1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

kenmelken

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby kenmelken » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:42 am UTC

Latest np definitely seems to look like a stump more than ever.

I'm actually kind of surprised they haven't commented on them yet.
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:45 am UTC

Valarya wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:I'm going to need to have a pet tarantula (possibly several) once I get my own place to live.

Awesome!!! Yes, get several! xD

That looks completely wonderful! I'm very envious of your many eight-legged friends.
Valarya wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Valarya wrote:I think ChronosDragon said it well in that, among the more scientifically minded, we tend to be a bit less squeamish about squirpy crawlies and termolpies and spiders. Though I'm not scientific at all and just really like spiders, hah. If a bug is flying around me (other than a beesnake of course i love beesnakes), I'll squeal like the girl I am. :D

Indeed. Flying insects are the ones that get to me as well, especially ones that make noise while in flight or look like wasps (e.g. grasshoppers, wasps {duh}, {non-bumble}bees). I had more than a few unpleasant experiences with yellowjackets in my early years.

The ones that make noise are the worst... like cicadas, even though they're 'gentle giants.' I've had unpleasant experiences with hornets. :( Sometimes even a fly buzzing past me will freak me out for a second, haha.

Cicadas I'm pretty okay with, because they look significantly different from most other flying insects and tend to stay put rather than fly around everywhere. Thankfully, I haven't had any hostile encounters with hornets, but my aforementioned run-ins with other wasps have instilled in me a mortal fear of that infernal buzzing sound their wings make.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:46 am UTC

Oh Cuegan, you perplex me. What kind of stickpeople spend newpix and newpix constructing an elaborate sandcastle, and then set out on what seems like a very loooong journey to Randall-knows-where?

*Waits for it some more*

On insects: I don't mind bees and bee-related insects as I've never been stung before. I don't mind spiders unless they bite me, but I'd rather have them outside the house than inside. But mosquitos, ugh, mosquitos. I loathe them. The worst is when you wake up at night in your sleeping bag (or wherever) to this high-pitched whine right in your ear, and you feel the tickling sensation of the mosquito on your ear...eeesh. I grew up with a lot of exposure to mosquitos, and that only made me dislike them more. Especially the ones who view repellent as human-seasoning rather than something to be avoided. Bees and spiders are okay in my book. Mosquitos are better off as dragonfly food.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:48 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:First, how do you guys like my summary of the "Snake!" period on the Wiki? I tried to summarize the debate regarding the snake as fairly as I could. Here it be:
http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/%22Snake!%22

PERFECT summary! Well done!

---------------------------
Now that I've retired, I finally have time to focus on my own hats! WOOT! Buffy's back!

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:49 am UTC

ucim wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:So, here we go: The Last Time Waiter, Chapter ?: The Apprentice
Nice... kind of reminds me of an (Asimov?) story about a computer that kept making itself better and more powerful, but in the end, as the heat death of the universe loomed, still had one more question to answer... and it finally did, saying "Let there be light". I hope your apprentice, if it gets that powerful, doesn't put on a black hat first!

Jose

I love that story! The title is "The Last Question."
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:54 am UTC

He was shortish, and ONGish, and brownish, and mossy
And he spoke with a voice that was sharpish and bossy.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:56 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:Now that I've retired, I finally have time to focus on my own hats! WOOT! Buffy's back!

Nice Hat. Wait, are we supposed to be able to see your eyes?
Last edited by jjjdavidson on Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:59 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

edenist

Postby edenist » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:59 am UTC

Haven't posted here since page < 10..... lurking is fun!

The outside world is nice though..... but I may contaminate you all just be being here....

I'll let myself out.
Carry on.....

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:03 am UTC

edenist wrote:Haven't posted here since page < 10..... lurking is fun!

The outside world is nice though..... but I may contaminate you all just be being here....

I'll let myself out.
Carry on.....

Hey! I lurked all throughout [heresy]April and half of May[heresy] after originally contributing in the early frames. Never bad to come out of lurk-tirement and join us. :P We have cakes and cupcakes and tarantulas and hats and molpies and more! :D
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:04 am UTC

edenist wrote:Haven't posted here since page < 10..... lurking is fun!

I'll let myself out.
Carry on.....
Join in the fun. If you're one of the original posters, then you helped start all this. So please, pull up a rock and stay a spell, and tell us what you think of the place after all this time.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:05 am UTC

It is an Old One! From the dawn of Time! Toy Story Alien Voice: OooOooo...

We're all contaminated by the Outside these newpix. Just wipe your feet before entering the Thread, you'll be fine.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:07 am UTC

ambling alOng

quick lock the door so the Old One can't get out.
Last edited by pelrigg on Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:08 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:07 am UTC

I've always hoped that one day rhomboidal, the great founder-patriarch of the thread would return again and chip in his thoughts on what the thread he started had become.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:13 am UTC

He wanders through Other Threads now... rhomboidal begat the OTT, posted once more, then left it to fend for itself in the cruel Outside world...
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:14 am UTC

Yeah. Apparently he has...
rhomboidal wrote:...no patience for entropy.

Or other things, I guess, like newpix or happiness.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:16 am UTC

No wonder the OTT has daddy issues.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:20 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
buffygirl wrote:Now that I've retired, I finally have time to focus on my own hats! WOOT! Buffy's back!

I think so.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:20 am UTC

I am back, having braved the terrors of the outside, an actual sea(Well, more of a lake) Weather of Danger, and A large bunch of outsiders who call me "family" for some reason.
And, now for a ketchup unlike any I have done before. *Looks to see how far he is behind*
*almost 30 pages*
...This is gonna hurt, isn't it?

On knights of the order temporal, defenders of the realm, yada yada yada, lazy bleepards.
On the state of unanswered posts
You don't have to be mad to post here, but it helps. I dunno who it helps, but it helps.
Molpyana Jones and the temple of k.bookbinder's lost baobob.
A filk in a ketchup? Madness! this is Sparta the OTT!Even if it is crap....
The minim and Corrine
Heresy punishment

Spoiler:
jovialbard wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
jovialbard wrote:Are the knights temporal still around? I thought they were meant to protect the sand castle or some such... but then, I've barely even been lurking for a few hundred new-pages, so maybe their mission statement has changed, or maybe I'm confusing them with a different order...

Oh, we're still around. Our task is to protect the OTC as long as nobody actually asks us to do anything.

If you protect the OTC as long as nobody asks you to do anything, then if I ask you to do something will you stop protecting the OTC? If I ask you all to do something will the knights temporal be abolished, lost in Time forever???

Presumably, they'd sit there and stare, then pretend you hadn't said anythin. Very good at denial, our knights. It ain't just a river, you know. They also deal in pairs of ducks. might even set it up so that the thing you asked wasn't asked of their present selves, but of their past selves, when they would have been unable to do it. then the world would explode, or Marty Mcfly would have to save his kids. One or the other.

Exodies wrote:
ergman wrote:Regarding the tarrot card project (One true deck?)
I did post one of the mating molpyflies as the lovers, but It doesn't fit in with the list. I hope to do some more once my summer break has started.

And regarding posts that get responded to, I think that more than people not seeing them, people just didn't have anything to reply. I'd rather no replies to forced, empty ones. Then we would ruin our fabulous information per post ratio!

And third, minim apparently became multypope. Multypope!

I just assume people are laughing too hard to be capable of using a keyboard when there is no response to my posts. When you have to make up an explanation you may as well make it as flattering as you can.

Usually, I make up an entertaining one. If I don't get a response to this one, I'm going to assume everyone went down to Tijana The vin1/2cue for tequila and cheap spy action. There will be half naked girls, muscular men, and a plot to destroy the Ukraine using a blood diamond trade to smuggle nuclear weapons disguised as cocaine. There may be aliens involved. haven't decided yet.

Neil_Boekend wrote:
mscha wrote:(Actually, I don't have the time to be ketching up either, but the OTT is the only thing that keeps me (somewhat) sane at the moment, so I'm doing it anyway.)

I use the OTT to keep my sanity in check to. I don't want to turn sane, that'd be boring

Sanity. The final frontier.
These are the voyages of the starship OTT
It's ongoing mission
to seek out molpy life and river civilizations
to boldly go where Cuegan have not gone before.

k.bookbinder wrote:
Kieryn wrote:Why did it have to be snakes?

Did you forget to bring with you your whip? Perhaps you can grab a torch from somewhere in the cave, though, it's rather dark in the back, so no use looking there. :?

Well, I already have a holy grail. I sold three arks of the covenant last week. Not sure what you are looking for, but I have a guy who can get it for you, so long as no questions are asked. it beats crawling around dusty old ruins. after all, you belong in a museum!

StratPlayer wrote:
Kieryn wrote:So like, you're saying the OTT is actually a big tour of the chocolate factory?

BlitzGirl wrote:Chocolate factory tour makes so much sense, including the loss of posters along the way...

"Oompa Loompa, doompa-dee-doo,
I’ve got a perfect puzzle for you.
Oompa Loompa, doompa-dee-dee,
If you will Wait, you’ll eventually see.

What do you get from a series of pics,
slowly revealed, with a duo of sticks?
Trying to find where the NewRandall's at?
What do you think you'll get from that?

I think you should Wait for it!

Oompa Loompa doompa-dee-dah,
Maybe you'll be the next one to draw?
Then you will live in happiness too,
Like the oompa loompa doompa-dee-doo!"

Come with me,
and you'll be in a world of pure baconcaffeination
Take a look
And you'll see
Into GLR's imagination

We'll begin
With Newpix
Waiting for
The world of his creation
What we'll see
Will defy
Explanation

If you want to view paradise
Simply look around and view it
Anytime you want to, post it
Wanta change the OTT?
There's nothing
To it

There is no
Thread I know
To compare with
OTT each Newpix
Living there
You'll be free
If you truly wish to be

If you want to view paradise
Simply look around and view it
Anytime you want to, post it
Wanta change the OTT?
There's nothing
To it

There is no
Life I know
To compare with
Pure OTT information
Living there
You'll be free
If you truly
Wish to be

TheMinim wrote:Well, I think Corinne isn't the same snake as the Time snake now, I think Corinne's developed a new life, body, and personality, so she and I are going to coma. Let's hope she doesn't strangle me in the night.

I'm starting to worry that you've developed dissaciative identity disorder. Does Corrine talk to you often?

mscha wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Yummy! And that's true - it's possible that Randall drew the baobabs based off of photos he saw, not considering the specific kind of baobabs they were. He may have always intended them to be African.

Are you sure you wanna go there? Do you really think it is a good idea to suggest that the GLR is fallible?
[Ninja'd, in a way, by slinches, but going off in a different direction.]

The wheel of justice grinds slow, but exceedingly fine. I will get to you when I catch up. In the meantime, Blitzgirl(Tsk! one as axalted as you! What is the OTT coming to?) you should sit in the comfy chair and have a hot chocolate with a single super jet puffed marshmallow.

and this one is getting fairly ginormous, even if it is only hot dog sauced through page 757, I'ma have to leave off for now, and start a new one.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:22 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:

You can't see my eyes? I can see my eyes . . . Why can't you see my eyes? Wait, does this mean I'm going blind?

Oh wait. You're saying you can see my eyes and are proposing that maybe they aren't supposed to be visible. Well, yes. I kept her eyes visible. Is that wrong?

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:30 am UTC

Dracomax wrote:
mscha wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Yummy! And that's true - it's possible that Randall drew the baobabs based off of photos he saw, not considering the specific kind of baobabs they were. He may have always intended them to be African.

Are you sure you wanna go there? Do you really think it is a good idea to suggest that the GLR is fallible?

The wheel of justice grinds slow, but exceedingly fine. I will get to you when I catch up. In the meantime, Blitzgirl(Tsk! one as axalted as you! What is the OTT coming to?) you should sit in the comfy chair and have a hot chocolate with a single super jet puffed marshmallow.

I say once more: Yummy! I hope you scooped this chocolate from that River you visited while writing that song. :D
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:45 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
mscha wrote:

I say once more: Yummy! I hope you scooped this chocolate from that River you visited while writing that song. :D

I wouldn't be so gung-ho about that...remember, some random fat kid was swimming around in it not long before!

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:01 am UTC

Another ONG. Needs more excitement.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:04 am UTC

Blitzposting before I coma.

Spoiler:
Due to internet connection problems, I was only able to blitz 20 newpages today - a fifth of my usual pace. I hope to return to normal speed tomorrow.

But, I spotted my first sigcouragement, in Vytron's sig:
Vytron wrote:Bringer of Baobabs, the Vindicator of Vegetation
BlitzGirl the Next
macgraw83, Roblrr, tman2nd and other blitzers: BlitzGirlSpeed! You can do it!
And looking forward to meet you in the future AK49BWL, Flado & taixzo!

Thank you! I look forward to meeting you too! And now I must coma, so that tomorrow I can continue my rush through Time.

-- Taixzo
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:17 am UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:DOUBLEPOSTBECAUSEOFTHEONG...
Spoiler:

ETA1: I hope I did this correctly here. I know that I'm allowed to double-post if my previous comment is before the ONG, and that I should edit my ONG-post if I want to comment it afterwards. But what is the best thing to do if I post some thoughts first, and I then see that the ONG hasn't been posted yet?
I'm just looking for a short answer, I don't want to bring this discussion up again. I was just lacking a guideline for my case...
ETA2: edited to mark first edit

In all cases, just post. The so called protocol is for other fora where people like to get cross with each other and etiquette gives them an easy reason.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:24 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:But mosquitos, ugh, mosquitos. I loathe them. The worst is when you wake up at night in your sleeping bag (or wherever) to this high-pitched whine right in your ear, and you feel the tickling sensation of the mosquito on your ear...eeesh.

I just shuddered because your description caused me to feel a mosquito buzzing around my ear. Image
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

ergman

Postby ergman » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:26 am UTC

Dracomax wrote: Sanity. The final frontier.
These are the voyages of the starship OTT
It's ongoing mission
to seek out molpy life and river civilizations
to boldly go where Cuegan have not gone before.

Sigged! You inquisitor sir, you have confiscated my sig-ginity!
Last edited by ergman on Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:27 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:26 am UTC

Angelastic wrote:Pff, they're just penguins

There, two Arrogant Molpyworm songs in one post.

Not U.S.A.ers but U.S.A.sians.

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:38 am UTC

Last condiment of the day for me...

akacat:
Spoiler:
akacat asked: Ouch, poor cat with brain freeze. I'm curious, how did she know it had brain freeze?
She had previously let the cat lick ice cream from her spoon so she knew the cat liked it; she said that she had given it a large spoonful of ice cream in a dish for some reason, and after washing the spoon she realized that the cat was crouched with its head low (have you ever seen a cat with a piece of tape on top of its head? It's like the cat is ducking, ears low, trying to get out from under the tape) and whining. It lasted about 20 seconds, and after that the cat would refuse to even lick melted ice cream from her finger :?
My parents' cat mimics their sneezing, so there's precedent. (It's hilarious, in part because it sounds fake, as it should, and because the cat is usually half-asleep when it does it, because the real sneeze woke it.)
Wow, I'd probably laugh at that until I fell over, then try to get the poor thing to do it again! :lol:

I wrote: Phew (wiping sweat from brow) still 3 pages behind but must bow to Outside demands now. I don't know... people always wanting to be fed, laundry won't fold itself, trash won't leave without being thrown out... I just don't know
and SBN asked: Can't "People wanting to be fed" be the solution to "laundry won't fold itself?" Even young people can fold laundry.
Well Little Bear, being 1.5 yips old, is pretty much the opposite of helpful with folding laundry; he has his own criteria for where things should be piled, and is very insistent about his piles. He is, however, very helpful when it comes to loading and starting the laundry and dish-machines. (Translation: the washing and drying happen only with his supervision and assistance, and his finger on the ‘start’ button ...and the folding happens when he's not around.) But it was actually just a general curmudgeonly grumble about the Outside insisting on my participation. Believe me, I'm definitely one of those parents who believes in teaching children how to care for a household, and that means they have to practice. :D

kenmelken wrote: Ooh! Termite mound! That's actually a viable food source if they're hungry. They taste like mint and carrots.
I'm curious, cooked carrots or raw?

charlie_grumbles wrote: What??? Not free-range feathered molpys? I only eat stuff that tastes like free-range feathered molpys.
And potatoes, of course.

and StratPlayer wrote: Only free-range potatoes, of course. I hate the ones grown in captivity, squeezed into tiny cages, force-fed butter to make them all moist and tasty... It's cruel. Potatoes were meant to romp and frolic in the open countryside.

charlie_grumbles said: Actually, the wild ones are the best. And it's so much fun to saddle up with the posse to hunt them down and also prevent their depredations on the livestock. Yee Hah

Ah, how I miss the sight of the potato herds running wild across the hills, a magnificent baker in the lead... Potatoes grow randomly up on top of Twin Peaks, did you know that? It must have been part of a farm at some point, I can't figure out how else they could plausibly have gotten there.

k.bookbinder:
Spoiler:
k.bookbinder wrote: On a personal note, the other yesterdix, whilst in the garden, my wife came inside because of a snake. We live very near to a lake so moccasins are always a concern. I went out and found the snake only to speak, "Oh, don't worry, it's just a ribbon molpysnake, probably looking for molpies." She had not heard (or she did but did not understand what I meant) so I repeated, "Oh, just a ribbon snake, looking for moles or mice or something." Later, we went for a walk in a nearby state park. Passing by the Osprey nest, I looked up and spoke, "Oh look! There are two fledgling Time-Rap...er...Ospreys!"
:D You're definitely not the only one - I think I mentioned before that I've found myself pointing out various critters in the grass to L.B. as molpys. I also have a long-standing bad habit of pointing out flocks of birds, especially geese, as dinosaurs. It startles people, for some reason. (innocent smiley)
I really, really hope we get to see some raptormolpys!

partingLance wrote: Well, yes, but whether they're in Madagascar, continental Africa, Strylia, or somewhere in the Randallverse, they must be in a semi-arid region -- to judge from the vegetation, and from the fact that not too many newpix ago, they were walking through dunes, i.e. an arid region. In such places, obviously, decay is slow, as is re-forestation, or simply the growth of the kind of scrub and "undergrowth" that precedes/accompanies it in temperate climes.

Also -- though I've yet to find the Time to really ponder the geology+ of Time, as I've been intending to -- such rocks as they've encountered so far don't look, to me, very weathered. Not much water or ice or even just wind to grind them smooth, at least not in [heresy]millennia[/heresy].

There hasn't been an awful lot to ponder! Well, no, I guess that's not true, is it... We say that they were on sand until they turned away from the sea, then there were dunes, and then the ground was pretty rough - it made me think of a damp meadow, a moor, or a peat-bog - somewhere that is seasonally frozen or submerged, or both. (That doesnt fit with arid, though, does it? I guess I know what I'll be reading when I go to bed... good thing I actually like reading textbooks!) The grapevine area was smoother (possibly a part of the river's larger flood plain?) but still rough enough for Megan to comment on the easier walking once they turned and headed for the mountains. The last thing I've noticed besides the two significant cliffs was two or three small slumps, maybe 1 or 1.5 cue.

I'm going to make a prediction though, based on those slumps and on Randall's impressive accuracy and attention to detail (not to mention his skill at conveying so much with such simplicity.) To my amateur eye those slumps definitely look like they are purely geological, not significantly affected by large molpys (that would be ‘cow slip’ if memory serves.) [prediction]Therefore, we won't be seeing large molpylife (say, cowpys or deerps)(heh heh) in this area, and probably not medium molpys either, such as sheep. (I despise sheep, and won't give them an OTT name.)[/prediction] I'll be disappointed if I'm right - I was hoping to show off a picture I took of a giraffe last month. It's got a couple of geese (look, dinosaurs!) slightly in the foreground, you really get a feel for the size of the giraffe :D

Edited to spoiler significantly off-topic subjects
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:51 am UTC

Valarya wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:But mosquitos, ugh, mosquitos. I loathe them. The worst is when you wake up at night in your sleeping bag (or wherever) to this high-pitched whine right in your ear, and you feel the tickling sensation of the mosquito on your ear...eeesh.

I just shuddered because your description caused me to feel a mosquito buzzing around my ear. Image

Reminds me of one of my favorite quotations:
"If you think you're too small to make a difference, try sleeping in a closed room with a mosquito."
I've heard it attributed to the current Dalai Lama, but I've also seen it mentioned as an African proverb, so I'm not sure about the source.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:57 am UTC

tman2nd wrote:Blitzmessage
Unfortunately I am going to be really busy this weekend, so I won't be able to get in much blitzing. I will resume next week.

Thanks for the head ups tman2nd! I sometimes worry about people disappearing without notice and even have the great fear of they never returning (like descor, where's descor!??? Get ready the semencoffecancerbabiescartonmilks!) - so it's nice to have a forewarning.

Oh, you will not read this till about 2 weeks after you come back or something, but still, I hope this gives you strength to continue your quest after reaching this page!

And now:

Blitzmessage

Of my own.

I know I said I'd ketchup with the present today or tomorrow, but I'm still 17 pages behind and at this rate I may not even do it in three days from now. Thankfully the OTC had taught us to wait for it and be patient, so I'll not get obsessed about it, and promise to take no more shortcuts!
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

THANKS KARHELL!! :)

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:00 am UTC

BlueCrab wrote:
kenmelken wrote: Ooh! Termite mound! That's actually a viable food source if they're hungry. They taste like mint and carrots.
I'm curious, cooked carrots or raw?

Cooked, cuz they're a bit squishy (albeit with an initial crunch)

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:02 am UTC

ChirpONG raptor-molpies?

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:03 am UTC

slinches wrote:ChirpONG raptor-molpies?

Crickets.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:06 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:

Crickets.

...or...CICADAS!

What, it's possible! Maybe once every 148,920 newpix, a new brood emerges from the mustard.

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:08 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
Spoiler:
Image[
/quote]
Crickets.

As in what the few of us left in the OTT are hearing right now!? That must be some meta-commentary from GLR on both the OTC and OTT. It's All Related.

And it couldn't be Cicadas. He referred to them as "quiet"

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:18 am UTC

slinches wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Spoiler:
Image[
/quote]
Crickets.

As in what the few of us left in the OTT are hearing right now!? That must be some meta-commentary from GLR on both the OTC and OTT. It's All Related.

Cicadas approaching from several hundred cues away?

Of course, it could be non-insectile. Birds chirp too. As do small mammals, occasionally. Heck, maybe it's a vocal molpy!

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:23 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
slinches wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Spoiler:
Image[
/quote]
Crickets.

Of course, it could be non-insectile. Birds chirp too. As do small mammals, occasionally. Heck, maybe it's a vocal molpy!

That is true. However, it would most likely have appeared inframe if it were a non-insect molpy; insects are significantly louder compared to their size than most other animals.

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:24 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
slinches wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Spoiler:

Crickets.

Maybe Megan's squirpy friend followed them?

ETA: And is hiding just out of frame (but within earshot). I really want this to be true!

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:30 am UTC

Do you have to shout all the time Cueball? Give the shiftlock a rest.

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:46 am UTC

cueball wrote:Are you hearing quiet chirps?
Megan: Yeah. Who could be calling at this time? (pulls out cellphone)
Voice on phone: molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy grapevine! grapevine!

Jose
(Hmmm... wouldn't that be a great cell phone ring?)
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”