1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Vytron » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:16 pm UTC

Jose, I just read your Chapter 80. Great stuff, keep it up! :)
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

THANKS KARHELL!! :)

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:26 pm UTC

Wiki-Questing Time

I think it is quite safe to say that the "Snake!" period has now ended. I want to place the final frame of the period at 1765, which would mean the period would include the snake encounter itself, and the slice frames where they go around to avoid the snake, Megan's confirmation of "No snakes" and then through them leaving that scenery shot. (I included those bits post actual snake encounter as they are still directly related to the encounter itself and therefore seem to fit in being placed in the period).

Trying if their subsequent hike up higher and glance back towards the sea should constitute a period in and of itself, or merely an interesting piece within another journey period. My gut tells me to wait a bit longer and see where they go next and then the period will probably define itself for us, as they tend to do, but maybe we already could consider the "Look Back" enough of a significant episode to already canonize it as a period (I'm leaning towards no, based on precedent of similar conversations mid-journey not necessarily getting their own periods without also including a full rest by Cuegan).

Also, I was just about ready to officially title the current era (still unnamed) the "Mountain Era," but now it seems like maybe they are only in the low foothills, not necessarily the actual mountains yet, so... while I still think this will prove to be the Mountain Era, I'm going to hold off just a bit longer...

Any input, thoughts, or commentary on these proposals before I change things on the Wiki?
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:32 pm UTC

kenmelken wrote:@SBN & jjjdavidson:
Ahh. Duh. Cross-cut saws. Now I feel kinda dumb, as I guess that's pretty obvious. Kay. Thanks for the reminder. :) I knew there had to be something obvious I wasn't thinking of.

Oh, and @azule and pikrass: Valarya and I will continue to fight the good fight against the defamation of spider-molpies large and small! ;)

Well, it's not that I don't like spiders. In fact, I often find them funny. But in my clothes or on my arm, they're just... not as funny.
That's always better than bed bugs I guess.

Sciscitor wrote:
Spoiler:
kenmelken wrote:I'm not particularly experienced in tree-felling, but that tree stump far right keeps intriguing me. Someone earlier mentioned possibility of a chainsaw used to cut it down. Seems to me that's about the only way you'd see a stump like that, so smooth. Am I wrong (I hope so)? Anyone know how else you'd cut a tree down to leave a stump that looks like that?

I did fell some trees in my life and in my experience, if it is done right, the stump should rather look like this:
path2985.png

Here you can see it in a real life image:

Of course I don't know how much knowledge Randall has about tree felling.

Are you implying the OTGLR doesn't know everything about its world? Heretic! You shall be burried for the eternity under a sandcastle, along with large quantities of the sweetest chocolate you can find in the OTC Wide World!

kenmelken wrote:
Spoiler:
StratPlayer wrote:A thought:

That might not be a stump. Given the Africanistic setting, it might be this:

An African termite mound???

And thanks, SBN and Kenmelken! (and there's nothing wrong with spiders... I just prefer to keep my distance. :wink: )

Ooh! Termite mound! That's actually a viable food source if they're hungry. They taste like mint and carrots.

Edit: Admittedly, I've only ever tried Central American termites, not African ones. Don't know if they are as tasty.

That reminds me of these green ants that taste like lemon. If I'm ever lost in a jungle and I have to eat insects to survive, these would clearly have my preference.
Last edited by Pikrass on Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:13 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:38 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
azule wrote:La Petite More:
<snip>
*filked korn* *chills*

Awesomeful! :D

I wonder, will Cuegan ever see any wildlife bigger than themselves? Like a molpydeer or a grizzlymolp. Or a raptorraptor.

Or two Molpydeer.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:56 pm UTC

Pikrass wrote:
kenmelken wrote:
Spoiler:
@SBN & jjjdavidson:
Ahh. Duh. Cross-cut saws. Now I feel kinda dumb, as I guess that's pretty obvious. Kay. Thanks for the reminder. :) I knew there had to be something obvious I wasn't thinking of.

Oh, and @azule and pikrass: Valarya and I will continue to fight the good fight against the defamation of spider-molpies large and small! ;)

Well, it's not that I don't like spiders. In fact, I often find them funny. But in my clothes on in my arm, they're just... not as funny.
That's always better than bed bugs I guess.

Agreed! Especially since I quite allergic to bed bug bites. I hope nobody else here ever has to discover whether or not they are allergic to bed bugs... Not my favorite life experience.

Pikrass wrote:
kenmelken wrote:
Spoiler:

And thanks, SBN and Kenmelken! (and there's nothing wrong with spiders... I just prefer to keep my distance. :wink: )

Ooh! Termite mound! That's actually a viable food source if they're hungry. They taste like mint and carrots.

Edit: Admittedly, I've only ever tried Central American termites, not African ones. Don't know if they are as tasty.

That reminds me of these green ants that taste like lemon. If I'm ever lost in a jungle and I have to eat insects to survive, these would clearly have my preference.

Sweet! I'll have to try those some time. :P Where were they from?

Gotta love all our arthropod discussions today!
(Entomology Man would be so proud of us!)
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:00 pm UTC

moving-ONG

Another stumpy or 3
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:09 pm UTC

kenmelken wrote:Curious Megan wonders if it's a stump or a terMONG-molpy mound

Megan thinks: why are they all so interested in a cardboard box with a broken candelabra in it?
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

thirds

Postby thirds » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:13 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:moving-ONG

Another stumpy or 3

Those are looking more like termite molpymounds

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:19 pm UTC

Not pointy enough to be the work of beaverpys or molpyvers. Too bad.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:22 pm UTC

Spoiler:

Another stumpy or 3

*sigh* I leave the cave to go to work and I come back and now we have potatoes and tree stumps and I am missing it all. And now there would appear to be evidence of deforestation. Perhaps that is where some of the larger campfires obtained their longer spars? 'Tis a shame. I image such clear cutting may result in a further absence of molpies or various kinds.

On a personal note, the other yesterdix, whilst in the garden, my wife came inside because of a snake. We live very near to a lake so moccasins are always a concern. I went out and found the snake only to speak, "Oh, don't worry, it's just a ribbon molpysnake, probably looking for molpies." She had not heard (or she did but did not understand what I meant) so I repeated, "Oh, just a ribbon snake, looking for moles or mice or something." Later, we went for a walk in a nearby state park. Passing by the Osprey nest, I looked up and spoke, "Oh look! There are two fledgling Time-Rap...er...Ospreys!" :oops:
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:25 pm UTC

I'm definitely in the termolpy mound camp.
Edit: would a single termolpy even be visible on the OTC? Maybe a single pixel darkening by #010101?
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:28 pm UTC

thirds wrote:
Spoiler:

Another stumpy or 3

Those are looking more like termite molpymounds

I think I'll be more convinced if they find some that are more than ~1q tall.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:29 pm UTC

As I think has been pretty clear over the last NP or two, I would absolutely LOVE it to be termolpies... but... I just don't think so. =/

Those definitely look like stumps, the way they are so smooth along the sides, and with tops that look like they've been cut (the first one in the previous frame with a saw, the first one here looking more axed, and the smaller ones able to be interpreted either way).

I say this fits well with the other signs of habitation they passed before, another clue in the puzzle of the people who lived in the area previously.

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:41 pm UTC

kenmelken wrote:As I think has been pretty clear over the last NP or two, I would absolutely LOVE it to be termolpies... but... I just don't think so. =/

Those definitely look like stumps, the way they are so smooth along the sides, and with tops that look like they've been cut (the first one in the previous frame with a saw, the first one here looking more axed, and the smaller ones able to be interpreted either way).

I say this fits well with the other signs of habitation they passed before, another clue in the puzzle of the people who lived in the area previously.

Thinking about it a bit more, I agree that these are tree stumps. The one on the left of the new frame clearly shows indications of a hinge from when it was felled. Although, I think the one in the last frame could be from any type of saw since we could be viewing it from near the fall line. Excessive logging would explain the absence of older trees here and would fit in with the Madagascar theme as they have a serious deforestation problem.

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:42 pm UTC

kenmelken wrote:I think it is quite safe to say that the "Snake!" period has now ended. I want to place the final frame of the period at 1765, which would mean the period would include the snake encounter itself, and the slice frames where they go around to avoid the snake, Megan's confirmation of "No snakes" and then through them leaving that scenery shot.
I agree.

kenmelken wrote:Trying if their subsequent hike up higher and glance back towards the sea should constitute a period in and of itself, or merely an interesting piece within another journey period.
The latter. Nothing of significance (to them) came from the lookback. It may be in retrospect the start of something, but I lean towards the First Commandment here. There have been many look-backs.

We don't know what the mountains are yet. I would say it's premature to name any era the Mountain Era until we know we are in the mountains.

thirds wrote:Those are looking more like termite molpymounds
You think? They look more like stumps to me, especially the thin ones. Are there beesnakes above that first one in the new frame? Would termolpies invite beesnakes?

We have reason to believe in people and treecutting. We have no reason to believe in termolpies.

Of course, that's precisely why they must exist!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

shurikt

Postby shurikt » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:45 pm UTC

Yet another faction split: the stumpists and the termolpists!

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:48 pm UTC

shurikt wrote:Yet another faction split: the stumpists and the termolpists!

I think you'll find that this split is along the same lines as the madagascarists vs. the general africanists

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:53 pm UTC

slinches wrote:

I think you'll find that this split is along the same lines as the madagascarists vs. the general africanists

What about the Antarctica-ists?
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:54 pm UTC

Dinner time, lemme just grab some Frank's and get comfortable

StormAngel said: Despite my vow of silence@, I have still been reading this needle-pulled thing occasionally, although I'm sure I have missed quite alot too.
:D There's an alot of shrub quite near here, but it's by a fast road so I can never get a proper picture of it.

I wrote: I disagree that it is possible for us to utterly understand the universe <snip>
astrocub wrote: I loved this comment (not just because it's practically straight from a thesis paper I wrote for a cosmology course, but because it really captures my relationship to this.

Thank you, is it really that similar to your thesis paper? Great minds!

I loooove lil jumping spiders with drops of dew on their heads! I think I just exploded from cuteoverload. I saw the teeniest jumping spider on my porch today and I actually got down on my hands and knees and followed it around for 10 [heresy] minutes. [/heresy] I think I have a problem.
Nah. No worse than my addiction to babies, anyway. Um. Actually, people do sometimes tell me I have a problem there. :oops: ...Isn't it strange how they never have adorable little non-mammal pictures on CuteOverload? Silly peoples.

More synesthesia talk, off-topic since we haven't found how it's related yet:
Spoiler:
Ergman wrote: in the vein of the photic sneezing conversation, which I think originated with synesthesia, Alchohol tastes purple to me, and certain cough medicine tastes blue. The latter association could be due to packaging color or something but I can't think of any good reason why I consider alcohol purple. That's just the way my brain works, I guess.
My youngest daughter and I share the taste-color synesthesia along with scent-color; we also associate pain with colors, which is very helpful sometimes. There's been research (nice write-up here http://inkfish.fieldofscience.com/2013/01/11-people-trace-synesthesia-to-one-set.html?m=1) indicating that symbol-color synesthesia for some people agrees with the Fisher-Price magnetic alphabet set, very cool. My take is that whoever decided on the colors of the magnet set probably shared that common synesthesia.

All right, what's going on up there? I've slipped another newpage behind! Ah, well, it'll have to Wait...
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:55 pm UTC

I wonder how independent these faction splits are... would the Madagascarites be more likely to stump for termolpists (which I keep wanting to read as "termopolists", which would, I suppose, be those who are in favor of monopolies on terminators), or would they rather stand up for stumpists (which I now want to read as "strumpets", which would, of course, be domesticated animals who play guitar).

Oh, and welcome shurikt!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

thirds

Postby thirds » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:56 pm UTC

I mite be stumped.

shurikt

Postby shurikt » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:57 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
Spoiler:
slinches wrote:

Or the Puertoricoists?

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:58 pm UTC

thirds wrote:

I mite be stumped.

I saw what you did there.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:59 pm UTC

BlueCrab wrote:symbol-color synesthesia for some people agrees with the Fisher-Price magnetic alphabet set, very cool. My take is that whoever decided on the colors of the magnet set probably shared that common synesthesia.
... or that synesthesia is a learned response from an early age, at least in some cases.

fhorn wrote:I saw what you did there.
You're such a cut-up!

Jose

thirds

Postby thirds » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:01 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:
thirds wrote:

I mite be stumped.

I axe you, wood it be safe to say opinion is split?

edit: that's quite enough of that.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:02 pm UTC

Pikrass wrote:
kenmelken wrote:
Spoiler:

So far, I only tasted the green ants (Oecophylla smaragdina); they were tasty. But the termites sound good, too. Is this a certain species of termites that tastes like mint and carrots, or several species of one or more genera?
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:05 pm UTC

DOUBLEPOSTBECAUSEOFTHEONG...

ETA1: I hope I did this correctly here. I know that I'm allowed to double-post if my previous comment is before the ONG, and that I should edit my ONG-post if I want to comment it afterwards. But what is the best thing to do if I post some thoughts first, and I then see that the ONG hasn't been posted yet?
I'm just looking for a short answer, I don't want to bring this discussion up again. I was just lacking a guideline for my case...
ETA2: edited to mark first edit
Last edited by ZoomanSP on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:15 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

ergman

Postby ergman » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:13 pm UTC

Regarding Synasthesia, pet spiders, and insect snacks:

Is it just me, or do we have an unusually large number of people for all of these seemingly uncommon things?
It was baffling to me to read a comment about which kind of spiders they owned, being replied to by many other people talking about their spiders. At least in my region of the outside, pet spiders and bug consumption are not something you see everyday. Is this a real thing I'm noticing here, or one of those 'There aren't more of them, you just notice them now that you're looking for trends' thing?
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

thirds

Postby thirds » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:19 pm UTC

I submit to you, the magnetic termite mounds of Northern Australia, where there also just happen to be Australia's only baobab species. Granted the baobab is slightly different than what we saw in the OTC. Contrarily, note the trees in the background of the last photo here, from Africa and compare to the OTC mediumtrees.

edit: this one, contrary to my suggestion is in Africa:
Last edited by thirds on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:23 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:22 pm UTC

Vytron wrote:<snip>Did you think I was a girl? The hat looks kind of... feminine. At least, it's a hat I wouldn't let other people seeing me with IRL in public :mrgreen: <smip>

Nope, it's irrelevant. The femininity or masculinity of a forum member had little bearing upon the hat that was bestowed. I tended to be partial to female hats overall, possibly due to the fact that there is more variety, but also because they tend to be sillier. Silly is good.

ucim wrote:
Spoiler:
kenmelken wrote:I think it is quite safe to say that the "Snake!" period has now ended. I want to place the final frame of the period at 1765, which would mean the period would include the snake encounter itself, and the slice frames where they go around to avoid the snake, Megan's confirmation of "No snakes" and then through them leaving that scenery shot.
I agree.
kenmelken wrote:Trying if their subsequent hike up higher and glance back towards the sea should constitute a period in and of itself, or merely an interesting piece within another journey period.
The latter. Nothing of significance (to them) came from the lookback. It may be in retrospect the start of something, but I lean towards the First Commandment here. There have been many look-backs.

We don't know what the mountains are yet. I would say it's premature to name any era the Mountain Era until we know we are in the mountains.

Chiming in, I say that periods/eras etc. probably shouldn't be named until a goodly time after they have occurred, where we can see a clear beginning and end. But that's just me.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:24 pm UTC

ergman wrote:Regarding Synasthesia, pet spiders, and insect snacks:

Is it just me, or do we have an unusually large number of people for all of these seemingly uncommon things?
It was baffling to me to read a comment about which kind of spiders they owned, being replied to by many other people talking about their spiders. At least in my region of the outside, pet spiders and bug consumption are not something you see everyday. Is this a real thing I'm noticing here, or one of those 'There aren't more of them, you just notice them now that you're looking for trends' thing?

I think it's just ALL related.

Also, we have an unusually large number of scientifically-minded folks here who are less likely to be squeamish about the creepy crawlies.

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:24 pm UTC

- Blindpost -

Is it odd that I feel disappointed that the molpy appearing on the OTC wasn't called a molphyton but just a "snake" instead of being happy that a molpy appeared and was named in the OTC? :?
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

THANKS KARHELL!! :)

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:25 pm UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:...But what is the best thing to do if I post some thoughts first, and I then see that the ONG hasn't been posted yet?
I'm just looking for a short answer...
Do just what you did. Double posting is always ok for an ONG. It is sometimes necessary for an ONG.

Jose

speising

Postby speising » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:25 pm UTC

thirds wrote:I submit to you, the magnetic termite mounds of Northern Australia, where there also just happen to be Australia's only baobab species. Granted the baobab is slightly different than what we saw in the OTC. Contrarily, note the trees in the background of the last photo here, from Africa and compare to the OTC mediumtrees.

it can't be australia. they haven't been poisoned yet. also, squirrel?

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:26 pm UTC

First, how do you guys like my summary of the "Snake!" period on the Wiki? I tried to summarize the debate regarding the snake as fairly as I could. Here it be:
http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/%22Snake!%22

And I appreciate the feedback from ucim and buffygirl on continuing to wait before naming the current era.

Now...

@ergman

ergman wrote:Regarding Synasthesia, pet spiders, and insect snacks:

I believe only Valarya and I actually mentioned OWNING spiders

@ZoomanSP:
ZoomanSP wrote:
Spoiler:
Pikrass wrote:
kenmelken wrote:

So far, I only tasted the green ants (Oecophylla smaragdina); they were tasty. But the termites sound good, too. Is this a certain species of termites that tastes like mint and carrots, or several species of one or more genera?

I tasted arboreal termites in Central America. There are 5 main species, all with a rather minty flavor, but still distinct in taste from each other. I had the most common kind, often referred to locally as "minty-carrot" termites because of their flavor. Don't know what the other variants taste like specifically.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:30 pm UTC

ergman wrote:Is this a real thing I'm noticing here, or one of those 'There aren't more of them, you just notice them now that you're looking for trends' thing?

I'd say it's due to a) lots of people reading this thread, probably several hundred at least, and b) only the ones who do have spiders/synesthesia/whatnot will post to say they do.

Say five people post "I have a pet spider!". Four hundred ninety-five do NOT post to say they don't have a pet spider. If they did, it would indeed seem to be as rare as it is.

Also what TimeDrake said.
In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
- Albert Schweitzer, philosopher, physician, musician, Nobel laureate (14 Jan 1875-1965)

thirds

Postby thirds » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:34 pm UTC

speising wrote:
thirds wrote:I submit to you, the magnetic termite mounds of Northern Australia, where there also just happen to be Australia's only baobab species. Granted the baobab is slightly different than what we saw in the OTC. Contrarily, note the trees in the background of the last photo here, from Africa and compare to the OTC mediumtrees.
Spoiler:

it can't be australia. they haven't been poisoned yet. also, squirrel?

There apparently is a small population of introduced squirrels near Perth in W Australia: http://www.scarysquirrel.org/vacation/a ... story.html Of course, that puts them some distance away from the magnetic termite mounds in the North.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:40 pm UTC

Darnit, thirds ninja'd me on the 'mite be stumped'. I was going to say I was termitey stumped.

StratPlayer wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
kenmelken wrote:

What??? Not free-range feathered molpys? I only eat stuff that tastes like free-range feathered molpys.

And potatoes, of course.

Only free-range potatoes, of course. I hate the ones grown in captivity, squeezed into tiny cages, force-fed butter to make them all moist and tasty... It's cruel. Potatoes were meant to romp and frolic in the open countryside.

Untie your beans, uncage your tomatoes
Let potted plants free, don't mash that potato!

AluisioASG wrote:
slinches wrote:

Pff, they're just penguins

There, two Arrogant Molpyworm songs in one post.

ChronosDragon wrote:
mikro2nd wrote:@Anglastic:
Angelastic wrote:
Spoiler:
Yeah, but before that, the Madagascar-Antarctica-India love triangle was buddied up with Africa-South America, as part of Gondwana, which was part of Pangaea. It says so on the Madagascar wikipedia page.

So I figure, time machines brought all current fauna and flora (the baobabs do look eerily like some specific ones from now, and there wouldn't have been grass back then) into the past, when Madagascar, Antarctica, India, Africa and South America were all joined together. Maybe they're mining for Aorist rods and they've figured out that for time travel to be at all comfortable, they have to bring the entire biosphere. They also brought people, steam bottles, and some flat-pack furniture. Or maybe they're from the far future, when the Sun's about to burn out, and they moved everything way back in time (they didn't want to go back quite this far, for fear of raptors and continental drift, but they miscalculated) in order to have several more billion years of civilization. It was sort of a Noah's Ark thing, but in Time. And the Sea is doing weird things because it's a good Abrahamic Sea (a Holy See?) and it heard that you're supposed to flood when people do that. Everything's put on the same land masses they belong on in the future, because the New New Agers said that would be in harmony with Nature and such, and the editors of Nature did not think that kind of idea would pass peer review, but they saw it as a good marketing opportunity. Anyway, they're in the past, with all the species that hadn't gone extinct yet by the time Time time travel was invented, and it's many yix after the one true time travel event, so by this time, squirpies and molpythons have migrated from the part of Gondwana that will become Africa to the part that will become Madagascar. I'm not sure, but maybe the configuration of the land masses would also explain the movable sunset projection topologies. This makes my hypothesis perfectly plausible, consistent, complete, and sufficiently powerful.

http://what-if.xkcd.com/42/
shadows
If you think that's impossible, perhaps you have been committing heresy by Waiting for Gödel instead of Waiting for it.

Edited because I'd somehow deleted half a sentence (up to the 'table' in 'comfortable') while dragging text around.
Edited again to add links
Edited again because I remembered the steam bottle part, which had also been accidentally deleted.

Brilliant! Just brilliant! I tried to make a flatland connection via Kurt Gödel through Rudy Rucker to AK Dewdney to Flatland but couldn't pull it off satisfactorily.

Say, the comment about Gödel reminded me of a book I read not long ago. It's called Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid, and it's a book which discusses a great many things that we've talked about here,

I love that book. :) I finally read it in 2004 after three different people had recommended it to me. People of the thread, you have now had it recommended to you by more than three people; don't wait as long as I did!

I would recommend Le Ton beau de Marot by the same author, perhaps to those who are put off by the mathematical stuff; it covers many of the same topics but is more focussed on the linguistic side, with the main circle off which the tangents flow being 99 translations of the same French poem (which I wrote an OTC version of) into English, with different properties of the original being conserved each time. It also has some comments on the translation of GEB into French. It took me about 18 months of getting my order of that book repeatedly postponed by Amazon before I finally got it from an Amazon merchant, and then three days after it arrived, to my surprise and delight, I saw Hofstadter give a talk on Einstein's analogising.

Anyway, I've had a copy of the French translation of GEB for a while, and I plan to read it soon. In fact, my main plan for meeting interesting people after I move to a new city/country will be to sit in coffee shops reading that book and wearing the xkcd 'just shy' shirt. The worst that can happen is I'll read the book and drink coffee and eat cake undisturbed.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:43 pm UTC

I think ChronosDragon said it well in that, among the more scientifically minded, we tend to be a bit less squeamish about squirpy crawlies and termolpies and spiders. Though I'm not scientific at all and just really like spiders, hah. If a bug if flying around me (other than a beesnake of course i love beesnakes), I'll squeal like the girl I am. :D

In regards to termolpies vs. stumps... it's just way more fun to say termolpy! Oh crap... molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy

(Africaobabs camp member. *raises hand*)
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:44 pm UTC

thirds wrote:
fhorn wrote:
thirds wrote:

I mite be stumped.

I axe you, wood it be safe to say opinion is split?

edit: that's quite enough of that.

No, please continue. I... I'm ashamed of that, but I actually miss the Bagocalypse. One or two pages of bad puns once in a while are healthy. I think.
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”