1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Zorin_75

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Zorin_75 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:10 am UTC

ggh wrote:Too obscure?

Since when is this a bad thing? No, it's really NEAT.

ggh wrote:Ha, that's what happen when someone who knows nothing about metal tries to make a metally pic! The wolf is from Wolf - Edge of the World

New to me, but I guess this is what I'll be listening to for the next semi-newpix:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igh2lgwCmrk
They seem to know what they're doing. ;)
Go Minim go!

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:16 am UTC

SBN wrote:
Vytron wrote:BUT I still maintain people should be allowed to do it in any way they please! *shot*

And that seems to be the case. But, if someone wanted to post in a way that pleases others, they could just pick a way, and it would. If they want to please all others though, they should change up the style, so they aren't pleasing the same people each time. Or, they could post any way they please, that works too.

Being pleased is a self induced state of the pleasee not an effect created by the pleaser.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:19 am UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:I have had my ketchup for the day but I lost my comments when my browser crash. Lots of great stuff! But, at the moment I am pressed for time. However, since pizza has been introduced to the OTT, I have decided to contribute, for I often make pizza at home from scratch. So for all you tribal members here on the OTT, please help yourself to some of my blue pizza. If you're not fond of fungi, one half is without mushrooms (these are not the kind Ugg had. Or Bob). Enjoy.

Spoiler:

How do you tell when it has gone mouldy?

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:21 am UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:
ggh wrote:Ha, that's what happen when someone who knows nothing about metal tries to make a metally pic! The wolf is from Wolf - Edge of the World

New to me, but I guess this is what I'll be listening to for the next semi-newpix:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igh2lgwCmrk
They seem to know what they're doing. ;)

Thanks for that, some great classic metal! Will be joining you in listening to that for the next halfpix :)
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:26 am UTC

azule wrote:Image
Post, then ONG. Besides, they ONGed while they were talkONG.

It is absurd to remark that there is something that you can't imagine being the cause of something you aren't aware has happened.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:37 am UTC

ggh wrote:
azule wrote:@ggh - Beautifully done, again. If you don't mind me saying, I wonder how this is related to the OTC/OTT. I don't recall a moon or wolf theme. :?

Hmm, maybe I tangented too far. It was supposed to be a yappo card. I thought with his enjoyment of being anti-pope of the page of the beast, he'd like one of the darker cards. The animal on the left is an otter. The moon is from an album cover of a band he recommended. The wolf and crayfish are elements of the usual tarot, but this specific wolf is from another metal album cover, and the cray is a rock lobster. The shadowy towers are from his molpy-grapevine video.

Too obscure? Should I try again?

Just about obscure enough. Stick with it.

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:44 am UTC

Exodies wrote:It is absurd to remark that there is something that you can't imagine being the cause of something you aren't aware has happened.

Well, Q is confused as always, but she seems to have figured it out pretty well...
Go Minim go!

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:56 am UTC

trolleypup wrote:
azule wrote:Beesnake (Apocrita Elongatius1 || Apocrypha Elongatius2 || Lineavolucris Apiserpens3)

The major point of feedback I'd like is with the Latin name. I don't know Latin, help is appreciated.
Next, general feedback, suggestions. The TBD's actually have content, but I'm attempting to spark interest with mystery (and I'm not done completely). Feel free to suggest for these too.

Thanks.

I would suggest: Apocrita elongata, Apocrypha elongata, Lineavolucris apiserpens

I don't actually know Latin, but from long experience with binomial names, exact conformation to real latin isn't entirely necessary...and these names wouldn't make anyone in the field blink.

Seconded. Being someone in the field, I didn't blink at trolleypup's suggestions. The endings match, and the species name (=second word) is lower-case. That's all it needs.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:08 am UTC

Rock ONG!

ETA:
Just stumbled across another somewhat obscure OTC-related (but then what isn't) metal cover:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR4j0wBx2xA
Go Minim go!

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:41 am UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:Just stumbled across another somewhat obscure OTC-related (but then what isn't) metal cover:

Due to the Spanishness, care to explain how it's related for us poor ignorant English-speakers?

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:51 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
Zorin_75 wrote:Just stumbled across another somewhat obscure OTC-related (but then what isn't) metal cover:

Due to the Spanishness, care to explain how it's related for us poor ignorant English-speakers?

Don't understand a word either, but I see a neat wowterfall...
Go Minim go!

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:55 am UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:

Don't understand a word either, but I see a neat wowterfall...

Oh I see! Well if we're posting metal covers with wowterfalls... here's two more :D

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:06 am UTC

New Ong
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Kazza3

Postby Kazza3 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:07 am UTC

Just ketchupped 40 pages, it's good to be back, and in interesting times! :D

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:12 am UTC

"Water eats away sand pretty fast", I reckon we're about to get a mention of the sandcastle and rising sea...

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:00 am UTC

observ-ONG
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:18 am UTC

Exodies wrote:
azule wrote:But the point was people know cliche and not trope (as was my knowledge base, long ago), and that was how it is best to explain the realm of tropes is through that comparison. Though, yeah, I was originally bringing up a wholly unrelated topic: vocab, lexicon, whatever it is. I probably should have tried looking it up to get a clearer definition.

Trope, cliché, stereotype, archetype, pattern. If people start adding "just a" to trope, then it will be indistinguishable from cliché ("oh, that's just a trope").

ucim wrote:
mscha wrote:-------- <- another double post preventor. (Still not sure why this is better than a double post.)

Well, we gotta have standards!

There are good arguments either way, and (IMHO) neither method is inherently worse. Similarly the question of whether a post should be editable could also easily go either way. However, once one method is chosen, this creates expectations in the reader, and reading is smoother if the agreed-upon standard is mostly adhered to. (I will also note that there are good arguments for not choosing, but that is not a choice we got to make.)

Posts here come with quite a bit of overhead: the header, the icons, the signature, the sidebar statistics, and they occupy space and slow down the reading. So, consider it a form of organic data compression. :)
Jose

I find sigs slow down reading about five thousand times more than the thread framework stuff; the avatar and user stats are over on the side where one is accustomed to ignore adverts.
The double post rule is telling us to ensure someone else posts something before we post something. This is a recipe for Tread paralysis and checking it is a massive spoiler for blitzgirlies.
*glances over at Valarya*

On the User Control Panel, Board Preferences tab, you can use the Edit Display Options selection to turn avatars and signatures on or off as you choose. Also, the Index page lists who posted last, so it can be checked safely without spoilers. Not that I think any of us, Blitzers or not, need to stress too much over the occasional double post.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:00 pm UTC

yeah-ONG
-- Charlie Grumbles

FullOfIt

Postby FullOfIt » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:02 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:What did Cueball pick up? And is he going to throw it over the wowterfall?

I suppose I shall find out later, because now I'm off to go...
C.O.M.A.
(to the tune of Y.M.C.A.)
Spoiler:
Cuegan, why you hiking around?
I said Cuegan, can't you cover some ground?
I said Cuegan, now you're making us frown
Kind of spacing out and crabby

Cuegan, there's a thing you should know
I said Cuegan, soon we'll all have to go
Though we Wait here, we have needs of the mind
It shuts down for quite a good Time...

Yes soon we'll have to go C.O.M.A.
We all give in to that C.O.M.A
We can drink some caffeine (no semen to enjoy)
But we all know that's just a ploy

We all give in to that C.O.M.A.
We can stare at the screen
Think we have nerves of steel
But soon coma is all we feel

Cuegan, are you listening to me?
I said Cuegan, can't you get somewhere 3?
I said Cuegan, you can travel the streams
But you've got to know this one thing

Coma leaves us all overwhelmed
I said Cuegan, go discover a realm
And just go there, before C.O.M.A.
Forces all Timewaiters away

We all give in to that C.O.M.A.
We can stare at the screen
Think we have nerves of steel
But soon coma is all we feel

Cuegan, bring us out of our snooze
Bring us molpies, or some fancy new views
Build a castle, please don't leave us deprived
Before consciousness takes a dive

That's when we leave the OTT
Crying, "Cuegan, what have you done to me?
I've been putting off my C.O.M.A.!"
We're all feeling led quite astray

Yes now we have to go C.O.M.A.

C.O.M.A.
Cueball, Megan: Why you hiking around?
Cueball, Megan: Can't you cover some ground?

C.O.M.A.
Now we have to go C.O.M.A.
Cueball, Megan: Find some fancy new views!
Cueball, Megan: Now we're starting to snooze...

C.O.M.A....
C.O.M.A....
Zzz Zzz zz zz...

Amazing.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:13 pm UTC

Blindpost:
ergman wrote:
mscha wrote:BRONZIFYONG...
Spoiler:

-- posted by newpixbot

uh.. is newpixbot malfunctioning? or has he actually evolved this time?

The latter.
ergman wrote:google turns up literally nothing for bronzifyong...

It probably does now. ;) (...) That's weird, it doesn't. Usually it picks up anything in we post in the OTT within minutes...
ergman wrote:it seems like he took bronzifying (also not a word as far as I can tell) and ongified (definately not a word) it.

Yup, as promised, it evolved, and learned (with a little bit of help) to ONGifya words, just like we sometimes do.

Edit: looks like it almost exclusively finds words ending in -ing now, and ONGifies those. I may need to ‘teach’ it to do better. Image

a: most certainly a word, at least in the OTT.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

ergman

Postby ergman » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:19 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:You're not crazy, ergman. :wink: mscha said earlier he was going to work on newpixbot:
mscha wrote:Yeah, the birthday problem strikes again...
I'll see if I can teach newpixbot some new ONGy trickses.

Ahh, good to know, I must have missed that, though my sanity is still questionable.

ChronosDragon wrote:Ugh....eugh...I think I need to stop interneting for tonight. Just got off of r/fifthworldpics and somehow immediately after found my way to an incredibly disturbing music video about cats. Would not recommend either, big nightmare fuel. Anyway, going to go try to coma...wish me luck...

Heehee. I love fifthworldpics. There's some cool stuff there.
@ggh
Nice tarot. It is quite obscure, but that isn't really a bad thing. It's kind of cool how only Yappo himself was really able to figure out his own card.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:26 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Blindpost:
ergman wrote:
mscha wrote:BRONZIFYONG...
Spoiler:

-- posted by newpixbot

uh.. is newpixbot malfunctioning? or has he actually evolved this time?

The latter.
ergman wrote:google turns up literally nothing for bronzifyong...

It probably does now. ;) (...) That's weird, it doesn't. Usually it picks up anything in we post in the OTT within minutes...
ergman wrote:it seems like he took bronzifying (also not a word as far as I can tell) and ongified (definately not a word) it.

Yup, as promised, it evolved, and learned (with a little bit of help) to ONGifya words, just like we sometimes do.

Edit: looks like it almost exclusively finds words ending in -ing now, and ONGifies those. I may need to ‘teach’ it to do better. Image

a: most certainly a word, at least in the OTT.

Google sees bronzifyong only here in the OTT, but ongified is also seen elsewhere (outside). Ditto ONGify. Interesting. Verrry interesting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:43 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:
azule wrote:Image
Post, then ONG. Besides, they ONGed while they were talkONG.

It is absurd to remark that there is something that you can't imagine being the cause of something you aren't aware has happened.

If you think that's bad, just wait until some OtherPersonInThe OTC explains to them how the giant canyons in the Western USA were pretty much carved in a couple days after a humungous ice-dam broke and spilled a great-lake-sized volume of water all at once. None of this "little river wears a spec of rock each day" stuff for us cowboys!

Some of my favorite pizza combos:
-- spinach and eggplant
-- sausage and mushroom
-- white sauce and cheese and popcorn shrimp
-- buffalo chicken
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

ttscp

Re: 1190: "Time" Rising and Falling Action

Postby ttscp » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:47 pm UTC

Dear Teach,

My paper was eaten by a molpyraptor and dropped over a wowterfall, can I have an extension?

Sincerely ttscp

I predicted in my first literary analysisR post that the OTC would end between 3500 and 4000 newpix. In my previous post I claimed the wowterfall (newpix 1933-1936) is the midpoint so I'm right on target. I have the kind of mind that presents itself with solutions without really explaining why, so I have to pretend to be some kind of (in this case) literature professor, to figure out what I'm talking about.I

I talked about filler material - the stuff that extends and convolutes the plot in order to keep our interest beyond a few secondsV. I differentiated between atmospheric filler and plot extending fillerE. The filler around the wowterfall seems to me to be more plot extending, than atmospheric, really. So that's one reason to believe we've reached the midpoint.

A second reason is a feeling that corresponds to what the theater types call rising and falling action. Think of a triangle with a horizontal base. In a five act ShakespeareS play, the point of the triangle is generally in the third act, the action rising toward that point and then falling afterwards.M

Movies skew the triangle toward the right, speeding down the slope toward the conclusion. That might distort my analysis a little. If this really were a term paper, I'd analyze a representative sample of movies, plays and books to determine more exactly how much skew and how it afffected the prediction.A

My feeling may simply come from Cuegan climbing into the hills and so they could be at the highest point of their journey. There are some novels and plays that literally chart the rising/falling action (Charlie's IQ in Flowers for Algernon). I don't think any author consciously intends that, but the symbolic value may be too strong for the subconscious to resist.L

At the midpoint you expect a more definite turning point, but since we have only two characters who speak, and there's not much conflict between them, I"m going with the visual.

Question: does any one else believe we will get answers about LaPetite and/or Cueball's dream?

Next post, I descend into heresy and try to read the GLR's mind. Ready the foam maiden.

|< first < previous > next WARNING for first time readers and blitzers: the link takes you farther along in the thread and may reveal information you don't want to know...yet.

R I guess you'd call it that. It's definitely not short term - what's going to happen next newpix or so - and it's concerned at least initially with the overall length of the OTC and how to predict that length from the use of literary devices.
I Doing detective work on my own mind to figure out how I came to a conclusion is my style. Everybody else just says, "what was he thinking?"
V Well, my interest, maybe you have a longer attention span. Mine is pretty shor-Squirlpie!!!
E Atmospheric: "Chirp." Plot extending: "Our rope isn't strong enough."R
R Cueball's dream. Next line, "Hold this or you'll fall."
S As promised, Shakespeare. Hemingway was quoted in the previous post.
M Here's an analysis of Lear.
A I'm not going to. My brain hasn't been eaten away by the brain amoeba that much.L
L Yet.
L Did I really write that sentence? No wonder people's eyes glaze over when I talk.

Edit: spelling, grammar
Edit2: 'next' link
Last edited by ttscp on Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:17 pm UTC, edited 4 times in total.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:00 pm UTC

wait-ONG

Ah, 1955. Always wanted a '55 chevy, but my first car was a '53 ford.
like this one
Spoiler:
53ford7_lg.jpg

Even got the color right.
-- Charlie Grumbles

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:06 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
Google sees bronzifyong only here in the OTT, but ongified is also seen elsewhere (outside). Ditto ONGify. Interesting. Verrry interesting.

What's most interesting is that the only reference gives me for bronzifyong is your post referencing Google, not the original ong.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:07 pm UTC

ttscp wrote:Dear Teach,

My paper was eaten by a molpyraptor and dropped over a wowterfall, can I have an extension?

Sincerely ttscp
Spoiler:
I predicted in my first literary analysisR post that the OTC would end between 3500 and 4000 newpix. In my previous post I claimed the wowterfall (newpix 1933-1936) is the midpoint so I'm right on target. I have the kind of mind that presents itself with solutions without really explaining why, so I have to pretend to be some kind of (in this case) literature professor, to figure out what I'm talking about.I

I talked about filler material - the stuff that extends and convolutes the plot in order to keep our interest beyond a few secondsV. I differentiated between atmospheric filler and plot extending fillerE. The filler around the wowterfall seems to me to be more plot extending, than atmospheric, really. So that's one reason to believe we've reached the midpoint.

A second reason is a feeling that corresponds to what the theater types call rising and falling action. Think of a triangle with a horizontal base. In a five act ShakespeareS play, the point of the triangle is generally in the third act, the action riseing toward that point and then falling afterwards.M

Movies skew the triangle toward the right, speeding down the slope toward the conclusion. That might distort my analysis a little. If this really were a term paper, I'd analyze a representative sample of movies, plays and books to determine more exactly how much skew and how it afffected the prediction.A

My feeling may simply be come from Cuegan climbing into the hills mountain and could be at the highest point of their journey. There are some novels and plays that literally chart the rising/falling action (Charlie's IQ in Flowers for Algernon). I don't think any author consciously intends that, but the symbolic value may be too strong for the subconscious to resist.L

At the midpoint you expect a more definite turning point, but since we have only two characters who speak, and there's not much conflict between them, I"m going with the visual.

Question: does any one else believe we will get answers about LaPetite and/or Cueball's dream?

Next post, I descend into heresy and try to read the GLR's mind. Ready the foam maiden.

|< first < previous

R I guess you'd call it that. It's definitely not short term - what's going to happen next newpix or so - and it's concerned at least initially with the overall length of the OTC and how to predict that length from the use of literary devices.
I Doing detective work on my own mind to figure out how I came to a conclusion is my style. Everybody else just says, "what was he thinking?"
V Well, my interest, maybe you have a longer attention span. Mine is pretty shor-Squirlpie!!!
E Atmospheric: "Chirp." Plot extending: "Our rope isn't strong enough."R
R Cueball's dream. Next line, "Hold this or you'll fall."
S As promised, Shakespeare. Hemingway was quoted in the previous post.
M Here's an analysis of Lear.
A I'm not going to. My brain hasn't been eaten away by the brain amoeba that much.L
L Yet.
L Did I really write that sentence? No wonder people's eyes glaze over when I talk.

Hmmm. Keep it up and it will be a master's thesis.

ttscp wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:

What's most interesting is that the only reference gives me for bronzifyong is your post referencing Google, not the original ong.

It usually withholds/filters "similar" refs. There is a button to search again without that filter.
-- Charlie Grumbles

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:13 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
ttscp wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:

It usually withholds/filters "similar" refs. There is a button to search again without that filter.

Yeah, I pushed that and got one other reference, with the "...it probably does now..." language from the later posts, so no reference to the original ONG.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:21 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:If you think that's bad, just wait until some OtherPersonInThe OTC explains to them how the giant canyons in the Western USA were pretty much carved in a couple days after a humungous ice-dam broke and spilled a great-lake-sized volume of water all at once. None of this "little river wears a spec of rock each day" stuff for us cowboys!

It is believed that the Mediterranean filled in a few days when the land bridge/dam at Gibraltar failed. Dam' where is my surfboard when I need it? Ride the wave all the way to Lebanon.

cellocgw wrote:Some of my favorite pizza combos:
-- spinach and eggplant
-- sausage and mushroom
-- white sauce and cheese and popcorn shrimp
-- buffalo chicken

Well, ok but for the eggplant. About the only veggie I can't abide. Ok, though, if disguised with enough red sauce and mozzarella and evoo and parmesan. Do I have to draw you a picture?
Spoiler:
EggplantParm_plate500.jpg
Eggplant Parmesan

See any eggplant here? No? Good. Just right.
Last edited by charlie_grumbles on Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:22 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:22 pm UTC

ttscp wrote:What's most interesting is that the only reference gives me for bronzifyong is your post referencing Google, not the original ong.

What's really creepy though, is that this post of yours is already showing up as a 3rd result. They're updating amazingly fast nowadays...
Go Minim go!

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:25 pm UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:
ttscp wrote:What's most interesting is that the only reference gives me for bronzifyong is your post referencing Google, not the original ong.

What's really creepy though, is that this post of yours is already showing up as a 3rd result. They're updating amazingly fast nowadays...

Well, TheMinim is here now. Maybe she is also a spy for the great Google in the sky.

And what do we really know of MobTeeseboose? I mean really?
-- Charlie Grumbles

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:39 pm UTC

azule wrote:This is for Sciscitor's Quote Constellations (all 3, btw). It now features avatars, as suggested and facilitated by the man himself, and better text zoom abilities.

Great! Now how do I run it?

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:53 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:And what do we really know of MobTeeseboose? I mean really?

When The MobTeeseboose speaks, there be hail and fire mingled with blood, the wowtrees will burn up, the bigger than it looks mountain burning with fire will be cast into the sea, and the third part of the big sea becomes blood.

Or something along that line :shock:
Go Minim go!

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:55 pm UTC

I'm liking the new Last Time Waiter. This business of creating self-repairing systems can go wrong in very entertaining ways - no wonder it "may take a few years".

AluisioASG wrote:And question: should buffygirl be a villain?
It might be fun for BlitzGirl to turn out to be the villain. What do you say BlitzGirl - up for some world domination? Could BuffyGirl hold her back?

Minor spelling/grammar note: "The Archduchess and the Engineer leaded the way" should be "... led the way".

ergman wrote:I'm almost positive now that mscha has changed newpixbot to make him replace ings with ongs now, instead of just finding real Ong words. Oooooorrrrrrrrrr newpixbot has evolved. I need someone else to notice this, or refute it. Am I losing my mind?
What newpixbot? There's no newpixbot. What have you been seeing? Come with me, I have somebody who wants to talk to you.

ggh wrote: Looking at the usual interpretations for the Swords suit, I think there are fewer good matches to exploit. I propose replacing it with a 'sWords suit, as in, "'tis words", and replacing the sword imagery with pens, which are mightier anyhoo.
Awesome Moon card! Regarding swords, I would not change the name, but simply replace the imagery of swords with imagery of pens. Let the joke be understated.

Exodies wrote:The double post rule is telling us to ensure someone else posts something before we post something. This is a recipe for Tread paralysis...
This would only be true if editing that post were also proscribed.

@BlitzGirl: Nice C.O.M.A. filk! I wonder what it is that makes a song more (or less) likely to be filked. I'm sure the distribution of filk versions is decidedly non-uniform over originals.

ttscp wrote:Question: does any one else believe we will get answers about LaPetite and/or Cueball's dream?
Yes. I think both are foreshadowing - LaPetite especially. Not resolving the dream would be almost "meh", but not resolving LaPetite would be deeply unsatisfying.

As to filler, some time ago I read "Lucifer's Hammer", an SF book about the aftermath of a large (enough) meteor impact in modern times. It had a rather long middle section where a lot of (perhaps unnecessary) detail was used, and the plot wasn't moving all that fast. However, the actuality of reading through that section very much contributed to the emotional impact of having gone through the turmoil that the characters had, and was very much necessary to the full enjoyment of the last part of the book. It's kind of like the "waiting for it" here contributes to the enjoyment of the One True Comic.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:56 pm UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:And what do we really know of MobTeeseboose? I mean really?

When The MobTeeseboose speaks, there be hail and fire mingled with blood, the wowtrees will burn up, the bigger than it looks mountain burning with fire will be cast into the sea, and the third part of the big sea becomes blood.

Or something along that line :shock:

Hmmm. Are we really supposed to .....
Wait For It?????

Jus' askin'. Will there be cake?
-- Charlie Grumbles

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:59 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
Zorin_75 wrote:

Well, TheMinim is here now. Maybe she is also a spy for the great Google in the sky.

And what do we really know of MobTeeseboose? I mean really?

Heh heh heh. You may never know.
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:00 pm UTC

turn-ONG
And dropping the rock.

TheMinim wrote:Heh heh heh. You may never know.

Rats.
Last edited by charlie_grumbles on Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
-- Charlie Grumbles

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

You know you're waiting for it when a random word generator comes up with heretic and you think of this thread.
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:17 pm UTC

))))

== Blindposting from NP 800 ==

Blitzing took me half of my afternoon, and I'm still 10 NP behind. :( And I have my internship report to write.

I never have much to say, so there's only one Response and one NewScript.

mscha wrote:
waveney wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:Disclaimer. Actually a bit before my day. But I did have to program a switch based front end on a pdp-11-10 to get the boot loader entered. About 20 binary words. Very error prone.

Ha - that would have been easy - I programmed the pre-boot loader into to one machine (6 or 7 18-bit words, that loaded the normal boot loader) using a pair of wire cutters and a core memory board. One error and the whole board would have been very expensive toast.

Ha! I used to program a computer by moving beads from left to right and vice versa.
Spoiler:

And I used to program a computer with a bunch of rocks! But that was very Time-consuming...

And now for the NewScript.

I've read the discussion about parens, and I had the idea to automate some paren-checking for the OTT. And so I did.

I considered parenthesis work beyond posts and even newpages, so whole portions of the OTT might be inside parenthesis., which is kind of sad. A future version will be able to tell how much.
Note that it ignores quoted text and code blocks. The script is available here.

Here are the results.
WARNING: this spoiler contains 523 lines of text!
Spoiler:
Unmatched close paren in newpage 3, post p3302054
Unmatched close paren in newpage 3, post p3302059
Unmatched close paren in newpage 11, post p3302870
Unmatched close paren in newpage 11, post p3302894
Unmatched close paren in newpage 11, post p3302894
Unmatched close paren in newpage 16, post p3303215
Unmatched close paren in newpage 17, post p3303314
Unmatched close paren in newpage 17, post p3303314
Unmatched close paren in newpage 17, post p3303316
Unmatched close paren in newpage 21, post p3303686
Unmatched close paren in newpage 52, post p3305797
Unmatched close paren in newpage 53, post p3305876
Unmatched close paren in newpage 53, post p3305876
Unmatched close paren in newpage 54, post p3305938
Unmatched close paren in newpage 54, post p3305938
Unmatched close paren in newpage 55, post p3306025
Unmatched close paren in newpage 63, post p3306445
Unmatched close paren in newpage 66, post p3306619
Unmatched close paren in newpage 67, post p3306633
Unmatched close paren in newpage 75, post p3307050
Unmatched close paren in newpage 80, post p3307303
Unmatched close paren in newpage 80, post p3307335
Unmatched close paren in newpage 86, post p3307686
Unmatched close paren in newpage 86, post p3307686
Unmatched close paren in newpage 89, post p3307825
Unmatched close paren in newpage 109, post p3308958
Unmatched close paren in newpage 119, post p3309476
Unmatched close paren in newpage 121, post p3309596
Unmatched close paren in newpage 160, post p3311967
Unmatched close paren in newpage 160, post p3311967
Unmatched close paren in newpage 160, post p3311977
Unmatched close paren in newpage 160, post p3311992
Unmatched close paren in newpage 161, post p3312009
Unmatched close paren in newpage 161, post p3312013
Unmatched close paren in newpage 162, post p3312084
Unmatched close paren in newpage 165, post p3312255
Unmatched close paren in newpage 184, post p3313279
Unmatched close paren in newpage 191, post p3313664
Unmatched close paren in newpage 192, post p3313740
Unmatched close paren in newpage 192, post p3313774
Unmatched close paren in newpage 250, post p3319949
Unmatched close paren in newpage 268, post p3321518
Unmatched close paren in newpage 298, post p3324913
Unmatched close paren in newpage 340, post p3329308
Unmatched close paren in newpage 343, post p3329636
Unmatched close paren in newpage 343, post p3329636
Unmatched close paren in newpage 367, post p3332762
Unmatched close paren in newpage 367, post p3332762
Unmatched close paren in newpage 373, post p3333653
Unmatched close paren in newpage 373, post p3333653
Unmatched close paren in newpage 380, post p3334527
Unmatched close paren in newpage 380, post p3334562
Unmatched close paren in newpage 383, post p3334818
Unmatched close paren in newpage 397, post p3336847
Unmatched close paren in newpage 400, post p3337257
Unmatched close paren in newpage 401, post p3337324
Unmatched close paren in newpage 459, post p3342226
Unmatched close paren in newpage 460, post p3342344
Unmatched close paren in newpage 471, post p3343191
Unmatched close paren in newpage 504, post p3345545
Unmatched close paren in newpage 504, post p3345554
Unmatched close paren in newpage 504, post p3345555
Unmatched close paren in newpage 504, post p3345565
Unmatched close paren in newpage 504, post p3345577
Unmatched close paren in newpage 505, post p3345633
Unmatched close paren in newpage 510, post p3346048
Unmatched close paren in newpage 511, post p3346158
Unmatched close paren in newpage 511, post p3346168
Unmatched close paren in newpage 512, post p3346234
Unmatched close paren in newpage 514, post p3346348
Unmatched close paren in newpage 514, post p3346363
Unmatched close paren in newpage 514, post p3346431
Unmatched close paren in newpage 514, post p3346431
Unmatched close paren in newpage 519, post p3346825
Unmatched close paren in newpage 567, post p3350675
Unmatched close paren in newpage 567, post p3350684
Unmatched close paren in newpage 574, post p3351353
Unmatched close paren in newpage 578, post p3351835
Unmatched close paren in newpage 581, post p3352100
Unmatched close paren in newpage 582, post p3352249
Unmatched close paren in newpage 582, post p3352273
Unmatched close paren in newpage 584, post p3352464
Unmatched close paren in newpage 584, post p3352464
Unmatched close paren in newpage 595, post p3353623
Unmatched close paren in newpage 597, post p3353770
Unmatched close paren in newpage 598, post p3353841
Unmatched close paren in newpage 599, post p3353949
Unmatched close paren in newpage 606, post p3354903
Unmatched close paren in newpage 606, post p3354903
Unmatched close paren in newpage 609, post p3355250
Unmatched close paren in newpage 609, post p3355250
Unmatched close paren in newpage 610, post p3355315
Unmatched close paren in newpage 610, post p3355315
Unmatched close paren in newpage 610, post p3355316
Unmatched close paren in newpage 610, post p3355317
Unmatched close paren in newpage 612, post p3355653
Unmatched close paren in newpage 612, post p3355653
Unmatched close paren in newpage 614, post p3355777
Unmatched close paren in newpage 615, post p3355935
Unmatched close paren in newpage 615, post p3355960
Unmatched close paren in newpage 619, post p3356251
Unmatched close paren in newpage 631, post p3357333
Unmatched close paren in newpage 631, post p3357333
Unmatched close paren in newpage 634, post p3357616
Unmatched close paren in newpage 635, post p3357740
Unmatched close paren in newpage 635, post p3357740
Unmatched close paren in newpage 636, post p3357874
Unmatched close paren in newpage 636, post p3357878
Unmatched close paren in newpage 636, post p3357884
Unmatched close paren in newpage 642, post p3358425
Unmatched close paren in newpage 645, post p3358838
Unmatched close paren in newpage 645, post p3358838
Unmatched close paren in newpage 649, post p3359237
Unmatched close paren in newpage 649, post p3359250
Unmatched close paren in newpage 653, post p3359499
Unmatched close paren in newpage 655, post p3359682
Unmatched close paren in newpage 655, post p3359682
Unmatched close paren in newpage 656, post p3359826
Unmatched close paren in newpage 656, post p3359826
Unmatched close paren in newpage 656, post p3359827
Unmatched close paren in newpage 656, post p3359827
Unmatched close paren in newpage 658, post p3360059
Unmatched close paren in newpage 658, post p3360059
Unmatched close paren in newpage 659, post p3360153
Unmatched close paren in newpage 667, post p3361225
Unmatched close paren in newpage 670, post p3361465
Unmatched close paren in newpage 689, post p3363442
Unmatched close paren in newpage 692, post p3363779
Unmatched close paren in newpage 692, post p3363821
Unmatched close paren in newpage 693, post p3364021
Unmatched close paren in newpage 706, post p3365392
Unmatched close paren in newpage 707, post p3365454
Unmatched close paren in newpage 716, post p3366605
Unmatched close paren in newpage 719, post p3366904
Unmatched close paren in newpage 721, post p3367124
Unmatched close paren in newpage 723, post p3367363
Unmatched close paren in newpage 723, post p3367364
Unmatched close paren in newpage 723, post p3367403
Unmatched close paren in newpage 724, post p3367416
Unmatched close paren in newpage 728, post p3367845
Unmatched close paren in newpage 729, post p3367934
Unmatched close paren in newpage 730, post p3368033
Unmatched close paren in newpage 732, post p3368228
Unmatched close paren in newpage 737, post p3368711
Unmatched close paren in newpage 737, post p3368711
Unmatched close paren in newpage 739, post p3369028
Unmatched close paren in newpage 740, post p3369050
Unmatched close paren in newpage 740, post p3369050
Unmatched close paren in newpage 784, post p3374921
Unmatched close paren in newpage 785, post p3375079
Unmatched close paren in newpage 785, post p3375098
Unmatched close paren in newpage 795, post p3376242
Unmatched close paren in newpage 795, post p3376255
Unmatched close paren in newpage 795, post p3376274
Unmatched close paren in newpage 796, post p3376319
There are 4 unmatched open parens.
Last post was p3377695

Who's with me to begin a Quest to fix the Past? I've already closed the parens left open.
Last edited by Pikrass on Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:26 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:25 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:turn-ONG
And dropping the rock.

TheMinim wrote:Heh heh heh. You may never know.

Rats.

I notice that the rock has a trail behind it. Like the beesnake. Does that mean that the trail/train/tail of the beesnake is just a graphic by Randall showing its loopy zigzag path, and not an actual trail, but an afterimage-of-movement, so to speak?

I think the beesnake isn't a beesnake at all; just a moving bug.

(Also "facebug" is faster to say in shock than "oh-my-ghod-there's-a-bug-on-my-face!")

<preparing to be pelted with chocolate>

CasCatBlitzgirl the fast
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”