1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

mscha

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Tue May 07, 2013 12:08 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:I guess we're back to seeing them from behind. But will our viewpoint resume its previous distance, or remain closer to them?

We'll have to wait and see. The camera hasn't moved yet, the landscape is identical to the previous frames. Next one is probably the one where we see movement, and then we'll know whether we follow them on the side or from behind, and what the zoom will be.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Tue May 07, 2013 12:14 am UTC

mscha wrote:
Latent22 wrote:Hey guys I have a question for you. What would you call a unit of time equal to 24 newpix? This would be half an outside day for the first 240 newpix and then one outside day after that?

Ikositesseranewpix icositetranewpix?

Edit: that was modern Greek, found classical Greek prefixes here.

interesting idea :) bit hard to say or remember though... was looking for something a bit simpler to understand. The problem is that just calling it something simple like days is too heretical. Would be nice to be able to measure the OTT in these new icositetranewpix units so that the title of each wiki page could be "OTT icositetranewpix 4" or something similar.

descor wrote:A xivnewpix? Or a xivnp?

These are shorter :) The problem is this is also something that will cause much confusion and is not simple to say as it has to be pronounced "X I V newpix" which is not ideal.

vvn

Postby vvn » Tue May 07, 2013 12:17 am UTC

cari.j.elliot wrote: At least when I left, the footnotes were becoming a thing.
Spoiler:

We found no evidence for it in out data.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Tue May 07, 2013 12:23 am UTC

An old song (24 Outside days, 578 Newpix!) updated. I was going to just post several new verses, but then I realized I was nearly doubling the length of the song and changing the verse order besides, so I thought I might as well drag the whole thing forward. Spoilered for the sake of skimmers and scrollers.

Old Time Religion
(With thanks to Eoink and KarMann who originally inspired me to this, and to BlitzGirl11 and all the others who've inspired me to continue it.)
Spoiler:
Gimme that old Time religion,
It's good enough for me!

Th'One True Comic, we adore it,
Ev'ry Timeframe brings us more Writ,
As we rally to: "Wait for it."--
--That's good enough for me.
(chorus)

Be it Timeframe, Long-, or Newpix,
We will wait our chance to view Pix
Built from grains of ancient comix1,
And that's good enough for me.
(chorus)

Here where neither night nor day run
We watch Cueball build with Megan
And await more trebuchet fun
(chorus)

Waiters split in sev'ral schisms:
Finitisms and Loopisms.
But no flame-war cataclysms!
(chorus)

We proclaim the Knights Temporal
Couched in language rather floral;
With our Mome we'll never quarrel2
'Cause she's good enough for we.
(chorus)

You may know us by aroma3;
We've no Time for care of soma;
Scarcely bathe and rarely coma
But that's good enough for me.
(chorus)

Post of each new flag and tower;
Thread length growing by the hour4;
Reach 216
--I'll say, "Good enough for me!"
(chorus)

Ev'ry Frame new ONGs are ventured.
Let your feelings be not injured
When you're sneaky-edit-ninjer'd5,
(chorus)

We develop our own jargon;
Ask, "Where's Helper's avatar6 gone?"
Yes, we really are that far gone,
But it's good enough for me.
(chorus)

Fades and false loops start us whirling,
But the story keeps unfurling,
As new Waiters start BlitzGirling7,
And it's good enough for me!
(chorus)

So much new terrain is plotted,
With a far bank barely spotted,
When Time's servers8 get slashdotted!
But they're good enough for me.
(chorus)

Of Time's songs we've an armada.
Write 'em fresh; filk when we gotta.
Say, what rhymes with "Boom de yada"?9
Well, that's good enough for me.
(chorus)

Waiting for the final chapter
We debate which end is apter:
Rising tide or rav'ning 'raptor?
IT's not good enough for me.10
(chorus; repeat to fadeout)

1. Soilant Black is pixels! Soilant Black is pixels!
2. As long as we have cake.
3. Clearly this verse refers to some ascetic or even anchorite sect; no self-respecting Knight Temporal would allow himself to become unclean.
4. Hour: a mythical unit of duration said to correspond roughly to one or two Newpix; usually used poetically.
5. Okay, I'm no W.S. Gilbert. You try to find rhymes for ninja.
6. "Hey, he's back!"
7. Or Blitzgirling or blitzgirling; she's not picky.
8. OTC servers, not NTP servers. (Nerd joke.)
9. Bboz dr yndn!
10. I was originally going to make each word in this verse link to a different End-of-Time theory. But I got lazy, and apparently stayed lazy. Sorry.
11. BlitzGirl's referenced here directly or by footnote at least three times; it's embarrassingly obvious I've developed a crush on her.
16. Ceci n'est pas une footnote.

Okay, now it's your turn. (Not-really-necessary explanation of why spoilered below.) Feel free to add verses yourself; just don't be offended if I edit them for meter, because (as previously noted) I'm anal about meter and rhyme. Or if you have a set of clever (or painful punful) rhymes, drop me a PM and I'll try to write a verse that uses them.
Spoiler:
In the Society for Creative Anachronism, the other unusual (read, non-Mundane) community I inhabit, dozens of bards have added their own verses to the SCA filk of this song, so that it's said to run to several hundred verses in all. The goal was to create a verse for every major and minor god and goddess, magical race, or major monster in every pantheon and mythos known to Western history. For example:

We all sing of Aphrodite;
She'll be out there in her nighty;
She is kind of wild and flighty;
But she's good enough for me!
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Tue May 07, 2013 12:38 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:So back to my original question. What would we call this 24 newpix unit of time? It does relate to outside days sort of but to follow the true flow of Time it is half outside days at the start so 'day' is not a good term on its own. newDay maybe? I don't know really so any ideas are welcome.
xip = a collection of newpix, the word resembling "zip", like a zip-file, and it is "pix" backwards.
I also like newDay well enough.

fhorn wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:... it's pretty unlikely anyone's going to remember everything that's been said.

Here's one I'm wondering about: What's the origin of Angelastic's butter monopoly?
And her buttmongery?

That is correct, right?

vvn wrote:I watched the Doctor Who episode "Power of Three". This seemed to fit so perfectly in with the OTC, it felt like they were in sync.
Doctor Who sounds like an intriguing show. I wish I had TV again. :cry:

woods wrote:And VD.
:(

Exodies wrote:
KarMann wrote:(Fortunately, even then, it was a small enough drop that it was entirely on one key (PgDn), and didn't get between keys at all.)

PgDn. Ok. Someone make a note of that.
It looks like Cueball to me. IT'S A SIGN! A holy message. OTPgDn.

yappobiscuits wrote:Love it, consider yourself sigged ;)
*considers* Woot! Now I can finally leave. *leaves*
Last edited by azule on Tue May 07, 2013 12:41 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Tue May 07, 2013 12:39 am UTC

Sometimes I get so caught up in the OTT when I'm mini-blitzing, that I find myself scrolling past the newpix just so I can keep reading what has been said by err'one, only to realize I completely skipped/missed/didn't pay attention to the comic¹! Then I realize what I've done, shake my head at myself, and scroll back up to find the newpix. :oops:

¹ : only when the replies aren't directly related to the newpix.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Tue May 07, 2013 12:46 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
Spoiler:
descor wrote:
KarMann wrote:
descor wrote:
SBN wrote:
descor wrote:
ergman wrote:AMIRIGHTORWR ONG

So, will the next few newpix be following Cueball's journey upstream from behind again or will we get another camera switch?

Any of our prophets care to weigh in?

I'm going to guess camera switch.

Perhaps BlitzGirl'll1 get her wish of an overhead view?

1That is fun to both read, write and say ... try it!

Except, I'm pretty sure it was buffygirl who wished for and gave an example of the overhead view, wasn't it? Though the "...[Gg]irl'll" part comes out the same either way.

Bugger, I couldn't remember which one it was and tried searching to no avail. I figured I had a 50:50 chance if I guessed!

Actually, I was already trying some simple search and coming up empty, but some allusion makes me think you were right, and it was BlitzGirl after all. Well, maybe I'll just wait for one of them to clarify.

Clarifying:
Well, I'm not sure who was very first, but I mentioned it on page 317, for TimeFrame 589:
buffygirl wrote:A couple of hypotheses:
- At some point we will pan up and over to a birds-eye view and from that angle all of our questions will be answered.
- <snip>

EDIT: Added the snip, to be consistent with the term "a couple"
Last edited by buffygirl on Tue May 07, 2013 1:05 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Tue May 07, 2013 12:55 am UTC

azule wrote:
Latent22 wrote:So back to my original question. What would we call this 24 newpix unit of time? It does relate to outside days sort of but to follow the true flow of Time it is half outside days at the start so 'day' is not a good term on its own. newDay maybe? I don't know really so any ideas are welcome.
xip = a collection of newpix, the word resembling "zip", like a zip-file, and it is "pix" backwards.

xip/newDay/Newday/icositetra[new]pix: This/these. Always 24 Newpix/Timeframes/Frames per xip/Newday/icositetrapix, so that there are two ITP per Outside/heretic/mundane day early on, and 1 newDay per day later. (You know, Waiters/Timewaiters/Initiates/Knights aren't really known for settling on one single term for something.)

ETA:
buffygirl wrote:
KarMann wrote:Actually, I was already trying some simple search and coming up empty, but some allusion makes me think you were right, and it was BlitzGirl after all. Well, maybe I'll just wait for one of them to clarify.

Clarifying:
Well, I'm not sure who was very first, but I mentioned it on page 317, for TimeFrame 589:
- At some point we will pan up and over to a birds-eye view and from that angle all of our questions will be answered.

It was BlitzGirl on page 531 who pointed out the potential problem with a bird's-eye view...
Last edited by jjjdavidson on Tue May 07, 2013 1:03 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

Copernicium112

Postby Copernicium112 » Tue May 07, 2013 1:00 am UTC

ETERNALLY MEANDERONGGGGG
Added: Woo! Camera rotations are fun!
Crescat tempus; vita excolatur

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Tue May 07, 2013 1:04 am UTC

azule wrote:xip = a collection of newpix, the word resembling "zip", like a zip-file, and it is "pix" backwards.\

wip = week;
mip = month;
yip = year.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Tue May 07, 2013 1:07 am UTC

azule wrote:
azule wrote:xip = a collection of newpix, the word resembling "zip", like a zip-file, and it is "pix" backwards.\

wip = week;
mip = month;
yip = year.

Simple and easy to remember. I like!
Except that it is utterly heretical, according to the original TimeWaiters doctrines.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Tue May 07, 2013 1:09 am UTC

For fhorn
Attachments
fhorn-hat.png
fhorn-hat.png (22.01 KiB) Viewed 17470 times
fhorn.jpg
fhorn.jpg (12.2 KiB) Viewed 17470 times

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Tue May 07, 2013 1:10 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:
azule wrote:

wip = week;
mip = month;
yip = year.

Simple and easy to remember. I like!

And, should we need them,
dip = decade
cip = century
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Tue May 07, 2013 1:15 am UTC

azule wrote:

wip = week;
mip = month;
yip = year.

And how many xips do we have in our week? 7? do we have wip'ends to rest and recover?
How many xips or wips in one mip? 31, 30 or 28 xips? Or 4 wips?
Do different mips have different names or different lengths?
And finally how many mips in one yip?

So many questions and options...

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Tue May 07, 2013 1:15 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:<snip>
ETA:
buffygirl wrote:
KarMann wrote:Actually, I was already trying some simple search and coming up empty, but some allusion makes me think you were right, and it was BlitzGirl after all. Well, maybe I'll just wait for one of them to clarify.

Clarifying:

It was BlitzGirl on page 531 who pointed out the potential problem with a bird's-eye view...

Oh! yes, yes. That was definitely not me. I misunderstood the discussion.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Tue May 07, 2013 1:16 am UTC

Aaaand we're walking!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

htom

Postby htom » Tue May 07, 2013 1:18 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
azule wrote:

xip/newDay/Newday/icositetra[new]pix: This/these. Always 24 Newpix/Timeframes/Frames per xip/Newday/icositetrapix, so that there are two ITP per Outside/heretic/mundane day early on, and 1 newDay per day later. (You know, Waiters/Timewaiters/Initiates/Knights aren't really known for settling on one single term for something.)

azule wrote:

wip = week;
mip = month;
yip = year.

---

And how many xips do we have in our week? 7? do we have wip'ends to rest and recover?
How many xips or wips in one mip? 31, 30 or 28 xips? Or 4 wips?
Do different mips have different names or different lengths?
And finally how many mips in one yip?

So many questions and options...

I thought "OutDay", "OutWeek", ... containing whatever number of newpix that occur in the period they would consider appropriate. Really it's a measurement from the outside of the OTC looking in, and it would be based on their units of day, week, month .... and the counting of newpix is not how they measure things. In one OutDay there are 47, in that one 48, that string seems to each have 24 ... their measures are very arbitrary. Four different lengths for an OutMonth, and one of those has a variable number of OutDays!
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Tue May 07, 2013 1:22 am UTC

descor wrote:
SBN wrote:
Spoiler:
fhorn wrote:
SBN wrote:
Angelastic wrote:So many popes/momes/motes, knights and cardinals, but we don't have any archdeacons yet. Can I be the Archdeacon of Buttermongery?

Yes, but what of the monopoly? What if I wish to sell butter? It can only be done... wait for it....... THROUGH HER :shock: This is the only condition set on commerce that I know of here on the OTT.

p.s. Angelastic, your River Valley post came up shortly after my original question, and I swear I SCOURED that thing for a mention of butter, thinking it was a response! :lol:

It was quite a lawless time in the OTT then, posters were able to claim titles and rights as they saw fit, and no one complained, for they saw their own chance to seize some power for themselves. And, now it has all been codified, so changing it will be a lot of effort. But hey, feel free to grab some other monopoly for yourself.

To be fair, everything had to be ratified by buffygirl. Somehow she seized power after Helper went AWOL - the rest of us meakly settled for minor roles in her puppet government.

who, me?
squirms a little uncomfortably

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Tue May 07, 2013 1:30 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
Spoiler:
buffygirl wrote:

Clarifying:

Yep, that's absolutely the one I was thinking of, and so I was absolutely wrong about who it was. Well, other than getting the initials BG right. Thanks for digging that up!
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

fatness

Postby fatness » Tue May 07, 2013 1:31 am UTC

htom wrote:Four different lengths for an OutMonth, and one of those has a variable number of OutDays!

Indeed. Shall that be in a leapyip?

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Tue May 07, 2013 1:32 am UTC

fatness wrote:
htom wrote:Four different lengths for an OutMonth, and one of those has a variable number of OutDays!

Indeed. Shall that be in a leapyip?

I know some may consider this heretical, but I'm going to continue to use regular Earth days, months, and years. Others are welcome to join me in sticking to methods predating Time.
Last edited by HAL9000 on Tue May 07, 2013 1:33 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Tue May 07, 2013 1:33 am UTC

I think I'm close to 90 newpages behind... but for now I wish to contribute more than catch up. I strongly feel there will come a Time when It arrives, and that will be when I can sit back and follow the trail once more.

With that said, I'm sorry if I am duplicating anything... did anyone make this image yet?

Frames 1096- 1120:
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Tue May 07, 2013 1:34 am UTC

Kieryn wrote:I think I'm close to 90 newpages behind... but for now I wish to contribute more than catch up. I strongly feel there will come a Time when It arrives, and that will be when I can sit back and follow the trail once more.

With that said, I'm sorry if I am duplicating anything... did anyone make this image yet?

Frames 1096- 1120:
Spoiler:

mscha animated the island section, and there was a 3d version of that part as well, but nobody's posted something showing all of them at once. Thanks!
EDIT: never never never overlap spoilers and quotes.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

vvn

Postby vvn » Tue May 07, 2013 1:37 am UTC

Valarya wrote:Also, wouldn't "Pi" page be 314 instead of 341? :P

Not if you start at digit 1419. Probably a prediction for the end of the OTC.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Tue May 07, 2013 1:38 am UTC

htom wrote:I thought "OutDay", "OutWeek", ... containing whatever number of newpix that occur in the period they would consider appropriate. Really it's a measurement from the outside of the OTC looking in, and it would be based on their units of day, week, month .... and the counting of newpix is not how they measure things. In one OutDay there are 47, in that one 48, that string seems to each have 24 ... their measures are very arbitrary. Four different lengths for an OutMonth, and one of those has a variable number of OutDays!

Yeah I thought of doing it using outside time only but 24 newpix is quite good in some ways as it means each wiki page is dealing with the same amount of OTC TIME and the OTT had twice the traffic during the first 240 newpix so by doing it this way it evens out the amount of forum posts per wiki summery page.

One idea is just to make the title of each page something like "OTT Summery np1-24", "OTT Summery np25-48" etc or something similar. But if there was a simple term like xip or newDay that was easy for us and new people to the OTT would understand easily it would be cool.

LankieBlonde

Postby LankieBlonde » Tue May 07, 2013 1:39 am UTC

Hi. Decided to post an update of how far I am. I'm on page 38. Cueball is fixing the first castle after having falling and knocking part of it over.
Bye :D
Spoiler:
riverssong wrote:
riverssong wrote:I WAITED A HALF HOUR FOR ONE DARKENING PIXEL.

AND THEN
I DID IT AGAIN.

lovepirate wrote:Anyone else feel like in the end we'll see sand letters that spell out B-E-S-U-R-E-T-O-D-R-I-N-K-Y-O-U-R-O-V-A-L-T-I-N-E?

Wait for it.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Tue May 07, 2013 1:41 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
Kieryn wrote:I think I'm close to 90 newpages behind... but for now I wish to contribute more than catch up. I strongly feel there will come a Time when It arrives, and that will be when I can sit back and follow the trail once more.

Frames 1096- 1120:
Spoiler:

mscha animated the island section, and there was a 3d version of that part as well, but nobody's posted something showing all of them at once. Thanks!

Cool, glad I did something original :-) I thought it would be a good way to visualize the shape of the landscape.

HAL9000 wrote:EDIT: never never never overlap spoilers and quotes.

Yes... thanks... actually, that kind of thing breaks my parser and those posts are skipped...
Image- Kieryn

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Tue May 07, 2013 1:47 am UTC

Kieryn wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

Frames 1096- 1120:
Spoiler:

Cool, glad I did something original :-) I thought it would be a good way to visualize the shape of the landscape.

One thing to note from that picture is how much they have shrunk as they travel up the river. I would assume that since they are getting smaller the camera is kind of zoomed out more. Or maybe the camera is fixed and its taking an x-ray view of them as they travel further away. Either way the river would be getting wider and we would need to zoom it in so M&C are the same height in all frames to compare the width of the river.

Looking closely the zoom is very slight. Only really get shorter in the last 2 frames. Most of the other frames they are a very consistent height. Maybe the last two frames where we can see the steep far side bit the zoom has changed but it was constant before that
Last edited by Latent22 on Tue May 07, 2013 1:57 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Tue May 07, 2013 1:54 am UTC

Caswallon wrote:Considering the rate of Newpages, its almost necessary for anyone to Blitzpost if they are away for any length of time, (e.g. Coma, Outsider work, etc..)

Yes, newpages remain fast and steady. Though according to latest chart data, post rates have settled back down to pre-BlitzGirl-arrival levels

Edit:to add link
Image- Kieryn

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Tue May 07, 2013 1:55 am UTC

Kieryn wrote:
Caswallon wrote:Considering the rate of Newpages, its almost necessary for anyone to Blitzpost if they are away for any length of time, (e.g. Coma, Outsider work, etc..)

Yes, newpages remain fast and steady. Though according to latest chart data, post rates have settled back down to pre-BlitzGirl-arrival levels

Edit:to add link

Indeed they have. I only had 4ish newpages to read this morning after my coma.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Tue May 07, 2013 1:57 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

Frames 1096- 1120:
Spoiler:

One thing to note from that picture is how much they have shrunk as they travel up the river. I would assume that since they are getting smaller the camera is kind of zoomed out more. Or maybe the camera is fixed and its taking an x-ray view of them as they travel further away. Either way the river would be getting wider and we would need to zoom it in so M&C are the same height in all frames to compare the width of the river.

I think they only really shrink in the last 3 frames, so until that point I think the picture is fairly accurate.
Image- Kieryn

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Tue May 07, 2013 1:59 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:
Spoiler:
buffygirl wrote:

Clarifying:

Yep, that's absolutely the one I was thinking of, and so I was absolutely wrong about who it was. Well, other than getting the initials BG right. Thanks for digging that up!

Maybe the image I just made is a potential solution?
Spoiler:
Image- Kieryn

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue May 07, 2013 2:09 am UTC

Spoilered for wall-of-replies length:
  • Eoink: re. smileys as punctuation
  • Valarya: re. Aubronwood
  • SBN and mscha: re. blitzposting
  • fhorn: re. butter monopoly
  • ggh: re. collection of the Holy Gospels (or BlitzBooks - I kind of like that term :)
  • jjjdavidson: re. BlitzGirl references in his filk
  • Latent22: re time units (xips, wips, etc)
  • StratPlayer: re. what we can learn from the river trek
Spoiler:
Eoink wrote:(I've noticed I tend to use smileys as punctuation, so I don't finish a sentence with a full stop (period) if using an emoticon, is that normal Netiquette or have I made this up?)
I add the emoticon after the punctuation (if it occurs after a sentence), but I sometimes use a smiley as a close paren (like this :) and that could leave some people with unresolved angst for the rest of the day. The solution of course is to stop turning emoticons into graven images. That is sacrilege.

Valarya wrote:Well at least [Aubronwood] still exists!! He slapped that page all up in the OTT and just *poof* disappeared.
I've been wondering about him for a long time now. I just figured it's the way of the saints.

SBN wrote:Not completely sure if there is a consensus, but from what I've seen, I'd recommend.
[...]
Don't quote other Blitzers in your Blitzposts.
[...]
I'm not sure I fully agree with this one. If you are responding to something, quote what you need for context - just don't quote another entire blitzpost! (In general, edit your quotes - but that goes for everyone.) But Blitzers should be mindful that the context will have changed for the future to which they are transmitting the post.

I would add that Blitzers should not simply report passing their own signposts for its own sake (at least not after the first one or two, which are always exciting), and should not report passing other Blitzers' signposts unless there is great relevance (which should then be elaborated upon).

We should also note that communicating with time travelers can only be done through one who was in the OTT far enough in the past to reach the time traveler, and who posted often enough at that time for the sig to be noticed. Time travelers cannot read messages in our present (yet). I have made that mistake; I'm sure I'm not the only cueball here. :)

I agree with the rest of the guidelines. But see below.

mscha wrote:I feel strongly that we should not try to impose rules on Blitzers. If you don't like their posts, just skip them.
It's always a good idea to be “fresh, succinct and relevant”, not only in a Blitz or Ketchup, but also in regular posts. And overall, posts in this thread are – this is possibly the most civilized place on the internet that I have ever frequented.
I agree fully here. Wall-of-text issues are not due to blitzers. They are due to the immense seaishness of this thread. However, Blitzers may appreciate a few suggestions, since they have not experienced the present yet.

fhorn wrote:Yes, but what of the monopoly? What if I wish to sell butter? It can only be done... wait for it....... THROUGH HER
Well, here is an idea for how to do that. :)

ggh wrote:I also kinda wondered if there could be a place specifically for collecting major blitzes (forgive me if this already exists), like a "gospels" section on the wiki.
Try the Holy Books section of the Wiki.

jjjdavidson wrote:11. BlitzGirl's referenced here directly or by footnote at least three times; it's embarrassingly obvious I've developed a crush on her.
Who hasn't? :)

Latent22 wrote:And how many xips do we have in our week? 7? do we have wip'ends to rest and recover?
Are these decimal wips or common wips (or natural wips)? We have the opportunity to remake the calendar, let's not screw it up or we'll be stuck with the results for all time and for all of Time.

StratPlayer wrote:-- They conclude the river they've found is not big enough to supply all the water needed to raise the sea. But it doesn't look broken, either.
-- They then decide to hike upriver to find a ford, but as they're hiking they see that this river widens, and that "maybe it is big enough to fill the sea."
-- They pause to rest (and perhaps Cueball even dozes), then discuss that this river isn't "much farther from home than 'ours' at its driest," and that "when 'our' river gets too big it fills with stuff". But this river doesn't "look like that."

So. What can we learn from this?
That they don't get out much?

And since we are talking about rivers, I want to bring up the most awesome river song there is: "Shenandoah". In my opinion, there is no song like it. In any (performance) set, in a slot where "Shenandoah" fits well, no other song can replace it. (The link above is to the Sons of Orpheus, on youtube.)

(edited to include TOC for the spoiler and a link to the song)
Jose
Last edited by ucim on Tue May 07, 2013 4:08 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Tue May 07, 2013 2:11 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:For fhorn

oh blessed Arch-Cardinal buffygirl, I have waited for the honor American English of this moment (a miniwait, nothing that should displease your Buffyness or Lord Randall) and give thanks for this your creation! Thy haberdashery is a wonder indeed - Randallspeed, Hat Perfectionist! Thank you, thank you, thank you!
*does a full rotation, minute AND second hands, to look at new hat*
Hey guys, did you see my new hat??!? 8-)
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue May 07, 2013 2:11 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:
htom wrote:I thought "OutDay", "OutWeek", ... containing whatever number of newpix that occur in the period they would consider appropriate. Really it's a measurement from the outside of the OTC looking in, and it would be based on their units of day, week, month .... and the counting of newpix is not how they measure things. In one OutDay there are 47, in that one 48, that string seems to each have 24 ... their measures are very arbitrary. Four different lengths for an OutMonth, and one of those has a variable number of OutDays!

Yeah I thought of doing it using outside time only but 24 newpix is quite good in some ways as it means each wiki page is dealing with the same amount of OTC TIME and the OTT had twice the traffic during the first 240 newpix so by doing it this way it evens out the amount of forum posts per wiki summery page.

One idea is just to make the title of each page something like "OTT Summery np1-24", "OTT Summery np25-48" etc or something similar. But if there was a simple term like xip or newDay that was easy for us and new people to the OTT would understand easily it would be cool.

A while ago (my first post, in fact!) I suggested quatrigintioctonewpix (back when they were 30 outMinutes long...the good ol' days). In that vein, how about duodecaquatrinewpix? DDQpix for short.

astrocub

Postby astrocub » Tue May 07, 2013 2:12 am UTC

Kieryn wrote:
Spoiler:
Latent22 wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

Frames 1096- 1120:

I think they only really shrink in the last 3 frames, so until that point I think the picture is fairly accurate.

Great visualization! Would it be difficult to make it again with the last three or so scenes are scaled up?

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Tue May 07, 2013 2:19 am UTC

astrocub wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
Spoiler:
Latent22 wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

Frames 1096- 1120:

Great visualization! Would it be difficult to make it again with the last three or so scenes are scaled up?

I'll see if I can get to work on that. Resolution may not be too good though.
EDIT: VMPC. I swear I'm not doing this intentionally. It just happens when I post this often.

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Tue May 07, 2013 2:19 am UTC

ucim wrote:
fhorn wrote:Yes, but what of the monopoly? What if I wish to sell butter? It can only be done... wait for it....... THROUGH HER
Well, here is an idea for how to do that. :)

:? It's not really clear to me how throwing a ripe tomato—as hard as I can—at a cake is going to get me that buttermongering license.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Tue May 07, 2013 2:22 am UTC

OK, back from the outside and excuse the blindpost, but Ineed to get current with the latest Time events. However, the very first thing I wanted to do was listen to this, since I couldn't download it from work:

yappobiscuits wrote:
Exodies wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:<snip>
Edit: oh. The instrumental I have is longer than the original. Anyone wanna write a fourth verse? :D Or it could just keep going "boom de yada" for a slightly awkwardly long amount of time...

I could do you a custom instrumental track if you want :) (I'm a musician/composer/producer type dude, not that anyone would know that yet as I haven't really properly introduced myself on these fora... but hey, you know now!)

Sure, whip it out as Frank would say. I think everyone would be delighted to hear it.

Alrighty then! Here's what I've cooked up... Instrumental version, and a version with my not-so-great singing for demonstrative purposes. I whapped out my ukulele for this one! Fun.

That is really very, very good yappo!!! I love the instrumentation and your signing is actually wonderful for the song -- understated, very on tempo, perfect inflections. I play guitar fairly decent I think, but I can't sing my way out of a wet paper bag -- compared to me, Bob Dylan, Joe Walsh, and Neil Young sound like the Three Tenors. But you have a great voice! I'd say this was a fabulous job!

Now to ketchup....
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”