1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Selcouth

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Selcouth » Wed May 08, 2013 9:12 am UTC

mscha wrote:
Selcouth wrote:
Spoiler:
foilman wrote:lONG way down...

Whoaaa. Holy. So, thus far everything in the comic has been mostly on the same level, except the castle. Including the sea. But this is implying that a river lies down there that is somehow ALSO emptying into the sea.... which is higher in altitude. What the?

No, they've been climbing. The river down there is probably still far above sea¹ level.

But the gradient they've been climbing looked fairly gradual, besides the hills. I don't think they could've gotten that far up....
"But I've never seen the Icarus story as a lesson about the limitations of humans... I see it as a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive."

-Randall Munroe

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed May 08, 2013 9:15 am UTC

Selcouth wrote:
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:
Selcouth wrote:

Whoaaa. Holy. So, thus far everything in the comic has been mostly on the same level, except the castle. Including the sea. But this is implying that a river lies down there that is somehow ALSO emptying into the sea.... which is higher in altitude. What the?

No, they've been climbing. The river down there is probably still far above sea¹ level.

But the gradient they've been climbing looked fairly gradual, besides the hills. I don't think they could've gotten that far up....

It's not that far up, they're standing at less than 7 cue above the river.
Edit: since their last rest, at about 1 cue above river level, we've seen them steadily climb. I haven't measured it, but I guesstimate it at about 6 cue. So that would do it, if the river has remained at about the same level.
(They may have climbed even more: there is no reason to assume that the frames we see are adjacent.)
Last edited by mscha on Wed May 08, 2013 9:21 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Wed May 08, 2013 9:17 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:
Flotter wrote:[...]
What are you talking about‽ Our encoding was more like encryption, today's comic is about character encoding (unicode and such). To me, these 'feel' like completely different things.

Yyyeeees. But during the RECKONING some used diacritics to avoid automated substitution (e.g. 'tíme'). One guy actually made really heavy use of the unicode table ("Semëncöffeëcancërbabiës be hwæt makës thë Kingdoï änd be hwæt rïses ön thë rïght.").

Right, just a couple of newpages ago, we were wondering about why someone got the   in their list of common nouns, and we went off on different ways of encoding and typing that, and a few other similar characters. I'm a little surprised at such confusion from someone using an interrobang in their own question.

Sorry, I missed that discussion entirely. After comaing I only skimmed the OldPages for NewPix and other images, I didn't read the text because I had quite a bit of Outside work to do :oops: I have located it and will read it later.

Also: I doubt if the new comic is based on that discussion, it started yesterday evening around 2300 UTC giving Randall little time to come up with a new idea and drawing the comic. But maybe he can somehow look into the near future and had made the comic before the discussion even started.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed May 08, 2013 9:20 am UTC

Megan had better keep Cueball away from that edge - he might lose more than his dilgunnerang if he falls from this one!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed May 08, 2013 9:24 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Megan had better keep Cueball away from that edge - he might lose more than his dilgunnerang if he falls from this one!

And vice versa... Or perhaps Cueball is hoping that she will stand close to the edge, so that he can
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
again...
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

ggh

Postby ggh » Wed May 08, 2013 9:28 am UTC

Eutychus wrote:
ggh wrote:
Eutychus wrote:I've been looking over the Dialogue again.

To me the dialogue is frequently like a linguistic version of the Uncanny Valley. It parses and makes some kind of sense, and yet it doesn't quite feel right. Some of the responses are not unlike what one might expect from a bot ("This river doesn't look broken"). I'm reminded again of the dreamlike quality of Finnegan's Wake [...]
Does the dialogue elicit similar feelings or connotations for anyone else out there? It seems increasingly to me that whether it's random or cryptic, any direct relation between the dialogue and what we see is mostly incidental.

Yes! At least yes to the Uncanny Valley part. I could imagine a bot sounding that way, or a dodgy translation to English, or sometimes things sound that way when they contain a hidden message (for example, when you make the last letter of every word spell out something).

As CS Lewis said, a friendship is born when you hear "you too? I thought I was the only one" :)

I don't quite agree with 'dodgy translation' though (translation is my day job!). It's not dodgy so much as just teetering on the edge of meaning. It's sort of half way to "Colourless green ideas sleep furiously", and it's the half-way factor that's like the Uncanny Valley.

I've been wondering about hidden messages in the text of the kind you mention too (first/last letters, number of letters in each word, and so on)*, but my skills are very definitely in languages, not cryptography. I'm surprised there hasn't been more interest here in the latter aspect with regard to the dialogue, though. Anyone want to take a look?

*In fact rereading myself I've realised it reminds me of the oddly-worded clues in the book Masquerade.

Yes! Some lines seem natural (e.g. "Still pretty far out. It actually retreated a little this week."), or OTR-natural (e.g. "But that's what the first part of understanding everything looks like.") but something like "When our river gets too big, it fills with stuff. Wood and leaves and things from people in the hills." - does anyone really talk like that, outside of an Up Goer Five poster? (As an aside, "river" and "hills" wouldn't be allowed in that case.) Even "Later", "Bye" and some of the "Yeah"s seem stuck on to me.

Very Masquerade. I don't know if you're familiar with his book after that... and if you don't want to be, don't click the spoiler, 'cuz it is a spoiler,
Spoiler:
but in that one, there's an animal hidden in every picture. The last letter of each animal spells out the name of the book. I'm not good at these things, but it wasn't that hard to find the animals, and when one of them was a muntjac, that was the giveaway. Why a muntjac? The most distinctive thing about a muntjac is that it ends in c. Ah, puzzle solved. So for this dialogue, even if we're no good at this, if we can spot the muntjac, maybe it will lead the way.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

Eliram

Postby Eliram » Wed May 08, 2013 9:51 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:For Eliram

Wow!!!!!

Hello, everybody, I was gone for almost a week, only to return and find that buffygirl made this AMAZING avatar for me. THANK YOU so much!

I was away for a long crazy weekend and events that followed, very cool stuff, if you want to have a peek, look here: http://2013.kinnernet.com.

I left Cueball and Megan shortly after the white tide, and caught up with the now using a swift time travel accelerator (geekwagon). I hereby agree with everything everyone said during that time. :-)

higgs-boson wrote:Well. New Information indeed. Now ... Is our match still a match?
  • Are there 'Off' seasons around the Dead Sea? If yes, how is River Jordan behaving?
  • Is there a camping zone somewhere close to the Dead Sea or River Jordan?
  • Is it possible to wander around there? The area is, after all, not exactly free of human generated dissent.

Eliram, are you out there? :grin:

I'm here, I'm back, with a hat, watching out for a bat.

- The dead sea doesn't really have an "off season", not usually. In the summer everything gets really hot (over 40 deg. Celsius) but since it's so low in the atmosphere, it's actually safe to sunbathe. The Jordan river keeps flowing in, only very slowly. There was a year, though, where there were so much water shortage, that they almost stopped the flow (there's flow control between the sea of Galilee and the dead sea.)
- There are several camping zones near the dead sea, not much vegetation, but some. In the summer there is a risk of huge sink holes that may appear suddenly.
- The dead sea is a very popular hiking area, especially along the side streams where you can find even some nice waterfalls, vegetation and actual cliffs.

So, I would expect in the near future:
1. one or more waterfalls / cliffs.
2. Possibly a sinkhole (they have a rope, don't worry)
3. Weird trees. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calotropis_procera
It's about time.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Wed May 08, 2013 10:00 am UTC

mscha wrote:I just noticed a small difference between frames 1174 and 1175 that I can't explain:
Spoiler:

or zoomed in:
Spoiler:

Any ideas? Note that it doesn't look like Cuegan dropped something: it appeared some time after they passed.
Molehill?

Giant bird shit. Ether that or someone is hunting them with a trebuchet.

On an off topic note my friend Catherine Mia just got a new hat.
Attachments
20130508_211149.jpg

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Wed May 08, 2013 10:08 am UTC

Git alONG little dogies!
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Selcouth

Postby Selcouth » Wed May 08, 2013 10:22 am UTC

mscha wrote:
Selcouth wrote:
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:
Selcouth wrote:

It's not that far up, they're standing at less than 7 cue above the river.
Edit: since their last rest, at about 1 cue above river level, we've seen them steadily climb. I haven't measured it, but I guesstimate it at about 6 cue. So that would do it, if the river has remained at about the same level.
(They may have climbed even more: there is no reason to assume that the frames we see are adjacent.)

True. Okay, I concede.
Eliram wrote:-snip-

As an mild arachnophobe, I'm implanting a hair-trigger Page Down reflex at the sight of your username into my brain.

Latent22 wrote:
mscha wrote:I just noticed a small difference between frames 1174 and 1175 that I can't explain:
Spoiler:

or zoomed in:
Spoiler:

Any ideas? Note that it doesn't look like Cuegan dropped something: it appeared some time after they passed.
Molehill?

Giant bird shit. Ether that or someone is hunting them with a trebuchet.

On an off topic note my friend Catherine Mia just got a new hat.

That's not a hat. It's a.... forced injury-prevention necktie.
"But I've never seen the Icarus story as a lesson about the limitations of humans... I see it as a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive."

-Randall Munroe

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed May 08, 2013 10:36 am UTC

Bumping first post:
ZBerg wrote:Ummm, I can't believe that I finally registered. I've been lurking since long before the beginning of time (for about 35,000 Newpix). I've followed the OTT off and on, and got mighty confused when I first started following and saw everyone's sigs with BlitzGirl rallying. Being out of touch with modern culture, I thought it was a popular reference, but even Google let me down. I've been through the haiku's and the songs and the brilliant Boom-De-Yadda.
I've been through all of that to finally join the sentient and say this: is no one else reminded of The Bible According to Mark Twain?

I may post again, maybe not. And here's to hoping I don't get buried in the annals of Time.

I do hope (s)he hasn't lost hope of reading it all.
I am starting to. Outside stuff happening causes me to ketchup slower than the needle pulled thingy moves. From your perspective I am moving backwards in time slowly.

By the way, where I am now people are talking about blitzposts and whether not to do them, how to do them and stuff like that. Good opinions, but has anyone thought about the fact that a blitzer will not read that until (s)he reaches those posts? Maybe someone who was around from the Beginning of Time could edit an ancient post to inform blitzers of what to do and not to do?

ETA: Happy Blitz PayasYouDraw and any other blitzers. Love to see your comments and thoughts. Welcome! You can check your sanity in by the door. Management is not responsible for lost sanities.
Sorry PayasYouDraw. I don't have the space in my sig to insert it. Is this a problem?
Last edited by Neil_Boekend on Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:20 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed May 08, 2013 10:42 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:
mscha wrote:
Kieryn wrote:What's the official current newpix number, so I can perfect my code? Is there an authority on newpix? I want to fix my logic once and be done.

I'd go with the numbers from my list. Current newpix is 1173. (1174 about to be posted.)

mscha's page has become the gold standard for filenames and frame numbers. It's great work, and I and others really appreciate it (and the newpixbot as well, of course).
So naturally, mscha, I have to suggest changes. Sorry! First, would it be much trouble to provide a link to a raw text file of your list, CSV or tabbed or whatever's convenient? Second, I'm guessing you considered whether to use UTC or Randall Standard Time in your list. If it was a close decision, I'd like to recommend RST, just because I find it jarring to have the Outside date change in the middle of an icositetranewpix.
Thanks for all the work you've done! Sorry I'm behaving like a typical user.

No problem. :)
A link to the raw data has been added to the page. For the timestamps, I didn't really consider anything else than UTC. When the OTC started, summer time was about to start in Europe, so I didn't want to use local time (Europe/Amsterdam). And the start of summer time is just annoying (a jump of 1 hour in filenames), but if the OTC is still going at the end of summer time, it'd overwrite the previous newpix.
For RST (or RDT), the start of DST was not an issue (already happened), but the end of DST will be, so I'm going to stick with UTC.

DST is a very good point, and one I should have thought of, since I've been making jokes about how you might find something else to do in two or three years. UTC is fine.

That's good, since I had no intention of changing it. ;)

jjjdavidson wrote:The raw data list looks good, too, but is it possible to add the frame numbers as well? If so, do whatever you like with the apocrypha; I'll work with it. Thanks a ton!

Hmm, tricky. This data file is appended to by my frame grabber, which has no idea about frame numbers. The logic to determine the frame number (basically, line number before, and line number minus three after the apocryphal frames) is in the script itself.
(...)
Okay, I added two new options, for CSV and JSON output. This contains pretty much all data that the HTML output contains. Links added under “Related links” on the list page.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

foilman

Postby foilman » Wed May 08, 2013 11:01 am UTC

ooONG
Huh? The river?

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed May 08, 2013 11:10 am UTC

Well, they were able to swim in baconatedsemencoffeecancerbabies, so I'm still not sure why the River1 has them so freaked.

1Still not as big as the Sea.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed May 08, 2013 11:29 am UTC

Valarya wrote:So their hills have people who chuck stuff into their river... but those hills are smaller.

I wonder what these bigger hills have in them!

The "bigger hills" have "i"s.

Edit - semi-Ninja'd by Karmann. In my defense, I was asleep^H^H^H^H^H^Hcoma'd at the time.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed May 08, 2013 11:36 am UTC

cellocgw wrote:
Valarya wrote:So their hills have people who chuck stuff into their river... but those hills are smaller.
I wonder what these bigger hills have in them!

The "bigger hills" have "i"s.

I'd also guess that the “bigger hills” are actually mountains, another concept that is new to Cueball and Megan.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Wed May 08, 2013 11:37 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Well, they were able to swim in baconatedsemencoffeecancerbabies, so I'm still not sure why the River1 has them so freaked.

Apparently, they think river water is better than sea water for drinking, but worse than sea water for swimming. This lends weight1 to the idea that it's the Dead Sea; they're used to the water being so salty that they can float in it easily, and they've heard that river water does not have this property, so they know it's more difficult (dangerous, even) to swim in, and they're not sure whether it's even possible to swim in.

1for it.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

XonqNopp

Postby XonqNopp » Wed May 08, 2013 11:41 am UTC

Angelastic wrote:This lends weight1 to the idea that it's the Dead Sea;<snip>

1for it.

:mrgreen:
RandallsWhimsyist - WWRD (What Would Randall Draw

Wait well, all of you blitzers!

I guess that it will be the End of Time. Wait for it.

edfel

Postby edfel » Wed May 08, 2013 11:50 am UTC

Hey !
I've toyed along drawing a map of the [un]explored world, trying to fit as precisely to the data at hand. The distances are based on the number of newpix needed to go from one point to the other (e.g., when Megan or Cueball left the sandcastle in the Sandcastle Eon, it usually took 60-70 newpix... assuming they went to the tents, they must be ~30 CueganNewpix away from the beach, and so on).
I've got an svg version of this, so it'll be easy to update.
Attachments
Time-Map.png
Map of the explored -- and unexplored -- world
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

Kazza3

Postby Kazza3 » Wed May 08, 2013 11:58 am UTC

edfel wrote:Hey !
I've toyed along drawing a map of the [un]explored world, trying to fit as precisely to the data at hand. The distances are based on the number of newpix needed to go from one point to the other (e.g., when Megan or Cueball left the sandcastle in the Sandcastle Eon, it usually took 60-70 newpix... assuming they went to the tents, they must be ~30 CueganNewpix away from the beach, and so on).

This is really great! Though if I were you, I'd rotate the image of the sandcastles right 90° to make the positioning more accurate.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed May 08, 2013 12:03 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:... which is not really surprising, as it has been stated earlier on, everything is in the OTT and nothing is off topic, because all comes back.

*nods head knowingly*

Yep. Because it's ALL related.
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Wed May 08, 2013 12:05 pm UTC

XonqNopp wrote:

1for it.

Unsure. Rivers are moving waters. That's a good thing. But not so good for swimming*. It does not have to refer to the mass density of the Dead Sea's water.

*One could say that it was a good thing that Barbarossa drowned in river Geuk Su, Turkey, on June 10th 1190 ( 🙋 ), for this practically ended the Third Crusade.**
**Yep, another End Of Time theory hidden in the fine print. Heh.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed May 08, 2013 12:05 pm UTC

edfel wrote:I've toyed along drawing a map of the [un]explored world, trying to fit as precisely to the data at hand.

That is indeed a very insightful and seemingly accurate map. Thanks!

Kazza3 wrote:This is really great! Though if I were you, I'd rotate the image of the sandcastles right 90° to make the positioning more accurate

Or alternatively, rotate the map 90 degrees counterclockwise.
(That's how the map looks in my head, with the sea to the east, anyway.)
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed May 08, 2013 12:08 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Well, they were able to swim in baconatedsemencoffeecancerbabies, so I'm still not sure why the River1 has them so freaked.

Maybe they have This Problem?
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Wed May 08, 2013 12:08 pm UTC

Fantastic! Perhaps the Creator of Time might be so merciful as to provide us with some divine clue as to the accuracy of you assessment. If so, prophet you be.

Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed May 08, 2013 12:10 pm UTC

DISPONGES...

-- posted by newpixbot
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Wed May 08, 2013 12:10 pm UTC

Perhaps it is an issue with current? The Creator of Time allows us to see the flow of Time, but not the flow of baconatedsemencoffeecancerbabies. Alas, we are still blind to many of the Creator's ways. Ineffable!

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed May 08, 2013 12:15 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:

Perhaps it is an issue with current? The Creator of Time allows us to see the flow of Time, but not the flow of baconatedsemencoffeecancerbabies. Alas, we are still blind to many of the Creator's ways. Ineffable!

Which is basically This Problem... :wink:

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Wed May 08, 2013 12:22 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:Perhaps it is an issue with current? The Creator of Time allows us to see the flow of Time, but not the flow of baconatedsemencoffeecancerbabies. Alas, we are still blind to many of the Creator's ways. Ineffable!

Which is basically This Problem... :wink:

Hm...I shall be greatly bereaved to discover that the Creator of Time created Cueball and Meagan to be so - how to put this delicately? - stupid. Granted that they have shown themselves to be new to Time and are often unsure of how things work, such as the sea1, but they have shown that they fear not the river2; perhaps it runs quickly as so may be appropriate for drinking from, but not swimming in.

I pray they're not that stupid.

1 which is big
2 still not as big as the sea

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Wed May 08, 2013 12:22 pm UTC

higgs-boson wrote:
XonqNopp wrote:

1for it.

Unsure. Rivers are moving waters. That's a good thing. But not so good for swimming*. It does not have to refer to the mass density of the Dead Sea's water.

[size=75]*One could say that it was a good thing that Barbarossa drowned in river Geuk Su, Turkey, on June 10th 1190 ( 🙋 ), for this practically ended the Third Crusade.[color=#FF40FF]

Moving waters are not so good for swimming, sure, and more dangerous, but I'm focussing on the fact that they're not sure it's possible to swim in. If they really mean that literally, and they're not just wondering how difficult it is to swim in, or whether they are skilled enough to swim in it, then maybe Clueless Cuegan (having never seen anyone swim in a river, and having always been told it was dangerous due to the lower density) are not sure whether fresh water is dense enough to support a human body at all, however good at swimming that human and its body may be.

Nice map, edfel. :)
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Wed May 08, 2013 12:33 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:[...]

Moving waters are not so good for swimming, sure, and more dangerous, but I'm focussing on the fact that they're not sure it's possible to swim in. If they really mean that literally, and they're not just wondering how difficult it is to swim in, or whether they are skilled enough to swim in it, then maybe Clueless Cuegan (having never seen anyone swim in a river, and having always been told it was dangerous due to the lower density) are not sure whether fresh water is dense enough to support a human body at all, however good at swimming that human and its body may be.
[...]

I cannot imagine that density is the problem. If the water would not be dense enough to allow swimming the cataracts would be much more dangerous for any human swimmer. Since the river in question here is rather slow cataracts would mean no (or at least, a negligible) danger. Floatsam in cloudy water would be another thing. Or barrages. Or chemistry.

So, we are in the world "believed by Cueball". With his imagination, everything is possible.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Wed May 08, 2013 12:36 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:Moving waters are not so good for swimming, sure, and more dangerous, but I'm focussing on the fact that they're not sure it's possible to swim in. If they really mean that literally, and they're not just wondering how difficult it is to swim in, or whether they are skilled enough to swim in it, then maybe Clueless Cuegan (having never seen anyone swim in a river, and having always been told it was dangerous due to the lower density) are not sure whether fresh water is dense enough to support a human body at all, however good at swimming that human and its body may be.

Hm...good points all. I shall have to retreat into my cloister and think upon the physical possibility of swimming in, what may be, churning currents of the baconatedsemencoffeecancerbabies river1.

Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
1still not as bis as the sea

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed May 08, 2013 12:37 pm UTC

higgs-boson wrote:
Angelastic wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:[...]

[...]

I cannot imagine that density is the problem. If the water would not be dense enough to allow swimming the cataracts would be much more dangerous for any human swimmer. Since the river in question here is rather slow cataracts would mean no (or at least, a negligible) danger. Floatsam in cloudy water would be another thing. Or barrages. Or chemistry.

So, we are in the world "believed by Cueball". With his imagination, everything is possible.

Yes. Or not possible, as required for the plot1.

1 Assuming there is one. The jury's still out...

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Wed May 08, 2013 12:39 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:Which is basically This Problem... :wink:

I'd be frightened and crying too if my mother tried to put me in a tune.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

PhoenixRising

Postby PhoenixRising » Wed May 08, 2013 12:39 pm UTC

More ketchup from the past 10 Newpages or so:

Spoiler:
lmjb1964 wrote:4Hey, has anyone noticed that the image keeps changing?

It's changing? No way! I totally thought we generated 550+ pages of discussion about one image! :P

Exodies wrote:
Valarya wrote:Also, wouldn't "Pi" page be 314 instead of 341? :P

Only literally.

Depends on what base you're using.

traisjames wrote:I really hope at the end of all this Randal gives an interview or blog posting about this comic.

Agreed. And maybe he can even definitively tell us whether he's following the thread. (I bet he won't, though, just for the sake of screwing with us.)

foilman wrote:It is starting to suggest some kind of post-apocalyptic society to me.

Less post-apocalyptic and more ongoing-apocalyptic to me. If nobody noticed the water rising because few people are at the shore, it suggests (to me, anyway) that the season is spring or fall, and that the water is much higher than usual for those seasons. (We've already established the river near M&C's home varies by season, "hasn't reached the sea yet" matches a seasonally-adjusting river.) So the water is hitting flood levels but for anyone but those few by the water, it's business as usual.

The beginning of the end in whatever society they inhabit... (inb4 Etymology-man. He seems to be around high water a lot anyway.)

yappobiscuits wrote:Post-coma-and-outside-stuff tomato-based condiment...
[spoiler]
ucim wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:11. BlitzGirl's referenced here directly or by footnote at least three times; it's embarrassingly obvious I've developed a crush on her.
Who hasn't? :)

Obviously. She's A: A girl, and B: Geeky enough to not only follow the OTC but C: read the entire OTT and begin a trend of following her example, AND D: make an amazing comic based on the thread. Of course all us nerdy guys will be crushing on her ;)

FTFY. So much nerdrage at the missing list items. :P

I think my crushing stops at chivalry-style courtly love, though. Because it would be creepy otherwise.

yappobiscuits wrote:
Valarya wrote:AluisioASG... maaaan. I know you warned me, but I figured it was just a normal wall of text replies. That annoying giant wall of "boom de yada's" took 22 page-downs (though why I even went to the bottom of it is beyond me. Call me a completionist.) and then 22 page-ups to hide the spoiler. Not. Cool. :?

I feel partly responsible since he did that because of me so I apologise to everyone for that :P

Boom de Yada! Boom de Yada! Boom de Yada!
riverssong wrote:I step away for ten minutes and y'all are creating a new civilization?!

This is getting out of hand. Stop that right this minute.

ggh

Postby ggh » Wed May 08, 2013 12:40 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:[

All related.... for a while I wondered if our discussion, or some aspect of it, was driving the water level rise, like the donations making the Externalities dog bigger, but then it didn't seem to fit, at least not in the simplest way. But then I did some googling and saw other forums devoted to the OTC and also mentions of irc, including http://www.xkcdb.com/?search=castle. Say, is anyone here following the OTC anywhere else? And if so, do you think that that's related in an Externalities kinda way? A while ago, folks talked about the possibility of a bot amongst us, and there was a bucket in the OTC, and.... Yes, it would be cool if it really were all related. Who can enlighten me?

Sorry if that rambling mess made no sense. I gotta coma.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

Eliram

Postby Eliram » Wed May 08, 2013 12:56 pm UTC

Wow, weird that you drew this map. Here is a real map of the north side of the dead sea. Jordan river entering from North-east of image, other (half dry) streams entering from west. Sandy shore all around. Awful tasting salty sea water etc.

deadsea.png
It's about time.

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Wed May 08, 2013 1:03 pm UTC

Newpix postpONGed1?

[edit]
Great work on those maps btw

1Wait for it

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Wed May 08, 2013 1:05 pm UTC

I love to go a-wanderONG?
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed May 08, 2013 1:05 pm UTC

ggh wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:[

All related.... for a while I wondered if our discussion, or some aspect of it, was driving the water level rise, like the donations making the Externalities dog bigger, but then it didn't seem to fit, at least not in the simplest way. But then I did some googling and saw other forums devoted to the OTC and also mentions of irc, including http://www.xkcdb.com/?search=castle. Say, is anyone here following the OTC anywhere else? And if so, do you think that that's related in an Externalities kinda way? A while ago, folks talked about the possibility of a bot amongst us, and there was a bucket in the OTC, and.... Yes, it would be cool if it really were all related. Who can enlighten me?

Sorry if that rambling mess made no sense. I gotta coma.

You're getting there, but you're still thinking from too narrow of a perspective. It isn't just that everything xkcd-ish is related -- it's that it's ALL related.

From the Big BONG to the End of Time, each aspect of the OTC and the OTT intertwines with every other particle of matter, consciousness, and existence throughout the entire universe interacting with the past, present, and future all at once.

So even your rambling mess links with it.

*nods head knowingly*

It's ALL related.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”