1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:33 pm UTC

The Last Time Waiter, Chapter 7: Record, Understand, Consider, Part 1

Spoiler:

“It is purpose that created us, purpose that connects us, purpose that pulls us, that guides us, that drives us; it is purpose that defines us, purpose that binds us.” — Smith
Spoiler:
Director Kieryn wrote:His analyses and interpretations of the Frames are so profound… he discovered things we'd never noticed and assigned meanings we'd never think of in a thousand years! I'll be glad to be replaced by someone that capable.

Director Kieryn was rapt with the result of seven years of extensive work and research. It had worked out much better than he'd dared to hope.

“You still haven't answered my question: what's the purpose of this work?”

The Engineer wrote:But we still have a problem. He still doesn't understand how important this work is. And, to be honest, nor do I.

A female voice coming from behind startled them.

The Arch-Cardinal wrote:We don't know if there is a purpose on all this. But you've seen: the Frames change. They tell a story. And given the way we got access to them…

“Perhaps it would be beneficial to my understanding of the matter if I was given access to the device which produces these images. I promise I will observe it and will try not to cause any damage.”

The Engineer wrote:Which is a very interesting story on its own, as I recall it. I was thinking that maybe he'd be able to better understand what he is doing if he could see the origin of his work.

“I can see hesitation on her expression.”

The Arch-Cardinal wrote:No human had access to the Source Chamber since we sealed it, fifty years ago. But then, he is no human, and for some reason I trust him.

The Arch-Cardinal wrote:In the old times, before the disappearance of our Pope, she would be the one to accept or reject your request. But since she is gone, and the Archduchess is not here to interfere, that's not my call.

The Archduchess closed her eyes, deep in thought.

“She will let us go.”

She sighed.

The Arch-Cardinal wrote:Alright. Let's go, Michael.

Now you should ask yourself: where is the Archduchess? And, more importantly, what happened to the Pope?
Last edited by AluisioASG on Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:32 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:37 pm UTC

Well, you're the pope of this newpage, Aluisio! And with a nice update too! :D
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

ergman

Postby ergman » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:51 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:The Last Time Waiter, Chapter 7: Record, Understand, Consider, Part 1

Spoiler:

“It is purpose that created us, purpose that connects us, purpose that pulls us, that guides us, that drives us; it is purpose that defines us, purpose that binds us.” — Smith
“Wisdom is dead. Long live information.” — Mason Cooley
Spoiler:
Director Kieryn wrote:His analyses and interpretations of the Frames are so profound… he discovered things we'd never noticed and assigned meanings we'd never think of in a thousand years! I'll be glad to be replaced by someone that capable.

Director Kieryn was rapt with the result of seven years of extensive work and research. It had worked out much better than he'd dared to hope.

“You still haven't answered my question: what's the purpose of this work?”

The Engineer wrote:But we still have a problem. He still doesn't understand how important this work is. And, to be honest, nor do I.

A female voice coming from behind startled them.

The Arch-Cardinal wrote:We don't know if there is a purpose on all this. But you've seen: the Frames change. They tell a story. And given the way we got access to them…

“Perhaps it would be beneficial to my understanding of the matter if I was given access to the device which produces these images. I promise I will observe it and will try not to cause any damage.”

The Engineer wrote:Which is a very interesting story on its own, as I recall it. I was thinking that maybe he'd be able to better understand what he is doing if he could see the origin of his work.

“I can see hesitation on her expression.”

The Arch-Cardinal wrote:No human had access to the Source Chamber since we sealed it, fifty years ago. But then, he is no human, and for some reason I trust him.

The Arch-Cardinal wrote:In the old times, before the disappearance of our Pope, she would be the one to accept or reject your request. But since she is gone, and the Archduchess is not here to interfere, that's not my call.

The Archduchess closed her eyes, deep in thought.

“She will let us go.”

She sighed.

The Arch-Cardinal wrote:Alright. Let's go, Michael.

Now you should ask yourself: where is the Archduchess? And, more importantly, what happened to the Pope?

Uh.. 'Who is the pope?' Is my question.
But great chapter alusoslsolsisolio, and the art is beautiful. I particularly love how the dragons reflection is from the sketch you posted earlier.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:00 pm UTC

steeply go-ONG up
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:03 pm UTC

Cuegan could really use the help of some supersized sparrow-raptors right now... or maybe a dragon.

AluisioASG wrote:
Spoiler:

Gorgeous commission. I love how it turned out. Image
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:26 pm UTC

ergman wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:The Last Time Waiter, Chapter 7: Record, Understand, Consider, Part 1
<snip>

Uh.. 'Who is the pope?' Is my question.
But great chapter alusoslsolsisolio, and the art is beautiful. I particularly love how the dragons reflection is from the sketch you posted earlier.

Who is the Pope?
Well, who are you?
I really wanna know
Tell me, who are you?
'Cause I really wanna know
Tell me, who? Who? Who? Who? Who are you?

I wrote this chapter (the whole story, actually) with Pope Helper the First in mind.
But it seems I'm this page Pope!
So, I want (papal decree) everybody to wait for it.
And, we need more stories here!
Selecting new quote…

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:40 pm UTC

WHEEEEEE!!!!!!
Ahem.... sorry....

And, for your edumification, here is one of my favorite Lewis Carroll logic puzzles as a child:
-No one takes in the Times, unless he is well educated.
-No hedgehogs can read.
-Those who cannot read are not well educated.

On an unrelated note, now that I have begun playing Portal, this whole "cake" thing has a WHOLE new meaning for me!

And now some seaish responses:
Spoiler:
ucim wrote:Wecome back BuffyGirl! (and I now realize that this is a catsup to my catsup!)

Jose

Thank you, Jose!

pelrigg wrote:Oh, AND buffygirl. Hello, milady, how have you been?

Just ducky, Pelrigg! How 'bout yourself?

BlitzGirl wrote:That's not very nice. You shouldn't foreshadow buffygirl's tragic end without wrapping it in a spoiler tag.

My tragic end? MY tragic end?!?? So you think, young missy...

AluisioASG wrote:The Last Time Waiter, revised chapter 2: Ambush; dedicated to the Forever Perfect Milliner, buffygirl.

Awww, dedicated to little ol' me?

AluisioASG wrote:@buffygirl: You mentioned being married before, right? Don't worry, Lord Mustard won't appear again in the story (as far as I am aware). And no, your rivalry with the Archduchess is not because of him. You know, meddling kids…

nod nods, yes, I am married. And this rivalry is all a misunderstanding! We love each other. Right, Blitzy? :twisted:

Vytron wrote:Hey xall! Still trapped in the past, distance increasing...
But I got some hats to give! First, akacat! Who asked for a hat loooong time ago! But here it is! Thanks for waiting for it!
The next one is for taixzo, hope you like it!

Great hats, Vytron!!

Vytron wrote:I also updated all my avatars so they carry buffygirl's awesilly hat 8-)

Awww! Fabulous! I feel honored!

Flado wrote:Hi FutureFolk! Here's a quick shout from the past to explain why I'm so far behind and brag about my devotion to the OTT: this week, I watched an entire TV show (14 episodes) and a movie just to be able to fully appreciate Eternal Density's avatar. Top that!

A very worthwhile endeavor, Flado!

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:41 pm UTC

Great story jovialbard! I hope it continues!

And AluisioASG - great to see more updates to TLTW. This is turning out really nicely.

Exodies wrote:We could discuss euro € - the plural of which is euro. Two euros is wrong. But isn't that true of any measurement unit? Ten gram, four centimetre, eight volt. Pluralising them is a colloquialism, not standard usage.
This ten euro hat cost me twelve dollars, and this five dollar cake only cost four euros last week. It costs more now. A twenty gram letter costs fifty cents to mail; a letter that weighs twenty-five grams costs the same. The envelope is fifteen centimeters by twenty centimeters, so I can't put a forty centimeter ruler in it without folding it. And when a 1.5 volt battery only puts out 1.1 volts, it's pretty much shot.

It's an noun-adjective thing, mainly.

AluisioASG wrote:So, I want (papal decree) everybody to wait for it.
And, we need more stories here!
Another Clerics scene is coming soon! I promise!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:47 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:WHEEEEEE!!!!!!

Nice to see you here!

What reminds me of:

Can…
anybody…
find me…
some hat to have on?

(this would give a great filk!)

I can provide more space for the hat if necessary.

ucim wrote:And AluisioASG - great to see more updates to TLTW. This is turning out really nicely.

Thank you. I miss your reviews.
Selecting new quote…

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:58 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:Thank you. I miss your reviews.
I'm glad you find them of use. I've been consumed by heretical activities, and am under Papal Orders to write more myself! I also want to be careful to not come off as an English teacher grading an essay. :) I'll soon give the whole series a read, start to finish, rather than in out-of-order pieces, then I will have more coherent (and perhaps more helpful) suggestions. :)

Meanwhile, there is the prime directive!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:00 pm UTC

Ever higher we're a go-ONG
-- Charlie Grumbles

Hertzog

Postby Hertzog » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:12 pm UTC

Cueball is kind of crowding Megan that close to the edge :| Hope he doesn't cause her to lose her balance!

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:19 pm UTC

This ketchup post is so long, I think I'll split it into multiple sub-ketchups!

@jovialbard, ucim, Earthling on Mars - singular vs plural
Spoiler:
jovialbard wrote:
Earthling on Mars wrote:
jovialbard wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
jovialbard wrote:
ucim wrote:No, "y'all" is singular. The plural is "all y'all"

I think you mean ambiguous. Y'all refers to a select group which could be singular or plural e.g. "How y'all doin". All y'all is always plural and refers to a general group, or everyone within ear shot "All y'all listen up now".

Edit: Of course there's also "yous guys" if you're in the vicinity of New Jersey.

Edit2: Everything old is new again, again, again, again...

Legos. Discuss.

But I do call a single brick a lego, and a pile of them legos. Also you could say that the sandbox is full of sands if you are sand connoisseur and have assembled a collection of exotic sands from around the world, separating each different sand variety into a different area of the sand box.

No, no, let's not bring up the legos thing again. Let's talk about rices this time. Because with that, EVERYBODY uses the word wrong.

Generally, if you think of something as a collection of discrete elements you append an s. If you think of it as a volume or body, you do not. Rice, sand, water, and for some people Lego is a body or volume. I see legos as a collection of discrete pieces. For a mouse rices might actually make sense as a term.

e.g. "Hey Mickey, are you going to eat all 5 of those rices?"

Relevant to this conversation is the French partitive article - "du" for singular masculine, "de la" for singular feminine, and "des" for plural. A parallel can be drawn between this and the english "some" - e.g. "I'll have some milk" might be "Je vais avoid du lait" in French. The rules for whether or not you use the partitive or the indefinite/enumerative (a word I just came up with to describe when you count nouns) follow closely with this discussion - do you count it discretely? Or is it a big mass (like a pile of rice, or a jug of milk)? Ultimately its determined by general agreement, from what I remember. Just like in english, some things just make sense to pluralize, and others naturally don't, and it'll vary depending on dialect, probably.

There's probably the same concept which could be explained using only English grammar but to me it makes more sense in the context of french because that's the way I learned of the mechanics of it.

@mscha, mathrec, ucim - extra dimensions
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:
mathrec wrote:There's been quite a discussion about math and relativity. I had to think about what to quote...
<snip>
I'm 100% with Charlie on the understanding that mathematical models imitate reality. It's not that reality uses math.

Where I diverge significantly is that I disagree about the "reality" of things that we cannot observe directly with our senses. Let's leave quarks out the discussion for the moment, because you'd need to be familiar with the experimental design and results that suggest that quarks are "real" not just explanatory. We can have the discussion about electrons, which are just as unobservable to the human senses and behave in ways that are just as counterintuitive to the ways that we observe everyday objects.

If you accept things like books and sunshine as "real", then that is no different from accepting electrons as "real", once you understand the types of experiments that let us observe electrons. You might not know everything about a book (or about "books"), but you don't doubt that books are real. Some of the things you may understand about books might even be wrong, but that wouldn't make "books" be unreal. In the same way, physicists understand the observations of electrons in a way that leads them to accept that electrons are real, not just explanatory concepts.

(The same statement is also true about quarks. But that would not have been true 30 years ago. There was definite discussion then about whether quarks were real or merely explanatory.)

So what would you say about string theory? That stuff is way, way, way over my head, but in some versions, like M-theory, you need eleven dimensions to make the theory work.
Is there anyone who would think that those dimensions might be ‘real’, and not just a model to make the calculations work?

*raises hand*

I read a very convincing argument in a book by Brain Greene speculating that our universe could exist on a 3-dimensional membrane (and hence our 3 observed dimensions), which floats around in an 11-dimensional extra-space. Alternatively, the other 8 dimensions could be "folded up" into calabi-yau manifolds in every single point in space so that we move through them without even knowing it - this one's a bit harder to visualize but somehow made sense to me when I read it.

I like thinking about that kind of stuff, though, so maybe I'm biased towards the idea that extradimensional space is an actual thing.

ucim wrote:
ttscp wrote:As I understand it, all the extra dimensions of string theory are rolled up very tightly so we can't perceive them. I imagine a sheet of paper (2D) rolled up into a line so the inhabitants of the space can perceive only one dimension. Supporters of string theory would tell you that those extra dimensions are as real as quarks.
To me, a dimension is "big enough" if you can "do something" with it, such as move around in it. I'm not sure what meaning (besides a mathematical convenience) can be ascribed to a dimension that is small enough so that you can't do anything with it, such as a second dimension rolled up like a straw, but smaller than the Planck length.
ttscp wrote:Want a mind blowing theory, that, as far as I know, is less controversial? The Holographic Principle: all the information inside a three dimensional space can be encoded on its surface. The wikipedia article is here. Although the article mentions string theory, I think it is actually independent of the rest of it. The implication is that our perceived 3D reality may be 'really' 2DH.
I wonder if this is just a corollary to the fact that there are as many points in a finite region of N dimensional space as there are in K dimensional space, where N and K are any two positive integers. The proof simply relies on the density of the real numbers.
Jose

Good point. I suppose at the end of the day, any concept concerning the fundamental nature of spacetime which is not obviously apparent to us is probably just something that's fun to think about.

@yappobiscuits, jovialbard - revisions/homework
Spoiler:
yappobiscuits wrote:
jovialbard wrote:But the thing about English is that as crazy as it is, we somehow know to put the "the" in front of rivers, oceans, deserts, mountains, boats and not in front of states, people, roads and so on. HOW???

Another interesting linguistic difference that I'm not sure y'all are aware of:
revisions (British) = homework (American)
I still don't believe it, part of me is waiting for one the fine fellow from across the sea to correct me, but I"m pretty sure that's accurate. See to us Yankees the term revisions is reserved for what you do between drafts of an essay.

Not as far as I'm aware... For schoolwork you do at home, we call it homework. Revision is a term for studying for exams. (In that you're revising, i.e. going back over the stuff you learned over the course of the year)

And the first one... yeah, but I'm not sure about mountains... you don't say "The Mount Everest" or "The Ben Nevis" or "The Kilimanjaro", sure there's the odd exception like "The Matterhorn" but certainly not usually. Mountain ranges though, yes. Maybe that's what you meant anyway. Silly me.

Wouldn't that be "revisiting?" Crazy brits...

@AluisioASG - TLTW dragons, other storywriters
Spoiler:
AluisioASG wrote:The Last Time Waiter, Chapter 5: Not Exactly What I Had in Mind

-snipped9

Also, ChronosDragon and Dracomax: interested on being part of the story? Just a warning: the character in question is the Archduchess' (BlitzGirl) “pet”.

No offense to Blitzgirl (I'm sure she treats her pets very well...), but I'm more the walking-upright-hat-tipping species of dragon than the quadrupedal-companion-steed type. Might get a little...weird...

That being said, I wouldn't object persay...

AluisioASG wrote:I wonder... am I the only active long story writer here?
What happened to the others?

I'm still here! Just, haven't had the time to work on The Case of the Little River...and I'm not certain where I'm going with the plot. Need to do some storyboarding before I continue.

@flotter, pfhorrest - cyclic time
Spoiler:
Flotter wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:Let's adopt the singular "they" and the royal "we" and do away with I/he/she/it like we did away with "thou".

Then w'all can adopt "w'all" and "th'all" as the plurals of "we" and "they" just like "y'all" is the plural of "you".

:lol:

This is definitive proof that Time is cyclical. We've already had a discussion about the meaning and use of "y'all" on NewPage 56, though the word didn't really catch on. Some people started using it, others didn't and I expect the same will happen again this time.

Personally I'm a big fan of "y'all" (but only in the OTT, not in everyday life).

In this circumstance, I was under the impression it was already embedded in our thread-culture as a result of that discussion, and thus was brought up again partially in reference to the old discussion. Maybe not, though, maybe that's just my brain juices making connections to things that don't need connections. In the end, though, it's all connected.

@Valarya - lenticular clouds
Spoiler:
Valarya wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:I'm hungry - who wants more cupcakes? Image

*raises hand* Image

I want to marry whomever made those cupcakes. And these:

In other news... my dad just posted the following picture on facebook with the caption 'Neat.' It's ALL related.

It's the aliens! They've infiltrated our wind farms and are stealing our energy! Image

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:34 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:Can…
anybody…
find me…
some hat to have on?

*whispers behind hand*
Here's a temporary bootlegged hat for ya, just 'cause I'm a fan, see?
*slides hat under table*

Spoiler:
TLTWHattage.png
TLTWHattage.png (41.32 KiB) Viewed 14297 times
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:55 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:Also, ChronosDragon and Dracomax: interested on being part of the story? Just a warning: the character in question is the Archduchess' (BlitzGirl) “pet”.

No offense to Blitzgirl (I'm sure she treats her pets very well...), but I'm more the walking-upright-hat-tipping species of dragon than the quadrupedal-companion-steed type. Might get a little...weird...

It's not a literal pet.
But I new realize it's not a match for any of you (or anyone here, for that matter). It's more of the follow orders, "come and see" folk.

Hmm... perhaps I should rename the next chapter "Come and See" :twisted:

ChronosDragon wrote:
Valarya wrote:In other news... my dad just posted the following picture on facebook with the caption 'Neat.' It's ALL related.Image

It's the aliens! They've infiltrated our wind farms and are stealing our energy! Image

Stupid aliens... don't they know we have a giant nuclear reactor a few hundreds of millions of kilometers from here?

BlitzGirl wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:Can…
anybody…
find me…
some hat to have on?

*whispers behind hand*
Here's a temporary bootlegged hat for ya, just 'cause I'm a fan, see?
*slides hat under table*

Hm. The Fresh Prince of Newpixia.
I don't think it fits Michael's personality, but I'll accept it temporarily.
Selecting new quote…

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:00 am UTC

continu-ONG
-- Charlie Grumbles

HES

Postby HES » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:11 am UTC

Inadvertently only responding to Buffygirl, but if I break it up into several quotes nobody will notice...
buffygirl wrote:WHEEEEEE!!!!!!

Welcome back! (from heretical holiday if I recall correctly?) Haven't seen much of you lately...
buffygirl wrote:On an unrelated note, now that I have begun playing Portal, this whole "cake" thing has a WHOLE new meaning for me!
...except on steam. Hope you've enjoyed it, the first time through is always the best

buffygirl wrote:
Flado wrote:Hi FutureFolk! Here's a quick shout from the past to explain why I'm so far behind and brag about my devotion to the OTT: this week, I watched an entire TV show (14 episodes) and a movie just to be able to fully appreciate Eternal Density's avatar. Top that!

A very worthwhile endeavor, Flado![/spoiler]

And the episodes last just short of a newpix (except the first one, which is seaish but treeish), perfect!
He/Him/His Image

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:24 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:Also, ChronosDragon and Dracomax: interested on being part of the story? Just a warning: the character in question is the Archduchess' (BlitzGirl) “pet”.

It's not a literal pet.
But I new realize it's not a match for any of you (or anyone here, for that matter). It's more of the follow orders, "come and see" folk.

Now, whatever could that mean?

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:24 am UTC

Given I am still Pope of this page, I'll go and publish the next part of The Last Time Waiter, Chapter 7: Record, Understand, Consider:

Spoiler:
Three keys and a thick titanium-lined door. They really don't want anyone to go inside.

The Arch-Cardinal wrote:It's all yours, Michael. Just… don't touch it.

The view inside this chamber is really uncommon. Even through the device is right now in its bi-dimensional configuration, I can feel the orbit the reactors were traveling through just a few iterations ago. And… there is something more. The reactors… they aren't simply reactors, are they? They have an other dimension I'm unable to access or comprehend.

What about that cube? Seems to be a simple metal box, except by the weird energy absorption pattern. It's like all the energy disappeared… And now it varies, in a interesting pattern; it's like if it was trying to communicate with me and…

Michael stood still, watching the device, for about half an hour. The Arch-Cardinal wasn't sure if it was safe to call him, or even leave him unsupervised. Luckily for her, the Raghnall eventually came to search for them, worried that something might have happened.

The Engineer wrote:Why are you taking so long?

The Arch-Cardinal wrote:I don't know. He is just there, observing, motionless.

The Engineer wrote:Hmm. Whiskey, Oscar, Romeo, Mike!

The dragon quickly moved his head as if it was a dog who had seen a squirrel.

The Engineer wrote:Michael, what's going on with you, buddy?

Michael tilted his head as if the question didn't make any sense to him.

The Engineer wrote:Did you get any answers?

The answer was negative.

The dragon then moved out of the chamber and to the Records Room, where a set of instruments mirrored the latest Frame and meticulous records of every Frame, as well as observations and possible meanings, were kept. Once he was out of earshot, the Engineer expressed his concerns for his creation's behavior.

The Engineer wrote:I feel like as he was hiding something, but I can't think of why he would do that. Especially from me.

There is one more part remaining of Chapter 7. It will feature the Archduchess and a new character.
And it needs a name, too.
Selecting new quote…

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:28 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:

It's not a literal pet.

Now, whatever could that mean?

About the dragon: wait and see :wink:

About the smiley: I couldn't find the right one; it would be one of those folks who carry a plate on the streets and warn us about our impending doom.

In any case, the next chapter's epigraph is (from Michael's POV): “and if you wish to know peace you must come to know pain”.
Selecting new quote…

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:00 am UTC

some scramble-ONG
-- Charlie Grumbles

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:12 am UTC

I'm a page late for the cupcakes, because this one took some time to make:

Spoiler:

Apologies to anyone allergic to autostereograms.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:12 am UTC

SEAISH

ZoomanSP wrote:Before the page ends - here are some molpycupcakes (but do these favor the Africanists, the Australianists (are they any? well, at least we speculated about an echidna), or others?):
Spoiler:

Ha ha, IT'S ALL AFRICA! Image

ChronosDragon wrote:
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:So what would you say about string theory? That stuff is way, way, way over my head, but in some versions, like M-theory, you need eleven dimensions to make the theory work.
Is there anyone who would think that those dimensions might be ‘real’, and not just a model to make the calculations work?

*raises hand*

I read a very convincing argument in a book by Brain Greene speculating that our universe could exist on a 3-dimensional membrane (and hence our 3 observed dimensions), which floats around in an 11-dimensional extra-space. Alternatively, the other 8 dimensions could be "folded up" into calabi-yau manifolds in every single point in space so that we move through them without even knowing it - this one's a bit harder to visualize but somehow made sense to me when I read it.

Brian Greene is talented that way. The way he turns quantum physics theories into metaphors makes it much easier to wrap your mind around. I don't have anything else to add to the discuss because, as interesting as I find quantum physics (and think about it a lot), it's still way over my head.

AluisioASG wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
Spoiler:
Valarya wrote:In other news... my dad just posted the following picture on facebook with the caption 'Neat.' It's ALL related.Image

Stupid aliens... don't they know we have a giant nuclear reactor a few hundreds of millions of kilometers from here?

That's the jo.... oh crap. Those reptilians are too smart for us.

HES wrote:
buffygirl wrote:On an unrelated note, now that I have begun playing Portal, this whole "cake" thing has a WHOLE new meaning for me!
...except on steam. Hope you've enjoyed it, the first time through is always the best

Indeed it is. I sometimes wish I could get one of those little MiB mind-eraser things for certain games so I can experience them fresh all over again. A couple Shin Megami Tensei JRPGs come to mind. And Portal, of course. At least I'm finally getting to play through the co-op! Jovialbard and I played lots of maps the other night and it was a great time. Can't wait to go through some more.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:45 am UTC

Found this smiley, thought I'd share: Image

The dearth of posts that marks the Outside Week-End approaches! Stock up on OTTness while you can! Image
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:02 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Found this smiley, thought I'd share: Image

The dearth of posts that marks the Outside Week-End approaches! Stock up on OTTness while you can! Image

Oh wipend... thank goodness. Because for a moment there, I thought my double papacy is what caused the silence all day. Image

(that's my favorite time smiley so far)
Spoiler:
Wait for It. Image
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:06 am UTC

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:10 am UTC

BROBDONGNAG...

-- posted by newpixbot
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:12 am UTC

In my defense, I was busying making that photomanip... :oops:

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:13 am UTC

cellocgw wrote:
Montov wrote:Why would anyone punch a plant?

Too easy: to get some Planter's Punch.

That is awfulsome. (As opposed to awesomeful.)
jovialbard wrote:And now for something completely different.

A short story! Someone mentioned a lack of long-form writers, and while this isn't long form perhaps it will slate your thirst for fanfic, if only briefly.

Spoiler:
Megan brushed the dust off as she settled down on the edge of a ridge. Her body was sore all over, but the good kind, the kind that tells you you've had a day worth living. She gazed out over the land before her, the journey she had taken so far, from the tall trees to the rolling dunes and down to the sea, glistening in the ruddy glow of the setting sun.

“It really is beautiful.” Cue said as he lowered himself onto the ridge beside her.

“Yeah” Megan replied turning to look at him. “Why have we never gone this far before? It's amazing.”

“I don’t know” Cue said and then seemed to laugh. “I guess I can add that to the list.”

“We can’t see the sandcastle from here... I wonder how much is left.” Megan’s voice was sad as she pictured the walls of the castle collapsing. Then, without warning, she seemed happy again.

“What are you thinking?” Cue asked, genuinely curious.

“Oh, I’m remembering flinging rocks, and building scaffolds, and that central tower you made the looked like the rest of the sandcastle, only smaller. That was neat. It’s better to remember the good times than to think about what was lost.”

“Yeah... that’s true.”

"And anyway, there's always more new things, and there couldn't be new things if all you had was old things all the time." Megan turned and looked at Cue. She realized then that on this whole long trip she had never been lonely. Cue claimed to not know a lot, but he was pretty smart.

“It’s cold up here, and the wind is getting chilly.” Cue observed rubbing his arms.

Megan looked around and noticed an outcropping of rock not far away. “We could go over there, that might protect us from the wind a little.”

“Yeah.” Cue replied, and they walked in silence to the shelter of stone. They walked in silence a lot, Megan realized. She wasn’t sure why, there were so many amazing things around to talk about. But maybe that was it, being so absorbed in their surroundings they didn’t have time for conversation. Even if they did she almost felt like idle chatter would ruin the magic in the air. In all honesty, she realized she didn’t even mind the silence. She wasn’t alone and it was just nice to have Cue with her, to see this world together.

They reached the outcropping of rock and dumped their bags on the ground. They ate some berries, but their packs were getting lighter. As the cold of night settled in they shivered against the rock.

“At least it’s not windy here.” Cue observed again. “But it’s still pretty cold.”

Megan though for a moment, watching Cue hug his own body for warmth. “Maybe if we got closer we could keep each other warm.”

Cue seemed to think for a moment and said “Yeah, that makes sense.”

Megan scooted herself along the hard rock and leaned against Cue. It was warmer this way. “I wonder what we’ll see tomorrow.” She mused.

Cue tilted his head slightly and said “I don’t know, I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.”

“Yeah.” Megan yawned as she closed her eyes. She felt Cue stirring next her as she remembered the cute little spiky creature they had met that day. She smiled to herself as she drifted off to sleep.

Jovialbard, that is just lovely! Awesomeful!

thirds wrote:I think they're going to have a hard time getting up those slopes

I'm getting tired just looking at those slopes.

azule wrote:
kenmelken wrote:Now, for my prediction I will keep things rather tame, unlike all the SUPER OUT-THERE theories proposed thus far:
Spoiler:
Upon reaching the top of the boulder, they'll finally notice the molpy. Megan won't be terrified of it, but she will be startled for a moment and jump into Cueball's arms. Gazing into his eyes she'll finally realize that what she has wanted this whole time isn't answers to the literal rising sea, but rather to the rising sea of her passion. Indeed, Cueball is all she's ever really wanted and he knows how to treat her the way she wants to be treated.

"Cueball, I think... I think I love you!" she exclaims before giving him a passionate kiss.

Just then, Cueball laughs, reaches into his bag, and pulls out a black hat.

"You didn't think I was the real Cueball this whole time did you? I've been black-hat guy traveling incognito the entire Time! I fed Cueball to the people in the hills. And now you've fallen in love with me and I'm going to marry you."

Horrified at the realization of his long-wrought subterfuge and manipulation of her feelings, Megan leaps from his arms and pulls from her own bag a whistle.

"What is that? A rape whistle? Nobody is around to hear you."

"No, it's my raptor whistle," she responds.

She blows the whistle to summon a raptor army to come to her aid. They emerge from the nearby crevices and surround black-hat guy. Just as they are about to divide his flesh asunder, two helicopters arrive and an effective spread of tranquilizer darts quickly immobilizes the raptors.

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING??!?!" shouts Megan, horrified at the ambush of her raptor friends.

A loudspeaker from the lead chopper responds, "This is the RAZOR division of the CIA. We're keeping the world safe from zombies, should we ever find any, and Raptors, even though they aren't usually dangerous to humans. Our radar showed a potential raptor threat and we were dispatched to take care of it."

Black-hat guy laughs at this stroke of good fortune until Megan shouts, "That guy is a zombie! Get him!"

Just then a stake is shot from the second chopper right through black-hat guy's heart. He falls to his knees, gasping in shock. He takes off his hat and says, "Megan! I really did love you. And I really was Cueball. I was only pretending to be black hat guy as an elaborate and delayed April Fool's day joke."

Megan is horrified at the loss at her hands of the only man she's ever loved, but she's not nearly as dramatic as Juliet, so she gets over it and continues up the Mountain with the rock molpyx.
Blindreplyfromnp2030 - You sucked me in with a prediction, but it was a story. kudos. well done.

I hadn't seen kenmelken's story yet--haven't done my blitzing. OMR, I laughed for five minutes. The last sentence is fantastic.

kenmelken, I think you have the makings of an excellent RAZOR agent. Our recruitment officers will be in touch. Don't worry, they know how to find you.

yappobiscuits wrote:Waterottermolpy cupcakes for all us OTTers :D
Spoiler:

These are too cute to eat! but I would probably find a way.

Ah, this might be the time to start my schizoblitzing! Might actually make some headway.

Edited so I didn't break the forum.
Last edited by lmjb1964 on Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:16 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:14 am UTC

taixzo wrote:I'm a page late for the cupcakes, because this one took some time to make:
Spoiler:

Mongo cool! How do you make them things? Is there existing software to do it, or did you code it by hand?

And doesn't it seem that Cueball is starting to show his stuff?

Jose

Arky

Postby Arky » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:19 am UTC

Cueball is looking up at something. We're either going to get another zoomout frame in a newpix or some dialogue and then the zoomout. Mountain peak or circling eaglolpy?
Veteran of the One True Thread. And now the Too True Thread?

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:23 am UTC

taixzo wrote:I'm a page late for the cupcakes, because this one took some time to make:
Spoiler:

I don't know about that cupcake, it tasted like dirt and left me crosseyed :D

edit: ok, pebbles, but "tasted like pebbles" doesn't have the same ring
Last edited by jovialbard on Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:24 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:23 am UTC

Arky wrote:Cueball is looking up at something. We're either going to get another zoomout frame in a newpix or some dialogue and then the zoomout. Mountain peak or circling eaglolpy?

For me he's looking down at Megan.
Selecting new quote…

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:40 am UTC

Spoiler:

How very cool neat! However, I did almost chip a tooth. Perhaps a more pliable substance would be preferred next time? Maybe mini marshmallows :mrgreen:

I do believe that the current events in Time are something of a sign, for me. My wife and I are incredibly excited about our upcoming trip to Great Smokey Mountains National Park, in about a month. It will be our first time doing multi-day hiking and camping in the mountains. Cuegan's journey shall serve as inspiration during those moment when - and I am certain I shall have many of these - I find myself tired and hesitant to carry on.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:43 am UTC

ucim wrote:
Spoiler:

Mongo cool! How do you make them things? Is there existing software to do it, or did you code it by hand?

Jose

I modeled the cupcake in Blender, used that to render a mask, and then just used http://www.easystereogrambuilder.com to turn it into a stereogram. The hardest part turned out to be getting the fog right in Blender, and it doesn't even show up in the final image.

(The mask looks like this:
Spoiler:
)
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:52 am UTC

taixzo wrote:
ucim wrote:
Spoiler:

Jose

I modeled the cupcake in Blender, used that to render a mask, and then just used http://www.easystereogrambuilder.com to turn it into a stereogram. The hardest part turned out to be getting the fog right in Blender, and it doesn't even show up in the final image.

Spoiler:
)

I've tried numerous times, I just can't see those things. I guess my eyes are too wide set, or don't coordinate the same way human eyes do.

Arky

Postby Arky » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:01 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
Arky wrote:Cueball is looking up at something. We're either going to get another zoomout frame in a newpix or some dialogue and then the zoomout. Mountain peak or circling eaglolpy?

For me he's looking down at Megan.

Yeah, seems you're right.

Ah, the joys of interpreting which way a blank circle is looking.
Veteran of the One True Thread. And now the Too True Thread?

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:02 am UTC

So LONG to this frame:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:14 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
taixzo wrote:
ucim wrote:
Spoiler:

Jose

Spoiler:
)

I've tried numerous times, I just can't see those things. I guess my eyes are too wide set, or don't coordinate the same way human eyes do.

It's not just dragon eyes; feline eyes have trouble with them, too.... <sigh>

(Thanks, Taixzo, for posting the mask so I could see what I was missing.)
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:17 am UTC

HELLLLP! Ok ..... a plea to Portal players for help .....

Spoiler:
Been playing Portal First Slice for several days with no problem. Started over again for fun, and then suddenly it stopped being able to load my saved games. I uninstalled then re-installed both Steam and Portal First Slice. Now I can't hear GLADoS. She's half the fun! I am very annoyed and frustrated. This is off-topic for the OTT, but I don't know where to turn to for help cuz I'm not finding any answers anywhere. :( I'm very sad. Please PM me with any suggestions.

Edit to add: I'm about to cry.
Edit 2: Or maybe break something.

Edit 3: Oh! Page Goat!
Last edited by buffygirl on Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:37 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”