1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
Opiboble
It's Machine Code.
Posts: 690
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:50 pm UTC
Location: Alaska, were the outside is always calling...

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Opiboble » Fri May 17, 2013 7:44 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
Spoiler:
Note: Tangentally touching on blitzposts, but more in the way of explaining what I mean by suggestion.

Mscha: you don't offer suggestions because you are superior to the person you are suggesting things to. You offer suggestions because you have more experience than those people. Having read nearly all of the OTT, I have more experience with it than most people who are currently blitzing do.(I've missed something like 30 pages) It isn't because I feel superior to them(I am, but only in matters of dispensing punishment to heretics... :P ) so much as in the same fashion as one who has spent years on the sea might suggest not setting out if the sky is red in the morning. It is because I wish to help them that I suggest, not because I wish to suppress them.

They can offer suggestions to me, as well, and I will consider them--which is all I expect anyone to do with a suggestion. My suggestions are likely to have a bit more weight, I guess, simply because I have read more than they of the OTC, but that doesn't mean that mine or incioble, nor that theirs are are not worth considering.

In short, a suggestion is only a suggestion, not an order or a rule. much like posting, I can only worry so much about how people may take it. I am not(outside of possibly the initial argument, depending on how you interpret it--I never meant to, but that may not be how it came out) saying people shouldn't blitz, nor trying to discourage them from posting signposts; I merely think that they, and we as well, should consider how others will read the post, and then decide whether it is worth posting. No lie, I have deleted entire posts before posting them)some longer than this one) because they were neither witty, informative, helpful, nor added to the thread in my opinion. Is it really so wrong to ask that others put as much thought into what they post as I, given that I don't expect them to take my words as law?

If so, then you really should stop telling people not to post suggestions, because what right do you have to do so? what makes you superior to the people who post those?

I realize that, and I don't want to do that – the last thing in Time that I want is to continue this discussion – but the problem is, if we just “agree to disagree”, your signature (and others) keeps discouraging Blitzers from posting. That may not be your intention, but it is proven reality.

But now I'll shut up, because you're obviously not going to change your mind. :(

I have made it a note to Coma Blitzers and it isn't has bold and harsh. I like Ketchup posts/blasts from the past but I still think people coming back from Coma should be responsible with there blind posts, it doesn't take that long to read 3-5NP and quote discussions properly.
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

User avatar
BlitzGirl
Posts: 9089
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri May 17, 2013 7:46 pm UTC

I don't think Cuegan can be that lost; they seem to have been following the Riverfootnote.


footnoteI can't remember what number the "pretty neat" footer is supposed to be.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

User avatar
Opiboble
It's Machine Code.
Posts: 690
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:50 pm UTC
Location: Alaska, were the outside is always calling...

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Opiboble » Fri May 17, 2013 7:46 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:I don't think Cuegan can be that lost; they seem to have been following the Riverfootnote.


footnoteI can't remember what number the "pretty neat" footer is supposed to be.


5pretty neat
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

User avatar
Someguy945
Posts: 189
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:09 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Someguy945 » Fri May 17, 2013 7:47 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
speising wrote:actually, do we know that la petite saw them?

Only Megan was in the frame when La Petite came the first time. They had both left well before the fading the second time she appeared... But Megan was lying down on the platform the first time -- maybe La Petite missed her, but then how would Megan know if she was or wasn't seen by someone that she herself either did or did not see?

I think I've given myself a headache...


It's also perfectly reasonable to suggest that Megan merely meant "Nobody has seen us since we left the beach."

This especially makes sense if they were supposed to stay on the beach but left in violation of some law/rule. Cueball would perfectly understand what Megan was saying, even though we are confused.

User avatar
htom
Posts: 357
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:13 am UTC
Location: Twin Cities, MN, USA

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby htom » Fri May 17, 2013 7:48 pm UTC

Ebonite wrote:
Another fun thing he did in the class was show pictures of common objects (such as the wheelbarrow) and ask students to write down what they were called. Some of them included:
- a bottle containing a carbonated beverage
- the valve-like device attached to the side of your house that you might attach a garden hose to
- a paper container that the grocery store puts your purchases into so you can carry them out

Naturally, each of these had more names than people realized.


pop bottle.
hose bibb.
Paper sack, or sack. Plastic bag, or bag.

When I was young, I heard a wheel barrow called a "tip". Not sure who or where, or why I remember that.
RobIrr wrote:What do people call the slightly squashed spheres of bread that are traditionally choped in half horizontally so that bacon1 can be placed within?

1 - other fillings are available


Bun or roll. Bun is more likely a sweetened or milk yeast bread, roll a potato water or straight yeast bread. In the USA.

Lego is a mass noun that is usually pluralized when a count precedes it. Anyone who thinks English (or American) is a logical language has not been paying attention.

Things I'd like to attribute to particular individuals but won't go back to find, you'll recognize yourself:

Case of the Little River ++

First Cleric Saga ++

Dark Lord story ++

California Hotel thing ... pelt it with their M&Ms. Made me laugh out loud.

Quote the Alt-Text: Wait for it. Oh, this. Superb. Sublime.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

User avatar
HES
Posts: 4888
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 7:13 pm UTC
Location: England

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HES » Fri May 17, 2013 7:48 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:The wording in the newpix bothers me.

"We haven't been seen by any people yet."
vs.
"We haven't seen any people yet."


I actually read it as "seen any people" the first time. When that happens, something is clearly worded oddly. Maybe they are lost, or fugitives, as others have suggested
He/Him/His Image

User avatar
Exodies
Posts: 919
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:36 pm UTC
Location: Blackwaterside

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Exodies » Fri May 17, 2013 7:49 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
ergman wrote:
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:
Ebonite wrote:Another fun thing he did in the class was show pictures of common objects (such as the wheelbarrow) and ask students to write down what they were called. Some of them included:
- a bottle containing a carbonated beverage
- the valve-like device attached to the side of your house that you might attach a garden hose to
- a paper container that the grocery store puts your purchases into so you can carry them out

For the record:
- “frisdank”, or simply “fris”
- “kraan”
- “zak”
Do you like your fris fizzy?
How cool would it be if frisdank just poured out of your kraan, instead of having to get it by the zak?

That I adapted so quickly to such usage of those words, that it all made perfect sense, to me is, somewhat, disturbing. :shock:

That's a side effect of reading the OTT about the OTC (currently featuring Cuegan drinking from the dilgunnerang). Even the molpy-minded adapt faster than a sparrow-raptor, absorbing new terms every newpix, whether it's from a discussion read while ketchup blitzing the pastposts, a sigcouragement response, or from the most recent B/D/G ONG. (Birds-that-we-don't-wish-to-call-birds-but-maybe-boobies-will-be-okay, anyone?) I wonder if the OTA, GLR, had any idea what would happen when he unleashed this marvel upon Outside minds, who now scan semencoffeebaconcancerbabiesonice for any sign of heretical mustard, compare the heights of creatures in centicues, keep the OTW updated and give each other Present Presents. Whether we be Amoebaeists or Loopists, Temporal Illuminati or Timewaiters, PFANPs or Mopey Molpy Momes, Trekers or thread-dwellers living in the Now, we know how to take any Madness that infects this needle-pulled thing in stride as we Wait for it together.

Does this make sense if read backwards?
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

airdrik
Posts: 245
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 3:08 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby airdrik » Fri May 17, 2013 7:50 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
mscha wrote:And aren't we people? :)

We're Outside of Time, so I don't think we count.

So I guess that makes us the Insiders outside the inside of the outside of the OTC?

unreal37
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 10:05 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby unreal37 » Fri May 17, 2013 7:51 pm UTC

Someguy945 wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
speising wrote:actually, do we know that la petite saw them?

Only Megan was in the frame when La Petite came the first time. They had both left well before the fading the second time she appeared... But Megan was lying down on the platform the first time -- maybe La Petite missed her, but then how would Megan know if she was or wasn't seen by someone that she herself either did or did not see?

I think I've given myself a headache...


It's also perfectly reasonable to suggest that Megan merely meant "Nobody has seen us since we left the beach."

This especially makes sense if they were supposed to stay on the beach but left in violation of some law/rule. Cueball would perfectly understand what Megan was saying, even though we are confused.


They are sitting on the bank of a river in the latest newpix. They're not hiding from anybody. It's a strange comment from Megan, but they're clearly not trying to sneak around.

User avatar
Prosthetic_Lips
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:59 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Prosthetic_Lips » Fri May 17, 2013 7:51 pm UTC

... but, they HAVE been seen by people ... US!

User avatar
Opiboble
It's Machine Code.
Posts: 690
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:50 pm UTC
Location: Alaska, were the outside is always calling...

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Opiboble » Fri May 17, 2013 7:51 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
ergman wrote:
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:
Ebonite wrote:Another fun thing he did in the class was show pictures of common objects (such as the wheelbarrow) and ask students to write down what they were called. Some of them included:
- a bottle containing a carbonated beverage
- the valve-like device attached to the side of your house that you might attach a garden hose to
- a paper container that the grocery store puts your purchases into so you can carry them out

For the record:
- “frisdank”, or simply “fris”
- “kraan”
- “zak”
Do you like your fris fizzy?
How cool would it be if frisdank just poured out of your kraan, instead of having to get it by the zak?

That I adapted so quickly to such usage of those words, that it all made perfect sense, to me is, somewhat, disturbing. :shock:

That's a side effect of reading the OTT about the OTC (currently featuring Cuegan drinking from the dilgunnerang). Even the molpy-minded adapt faster than a sparrow-raptor, absorbing new terms every newpix, whether it's from a discussion read while ketchup blitzing the pastposts, a sigcouragement response, or from the most recent B/D/G ONG. (Birds-that-we-don't-wish-to-call-birds-but-maybe-boobies-will-be-okay, anyone?) I wonder if the OTA, GLR, had any idea what would happen when he unleashed this marvel upon Outside minds, who now scan semencoffeebaconcancerbabiesonice for any sign of heretical mustard, compare the heights of creatures in centicues, keep the OTW updated and give each other Present Presents. Whether we be Amoebaeists or Loopists, Temporal Illuminati or Timewaiters, PFANPs or Mopey Molpy Momes, Trekers or thread-dwellers living in the Now, we know how to take any Madness that infects this needle-pulled thing in stride as we Wait for it together.

Does this make sense if read backwards?


Not really...

˙ɹǝɥʇǝƃoʇ ʇı ɹoɟ ʇıɐM ǝʍ sɐ ǝpıɹʇs uı ƃuıɥʇ pǝʃʃnd-ǝʃpǝǝu sıɥʇ sʇɔǝɟuı ʇɐɥʇ ssǝupɐW ʎuɐ ǝʞɐʇ oʇ ʍoɥ ʍouʞ ǝʍ 'ʍoᴎ ǝɥʇ uı ƃuıʌıʃ sɹǝʃʃǝʍp-pɐǝɹɥʇ ɹo sɹǝʞǝɹ⊥ 'sǝɯoW ʎdʃoW ʎǝdoW ɹo sԀᴎ∀ℲԀ 'sɹǝʇıɐʍǝɯı⊥ ɹo ıʇɐuıɯnʃʃI ʃɐɹodɯǝ⊥ 'sʇsıdoo⅂ ɹo sʇsıǝɐqǝoɯ∀ ǝq ǝʍ ɹǝɥʇǝɥM ˙sʇuǝsǝɹԀ ʇuǝsǝɹԀ ɹǝɥʇo ɥɔɐǝ ǝʌıƃ puɐ pǝʇɐpdn M⊥O ǝɥʇ dǝǝʞ 'sǝnɔıʇuǝɔ uı sǝɹnʇɐǝɹɔ ɟo sʇɥƃıǝɥ ǝɥʇ ǝɹɐdɯoɔ 'pɹɐʇsnɯ ʃɐɔıʇǝɹǝɥ ɟo uƃıs ʎuɐ ɹoɟ ǝɔıuosǝıqɐqɹǝɔuɐɔuoɔɐqǝǝɟɟoɔuǝɯǝs uɐɔs ʍou oɥʍ 'spuıɯ ǝpısʇnO uodn ʃǝʌɹɐɯ sıɥʇ pǝɥsɐǝʃun ǝɥ uǝɥʍ uǝddɐɥ pʃnoʍ ʇɐɥʍ ɐǝpı ʎuɐ pɐɥ 'ᴚ⅂⅁ '∀⊥O ǝɥʇ ɟı ɹǝpuoʍ I (¿ǝuoʎuɐ 'ʎɐʞo-ǝq-ʃʃıʍ-sǝıqooq-ǝqʎɐɯ-ʇnq-spɹıq-ʃʃɐɔ-oʇ-ɥsıʍ-ʇ,uop-ǝʍ-ʇɐɥʇ-spɹı𐐒) ˙⅁ᴎO ⅁/◖/𐐒 ʇuǝɔǝɹ ʇsoɯ ǝɥʇ ɯoɹɟ ɹo 'ǝsuodsǝɹ ʇuǝɯǝƃɐɹnoɔƃıs ɐ 'sʇsodʇsɐd ǝɥʇ ƃuızʇıʃq dnɥɔʇǝʞ ǝʃıɥʍ pɐǝɹ uoıssnɔsıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ s,ʇı ɹǝɥʇǝɥʍ 'xıdʍǝu ʎɹǝʌǝ sɯɹǝʇ ʍǝu ƃuıqɹosqɐ 'ɹoʇdɐɹ-ʍoɹɹɐds ɐ uɐɥʇ ɹǝʇsɐɟ ʇdɐpɐ pǝpuıɯ-ʎdʃoɯ ǝɥʇ uǝʌƎ ˙(ƃuɐɹǝuunƃʃıp ǝɥʇ ɯoɹɟ ƃuıʞuıɹp uɐƃǝnↃ ƃuıɹnʇɐǝɟ ʎʃʇuǝɹɹnɔ) Ↄ⊥O ǝɥʇ ʇnoqɐ ⊥⊥O ǝɥʇ ƃuıpɐǝɹ ɟo ʇɔǝɟɟǝ ǝpıs ɐ s,ʇɐɥ⊥
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

User avatar
Exodies
Posts: 919
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:36 pm UTC
Location: Blackwaterside

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Exodies » Fri May 17, 2013 7:52 pm UTC

TimeLurker wrote:What are the "suggestions" for lurkers who wish to provide comments from time to time?

~TimeLurker
Voice of the Silent

Hush?
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

User avatar
akacat
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:39 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby akacat » Fri May 17, 2013 7:53 pm UTC

fatness wrote:
SBN wrote:That's better than what I get. "We live beyond the Smith place." Simple enough, until you realize that the Smith place was built 150 years ago, and no Smith has lived in it in 100 years. Makes it really hard for a newcomer to figure out where stuff is.

I travel around the USA quite a bit and once was treated to driving directions which included "turn left where the big white barn used to be". :shock:


When I first moved to the city I live in now, the street signs were fairly useless. They weren't enough of them, and they were tiny. That led to the joke around the office "turn right where the old white church used to be."

Sadly (or not) street signs are now plentiful, and frequently large enough to read. So a lot of the newbies have never been indoctrinated into the joke.

User avatar
StratPlayer
Posts: 842
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby StratPlayer » Fri May 17, 2013 7:53 pm UTC

airdrik wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
mscha wrote:And aren't we people? :)

We're Outside of Time, so I don't think we count.

So I guess that makes us the Insiders outside the inside of the outside of the OTC?


Right. And as an aside: We're on the side of the insiders of the OTC, siding against the evil of the Outside, but that's besides the point...
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!


(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

User avatar
SBN
Saved
Posts: 2232
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:15 pm UTC
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby SBN » Fri May 17, 2013 7:53 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Dracomax wrote:If so, then you really should stop telling people not to post suggestions, because what right do you have to do so? what makes you superior to the people who post those?

I realize that, and I don't want to do that – the last thing in Time that I want is to continue this discussion – but the problem is, if we just “agree to disagree”, your signature (and others) keeps discouraging Blitzers from posting. That may not be your intention, but it is proven reality.

But now I'll shut up, because you're obviously not going to change your mind. :(

Not entirely sure we've proven reality here, but if you want to counter the apparent discouragment, you're welcome to offer encouragement of your own in your sig, or even through editing a past post. I still say disagreeing is less boring than agreeing, and I've not seen a friendlier place in which to disagree.

Opiboble wrote:I have made it a note to Coma Blitzers and it isn't has bold and harsh. I like Ketchup posts/blasts from the past but I still think people coming back from Coma should be responsible with there blind posts, it doesn't take that long to read 3-5NP and quote discussions properly.

Depends on how fast things are being posted. When I get behind, I start reading, and when I see something I have something to say about, I control-Quote it, and carry on reading, and control-Quoting each thing I have a response to. Then, when I am caught up, I look through the response tabs I have open, make my responses, make them all into one post and submit it. Sometimes, in the time it takes to make my response and submit it, many new posts will have been submitted. I try to account for those in my response, but sometimes it's going to fast and I finally just have to submit while my post retains some coherence.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

User avatar
mscha
Posts: 6902
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 pm UTC
Location: NL
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Fri May 17, 2013 7:54 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:I don't think Cuegan can be that lost; they seem to have been following the Riverfootnote.


footnoteI can't remember what number the "pretty neat" footer is supposed to be.

That's a bit annoying, we now have competing footnote standards. Could be ³, could be ⁵, depending on which standard you're following. :?
Edit: of course, this is how we fix that. ;)
Last edited by mscha on Fri May 17, 2013 7:56 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Image
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:
Image
Image

User avatar
StratPlayer
Posts: 842
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby StratPlayer » Fri May 17, 2013 7:56 pm UTC

akacat wrote:
fatness wrote:
SBN wrote:That's better than what I get. "We live beyond the Smith place." Simple enough, until you realize that the Smith place was built 150 years ago, and no Smith has lived in it in 100 years. Makes it really hard for a newcomer to figure out where stuff is.

I travel around the USA quite a bit and once was treated to driving directions which included "turn left where the big white barn used to be". :shock:


When I first moved to the city I live in now, the street signs were fairly useless. They weren't enough of them, and they were tiny. That led to the joke around the office "turn right where the old white church used to be."

Sadly (or not) street signs are now plentiful, and frequently large enough to read. So a lot of the newbies have never been indoctrinated into the joke.


...and it's a joke that technology is making even harder for the newbies to get: Nowdays, who asks for directions anyways? "I'll just use my GPS or Google Maps on my phone..."
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!


(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

User avatar
SBN
Saved
Posts: 2232
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:15 pm UTC
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby SBN » Fri May 17, 2013 7:57 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:I don't think Cuegan can be that lost; they seem to have been following the Riverfootnote.


footnoteI can't remember what number the "pretty neat" footer is supposed to be.

That's a bit annoying, we now have competing footnote standards. Could be ³, could be ⁵, depending on which standard you're following. :?
Edit: of course, this is how we fix that. ;)

Finally, the footnotes are meeting the OTT standard of multiple, confusing standards.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

User avatar
Ebonite
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:30 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Ebonite » Fri May 17, 2013 7:58 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:I very much enjoyed your post.
Here in Luxembourg, things are on a smaller scale and people can be located within about 10 km by their accent and choice of words.
Talking of small scale, a friend went to a wedding in the wilds of Yorkshire, England. He was talking to someone, 'are you from round here?' He asked, 'oh no,' says the fellow, 'see those trees on the hill over there? I live just over that hill'.

Thank you!

On topic of regionalisms: I've lived in Texas now for over 30 years, but I don't have a Texas drawl since I didn't grow up here. However, my wife says that she's noticed I've started to leave off the "g" at the ends of words occasionally when I speak, so now I'm "goin'" places and "doin" things instead of going and doing. I consider that more laziness in enunciation than anythin' else. :D

No matter what, I will never be a true Texan. I don't use "y'all" except in jest, and I don't use "all y'all" for any reason whatsoever. And I absolutely refuse to be fixin' to do something when nothing seems to be broken!

To switch gears back to the OTC: I wonder if the latest dialogue ("we haven't been seen by any people yet") is just GLR's way of drawing readers' attention back to la Petite? Maybe he's just trying to remind everyone (1) there was a third character that showed up a long time ago, and (2) we saw her, but Cueball and Megan did not. Perhaps this means something interesting is coming up with La Petite that only makes sense if we remember those two facts.
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

User avatar
Opiboble
It's Machine Code.
Posts: 690
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:50 pm UTC
Location: Alaska, were the outside is always calling...

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Opiboble » Fri May 17, 2013 7:58 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:
Dracomax wrote:If so, then you really should stop telling people not to post suggestions, because what right do you have to do so? what makes you superior to the people who post those?

I realize that, and I don't want to do that – the last thing in Time that I want is to continue this discussion – but the problem is, if we just “agree to disagree”, your signature (and others) keeps discouraging Blitzers from posting. That may not be your intention, but it is proven reality.

But now I'll shut up, because you're obviously not going to change your mind. :(

Not entirely sure we've proven reality here, but if you want to counter the apparent discouragment, you're welcome to offer encouragement of your own in your sig, or even through editing a past post. I still say disagreeing is less boring than agreeing, and I've not seen a friendlier place in which to disagree.


Opiboble wrote:I have made it a note to Coma Blitzers and it isn't has bold and harsh. I like Ketchup posts/blasts from the past but I still think people coming back from Coma should be responsible with there blind posts, it doesn't take that long to read 3-5NP and quote discussions properly.

Depends on how fast things are being posted. When I get behind, I start reading, and when I see something I have something to say about, I control-Quote it, and carry on reading, and control-Quoting each thing I have a response to. Then, when I am caught up, I look through the response tabs I have open, make my responses, make them all into one post and submit it. Sometimes, in the time it takes to make my response and submit it, many new posts will have been submitted. I try to account for those in my response, but sometimes it's going to fast and I finally just have to submit while my post retains some coherence.


I know it can be hard to keep up sometimes, even in the present, but my note is to remind people to be mindful when they are quoting to avoid huge leap backs to the first couple posts of a long discussion.
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

airdrik
Posts: 245
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 3:08 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby airdrik » Fri May 17, 2013 7:59 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:I don't think Cuegan can be that lost; they seem to have been following the Riverfootnote.


footnoteI can't remember what number the "pretty neat" footer is supposed to be.

That's a bit annoying, we now have competing footnote standards. Could be ³, could be ⁵, depending on which standard you're following. :?
Edit: of course, this is how we fix that. ;)

So we obviously need to create a new standard standard for our footnotes:
B big
s: small
n: neat
N: pretty neat, and even bigger than it looked
o: old
b: beautiful

User avatar
fhorn
Posts: 422
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:07 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby fhorn » Fri May 17, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

a bunch of stuff, interesting mostly to me but are probably from long-ago because I'm so slow at, well, mostly everything about:
me: PPP
XonqNopp: wedding
Robllr: butties
BlitzGirl: kind words
Spoiler:
fhorn wrote:Dialogue ahead!
(Joining the ranks of the PPP [piss-poor predictors {is that like big ass-predictors?}] in three.... two..... one..........)

NAILED IT.

XonqNopp wrote:I will not ketchup today, not until next Tuesday... Because today I get married (the civil mariage, so little ceremony with little people, the religious mariage is next month) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Many congratulations, XonqNopp! Wishing you happiness for all Time.

RobIrr wrote:What do people call the slightly squashed spheres of bread that are traditionally choped in half horizontally so that bacon1 can be placed within?1 - other fillings are available

My father-in-law, when he lived in the UK, would talk about having "bacon butties" after church. Since I had never heard of butties, I thought he was saying bacon buddies, like a bunch of friends were getting together and having breakfast.....

BlitzGirl wrote: Whether we be Amoebaeists or Loopists, Temporal Illuminati or Timewaiters, PFANPs or Mopey Molpy Momes, Trekers or thread-dwellers living in the Now, we know how to take any Madness that infects this needle-pulled thing in stride as we Wait for it together.

BlitzGirl, once again you've woven commen sense and beautiful imagery into an inclusionary, unifying, supportive declaration. Good on you. The OTT is richer for your calm wisdom.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

User avatar
Opiboble
It's Machine Code.
Posts: 690
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:50 pm UTC
Location: Alaska, were the outside is always calling...

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Opiboble » Fri May 17, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
mscha wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:I don't think Cuegan can be that lost; they seem to have been following the Riverfootnote.


footnoteI can't remember what number the "pretty neat" footer is supposed to be.

That's a bit annoying, we now have competing footnote standards. Could be ³, could be ⁵, depending on which standard you're following. :?
Edit: of course, this is how we fix that. ;)

Finally, the footnotes are meeting the OTT standard of multiple, confusing standards.


Good. Good. It is happening as planned.
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

User avatar
Exodies
Posts: 919
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:36 pm UTC
Location: Blackwaterside

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Exodies » Fri May 17, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:The wording in the newpix bothers me.

"We haven't been seen by any people yet."
vs.
"We haven't seen any people yet."


Did they see a people that we didn't?

They stared out at us a couple of times.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

User avatar
fatness
Posts: 178
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:05 am UTC
Location: Sometime last week

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby fatness » Fri May 17, 2013 8:01 pm UTC

ThreeferONG
Image

They should.

User avatar
StratPlayer
Posts: 842
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby StratPlayer » Fri May 17, 2013 8:05 pm UTC

fatness wrote:ThreeferONG
Spoiler:
Image


They should.


Egads! Squatters! Land-grabbers! Imperial colonists trying to take possession of the untainted wilderness!!

<insert reference to global warming -- OTC link>
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!


(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

User avatar
BlitzGirl
Posts: 9089
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri May 17, 2013 8:06 pm UTC

Click and Drag, anybody?

This could be either an intentional nod to that, or more Timewaiter-sniping...
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

User avatar
SBN
Saved
Posts: 2232
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:15 pm UTC
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby SBN » Fri May 17, 2013 8:07 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:I know it can be hard to keep up sometimes, even in the present, but my note is to remind people to be mindful when they are quoting to avoid huge leap backs to the first couple posts of a long discussion.

If that's the one I have a response to, and it isn't going to be a simple, 'me, too' then that's the one I respond to. There are plenty of times when by the time I've read what is there when I start I see that my comment won't add enough for me to want to post it, so I don't.
(But for the record, Soda, faucet, bag.)
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

airdrik
Posts: 245
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 3:08 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby airdrik » Fri May 17, 2013 8:09 pm UTC

fatness wrote:ThreeferONG
Image

They should.

But what about their quest to find out what is causing the seaB to rise? To cross the riverN and find the other riverss? Yes this placeb is beautiful, and there are trees n, and camp fireso; but they shouldn't abandon their quest. They still haven't gained understanding about hardly anything yet (and how are they to come to understand everything if they don't gain understanding about anything?).

B big
s: small
n: neat
N: pretty neat, and even bigger than it looked
o: old
b: beautiful

ETA footnotes

User avatar
mscha
Posts: 6902
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 pm UTC
Location: NL
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Fri May 17, 2013 8:09 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
SBN wrote:
mscha wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:I don't think Cuegan can be that lost; they seem to have been following the Riverfootnote.


footnoteI can't remember what number the "pretty neat" footer is supposed to be.

That's a bit annoying, we now have competing footnote standards. Could be ³, could be ⁵, depending on which standard you're following. :?
Edit: of course, this is how we fix that. ;)

Finally, the footnotes are meeting the OTT standard of multiple, confusing standards.


Good. Good. It is happening as planned.

I think we can create one encompassing standard based on the three incompatible ones.
We simply prefix each footnote with (o) for Opibole's standard, (a) for airdrik's, and (m) for mine. (m)3, huh?

And then there were four...
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Image
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:
Image
Image

User avatar
Opiboble
It's Machine Code.
Posts: 690
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:50 pm UTC
Location: Alaska, were the outside is always calling...

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Opiboble » Fri May 17, 2013 8:12 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
SBN wrote:
mscha wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:I don't think Cuegan can be that lost; they seem to have been following the Riverfootnote.


footnoteI can't remember what number the "pretty neat" footer is supposed to be.

That's a bit annoying, we now have competing footnote standards. Could be ³, could be ⁵, depending on which standard you're following. :?
Edit: of course, this is how we fix that. ;)

Finally, the footnotes are meeting the OTT standard of multiple, confusing standards.


Good. Good. It is happening as planned.

I think we can create one encompassing standard based on the three incompatible ones.
We simply prefix each footnote with (o) for Opibole's standard, (a) for airdrik's, and (m) for mine. Pretty (m)3, huh?

And then there were four...


Well then we have to have a prefix for this over all standard...
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

User avatar
Someguy945
Posts: 189
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:09 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Someguy945 » Fri May 17, 2013 8:14 pm UTC

unreal37 wrote:
Someguy945 wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
speising wrote:actually, do we know that la petite saw them?

Only Megan was in the frame when La Petite came the first time. They had both left well before the fading the second time she appeared... But Megan was lying down on the platform the first time -- maybe La Petite missed her, but then how would Megan know if she was or wasn't seen by someone that she herself either did or did not see?

I think I've given myself a headache...


It's also perfectly reasonable to suggest that Megan merely meant "Nobody has seen us since we left the beach."

This especially makes sense if they were supposed to stay on the beach but left in violation of some law/rule. Cueball would perfectly understand what Megan was saying, even though we are confused.


They are sitting on the bank of a river in the latest newpix. They're not hiding from anybody. It's a strange comment from Megan, but they're clearly not trying to sneak around.


Just because they aren't hiding/sneaking, doesn't mean that they aren't violating some sort of rule. They might not care much about being seen, because the rising water crisis outweighs any other petty concerns.

User avatar
BlitzGirl
Posts: 9089
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri May 17, 2013 8:17 pm UTC

Well, my standardfootnote will be to use the word "footnote" whenever I want to say thisfootnote.

Here is the Click and Drag piece again:

Image
Spoiler:
LiveHere.jpg
LiveHere.jpg (10.02 KiB) Viewed 12909 times



footnote Pretty neat.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

User avatar
Exodies
Posts: 919
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:36 pm UTC
Location: Blackwaterside

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Exodies » Fri May 17, 2013 8:17 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
mscha wrote:
Dracomax wrote:If so, then you really should stop telling people not to post suggestions, because what right do you have to do so? what makes you superior to the people who post those?

I realize that, and I don't want to do that – the last thing in Time that I want is to continue this discussion – but the problem is, if we just “agree to disagree”, your signature (and others) keeps discouraging Blitzers from posting. That may not be your intention, but it is proven reality.

But now I'll shut up, because you're obviously not going to change your mind. :(

Not entirely sure we've proven reality here, but if you want to counter the apparent discouragment, you're welcome to offer encouragement of your own in your sig, or even through editing a past post. I still say disagreeing is less boring than agreeing, and I've not seen a friendlier place in which to disagree.

Opiboble wrote:I have made it a note to Coma Blitzers and it isn't has bold and harsh. I like Ketchup posts/blasts from the past but I still think people coming back from Coma should be responsible with there blind posts, it doesn't take that long to read 3-5NP and quote discussions properly.

Depends on how fast things are being posted. When I get behind, I start reading, and when I see something I have something to say about, I control-Quote it, and carry on reading, and control-Quoting each thing I have a response to. Then, when I am caught up, I look through the response tabs I have open, make my responses, make them all into one post and submit it. Sometimes, in the time it takes to make my response and submit it, many new posts will have been submitted. I try to account for those in my response, but sometimes it's going to fast and I finally just have to submit while my post retains some coherence.

I'd much rather read your immediate reaction to someone's post than a considered evaluation which included all the other dudes equally considered evaluations. Coherence schmoherence.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

User avatar
Earthling on Mars
Morning
Posts: 669
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:35 pm UTC
Location: Somewhere in the Solar System

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Earthling on Mars » Fri May 17, 2013 8:19 pm UTC

I wonder if the "we" she is referring to is their entire people, the ones who live in the tents (since I still hold to the theory that they are members of a nomadic tribe living in tents). So she is saying "This place is nicer than where the tents are now; our clan should move here."

User avatar
BlitzGirl
Posts: 9089
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri May 17, 2013 8:20 pm UTC

If Cuegan decides to settle down in Molpyland and get all domestic on us, I hope we get a scene change back to LaPetite.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

User avatar
Swein
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:11 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Swein » Fri May 17, 2013 8:20 pm UTC

airdrik wrote:
fatness wrote:ThreeferONG
Spoiler:
Image


They should.

But what about their quest to find out what is causing the seaB to rise? To cross the riverN and find the other riverss? Yes this placeb is beautiful, and there are trees n, and camp fireso; but they shouldn't abandon their quest. They still haven't gained understanding about hardly anything yet (and how are they to come to understand everything if they don't gain understanding about anything?).

B big
s: small
n: neat
N: pretty neat, and even bigger than it looked
o: old
b: beautiful

ETA footnotes


But alas! First their quest was to build a sand castle (which was awsome but not footnoted...)
Then it turned into a quest for knowledge.
Maybe it is time for another turn of the story.
Maybe it is time for building a life!
Last edited by Swein on Fri May 17, 2013 8:21 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
The past is full of traps, charms and mirages, but if you just keep up with with what you are doing it will all be fine.

User avatar
azule
Saved
Posts: 2132
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:45 pm UTC
Location: The land of the Golden Puppies and Rainbows

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby azule » Fri May 17, 2013 8:20 pm UTC

So, woah, this Panorama strained my system, or the PNG format, or me. Yeah, definitely me. j/k. Seriously though, I could only get it to display at 100% or more. :?

This should be the whole leg from the last turn to the current river. It is 33133x839 pixels.

Of note, is that the abnormally flat section about rd distance back, is exactly the same elevation as the current river. Exactly.
Maybe that stretch was some kind of shore. Or it was a marsh. I don't know these things.
Attachments
Time_Panorama_3.png
Newpix 1150-1404. Complete path.
Image

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

User avatar
mscha
Posts: 6902
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 pm UTC
Location: NL
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Fri May 17, 2013 8:21 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Well, my standardfootnote will be to use the word "footnote" whenever I want to say thisfootnote.

I think we can include this in the next revision of the STEAFS⁰.

⁰: Standard To Encompass All Footnote Standards
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Image
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:
Image
Image

User avatar
SBN
Saved
Posts: 2232
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:15 pm UTC
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby SBN » Fri May 17, 2013 8:22 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:
Spoiler:
SBN wrote:
mscha wrote:
Dracomax wrote:If so, then you really should stop telling people not to post suggestions, because what right do you have to do so? what makes you superior to the people who post those?

I realize that, and I don't want to do that – the last thing in Time that I want is to continue this discussion – but the problem is, if we just “agree to disagree”, your signature (and others) keeps discouraging Blitzers from posting. That may not be your intention, but it is proven reality.

But now I'll shut up, because you're obviously not going to change your mind. :(

Not entirely sure we've proven reality here, but if you want to counter the apparent discouragment, you're welcome to offer encouragement of your own in your sig, or even through editing a past post. I still say disagreeing is less boring than agreeing, and I've not seen a friendlier place in which to disagree.

Opiboble wrote:I have made it a note to Coma Blitzers and it isn't has bold and harsh. I like Ketchup posts/blasts from the past but I still think people coming back from Coma should be responsible with there blind posts, it doesn't take that long to read 3-5NP and quote discussions properly.

Depends on how fast things are being posted. When I get behind, I start reading, and when I see something I have something to say about, I control-Quote it, and carry on reading, and control-Quoting each thing I have a response to. Then, when I am caught up, I look through the response tabs I have open, make my responses, make them all into one post and submit it. Sometimes, in the time it takes to make my response and submit it, many new posts will have been submitted. I try to account for those in my response, but sometimes it's going to fast and I finally just have to submit while my post retains some coherence.

I'd much rather read your immediate reaction to someone's post than a considered evaluation which included all the other dudes equally considered evaluations. Coherence schmoherence.

I'll see what I can do.

Someone hinted at it, but maybe they don't want to be seen/want to live in the empty place, because they are celebrities.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: GnomeAnne and 37 guests