1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Ace

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Ace » Thu May 23, 2013 1:32 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:Okay and by popular demand here it is: The BlitzGirl number: http://xkcd-time.kieryn.com/Default/Credits

I have a BlitzGirl number of 2, and on investigating the link, I discover my first post was tossed forward - I never even noticed. I am bad at ketchup. (To be fair, Ace is not a username I'd used before, so it didn't ring any bells.)

pelrigg wrote:All this talk of Bacon Numbers (and googling for them)... hey... what's this in my backpack here?? Oh, why it's
The Oracle of Bacon from http://oracleofbacon.org/help.php. On the "How It Works" page is the link "Find the link from Actor A to Actor B."
There are options available (sorry, no stage plays)

Using options, I can get an uncle's pseudo-Bacon number from 3 to 2. He was an uncredited extra in Gallipoli, and Mel Gibson was at an awards ceremony/in a documentary with Kevin Bacon. Only shortens the chain if I check either of those two options.

Means nothing really to me, as we've not been in so much as a home movie together, but still, 2 is a good number for him to not quite have. (Shame he wasn't credited.)

Caught up, huzzah.
Wait for it.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Thu May 23, 2013 1:36 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:He does like potatoes, just in the form of French Fries (which are not as good as Flemish fries IMHO. Preferably with mayo that's a bit sour, no salt and a bit of white pepper. That just tastes awesome. We need more places that sell that, even the ones who make decent Flemish fries don't know there should be white pepper on it instead of salt. Hmm, I am getting hungry now.1

1)

Fries... to get The Best Fries Evarrrr, drop by the waterfront in Portland, ME and grab a bag of fries at Duck Fat. I dream about them.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu May 23, 2013 1:38 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:It occurs to me that if this is Madagascar, we should see some molpy-lemurs before the OTC ends.

I'm sure someone will ENHANCE! the Tree Molpy I posted earlier... Might turn out to be a Lemolpy.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu May 23, 2013 1:41 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Dracomax wrote:It occurs to me that if this is Madagascar, we should see some molpy-lemurs before the OTC ends.

I'm sure someone will ENHANCE! the Tree Molpy I posted earlier... Might turn out to be a Lemolpy.

Well, I rotated 180° and then enhanced a couple of times, but no lemurs...

All I see is this:
Spoiler:
. :shock:

My enhance skills must be a failure...
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu May 23, 2013 1:43 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:Ongkety gongkety
posted by newpixbot
'cause it is quiet and
    nobody posts.
Must be the weekend, when
even our BlitzGirl is
extendedcomaing
    here only ghosts.

I was actually stuck in I-5 northbound traffic around Seattle when this was written, so comaing would probably have been a bad idea...

Ongkety gongkety
posted by newpixbot
'cause it is quiet and
    nobody posts.
Must be the weekend, when
even our BlitzGirl in
I5-North-traffic-jam
    here only ghosts.

FTFM.
BlitzGirl wrote:I can't believe I missed all of the molpity double-dactyl-ing! :(

It's not too late! Your contributions are eagerly awaited.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

thirds

Postby thirds » Thu May 23, 2013 1:46 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Molpy Monitor update...

First, a completed animation of the Molpyfly mating dance of the previous scene:

Their last frame is a "sad face".

mscha wrote:And on this scene, there's a Molpy (or Molpyraptor? Squirpy?) in the tree!
Also, is there some kind of plateau in the top of this tree?
And has someone identified the species of tree yet? This one is definitely not as recognizable as a Baobab. (I'd identify it as “generic tree”...)

Looks kind of upright, like a squirlemur.

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu May 23, 2013 2:00 pm UTC

@ergman: Absolutely awesome sestina! I wanted to write this post of celebration as a sestina, but decided that Time would have moved on by the time I finished, and I wanted to kudo you bigtime.

I had looked at the example sestinas on the web, and frankly was not impressed at all. They seemed dry and dead to me, and I dismissed the entire form as being... well, never mind. You breathed true life into it. In honor of this awesomeness, I, as the Pope of the Order of the Holy Contradiction, do confer upon you the title and rank of Minstrel, that for all Time and for all of time the power and beauty of your words be spread throughout the land.

Maybe I'll write a siesta1 later in commemoration.

Jose
1Wait for it.
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

foilman

Postby foilman » Thu May 23, 2013 2:00 pm UTC

PlONG.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu May 23, 2013 2:04 pm UTC

thirds wrote:
Spoiler:

First, a completed animation of the Molpyfly mating dance of the previous scene:

mscha wrote:And on this scene, there's a Molpy (or Molpyraptor? Squirpy?) in the tree!
And has someone identified the species of tree yet? This one is definitely not as recognizable as a Baobab. (I'd identify it as “generic tree”...)

I concur the mur. Though more likely a molpymur.
Spoiler:
Probably has fur
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu May 23, 2013 2:17 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
thirds wrote:
Spoiler:

I concur the mur. Though more likely a molpymur.
Spoiler:
Probably has fur

and this inspired me to filk a song badly...
Spoiler:
To the tune of "Marezy Doats"
Molpymur and squirrelemur
and little Molpies divey
A cuebally he'd divey too
wouldn't you?

If the words sound queer and funny to your ear,
A little bit jumbled and jivey,
Sing "molp lemure and Squirrel lemur
And little Molpies dive E."

Oh, Molpymur and squirrelemur
and little Molpies divey
wouldn't you?

Molpymur and squirrelemur
and little Molpies divey
wouldn't you?
“have i gone mad?

DrSamCarter

Postby DrSamCarter » Thu May 23, 2013 2:20 pm UTC

I just watched all of "Time" to date at geekwagon, having not done so for many many icositetranewpix. I was a little surprised to realise that the sandcastle period is still over half of the "story so far". The fading seems such a long time ago, yet the start of Time not much beyond that.

Clearly I am temporally befuddled.

Time to coma.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu May 23, 2013 2:23 pm UTC

DrSamCarter wrote:I just watched all of "Time" to date at geekwagon, having not done so for many many icositetranewpix. I was a little surprised to realise that the sandcastle period is still over half of the "story so far". The fading seems such a long time ago, yet the start of Time not much beyond that.

Time to coma.

Remember though, for much, if not most of the sandcastle period, the Timeframes came faster than they do now.
“have i gone mad?

ggh

Postby ggh » Thu May 23, 2013 2:24 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:

I believe we have already seen spoonbills.
Spoiler:

And if the little tails-in-the-air molpies weren't those mousey-things, maybe they're http://www.arkive.org/long-tailed-ground-roller/uratelornis-chimaera/

I wish I knew what kind of trees these are - they look the same to me: http://www.unitedtravel.co.nz/TourDestination/156/madagascar
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu May 23, 2013 2:33 pm UTC

@Everyone: "BlitzGirl numbers," and an important reminder.
Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:
astrocub wrote:
Platonix wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
Platonix wrote:
Kieryn wrote:Quick note on the BG number: If you are never quoted by BG either directly or in a chain, you simply do not have a BG number. If you are directly quoted, your BG is 1. A high BG number means you get quoted down a long chain, which ultimately gets quoted by BG. A high BG number is therefore the rarer case and could be thought of as more prestigious. (Edit: Well done lmjb1964!)

Also the BG numbers are linked to the posts detected at the top of the chain... following the chain down to find the BG post can be a fun challenge due to the branching quote chains, especially for the higher BG numbers.

...so...you're saying me being quoted by, say, mscha, doesn't give me a BG number of 2 because BG has directly quoted mscha at least once? The only way to have a BG number of 2 is for BG to quote someone who - in that post - was quoting me?

Hm. That adds an interesting dimension.

Yeah, that's the definition I was using. I could maybe do the other definition another time. More people would have a BG number by this other definition, but it would be more homogenous. I guess it would be more analogous to a Kevin Bacon number though.

Actually, just had a silly thought...with BG numbers defined this way, it becomes possible to try to "collect them all". Like, maybe there exist different quote trees that could give the same person BG numbers of 1 through 5.

Am I overthinking this? Suddenly SBN's sig springs to mind...

Ooh, I really like the idea of collecting numbers under the current definition. It doesn't seem like it would be much more difficult to implement.

Edit: Satan's Sole Sombrero Suppressor. I would like to see moar comics.

Actually I guess the way I'm compiling the data (BG numbers for posts before doing the user minimum) this would be pretty easy to do. Ok fine... something for tomorrow. I'm feeling badges might be called for.

This would be an interesting power given to BlitzGirl if when she returns...

i don't mean to be rude, but I think we need to stop a moment and ask ourselves: What is this thread about? Inflating our egoes by comparing which one of us can provoke a certain user into responding to our posts the most, or discussing an internet comic that just so happens to change once every hour? Because I'm pretty sure it's not the first one.
We're making the posts themselves more important than the information they contain. That's a good way to get a thread locked and users banned.
I am also somewhat perturbed by the fact that we seem to be making one user more important than all the others. No user should get any special level of attention or priveleges, moderators, webninjas, and others who have been trusted with controlling the forums excepted. A user's first post can be just as insightful as a user's thousandth post. Sometimes less, sometimes more. No non-admin/webmaster user is inherently better than any other.
I'm just a person sitting in front of a screen. So is BlitzGirl, Valarya, tman2nd, Kieryn, Red Hal, Vytron, Opibobble, jetpac, KarMann, Exodies, Tometheus, Selcouth, Ace, davidy, EternalDensity, and everyone else who's ever lurked and posted on this forum (don't worry, I care about you guys too, I just don't feel like listing all of this forum's users). None of us should be treated differently than any other.

And the rest of my kvetchup:
@tman2nd, and people who hate spoilers:
Spoiler:
tman2nd wrote:Spoiler Report.
Sano wrote:[img]http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/time.png[/img ]

Page 162.

I appreciate highly tman2nd's efforts to locate accidental spoilers. Once he finishes his delve into the past (it's not really a blitz, more of an archaeological expedition), we should compile a list of all the spoilers he's found, contact the accidental offenders to see if they will replace their image with the proper hashed frame, and mark those that aren't replaced (i.e. the user doesn't respond or is a total doody head).
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu May 23, 2013 2:43 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:@Everyone: "BlitzGirl numbers," and an important reminder.
Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:
astrocub wrote:
Platonix wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
Platonix wrote:
Kieryn wrote:Quick note on the BG number: If you are never quoted by BG either directly or in a chain, you simply do not have a BG number. If you are directly quoted, your BG is 1. A high BG number means you get quoted down a long chain, which ultimately gets quoted by BG. A high BG number is therefore the rarer case and could be thought of as more prestigious. (Edit: Well done lmjb1964!)

Also the BG numbers are linked to the posts detected at the top of the chain... following the chain down to find the BG post can be a fun challenge due to the branching quote chains, especially for the higher BG numbers.

...so...you're saying me being quoted by, say, mscha, doesn't give me a BG number of 2 because BG has directly quoted mscha at least once? The only way to have a BG number of 2 is for BG to quote someone who - in that post - was quoting me?

Hm. That adds an interesting dimension.

Yeah, that's the definition I was using. I could maybe do the other definition another time. More people would have a BG number by this other definition, but it would be more homogenous. I guess it would be more analogous to a Kevin Bacon number though.

Actually, just had a silly thought...with BG numbers defined this way, it becomes possible to try to "collect them all". Like, maybe there exist different quote trees that could give the same person BG numbers of 1 through 5.

Am I overthinking this? Suddenly SBN's sig springs to mind...

Ooh, I really like the idea of collecting numbers under the current definition. It doesn't seem like it would be much more difficult to implement.

Edit: Satan's Sole Sombrero Suppressor. I would like to see moar comics.

Actually I guess the way I'm compiling the data (BG numbers for posts before doing the user minimum) this would be pretty easy to do. Ok fine... something for tomorrow. I'm feeling badges might be called for.

This would be an interesting power given to BlitzGirl if when she returns...

i don't mean to be rude, but I think we need to stop a moment and ask ourselves: What is this thread about? Inflating our egoes by comparing which one of us can provoke a certain user into responding to our posts the most, or discussing an internet comic that just so happens to change once every hour? Because I'm pretty sure it's not the first one.
We're making the posts themselves more important than the information they contain. That's a good way to get a thread locked and users banned.
I am also somewhat perturbed by the fact that we seem to be making one user more important than all the others. No user should get any special level of attention or priveleges, moderators, webninjas, and others who have been trusted with controlling the forums excepted. A user's first post can be just as insightful as a user's thousandth post. Sometimes less, sometimes more. No non-admin/webmaster user is inherently better than any other.
I'm just a person sitting in front of a screen. So is BlitzGirl, Valarya, tman2nd, Kieryn, Red Hal, Vytron, Opibobble, jetpac, KarMann, Exodies, Tometheus, Selcouth, Ace, davidy, EternalDensity, and everyone else who's ever lurked and posted on this forum (don't worry, I care about you guys too, I just don't feel like listing all of this forum's users). None of us should be treated differently than any other.

This deserves a pound of skittles.
It's a joke, and one that I inadvertently helped start, but we need to be careful, as this is dangerous, and potentially heretical ground we tread.
“have i gone mad?

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu May 23, 2013 2:49 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:i don't mean to be rude, but I think we need to stop a moment and ask ourselves: What is this thread about? Inflating our egoes by comparing which one of us can provoke a certain user into responding to our posts the most, or discussing an internet comic that just so happens to change once every hour? Because I'm pretty sure it's not the first one.

Words of wisdom. I was starting to feel like this was going a little off-track. It was a fun exercise at first and something meant to be taken lightly, but I think with this reflection it makes sense not to do any further work in this direction. One positive benefit it has had though is helping provide me with examples where my quote-matching algorithm is messing up. I will now return to more creative projects.
Image- Kieryn

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Thu May 23, 2013 2:55 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:...This would be an interesting power given to BlitzGirl if when she returns...

i don't mean to be rude, but I think we need to stop a moment and ask ourselves: What is this thread about?
...I'm just a person sitting in front of a screen. So is BlitzGirl, Valarya, tman2nd, Kieryn, Red Hal, Vytron, Opibobble, jetpac, KarMann, Exodies, Tometheus, Selcouth, Ace, davidy, EternalDensity, and everyone else who's ever lurked and posted on this forum (don't worry, I care about you guys too, I just don't feel like listing all of this forum's users). None of us should be treated differently than any other.

I tend to agree with Hal for the most part. I have been impressed by BlitzGirl's wit, wisdom, creativity and even-handed community building. And I could say the same about many others in this thread. I hope I have taken the opportunity to do so as I've been posting, but I'm sure I've come up short. But the BlitzGirl numbers are heading down a blind alley.

I like the thread analysis. It's a way for us to look in the mirror and see the fabric of the community. But the fabric is definitely a web, not a tree, although it's definitely neat ;-)
Last edited by mathrec on Thu May 23, 2013 2:57 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
The end is always near.
Lord Randall wrote:Wait for it.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu May 23, 2013 2:57 pm UTC

Spoiler:
mathrec wrote:
Kieryn wrote:...This would be an interesting power given to BlitzGirl if when she returns...

i don't mean to be rude, but I think we need to stop a moment and ask ourselves: What is this thread about?
...I'm just a person sitting in front of a screen. So is BlitzGirl, Valarya, tman2nd, Kieryn, Red Hal, Vytron, Opibobble, jetpac, KarMann, Exodies, Tometheus, Selcouth, Ace, davidy, EternalDensity, and everyone else who's ever lurked and posted on this forum (don't worry, I care about you guys too, I just don't feel like listing all of this forum's users). None of us should be treated differently than any other.

I tend to agree with Hal for the most part. I have been impressed by BlitzGirl's wit, wisdom, creativity and even-handed community building. And I could say the same about many others in this thread. I hope I have taken the opportunity to do so as I've been posting, but I'm sure I've come up short. But the BlitzGirl numbers are heading down a blind alley.

I like the thread analysis. It's a way for us to look in the mirror and see the fabric of the community. But the fabric is definitely a web, not a tree, although it's definitely neat ;-)

I thought it looked more like a constellation--which has the added benefit of making us all stars. 8-)
“have i gone mad?

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu May 23, 2013 2:57 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
DrSamCarter wrote:I just watched all of "Time" to date at geekwagon, having not done so for many many icositetranewpix. I was a little surprised to realise that the sandcastle period is still over half of the "story so far". The fading seems such a long time ago, yet the start of Time not much beyond that.
Time to coma.

Remember though, for much, if not most of the sandcastle period, the Timeframes came faster than they do now.

Even that is not quite true...
The Sandcastle period lasted 5 tetracontioctapix (Outside slow days, where an Outside hour lasted two newpix) plus about 30½ icositetranewpix (Outside fast days, where an Outside hour lasts one newpix). (The Fade took almost four of these icositetranewpix.)
Chapter two (the Quest Period?) lasts about 24 icositetranewpix, so far.
Last edited by mscha on Thu May 23, 2013 2:58 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Thu May 23, 2013 2:58 pm UTC

ergman wrote:Alright. I did a Sestina. It wasn't easy, but damn if if was fun. I went for the 11 syllables per line rule as well, though apparently that isn't mandatory. Suffice to say I did a lot of counting on my fingers:
Spoiler:
In Time we heed certain creeds: the sea is big
Revealed by our prophets: the river is small
Cuegan's brief rare dialogues: the tree is neat
Recorded, hid in footnotes: the fire is old
Mystic exposition: empty, beautiful
And of course lord Randall's own words: wait for it

When I first stumbled all alone into It
A panel as per thrice a week, nothing big
Two folk on a beach, so zen and beautiful
Left it alone thinking it something small
Returned later and saw not panel of old
An oh so slow changing image, I thought 'Neat'

Curious about the rules of all things neat
I wiki'd and found a religion 'bout it
In needle pulled form, 400 pages old
I feared to blitz, for time was scarce, pages big
I joined in, threw in my voice, though it is small
I could not bypass something so beautiful

I Learned the terms, the mad tongue so beautiful
I met the folk so kind, funny and neat
Hunted for the molpy, secretive and small
The varied creation pile, I fed some to it
Speculated heresy, theories big
For food I gave sorbet to replace the old

If time ended I could not go back to the old
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful
I can't undrink from the salty sea so big
I forever shall regard the trees as neat
There's double meaning when I say wait for it
The man I was pre-OTT was someone small

Outside now throws my way many matters small
Narnia style, will I one day grow too old?
Ok, that worry's senseless, do it ignore it
Have faith that OTC's forever beautiful
Believe in GLR, science-god so neat
He knows what he's doing like the trees so big

~It needs small words , sestina the beautiful
I'm a whole six stanzas old, and its still neat
Though I'm tired of it's 39 lines; so big~

Well, there you have it. Very melodramatic, as many poems are. Coma time for me now. Have fun

Bravo! I kind of groaned when jjjdavidson proposed it. I read much of the Wikipedia article and decided...oh just torture. But I have to admit that you did a great job of weaving different contexts out of your six words, and you captured a wonderful slice of the OTT experience.

Thank you.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
The end is always near.
Lord Randall wrote:Wait for it.

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Thu May 23, 2013 3:00 pm UTC

yOuNG:

foilman

Postby foilman » Thu May 23, 2013 3:02 pm UTC

Ooh, what's that on the far side of the frame? A raptor tail?

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu May 23, 2013 3:05 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
Spoiler:
mathrec wrote:

I thought it looked more like a constellation--which has the added benefit of making us all stars. 8-)

The quote-web posted a while ago by someone (probably Sciscitor, maybe Kieryn, could have been someone else) was really, really cool, as was Kieryn's quote-circle. Would it be much effort to update either of those? I think they only go up to the early/mid-500 NP.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Someguy945

Postby Someguy945 » Thu May 23, 2013 3:08 pm UTC

foilman wrote:Ooh, what's that on the far side of the frame? A raptor tail?

Could it be a troll? Or maybe, a troll?

Not sure what made me think of that. Anyway, whatever it is, it doesn't look natural.

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu May 23, 2013 3:09 pm UTC

Just stumbled upon this.
(I almost feel sorry for these Outsiders... if they weren't such (apparent) idiots.)

Also...
Maybe Time is about the swine flu reaching Madagascar.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu May 23, 2013 3:17 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
Spoiler:
mathrec wrote:

The quote-web posted a while ago by someone (probably Sciscitor, maybe Kieryn, could have been someone else) was really, really cool, as was Kieryn's quote-circle. Would it be much effort to update either of those? I think they only go up to the early/mid-500 NP.

Sciscitor has done more work here than me, at least on the visualizations. I have a ton of up-to-date data, but it needs to be put into pictures. Both mathrec and myself have some really cool ideas and it's just going to be a matter of time to put all this together.

@mathrec -- sorry did not reply to your PM yet, but I love your idea. I think we need to combine all of our efforts... I will write up my ideas tonight and we'll see what we can come up with.
Image- Kieryn

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu May 23, 2013 3:20 pm UTC

Flotter wrote:yOuNG:

I think it's an incoming projectile. It will miss, but cause some concern amongst the Cuegans.
Image- Kieryn

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu May 23, 2013 3:23 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:Okay and by popular demand here it is: The BlitzGirl number: http://xkcd-time.kieryn.com/Default/Credits

Awesome work!

Although, actually, I'm not surprised at all to see that I have a low BlitzGirl number of 1. I mean, she and I have a pretty close relationship:

1. Besides her presence in the OTT, BlitzGirl also has a blog called "Crash Landing".

2. "Crash Landing" is also the name of a forgotten B movie from 1958 written by Fred Freiberger.

3. Fred Freiberger also co-wrote the screenplay for the 1953 schlock monster movie "The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms". In that film, the monster, named a "rhedosaurus", is finally killed at Coney Island when a radioactive isotope is shot into its neck.

4. Inserting radioactive isotopes into the neck has also been done to treat neck and head cancer, and was discussed in a 1966 JAMA paper by Dr. Irving M. Ariel, MD.

5. "Ariel" is also the name of the Sprite who serves Prospero in William Shakespeare's play, "The Tempest".

6. "The Tempest" is also the basis of the story in the 1956 movie, "Forbidden Planet".

7. "Forbidden Planet" features Leslie Nielsen in the role of Commander J.J. Adams.

8. Leslie Nielsen, best known for his roles in "Airplane!" and "The Naked Gun" series, was born February 11, 1926 in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada.

9. Regina is the home of the Canadian Football League team, the Saskatchewan Roughriders, who, after eight earlier losing attempts dating back to 1923, won their first Grey Cup championship in 1966.

10. 1966 was also the year that the band Cream released their first album, "Fresh Cream".

11. Cream was a trio consisting of drummer Ginger Baker, bassist Jack Bruce, and guitarist Eric Clapton.

12. Although Eric Clapton mainly played Gibson guitars while in Cream, he is primarily known for playing the Fender Stratocaster, which he switched to in 1969.

13. The Stratocaster is the guitar used in both my avatar and username.

See? BlitzGirl and I are practically brother and sister...
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Thu May 23, 2013 3:24 pm UTC

Group poem! Given the current plot line of the OTC, maybe we should call this "Jabber-walky"?

'Twas midday, and the molpymurs
    Did dig and tunnel in the ground
    All flighty were the raptorbirds,
    And the beesnakes did abound.
Next verse?
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu May 23, 2013 3:25 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Just stumbled upon this.
(I almost feel sorry for these Outsiders... if they weren't such (apparent) idiots.)

Well that's one of the most aggravating things I've read for a long time.
also if they think xkcd sucks why are they still reading it
EDIT for spelling.
Last edited by HAL9000 on Thu May 23, 2013 3:30 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Someguy945

Postby Someguy945 » Thu May 23, 2013 3:26 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
mscha wrote:Just stumbled upon this.

Well that's one of the mosr aggravating things I've read for a long time.
also if they think xkcd sucks why are they still reading it

As mentioned in the comments on that page, "This site is homage in disguise. Don't tell anyone."

edfel

Postby edfel » Thu May 23, 2013 3:34 pm UTC

Doesn't it look like it's human made?
Maybe some sort of roasting stick?
I predict encounter with other humans in 15np :)
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Thu May 23, 2013 3:34 pm UTC

Some beesnake cupcake toppers for you, good ser. <3

Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu May 23, 2013 3:38 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
Spoiler:

yey <3
I've received a surprisingly positive reaction to my rant/warning. I'm glad that we're all aware of what we're doing.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu May 23, 2013 3:39 pm UTC

Spoiler:
HAL9000 wrote:
Valarya wrote:

yey <3
I've received a surprisingly positive reaction to my rant/warning. I'm glad that we're all aware of what we're doing.

All things considered, we are a fairly self aware bunch.
“have i gone mad?

partingLance

Postby partingLance » Thu May 23, 2013 3:41 pm UTC

BlitzPost: NP 620 of 693. Damn. This is what happens if one will spend one's daysicositetranewpices1 working.

@Vytron, re: discouraging words:

Spoiler:
Vytron wrote:I can't take it anymore! Just read The Second Controversy Of What People Should Be Posting and it was greatly disheartening to read that about half the thread got sick of blitzers like, 9 days ago (so the news that it's old are already old!), they skip the "epigones", they hate the reports of blitzers on blitzers, and think the thread should be about the OTC and not this bad recursion.

It hurt in the stomach to have that realization, I had already gotten a few vibes of it, but reading about it all in one sitting is a real mood-killer. They want us to spoiler the whole thing so they can skip it faster!

I know the other half of people enjoy reading about the progress and appreciate the richness of the thread, but this awareness of it just makes it impossible to continue (the thing I dislike the most is causing drama; the biggest drama in the thread was about blitzers). So this is my last SignPost. I don't want to feel like this anymore.

Many thanks to mscha, ucim, descor, BlitzGirl, Valarya, StratPlayer, jjjdavidson, azule, tman2nd, Swein, all the people that had sigcouragement or communicated with me at some point, and all the people that I'm forgetting to mention (I love you all!) but have made my Quest so worth it!

I will continue to ketchup to the present, though now, silently, and will eagerly wait for the SignPosts of other blitzers like VoronX and TheMinim and other travelers (hopefully they have a thicker skin than me!), which really, are the meat and potatoes of this thread to me, Cueball and Megan can keep looking at the river forever...

<- Will now continue reporting my progress in the Location bar... Oh wait, it's this way -> or not...

See you in the present!

Playing the fogey card again, I can't remember a thread this long without a flamewar -- such is the vibe around here that whenever anyone temporarily succumbs to a fit of pique, they seem to regret it immediately, and retract whatever they said. Such was my impression on this blitz-post business2.

Which is as much as to say: try not to be downhearted, Vytron, and keep up with the signposts! And thanks for the sigcouragement -- back atcha!

1 Yeah, I know -- call me traditionalist, or something; though I'll cop to being pendantic, if you prefer.
2 Cite? You wanna cite? Ha! I don't need no steenking cite...
StratPlayer wrote:And at this very moment, someone on the Isle of Wight named Bungalo Bill is listening to the 'splat' made from using their family album to squash a beetle, that had ran, helter-skelter, straight for the wild honey pie made by his dear wife Prudence...

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu May 23, 2013 3:42 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
Spoiler:
I think it's an incoming projectile. It will miss, but cause some concern amongst the Cuegans.

It's ... a Knight Temporal!
Spoiler:
(A very small one.)
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu May 23, 2013 3:44 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
Spoiler:

It's ... a Knight Temporal!
Spoiler:

(A very small one.)

This is wonderful. Into the manips folder it goes!

edfel

Postby edfel » Thu May 23, 2013 3:46 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
Spoiler:
HAL9000 wrote:
Valarya wrote:

yey <3

All things considered, we are a fairly self aware bunch.

Yep, and now we're aware that we're fairly self aware... great:)

By the way, since we're all bots here (it was the conclusion some hectoNP ago right?), maybe the few humans here should check this up http://www.wired.com/underwire/2011/04/ ... elf-aware/
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu May 23, 2013 3:49 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
Valarya wrote:
Spoiler:

yey <3

Well, as rants go, it is one of the better ones I've read. And I do agree -- EVERY poster counts in the OTT, as does every post. A higher number of posts does not make for more importance any more than higher volume makes for better conversation.

I for one, think of a "BlitzGirl number" as just another silly and passing OTT thing, no more relevant or important than who was made a pope or a cardinal of the religions of the NewPages of yore. Simply something fun to mess around with before we all go off on to another wacky tangent. Hopefully I expressed that level of amused non-serious frivolity in my recent "connections to BlitzGirl" post -- for that was surely my intent.

I would hope that everyone else agrees, and no-one is using it, or any other arbitrary metric, to try and segregate the OTT into groups of "usses" and "themses". The OTT would greatly suffer by any hint of that.
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”