1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

k.bookbinder

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby k.bookbinder » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:40 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:Thanks for the pizzaburger Vytron!
Spoiler:
Quite a bit has happened on that slope. So much tension. I cannot think of the last time in which I felt that Time was so tense. I appreciated everyone's analysis. I do wonder, though, if the journey of Cuegan might not be a somewhat literal illustration of the story as it follows Freytag's dramatic structure. OK, I apologize for the odd soundingness of that previous sentence.

So, dramatic structure is (according to Freytag): exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution. We have the destruction of the Sandcastle and the rising of the sea, which acted as the catalyst for their journey. We know that was the exposition. Perhaps their climb in altitude is a literal representation of the rising action. If they are near the summit, we may soon encounter the climax. They may descend (falling action, of course) and arrive at some resolution. The geography is representative of the dramatic structure, as well as a part of the story, and a source of conflict throughout.

This is my short analysis. I shall return in a few newpix.

Seems odd to have an exposition which is only slightly shorter than the totality of the rising action. I think something else has to happen to extend it out if that was the case.

It is easy to take a dramatic play, and say that, these acts are the exposition, these acts are the rising action, here is the falling action in this act and this one, and now at the end we have the resolution, but only whilst writing or once having observed the whole. Freytag analysis does not require that all five parts are equal. Without realizing it, we have been trying to determine these parts by dividing Time into its periods an eons and so forth. However, as we find, it is difficult to see the action in the present, and know exactly where we are. It is only after Time has passed that we can look back and see the breaks and separations, and know what was significant, and what was merely entertainment.

We do not know how much farther it is until they might reach the summit (if at all). So we could be mid-way through the rising action, or towards the end, or at the beginning. We cannot know just yet.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

HES

Postby HES » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:40 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:P.S. Thanks, BlitzGirl and HES, for sparing me the dreaded double post. Sometimes it seems like the OTT just grinds to a halt when I post, as though everyone is just staring aghast and speechless (textless?) at my latest weird thought.

If in doubt, always assume compliments! I have no justifiable reason to be awake and online at this hour, other than that my coma pattern falls apart when I have nothing to be doing.

As for the colours thing, after wearing UV blocking sunglasses for a while, and taking them off, blues (such as the river I had been cycling alongside) become much blue-er, greens (grass) become blue-er, and sandy-browns (gravel path) become blue-er. I assume this is a similar [http://xkcd.com/326/], as the glasses inhibit a greater range than they need to.
He/Him/His Image

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:41 am UTC

Wow. This is, by large, the biggest chapter of the whole story.

The Last Time Waiter, chapter 8: Come and See, part 3.
Spoiler:
It was her. The being who had give his life meaning for the past four years. The only woman he ever loved.

Tèrag.

Behind her, holding a dagger against her neck, was the Archduchess. And by her side… Michael? No, it couldn't be, he felt something different.

The Archduchess wrote:Your apprentice Angus was a very helpful person. Unfortunately, he didn't know how to keep his mouth shut. Now, I was wondering…

The Engineer wrote:It's always dangerous when you do that.

The Archduchess wrote:Ha ha, funny. Now, the Northern Lights always had so many power… you could take over the entire world if you wanted to. With your knowledge, you could make life better for everyone. You could eradicate famine, pestilence, even death! But you had to keep all these wonders just to yourself, don't you?

Raghnall was silent. She was right. He didn't know why direct intervention was prohibited, just that that order had been given to the first settlers, who had come from the other side of Arkhmud.

The Archduchess wrote:So I thought, “maybe I should show them how it's done”. And now here I am, killing the smartest engineers you have. A bad move, I know, but all the good stuff is kept near the Gateway, from what I heard.

But then, it's not fair to kill everyone; after all, you and your beautiful hare here were the ones who gave me this army. I wouldn't be here if it wasn't by you. So I'll make you an offer: I spare your lives, as long as you don't go against me, and tell me how to defeat Michael, because we both know you gave him something more.

For some reason, he felt Michael had been the purpose of his entire life. There was no point on giving anyone a way to kill him. Even if that resoluteness cost his and his lover's lives. He exchanged glances with Tèrag, and then focused on the Archduchess.

The Engineer wrote:Never.

The Archduchess wrote:Really? You spoke so fast. Don't want to reconsider?

The Engineer stood silent, his eyes speaking everything for him.

The Archduchess wrote:Oh, well. It's a shame I'll have to do this. But, you know what? I kinda like it.

Raghnall and Tèrag exchanged glances one last time, and he crumbled as the Archduchess slowly slit her throat, making her spill blood.

He could very well die right now; at least his suffering would end altogether… but he realized he had given the Archduchess the power of a god; he had unbalanced the world's power. Before anything else, he had to restore balance to his world. And he could die while doing this, but he would have to take the whole city with him.

He wouldn't be able to do it by himself; he needed the others.

The Archduchess wrote:I presume you haven't changed your mind, right?

The Engineer wrote:Go blow yourself up.

The Archduchess wrote:Well, I think I'll let Drèagan-Sìth here have some more fun. Eat him.

As his death traversed the space between them in short steps, the Engineer muttered inaudible words.

Uncertainty, romeo, kilo, …”

Closer and closer.

“…, family, alpha, mike, …”

Hopefully the others would join him in time.

“…, reflections, juliet, os…”

The dragon fiercely ripped his head out. Somehow, however, it managed to produce one last sound.

“…car.”

Ding, dong. The reactor's communicator had received his order, and broadcasted to the other reactor managers.

Ding, dong. The others knew it was the only thing to do. They had to destroy that army before it could leave to the other cities. Even if it costed the life of every citizen of Halcyon. It was a high price, but not doing that would make it even higher.

Ding, dong. Blinding light illuminated the scene, trying to fill the space Halcyon had suddenly left.

Michael shed a single tear.

“I suppose this is what humans call ‘sadness’. But why am I feeling it?”

Going south, a lonely figure crossed the night sky, in order to fulfill its last order.

“If anything happens to me, go south and destroy the Order. Destroy the Source. And destroy Michael.”

Now, if you excuse me, I have to
Spoiler:
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:44 am UTC

Epic TLTWness! Image

StormAngel wrote:M a hoof-molpy, or a molpse?

A ponymolp, or molpyhorse perhaps.

HES wrote:Disney replacing GL, I can deal with. Disney replacing GLR, I cannot. Lucas is a complete moron, and we're lucky that he was stopped from doing some of his ideas. "A long time ago, in the not too distant future..."

Disney's actually about 14 years too late. :P

jjjdavidson wrote:<snip> Has anyone in the last 800-odd pages tried comparing the events of the OTC to famous literary journeys? There are a few parallels, for instance, to The Pilgrim's Progress, though that story's strong religious message seems out of place here. Still, Megball's doubts and hesitations along the way do give their journey something of the feel of a pilgrimage.

Hmm. I do get the allegory-feeling from Time, but I'm unsure. So many stories center around the protagonist's journey that it's rather difficult to make comparisons. And the Sandcastle Era still accounts for almost half of Time so far. Is there a famous story about a pair who built a kingdom together only to watch it be taken from them by a greater power, and then set out on a grand adventure to understand that power? With one of them determined to progress and the other reluctant?

Perhaps it is just the simplicity of Time that makes it feel allegorical. With all of us OTTers reading into every line of dialogue, we may be attributing more meaning to it than actually exists.
*lines up to be pelted with small candies*
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:47 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Epic TLTWness! Image

Thank you very much. Now is the time I kill everyone.
And I shall reserve my 500th post to the Last Chapter.

BlitzGirl wrote:*lines up to be pelted with small candies*

I don't think BlitzGirl the Blitzer can be accused of committing heresy.
Selecting new quote…

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:54 am UTC

You mean... I have... immunity?

*sits down to ponder that*
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:55 am UTC

Uh-oh.
In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
- Albert Schweitzer, philosopher, physician, musician, Nobel laureate (14 Jan 1875-1965)

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:00 am UTC

@AluisioASG: The Last Time Waiter just gets better and better! You have me on the edge of my seat!

Angelastic wrote:As for extra dimensions, you can use a Möbius strip to illustrate how even a tiny extra dimension that we can't travel into gives us an extra property. A Möbius strip is made of a two-dimensional strip, but if you have just a little space in one dimension you can twist it and then join the ends make it into a loop. Try it with a stray Coke bottle label; you can stick the ends together without any extra tape or anything. Then you get two things which remind me of particle physics:

A thing that makes 'spin 1/2' particles make sense. Spin is kind of an abstract property of particles that may not actually have anything to do with spinning, but you can think of it as how many times you will see the same thing each time you spin it 360 degrees. If you have a coffee cup with a handle, you only see the handle once each turn, so it has spin 1. If you have a cup with a handle on each side, you see a handle twice each time you spin it, so it has spin 2. But a spin 1/2 particle is like a coffee cup where you have to turn it around twice just to see the handle once. And a Möbius strip is like that! If you follow around it with your finger, when you go around the strip once, you are on a different side of the strip from before. You have to go around it twice to get to the same place as before.
A thing that has chirality (handedness.) There are two different directions you can twist the strip, and once you've joined the ends together, there is no way that you can make one kind of Möbius strip into the other. Particles also come in two chiralities.

So you can think of the extra dimensions as having just enough space to twist strips of paper or comic strips and turn them into loops, so that the loops have different properties depending on how they're twisted. You don't have to be able to move around in that direction, but if the Möbius strips and other loops happen to be spinning, we'll notice that they have different behaviour.
That is quite insightful - it adds a whole new dimension to my thinking about particle physics and such. Brilliant!

re: false colors
- there is a site (which I can't find right now) with another false color trick. It has a magenta square and a dull blue-green square. You stare at the magenta square for a minute or two (to tire out the red cones), and then scroll down to the dull blue-green square, which appears as brilliant teal. I read also somewhere that shrimp have fourteen different kinds of cones, extending across a wider spectrum than we can see. That must be some awesomeful color-experience they have!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:01 am UTC

Ooft, epic stuff Aluisio! That was like the TLTW equivalent of Game of Thrones season 3 episode 9 if you know what I mean...
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:01 am UTC

LookONG at beesnake

Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:06 am UTC

Imagekay, I've done my bit of philosophizing for the night: Time for some silliness. (I really thought someone already did a version of this, but durned if I can find one.)

The Loco-Molpy
Tune: The Loco-Motion by Little Eva

Everybody is doin' a brand new trick, now
(Come on Waiter, do the Loco-molpy)
You do it when you spot a movement in a newpic, now

Spoiler:
There's little baby squirpies and beesnakes to see
They're hidin' in the grass so hunt 'em 1-2-3
So come on, come on, do the Loco-molpy with me

You got to lay'r those PNGs, now
Come on, Waiter
Zoom in, crop down,
Well, now, you made it dance around

Now that you can do it, let's make a GIF, now
A-red a-green a-changin' if you take the diff, now

Do it in the GIMP or in Photoshop
Once you're molpy-huntin' you won't wanna stop

[Instrumental break]

Move around the screen with a Loco-molpy
You want to keep it movin' so don't hit Control-P*

There's never been a game that's so easy to play
There's molpies crawlin', flyin', climbin' night and day
So come on, come on, play the Loco-molpy with me

Image(Thanks, mscha!)

* I don't know how universal this is, but on Windows systems [Ctrl-P] is the usual key combo for printing. (But hey! I found a rhyme for "molpy"!)
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:09 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Ooft, epic stuff Aluisio! That was like the TLTW equivalent of Game of Thrones season 3 episode 9 if you know what I mean...

Sadly I don't :cry:

WAIT! To Wikipedia!
(memegenerator is offline right now)
Selecting new quote…

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:09 am UTC

NO ALUISIO DON'T IT'S A HUGE SPOILER if you ever plan on watching/reading the series!

Honestly Megball, watching a beesnake is more important to you than concluding the discussion?

Nevertheless, with that ONG, the time has come for me to coma. See you next mornternoon, OTTers! Hmm, perhaps I should come up with a non-heretical version of that... Mornternix? Yes. That'll do. See you all in the mornternix!

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:14 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:Plant touchONG

Pondering past newpages... I'm thinking the fountain grass that Megan bopped is millet, maybe pearl millet. I'd probably smack a seed-head too, just to watch it bounce.
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:14 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:NO ALUISIO DON'T IT'S A HUGE SPOILER if you ever plan on watching/reading the series!

Too late.
Anyway, I don't. From what some friends, who are real fans of this, told me, it's not exactly my kind.
In any case, my heart belongs to another series, and my mind, to yet another.
Selecting new quote…

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:16 am UTC

Ah well, no harm done if you don't ever plan to check it out :P

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:31 am UTC

C'mon people! Gimme something to reply to! I want to post the next chapter!
Let's see if I can write a parody of something…
Selecting new quote…

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:33 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:Imagekay, I've done my bit of philosophizing for the night: Time for some silliness. (I really thought someone already did a version of this, but durned if I can find one.)

The Loco-Molpy
Tune: The Loco-Motion by Little Eva

Everybody is doin' a brand new trick, now
You do it when you spot a movement in a newpic, now

Spoiler:
There's little baby squirpies and beesnakes to see
They're hidin' in the grass so hunt 'em 1-2-3

You got to lay'r those PNGs, now
Come on, Waiter
Zoom in, crop down,
Well, now, you made it dance around

Now that you can do it, let's make a GIF, now
A-red a-green a-changin' if you take the diff, now

Do it in the GIMP or in Photoshop
Once you're molpy-huntin' you won't wanna stop

[Instrumental break]

Move around the screen with a Loco-molpy
You want to keep it movin' so don't hit Control-P*

There's never been a game that's so easy to play
There's molpies crawlin', flyin', climbin' night and day
So come on, come on, play the Loco-molpy with me

Image(Thanks, mscha!)

* I don't know how universal this is, but on Windows systems [Ctrl-P] is the usual key combo for printing. (But hey! I found a rhyme for "molpy"!)

Great song! Wonderful filk, before I coma. Tomorrow I shall be hiking up a mountain, much as Cuegan are now. I shall be watching out for many a molpy. Coma well all, and for the rest, keep the faith and wait for it.

Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

EraObserver

Postby EraObserver » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:36 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:You mean... I have... immunity?

I think you have more than enough titles for it...
*Insert witty comment*

jjjdavidson

Postby jjjdavidson » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:45 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Epic TLTWness! Image
jjjdavidson wrote:<snip> Has anyone in the last 800-odd pages tried comparing the events of the OTC to famous literary journeys? There are a few parallels, for instance, to The Pilgrim's Progress, though that story's strong religious message seems out of place here. Still, Megball's doubts and hesitations along the way do give their journey something of the feel of a pilgrimage.

Hmm. I do get the allegory-feeling from Time, but I'm unsure. So many stories center around the protagonist's journey that it's rather difficult to make comparisons. And the Sandcastle Era still accounts for almost half of Time so far. Is there a famous story about a pair who built a kingdom together only to watch it be taken from them by a greater power, and then set out on a grand adventure to understand that power? With one of them determined to progress and the other reluctant?

Perhaps it is just the simplicity of Time that makes it feel allegorical. With all of us OTTers reading into every line of dialogue, we may be attributing more meaning to it than actually exists.
*lines up to be pelted with small candies*

You have a point. It's been so long since the Fading I tend to forget that the story had already been running for five wips at that point.

But we're nearly seven wips into the journey, and I can't shake the feeling that we're way overdue for a "chapter break": a change in the direction the story tension will take. I'm going to make a prediction: By Monday wip, after the next wipend, 9 xip from now, the focus will shift from their journey to [something different].

k.bookbinder wrote:Great song! Wonderful filk, before I coma. Tomorrow I shall be hiking up a mountain, much as Cuegan are now. I shall be watching out for many a molpy. Coma well all, and for the rest, keep the faith and wait for it.

Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...

Thanks! I had fun with this one. Keep safe! Drink lots!

And with that, I go coma. But I'm nearly caught up with the Outside, for once; hopefully tomorrow I can play with data some more (and finish another song). Coma well, fellow Waiters─may your comallucinations lead to new insights. Good night, Mrs. MobTeeseboose, wherever you are!
Edit: Reply to k.bookbinder.
Last edited by jjjdavidson on Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:48 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:46 am UTC

EraObserver wrote:

Hmm... with immunity... comes power...

*ponders some more*
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:52 am UTC

Because I had to convince myself of this while writing TLTW:

Weep not for roads untraveled
Weep not for lands yet dark
'Cause the world is too big and there's too much on it
And I know well this feeling by heart

Give up their hearts and minds
And let them go to kingdom come
'Cause sometimes what you get isn't worth all you've left
And in time you'll want to go home

Weep not for roads untraveled
Weep not for what shall never exist
May your story be tree-ish and if you need a tip,
I'll be waiting for
it right here

BlitzGirl wrote:
EraObserver wrote:

*ponders some more*

Be careful to not attract attention of the demons TPTB.
Selecting new quote…

jjjdavidson

Postby jjjdavidson » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:53 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
EraObserver wrote:

*ponders some more*

Remember: With great immunity comes
Spoiler:
a very short cold and flu season.
Only stayed up long enough to reply because I was Cat-on-Lap. But now:
[clicks heels three times]There's no place like coma. There's no place like coma. There's no place like coma. *snore*

HES

Postby HES » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:56 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
EraObserver wrote:

*ponders some more*

But with power comes responsibility!

Unless you don't want it, and then you can just use the immunity to get out of the responsibility
He/Him/His Image

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:58 am UTC

BLINDPOST, ketchuping:

TheMinim wrote:He was killed and replaced with another guy who looked exactly like him.

If so... I totally predicted that... kind of.

BlitzGirl wrote:Cueball, stop being such a defeatist. You didn't think you could build the Sandcastle any bigger, either, but Megan proved you wrong.

The Sea may eventually scour the shore clean; the world may extend past any wanderer's limit, but that does not mean you are any less for the journey you take, or the castle you make.

^^I want to frame this. #Love.
#HashtagsDon'tWorkInForums. #It'sActuallyANumberSignNotAHashtag. #OrMaybeAMusicalSharp.

mscha wrote:I'm going to guess that there's about 2 (Inside) seconds between canonical frames, on average; and this estimate might be on the high side. Sure, sometimes there's probably a much longer time between them (i.e. when simply walking from left to right, or when they're both off-screen or sleeping), but at other times, there appear to be multiple frames per second. For instance, during action sequences, but especially during the fade – the entire fade probably only takes 10-15 seconds at most.

Whoa whoa whoa... I've always interpreted the fade almost the opposite: that is actually takes place over a substantial period of time, maybe several days--which would make sense why Cuegan later say they traveled along the shore for days, even though we only see them rest once in that time (the fake loop), and that Era altogether is the shortest shown of their entire journey by frame count. This implies that they may have been traveling for quite some time during the fade period. Also, the levels of water rising during the fade compared to how high it rose during the entire construction period suggest that a lot more time is passing during that segment than the slower rate we saw before. Also, I've always assumed that the time between LaPetite's second entrance and her final cameo at the very end of the fade suggest that she scoped things out, then came back with lots of supplies later, that may have taken lots of time to assemble, not a mere 10-15 seconds.

Of course, like I said, I'm blindposting, so maybe this has all been argued ad nauseum for several pages and I'm beating a dead horse unknowingly.

However, I don't think I'm going to get all the way caught up tonight. I seem to be coming down quite ill in my stomach and might need to rest. :(
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

HES

Postby HES » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:00 am UTC

With great power, comes great respONGsibility
Buttermolpyfacebugbeesnakes!
He/Him/His Image

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:10 am UTC

HES wrote:With great power, comes great respONGsibility

Are we repeating? My friends, we have the new semencancerbabiesbaconcoffeeonice, I think. Buttermolpyfacebugbeesnakes seems to heading the same direction - a string of nonsensical, yet meaningful two-syllable words that are shoved together for the sake of humor. Are we repeating?

If so, I'm not entirely against this :P

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:11 am UTC

HES wrote:
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:
EraObserver wrote:

*ponders some more*

But with power comes responsibility!

Unless you don't want it, and then you can just use the immunity to get out of the responsibility

You mean... I can do that?
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:14 am UTC

Spoiler:

They are way more clueless than I'd thought.

Well, goodnight everybody; I'm going to coma.

The next and last chapter of The Last Time Waiter is ready; I'll post it on my next papacy and 500th post.
Selecting new quote…

ergman

Postby ergman » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:18 am UTC

Whoever predicted that they would try to change the subject was right...
And someone should probably check on blitzgirl, she might have immunity, but she clearly isn't immune to THE THIRST FOR POWER!
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

ggh

Postby ggh » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:20 am UTC

Madagascar Sunset moth?

Argh, jjjdavidson! That song is stuck in my head now! (Actually, this is not a complaint.)
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:02 am UTC

OHWOWMANONG

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:06 am UTC

spamjam wrote:OHWOWMANONG

Here it comes. SOUND THE MORAL ALARM, ALL MEN TO MAXIM STATIONS! MOVE MOVE MOVE!

ETA: The moral of this story is actually Randall making fun of us for following it the whole time instead of being Outside.
Last edited by ChronosDragon on Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:07 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:07 am UTC

- Blindpost -

Angelastic wrote:I'm starting to think that rule 34i of the internet is, 'if it exists, there is cake of it.' with the lemma that somebody is saying that said cake is a lie.

No, I couldn't find a cake of Rule101 (nor, any cake that references Conway's game of life, anyway) to celebrate Rule101's both reuniting with the present AND post 100!

So here's a cake to rule them all!:

I also loved his I've Got A Theory, AluisioASG's Last Time Waiter revisions, the poetry... And all the other things I'm not mentioning because it'd take a while, but there wasn't a post I didn't love :mrgreen:

Opiboble wrote:I am off again for another outside adventure, but I shall be back within 5 days : ) I wish you all well in your waiting of Time while I am away yet again. Wait safe.

5 days you say?! It's ALL related, as that's the amount of time I'm behind, which means, 5 days since you posted that have passed! It means you've came back in the present recently, or you are about to come back. Whichever it is, welcome!

Also...

Spoiler:

Wait, there's a #xkcd channel on Irc somewhere?! I remember going once to one about the OTC, but, people never said anything...

Also, how odd is the first time I read that, I thought Bucket was the person and Opiboble was the bot, until further attention, huh?
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

THANKS KARHELL!! :)

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:07 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:I was taught four basic kinds of story conflict: Man vs. Man, Man vs. Society, Man vs. Nature, Man vs. Himself. Nature seems to threaten in the rising sea, and the increasingly difficult terrain (probably dangerous, too, if they're still near the wowterfall cliff). Their latest argument could be an externalization of Man vs. Himself, as we've seen in the past.

But you're right: The conflict is scanty.

I agree, but one of the things that gets to me is the lurking sense of imminent conflict. I keep expecting a much worse encounter with the flora and fauna, meeting the mysterious people who aren't there anymore, something with the constantly rising sea; and, as I posted a few newpix ago, there are the occasional sombre reminders of mortality.

And to return to something I posted many many pages ago (back in the sandcastle era I think), I find the dialogue really unsettling, too, in an Uncanny Valley sort of way. Megan and Cueball oscillate between apparently deep insights and almost total naivety in a way that just doesn't seem quite right.

Finally, here's another song that's been in my mind as they wander past these signs of other human life: Watcher of the Skies by Genesis:

Creatures shaped this planets soil,
Now their reign has come to an end,
Has life again destroyed life,
Do they play elsewhere, do they know
More than their childhood games?
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

Kazza3

Postby Kazza3 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:15 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
spamjam wrote:OHWOWMANONG
Spoiler:

Here it comes. SOUND THE MORAL ALARM, ALL MEN TO MAXIM STATIONS! MOVE MOVE MOVE!

ETA: The moral of this story is actually Randall making fun of us for following it the whole time instead of being Outside.

Indeed, it's certainly one of the deepest comments made so far.

Eutychus wrote:Finally, here's another song that's been in my mind as they wander past these signs of other human life: Watcher of the Skies by Genesis:

Creatures shaped this planets soil,
Now their reign has come to an end,
Has life again destroyed life,
Do they play elsewhere, do they know
More than their childhood games?

dagadada-da-da-da-da-dada-dagada-dagada

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:18 am UTC

Kazza3 wrote:dagadada-da-da-da-da-dada-dagada-dagada
:D :D
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:30 am UTC

ergman wrote:
Spoiler:
Whoever predicted that they would try to change the subject was right...
And someone should probably check on blitzgirl, she might have immunity, but she clearly isn't immune to THE THIRST FOR POWER!

But, don't you see, I've had the power ALL ALONG!
It was I who predicted the subject change! Behold:

BlitzGirl wrote:I wonder if Cuegan is going to change the subject and talk about the beesnake, or continue to stare at each other stubbornly?
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:38 am UTC

- Blindpost -

Spoiler:

Aw, it seems I missed all the fun because I have minimum font size 11?

Oh well, it was either that or having problems reading it, so...

k.bookbinder wrote:
Spoiler:
In the U.S., it is taught that punctuation is always contained within the quotes. So "for instance," the comma is inside the quotes not "outside", as demonstrated here. This is especially true with sentence "endings." For some reason, it is a bad thing to end the sentence "like this". Even if the exclamation is your own, such as saying "I can't believe people are naming their kids 'Little Molpy!'" Which is double-awkward when you try to quote an exclamation and wish to continue following a coma. So if I was to quote something such as my friend, who shouted, "Look there's a Molpy!", and I want to continue the sentence, I have to break the rule and put the coma on the outside of the quote. This, I believe, is the only such exception.

Of course, I could be totally wrong about everything stated above. But throughout college, all of my history papers were written in this manner, and I never got dinged for those kinds of mistakes

At some point I just stopped caring about the way I handled such punctuation. I used to be very active at some other fora. One month, I used to post periods inside parenthesis at the end of sentences, (like this.) Another, I did it on the opposite way (like this). The result?: Nobody noticed or cared.

The result after I stopped worrying about whether such a period would be inside or outside quotes? I've been a happy man ever since, it's even a way of life I recommend to people, be less grammar nazi, and maybe one day, we will be able to understand each other without having some arbitrary rules being followed by everyone (and getting rid of their worry of whether they're doing it right or not)
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

THANKS KARHELL!! :)

Montov

Postby Montov » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:41 am UTC

Most text in a single frame?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”