1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Earthling on Mars » Fri May 17, 2013 6:55 pm UTC

[edit] Thanks for the cool KETCHUP image, whoever first posted that...

@various people - the Dark Lord story
@yappobiscuits - lego(s)
@SBN - wheelbarrow
@Ebonite - e-mail, names of some things

Spoiler:
Opiboble wrote:
Earthling on Mars wrote:-snip-

Chapter 2 please!

astrocub wrote:
Earthling on Mars wrote:-snip-
And the Dark Lord speaks, with a voice that could cause the Sea¹ to freeze over.

"Go to the Megball," he says, "and eat their brains."

Excellent, the One True Dark Lord is a fellow amoebocyst.

BlitzGirl wrote:*eagerly awaits next chapter of the story by Earthling on Mars*

ucim wrote:

So.. is that what has been happening to my brains? Wait a minute, I don't even look like the Megball! Quick - Chapter 2 - I'm on the edge of my seat!

StratPlayer wrote:
Earthling on Mars wrote:In a dark room, in a dark palace, on his dark throne, sits the Dark Lord. He is twice the height of a man, clad entirely in black, and on his head is a black crown...

Ooh! I like this! I'm hoping it develops into more! Nice work.

Thanks all! Chapter 2 will come ... sometime. And I, too, eagerly await further installments of the First Cleric Saga and the Case of the Little River.

yappobiscuits wrote:Re. Lego vs. Legos - One of the reasons I've always found "Legos" weird and wrong (other than being British and therefore used to "Lego") is because it's this weird thing Americans have done with just this ONE brand. Like you don't see anyone referring to other similar products in the same way, nobody ever talks about "Knexes" or "Meccanos" or calls pieces of model train track "Hornbys"...

Mega Bloks

And rest assured that "blocks of Lego" sounds just as wrong to me as "Legos" does to you.

SBN wrote:
jetpac wrote:
SBN wrote:Not sure if the UK folks will have as much interest, but there are apparently some regional/chronological differences within the U.S.

I've always heard it called a wheelbarrow. What else is it?

Apparently there are places in the US where it is a wheel-barrel.

Though I would spell it wheelbarrow, in speaking it tends to come out more like wheel-barrel.

Ebonite wrote:Second: regarding the pluralization of "Lego". Some people have commented that "Legos" isn't a word because "Lego" is already plural, like "sand" or "water". How many of you out there have heard people talk about having "50 e-mails in my inbox"? This one has been like fingernails on a chalkboard to me since I started hearing it a decade or two ago. I don't think you can have 50 e-mails any more than you can have 50 mails delivered by the mailman. You can have sand, water, mail, and e-mail, but you can't have sands, waters, mails, or e-mails. (Unless you're talking about classes or categories, such as "sands from five different beaches of the world", which is not the usage we're talking about here.)

I have always said, "I have 50 e-mail messages in my inbox." I guess this is analogous to saying "I have 50 Lego bricks".

But... I would say "50 e-mails". Around here at least, people say "I'll send you an e-mail" all the time. "E-mail messages" sounds overly formal and stilted to me.

Ebonite wrote:Another fun thing he did in the class was show pictures of common objects (such as the wheelbarrow) and ask students to write down what they were called. Some of them included:
- a bottle containing a carbonated beverage
- the valve-like device attached to the side of your house that you might attach a garden hose to
- a paper container that the grocery store puts your purchases into so you can carry them out

- soda bottle
- that thing you connect the hose to
- paper bag
Last edited by Earthling on Mars on Fri May 17, 2013 6:57 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

RobIrr

Postby RobIrr » Fri May 17, 2013 6:57 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
jetpac wrote:
Valarya wrote:
RobIrr wrote:What do people call the slightly squashed spheres of bread that are traditionally choped in half horizontally so that bacon1 can be placed within?

1 - other fillings are available

I'm so confused by this, hah. Pita? Sandwich wedges? Bread? :P

I assumed he was referring to buns? Like hamburger or hot dog buns? I guess they could also be called rolls.

I would have said biscuits (doubtless to the confounding of our English readers).

I use "roll" but "barm" (barmcake) seems popular round here, along with Buns and Baps. Size seems makes a difference as to the use, but not as much as locality. A fast-food-sandwich chain seems insistent on foisting "sub" on us, for the more stretched variety, but I don't know anybody who uses that outside their particular products. Those are still rolls, or baguettes or sticks.
RobIrr, Bishop of the Diocese of Recursive Magic Kingdoi.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

ElWanderer

Postby ElWanderer » Fri May 17, 2013 6:58 pm UTC

jetpac wrote:
Valarya wrote:
RobIrr wrote:What do people call the slightly squashed spheres of bread that are traditionally choped in half horizontally so that bacon1 can be placed within?

I assumed he was referring to buns? Like hamburger or hot dog buns? I guess they could also be called rolls.

Buns, rolls, baps, cobs, butties are some words for not-quite-spherical bread products. This is an area with a lot of regional variation in the UK... I'll have missed several possibilities.
Now I am become Geoff, the destroyer of worlds

RobIrr

Postby RobIrr » Fri May 17, 2013 6:59 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:It is beautiful indeed! Stop and smell the newpix, everyone!

Spoiler:

This is what we'd see if we had a proper 3-D view instead of a 2-D slice in B&W.

Lovely ! :D
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Fri May 17, 2013 6:59 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:A possible artist's rendition of a Lagomorpha-raptor:

You forgot the fishnet tights to go with that bunny tail.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

akacat

Postby akacat » Fri May 17, 2013 6:59 pm UTC

RobIrr wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:
jetpac wrote:
Valarya wrote:

I would have said biscuits (doubtless to the confounding of our English readers).

I use "roll" but "barm" (barmcake) seems popular round here, along with Buns and Baps. Size seems makes a difference as to the use, but not as much as locality. A fast-food-sandwich chain seems insistent on foisting "sub" on us, for the more stretched variety, but I don't know anybody who uses that outside their particular products. Those are still rolls, or baguettes or sticks.

I was going to say Bagel, just to be a smart-ass. But I assume he meant ([hamburger|hotdog] buns), or rolls.

fatness

Postby fatness » Fri May 17, 2013 7:02 pm UTC

Two in a rONG

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Fri May 17, 2013 7:02 pm UTC

TimeLurker wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:Yes, we already know about the Javascript.

In that case I'll continue to Wait for It.

~TimeLurker
Voice of the Silent

Waiting for it is all any of us do regardless of how jokingly flippant we may become. But you need not wait in solitude, nor in silence. Post as often as you'd like.

The only guideline I might offer is that all ideas are welcome as long as presented without arrogance or confrontation (whether long-time poster of first-time visitor). We've teetered on the brink a few times, but have yet to engage in a flame-war in all our long run of this Thread (true, the discussion over "who should post and how should they post" debate is admittedly our weakest area, but even so, we've managed to keep the conversation mostly civil on even this topic).

So you and all lurkers are of course very welcome to join us!
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Fri May 17, 2013 7:03 pm UTC

RobIrr wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:
jetpac wrote:
Valarya wrote:

Alright, now I'm even more confused. I've never heard the word "barm" or "baps" in reference to bread... in my life. Neither have I heard what ElWanderer stated as "cobs." I only just learned "butty" today because I was at an Irish restaurant, saw the word on the menu, and immediately had to google.

Also, rolls, buns and baguettes are three completely different things in my 'neck of the woods.' :?
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

RobIrr

Postby RobIrr » Fri May 17, 2013 7:07 pm UTC

ElWanderer wrote:Buns, rolls, baps, cobs, butties are some words for not-quite-spherical bread products. This is an area with a lot of regional variation in the UK... I'll have missed several possibilities.

Indeed ... It's amazing just how much variety there is in describing something so simple. I've moved about the country a bit over time, and I've had momentarily confused looks when asking for them by the wrong name in locations even just a few miles apart... (of course, most people know most of the names, but it throws the mental cogs a little when you ask them for something that's not what they think of it as.)
BlitzGirl the Primordial

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Fri May 17, 2013 7:07 pm UTC

fatness wrote:Two in a rONG

Spoiler:

Well, unless you count all us Timewaiters as "people"... But the jury is still out on some of us. I know one for sure is a bot, and I have some suspicions on a few others...
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri May 17, 2013 7:09 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
Valarya wrote:<snip>I've never heard of Meccanos or Hornbys. :mrgreen:

SBN wrote:<snip> I don't know what Meccanos or Hornbys are either.

Of course, that's why I said "you don't hear anyone talking about [them]", it's "Meccano" and "Hornby", NOT the plural, that's the point I was trying to make XD

But yeah in all seriousness, I think we only have those brands in the UK.

(Sorry, I don't mean to carry on beating the dead horse that is this Lego vs Legos thing, just wanted to inform you guys what Meccano and Hornby were)

So, Erector sets and Lionel trains. I could see using Lionels, I think I might have told my kids to pick up their Brios sometimes. But an Erector set is a singular thing, that is used to build other things.

Febrion wrote:
TimeLurker wrote:What are the "suggestions" for lurkers who wish to provide comments from time to time?

~TimeLurker
Voice of the Silent

Please do

Just no flashy-things, without properly labeled spoilers.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Fri May 17, 2013 7:09 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
RobIrr wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:
jetpac wrote:
Valarya wrote:

Alright, now I'm even more confused. I've never heard the word "barm" or "baps" in reference to bread... in my life. Neither have I heard what ElWanderer stated as "cobs." I only just learned "butty" today because I was at an Irish restaurant, saw the word on the menu, and immediately had to google.

Also, rolls, buns and baguettes are three completely different things in my 'neck of the woods.' :?

I was also confused, but it was by the "bacon" reference. Who puts bacon on a bun or roll as the primary ingredient? I would have said hamburgers...

Buns if they're soft. Rolls if they have a firm texture.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
The end is always near.
Lord Randall wrote:Wait for it.

fatness

Postby fatness » Fri May 17, 2013 7:12 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:

Spoiler:

Well, unless you count all us Timewaiters as "people"... But the jury is still out on some of us. I know one for sure is a bot, and I have some suspicions on a few others...

Well, that confirms that Cuegan hasn't seen La Petite...unless she is just a hat-wearing Molpy.

speising

Postby speising » Fri May 17, 2013 7:12 pm UTC

how does she figure that?

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri May 17, 2013 7:13 pm UTC

The wording in the newpix bothers me.

"We haven't been seen by any people yet."
vs.
"We haven't seen any people yet."

Did they see a people that we didn't?
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Fri May 17, 2013 7:15 pm UTC

fatness wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

Spoiler:

Well, that confirms that Cuegan hasn't seen La Petite...unless she is just a hat-wearing Molpy.

Good point! Although if La Petite is a molpy, we might have to change her name -- she's HUGE compared to a molpy! "Le Molpy Grande"?

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri May 17, 2013 7:16 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
fatness wrote:Well, that confirms that Cuegan hasn't seen La Petite...unless she is just a hat-wearing Molpy.

Good point! Although if La Petite is a molpy, we might have to change her name -- she's HUGE compared to a molpy! "Le Molpy Grande"?

Perhaps she is the true Molpy Mome.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Fri May 17, 2013 7:18 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:The wording in the newpix bothers me.

vs.

Kind of depends on your perspective. If you're doing something you either do or don't want people to notice (a stage play, trespassing, streaking, flashing, etc) you tend to focus on what might happen if others see you. Makes me wonder what Megball are really up to???

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Fri May 17, 2013 7:19 pm UTC

Ebonite wrote:<slash>
My brother took a college linguistics class from a professor who specialized in regional dialects. One fun thing he did in his classes was to have his students read a short paragraph, and based on the way they pronounced certain words, he could generally identify within 100 miles or so where in the US that person grew up. (When my brother did the exercise, the professor correctly recognized that my brother grew up in a military family that traveled extensively, and he could identify several of the places we had lived.)

Another fun thing he did in the class was show pictures of common objects (such as the wheelbarrow) and ask students to write down what they were called. Some of them included:
- the valve-like device attached to the side of your house that you might attach a garden hose to
- a paper container that the grocery store puts your purchases into so you can carry them out

Naturally, each of these had more names than people realized.

I very much enjoyed your post.
Here in Luxembourg, things are on a smaller scale and people can be located within about 10 km by their accent and choice of words.
Talking of small scale, a friend went to a wedding in the wilds of Yorkshire, England. He was talking to someone, 'are you from round here?' He asked, 'oh no,' says the fellow, 'see those trees on the hill over there? I live just over that hill'.

speising

Postby speising » Fri May 17, 2013 7:19 pm UTC

actually, do we know that la petite saw them?

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri May 17, 2013 7:20 pm UTC

vs.

And aren't we people? :)

(Edit: shouldn't post before reading all messages... Ninja'd by StratPlayer.)
Last edited by mscha on Fri May 17, 2013 7:30 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

unreal37

Postby unreal37 » Fri May 17, 2013 7:21 pm UTC

vs.

It doesn't bother me, but the wording is strange. You would think her observation would be that "they haven't seen any people", but why would she observe that "they haven't been seen"? Are they sneaking around? The only people concerned with not being seen are ... ninjas?

Megan and Cueball are ninjas. QED.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Fri May 17, 2013 7:22 pm UTC

speising wrote:actually, do we know that la petite saw them?

Only Megan was in the frame when La Petite came the first time. They had both left well before the fading the second time she appeared... But Megan was lying down on the platform the first time -- maybe La Petite missed her, but then how would Megan know if she was or wasn't seen by someone that she herself either did or did not see?

I think I've given myself a headache...

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri May 17, 2013 7:23 pm UTC

mscha wrote:And aren't we people? :)

We're Outside of Time, so I don't think we count.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Fri May 17, 2013 7:25 pm UTC

Note: Tangentally touching on blitzposts, but more in the way of explaining what I mean by suggestion.

Mscha: you don't offer suggestions because you are superior to the person you are suggesting things to. You offer suggestions because you have more experience than those people. Having read nearly all of the OTT, I have more experience with it than most people who are currently blitzing do.(I've missed something like 30 pages) It isn't because I feel superior to them(I am, but opnly in matters of dispensing punishment to heretics... :P ) so much as in the same fashion as one who has spent years on the sea might suggest not setting out if the sky is red in the morning. It is because I wish to help them that I suggest, not because I wish to suppress them.

They can offer suggestions to me, as well, and I will consider them--which is all I expect anyone to do with a suggestion. My suggestions are likely to have a bit more weight, I guess, simply because I have read more than they of the OTC, but that doesn't mean that mine or incioble, nor that theirs are are not worth considering.

In short, a suggestion is only a suggestion, not an order or a rule. much like posting, I can only worry so much about how people may take it. I am not(outside of possibly the intial argument, depending on how you interpret it--I never meant to, but that may not be how it came out) saying people shouldn't blitz, nor trying to discourage them from posting signposts; I merely think that they, and we as well, should consider how others will read the post, and thendecide whether it is worth posting. No lie, I have deleted entire posts before posting them)some longer than this one) because they were neither witty, informative, helpful, nor added to the thread in my opinion. Is it really so wrong to ask that others put as much thought into whaqt they post as I, given that I don't expect them to take my words as law?

If so, then you really should stop telling people not to post siggestions, because what right do you have to do so? what m,akes you superior to the people who post those?

If not, then we need to agree to disagree, because we aren't going to find common ground.

In other news, Why is Cueball more worried about being seen by other people, and not seeing other peopel? Something seems off here. is it illegal to try and understand everything in Megball world?
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

thirds

Postby thirds » Fri May 17, 2013 7:25 pm UTC

How would anyone know they hadn't been seen by another person (disregarding the waiters)? Drones. Satellites. Camoflaged molpy-hunters. Lots of possibilities.

edit: thanks to Three: great post number 33
Last edited by thirds on Fri May 17, 2013 7:29 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Fri May 17, 2013 7:26 pm UTC

mscha wrote:

vs.

And aren't we people? :)

See, this is an example why the whole "Ketchuppers might post things that were already said later" discussion is silly. We're all "current" and yet we repeat ourselves and miss posts, too. From just a few posts earlier:

StratPlayer wrote:

Spoiler:

And not to pick on you, mscha -- I've done it too. We ALL do it. So what difference does it make if the repeat or missed point comes from "the present" or from 10 pages back? None that I can see...

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Fri May 17, 2013 7:29 pm UTC

thirds wrote:How would anyone know they hadn't been seen by another person (disregarding the waiters)? Drones. Satellites. Camoflaged molpy-hunters. Lots of possibilities.

Unless they know that if spotted the "other people" would confront them/chase them off/yell at them/give them cake/etc.

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Fri May 17, 2013 7:29 pm UTC

speising wrote:
Spoiler:

how does she figure that?

And does this mean they are trying not to be seen by other people?

They seem very concerned about how recent they have run into anyone else. And the "people from the hills"...

I suddenly think they are convicts on the run! They stole those boards from IKEA, oh the humanity.....
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri May 17, 2013 7:30 pm UTC

unreal37 wrote:It doesn't bother me, but the wording is strange. You would think her observation would be that "they haven't seen any people", but why would she observe that "they haven't been seen"? Are they sneaking around? The only people concerned with not being seen are ... ninjas?

Megan and Cueball are ninjas. QED.

Hunger Games again, they are worried about the Peace Keepers.
Exodies wrote:I very much enjoyed your post.
Here in Luxembourg, things are on a smaller scale and people can be located within about 10 km by their accent and choice of words.
Talking of small scale, a friend went to a wedding in the wilds of Yorkshire, England. He was talking to someone, 'are you from round here?' He asked, 'oh no,' says the fellow, 'see those trees on the hill over there? I live just over that hill'.

That's better than what I get. "We live beyond the Smith place." Simple enough, until you realize that the Smith place was built 150 years ago, and no Smith has lived in it in 100 years. Makes it really hard for a newcomer to figure out where stuff is.
That and the local insistence on naming roads for what was on them once. So the store is on School Road. Of course, they also name schools for the roads they are on, so we have "School Road School" now.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri May 17, 2013 7:30 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:Note: Tangentally touching on blitzposts, but more in the way of explaining what I mean by suggestion.

Mscha: you don't offer suggestions because you are superior to the person you are suggesting things to. You offer suggestions because you have more experience than those people. Having read nearly all of the OTT, I have more experience with it than most people who are currently blitzing do.(I've missed something like 30 pages) It isn't because I feel superior to them(I am, but opnly in matters of dispensing punishment to heretics... :P ) so much as in the same fashion as one who has spent years on the sea might suggest not setting out if the sky is red in the morning. It is because I wish to help them that I suggest, not because I wish to suppress them.

They can offer suggestions to me, as well, and I will consider them--which is all I expect anyone to do with a suggestion. My suggestions are likely to have a bit more weight, I guess, simply because I have read more than they of the OTC, but that doesn't mean that mine or incioble, nor that theirs are are not worth considering.

In short, a suggestion is only a suggestion, not an order or a rule. much like posting, I can only worry so much about how people may take it. I am not(outside of possibly the intial argument, depending on how you interpret it--I never meant to, but that may not be how it came out) saying people shouldn't blitz, nor trying to discourage them from posting signposts; I merely think that they, and we as well, should consider how others will read the post, and thendecide whether it is worth posting. No lie, I have deleted entire posts before posting them)some longer than this one) because they were neither witty, informative, helpful, nor added to the thread in my opinion. Is it really so wrong to ask that others put as much thought into whaqt they post as I, given that I don't expect them to take my words as law?

If so, then you really should stop telling people not to post siggestions, because what right do you have to do so? what m,akes you superior to the people who post those?

If not, then we need to agree to disagree, because we aren't going to find common ground.

In other news, Why is Cueball more worried about being seen by other people, and not seeing other peopel? Something seems off here. is it illegal to try and understand everything in Megball world?

Couldn't have put it better : )
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Fri May 17, 2013 7:33 pm UTC

I don't think LaPetite belongs to the "people" they're talking about - she's rather probably one of the kids coming down to the sea (big) this time of year, inhabiting tents high enough above the river (small, broken).
In any case, she makes it sound like seeing M&Q would be a noteworthy incident to those people. Something to think about...
Go Minim go!

fatness

Postby fatness » Fri May 17, 2013 7:36 pm UTC

SBN wrote:That's better than what I get. "We live beyond the Smith place." Simple enough, until you realize that the Smith place was built 150 years ago, and no Smith has lived in it in 100 years. Makes it really hard for a newcomer to figure out where stuff is.

I travel around the USA quite a bit and once was treated to driving directions which included "turn left where the big white barn used to be". :shock:

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Fri May 17, 2013 7:37 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
SBN wrote:
Flado wrote:
HAL9000 wrote: Blitzing to catch up is still perfectly okay, as long as you only respond to things when you have something especially important or clever to say.

I only bother saying important and clever somethings.

If we all do that it'll make blitzing much easier, but I'm not sure it'll be so much fun here.

My only issue with blitzing is when people bring up an argument/question that was resolved 3 posts after the quote they take, example being the Lego/Lego's thing, so many short blitzers would quote 1/2 way through the argument and bring it all back up. Read on a few more posts before you bring up a subject that was concluded 4+ NP back. Then quote the end of subject post and add on your thoughts please!

Dear Blitzers,
Ignore all that (musta been something he ate). Go ahead and bore the bejesus out of us. These are our posts, and we SHALL be heard.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Fri May 17, 2013 7:39 pm UTC

fatness wrote:
SBN wrote:That's better than what I get. "We live beyond the Smith place." Simple enough, until you realize that the Smith place was built 150 years ago, and no Smith has lived in it in 100 years. Makes it really hard for a newcomer to figure out where stuff is.

I travel around the USA quite a bit and once was treated to driving directions which included "turn left where the big white barn used to be". :shock:

Thawefulsome! Those directions are brilliantly useless.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

fatness

Postby fatness » Fri May 17, 2013 7:39 pm UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:In any case, she makes it sound like seeing M&Q would be a noteworthy incident to those people. Something to think about...

And in a bit flaming arrows will rain down upon Cuegan and interrupt their peaceful repose.

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri May 17, 2013 7:40 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
Spoiler:
Note: Tangentally touching on blitzposts, but more in the way of explaining what I mean by suggestion.

Mscha: you don't offer suggestions because you are superior to the person you are suggesting things to. You offer suggestions because you have more experience than those people. Having read nearly all of the OTT, I have more experience with it than most people who are currently blitzing do.(I've missed something like 30 pages) It isn't because I feel superior to them(I am, but only in matters of dispensing punishment to heretics... :P ) so much as in the same fashion as one who has spent years on the sea might suggest not setting out if the sky is red in the morning. It is because I wish to help them that I suggest, not because I wish to suppress them.

In short, a suggestion is only a suggestion, not an order or a rule. much like posting, I can only worry so much about how people may take it. I am not(outside of possibly the initial argument, depending on how you interpret it--I never meant to, but that may not be how it came out) saying people shouldn't blitz, nor trying to discourage them from posting signposts; I merely think that they, and we as well, should consider how others will read the post, and then decide whether it is worth posting. No lie, I have deleted entire posts before posting them)some longer than this one) because they were neither witty, informative, helpful, nor added to the thread in my opinion. Is it really so wrong to ask that others put as much thought into what they post as I, given that I don't expect them to take my words as law?

If so, then you really should stop telling people not to post suggestions, because what right do you have to do so? what makes you superior to the people who post those?

I realize that, and I don't want to do that – the last thing in Time that I want is to continue this discussion – but the problem is, if we just “agree to disagree”, your signature (and others) keeps discouraging Blitzers from posting. That may not be your intention, but it is proven reality.

But now I'll shut up, because you're obviously not going to change your mind. :(
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Fri May 17, 2013 7:43 pm UTC

Just thought of something -- another reason why you might be concerned about people not seeing you is if you're hopelessly lost in the wilderness and praying for someone to see you and rescue you.

Given the way they've been wandering and walking, it's entirely possible that they are indeed lost.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Fri May 17, 2013 7:44 pm UTC

RobIrr wrote:
SBN wrote:
ttscp wrote:
Ebonite wrote:
Another fun thing he did in the class was show pictures of common objects (such as the wheelbarrow) and ask students to write down what they were called. Some of them included:

Naturally, each of these had more names than people realized.

- bottle
- sprinkler
- plastic

Sprinkler? Aren't those at the far end of the hose?

lol.

- pop, fizzy drink, or the flavour by name. My grandma used to talk about Mineral Waters.
- Tap. Outside Tap specifically.
- carrier bags (and made of plastic)

What do people call the slightly squashed spheres of bread that are traditionally choped in half horizontally so that bacon1 can be placed within?

Balm cakes or baps

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”