1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

treadman

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby treadman » Wed May 22, 2013 3:43 pm UTC

Possibly these trees are Ent-like creatures. It does look like this one is looking at Megan and Cueball.

Or perhaps they will start throwing apples. :)

ggh

Postby ggh » Wed May 22, 2013 3:44 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:@fhorn - Not English muffins! Funnily enough I got that pic from a site that explains the difference.

So, what you are saying is that it should be an Egg McCrumpet? Also, all stores in the US have lied to me! They told me on the packaging that I was purchasing English muffins, and now I find out that what I was really purchasing were crumpets! I feel as if my entire breakfast life has been a lie!

Nope, you've probably never had a crumpet. It's a little hard to tell in a picture, but the holes have a very different quality. The easiest way to know what you're eating might be to think about where the top of your yummy food-thing was when it was being made. The top of a crumpet, where you put the butter or jam or whatever, has always been the top of the crumpet. With an English muffin, the place that you're spreading your butter used to be the inside.
mathrec wrote:
ggh wrote:This was for mathrec, but it's not so good - sorry. I thought I could do better but no, not if I'm going to get any coma at all.
Spoiler:
(Please imagine, if you will, that the second half is to the right of the first half.)

drent-fassee, drongd-vassi
markings on baobab trees
blair-witchy-spookiness
brings on the dread.

Stressed over fading sand
borne brisk amoeba angst
Black-whitey poisons Sir
(sigh) *nerd ran to bed*

Very nice. I've been playing with these for the last 20 or so newpix. That is quite a feat to merge the anagram challenge with the double-dactyl. (If anyone doesn't have their jaw on the floor, just try to write two double dactyl lines that have meaning relevant to the forum and are anagrams of each other!)

BRAVO, sir! I'll respond in kind, praising your ability to merge the forms:
*agog* Two? Hot! / A woot to ggh!

Yay - thanks! Now I will coma with a smile on my face!
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed May 22, 2013 3:46 pm UTC

mathrec wrote:
ggh wrote:This was for mathrec, but it's not so good - sorry. I thought I could do better but no, not if I'm going to get any coma at all.
(Please imagine, if you will, that the second half is to the right of the first half.)

markings on baobab trees
blair-witchy-spookiness
brings on the dread.

borne brisk amoeba angst
Black-whitey poisons Sir
(sigh) *nerd ran to bed*

Very nice. I've been playing with these for the last 20 or so newpix. That is quite a feat to merge the anagram challenge with the double-dactyl. (If anyone doesn't have their jaw on the floor, just try to write two double dactyl lines that have meaning relevant to the forum and are anagrams of each other!)

Hell, yes!!! That was incredible for something so incredibly hard to do!!

See fine mag work! / Freaking awesome!!!
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Wed May 22, 2013 3:49 pm UTC

higgs-boson wrote:
  • Formally, it is "Lego", both sing. and plur. LEGO isn't something you can lay your hands on. Or does anyone remember someone saying "I ordered two Microsofts."?

Well, I think that question is moot, because I can't imagine ANYone wanting two Microsofts to begin with. :D
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Wed May 22, 2013 3:50 pm UTC

mathrec wrote:

markings on baobab trees
blair-witchy-spookiness
brings on the dread.

borne brisk amoeba angst
Black-whitey poisons Sir
(sigh) *nerd ran to bed*

:shock:
I had no idea that those were anagrams. What at first appeared to be merely an ok double-dactyl is now revealed as one of the most impressive things I've seen on this needle-pulled-thing. Bravo, ggh!!

thirds

Postby thirds » Wed May 22, 2013 4:00 pm UTC

WeirdONG

Edit: Those weren't berries - they were "blue pills", evidently.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed May 22, 2013 4:03 pm UTC

thirds wrote:WeirdONG

Spoiler:

I hear ya, Megan -- I've wondered that same thing many times over during the long-draw of the OTC...
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Wed May 22, 2013 4:06 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:

Spoiler:

I hear ya, Megan -- I've wondered that same thing many times over during the long-draw of the OTC...

*Glares with intent*
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Wed May 22, 2013 4:11 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

Spoiler:

*Glares with intent*

You'd think after close to 700 posts he would know better than to hint at such heresy

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed May 22, 2013 4:11 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

Spoiler:

*Glares with intent*

Well, I meant in a non-heretical, trusting, and faithful-follower of the OTC kind of way, of course...

And as an aside: can one glare unintentionally?

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Wed May 22, 2013 4:13 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
Dracomax wrote:Aren't plays usually in the form of Character:action, speech? Every play I've ever read has been, anyway.
Depends on the author. Typically, very little action is actually indicated by the author, as it is implied by the speech. Some authors put no stage directions whatsoever into their plays, but others load tons of stage and emotional directions onto the page. IMHO, that is overkill.
[snip]
Jose

Actors love to point out that Shakespeare put no stage directions in his plays.

As an author, I agree with fewer stage directions, I generally like to see how actors interpret my lines and sometimes I'm blown away with what they come up with. Sometimes, however, the only way to indicate the intent of a line is to give a (small) stage direction.

On the other hand, well, one time I wrote a scene for a couple, where the guy was supposed to be a dominating bubble head. At one point I had him stand up in the stage directions (the only stage directions in the scene). The girl actor misread the directions, stood up herself, and took the scene in the opposite direction of what I had intended, thereby ruining the effect.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Wed May 22, 2013 4:17 pm UTC

ttscp wrote:
ucim wrote:
Dracomax wrote:Aren't plays usually in the form of Character:action, speech? Every play I've ever read has been, anyway.
Depends on the author. Typically, very little action is actually indicated by the author, as it is implied by the speech. Some authors put no stage directions whatsoever into their plays, but others load tons of stage and emotional directions onto the page. IMHO, that is overkill.
[snip]
Jose

As an author, I agree with fewer stage directions, I generally like to see how actors interpret my lines and sometimes I'm blown away with what they come up with. Sometimes, however, the only way to indicate the intent of a line is to give a (small) stage direction.

On the other hand, well, one time I wrote a scene for a couple, where the guy was supposed to be a dominating bubble head. At one point I had him stand up in the stage directions (the only stage directions in the scene). The girl actor misread the directions, stood up herself, and took the scene in the opposite direction of what I had intended, thereby ruining the effect.

Well, I can see stage directions being useful when there is an important prop that needs to be dealt with but not necessarily talked about at the time.
My post was less about what needed to be there, and more about the formatting I usually see:
Character Name
Colon
Stage directions in italic, if any.(usually just mentioning who is being talked to)
actual speech.

The important part to the discussion about the story was the Character:Mono/dialogue, which is used to determine who speaks the line.
“have i gone mad?

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Wed May 22, 2013 4:20 pm UTC

Good after Coma everyone : ) How it be going in the OTT this fine newpix?
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Wed May 22, 2013 4:21 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:Good after Coma everyone : ) How it be going in the OTT this fine newpix?

The tree is odd, and has writing on it. Also, it may or not be possible to glare unintentionally.
“have i gone mad?

Platonix

Postby Platonix » Wed May 22, 2013 4:24 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
Opiboble wrote:Good after Coma everyone : ) How it be going in the OTT this fine newpix?

The tree is odd, and has writing on it. Also, it may or not be possible to glare unintentionally.

It is absolutely possible to glare unintentionally. Some people just suck at proper facial expressions.
"I am smiling."
"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Wed May 22, 2013 4:26 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:

Technically, there are markings on the tree that we speculate to be writing.
Voice of the Silent
Owner of the contents of Cueball's head
Lurking Time-Ninja of the Past-Post

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Wed May 22, 2013 4:27 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:
ttscp wrote:I've been playing with Sciscitor's data a little. Here are two graphs plotting all the posts in the thread, new information content (score)23 versus post length. The bottom graph shows all posts. The top graph shows all posts with outliers removed. Vertical axis is length and horizontal axis is score.

NiceNeat. May I suggest using logarithmic scale on one or even two axes for clearity.

Thanks. I was worried I might have stolen your thunder because this analysis is run on your raw data. (Raw data makes it sound as if there was no work involved, but the information content score took a lot of (dare I say it, creative) work. Besides which, we burn the steaks here.)

I'll try a log scale, but I don't think it'll add much (other than compressing the axes), because the data already looks pretty linear (except for the cannon trebuchet scattering as it moves away from the origin.

I ran some correlation coefficients on your graph. For the OTT as a whole the correlation was -0.28. Negative, but nowhere near significant. For March and May (sorry for Outsider units) the correlation was higher (-0.60 and -0.57 respectively) but still not significant. April was a miserable -0.10.

Looking at the graph, it looks as if the correlation might be delayed some newpix. I'll investigate that if I ever get some time away from ketching up in Time.

Edit: clarify meaning of negative correlation
Last edited by ttscp on Wed May 22, 2013 4:34 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Wed May 22, 2013 4:28 pm UTC

TimeLurker wrote:
Dracomax wrote:

Hrrm, she has not said the tree was odd... so it cant be supper yet. darn. She did say the writing thing, but is it good enough to be a supper?
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Wed May 22, 2013 4:29 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:

But is glaring with intent the same as glaring intentionally?

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Wed May 22, 2013 4:31 pm UTC

TimeLurker wrote:
Dracomax wrote:

Well, Cuegan believe the markings have meaning. Most intentional markings which convey meaning are some sort of writing, in a"set of signs or symbols" used to communicate information is writing. Writing is the most likely explanation, given the information we have.
“have i gone mad?

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Wed May 22, 2013 4:32 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
ttscp wrote:
ucim wrote:
[snip]
Jose

Well, I can see stage directions being useful when there is an important prop that needs to be dealt with but not necessarily talked about at the time.
My post was less about what needed to be there, and more about the formatting I usually see:
Character Name
Colon
Stage directions in italic, if any.(usually just mentioning who is being talked to)
actual speech.

The important part to the discussion about the story was the Character:Mono/dialogue, which is used to determine who speaks the line.

I agree that having the character:speech format is helpful. I actually dislike what modern novels do, long sections of dialogue with the speakers indicated only at the beginning. The reader is supposed to figure out who is speaking. I think it is to avoid having to repeat, he said, she said, over and over again, but I'd like some clue in the middle because I get lost.

I wasn't reacting to your comment, actually, I just saw the bit about stage directions and felt moved to respond to that.

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Wed May 22, 2013 4:33 pm UTC

Blitz progress: 546 of 685
Oh, it's a DELTA!, NP 1130

I am now a few more pages behind than my last signpost, but this should be balanced out soon.

Recent happenings:
Have they found a delta? Have they been inside one the whole time? Have they looped back around to the sea? Is this real life?
Lots of centapost celecakebrations
More epoch puns (sorry, I know I suck at these things...)
Apocryphal and canonical frames
Top quotees/quoters, including a really spiffy visualization:
Spoiler:
Sciscitor wrote:
ott1.jpg
Lots of server issues: maybe caused by Slashdot?

Responses to pastposts:

I have come across an intruguing idea:
Spoiler:
ChronosDragon wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:<awesome animation snipped>

Brillilant, ChronosDragon! Maybe YOU could be the one to animate BlitzGirl's fab creation for us.

Humm...I hadn't thought about it like that. Honestly, I'd be honored to, though I'm not sure I could do it justice. First and foremost we'd need clips of all of us singing our lines, so I'd have something to animate to :idea:
I could get behind this.
ggh wrote:Edit 2: (but how will you pronounce the mixed rot13?
I suppose that'll be my job...
ChronosDragon wrote:I'm looking at it (Bboz dr yndn) as "b-boz derr yid-in"
That's about what I was thinking, but getting that to match the "Boom de yada" rhythm would be interesting. Let me get back to you guys on that. This could be fun!

A mention of me! From another Time Traveler, Vytron!
Spoiler:
Vytron wrote:And I'm done in my trek of today!

Page 400/539 - 139 Pages behind.

<snipitty snip snip>

macraw83 catches up to the present!
Wait, what? I'm not in the Present...

That's right, I remember now. I caught up to the Present just long enough to make a few PresentPosts before falling back in Time further than I ever had before... oh well, I will get back there eventually.

EDIT 100 POSTS! Well, 100 posts total, only 95 in the One True Thread though. Guess that doesn't really count, then, does it?
Last edited by macraw83 on Wed May 22, 2013 4:35 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Wed May 22, 2013 4:34 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
TimeLurker wrote:
Dracomax wrote:

Well, Cuegan believe the markings have meaning. Most intentional markings which convey meaning are some sort of writing, in a"set of signs or symbols" used to communicate information is writing. Writing is the most likely explanation, given the information we have.

Most likely correct. I was going to suggest the markings could be molpy claw marks, but that doesn't seem to fit with how they mentioned them. "Markings" vs. "Marks"
Voice of the Silent

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed May 22, 2013 4:36 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:

Hmm.... Well, let's see:

1. Unintentional glare can be a problem with flash photography, but one suggestion on how to reduce it is to use pellon over the flash.

2. Pellon is a batting material that can diffuse light. It is also the last name of the artist Gina Pellon

3. Gina Pellon became famous in France, but was originally from Cuba.

4. Cuba is famous for their Cuban cigars.

5. Cigars were customarily given out at the birth of a baby.

So, it's clear once again that it IS all related, and they ARE having a baby!

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Wed May 22, 2013 4:39 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:

Hmm.... Well, let's see:

1. Unintentional glare can be a problem with flash photography, but one suggestion on how to reduce it is to use pellon over the flash.

2. Pellon is a batting material that can diffuse light. It is also the last name of the artist Gina Pellon

Or, planting a BAOBOB!
“have i gone mad?

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Wed May 22, 2013 4:40 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:So, it's clear once again that it IS all related, and they ARE having a baby!

So Time is analogous to the journey they are taking during the pregnancy and will end after the baby is born, 7-8 [heretic]months[/heretic] from the beginning.
Voice of the Silent

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Wed May 22, 2013 4:40 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:

Hmm.... Well, let's see:

So wait... Doesn't that mean you can remove a glare with a baby?

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed May 22, 2013 4:40 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:

Hmm.... Well, let's see:

Or, planting a BAOBOB!

Possibly. At least a baby one...

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Wed May 22, 2013 4:42 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:

Hmm.... Well, let's see:

Or, planting a BAOBOB!

But can a baby glare with intent while smoking a cigar?(also, you are a terrible person for giving a baby a cigar)
“have i gone mad?

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed May 22, 2013 4:44 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
Spoiler:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:

Hmm.... Well, let's see:

Or, planting a BAOBOB!

But can a baby glare with intent while smoking a cigar?(also, you are a terrible person for giving a baby a cigar)

If you give a baby a cuban cigar, I'm pretty sure a lot of people will intentionally glare at you. And it might even get captured in a glare-free flash photo.

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Wed May 22, 2013 4:48 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
Spoiler:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:

Hmm.... Well, let's see:

Or, planting a BAOBOB!

If you give a baby a cuban cigar, I'm pretty sure a lot of people will intentionally glare at you. And it might even get captured in a glare-free flash photo.

If you give a baby a cuban cigar, it'll probably ask you for a light.
Voice of the Silent

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed May 22, 2013 4:48 pm UTC

jetpac wrote:
Dracomax wrote:

But is glaring with intent the same as glaring intentionally?

Only if your name is Aqualung. Ooops, that was *staring* .
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Wed May 22, 2013 4:50 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
Spoiler:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:

Hmm.... Well, let's see:

Or, planting a BAOBOB!

But what if you just rubbed the baby on the cigar, would that make it glare free?

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed May 22, 2013 4:54 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
Spoiler:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:

Hmm.... Well, let's see:

Or, planting a BAOBOB!

But what if you just rubbed the baby on the cigar, would that make it glare free?

The baby or the cigar?

And is anyone one noticing that if you say "glare" enough, it totally loses all meaning???

glare... glare... guh-lay-er... guh-lah-yee-air...
ghhhh... llll... ahhhh. yeee... errrr....

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Wed May 22, 2013 4:56 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
Spoiler:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:

Hmm.... Well, let's see:

Or, planting a BAOBOB!

The baby or the cigar?

And is anyone one noticing that if you say "glare" enough, it totally loses all meaning???

Well I am sure you would get strange looks, but would taking a photo of the cigar be glare free since it was rubbed with a baby?

eta: glaaaare. glllaaaazze... Wait Glazed babies!

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed May 22, 2013 4:59 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
Spoiler:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:

Hmm.... Well, let's see:

Or, planting a BAOBOB!

The baby or the cigar?

Well I am sure you would get strange looks, but would taking a photo of the cigar be glare free since it was rubbed with a baby?

I'm so sorry... I see your series of sounds, but I've become so saturated in semantic satiation silliness as to become sadly senseless...

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed May 22, 2013 5:00 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:My post was less about what needed to be there, and more about the formatting I usually see:
Character Name
Colon
actual speech.
Quite right, although there are other formatting conventions also in use, such as having the character name centered in all caps, the stage directions indented on both sides and enclosed in parenthesis, and the dialog at full width. This is usually coupled with setting the entire play in an old version of Courier (ick!).

I had considered doing this, but since the forum software already has quote tags, I decided to take advantage of them, despite the fact the character's names are followed by "wrote:"

Opiboble wrote:But what if you just rubbed the baby on the cigar, would that make it glare free?
Did Bill Clinton teach you the facts of life?

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Wed May 22, 2013 5:02 pm UTC

YESCUEBONG
That makes complete sense.

Hmm... maybe it's a suntree?
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

astrocub

Postby astrocub » Wed May 22, 2013 5:07 pm UTC

WAHT?!?

Edit: Is the tree9,10 big2 enough that it can do what it wants, just like the 2sea?

9pretty big
10knows what it's doing
Last edited by astrocub on Wed May 22, 2013 5:17 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed May 22, 2013 5:09 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
Opiboble wrote:But what if you just rubbed the baby on the cigar, would that make it glare free?
Did Bill Clinton teach you the facts of life?

No, no -- we were talking about using the cigar intentionally, not using it intern-ally...

:wink:

EDIT to add: Hey! Wow -- 700th post!!! And at the top of the NewPage! This calls for a celebration!

Last edited by StratPlayer on Wed May 22, 2013 5:25 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”