Page 553 of 2682

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:39 pm UTC
by Pikrass
macraw83 wrote:I may be really dumb, but I don't understand how to get this to work. If I click on the .js link, it tries to open up TamperMonkey, but then nothing happens. If I try to save it, nothing happens. If I try to view the source code at the github link, github can't find it. Can anyone help? It would be awesome to have this tool at my fingertips while browsing the forum.

Hi! :)
The code has been moved to a proper repository, along with three other OTT-related scripts (one to remove spoilers for blitzers, another one to make quoting multiple messages more efficient2,3,5, and a last one to add an extra Hide button at the bottom of spoiler tags).

When clicking on the link, you should see a box saying "Do you want to install this userscript: in Tampermonkey (Ok) or natively in Chrome (Cancel)". Choose OK, then OK again and voilà. Refresh your OTT page and the script should do its job.

It's weird, I just tested the installation, by first removing the scripts then following the URLs again, and at first Tampermonkey hung on "please wait". I restarted Chrome and tried again and it worked fine.
Alternatively, you can try to click on the Tampermonkey button, then "Add script", then paste the code in there.

If the script shows up in the "Installed scripts" list1 but does nothing, maybe you're using another theme (newpix-convertor works with prosilver, the other aren't supported (yet)), or a custom date format. If you're not, please let me know. If you could send me the HTML code of one of the OTT pages I could be able to figure it out.

P.S : I send this both as a private message and on the OTT, so everyone can see it. Say "hello" to the Past for me! And insult it!

1 which you can see by going on the "add a script" page, then click on the "installed scripts" tab
2 It works by saving the quoted messages in the background, then dumping them in the text field when you're on the post page. So you have to hit the quote button for everything you want, then write all your replies. I plan on improving it a bit so you can reply just after clicking on "quote", and have your reply saved along with the quoted message4
3 I know, the footnote order is weird, but it's the order I wrote them
4 Wow, *that* was a pretty long footnote!
5 Too bad the BBCode parser gets confused with nested "sup"...

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:41 pm UTC
by BlitzGirl
ggh wrote:I also kinda wondered if there could be a place specifically for collecting major blitzes (forgive me if this already exists), like a "gospels" section on the wiki. Then, someone new, or rejoining after an absence, could peruse the Gospel According to the OTBG, or the Gospel According to PhoenixRising, or the Gospel According to Kryton, etcetera for a nicely-flavoured summary. <snip>

Did I just get a One True Acronym? *happydance* I actually do have a section called The Gospel of BlitzGirl that lists all my signposts, if that's the sort of thing you were thinking. And now, I'm going to try and follow mscha's lead and drop the subject, although it is very, very difficult to do as a former blitzer. We need to get past it. Either way, we continue upriver.

Angelastic wrote:It's true, I got the ham and cheese sandwiches part from her. But if I must have an official title, BlitzGirl, could you knight me as a Knight Temporal? Since I did show you the way to become the very first Knight Temporal.

Oh! I did not know I had this power. :D

I, BlitzGirl, Knight Temporal of the One True Comic, bestow upon thee, Angelastic, Archdeacon of buttermongery, the Knighthood Temporal, in recognition of true butteropoly, supreme ham-and-cheese-sandwiching, and creation of the unintentional haikuniverse. Arise, and continue Waiting for it!

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:48 pm UTC
by fhorn
Angelastic wrote:fhorn, I'm working on a parody of Moxy Früvous's My Baby Loves a Bunch of Authors; how do you like the intro?
Spoiler:
Wa be da be da da butter, wa be da be da da butter!

An excellent start!
Seriously, I just skim through most of the sigs, but yours always stopped me short, it was just so decisive and I was all "well I'm gonna sell butter too, so there, :P " even though I have NO INTENTIONS of ever selling butter and don't really know anything about butter sales and marketing.

edit: neither intention nor intentions.
also: I would like to sell butter, apparently through you.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:50 pm UTC
by azule
The English Instrumentalist Otter:
yappobiscuits wrote:
Spoiler:
Exodies wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:<snip>
Edit: oh. The instrumental I have is longer than the original. Anyone wanna write a fourth verse? :D Or it could just keep going "boom de yada" for a slightly awkwardly long amount of time...

I could do you a custom instrumental track if you want :) (I'm a musician/composer/producer type dude, not that anyone would know that yet as I haven't really properly introduced myself on these fora... but hey, you know now!)

Sure, whip it out as Frank would say. I think everyone would be delighted to hear it.

Alrighty then! Here's what I've cooked up... Instrumental version, and a version with my not-so-great singing for demonstrative purposes. I whapped out my ukulele for this one! Fun.
Are you kidding me?! This is awesome! and dorky! Yep, that's us, I guess. lol.
I think your accent is sexy. ;) Great vocal, no worries.
I was sorta expecting the instrumental version to transition slowly into an instrumental chorus, then I remembered it was a backing track. hehe. :)
mathrec wrote:(And you nailed the tricky bboz dr yndn.)
How did he do that? Audio editing, reordering of phonemes?

Rainbow Psychiatry:
PhoenixRising wrote:He's referring to the rainbow-colored post where you ranted extensively. IIRC you deliberately wrote it to appear as if you were insane.
You're right. And to clarify a point: Is a writer insane for writing an insane character, or a killer for writing a murderer? I'm a writer. :P To declarify the same point: Doesn't a writer have those qualities in them, or how else could they effectively illustrate these characters?

Nerd-sniping the Nerd-sniper:
katakombe wrote:
Spoiler:
done with post-coma ketchup.

just a thought about Randall (not) reading the fora.

i've been following xkcd and the fora since about half a year or a year (can't remember exactly, it's been a long time) after it's beginning. back then Randall did read the fora, and he did comment, discuss and answer questions about his comics. once the number of followers increased, this became a real chore for him and he stopped participating in the discussions. and to stop people from expecting demanding answers, he said so in the FAQ and on several occasions in the fora and so on. but he never actually said that he would never ever, ever read anything in the fora again.


so, i think it is very likely that either Randall Himself or some person close to him does read/skim this thread as it stands out for several reasons:

- the OTC is special, a lot of work, and i'm sure it does interest him how long we will WAIT FOR IT, what we do between Newpix, what we think about it, how many crazy theories we can come up with, what predictions and assumptions we make, etc.

- the OTT is incredibly long and still going strong (and i dare to bet that this is one of the longest forum threads on the whole internet that doesn't have a single flame war)

- the Waiting between Newpix sparks loads of creativity as evidenced by countless songs, poems, stories, spin-off comics, pictures, graphs, scripts, churches and the likes (and it seems we in turn have sparked Randalls creativity as quite some of the Other Comics since can be seen as a reference to the OTT, and even some of the events in the OTC are clearly referencing the OTT)

- the OTT has even created it's own language (or at least a whole set of specific vocabulary)
conclusion: i think we are nerd-sniping Randall about as much as he is nerd-sniping us.
Beautiful insight, katakombe. I appreciate this. I agree pretty verily.

OCD-challenged:
mathrec wrote:This may be my last full ketchup...just reverting to reading the last few pages when I return. :-(
Lucky you. I think the OCD among would find that hard to do, knowing we're missing so much. Good luck! I have to admit that I have "skimmed" some content when I get the gist of it (usually for repeat "helpful" information).

VD Scare:
woods wrote:Wow, I sure am glad I checked the OTT TWICE this weekend, otherwise I would have a lot of catching up to do. You guys are just riddled with tangents.
*phew* I was hoping it wasn't VD.

EMO PUNCTUATION:
Eoink wrote:
Spoiler:
I've just had a quick look back at the OTT, and it's safe to say that the majority of posters would fail a Turing Test :shock:

(I've noticed I tend to use smileys as punctuation, so I don't finish a sentence with a full stop (period) if using an emoticon, is that normal Netiquette or have I made this up?)
This makes sense. The period is replace by an exclamation point, so if you're expressing surprise or laughter replacing those with an expressive smiley makes all kinds of sense. (I like periods though.) :)

Large Gifts:
BlitzGirl wrote:Here's the largest size I have:
http://vpx.pl/i/2013/05/06/TimeThreadLarge.png
And now everyone can see my mistakes in full-sized glory! Yay?
I will, respectfully, not download that but I must ask: how large is it? That's what she said. ;)

Numerous Gifts:
Fake Valarya wrote:You get a cupcake! And you get a cupcake! And you get a cupcake! ...
Damn, I wish I was there that day.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:53 pm UTC
by Angelastic
BlitzGirl wrote:Oh! I did not know I had this power. :D
Any Knight Temporal can knight Knights temporal, as I understand it. :) In the beginning (that is to say, after you, and simultaneously before you) most people knighted their past selves from the future, but I figured it'd be extra special to be knighted by the first Knight, and extra time-loopy since I helped you to become a knight without actually knighting you.

BlitzGirl wrote:I, BlitzGirl, Knight Temporal of the One True Comic, bestow upon thee, Angelastic, Archdeacon of buttermongery, the Knighthood Temporal, in recognition of true butteropoly, supreme ham-and-cheese-sandwiching, and creation of the unintentional haikuniverse. Arise, and continue Waiting for it!
Yay! *arises, and continues Waiting for it* :D

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:00 pm UTC
by yappobiscuits
azule wrote:The English Instrumentalist Otter:
yappobiscuits wrote:Alrighty then! Here's what I've cooked up... Instrumental version, and a version with my not-so-great singing for demonstrative purposes. I whapped out my ukulele for this one! Fun.
Are you kidding me?! This is awesome! and dorky! Yep, that's us, I guess. lol.
I think your accent is sexy. ;) Great vocal, no worries.
I was sorta expecting the instrumental version to transition slowly into an instrumental chorus, then I remembered it was a backing track. hehe. :)

Hehe, thanks *blushes*

Also. "The English Instrumentalist Otter"... Love it, consider yourself sigged ;)
azule wrote:
mathrec wrote:(And you nailed the tricky bboz dr yndn.)
How did he do that? Audio editing, reordering of phonemes?

No, I did it in a really complex way. What I did was use my mouth in coordination with my vocal cords to form the sounds "bu-boz dur yndun". Very technical stuff, wouldn't expect anyone to understand ;)

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:04 pm UTC
by ergman
Back after another long day of monotonous outside to find that there has been a vast amount of exposition since I last read the OTC. We know there are other people now, as well as trees and stuff. Also this just occurred to me: they want the sea to stop rising so their sand castle will be safe. I don't know why I didn't realize it earlier really.

also I feel a little weird that pretty much everything I've posted has been wild speculation. I must someday participate in the other frivolities of the OTT

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:05 pm UTC
by spamjam
WOTYETANOTHERONG
Image

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:06 pm UTC
by KarMann
pelrigg wrote:
"This river doesn't look like that."

(Using my "out west" experience) The Gallatin River is small and white-water (esp. towards Yellowstone Park) while the Yellowstone River is wide and placid (esp. from Billings and downriver) so use of the word "river" can mean wildly different things.
Also, it shows they haven't done much exploring in this direction, since this river is much further than "their" river is and they know (somehow) there are people upstream from them.

I've been considering point out that, here in southern Arizona, half the things called "rivers" (or "rios") are what I'd call¹ a dry riverbed that gets some water flowing through it a few times a year. I don't really see eye-to-eye with this myself, but that's how they call them around here.

1: having lived most of my life in Wisconsin, a much more riparian² & wetter place than this
2: That word is ripe for use for the name of a religious sect.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:09 pm UTC
by lmjb1964
Caswallon wrote:
Spoiler:
lmjb1964 wrote:
pelrigg wrote:
I know directly mentioned "delta" here:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&start=21200#p3347603

and I swear I heard crickets as a response,
Two pages, later, "Hey, I think they're on a delta"


Where's my blankie when I need it..........

Edit
me and my speling


Just came across this quote from perlrigg. I think the one constant that we can count on in this thread is that every idea and theory will be posited at least twice, with the second (third, fourth, fifth, etc.) positer being absolutely sure they have just come up with the most brilliant original idea. Done it myself. It's not necessarily a bad thing. WIth this many posts, it's pretty unlikely anyone's going to remember everything that's been said. It's just proof that

1) we all spend way too much time (by which I mean just enough time) thinking about the OTC, and
2) great minds think alike....and so do ours.1

1 This is a joke, of course. I'm always amazing at the collective knowledge and cleverness on the OTT.2
2 Speaking of jokes, a while ago someone posted, "When will the drinking stop?" to which I replied, "I say that same thing every night." It's always bothered me that I didn't add a "just kidding." I hate to think that my fellow Waiters are all thinking, "Gee, that's really sad." I mean, it's true, but I don't want you guys thinking that.3
3 It's not really true.4
4 I'm sure that someone in the future has commented on the most recent OTT about footnotes being evidence that Randall follows the OTT at least to some degree. If so, I agree. A little too coincidental, methinks.


Of course, that has led to the fun game of "Have you actually read this thread? Someone already mentioned that here, here, and here. And it was explained with a really cool graph/picture here."1

1Has anyone noticed the javascript?2
2Dude! The images are incoded with Hashes! has anyone broken it yet!3
3Has anyone started a religion yet?


4Hey, has anyone noticed that the image keeps changing?

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:10 pm UTC
by Caswallon
ergman wrote:Back after another long day of monotonous outside to find that there has been a vast amount of exposition since I last read the OTC. We know there are other people now, as well as trees and stuff. Also this just occurred to me: they want the sea to stop rising so their sand castle will be safe. I don't know why I didn't realize it earlier really.

also I feel a little weird that pretty much everything I've posted has been wild speculation. I must someday participate in the other frivolities of the OTT

Wait, just thought of something. They have referred to 'Home' a few times now... I was under the assumption they had an actual home/cave/cardboard box behind an IKEA that they lived in off the beach. (And apparently near a river, that comes down from the people in the hills). Now I'm curious if the Castle & Platform is now home for them?

Although, Cueball did leave a few times with apparently the intent of going to his 'home'. Either way, this sort of changes my perspective on things. Plus, with the ever rising Sea1, after the Castle is underwater, I'm assuming their 'home' would be next.

1Which is big2
2And does what it wants.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:10 pm UTC
by Exodies
Valarya wrote:
Spoiler:
pelrigg wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
pelrigg wrote:
While past-posting is being discussed: PhoenixRising said:
I was just waiting for this. WP. (Also: this reminds me, I propose you be given the title of Witmaster. Although I don't have exact numbers, I'd swear you have more wikiquotes than anyone else, and most of those were humor.)

and I, in my HUMBle1-ness thought it was directed at me because I was in the quote used. I then saw {later} that it was directed at StratPlayer, which makes oodles more sense. (At least I didn't put set up a sig using that)

Edit added footnote
1Head Up My Butt -look everyone-


:lol: It's all good. I've also made replies to comments that weren't directed at me; wrote bad-verse with messed up meter because I couldn't count syllables (and went out of my way to call attention to it); got excited because I was the Pope of the "Pi" page -- on page 341 (and went out of my way to call attention to it); and -- most recently -- have posted a link to some gay porn fanfic that I didn't bother to read first.

And those are just the examples of cranial-rectal-insertion that have been caught....


So it was you I was paraphrasing when I was being called out about saying we passed 1190 frames while we were only at 1090.... (I did mention I was paraphrasing.)

Yesterday I noticed that 1000 (outside ) "hours" had passed Since The Beginning Of Time itself without a mention of it here on the OTT. However it did occur during the height of the server glitch that was on everyone's minds at the time.
Coincidence?
Also, wouldn't "Pi" page be 314 instead of 341? :P

Only literally.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:15 pm UTC
by SBN
Caswallon wrote:Wait, just thought of something. They have referred to 'Home' a few times now... I was under the assumption they had an actual home/cave/cardboard box behind an IKEA that they lived in off the beach. (And apparently near a river, that comes down from the people in the hills).

I hope their river doesn't actually come down from the people in the hills.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:16 pm UTC
by Exodies
KarMann wrote:
descor wrote:
Spoiler:
higgs-boson wrote:
ucim wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:Now... Epigones I tend to skip.
Well, I see your point, and I definitely agree that "Oooh, me too!" is never a great idea for a post or an action.
BlitzGirling is not done as a "me too" activity. It is done for deep personal enrichment. [...]

I'd be happy if one priorizes the readability of the thread over one's own need for self-discovery and self-fulfilment. So far we all may have changed during Time, and we may continue changing. Repeated reading of poster's posts trying to board a ship already sailed weeks ago* changes me in a way I don't like. If it is commonly accepted and encouraged to do so for whatever reason, I'll accept it, too, and part ways.
*Yes, I know. Blasphemy.

I guess each will have their own preference. I don't post ketchup postwalls, but mainly because I normally ketchup on my phone1, but I like reading other people's post walls and cheering on the Blitzers who are questing through the past. Could you not just skip the ketchup posts you don't like? Surely that beats parting ways?
1Not as messy as it sounds.

Oh my. I didn't think of it at the time, but last night, I actually ketchuped on my laptop keyboard leopard. As in, dropped a glob of the stuff from the burger I was eating. Something that very rarely happens to me; I'm usually a rather tidy eater. I think this is the first food or soda to get anything more than a crumb in it in the . . . 3 years? 4? that I've had it. (Fortunately, even then, it was a small enough drop that it was entirely on one key (PgDn), and didn't get between keys at all.)

PgDn. Ok. Someone make a note of that.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:19 pm UTC
by KarMann
pelrigg wrote:
StratPlayer wrote: :lol: It's all good. I've also made replies to comments that weren't directed at me; wrote bad-verse with messed up meter because I couldn't count syllables (and went out of my way to call attention to it); got excited because I was the Pope of the "Pi" page -- on page 341 (and went out of my way to call attention to it); and -- most recently -- have posted a link to some gay porn fanfic that I didn't bother to read first.

And those are just the examples of cranial-rectal-insertion that have been caught....

So it was you I was paraphrasing when I was being called out about saying we passed 1190 frames while we were only at 1090.... (I did mention I was paraphrasing.)

Yesterday I noticed that 1000 (outside ) "hours" had passed Since The Beginning Of Time itself without a mention of it here on the OTT. However it did occur during the height of the server glitch that was on everyone's minds at the time.
Coincidence?

Pfft. Amateur. Some overachievers are bumping us nearly a millennium¹ into the future:
burpen wrote:
Spoiler:
jello34543 wrote:
burpen wrote:
PacMan wrote:Has somebody already calculated, when exactly the frame number will reach the current comic's number? It should be number 1210 and happen sometime on thursday, if my rough guess is correct.

Are there any interesting meanings to that number?

I could have done some math wrong, and someone probably already calculated these, but I came up with:

Frame 1190 (possibly significant) - 2013-05-08 13:00 EDT, Unix timestamp 13682052001368032400
Frame 1210 (should match current comic's number) - 2013-05-11 09:00 EDT, Unix timestamp 1368277200
Frame 1209 - 2013-05-09 08:00 EDT, Unix timestamp 1368100800

If there's any meaning to those numbers, I have yet to see it.

edit: whoops, I had one of those off by 2 days... also, wrong timestamp on the first


What about the many (too lazy to go count) panels that made up Click and Drag? Also, those were individually huge, so shouldn't they count extra?

explainxkcd wrote:The click-and-drag portion of [1110] is divided up into 2592 sections of 2048x2048 pixels.

If you consider each comic number to be n + 2591, then it would collide on frame 3847 (comic 1256) at 2913-08-27 06:00 EDT.

...After doing that calculation, I realized you were maybe asking about when it would hit frame 2592. That would be 2013-07-05 23:00 EDT.

Also, since we all like powers of two:
Frame 2048 will fall on 2013-06-13 07:00 EDT.
Frame 4096 will fall on 2013-09-06 15:00 EDT.

Someone should really check my math though.

Now that's what I call "Waiting for it!"

1: Heresy! About 8,766,000 NewPices. I'll go get the chocolate myself.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:21 pm UTC
by Exodies
ChronosDragon wrote:
Spoiler:
Phew, first test down...2 more to go. Let's see what all y'all have been up to in the meanwhile.

descor wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:Wait, I'm a postbot? But I-- I'm aware-- By George, I must have achieved sentience! Haha, the Singularity is here!

Several years into the future:
jjjdavidson relaxes into a leather couch as the doctor looks over his wire-rimmed glasses at the wasted figure in front of him. He glances nervously at his clipboard once more and clears his throat.

"So Mr/Ms jjjdavidson

"Tell me when you first started believing you were a computer."


Oh it was about 3 years ago, when I realized that I was far to intelligent to be a mere human...
Wait, you weren't talking to me? Well now this is awkward.

yappobiscuits wrote:Alrighty then! Here's what I've cooked up... Instrumental version, and a version with my not-so-great singing for demonstrative purposes. I whapped out my ukulele for this one! Fun.


Wow, that's great! I don't really work with sound much at all, so I'd be glad to have someone who actually knows what they're doing on the job :D

yappobiscuits wrote:Smashing, ta! Expect a video soon-ish then, folks...


Welp, I guess you got the whole thing covered then :) If you want my vocal track, just say so. And whoever offered the HAL voice, go for it.

Oh dear. I thought this would happen. Don't abandon the project, ChronosDragon, everyone else who has offered to make the video is intent on doing a slide show. We need animation!

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:23 pm UTC
by ggh
BlitzGirl wrote:Did I just get a One True Acronym? *happydance* I actually do have a section called The Gospel of BlitzGirl that lists all my signposts, if that's the sort of thing you were thinking.

I can think of nothing more One True than you.

And so you do have a page already. Huh, thought you did, but didn't find it for some reason. Glad. I shall be returning there. :)

I certainly don't want to continue talking about it if it's making anyone raw, but yes, a section dedicated to such journeys would be cool, especially in that its range of pages summarized would keep growing.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:26 pm UTC
by lmjb1964
fhorn wrote:
Angelastic wrote:fhorn, I'm working on a parody of Moxy Früvous's My Baby Loves a Bunch of Authors; how do you like the intro?
Spoiler:
Wa be da be da da butter, wa be da be da da butter!

An excellent start!
Seriously, I just skim through most of the sigs, but yours always stopped me short, it was just so decisive and I was all "well I'm gonna sell butter too, so there, :P " even though I have NO INTENTIONS of ever selling butter and don't really know anything about butter sales and marketing.

edit: neither intention nor intentions.
also: I would like to sell butter, apparently through you.


I would like to point out that Angelastic did grant me the rights to sell three pixels of butter per hour. I really should put that in my sig. Who knows how many butter sales I've missed out on?

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:31 pm UTC
by Opiboble
Has helper gone missing again??? I am starting to think we will have to put her missing milk carton on a milk carton...

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:34 pm UTC
by SBN
ggh wrote:I certainly don't want to continue talking about it if it's making anyone raw, but yes, a section dedicated to such journeys would be cool, especially in that its range of pages summarized would keep growing.

For what it's worth, there is little that makes me more raw than refusing to continue a discussion because there is a difference of opinion. That leaves only a zillion posts of "me too" and "I totally agree" and where's the fun in that? I never intended what I said to be rules2, just guidelines, and trying to find what suited most people the most. I do think we should add the other gospels for the other blitzers.
And yes, I realize everyone can post what they want, and read what they want, but given that this is, "possibly the most civilized place on the internet that I have ever frequented1" wouldn't it seem likely that people would like to know how to make their posts more pleasing? How can we do that without a discussion?

1Mscha, Mon May 06, 2013 5:04 pm, OTT
2Except for the label and hide the flashy-things. That one should be a rule.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:44 pm UTC
by Opiboble
SBN wrote:
ggh wrote:I certainly don't want to continue talking about it if it's making anyone raw, but yes, a section dedicated to such journeys would be cool, especially in that its range of pages summarized would keep growing.

For what it's worth, there is little that makes me more raw than refusing to continue a discussion because there is a difference of opinion. That leaves only a zillion posts of "me too" and "I totally agree" and where's the fun in that? I never intended what I said to be rules2, just guidelines, and trying to find what suited most people the most. I do think we should add the other gospels for the other blitzers.
And yes, I realize everyone can post what they want, and read what they want, but given that this is, "possibly the most civilized place on the internet that I have ever frequented1" wouldn't it seem likely that people would like to know how to make their posts more pleasing? How can we do that without a discussion?

1Mscha, Mon May 06, 2013 5:04 pm, OTT
2Except for the label and hide the flashy-things. That one should be a rule.


Yeah, the flashy thing is the One True Rule of the OTT.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:51 pm UTC
by ChronosDragon
Exodies wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:Smashing, ta! Expect a video soon-ish then, folks...


Welp, I guess you got the whole thing covered then :) If you want my vocal track, just say so. And whoever offered the HAL voice, go for it.

Oh dear. I thought this would happen. Don't abandon the project, ChronosDragon, everyone else who has offered to make the video is intent on doing a slide show. We need animation!


All right, fair enough! I'll starting cooking something up, I guess :)

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:00 pm UTC
by ergman
AMIRIGHTORWR ONG
Image

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:13 pm UTC
by descor
ergman wrote:AMIRIGHTORWR ONG
Spoiler:
Image

So, will the next few newpix be following Cueball's journey upstream from behind again or will we get another camera switch?

Any of our prophets care to weigh in?

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:15 pm UTC
by Opiboble
descor wrote:
ergman wrote:AMIRIGHTORWR ONG
Spoiler:
Image

So, will the next few newpix be following Cueball's journey upstream from behind again or will we get another camera switch?

Any of our prophets care to weigh in?


I suspect a side view again.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:18 pm UTC
by SBN
descor wrote:
ergman wrote:AMIRIGHTORWR ONG
Spoiler:
Image

So, will the next few newpix be following Cueball's journey upstream from behind again or will we get another camera switch?

Any of our prophets care to weigh in?

I'm going to guess camera switch.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:28 pm UTC
by lmjb1964
StratPlayer wrote:"Ketchup Blitz"
(to the tune of "Ballroom Blitz" by Sweet

Spoiler:
Are you ready HAL?
(uh-huh)
Buffy?
(yeah)
BlitzGirl?
(okay)
Well, alright Waiters -- let's go!!!

Oh, it's been getting so hard,
Waiting when there's so much more to see, aha
My screen is getting so strange,
I won't remember everything I read

Oh, there's a post with a graph
as a matter of fact, with colors as red as the sun
and before I recover, I come to another --
it blurs into the previous one

Oh yeah, posts come like lightning
Everybody is typing
Plus there's music and and photos
and bad puns and inuendos
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah

And the girl with hats says
"my queue is stacked" and I'm stuck in a ketchup blitz
And the gif that's annoying needs
to have a warning -- it'll wreck your ketchup blitz!

Ketchup Blitz
Ketchup Blitz
Ketchup Blitz
Ketchup Blitz

Oh, I trying to be ketchup'd
But there's nothing I can do
except keep reading over
posts from the past until I am through, aha

Now the post with the graph's
been quoted with a laugh, and everyone seems to try
to newpic on the gong, or post a cool song --
I'll be ten pages behind 'til I die!

Oh yeah, it seems electric
and frantically hectic,
Because the more I keep reading,
Still the future's receding!

And the girl with hats says
"my queue is stacked" and I'm stuck in a ketchup blitz
And the gif that's annoying needs
to have a warning -- it'll wreck your ketchup blitz!

Ketchup Blitz
Ketchup Blitz
Ketchup Blitz
Ketchup Blitz

It's, it's, a Ketchup Blitz
It's, it's, a Ketchup Blitz
It's, it's, a Ketchup Blitz
It's, it's, a Ketchup Blitz
It's a Ketchup Blitz!!!


Ballroom Blitz! I can't believe someone didn't come up with this sooner. Why didn't I think of that? Another perfect StratPlayer effort.

StratPlayer wrote:
Valarya wrote:I love you.


Thanks. That's Sweet of you.

See what I did there? That's "Sweet" of you?!?! Bwwahhahah!!! *sigh* I crack me up...


Groooaann... and then you ruin it with a terrible pun. (I'm kidding. I love puns, and that whole thing made me laugh. You crack me up too!)

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:30 pm UTC
by descor
SBN wrote:
descor wrote:
ergman wrote:AMIRIGHTORWR ONG
Spoiler:
Image

So, will the next few newpix be following Cueball's journey upstream from behind again or will we get another camera switch?

Any of our prophets care to weigh in?

I'm going to guess camera switch.

Perhaps BlitzGirl'll1 get her wish of an overhead view?

1That is fun to both read, write and say ... try it!

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:35 pm UTC
by KarMann
descor wrote:
Spoiler:
SBN wrote:
descor wrote:
ergman wrote:AMIRIGHTORWR ONG
Image

So, will the next few newpix be following Cueball's journey upstream from behind again or will we get another camera switch?

Any of our prophets care to weigh in?

I'm going to guess camera switch.

Perhaps BlitzGirl'll1 get her wish of an overhead view?

1That is fun to both read, write and say ... try it!

Except, I'm pretty sure it was buffygirl who wished for and gave an example of the overhead view, wasn't it? Though the "...[Gg]irl'll" part comes out the same either way.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:36 pm UTC
by descor
KarMann wrote:
descor wrote:
Spoiler:
SBN wrote:
descor wrote:
ergman wrote:AMIRIGHTORWR ONG
Image

So, will the next few newpix be following Cueball's journey upstream from behind again or will we get another camera switch?

Any of our prophets care to weigh in?

I'm going to guess camera switch.

Perhaps BlitzGirl'll1 get her wish of an overhead view?

1That is fun to both read, write and say ... try it!

Except, I'm pretty sure it was buffygirl who wished for and gave an example of the overhead view, wasn't it? Though the "...[Gg]irl'll" part comes out the same either way.

Bugger, I couldn't remember which one it was and tried searching to no avail. I figured I had a 50:50 chance if I guessed!

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:37 pm UTC
by woods
azule wrote:VD Scare:
woods wrote:Wow, I sure am glad I checked the OTT TWICE this weekend, otherwise I would have a lot of catching up to do. You guys are just riddled with tangents.
*phew* I was hoping it wasn't VD.


And VD.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:37 pm UTC
by Latent22
Hey guys I have a question for you. What would you call a unit of time equal to 24 newpix? This would be half an outside day for the first 240 newpix and then one outside day after that?

The reason I ask is that I thought it would be a good idea to help solve the constant recycling of blitz posts on the forum to create a new place on the wiki. Create one Page per 24 newpix. At the top there would be a header stating the newpix from-to and outside date/time range. Then below that would be a quick summery of the mood/ideas from that period on the Thread. And below that there would be a place to just add as much quotes/observations/analysis of the thread during that period. This bottom bit could grow as long as it wants and be added to but the top summery would need to be kept concise.

Also note that this is not a page about the OTC it is about the OTT and its views on the OTC at this point in Time. There are other places on the wiki for analysis of the OTC at different Periods etc.

Also to be added to each of these wiki pages could be stats on Total posts and top posters etc. Or links to external thread stats pages that have already been done maybe if they had an option to pass a newpix range in via URL.

So back to my original question. What would we call this 24 newpix unit of time? It does relate to outside days sort of but to follow the true flow of Time it is half outside days at the start so 'day' is not a good term on its own. newDay maybe? I don't know really so any ideas are welcome.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:38 pm UTC
by KarMann
descor wrote:
KarMann wrote:
descor wrote:
Spoiler:
SBN wrote:
descor wrote:
ergman wrote:AMIRIGHTORWR ONG
Image

So, will the next few newpix be following Cueball's journey upstream from behind again or will we get another camera switch?

Any of our prophets care to weigh in?

I'm going to guess camera switch.

Perhaps BlitzGirl'll1 get her wish of an overhead view?

1That is fun to both read, write and say ... try it!

Except, I'm pretty sure it was buffygirl who wished for and gave an example of the overhead view, wasn't it? Though the "...[Gg]irl'll" part comes out the same either way.

Bugger, I couldn't remember which one it was and tried searching to no avail. I figured I had a 50:50 chance if I guessed!

Actually, I was already trying some simple search and coming up empty, but some allusion makes me think you were right, and it was BlitzGirl after all. Well, maybe I'll just wait for one of them to clarify.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:43 pm UTC
by Eternal Density
ucim wrote:...
The river of time is broad1, and people pass through it, some for a time, and some for all of Time, as fits their own state. However and wherever you choose to partake, or to abstain, you will be welcome.

Jose
1not to be confused with the River of Tam, who is a ... "overseas" . :)

Ceiling River1 sees what you did there.
Image

1Small

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:43 pm UTC
by mscha
Latent22 wrote:Hey guys I have a question for you. What would you call a unit of time equal to 24 newpix? This would be half an outside day for the first 240 newpix and then one outside day after that?

Ikositesseranewpix icositetranewpix?

Edit: that was modern Greek, found classical Greek prefixes here.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:44 pm UTC
by vvn
I watched the Doctor Who episode "Power of Three", and was hugely amused at:
Spoiler:
Overnight billions of small black cubes apparently appeared all over the world. My first thought was "The pixels of Time have fallen apart, and are in the world now."
vlcsnap-2013-05-06-16h26m35s129.png

The boxes don't do anything, so The Doctor decides they have to watch them, to see what they might do.
powerofthree_2345508b.jpg

One character spends a year doing nothing buy watching a cube. He records it at night, and blitzes fast forwards in the morning, in case it does something while he sleeps.
vlcsnap-2013-05-06-16h28m49s53.png

This seemed to fit so perfectly in with the OTC, it felt like they were in sync.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:46 pm UTC
by descor
mscha wrote:
Latent22 wrote:Hey guys I have a question for you. What would you call a unit of time equal to 24 newpix? This would be half an outside day for the first 240 newpix and then one outside day after that?

Ikositesseranewpix?

A xivnewpix? Or a xivnp?

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:48 pm UTC
by mscha
vvn wrote:I watched the Doctor Who episode "Power of Three", and was hugely amused at:
(snip)
This seemed to fit so perfectly in with the OTC, it felt like they were in sync.

Forgot about that. Indeed it fits. That probably means that (note: proper spoiler for this episode of Doctor Who!):
Spoiler:
in a year, we'll have come to the conclusion that the newpix are harmless ... and that's when they come to life and start killing us!

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:01 am UTC
by KarMann
NEWPONG!!
Image

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:06 am UTC
by HAL9000
I guess we're back to seeing them from behind. But will our viewpoint resume its previous distance, or remain closer to them?
Also, post #22122 in this thread! I like palindrome numbers.