1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Kieryn

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Kieryn » Thu May 30, 2013 11:11 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Exodies wrote:I received an invitation in pm to join an alt thread to discuss Time "away from all these loonies".

:lol: Is it here in the xkcd fora somewhere?

not that I want to instigate a Crusade or anything I'm just curious really I am

Has to be the most flattering remark I've ever been a target of...

Edit: In fact... Sigged.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 30, 2013 11:16 pm UTC

Found this stray thread over in General, but the conversation stopped a couple wips ago, and it actually discussed the OTT instead of the OTC (azule acted as our ambassador).
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ergman

Postby ergman » Thu May 30, 2013 11:17 pm UTC

@scisistor's (I hope I spelt that right) cool wall of avatars:
I love it, and all the other visualizations of thread data. For whatever reason, in this one, our curmudgeonly elder is sitting on my head
@the possibility of a multiTrueThread:
I would rather a malty one:
Spoiler:
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Thu May 30, 2013 11:25 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:however, due to the nature of styrofoam, it would compact under the weight of styrofoam on top of it. Which would make it denser,

And that, grownups, is why GLR recommends crush-proof playpen balls. Be responsible with your ball mountains.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Thu May 30, 2013 11:40 pm UTC

kenmelken wrote:Update on my wiki-Quest

Thank you very much for your very welcome wiki work! I think you did a great job in classifying and naming the various eras.

kenmelken wrote:First, I'd like to make a slight adjustment to the "Hills Period," by making its starting point frame 1221 instead of 1229. Frankly, it just makes a lot more sense. 1220 is their last frame at the side of the river, where they decide to break off and head into the hills, the first landscape profile frame of which is 1221, even though at that point the ascent is more gradual than the more pronounced appearance in 1229. Any objections to slightly adjusting that beginning frame number?

Seconded!

kenmelken wrote:First, the Shoreline Era, comprising the First Journey Period, Fake Loop, Second Journey Period, River Period, Third Journey Period, Second River Period, and Fourth Journey Period. These periods essentially mark the first stage of their journey as they travel along the coast of the sea and then along the edge of the river. This era ends with them deciding to leave the river and progress through the hills and meet up later, marking their first adaptation of their plans as they learn more about this part of their world.

I think that it might be appropriate to split the Shoreline Era in two parts, the Shoreline Era comprising the First Journey Period, Fake Loop, and Second Journey Period, and a new era, which might be called the River Era, comprising the River Period, Third Journey Period, Second River Period, and Fourth Journey Period. The discovery of the river3, whose existence was formerly unknown to Cuegan, feels like an important shifting point in their journey, and it could well be worth the beginning of a new era. Additionally to the change in their knowledge, they also changed the direction of their route, turning northward (which is better than when they were following the sea1, not walking straight into the sun all morning anymore).

What do you think?

1: big
3: pretty neat, and even bigger than it looked
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri May 31, 2013 12:00 am UTC

ONGeriffic!
leavONG the frame
ETA: only six posts between ONGs! It hasn't been nearly that narrow recently, if I recall properly. Though I think there may have been consecutive ONGs during/shortly before Newpixbot's genesis.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri May 31, 2013 12:40 am UTC

mscha wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:Is there some kind of queue or mob for people requesting animated avatars? If so, I'd like to join such a group, as I'm not wholely satisfied with my current effort of sticking BlitzGirl's "small" bubble from the boomdeyadda onto my buffygirlhaberdashery avatar.

You call that asking nicely? You should take lessons from Valarya. Image
I made you one anyway, though:
Sorry, that was a mere expression of interest. I was going to ask properly after finding out if you were taking general requests.But thanks so much for doing such a quick and excellent job! :D

So it's time I made another creative contribution of my own:

(to be read in the voice of Jeff Bridges and accompanied by... well you should know.)

The Sea.
A sandy frontier.
I tried to picture creatures waiting for it as they moved through the newpix.
What do they look like?
Molpies, beesnakes.

With pretty neat rivers.
I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see.
And then, one day...
I fell in.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Fri May 31, 2013 12:44 am UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:I think that it might be appropriate to split the Shoreline Era in two parts, the Shoreline Era comprising the First Journey Period, Fake Loop, and Second Journey Period, and a new era, which might be called the River Era, comprising the River Period, Third Journey Period, Second River Period, and Fourth Journey Period. The discovery of the river3, whose existence was formerly unknown to Cuegan, feels like an important shifting point in their journey, and it could well be worth the beginning of a new era. Additionally to the change in their knowledge, they also changed the direction of their route, turning northward (which is better than when they were following the sea1, not walking straight into the sun all morning anymore).

What do you think?

That was actually my first idea as well. It certainly does make a lot of sense. The only reason I hesitated is that the proposed shoreline era would, under that way, be very short--shorter than any other era by far. However, I don't think that really matters, as length isn't really a definer or qualifier for an era. As you point out, it does mark a major shift, so even if it was a very short era, it still probably does make sense to let it stand separate from the river period.

So, in short, I concur. I think a 4 era division instead of 3 actually makes a lot of sense.

It will still be a few newpix before I'll have a chance to update it anyway, so others can still pitch in their thoughts.
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Fri May 31, 2013 12:46 am UTC

First and most important:
yappobiscuits wrote:OW OW yes alright I'll get on with recording Boom De Yada 2, leggo me ear!

Yappo─No pressure, no pressure at all! I'd love to hear your rendition, but not if you're not enjoying it. We're all volunteers here, after all. Keep it fun!

StratPlayer wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:
Spoiler:
SBN wrote:
edfel wrote:
Back on NP 715, ttscp wrote:There are limits to collaboration. If I post and nobody pays any attention, I'm likely to get my nose out of joint.

Since the usage here is to try and bring something new with every post (as opposed to, say, a single "lol"), it's always hard to tell when people pay attention to your post. The number of quotes tells you the number of people who found something to add, which is different from who found the post interesting/funny/good/...

Especially since "Me, too" posts are specifically discouraged. And, the speed of this thread makes it really easy for things to get overlooked, at least initially. So, yeah, not getting any response can mean any number of things, most of them at least neutral.

I've been thinking about this for weeks.

Imagine Henny Youngman on stage, doing classic stand-up comedy. And the audience never laughs--he's thinking to himself, "I got a bigger reaction from the Mona Lisa." Then suddenly, five or six minutes into his routine, the audience bursts into wild applause─

─at the Robert Goulet number they heard fifteen minutes earlier. And ten minutes or so after that, during a big dance number with thirty beautiful leggy girls in spangly costumes, everybody in the room starts roaring with laughter.

Man, that's what posting in this thread is like.

Sure, there are the "Tom Jones is at the roulette table!" moments when everybody dashes off right away to see, like when BlitzGirl finally reached the present (and Helper and HAL9000 popped up) or Yappo's terrific recording of BlitzGirl's I Love the Thread, but those times just amplify the general effect.

Have you ever heard someone, after a buildup to a gag, say, "Wait for it!" before the punch line? Well, on this thread, it's the comic (not The Comic) who has to "Wait for it." Or any other poster, for that matter─there's no predicting how late a response will come.

On the Outside, you throw a comment into a conversation like a pebble into a pond, and you make a little splash or a big splash, and then the ripples die away. If your timing is good, you can drop another pebble at just the right moment, and build on the ripples from the first one─but they still die away. But here?

A real-thread illustration: On NP 483 (May 1, morning my time) I dropped a little gag about the .otf file extension. (And if I revive it with this post, it won't count: Observer bias or Hawthorne effect or Heisenberg's principle or something. [Ain't Wikipedia handy?])

A few people (Valarya, lmjb1964, Angelastic) came back with grins over the next five NP, and I thought it would quietly die. But then phoenixRising mentioned it on NP 495 (May 1, nearly midnight my time) and KarMann quoted her, and several more people responded. Then on NP 500, about 25 newpix after my original post, Valarya teased Dracomax about using OTF to mean One True Forum, and there was another brief flurry of quoting, then silence.

But then, on NP 535, 3½ xips after my original post, azule put "One True Font" in her list of OTx TLAs. And mikrit dropped the phrase on NP 589, 9 full xips, over 220 newpix later. It died off after that, at last; no big surprise. But I also wouldn't have been much surprised if when partingLance hit the top of a Newpage a couple of pages back and ventured a blanket blank decree, someone had posted, "Your decree's no good─"

And of course, partingLance and xpatiate both posted double dactyls today, nine xips after I orginally brought them up. Eek!

The narrative flow of the OTT is absurdly knotted and tangled. There's a PhD thesis in here for some sociology major, I'm guessing. If Randall tried to do a narrative chart for the OTT the way he did for LotR and Star Wars, we'd give him a nervous breakdown. (And, Randall, if you do have spies on the OTT, that's really not intended as a challenge.)
...What, were you expecting me to draw a conclusion? I'm not a sociology major. I'm just talking.

Two points:
1. That was really an excellent thought-raising post, filled with humorous and insightful analysis. Well done!
...and...
2. Henny Youngman, Robert Goulet, and Tom Jones??? :shock: Man, oh man-- you are old!!! :lol: :D

Two responses:
1. Thanks! I try, I really do. I just wish it hadn't been nearly my last post for three days.
2. About midway between Bill and Melinda Gates, actually. Sometimes I feel a whole lot older─then I go and listen to some Guster and I feel better. (Because of me, my girls like Guster, but they also like Katharine Hepburn and Cary Grant. Yay me!) Lately, of course, the OTT has been helping keep me feisty.

Awards for Randall?
Spoiler:
HAL9000 wrote:
edo wrote:Hey, I haven't noticed if this has come up: should we be trying to nominate Randall/the OTC for some awards?

Knowing Randall, he won't ever discuss "Time" with anyone at all, regardless of how many awards we throw at him. Remember, this is a guy who's so quiet online that a single blog update is a flurry of activity from him.

lmjb1964 wrote:As far as awards for Randall, even if he didn't discuss them, he might still like having them. If anyone knows of something to nominate him for, let us know.

Well, if anyone here is a member of Worldcon, they could try to nominate Time for the Hugo for Best Graphic Story, a fairly new category (won 3 times straight by Girl Genius). But I'd say it's probably a real long shot, since we don't yet know to what extent there is a story: whether Time is just rambling, or some post-apocalyptic SF story, or The World's Longest Shaggy Dog Joke.

Styrofoam mountains?
Spoiler:
ucim wrote:
Dracomax wrote:...a styrofoam mountain, by virtue of being the size of a mountain, should be fairly massive. Not particularly dense, but fairly massive.
True enough, but it would look just as close by as an equivalent mountain made of lead. So, the reason for its being farther away than it looks is unrelated to its mass, at least on a non-relativistic scale.

One thing about styrofoam:rock:lead everyone's neglected: The elevation of a mountain is related to its mass, since the earth's crust floats on a dense liquid. A styrofoam mountain would weigh down less on the crust beneath it, and so would sit measurably taller than a lead mountain of exactly the same size. (SBN, if we replaced their mountain with styrofoam, they'd probably be too busy with the resulting earthquakes to notice the change.) This sounds like a What-If question: If all of North America above sea level was replaced by styrofoam of exactly the same shape, how much would the continent rise?" (Styrofoam, Rock, Lead─is that a new finger game?)

And a couple of bits of It's All Related:
Spoiler:
The May 26th Mutts strip contains an oddly-appropriate quote from Charles Schulz; replace "day after day" with "newpix after newpix".

And, on that same day, I was working on something a little different for the OTT. I didn't post it because I wasn't happy with how it came out (and I won't explain because I'm still hoping to improve it), but two days before this What-If image appeared:ImageI created this:
It's all related!

P.S. llab gnop gnip arbacapuhc in! in! in! in! in!
Edited to fix image link.
Last edited by jjjdavidson on Fri May 31, 2013 1:44 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Fri May 31, 2013 1:01 am UTC

hilly-ONG
See you in a few newpix. I need my beauty sleep real bad.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri May 31, 2013 1:06 am UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:hilly-ONG
Spoiler:

More of a cliff-ONG, I'd say. I'd like to see Cuegan try and climb that. (But I'll probably be acoma.)

jjjdavidson, you've got a non-existing image in your final spoiler...
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri May 31, 2013 1:07 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:First and most important:
yappobiscuits wrote:OW OW yes alright I'll get on with recording Boom De Yada 2, leggo me ear!

Yappo─No pressure, no pressure at all! I'd love to hear your rendition, but not if you're not enjoying it. We're all volunteers here, after all. Keep it fun!

Heh, nono, I definitely want to do it! I was just joking around there...

jjjdavidson wrote:And, on that same day, I was working on something a little different for the OTT. I didn't post it because I wasn't happy with how it came out (and I won't explain because I'm still hoping to improve it), but two days before this What-If image appeared:
Spoiler:
ImageI created this:
It's all related!

P.S. llab gnop gnip arbacapuhc in! in! in! in! in!

I see no image... (the one of yours, the what-if one shows up fine)
(also ninja'd by mscha on that last point...)
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri May 31, 2013 1:21 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Found this stray thread over in General, but the conversation stopped a couple wips ago, and it actually discussed the OTT instead of the OTC (azule acted as our ambassador).

I've wandered into some other threads a few times, and they never seem anywhere near as friendly as this one. I do get how this one can feel hard to join, now. Not that we don't welcome new folks, but it's got to feel something like that first big family reunion where you meet all the new in-laws and their cousins, and their kids, and their cousins' kids.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri May 31, 2013 1:24 am UTC

mscha wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:hilly-ONG
Spoiler:

More of a cliff-ONG, I'd say. I'd like to see Cuegan try and climb that. (But I'll probably be acoma.)

Well, there is that ledge partway up that one or both could stand on.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

jolleychris

Postby jolleychris » Fri May 31, 2013 1:32 am UTC

This thread is fascinating, and I keep dipping into it whenever I can (and often loosing sleep as a result) but try as I may, it is beyond my capabilities to fully comprehend! Hats off to the religious communities that have sprung up around the One True Comic (I've also see the word loonies used more than once) and devoted themselves to protecting it, especially those who do so under the proviso that no one asks them to do anything.

Thing is, I'm lost! I'd love to read the conjecture, predictions, analyses and debates about the nature and future of the comic, but it's impossible to really follow any kind of coherent (to me) thread in this vein.. which is just further testament to how epic and astounding Time and the OTT are.

I come seeking guidance - Can anyone help? I feel like I need a guidebook for this thread or something.
Note: I have been digesting the wiki as much as possible

Is it the case that all 'focused' (for want of a better word - that isn't it!) discussion of the comic has dried up or migrated to what I have seen termed 'Other Threads' (i think?), and if so where would a heretic(?) such as myself find such threads? Blasphemy in the extreme I realise, I would be happy to serve whatever punishment is befitting a lurker such as myself.

Please excuse my well meant, though likely shamefully transparent attempts to demonstrate at least some high level understanding of the terminology used throughout this thread.. I feel a bit like i'm visiting France for the first time and out of politeness, feeling it necessary to fall back on my high school French skills, embarrassing and telling as they would have been.

Keep up the good work, even though I understand around 10% of what's going on here at most, I still find the scripture here entertaining, in the same way as trying to use your phone when some joker has kindly set all of the menus to a Chinese dialect is a good puzzle for an amount of time - probably not very long if you read Chinese! (Other languages are available, I just think that one looks and sounds the prettiest)

I havn't even figured out how to get notifications of replies or subsequent posts to this one, so it will probably be (new)Page 8XX by the time I return, and am unable to find this post again, as happened with my last post(s). I lack elite forum skillz*, clearly.

*yeah, I'm one of those long time xkcd lurkers who registered just to post here a few [insert bespoke OTC vocabulary for 'weeks' that I don't understand yet] ago, sorry :)
Last edited by jolleychris on Fri May 31, 2013 1:35 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri May 31, 2013 1:35 am UTC

Dont worry jollychris, just wing it, you will catch on!
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

AnotherKevin

Postby AnotherKevin » Fri May 31, 2013 1:37 am UTC

Rule110 wrote:When on a hike I'd climb it. In a silly mood and when not on a hike I'd try to jump it (and probably fail).
When on a hike the complications of a sprained ankle are big. You do not want to be 20 km from the nearest paved road and sprain your ankle.
But then again: I am not a stick figure.

Rule110 also no doubt knows the proper techniques for getting up such things - they're pretty fundamental for all Class 3 and Class 4 rock scrambling. http://www.backpacker.com/august_2005_skills_scramble_peaks/skills/9093 is a little sidebar in an old Backpacker magazine showing how it's done. Or watch a toddler getting up onto the kitchen counter. It's easier than it looks. The mistake that a lot of grownups make (but no toddler ever seems to) is putting a knee on the ledge. So you're kneeling on the ledge. Now what? You still have to get a boot onto it to make progress. But the grownups have forgotten. The toddler knows.

In winter, the move is pretty much the same. Engage the ledge with the head of your ice axe, walk your front points up, and then get one instep crampon onto the ledge and swing/step up.
All the rivers run into the sea, yet the sea is not full.
Unto the place from whence the rivers come, thither they return again.

jolleychris

Postby jolleychris » Fri May 31, 2013 1:39 am UTC

I see a future with classrooms and lecture halls providing foundation, intermediate and advanced courses and inductions on the subject of Time and the OTT!

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri May 31, 2013 1:42 am UTC

jolleychris wrote:Is it the case that all 'focused' (for want of a better word - that isn't it!) discussion of the comic has dried up or migrated to what I have seen termed 'Other Threads'?

Well, there's still discussion whenever something major occurs in the OTC, or if there's dialog. If it's just another frame of them walking, there might not be any discussion directly tied to the comic at all, but if it's something as major as "suddenly, baobabs!" then it'll be all we talk about for a while, and then the OTC will slow down and we'll go back to talking about other stuff.
And, if you want to post, here, just remember the Rules:
  • Wait for it.
  • It's ALL related.
  • If you think it may have been said before, it probably has been. Post it anyways! We need something to discuss between newpix.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri May 31, 2013 1:44 am UTC

jolleychris wrote:This thread is fascinating, and I keep dipping into it whenever I can (and often loosing sleep as a result) but try as I may, it is beyond my capabilities to fully comprehend! Hats off to the religious communities that have sprung up around the One True Comic (I've also see the word loonies used more than once) and devoted themselves to protecting it, especially those who do so under the proviso that no one asks them to do anything.

Thing is, I'm lost! I'd love to read the conjecture, predictions, analyses and debates about the nature and future of the comic, but it's impossible to really follow any kind of coherent (to me) thread in this vein.. which is just further testament to how epic and astounding Time and the OTT are.

I come seeking guidance - Can anyone help? I feel like I need a guidebook for this thread or something.

Is it the case that all 'focused' (for want of a better word - that isn't it!) discussion of the comic has dried up or migrated to what I have seen termed 'Other Threads' (i think?), and if so where would a heretic(?) such as myself find such threads? Blasphemy in the extreme I realise, I would be happy to serve whatever punishment is befitting a lurker such as myself.

We are discussing the comic, but really, they just took four hours to walk across the frame. How much is there to say, really, if we just discussed the comic. "Walking" "Still Walking" "More Walking" "Still More Walking" Yes, occasionally there is more to talk about, and then we do. Yes, in the meantime we're having a lot of other discussions, there's a lot of talent here, but not everyone has that, so some of us are basically just audience to that. (And sometimes, I'm not even that, I'm the little kid dragged to big sister's piano recital, because I can't properly appreciate everything everyone does.) It's ok. Read what you can, enjoy what you can, add what you can. Ask questions if you want. We're a really nice bunch.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Fri May 31, 2013 1:48 am UTC

I still feel like it would be cool if the thread could be parsed into topics that could then be read separately as one pleases. That sounds really hard though. I think Kieryn and some of the other analysts do get kind of close to that with some of their word crunching...
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

partingLance

Postby partingLance » Fri May 31, 2013 1:51 am UTC

At the risk of heresy, this may have gone too far (or I may have gone too far with it). Here in the Outside, I just said "Wait for it"... to a cat.

That is all. As you were, etc.
StratPlayer wrote:And at this very moment, someone on the Isle of Wight named Bungalo Bill is listening to the 'splat' made from using their family album to squash a beetle, that had ran, helter-skelter, straight for the wild honey pie made by his dear wife Prudence...

jjjdavidson

Postby jjjdavidson » Fri May 31, 2013 1:53 am UTC

mscha wrote:jjjdavidson, you've got a non-existing image in your final spoiler...

Fixed, I hope─thanks for the heads-up. It seems I had a fundamental misunderstanding of how the fora handle uploaded files. I can see the image, as long as I'm logged in, but no one else can. Apparently you can link to an image you uploaded, but if it isn't actually referenced as an attachment on some post somewhere, you're the only one who can see it.

I had the same problem with my "Henny Youngman" post a few days ago; it's fixed now, but there are probably ones before that. Argh.
Don't wait for me.
He won! He won! He won!

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Fri May 31, 2013 1:58 am UTC

partingLance wrote:At the risk of heresy, this may have gone too far (or I may have gone too far with it). Here in the Outside, I just said "Wait for it"... to a cat house molpy.

FTFY

Some Ways to Time

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri May 31, 2013 2:00 am UTC

tinyONG

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri May 31, 2013 2:01 am UTC

MOLPONG!!
Spoiler:
Ninja'd.

It's on top of the cliff.
What kind of Molpy could it be? Doesn't really look like a Molpysnake, certainly not our friend Molpython.
For lack of better information, I'm calling it a Cliff Molpy, for now.
Last edited by mscha on Fri May 31, 2013 2:12 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Fri May 31, 2013 2:02 am UTC

Chaotic Pile of Ketchup (vol 15)

Spoiler:

"Fries anyone? Ketchup crash snarls traffic in Nevada"

The latest entry in an on=going series of replies to past-posts as I get ketchupped -- once again from 12 NewPages in the past...

rcrowell wrote:
Spoiler:
Like Megball, many of us have been wondering where everybody has gone.

It seems "the people" haven't been away for long, as indicated by the somewhat recently tended vines, the tree that must have been tied up/supported in the recent past, the bench that hasn't yet been overgrown with plant life and the (not quite as new) remainders of campsites.

One popular OTT hypothesis is that Cuegan are inhabiting some post-apocalyptic time period.
Here's a possible alternative: all this evokes, in my mind at least, echos of Stephen King's "The Langoliers". Anybody else care to chime in on that thought? Maybe the molpies aren't really molpies. Maybe they are King's "timekeepers of eternity; their purpose is to clean up what is left of the past by eating it..." (from the Wikipedia entry on The Langoliers).

It seems perfectly logical to me to attribute this all to Stephen King. After all, Lord Randall did command us to Wait for...
Spoiler:

Qalyar wrote:Hmm. You know, it's possible that the OTC is taking place on Cassini's version of Madagascar.

If finding the OTC location in the real world requires tipping the real world on its side, it ain't the real world. It seems much more likely that this is just another segment of the Randallverse, the same "location" that spawned Click and Drag.

kenmelken wrote:Either way, I am actually quite enjoying my Wiki Quest, but there really is much work to do and I could use some help, especially in expanding the articles on lots of the earlier periods that are merely stubs right now, or creating entries for red links, like those I've left open in the entry I created last night for the "Wow" Baobab Period. Wiki editing can actually be quite fun, so I'd love to see some of you over there. :)

Thank you for all you're doing with the Wiki! I would love to help, as Outside forces allow -- I've thought of trying to make a complete glossary, including attribution for first use in the OTT, but it's a daunting goal. For now, it unfortunately remains only a dream...

Dracomax wrote:
TheMinim wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:...and slowly making progress against the steady tide of Time -- I'm now 14 NP's behind...

Steady? It's not steady. It's calm at some times and chaotic at millions of others.

It averages out to steady.

Yes! In just the same way that the average person has one breast, one fallopian tube, and one testicle. :lol:

partingLance wrote:
Spoiler:
StratPlayer wrote:
partingLance wrote:
taixzo wrote:Megan's gONG...

Any Tom Robinson fans on the OTT? Even if so, no TRB filks yet, I'll wager. And with that....

Now Megan's Gone
Megan's gone... Megan's gone
Thing will never the same again
Now Megan's gone

I told the beach and the rising Sea
Our small River wouldn't answer me
I told the mustard, and I told the old tents
I told the molpy and the berry fence
I told the baobabs, told 'em just because
I'd tell La Petite if I knew where she was
I told everything in the world I knew
Would the people up the River know what to do...?

[chorus] Megan's gone... Megan's gone (etc.)

I told the camp sites and acacia trees
I got down and told them on my knees
I told the Time Flies and the raptors too
I said oh my and-uh, boo-hoo
I told the dunes and I told the flood plains
What's she gonna do when it starts to rain?
I wish I was back in familiar haunts
She's like the Sea, she does what she wants...

[chorus] Megan's gone... Megan's gone (etc., etc....).

ETA: 'Ray to BlitzGirl for "Don't Worry, Feed Squirpys," and to rule110 for "Madagascarville" -- most excellent, both!

ETA2: My username is a variation on one I had for a long time on another forum. No real resemblence to the movie character -- I'm not a surfer (alas), and have never had occasion to work a forward .50 (thankfully).

Uhhh, I might lose any marginal semblance of music cred I may have been clinging to, but, ummm, I've never hear of Tom Robinson. I keep thinking of an old Byrds tune about "old John Robinson, he wore a Stetson hat" but I'm willing to wager that's not who you meant. Still, I don't know how your original tune is supposed to go. I look at the title and I hear "She's Gone" by Hall and Oates. Again -- likely not what you meant. :wink: But I do like the lyrics very much, so based on the wording, rhyme, and meter I give this a hearty "Huzzah!" :D

Thanks! As for Tom Robinson: not to worry about cred, he was never that big in North America, I guess. If you go to YouTube and search using his name and "Now Martin's Gone," you'll find at least one "video" (for which read: a still of the single sleeve, with the music).

Two things: one, this was far from being his best song (I'd have said that was "Power In The Darkness," or maybe "2-4-6-8 Motorway"). Two: man, does it ever have an 80s sound, and not in a good way. I'm fairly sure I hadn't heard it, from then to now.

But past all that: in the fourth line of (my) second verse, there's a reference to a very different artist. Any guesses?

I checked out the videos and "Martin's Gone" is pretty good, but you're definitely right about the 80's synth-drum thing going on. "Power in the Darkness" is much better -- funkier and a much better groove. I liked that a lot! "2-4-6-8 Motorway" I've heard before and liked but had no idea who the band was. Much more guitar-based rock instead of 80's cheesy synth, which is always my preference. :mrgreen: And in case no-one else has answered your question -- that's a lift from some very old Iggy Pop and the Stooges, of course! But then I grew up in Michigan, so I've got regional bias working for me in recognizing them. :wink:

yappobiscuits wrote:New song parody time! And I've come over all punk for this one!

Just a disclaimer: it's absolutely NOT referring to anyone real at all, or a stab at blitzing generally, it's entirely a hypothetical story - the original song comes from a parody concept album about a death metal band that sells out and starts playing pop punk to make more money, and the song "Fake Punk" talks about how they're not really punk at heart, as much as they try to look it. I thought it would be funny to turn it into a hypothetical story about a timewaiter who doesn't really want to blitz the thread but does it anyway thinking it'll gain him more respect in the community. But remember, completely hypothetical, nothing against any of our actual blitzers! (See avatar, I love you!)

"Fake Blitz"
(Based on "Fake Punk" by Devin Townsend, under the Punky Brüster alias)
Spoiler:
This here's a song about the things you don't find in the Outside
This here's a tale about conditions of the head
At one time I wanted to just stick around the present
But I'll get more respect if I go read through the whole thread

I've gotta blitz the past, and forget about present happenings
And even though I'm a casual timewaiter at the most
Randall knows I wanna be loved
So I'm on a fake blitz! On a fake blitz!
On a fake blitz! I'm on a fake blitz!
I'll just skim through most of the posts
And I won't really read the words,
I'll even botch a half-assed signpost
'Cause I've got the skills for it!

I've never had interest in whatever lies behind us
It doesn't really matter if I know this stuff or not
But just look how everybody honours those like BlitzGirl
So I'll just carry on and trudge through newpages a lot

I'm on a fake blitz! On a fake blitz!

I'd be alright if I could just hang out in the future
I'd be just fine if the whole past just went away
And maybe when I come back I'll prepare a present present
But when it comes to sincere ketchup you can just
Leave me the f*ck alone!

On a fake blitz! On a fake blitz!

That's a great parody -- too funny!!!! :lol: But umm -- I AM on a totally legit, non-sellout, real-hardcore, read-it-all, ketchup blitz.... Just sayin'... :wink: :P :lol:

...and that's a good place to end volume 15. Now 11 NP's to go...
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

partingLance

Postby partingLance » Fri May 31, 2013 2:09 am UTC

SBN wrote:
partingLance wrote:At the risk of heresy, this may have gone too far (or I may have gone too far with it). Here in the Outside, I just said "Wait for it"... to a cat house molpy.

FTFY

Much obliged. Like I said, I was pretty sure I was at least skirting heresy. I was a bit rattled.
StratPlayer wrote:And at this very moment, someone on the Isle of Wight named Bungalo Bill is listening to the 'splat' made from using their family album to squash a beetle, that had ran, helter-skelter, straight for the wild honey pie made by his dear wife Prudence...

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri May 31, 2013 2:09 am UTC

StratPlayer wrote:...and that's a good place to end volume 15. Now 11 NP's to go...

Blitz fast, Blitz fancy.
Ooh! One post to go until a repetitive-number milestone! But I must coma now...

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Fri May 31, 2013 2:15 am UTC

partingLance wrote:At the risk of heresy, this may have gone too far (or I may have gone too far with it). Here in the Outside, I just said "Wait for it"... to a cat.

In the [heretical] Outside [/heretical] I have been trying to teach the art of "Wait for it" to my cats. It is not going well. They still demand that I wake and feed them when the sun rises (which is well before my alarm goes off) and when I come home, and once again before I coma. I fear that they are not meant to be converts to the OTC and the "wait for it" philosophical teachings of the OTT.

I'm a little disappointed with the results thus far.

On a different note altogether, I am quite happy with Daft Punk's RAM and have been contemplating in the back of the cave with Fragments of Time on repeat.

StratPlayer wrote:But umm -- I AM on a totally legit, non-sellout, real-hardcore, read-it-all, ketchup blitz.... Just sayin'... :wink: :P :lol:

Still with you StratPlayer! We're all still 100% behind you, here in front of you, in your future present.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Fri May 31, 2013 2:16 am UTC

(don't click. wait for it.) 3, 9, 7, 1, 5!

This ketchup is brought to you by the Lincolnshire Poacher:
Spoiler:

*ding, dong*
*ding, dong*
*ding, dong*

Spoiler:
Sciscitor wrote:Update from my new project: It did not turn out just as I imagined it, but due to Outside restrictions I will have to leave it at that for some Time now. There are some avatars missing and some are stale, and I am not entirely content with the way some of them are scaled. However, those without an avatar are mentioned in randomly coloured rectangles, their name spelled out in xkcd font.
As it became my custom with such images, there is a huge version of them as well.
If someone wants to turn this thing into a clickable map, I could provide any image size and a corresponding JSON dataset with coordinates, names and/or user ids.

AWSUM!

kenmelken wrote:Update on my wiki-Quest (with some matters I need feedback from the community before proceeding):

Yesterday I finally actually got an account on wikia! Now my edits aren't anonymous like they always have been before!

Anyway, onto important things:

First, I'd like to make a slight adjustment to the "Hills Period," by making its starting point frame 1221 instead of 1229. Frankly, it just makes a lot more sense. 1220 is their last frame at the side of the river, where they decide to break off and head into the hills, the first landscape profile frame of which is 1221, even though at that point the ascent is more gradual than the more pronounced appearance in 1229. Any objections to slightly adjusting that beginning frame number?

Second, I brought up before the idea of breaking down the Journey Eon into multiple eras, like the Sandcastle Eon was. Right now, it is all grouped in one "Journey Era" within its eponymous eon. And yet, there have definitely been some major shifting points in the story and their geographical progress. This also will help keep things more organized like the Sandcastle Eon was. I propose breaking down what has happened so far in the Journey Eon into 3 eras (and the beginning of a fourth), as follows:

First, the Shoreline Era, comprising the First Journey Period, Fake Loop, Second Journey Period, River Period, Third Journey Period, Second River Period, and Fourth Journey Period. These periods essentially mark the first stage of their journey as they travel along the coast of the sea and then along the edge of the river. This era ends with them deciding to leave the river and progress through the hills and meet up later, marking their first adaptation of their plans as they learn more about this part of their world.

Thus, the next era, which I don't have any better name for than the Hills and Forest Era (suggestions?), would follow the next stage of their journey as the leave behind the river for a while to make their shortcut through the hills and forest. This era would comprise the Hills Period, Fifth Journey Period, Tree Period, Cueball's Quest, Sixth Journey Period, and ending with the Third River Period, where they rejoin with the river and discuss what they've learned so far and even consider settling in the area, a fitting conclusion to an era marked by beautiful new terrain. Cueball's discovery on his quest of signs of former habitation is also a nice foreshadowing of the dominant theme of the NEXT era, namely...

The Discovery Era. This era is defined geographically by their rejoining the river again and following alongside it, but more importantly it is defined thematically by their increasing awareness and knowledge of the diverse flora and fauna molpies of their world, as well as the former presence of other people. All throughout this period they are finding markings on Baobabs, little campsite areas, as well as vineyards next to larger former habitations. It ends with them contemplating the things they've discovered and lamenting what they haven't (namely, the reason for the rising of the sea) and then making yet another pivotal decision to alter their plans of crossing the river to further explore the coast and heading towards the mountains instead. It would be comprised of the Seventh Journey Period, the "Wow" Baobab period, Vineyard period, Questioning the Quest at the Abandoned Habitation, and Megan's Quest (concluding the era almost like an epilogue to the period before it).

Finally, while we don't know how long they'll be in the mountains, it looks like they will be for some time (especially since they are "farther away than they looked"). Regardless of how long, it is clear that this is distinctly another major shift for them (perhaps the biggest yet, actually) and thus I propose that the current period (thus far referred to as the "Eighth Journey Period") is in fact the first period of a fourth era within the Journey Eon. Don't yet know what this Era will be called, but that will probably reveal itself to us in Time (my money is on the "Mountain Era" if those prove to be the unifying defining feature, but there could be some plot curve-balls coming our way, so we shouldn't rush to name it yet).

So, to all of you who actually took the time to read all of that... what do you think? Any thoughts, complaints, comments, compliments, complements, questions, or animadversions? If I don't hear any major dissensions against the idea over the next few newpix, then I'll go ahead and reorganize the wiki accordingly.

TL;DR: TL;DR

thirds wrote:This is my prediction for the next ONG:

<futureONG>
</futureONG>

Close enough.

Eternal Density wrote:
mscha wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:Is there some kind of queue or mob for people requesting animated avatars? If so, I'd like to join such a group, as I'm not wholely satisfied with my current effort of sticking BlitzGirl's "small" bubble from the boomdeyadda onto my buffygirlhaberdashery avatar.

You call that asking nicely? You should take lessons from Valarya. Image
I made you one anyway, though:

Sorry, that was a mere expression of interest. I was going to ask properly after finding out if you were taking general requests.But thanks so much for doing such a quick and excellent job! :D

So it's time I made another creative contribution of my own:

(to be read in the voice of Jeff Bridges and accompanied by... well you should know.)

The Sea.
A sandy frontier.
I tried to picture creatures waiting for it as they moved through the newpix.
What do they look like?
Molpies, beesnakes.

With pretty neat rivers.
I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see.
And then, one day...
I fell in.

* starts humming

jolleychris wrote:This thread is fascinating, and I keep dipping into it whenever I can (and often loosing sleep as a result) but try as I may, it is beyond my capabilities to fully comprehend! Hats off to the religious communities that have sprung up around the One True Comic (I've also see the word loonies used more than once) and devoted themselves to protecting it, especially those who do so under the proviso that no one asks them to do anything.

Please excuse my well meant, though likely shamefully transparent attempts to demonstrate at least some high level understanding of the terminology used throughout this thread.. I feel a bit like i'm visiting France for the first time and out of politeness, feeling it necessary to fall back on my high school French skills, embarrassing and telling as they would have been.

Keep up the good work, even though I understand around 10% of what's going on here at most, I still find the scripture here entertaining, in the same way as trying to use your phone when some joker has kindly set all of the menus to a Chinese dialect is a good puzzle for an amount of time - probably not very long if you read Chinese! (Other languages are available, I just think that one looks and sounds the prettiest)

I havn't even figured out how to get notifications of replies or subsequent posts to this one, so it will probably be (new)Page 8XX by the time I return, and am unable to find this post again, as happened with my last post(s). I lack elite forum skillz*, clearly.

*yeah, I'm one of those long time xkcd lurkers who registered just to post here a few [insert bespoke OTC vocabulary for 'weeks' that I don't understand yet] ago, sorry :)

Welcome!
(other people have already said what I wanted to)
* smiles and waves
(btw, may I suggest the wiki)

partingLance wrote:At the risk of heresy, this may have gone too far (or I may have gone too far with it). Here in the Outside, I just said "Wait for it"... to a cat.

That's a shame. It could have been a squirrel.

*ding, dong*
*ding, dong*
*ding, dong*
Last edited by AluisioASG on Fri May 31, 2013 2:27 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

ergman

Postby ergman » Fri May 31, 2013 2:26 am UTC

jovialbard wrote:I still feel like it would be cool if the thread could be parsed into topics that could then be read separately as one pleases. That sounds really hard though. I think Kieryn and some of the other analysts do get kind of close to that with some of their word crunching...

Adding to the issues with that is the fact that all the subjects of the thread intermingle, due to its natural state as a veritable chat-with-a-log. Remember: you don't have to read everything, nor understand everything.

And the molpy of late is rather short and wide. I proclaim it to be a molpancake, until further notice.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri May 31, 2013 2:27 am UTC

Just got ninja'd in the preview, but here goes anyway:
jovialbard wrote:I still feel like it would be cool if the thread could be parsed into topics that could then be read separately as one pleases. That sounds really hard though. I think Kieryn and some of the other analysts do get kind of close to that with some of their word crunching...

You have a strange definition of cool. :wink: I don't know if it's even possible to split this thread into separate topics anymore, considering how many posters address five or six topics in a single ketchup post these days. Plus, it's ALL related. To bring up a recent example, one might think the idea of talking about the posters on this thread as a cave-dwelling tribe is completely off-topic, but then somebody brings up Plato's Parable of the Cave where a captive audience must watch a parade of silhouettes projected on the wall before them, and suddenly it's back to the comic again, where Randall shows us a world portrayed only in silhouette, and perhaps this is a deliberate nod to that allegory (or completely not). Our topics intermingle quite frequently, ebbing and flowing like the Sea1, branching like the limbs of a Tree3, and also merging like the water of stray streams meeting the River2.

Plus, hacking up the OTT might mean hacking up our generally good-natured community, and we'd end up like the Other poor souls wandering amid the lonely threads in the Individual (Other)Comics Section. That's a fate worse than mustard.

3neat
like the Future
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri May 31, 2013 2:33 am UTC

jolleychris wrote:[lots of stuff, here]
That was one of the most entertaining posts I've read, especially from a newbie! You'll fit in well here. Yes, it is a bit crazy; I see you've found the wiki, it's far from complete but it has some of the elements of the OTC as well as the OTT.

This is the most focused discussion of the OTC that exists. There are many reasons for that, but the one that would make most sense to a newcomer with that question is that the comic itself is quite enigmatic. It's not so well defined, like his other comics, so, nobody really knows what to focus discussion on. Randall, the 1One True Author, has in essence created a new art form, and we are here at its birth. As a side effect (which has become the main effect), the OTA1 has created a community.

It is arguably true that xkcd itself, as a whole, has created a community, but this is true in the same way that other web communities exist. However, the exceptionally vibrant community centered around comic 1190 is "different in a different way". There are several reasons for this, some of which are historical accidents, and some of which are (in retrospect) probably inevitiable. Rather than speculate on why (I do have ideas, but they ultimately don't really matter), I will share one thing - that modern art may have more to it than I give it credit for.

There are lots of dumb things that parade around as art these days. I'll be happy to laugh at them with you, having seen my share of "art experiences" that I had no patience for. Were I to describe a full length motion picture delivered one frame at a time as "exciting, avant-garde, deep, and meaningful" I would laugh at myself as I moved on to the next video art exhibit to make fun of. But, the truth turns out to be that in some cases, if you actually allow yourself to experience what the artist intended, you will be richly rewarded. Such is the case here.

There are several websites which allow you to peruse the OTC rapidly, like a flipbook. The experience is not the same at all as when you are waiting for the next frame, wondering what is coming next, and are denied that fulfillment for an hour, or even with multiple frames of "nothing happening", for a full day or more. And the experience is not the same as simply watching the flipbook slower. That's like watching a baseball game on the VCR, by yourself, after you already know the score and seen the best plays on the evening news.

However, in real time it is quite different, and the thread captures the real-time thoughts of those who were there at the moment. Reading the thread (all frames are included in the thread, though every now and then there are a few peeks at whatever the actual present frame is - we're trying to fix that) is actually a very good way to experience the One True Comic, Time, in its own time.

It does require a commitment of time, and a willingness to forgo the present Time. This is what BlitzGirl pioneered, and we have since had quite a few people follow in her footsteps. If you truly want to understand why we are here, that is one way to gain enlightenment.

Or, you can just jump into the Present, flipping through the book of Aubron for a bit of context, and over the course of the next few wips, you will pick up what you need to know, and become one of the enlightened. It may be that some time in the future, you will understand the deep Chasm in your soul, and need to drink from the River of Time until it is sated. This is a most Glorious Quest, with deep personal significance. You would become a BlitzGirl the Next, one of the highest honors that can be conferred.

Either way you go, we welcome you with open arms. Just beware of the molpys. They look friendly, but you never know!

jolleychris wrote:I havn't even figured out how to get notifications of replies or subsequent posts to this one, so it will probably be (new)Page 8XX by the time I return, and am unable to find this post again, as happened with my last post(s). I lack elite forum skillz*, clearly.
There is a way to be notified if people respond to your post (or to the thread, I'm not sure which). I won't tell you, because it's useless in this thread (you'll either get an email ever ten minutes, or you'll miss people who respond to you without quoting - the thread moves far too fast!). If you really want to know for other threads, ask again. :)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri May 31, 2013 2:35 am UTC

Agree with ergman and BlitzGirl, I much prefer this place a little chaotic, all part of its charm ;)
And thanks AluisioASG for reminding me of the wonderful creepiness and mystery that is numbers stations...

StratPlayer wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:New song parody time! And I've come over all punk for this one!
Spoiler:
Just a disclaimer: it's absolutely NOT referring to anyone real at all, or a stab at blitzing generally, it's entirely a hypothetical story - the original song comes from a parody concept album about a death metal band that sells out and starts playing pop punk to make more money, and the song "Fake Punk" talks about how they're not really punk at heart, as much as they try to look it. I thought it would be funny to turn it into a hypothetical story about a timewaiter who doesn't really want to blitz the thread but does it anyway thinking it'll gain him more respect in the community. But remember, completely hypothetical, nothing against any of our actual blitzers! (See avatar, I love you!)

"Fake Blitz"
(Based on "Fake Punk" by Devin Townsend, under the Punky Brüster alias)
This here's a song about the things you don't find in the Outside
This here's a tale about conditions of the head
At one time I wanted to just stick around the present
But I'll get more respect if I go read through the whole thread

So I'm on a fake blitz! On a fake blitz!

I've never had interest in whatever lies behind us
It doesn't really matter if I know this stuff or not
But just look how everybody honours those like BlitzGirl
So I'll just carry on and trudge through newpages a lot

I'd be alright if I could just hang out in the future
I'd be just fine if the whole past just went away
And maybe when I come back I'll prepare a present present
But when it comes to sincere ketchup you can just
Leave me the f*ck alone!

On a fake blitz! On a fake blitz!

That's a great parody -- too funny!!!! :lol: But umm -- I AM on a totally legit, non-sellout, real-hardcore, read-it-all, ketchup blitz.... Just sayin'... :wink: :P :lol:

Thanks :D. Randallspeed on the last leg of your quest. Good job on staying hardcore and non-sellout ;)
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

jjjdavidson

Postby jjjdavidson » Fri May 31, 2013 2:42 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Just got ninja'd in the preview, but here goes anyway:

You have a strange definition of cool. :wink: I don't know if it's even possible to split this thread into separate topics anymore, considering how many posters address five or six topics in a single ketchup post these days. Plus, it's ALL related. To bring up a recent example, one might think the idea of talking about the posters on this thread as a cave-dwelling tribe is completely off-topic, but then somebody brings up Plato's Parable of the Cave where a captive audience must watch a parade of silhouettes projected on the wall before them, and suddenly it's back to the comic again, where Randall shows us a world portrayed only in silhouette, and perhaps this is a deliberate nod to that allegory (or completely not). Our topics intermingle quite frequently, ebbing and flowing like the Sea1, branching like the limbs of a Tree3, and also merging like the water of stray streams meeting the River2.

Plus, hacking up the OTT might mean hacking up our generally good-natured community, and we'd end up like the Other poor souls wandering amid the lonely threads in the Individual (Other)Comics Section. That's a fate worse than mustard.

3neat
like the Future

Hear, hear! I've already commented on how knotted the narrative flow has become; I don't think it's possible to separate this thread by topic without breaking innumerable oblique links.

Besides, no one would understand BlitzGirl's Boom De Yada comics any more, much less whoever it was (sorry, I've forgotten) who was doing his blitzposts in comic form.
Don't wait for me.
He won! He won! He won!

partingLance

Postby partingLance » Fri May 31, 2013 2:47 am UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:

In the [heretical] Outside [/heretical] I have been trying to teach the art of "Wait for it" to my cats. It is not going well. They still demand that I wake and feed them when the sun rises (which is well before my alarm goes off) and when I come home, and once again before I coma. I fear that they are not meant to be converts to the OTC and the "wait for it" philosophical teachings of the OTT.

I'm a little disappointed with the results thus far.

Oh, by no means would I attempt to train these silly-ass cats house molpies in the understanding and application of the First and Greatest Commandment. One's well past middle age and, it seems, more than usually set in her ways; the other's not that far past kittenhood and, though placid, also shows signs of flakiness.

StratPlayer wrote:
partingLance wrote:
Spoiler:
StratPlayer wrote:
partingLance wrote:
taixzo wrote:Megan's gONG...

Any Tom Robinson fans on the OTT? Even if so, no TRB filks yet, I'll wager. And with that....

Now Megan's Gone
Megan's gone... Megan's gone
Thing will never the same again
Now Megan's gone

I told the beach and the rising Sea
Our small River wouldn't answer me
I told the mustard, and I told the old tents
I told the molpy and the berry fence
I told the baobabs, told 'em just because
I'd tell La Petite if I knew where she was
I told everything in the world I knew
Would the people up the River know what to do...?

[chorus] Megan's gone... Megan's gone (etc.)

I told the camp sites and acacia trees
I got down and told them on my knees
I told the Time Flies and the raptors too
I said oh my and-uh, boo-hoo
I told the dunes and I told the flood plains
What's she gonna do when it starts to rain?
I wish I was back in familiar haunts
She's like the Sea, she does what she wants...

[chorus] Megan's gone... Megan's gone (etc., etc....).

ETA: 'Ray to BlitzGirl for "Don't Worry, Feed Squirpys," and to rule110 for "Madagascarville" -- most excellent, both!

ETA2: My username is a variation on one I had for a long time on another forum. No real resemblence to the movie character -- I'm not a surfer (alas), and have never had occasion to work a forward .50 (thankfully).

Uhhh, I might lose any marginal semblance of music cred I may have been clinging to, but, ummm, I've never hear of Tom Robinson. I keep thinking of an old Byrds tune about "old John Robinson, he wore a Stetson hat" but I'm willing to wager that's not who you meant. Still, I don't know how your original tune is supposed to go. I look at the title and I hear "She's Gone" by Hall and Oates. Again -- likely not what you meant. :wink: But I do like the lyrics very much, so based on the wording, rhyme, and meter I give this a hearty "Huzzah!" :D

Thanks! As for Tom Robinson: not to worry about cred, he was never that big in North America, I guess. If you go to YouTube and search using his name and "Now Martin's Gone," you'll find at least one "video" (for which read: a still of the single sleeve, with the music).

Two things: one, this was far from being his best song (I'd have said that was "Power In The Darkness," or maybe "2-4-6-8 Motorway"). Two: man, does it ever have an 80s sound, and not in a good way. I'm fairly sure I hadn't heard it, from then to now.

But past all that: in the fourth line of (my) second verse, there's a reference to a very different artist. Any guesses?

I checked out the videos and "Martin's Gone" is pretty good, but you're definitely right about the 80's synth-drum thing going on. "Power in the Darkness" is much better -- funkier and a much better groove. I liked that a lot! "2-4-6-8 Motorway" I've heard before and liked but had no idea who the band was. Much more guitar-based rock instead of 80's cheesy synth, which is always my preference. :mrgreen: And in case no-one else has answered your question -- that's a lift from some very old Iggy Pop and the Stooges, of course! But then I grew up in Michigan, so I've got regional bias working for me in recognizing them. :wink:

Quite -- as old as it gets (from their very first LP). I was going to be pendanticY, and insist that ol' Jim was Iggy Stooge at least until the Stooges' 1974 breakupZ, and Iggy Pop only thereafter, as a solo performer.

But If I can believe the IntraToobz, he'd "created the 'Iggy Pop' persona" before recording the first album, but "much to his displeasure," he was billed as Iggy Stooge for the first two albums. Huh. Woddya know about that?A

Y And therefore to contradict anything either Iggy or the other Stooges might ever have stood for, if they ever stood for anything except for gutbucket rock 'n' roll of truly savage intensity.
Z One has to be specific -- I do believe they'd broken up at least once before then, maybe twice. And I don't think they reformed until 2002? 2003? Something like that.
A Record companies! (at least, in their glory days. How the mighty have fallen, eh?). Woddya gonna do? Around 1990, I read an interview with Iggy in which he said that he'd got his first Stooges royalty check just that year. Though it can't be denied that the Stooges were hardly a commercial smash in their day, any more than were the Velvets, for example.

Ace

Postby Ace » Fri May 31, 2013 2:48 am UTC

Sciscitor wrote:Update from my new project: It did not turn out just as I imagined it, but due to Outside restrictions I will have to leave it at that for some Time now. There are some avatars missing and some are stale, and I am not entirely content with the way some of them are scaled. However, those without an avatar are mentioned in randomly coloured rectangles, their name spelled out in xkcd font.
As it became my custom with such images, there is a huge version of them as well.

If someone wants to turn this thing into a clickable map, I could provide any image size and a corresponding JSON dataset with coordinates, names and/or user ids.

On another note: Looks like I would be the one who paints the walls of the caves, depicting the life and history of the tribe...

Aww, I'm not on there. (Or it missed my avatar, I can't read the text in the bottom corner.) What does this image signify? Number of posts in the OTT, or something else?

EDIT: 750, my very first page topper, neat.
Wait for it.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Fri May 31, 2013 2:49 am UTC

Blitzposting before I coma.

Spoiler:
I waited through 114 newpages this time; if I continue at this rate, I should be caught up in around 96 newpix.

I encountered the first posts from BlitzGirl, she who I am emulating in my quest. I may have more pages to go through, but I can tell the rate of posting in the Present is slower than back here in the Past, so perhaps my goal is attainable.

I learned that the Knights Temporal were almost named the Knights Watch - everyone was in favor of that until:
jjjdavidson wrote:
elementropy wrote:Also, from a few pages ago, why not "Knights Timeplar" ?

Has no one yet suggested "Knights Temporal"?

There was much discussion of dimensionality, and whether the comic represented Flatland; however, I am surprised nobody brought up A. K. Dewdney's Planiversal Machines which can function in 2-D.

And, because I ended on Pi Page, I thought I'd end with a quote from earlier about pie:

Dracomax wrote:
Exodies wrote:
cellocgw wrote:
mojacardave wrote:
Exodies wrote:Bit of out-of-Time gossip: I ordered some photochromatic jazz sunglasses today. They become more translucent the more light there is. It's like a hipness amplifier.

It may be that I've missed the joke, but based on my understanding of what translucent means, 'more translucent' surely doesn't make sense.
More transparent or more opaque, sure, but translucent is somewhere in the middle...

Boring reality from an optical engineer: 'translucent' refers to a material which passes light but does not maintain phase or propagation angle, such as frosted glass. Translucent materials can have a range of absorption (or throughput) values, just as partially transparent materials can. The difference is that transparent materials do not foul up the wavefront. A lens can bend the wavefront (e.g. bring it to focus) but does not cause random scatter. So, yeah, translucent sunglasses would be a bad idea if you want to see where you're going.

Y'all go on as if words have meanings other than those the speaker wants them to have. Let me put it another way: the glasses let less light through the less light there is. Now do you see the futility of it? Good.
Don't they sound wonderful?

I get what you are saying, but..."words have meanings other than those the speaker wants them to have" is kind of the basis of communication. otherwise, 'Nazi spoonfish eagle chittering' is just a valid sentence asking for pie, because that's what I want it to mean.

Words have no inherent meaning. money has no inherent value. Both are defined by what the consensus agrees them to be. In the case of words, this is codified in dictionaries.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Fri May 31, 2013 2:54 am UTC

Chaotic Pile of Ketchup (vol 16)

Spoiler:

"Fries anyone? Ketchup crash snarls traffic in Nevada"

..another entry of assorted past-post replies as I ketchup, now from 11 NPs in the past...

Kieryn wrote:A very sad and lonely post...
Kieryn wrote:Two youtube clips:

Spoiler:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYNJwpHWsBg
Is this the one direction where the OTC is heading?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn3ogzLzxuM
ETA: It's all related.

And some cake:

Nobody noticed my 400th post and the cake i left there. I guess I should not have spoilered it. :cry:
Also, I must implore my fellow data-freaks to check out that 2nd video... the visualization concepts are very similar to Scisitor's work with posts and quotes on the OTT.]

I've seen this, even if I didn't reply to your original post (sorry!!!) I did laugh at the One Direction pseudo-Chinese dubbing, and especially liked the second video -- very cool! And also a belated "Happy 400th!!!" :D :D :D

Febrion wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:...and thus ends volume 8, and I've gained only 1 NP of progress -- 13 NP's still to go. But this has given me a LOT of appreciation for both how much incredible content is actually put into the OTT (there's just so MUCH excellent stuff to comment on), and how hard true Blitzers have to work to really see all of the OTT in detail...

And this is exactly why it's so hard for us to just skip to the present after any absence - there's a lot of content in here, more so than in a typical thread for sure. I had to skim through several dozen pages after the holiday weekend, and even that was difficult - I'm sure I missed quite a bit, all the while wondering 'I wonder what's going on "Right Now"'

Also, to those of you who feel like your posts are ignored, don't forget the Ketchup Knights - some will bring forward something entertaining they see, while others just smile, nod, and continue their blitz. If these people were ignoring the posts, they would have just saved the effort and skipped to the present.

Excellent thoughts, Febrion! I also absolutely agree. Plus now, in addition to a Temporal Knight, I'm a Ketchup Knight, too? Cool! I like that. 8-)

Qalyar wrote:So, I've been exploring the possibility of the OTC taking place in Cassinite Madagascar in more detail.
Spoiler:
In order to not confuse people, unannotated cardinal directions refer to real-world Madagascar; Cassinite directions are marked with a subscript c.

Based on what we know so far, the most likely scenario given that assumption is that Cuegan's journey began on the beaches south (eastc) of Morondava, Madagascar. They traveled south (eastc) down the beach. There is very little in the way of human impact to encounter along the way, just a handful of small, isolated villages that, depending on their exact route, they may have missed entirely. The most likely river to be the OTC river is the Mangoky, which does have a large terminal delta similar to what we saw in the OTC. The Mangoky is also a fairly fast-moving river, especially upstream from the delta, and not at all the sort of thing one would wisely go swimming in.

Turning left, they then walked more or less alongside the Mangoky, going southeast (northwestc), then east (northc) along the river. Especially for a river its size, there is surprisingly little civilization on the banks of the Mangoky. The suspiciously flat patch of ground they walked over at one point may have been one of the few exceptions: a road, Madagascar Route 9, just south (eastc) of Ankiliabo. The bit where they had to go around difficult terrain is a relatively steep-walled valley where the Mangoky cuts through an isolated section of mountainous terrain between its confluences with the Sikily and Sakanavaka Rivers (both of which meet the Mangoky on the opposite side from where Cuegan are walking). That would make place them currently in the hilly terrain west (southc) of the commune of Beroroha. The real mountains are on the other side of the commune, the broken escarpments of the Madagascar Central Uplift. I suppose it should be noted that, if this theory is correct, that squirrelpy was really a lemurpy...

I think it's reasonable to assume Cuegan aren't natives. Perhaps they were tourists? The beach at Morondava gets great tourism reviews! This might explain their lack of area knowledge. What bits of information they seem to have gleaned about their surroundings would fit this scenario, too. The "hill people" upstream from Morondava would be ethnic Sakalava, while the area they would be in now is populated by the Bara people. Even their strange reactions to sea level rise might make sense if this world was originally Earth, and was subjected to the Cassini rotation in the relatively recent past; even if they have some knowledge of reality, no one sane would guess that sea level rise was caused by the catastrophic melting of neotropical Antarctica!

This theory, likely to be branded the "Cassinite Heresy", I am certain, does leave a few questions unanswered.
Spoiler:
For one, where are all the people? Even if they've avoided civilization since leaving, Morondava's not a small place (population ~70,000). Perhaps this is a consequence of whatever caused the Cassini rotation? In any case, the one other person we've seen seems to show French cultural influences, which would be appropriate for Madagascar as well. Another problem is the situation for any of the rivers except the one they have walked along. In our world, the Morondava River has no problem reaching the sea, and neither do the Maharivo, Lampaolo, or Maintapaka Rivers that they would have encountered before reaching the Mangoky. I posit this as the Riverine Paradox, but do not think it is an insurmountable challenge to the proposal, which otherwise satisfies both botanical and geographical evidence and provides a catastrophic global change in the recent past to explain some of the post-apocalyptical aspects of the OTC.

Hmmmm.... You've put a lot of thought into your heretical theory, and I respect your opinion, but I'm afraid I remain a "Randallverse-ist" -- the OTC is taking place in a location only of the GLR's making, and any semblance to real locations (Cassini-fied or not), is purely arbitrary and whimsical, intended only to confuse and/or amuse.

Kieryn wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:Awesome!!! Wonderful, Laura Mae June Bug!!! :D And don't tell my wife, but I want to marry you, too! :wink:

lmjb1964 wrote:StratPlayer, I think I want to marry you. (Hopefully you're not in high school like HAL9000, since that would be creepy).

Awww is this our first official unofficial OTT couple? All the love on this thread is inspiring.

Well, actually, the first case of professed love for another poster in the OTT was posted way back on NewPage 31 by our old original Pope Helper:
Helper wrote:
Beidah wrote:Dawn of the 3rd Day.

24 hours remaining.

I love you. Also, it feels like 21/12/12 all over again.

It's been a love-filled thread ever since the beginning... :D

Angelastic wrote:I think the recent comments on the sun are either:

1) GLR saying, 'Have you figured out the real world location of this comic yet? Here's a clue that should make it blatantly obvious that's what you're supposed to do, and give you the last bit of information you need to work it out.'

2) An observation which clueless Cuegan will later use to figure out things about the world (e.g. how the position of these points on the planet relate to that of the Sun.)

If (1), I think it's clear they passed the Avenue of the Baobabs, given that there was even that crooked baobab there, but does the rest of their journey fit with that?

Or (3): Just more goofy shit to put into the OTC in order that the GLR might mess with our heads in yet another way. Because, you know, it's both fun and funny. And this is a web comic after all. :wink:

...and thus ends volume 16 and my ketchupping for tonight -- off to coma. I'm 9 NPs behind now, but will surely be more by the next time I can post sometime tomorrow afternoon...
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”