1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Rule110

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Rule110 » Sun May 12, 2013 11:52 am UTC

Hmm, the bird is apparently unusual enough to Cueball and Megan to have held their attention for a while.

Which doesn't necessarily means birds in general are rare. Maybe this is a rare black one, while white ones constantly fill the sky.

EDIT: I think this makes me the Mad Hatter's archbishop, or something to do with ecclesiastical hierarchies and hats.
Last edited by Rule110 on Sun May 12, 2013 12:14 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

123Adz321

Postby 123Adz321 » Sun May 12, 2013 12:00 pm UTC

Wouldn't it be great if they decided to walk back in the other directiONG to follow the bird?
Last edited by 123Adz321 on Sun May 12, 2013 12:02 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Dear Time travellers, I bring a gift from the future: A userscript for Chrome (Tampermonkey) or Firefox (Greasemonkey)
This will convert outside time to the One True Time of Newpix
- Courtesy of Pikrass
Spoiler:

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sun May 12, 2013 12:01 pm UTC

Good morning. Happy Mother's Day. (Please select the greeting of your choice.)
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

edfel

Postby edfel » Sun May 12, 2013 12:35 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:And another one, this time weighted by posting count of the user <snip>

Nice :) Do you count "mscha" or "newpixbot" when the latter is using mscha's account to post?

go es go !
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun May 12, 2013 12:54 pm UTC

htom wrote:
vvn wrote:mscha answers my questions:
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:
vvn wrote:Since we are talking algorithms...
The general quality and reliability of the newpixbot has made me assume you have handled pretty much all eventualities. However, I am curious what is does in certain situations.
- ONG is not on time. (Specifically, more than 10 mins late.)

It will probably be caught. I check at :00, :05, :15, :25, :35, :45 and :55. (But only if no newpix has been downloaded yet this hour¹.)
vvn wrote: - ONG is over an hour late.

It will catch that newpix, but perhaps not the next one, see ...
vvn wrote: - There are multiple ONG's in an hour1, so the OTC can Ketchup.

Won't be caught, since the bot will be happy as soon as a newpix has been downloaded in that hour.
vvn wrote: - Or, multiple ONG's, just because.

Won't be caught.
vvn wrote: - Is there any trigger that makes the bot wake you to witness the weirdness?

Nope. But so far, I've always been around in times of trouble (no need for Mother Megan to come to me and whisper words of wisdom)².
If something very unexpected does happen while I'm acoma, hopefully someone is around to at least keep track of image URLs, so I can complete the collection by hand the next day.
vvn wrote:Edit: Based on your previous answer I am assuming that if the OTT is down, you just wait for it.

Well, I first download the image, so I've got that, no matter what's up with the forum. After a successful download, I wait until :10 if necessary, then try to post. In case of forum problems, that might time out or hang for a long time, but that doesn't matter for my collection.
vvn wrote:1Outside units used for relativistic clarity. (Bob's timeframe. (Not TimeFrame. (Well, maybe TimeFrame.))) NVM

¹: see 1.
²: somebody needs to write this song, but not me (right now): coma time.

Thank you for satisfying my curiosity. Sounds like you handle all likely situations. And, since some of the less likely scenarios would require us to crash some servers just to test the bot....I guess we can let it go. :)
And again, nice work.

The part of me that doesn't trust backups until they've been used to do restores wants newpixbot to look for a newpix every fifteen or twenty minutes after finding a newpix ... but that's approaching paranoia. Excellent work, mscha.

Actually, after posting the above, I wasn't happy myself with some of the answers above, so I changed things a bit.
My script now actually checks for a new image URL/hash every 10 minutes. It it's a hash it has never seen yet, it will download, and if necessary post¹ the image.
It's a bit heavier on the poor old c.xkcd.com servers – if all is well, I now hit them six times instead of once per hour – but it shouldn't be a problem, all I'm doing is checking what image on imgs.xkcd.com it redirects to, that should be lightweight.² (In any case, the script is no worse, in fact a bit better, than a real person who hits F5 every 10 minutes.)
All cases which I said “won't be caught”, should now be caught in pretty much all cases. (Certainly all known cases in past Time, like the one time, about half a kilonewpix ago I believe, where we got no newpix for two ongs, then the two missing newpix arrived at, I believe, about :30 and :45 past ong.)

¹: still not until :10, of course. But if, say, the :35 check finds a new newpix, it'll immediately post it to the OTT.
²: it isn't really lightweight, though; a request for c.xkcd.com/redirect/comic/time typically takes more than a second. No idea why, that should be really easy to optimise to a few milliseconds at most.

vvn wrote:P.S. I'd probably want to hit the server every so often to check for changed images. <paranoia> Then diff and image compare to identify header/compression/image changes. </paranoia> This is of course with infinite Time/resources to fiddle with scripts, lex, yacc, etc., and nothing to do but amuse myself.

Already happening.
Not on a scheduled basis, but I run it every few days (or when there's a reason to think something's changed). The “difference” column in my list is based on the results.
The last few times I ran it, nothing was changed. If and when something does change, the OTT will hear about it, of course.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun May 12, 2013 1:00 pm UTC

And we're walking again...
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Sun May 12, 2013 1:03 pm UTC

mscha wrote:[Elaborate explaination of Newpixbot workings snipped]

I guess between you, aubronwood, geekwaggon, the users of the OTT, and me we should be pretty well covered against frameloss.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Sun May 12, 2013 1:05 pm UTC

mscha wrote:My script now actually checks for a new image URL/hash every 10 minutes. It it's a hash it has never seen yet, it will download, and if necessary post the image.
It's a bit heavier on the poor old c.xkcd.com servers – if all is well, I now hit them six times instead of once per hour – but it shouldn't be a problem, all I'm doing is checking what image on imgs.xkcd.com it redirects to, that should be lightweight.

That covers my biggest fear: that at some point (presumably near the End of Time), the ONG frequency might suddenly shift back to every half-outside-hour.

ETA: That is one funky "ONG," by the way.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

Montov

Postby Montov » Sun May 12, 2013 1:11 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
mscha wrote:My script now actually checks for a new image URL/hash every 10 minutes. It it's a hash it has never seen yet, it will download, and if necessary post the image.
It's a bit heavier on the poor old c.xkcd.com servers – if all is well, I now hit them six times instead of once per hour – but it shouldn't be a problem, all I'm doing is checking what image on imgs.xkcd.com it redirects to, that should be lightweight.

That covers my biggest fear: that at some point (presumably near the End of Time), the ONG frequency might suddenly shift back to every half-outside-hour.

ETA: That is one funky "ONG," by the way.

I fear the frequency will shift to once every 2 hours.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun May 12, 2013 1:15 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:
mscha wrote:[Elaborate explaination of Newpixbot workings snipped]

I guess between you, aubronwood, geekwaggon, the users of the OTT, and me we should be pretty well covered against frameloss.

The only situation that we won't be able to cover, is a Lord Randall server issue that takes more than a TimeFrame, and is then solved without ever getting a chance to see the hash of the corresponding newpix. But there's nothing we can do about that. Image
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Sun May 12, 2013 1:16 pm UTC

azule wrote:Where are you people??! THE SKY IS FALLING. *ahem* I mean, falling, gracefully. That's not a bird, it's THE END! The end is coming, and we're sitting behind our computers and phones thinking how magical that bird is. IT'S NOT A FUCKING BIRD! IT'S...uh...CANCER! That's right, flying cancer. With wings. Fucking cancer. Don't they know it's the pigeons' jobs to spread disease. *shakes head*

I'm sad. There's no one around to share my fear with me. The OTC is ending. XKCD is ending. The WORLD IS ENDING! :cry:

*prepares equipment for end of OTC vis-a-vis a previous post*

Fudge, anyone?

Spoiler:
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Sun May 12, 2013 1:17 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:And another one, this time weighted by posting count of the user (sorry to bore you with this, but I try to brush up on my matplotlib skillz):
Spoiler:

The heavy posters make up in "a" what they lack in "e".

Hey! I resemble that remark! (Looks like I give the 'n' a pretty good boost, too, though not quite to push it over the English average.)
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

jjjdavidson

Postby jjjdavidson » Sun May 12, 2013 1:23 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:And another one, this time weighted by posting count of the user (sorry to bore you with this, but I try to brush up on my matplotlib skillz):
Spoiler:

The heavy posters make up in "a" what they lack in "e".

Hey! I resemble that remark! (Looks like I give the 'n' a pretty good boost, too, though not quite to push it over the English average.)

Yeah, it look like I'm probably (by a factor of 3+)¹ the biggest single contributor to 'j', followed by mojacardave and lmjb1964.

1. 3+) looks like some weird new smilie.

htom

Postby htom » Sun May 12, 2013 1:50 pm UTC

vvn wrote:
Spoiler:
htom wrote:The part of me that doesn't trust backups until they've been used to do restores wants newpixbot to look for a newpix every fifteen or twenty minutes after finding a newpix ... but that's approaching paranoia. Excellent work, mscha.

I totally understand this feeling. I have seen MANY times that backup tapes have nothing on them. It really sucks when you have to explain to a small business owner that all of their sales data is gone. I have had much better results backing up to a hard drive on another machine. More reliable, and more testable.
I might be tempted to hit the server every minute, and add to the database whenever there is a change. Post anything not seen yet at xx:10. But, as you say, paranoia/OCD.

P.S. I'd probably want to hit the server every so often to check for changed images. <paranoia> Then diff and image compare to identify header/compression/image changes. </paranoia> This is of course with infinite Time/resources to fiddle with scripts, lex, yacc, etc., and nothing to do but amuse myself.

P.P.S. My ramblings should not be taken as a critique of mscha's excellent work, which has been 100% reliable. Just assume I have mental problems that can not be fixed, even by professionals.

Our mental problems (at least of this sort) are caused by excessive collisions with the Outside. The professionals who haven't been bitten by the Outside ... well, those that have been so bitten understand, and those who haven't, are they really professionals? Sucks to the max, my first big data loss was research data for some PhD medical projects. It was, as I said, only three months of data, and they could type it all in again. It had taken them three years of growing those rats to those three months ... and since the information was safely stored in the computer they'd destroyed the notebooks. None of us knew that their department secretary had seen the notebooks in the trash in the student lounge and quietly saved them. She had been bitten, and had true understanding; when she came back from her summer vacation and revealed them there was a great celebration. Months of typing followed, and cursing where the notebooks were incomplete.

"It's not backed up until it's been restored from the backup!" has since been a theme of mine.

ucim wrote:
htom wrote:"Run" with "rise" should always be the two sides of a right triangle, the hypotenuse being called the length or distance (or sometimes and bizarrely ) the slope.
Correct. But should isn't is, and when the horizontal distance is much harder to measure than the track length (and the difference is small enough), I'll bet they take the shortcut.
htom wrote:We frequently (in the USA) seem to have building codes that allow for "fast" stairs, which are dangerous. Part of this is that some codes allow for the tread that is under the tread above to be considered part of the "minimum", but that part of the step is not available to someone coming down the stair.
It's like DSL. Much faster in one direction than the other.
Jose

True. I can measure the length of my driveway (76'1") and the rise (15') and deduce that the run is 75' far easier than I can measure it. City had a survey team out in our cul-de-sac and I asked if the city had location data so I could check that calculation. No, but the youngster was chased up the driveway with a target and in seconds it was confirmed by differential GPS -- using the same calculation I'd done!

"It's like DSL. Much faster in one direction than the other." :chuckle:

vvn wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:. Y'alls who used a commodore 64 are old ;)[/size]

Not only did I use one, but it was my second computer.

Yes, ChronosDragon. And it amuses us that the Arduino running my basement fan is faster than the machine made available to the student body, with dozens of terminals/users, when I was in school. The programming problems were totally different than today. Imagine the world when you are my age.

The first program I worked on in college (that wasn't an assignment) was an attempt to match dates for a college mixer. People filled out questionnaires, the computer matched people up. Out of those thousand matches, over the next three years, we had one marriage. I abused the data set, found the ten young ladies I thought fit me best, and over the next three months I made dates with each of them ... it became a running joke, how fast I'd be shot down. Didn't have a second date with any of them (granted, I only asked two of them.)

That computer (super computer it was called then, CDC 3600 with two banks of memory) had 32k 48bit words of memory. 192k bytes. More than any non-classified computer in the USA (I know now that Livermore had several of those machines, each with six banks of memory, 15k words per bank.) I have a flash drive on my keychain with 32 gigabytes of storage -- that has a higher I/0 rate than those core devices.

The world that comes ... "Person of Interest" is in some ways the most interesting show on TV.

buffygirl wrote:To the tune of Let it Be by the Beatles
Spoiler:
When I find myself in Times of trouble, Mother
Megan comes to me
Falling down the hillside, wait for it
And in our Time of climbing she is falling right in front of me

Wait for it, wait for it, wait for it, wait for it

And when the heretics declare that they will no longer believe
For though we know so little, there is still a chance that we may see
We shall find the answer, wait for it

(instrumental )

And when the Cuegan starts to falter we still know that Time is good
Bear it till tomorrow, wait for it
We wake up to an obsession, Mother Megan comes to me

Sliding down the hillside, wait for it

I tried to record myself singing (from my iPhone) but couldn't get it on my 'puter to upload)

Oh, most well done!

It's a bird! It's a plane! It's La Petite in a hang glider!
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

ergman

Postby ergman » Sun May 12, 2013 1:55 pm UTC

jeez. I coma for a measly nine hours and miss BIRDS? the only animal life we've seen so far that isn't stickpeople? Curse you, sleep!!
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Sun May 12, 2013 2:00 pm UTC

ergman wrote:jeez. I coma for a measly nine hours and miss BIRDS? the only animal life we've seen so far that isn't stickpeople? Curse you, sleep!!

Ahh, well, you've caught us up now! (hopefully)
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun May 12, 2013 2:10 pm UTC

LONGFORD...

-- posted by newpixbot
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Sun May 12, 2013 2:16 pm UTC

Howdy, newpixbot!

I can't stop singing now... boom de yada, boom de yada...

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Sun May 12, 2013 2:17 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:Howdy, newpixbot!

I can't stop singing now... boom de yada, boom de yada...

You're boom de yada welcome.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

jjjdavidson

Postby jjjdavidson » Sun May 12, 2013 2:19 pm UTC

htom:
Two things that remind me of Bruce Schneier in one post: I can tell you're a computer professional.

htom wrote:Our mental problems (at least of this sort) are caused by excessive collisions with the Outside. The professionals who haven't been bitten by the Outside ... well, those that have been so bitten understand, and those who haven't, are they really professionals? Sucks to the max, my first big data loss was research data for some PhD medical projects.
Spoiler:
It was, as I said, only three months of data, and they could type it all in again. It had taken them three years of growing those rats to those three months ... and since the information was safely stored in the computer they'd destroyed the notebooks. None of us knew that their department secretary had seen the notebooks in the trash in the student lounge and quietly saved them. She had been bitten, and had true understanding; when she came back from her summer vacation and revealed them there was a great celebration. Months of typing followed, and cursing where the notebooks were incomplete.
"It's not backed up until it's been restored from the backup!" has since been a theme of mine.

Schneier on "The Importance of Backups": Several stories about PhD research being wiped out, stolen, or lost. As for myself, I've noticed that I'm much more fanatical about backing up other people's data than my own; I'm downright sloppy about my personal backups.

htom wrote:
Spoiler:
The first program I worked on in college (that wasn't an assignment) was an attempt to match dates for a college mixer. People filled out questionnaires, the computer matched people up. Out of those thousand matches, over the next three years, we had one marriage. I abused the data set, found the ten young ladies I thought fit me best, and over the next three months I made dates with each of them ... it became a running joke, how fast I'd be shot down. Didn't have a second date with any of them (granted, I only asked two of them.)

That computer (super computer it was called then, CDC 3600 with two banks of memory) had 32k 48bit words of memory. 192k bytes. More than any non-classified computer in the USA (I know now that Livermore had several of those machines, each with six banks of memory, 15k words per bank.) I have a flash drive on my keychain with 32 gigabytes of storage -- that has a higher I/0 rate than those core devices.
The world that comes ... "Person of Interest" is in some ways the most interesting show on TV.

Schneier on "Intelligence Analysis and the Connect-the-Dots Metaphor":
Piling more data onto the mix makes it harder, not easier. The best way to think of it is a needle-in-a-haystack problem; the last thing you want to do is increase the amount of hay you have to search through. The television show Person of Interest is fiction, not fact.

(By the way, I've never seen Person of Interest, so I can't comment on either of your comments.)
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun May 12, 2013 2:24 pm UTC

htom wrote:The first program I worked on in college (that wasn't an assignment) was an attempt to match dates for a college mixer. People filled out questionnaires, the computer matched people up. Out of those thousand matches, over the next three years, we had one marriage. I abused the data set, found the ten young ladies I thought fit me best, and over the next three months I made dates with each of them ... it became a running joke, how fast I'd be shot down. Didn't have a second date with any of them (granted, I only asked two of them.)

Sorry, can't resist posting this...

More seriously, it is amazing what those early computers, including early home computers (I had a ZX Spectrum with 48 kilobytes of memory; Manic Miner is still one of my favourite computer games) could do with such limited resources.
These days, you need a few GB of RAM to run “Hello, World!”...

But we're very off-topic now, even for the OTT.
Last edited by mscha on Sun May 12, 2013 2:41 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Sun May 12, 2013 2:27 pm UTC

You know, I have always wondered about the old song Bang - A Boomerang, since boomerangs don't go "bang". But after reading this thread, I understand that the text refers to a dilgunerang.

Or maybe an ordinary C4-boomerang.
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

DavidRa

Postby DavidRa » Sun May 12, 2013 2:31 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:As for myself, I've noticed that I'm much more fanatical about backing up other people's data than my own; I'm downright sloppy about my personal backups.
As are many IT pros. I wonder whether it is because the cost of backup hits our own hip pockets, or if it's the time factor (I spent 3 days fixing Bob's backups, now I really should do my own but I can't be bothered). Heck I tell my SO to backup _our_ data rather than take the action myself!

And this is extremely relevant to the OTT on the basis that we have already experienced irrecoverable data loss (e.g. frame #0).
Last edited by DavidRa on Sun May 12, 2013 2:36 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun May 12, 2013 2:35 pm UTC

DavidRa wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:As for myself, I've noticed that I'm much more fanatical about backing up other people's data than my own; I'm downright sloppy about my personal backups.

As are many IT pros. I wonder whether it is because the cost of backup hits our own hip pockets, or if it's the time factor (I spent 3 days fixing Bob's backups, now I really should do my own but I can't be bothered). Heck I tell my SO to backup _our_ data rather than take the action myself!

That's why I love Dropbox and similar solutions so much. I often can't be bothered to backup my own data as well, but as long as I work in a folder that is managed by Dropbox (or SugarSync, Google Drive, SkyDrive, all of which I've got installed on my PCs), it just happens.
(And yes, my XKCD time collection is in a Dropbox folder.)
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Sun May 12, 2013 2:38 pm UTC

The first living thing they've seen1 in the entire story2 so far and they don't say anything? Anything at all? Even a black bird among white ones would deserve some comment.

1 they did not see La Petite. However, they may have seen things while they were swimming in the sea or off frame.
2 Lord Randall wanted us to know the sea was undrinkable, otherwise why show Megan spitting it out.
3 My first program was on an IBM 1620. 20k digits (half bytes). It printed out values for a quadratic formula and I was hooked. A friend later wrote the dating program for our college, abused it the same way mentioned earlier, with the same results.
4 I'm religious about backup, my own and others. Too much of my life is on my hard drive to risk it.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun May 12, 2013 2:43 pm UTC

ttscp wrote:The first living thing they've seen in the entire story so far and they don't say anything? Anything at all? Even a black bird among white ones would deserve some comment.

Like what? “Look! It's a bird!”?¹

¹: I wonder where the punctuation marks are supposed to go in American English in this sentence...
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Sun May 12, 2013 2:58 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
ttscp wrote:The first living thing they've seen in the entire story so far and they don't say anything? Anything at all? Even a black bird among white ones would deserve some comment.

¹: I wonder where the punctuation marks are supposed to go in American English in this sentence...

I guess I'm thinking in terms of plot. No comment implies the bird is ordinary, but showing it implies it is relevant. That would be true in an ordinary story, but because we are watching grass grow, Lord Randall throws in things to keep us interested.

I really just wanted another hint as to what was going on.

I can't help you with the punctuation, I just ask my sister the English major.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sun May 12, 2013 3:07 pm UTC

And so Ong...

edit
just logged in to say "Did you folks see that, that comic named 'Time' changes??? Wow!!!!!!"
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Sun May 12, 2013 3:28 pm UTC

Back from speedblitzing!¹

Smithers wrote:I've been using Pikrass's newpix converter script to convert post times to newpix. However, if a post has been edited, the last edited time still shows up in heretic format. I have modified my local copy to fix this deficiency. Here is the modified script, which converts post times, last edit times and user join times.

Oh thanks, I updated the script with your changes. :)

¹ that is, blitzing by skipping and skimming through some posts. :oops:
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sun May 12, 2013 3:37 pm UTC

azule wrote:Where are you people??! THE SKY IS FALLING. *ahem* I mean, falling, gracefully. That's not a bird, it's THE END! The end is coming, and we're sitting behind our computers and phones thinking how magical that bird is. IT'S NOT A FUCKING BIRD! IT'S...uh...CANCER! That's right, flying cancer. With wings. Fucking cancer. Don't they know it's the pigeons' jobs to spread disease. *shakes head*

I'm sad. There's no one around to share my fear with me. The OTC is ending. XKCD is ending. The WORLD IS ENDING! :cry:

lmjb1964 wrote:And now I coma, and leave you with MobTeeseBoose and Bing [Bot] to keep you company. This is always a lonely time on the OTT...

It has been slow around here hasn't it? Newpage 598: 5 newpixs. There have been times when there were 5 newpages between newpixs. haven't there?
Maybe it's just the [heretical units of time]weekend or just Saturday night (US)[/heretical units of time], but sometimes it's either talk to oneself, or shuffle off for a bit.

ttscp wrote:
mscha wrote:

I guess I'm thinking in terms of plot. No comment implies the bird is ordinary, but showing it implies it is relevant. That would be true in an ordinary story, but because we are watching grass grow, Lord Randall throws in things to keep us interested.

I really just wanted another hint as to what was going on.

I can't help you with the punctuation, I just ask my sister the English major.

Yea, what ttscp said about plot points. We're only shown relevant bits and pieces and not the whole landscape. Like a play vs. a movie; a little grass in a pot at the edge of the stage to show the outdoors vs. NEW ZEALAND as the backdrop.

1mscha: That how I'd punctuate a quote with exclamation mark being used in a question. (Not an English major)

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sun May 12, 2013 4:00 pm UTC

By Grabthar's hammer... by the Suns of Warvan... you shall be... onged.
For you non-Questers out there (you two, hiding under that rock)
Sir Alexander Dane: Quellek... by Grabthar's hammer... by the Suns of Warvan... you shall be... avenged.

We have been getting some flamboyant,even epic, Ongs lately...

Edit
Is it my imagination? Are the dunes getting lower, smaller? Are they coming out of this area with the Bigger Hills still in front of them?

...Wait For It....
Last edited by pelrigg on Sun May 12, 2013 4:06 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

HES

Postby HES » Sun May 12, 2013 4:04 pm UTC

Early morning1 ketchup, bringing some fellow de-lurkers with me:

waveney wrote:Time to de-lurk.

As a birder, I think it is a bird of prey - perhap a vulture or kestrel. It is not a small bird, from its wing shape it spends a lot of time flying, and is not a gull. From the first frame I thought it might be a swift, but definately not in the second frame. I think vulture is most likely in the desert.

Ace wrote:Hellooo ketchuppers, newbie here. You trekking types might be the first to read my first post, after it gets out of moderation! Been following the thread since the beginning, only just decided to create an account, since the OTT seems quieter these days.

Of course, I got sidetracked while typing this, and I come back to find the OTC has discovered life. Just when you think things are finally calm.. :roll:

Has anyone stopped to consider the mechanics of stick-bird flight? How much lift to pixels provide?

1 yes yes, it's 5pm here. My sleeping pattern is as messed up as the mustard.
He/Him/His Image

hamjudo

Postby hamjudo » Sun May 12, 2013 4:11 pm UTC

HES wrote:Has anyone stopped to consider the mechanics of stick-bird flight? How much lift to pixels provide?

Once you understand stick figure world gravity, flight is much easier to understand.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun May 12, 2013 4:11 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:By Grabthar's hammer... by the Suns of Warvan... you shall be... onged.
Spoiler:

For you non-Questers out there (you two, hiding under that rock)
Sir Alexander Dane: Quellek... by Grabthar's hammer... by the Suns of Warvan... you shall be... avenged.

We have been getting some flamboyant,even epic, Ongs lately...

Edit
Is it my imagination? Are the dunes getting lower, smaller? Are they coming out of this area with the Bigger Hills still in front of them?

...Wait For It....

It would seem the hills are getting smaller again. Maybe that last one was the ridge between the coastal area and the inland area, hence the appearance of new wildlife?

Also, take the time to thank your female parental figure of choice for allowing you to Wait For It. They made it all possible, after all :)

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Sun May 12, 2013 4:12 pm UTC

Pikrass wrote:Back from speedblitzing!¹

¹ that is, blitzing by skipping and skimming through some posts. :oops:

I do that too, quite a bit. :oops: :)

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sun May 12, 2013 4:16 pm UTC

hamjudo wrote:
HES wrote:Has anyone stopped to consider the mechanics of stick-bird flight? How much lift to pixels provide?

Once you understand stick figure world gravity, flight is much easier to understand.

There was a small discussion a while back about flying.
Maybe the stick-bird has mastered the "throwing yourself at the ground and missing" method.

Also, take the time to thank your female parental figure of choice for allowing you to Wait For It. They made it all possible, after all :)

Thanks Mom....
<can't say it to you (RIP), so I'll say it here>

HES

Postby HES » Sun May 12, 2013 4:24 pm UTC

SBN wrote:Good morning. Happy Mother's Day. (Please select the greeting of your choice.)

ChronosDragon wrote:Also, take the time to thank your female parental figure of choice for allowing you to Wait For It. They made it all possible, after all :)

Um... is this one of those holidays you have at a different time across the pond, or do I need to make an apologetic phone call?

pelrigg wrote:
hamjudo wrote:

There was a small discussion a while back about flying.
Maybe the stick-bird has mastered the "throwing yourself at the ground and missing" method.

So there was (my second post was part of it). Perhaps it was distracted by some hatted folk singing a song...
He/Him/His Image

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Sun May 12, 2013 4:31 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:<can't say it to you (RIP), so I'll say it here>

Maybe we could open a time vortex so you could do it personally.
(Just don't tell the Inquisition about it; they hate past-changing time-travel.)
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Sun May 12, 2013 4:34 pm UTC

I've just noticed that soon we'll be on our 600th page. Wow. :o :o :o

ETA - don't you just love coincidences? Have some more fudge:

Spoiler:

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sun May 12, 2013 4:36 pm UTC

HES wrote:
SBN wrote:Good morning. Happy Mother's Day. (Please select the greeting of your choice.)

ChronosDragon wrote:Also, take the time to thank your female parental figure of choice for allowing you to Wait For It. They made it all possible, after all :)

Um... is this one of those holidays you have at a different time across the pond, or do I need to make an apologetic phone call?

From a current National Geo (on-line) article about (US) Mothers' Day:
Britain's centuries-old Mothering Sunday, the fourth Sunday of the Christian period of Lent, began as a spring Sunday designated for people to visit their area's main cathedral, or mother church, rather than their local parish.

Mothering Sunday church travel led to family reunions, which in turn led to Britain's version of Mother's Day.

Really long URL (which I don't know how to cover, like putting a spiffy look here and having that as a link). So look here:
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... k_20130511

But call Mum, any way, bet she'd like that. (Depending on local time, I mean)

edit
So who's Centa-pope here?
>AluisioASG for last post on Newpage 599?
>TheMinim for first post on Newpage 600?
or
>"to be announced" the last poster of Newpage 600?????????????????????????????????????????

Edit 2
Two different flavors of fudge from TheMinim? Thanks. Someone said something about a weight-loss program, I think I'm gonna need it.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”