1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

TimeLurker

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby TimeLurker » Tue May 28, 2013 6:52 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:
TimeLurker wrote:
TheMinim wrote:
Kieryn wrote:Maybe there is a rain god in our midst?

We can only hope... which ever way we hope...

No no no, we can only Wait for It.
edit: Wow, top of the page. I feel special. :D

You're one of about 700. :D
(And maybe I was being a little heretical there...)

I forgive you. I'm not sure if I have the authority to do such, but I'm sure it's the thought that counts.
Voice of the Silent
Owner of the contents of Cueball's head
Lurking Time-Ninja of the Past-Post

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Tue May 28, 2013 6:54 pm UTC

TimeLurker wrote:
TheMinim wrote:
TimeLurker wrote:
TheMinim wrote:

No no no, we can only Wait for It.
edit: Wow, top of the page. I feel special. :D

You're one of about 700. :D
(And maybe I was being a little heretical there...)

I forgive you. I'm not sure if I have the authority to do such, but I'm sure it's the thought that counts.

I thought it was cake that counted? :lol:
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Tue May 28, 2013 6:56 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
partingLance wrote:
Spoiler:
Shanman wrote:
ergman wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
TheMinim wrote:Ooh, how I envy Megball. :)

It's not raining where they are!

After last year in the US, I'm not looking a gift rain in the mouth.

Then it appears there are at least three of us in a rainy place today.

It's rainy where I am also! From this large, four person sample, I determine that there is rain all over the earth, and also
Some on mars.
And I might not have earned this rain, but I did earn skittles
*munches to the tune of Cream Tangerine*

Rain here as well - that's 5!

Make it six. Which takes it beyond coincidence, conspiracy, movement, trend, into... what? General tendency? Epiphenomenon? Second Flood in the making?

Spoiler:

Okay... things just got creepy. It was perfectly sunny and beautiful here, and was forecast to be that way all day. Then, as soon as I started reading about it raining for all of you on here... all of the sudden it just started sprinkling!
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue May 28, 2013 6:56 pm UTC

mathrec wrote:I'm concedONG...
Spoiler:

...she picked it up.

You guys are amazingly observant. I had to go back and forth on aubronwood before I was able to see how you knew she picked it up. Nicely done.
Exodies wrote:The Ugg brand (California branch) is my Best Friend in the whole world on Facebook and I'm deeply offended that you find their fans silly.
Spoiler:
my point is: being offended is a property of the injured party and not the responsibility of the offensive party. I don't think one can guard against trampling on other's peccadilloes. The best you can hope to achieve is non violent communication, dear Bug.

Yep, after I posted my comment about it being silly, I realized someone might come back and say I was being rude. I was hoping it would go unnoticed, but you had to bring it up. Thbbbt. I've edited to make it less offensive to California Ugg wearers. : ) It's not always true that offending someone is not the responsibility of the offensive party, but it certainly was in this case. I totally over-reacted. I seem to be overly sensitive lately. I think I need a vacation.
BlitzGirl wrote:I just had a little browsing adventure, ala OtherComic 214.
Spoiler:
I went to look for fruit/nut trees of Madagascar.
I thought persimmon trees sounded interesting, so I checked to see where in Madagascar they might grow.
Wikipedia told me, "Madagascar lowland forests." I thought, "I have no clue where those are." I looked for a map.
First I found this topographical map, which helped me figure out where the mountains were.
Then I found a more helpful land cover map. I looked at the key. "Seasonally flooded?"
I googled "Madagascar coastal flooding" and got a lot of hits about cyclones, including news stories from earlier this yip.
Hopped back over to wikipedia, which said, Regular cyclones cause flooding in low lying coastal regions.
Alright, wikipedia'd tropical cyclones. Read: storm surges can produce extensive coastal flooding up to 40 kilometresH from the coastline.
"Hmm," I thought. "I don't remember seeing speculation about a storm surge causing Sea rise on my Quest." Read the article on storm surge.
Found an interesting PDF by the U.S. National Weather Service about storm surges, and it mentioned that freshwater input can contribute to water rise, too:
Heavy rainfall ahead of a hurricane can cause river levels to rise well inland from the coast. Once all this water flows downriver and reaches the coast, local water levels especially near deltas and in bays will rise.
Long story short, I thought of the rising Sea1 in the Sandcastle Era, and wanted to toss some of this storm-makes-Sea-level-rise into the theory pile (as I was not Present to do so back then). I know storm activity was touched upon, but I don't remember anything about cyclones or storm tides or freshwater input (which would definitely affect the taste of the Sea, as noted by Cueball). The validity is questionable, as we have yet to see any weather-related phenomena in the OTC apart from the rise in semencoffeecancerbabiesonice, or even waves, but I'm kind of interested to see what a storm would look like in Time.

BlitzGirl, nice job with the research! The complete lack of observable weather is problematic. There was discussion of freshwater input in the past, but I'm guessing this has come up again in the next couple of pages.
mikro2nd wrote:@nerdsniped - excellent wock!
nerdsniped wrote: cheating the trees (it wasn't a baobab that they rested under), etc...

"So rested she by the Acacia Tree,..."?

"So rested she by the unnamed tree"?

kenmelken on his prime Time animation:
kenmelken wrote:
Spoiler:
HAL9000 wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:(I did like that "The River is Small. The Sea is Big." frame made it!)

As do I. I think that's really the most influential single frame on the vernacular of this thread, as it eventually led to the introduction of the footnote system2.

I agree as well. :) And one other observation I might add that I discovered while compiling the prime panels to begin with: it gave me a great appreciation for each frame we got to keep by looking at it that way, and yet also a deep longing for each frame left behind. To me, it in that way kind of reinforced what this comic really seems to say to me altogether: that each moment in time is worth considering and savoring like we do here on the thread. The apropos nature of Randall's title for our beloved 1190 is that Time (the comic), just like Time on the Outside, must be experienced only moment at a time. There is no ability to skip ahead or to go back via the medium he has initially presented us. Obviously we've made wikis and threads and pages that record the frames and even dissect them, like a scrapbook of our life's past, but once the frame passes through Randall's little window on the original site, it will never be there again. Time marches on, constant and unchanging. Be glad for each moment in Time (comic and otherwise) you are given, and be glad you aren't limited to just the prime numbered pieces.

kenmelken, both your animation and your interpretation of it are wonderful. Thank you!

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Tue May 28, 2013 6:57 pm UTC

kenmelken wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
partingLance wrote:
Spoiler:
Shanman wrote:
ergman wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Dracomax wrote:

It's rainy where I am also! From this large, four person sample, I determine that there is rain all over the earth, and also
Some on mars.

Make it six. Which takes it beyond coincidence, conspiracy, movement, trend, into... what? General tendency? Epiphenomenon? Second Flood in the making?

Spoiler:

Okay... things just got creepy. It was perfectly sunny and beautiful here, and was forecast to be that way all day. Then, as soon as I started reading about it raining for all of you on here... all of the sudden it just started sprinkling!

It's because we're magic and totally able to find you. :P
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue May 28, 2013 6:58 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:Stop Chasing me! I am NOT a molpy! I am not tiny! I'm just farther away!
Spoiler:

And obviously, Dracomax is no molpy, but more of the raptor classification. He has wings and everything!

LankieBlonde wrote:Hi!!!
Due to ADOS, I have been very distracted from the forum lately, making it hard to catch up. I have finally made it to page 50!!! <snip>

Oooh, another poster attempting the full BlitzGirl! Good luck on your Quest, and congratulations on making it far enough to read this post! You have now blitzed through almost 300 more pages than I ever had to on my own QuestWOW.

TimeLurker wrote:Did anyone notice the javascript what-if today. The first footnote is for space1. It's all related and the GLR hears our OTT!

Space is big. Really big.1

1Like the Sea.
WOWI feel old.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Tue May 28, 2013 7:00 pm UTC

NobodyhereyetONG
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Tue May 28, 2013 7:03 pm UTC

Ooh.

May the next hour be fruitful and fast. So we can get the next Ong.

And it goes ong and ong and ong and ong...

partingLance

Postby partingLance » Tue May 28, 2013 7:03 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
partingLance wrote:
Spoiler:
Shanman wrote:
ergman wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Dracomax wrote:

Some on mars.

Spoiler:

Gaack. Beyond trend is... bad movie? I thought bad movies were a trend? Or rather: like the poor, they are always with us.

StratPlayer wrote: (snippage...)

mscha wrote:
Spoiler:
taixzo wrote:
mikro2nd wrote:In a moment of Divine Revelation it has come to me.
These are not snakes, nor are they locusts.
They are Time Flies.

Reposting because nobody replied to this and I find it awesome.

Well, they do seem to be having fun.
ttscp wrote:Didn't jjjdavidson say something about time flies like an arrow, or was that just an ambiguous post that I misinterpreted?

Someone did, I think; and I remember seeing time flies pop up a few more times.
I like it too, a very appropriate name.
So, from now on they will be species Time Fly, genus Flying Molpy, of the order of Molpy. (Other species in this genus include the Beesnake.)
No idea if I'm doing this right, I was never any good at biology.

Any objections?

None! Time Flies and Beesnakes are not one and the same species. Time flies are benign and like flitting and looping in happy patterns. Beesnakes are much more pestilent, pesky, and prone to attack one's snatch, as was mentioned in the on-going Jabberwoky parody.

I like this taxonomy too, though I can't resist a bit of pendantryFN: After species and genus, moving up in the hierarchy, is family, as:
Species
Genus
Family
Order
Class
Phylum
Kingdom (or, to use the mnemonic I came up with in school: Silly God; Forgot to Order and Classify; People Know).

FN TIMEWAITERS (wearily): "Try next time, partingLance, won't you?"
StratPlayer wrote:And at this very moment, someone on the Isle of Wight named Bungalo Bill is listening to the 'splat' made from using their family album to squash a beetle, that had ran, helter-skelter, straight for the wild honey pie made by his dear wife Prudence...

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Tue May 28, 2013 7:05 pm UTC

partingLance wrote:I like this taxonomy too, though I can't resist a bit of pendantryFN: After species and genus, moving up in the hierarchy, is family, as:
Species
Genus
Family
Order
Class
Phylum
Kingdom (or, to use the mnemonic I came up with in school: Silly GLR; Forgot to Order and Classify; People Know).

FN TIMEWAITERS (wearily): "Try next time, partingLance, won't you?"

Fixed that for you.
“have i gone mad?

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Tue May 28, 2013 7:06 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:

If there is, could you send him down this way? My tomato plants are looking a little droopy.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Tue May 28, 2013 7:07 pm UTC

Just a little byproduct of another project I am currently working on. Dumped a list of weighted1 by post count users of the OTT into http://www.wordle.net and this came out (restricted to the most heavy posters). Nothing special but I thought it would be pleasant to look at:
atu.png
All True Users

1 well, it needed a bit of mathemagical treating, but I am not telling more, 'cause this could possibly spoil the new project, given the kind of attention directed to minuscule bits of information here.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Tue May 28, 2013 7:08 pm UTC

moody7277 wrote:
TheMinim wrote:

If there is, could you send him down this way? My tomato plants are looking a little droopy.

We'll have to trace him first.... can you suggest a good brand of chalk?

And neat Wordle!

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue May 28, 2013 7:09 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Dracomax wrote:Stop Chasing me! I am NOT a molpy! I am not tiny! I'm just farther away!
Spoiler:

And obviously, Dracomax is no molpy, but more of the raptor classification. He has wings and everything!

HAH! How in Randall's name did I miss that during ketchup... Molpy! Come back! I made you a muffin!
BlitzGirl wrote:Space is big. Really big.

Indeed, you may think it's a long way along the river to the vineyard, but that's just peanuts to space.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

Signifer

Postby Signifer » Tue May 28, 2013 7:10 pm UTC

kenmelken wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
partingLance wrote:
Spoiler:
Shanman wrote:
ergman wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Dracomax wrote:

Some on mars.

Spoiler:

Well, it is about SIX [heresy]days[/heresy] that rain tortures me. And it seems like it's not going to stop for two others at least...

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue May 28, 2013 7:12 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:Just a little byproduct of another project I am currently working on. Dumped a list of weighted1 by post count users of the OTT into http://www.wordle.net and this came out (restricted to the most heavy posters). Nothing special but I thought it would be pleasant to look at:
Spoiler:

1 well, it needed a bit of mathemagical treating, but I am not telling more, 'cause this could possibly spoil the new project, given the kind of attention directed to minuscule bits of information here.

Stop by anytime! I'm at the corner of SBN and charlie_grumbles!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Tue May 28, 2013 7:13 pm UTC

Chaotic Pile of Ketchup (vol 3)

Spoiler:

"Fries anyone? Ketchup crash snarls traffic in Nevada"

And yet more assorted thoughts from the past 20+ NewPages:

Montov wrote:Captain foresight: Megan is going to say "Yeah."

Has anyone ever mentioned making a drinking game out of the dialogue of the OTC? Like "take a shot every time M or C say 'yeah'!" I don't think it would be that effective in real-time, but maybe on AubronWood's gif? You'd be plastered within a nanopix...

Dracomax wrote:It occurs to me that all of you people making connections have been doing much too much work.

1Neil Gaiman lives on the planet Outsiders call "Earth"
2.Stratplayer also lives on "Earth"

See? it's all connected. :wink:

<snip>

:D I nearly spit my tea out at this. Too funny! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

jjjdavidson wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:<snip>
On the other hand there was Dune. When did you finally give up on it?

I don't remember ever finishing Dune Messiah, actually, although I've read the original Dune several times.

I finished Heretics of Dune but nothing after that. Great example of sequel suckage!

Kieryn wrote:
Spoiler:
We miss you cmyk!

Spoiler:

Yes, indeed!!! I'd love to see him come back. And another long-lost Time Waiter I was thinking of is AionArap. His last post was way back on April 18th, with the prophetic final words: "What more can i say?" I hope he's ok...

And this, to wrap up vol 3:

ttscp wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:I feel badly that I haven't really contributed anything very concrete to the OTT.

I don't know how to measure contribution. Number of posts? New ideas? Or maybe, friendliness to others?
I for one, like it when I see your avatar. I know I'm going to read something interesting.

I absolutely agree with ttscp! lmjb1964, please don't ever think that you haven't "contributed anything"! I always enjoy your posts, and have no problem with how you put together your ketchup posts! There's always going to be a variety of opinions when a group of people come together like we have in the OTT, and I think it's clear that there's no particular "best way" to ketchup, or not, or long-post, or not. You can't please everyone, and trying to just leads to blandness and neurosis. Be yourself and I for one, will continue to enjoy your contributions!

...and Geez -- I'm still 17 NewPages behind!!! :shock: It may take me more than just [heresey]today[/heresey] to get caught up...
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Tue May 28, 2013 7:18 pm UTC

Time: it kills your time, bitches.

Or something...

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Tue May 28, 2013 7:21 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:Well, it's almost always beneficial to follow your lawyer's advice. Your lawyer doesn't have cloven feet, by any chance?

Don't they all?

Why yes. Yes they do.
But the red cape often obscures them.

TimeLurker wrote:Wow, top of the page. I feel special. :D

Why yes. You ARE special.
Please report immediately to the "special class". (Bill Cosby smiles)
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Tue May 28, 2013 7:23 pm UTC

Yay!
Voice of the Silent

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Tue May 28, 2013 7:23 pm UTC

kenmelken wrote:
I agree as well. :) And one other observation I might add that I discovered while compiling the prime panels to begin with: it gave me a great appreciation for each frame we got to keep by looking at it that way, and yet also a deep longing for each frame left behind. To me, it in that way kind of reinforced what this comic really seems to say to me altogether: that each moment in time is worth considering and savoring like we do here on the thread. The apropos nature of Randall's title for our beloved 1190 is that Time (the comic), just like Time on the Outside, must be experienced only moment at a time. There is no ability to skip ahead or to go back via the medium he has initially presented us. Obviously we've made wikis and threads and pages that record the frames and even dissect them, like a scrapbook of our life's past, but once the frame passes through Randall's little window on the original site, it will never be there again. Time marches on, constant and unchanging. Be glad for each moment in Time (comic and otherwise) you are given, and be glad you aren't limited to just the prime numbered pieces.

This is so close to my heart that I have to use Little Bear's nap to comment on it. My life's philosophy has become ‘Cherish each moment, and take joy.’ (With thanks to illustrator Tasha Tudor, who gave me the ‘take joy’ portion.) When my children were small, I got sooo tired of ‘I'm bored’ that I vowed not to ever be bored myself, and to my surprise it hasn't turned out to be that difficult. Oddly enough, ‘take joy’ is a bit more difficult: for example, in the past 3 yips my first 4 grandchildren have been born, which has been Joy of astonishing proportions. In the same time-frame, however, I've been given 3 different once-in-a-lifetime creative opportunities, which I have first delighted in, then pondered, then turned down because they each would have used quite a lot of the time that I have with the children. It's purely easy to take joy in the time with the babies, but sometimes difficult not to be bitter and sad that the opportunities didn't come to me earlier, when I might have had the joy of them followed by the joy of the grand-babies.

Cherishing each moment is the only way I can imagine living now - no matter what's going on, it will be a part of my future self, no less than any other moment, and therefore is precious.

Seaish again, but no time to redraft as LB will be waking very soon
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Tue May 28, 2013 7:27 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Stop by anytime! I'm at the corner of SBN and charlie_grumbles!

And I'm at the corner of BlitzGirl and buffygirl. Care to dance ladies?

Humbled by my inclusion, actually. And in such august company.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Tue May 28, 2013 7:28 pm UTC

So, I kind of jumped into the thread around newpage 680 or so, and am considering BlitzGirling the whole thing. Thoughts? Is such a thing still feasible?
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Tue May 28, 2013 7:28 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:Just a little byproduct of another project I am currently working on. Dumped a list of weighted1 by post count users of the OTT into http://www.wordle.net and this came out (restricted to the most heavy posters). Nothing special but I thought it would be pleasant to look at:
Spoiler:
atu.png

I like the way I look in that font. I think it suits me. Very nice!

We are rooting for you StratPlayer. You shall make it to the present, yet!

edit: fixed quote block
Last edited by k.bookbinder on Tue May 28, 2013 8:05 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Tue May 28, 2013 7:29 pm UTC

TimeLurker wrote:

Yay!

We even have a special bus...
Spoiler:

taixzo: If you wqant to jump in and start posting, go ahead. It's fun.

If you want to read it all, that's awesome too.

If you want to do some combination of the two, you won't be alone.

Do as you will, so long as it doesn't start flamewars.
Last edited by Dracomax on Tue May 28, 2013 7:30 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
“have i gone mad?

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Tue May 28, 2013 7:30 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:

Humbled by my inclusion, actually. And in such august company.

And what's 'august company'?

This thread makes you learn so much!

And taixzo, your choice whether you Blitz it, but it still can be done. Good luck if you do decide to!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue May 28, 2013 7:30 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:So, I kind of jumped into the thread around newpage 680 or so, and am considering BlitzGirling the whole thing. Thoughts? Is such a thing still feasible?

No idea. Try it and if you survive, we'll know! :wink:
It might be a little Mad, but that's the OTT for you.

charlie_grumbles wrote:

With all these corners, it must be a square dance...
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Tue May 28, 2013 7:31 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
taixzo wrote:So, I kind of jumped into the thread around newpage 680 or so, and am considering BlitzGirling the whole thing. Thoughts? Is such a thing still feasible?

charlie_grumbles wrote:

It could be a dodecahedron. those are pretty awesome. Why are there no dodecahedron dances, anyway?
“have i gone mad?

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Tue May 28, 2013 7:32 pm UTC

If you shun the Outside and live, eat, breathe the OTT as all true followers due then it is not only feasible, but your true calling.
That being said, noone will know if you skim/skip and join us in the present as well :wink: .
Voice of the Silent

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Tue May 28, 2013 7:33 pm UTC

kenmelken wrote:Kay... so, I have about 5 NP to read to ketchup, but I wanted to share something with y'all. :)

Remember how in Other Comic 521 Randall could only afford to produce the prime numbered panels of the comic? Well, it's a good thing he has a better budget now, because I've put together what the OTC would be like if it only had the prime numbered frames.

Behold, "Prime Time" given as a gif below.

Spoiler:
Some observations:
*A few favorite frames make it, such as the "fall of man," Cueball saying, "I don't understand how ANYTHING works," and Megan's tender "bye!" to the castle.
*La Petite doesn't survive.
*Most of the dialogue (not all, but to a surprising degree) that manages to survive is directly related to the rivers.
*The "Tree Period" is completely lost, and the only image we get of the "Neat Tree" is a single frame after Cueball has returned.
*Molpy detection is basically impossible, because through the Journey Era there really are barely any frames within the same camera shots to be able to see the change in pixels allowing a molpy to be identified.

Anyway, I'd love to hear your own thoughts about what made it and what didn't that you appreciate or are dismayed by.

PrimeTime.gif

Megan or Cueball's jumps in the dunes aren't among the prime numbered frames. That's one of the non- dialogue framesets that get's left out in most analyses.

1237 last prime before the jumps
1249 Cueball just landed, no evidence in the frame that he jumped, although he is looking back a Megan expectantly
1259 first prime after the jumps
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Tue May 28, 2013 7:35 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
TimeLurker wrote:

Yay!

We even have a special bus...
Spoiler:

The Magic School Bus!!! :shock: I loved the show, the books, all of it. Now I'm beside myself giddy to be oh so special. :lol:
Voice of the Silent

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Tue May 28, 2013 7:36 pm UTC

Feasible? Yesfootnote Sane? Not a chance.

I've been reading everything since the beginning and it's been difficult enough to just keep up. Although, if you're brave enough to attempt it, I'm sure you'll find copious amounts of moral support from everyone here.

footnoteAssuming you are willing to completely shun the outside and devote all of your time to the OTT.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue May 28, 2013 7:39 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
Spoiler:
charlie_grumbles wrote:

It could be a dodecahedron. those are pretty awesome. Why are there no dodecahedron dances, anyway?

Perhaps because it's difficult to dance in three dimensions?
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Tue May 28, 2013 7:39 pm UTC

I'm not even sure what I'm doing here now... or what I add to the worthiness of the OTT...

"She's getting existential again"

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Tue May 28, 2013 7:42 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:

TimeLurker wrote:

If you shun the Outside and live, eat, breathe the OTT as all true followers due then it is not only feasible, but your true calling.
That being said, noone will know if you skim/skip and join us in the present as well :wink: .

slinches wrote:

Feasible? Yesfootnote Sane? Not a chance.

I've been reading everything since the beginning and it's been difficult enough to just keep up. Although, if you're brave enough to attempt it, I'm sure you'll find copious amounts of moral support from everyone here.

footnoteAssuming you are willing to completely shun the outside and devote all of your time to the OTT.

Well, I suppose that every newpix I delay is another I will have to blitz past later, so I suppose I'm off. Bye everyone!

*hops into time portal*
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Selcouth

Postby Selcouth » Tue May 28, 2013 7:42 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:I'm not even sure what I'm doing here now... or what I add to the worthiness of the OTT...

*unholsters water gun*

*enables ninja mode*

*approaches*
"But I've never seen the Icarus story as a lesson about the limitations of humans... I see it as a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive."

-Randall Munroe

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Tue May 28, 2013 7:45 pm UTC

Selcouth wrote:
TheMinim wrote:I'm not even sure what I'm doing here now... or what I add to the worthiness of the OTT...

*unholsters water gun*

*enables ninja mode*

*approaches*

*is unsuspecting*

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Tue May 28, 2013 7:48 pm UTC

Don't make me do this again. I can't speak for what you are doing here, me I'm avoiding doing Outside work, but you add to the worthinessA. Aren't you the one who said,
It's why I short-circuit to cake.

Though it would help if you had an avatar.

AAs do we all.

Edit: PFANP. I decree..., I decree..., uh, let the OTC continue, the OTT to be interesting, and the OTS to get a t-shirt soon.
Last edited by ttscp on Tue May 28, 2013 7:52 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Tue May 28, 2013 7:51 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
Spoiler:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:Aagh! No standardizing! No standardizing! No standardizing!

Yes, Thanks. Agree completely. Have a tall one. Go with it. Let it happen.

I propose we standardize the process of going with it and remaining free from standards. If it seems that a standard is forming, within 2 newpages we must ensure at least 5 rebuttals are made, each ending with the phrase "ni ni ni ni ni chupacabra ping pong ball". At which point we all chant in unison "united we stand opposed to standards" and rub our tummies in circles while patting our head.

I know this is from a lot of newpages ago, but... Kieryn has proposed a standard way to stay free from standards. That means we need to propose new competing standards. So I think we should address each newly born standard with trebuchets throwing micro-USB plugs, while singing the back vocals of a Susumu Hirasawa song.

To stay on topic with the current off-topic topic, it's been raining for days here in the North-East of France. Though we had a few sunny days, like yesterday.

Oh and thanks XonqNopp for the issues on Github!
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Tue May 28, 2013 7:55 pm UTC

@kenmelken - PrimeTime was cool. I found it to be a neat way to catch up (without having to watch every frame again).

mscha wrote:
bmonk wrote:Do we have a term for a person who is blitzing to ketchup, but also has a current tab open?

SchizoBlitzing? Image
Seconded! (Though, is that the right spelling for schizo?)

ergman wrote:When all is Said and done, we should get shirts that say: 'I waited for it and all I got was this stupid T-Rex'.

FTFY. That is, it would be a shirt, say that, and have a picture of a molpyraptor instead. *shrug*

mikro2nd wrote:@BlitzGirl - mysterious lumps
<snip/>
Molpy Hills?

She'll be needing over-the-shoulder-molpy-hill-holders soon. :lol: *runs away like a punk*

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”