1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby kenmelken » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:19 pm UTC

BlueCrab wrote:
Spoiler:
cellocgw wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
As to the tragic drama in the last scene, either the big flying molpy wasn't true raptor or the little one wasn't bug-like. Raptors like their meals big. It may have been swallow-like. The wings were consistent with that.

Audubon member chiming in here. IRL raptors such as the smaller falcons are happy to eat medium-to-large moths. There was a famous clip from some night baseball game a few years back (for you non USAians out there, baseball has rather a lot of downtime) in which a camera found a peregrine falcon near the foul pole, happily perched and munching down on a 2-inch moth. Swallows and swifts do catch small bugs on the fly, but at the apparent range in the image, we shouldn't be able to see the beesnakebuglpy that they'd be after.

Off topic - and then there's this:

^^Note: The above linked video is graphic!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

EDIT: Whoa! My dismay at BlueCrab's violent assault on the raptor-molpy has somehow put me at the top of the page. So... I know there has been great discussion about papacies as of late and whether they should continue. Thus, for this NP I will NOT be pope. Instead... I shall be the SUPREME EMPEROR! (Therefore, instead of my 9th papacy, this is my first Reign of Terror).

Imperial Decree: All subjects of the empire must either submit an aaawwwe!-inducing picture/gif of a cute coma-molpy, like BlitzGirl often does, or a short original piece of fiction inspired by either the OTT or the OTC. Bonus points if your submission somehow ties in RAZOR.

BTW, I've edited a number of times to fix little wording and formatting things in my edict that I didn't like.
Last edited by kenmelken on Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:27 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. If I change just this last sentence, will anybody even take notice? Let's find out. Image
kenmelken

Postby Valarya » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:35 pm UTC

All Hail thee Emperor! Image
This should be an easy assignment!

*ahem* I WIN.

But seriously, my favorite one ever is right here. It doesn't get more adorable than that lil molpy.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Valarya

Postby Swein » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:53 pm UTC

Hail Yours Highness, under which shadow I am not worthy to dwell.
I bring you the molpyraptor that snatched the butterbee.
The past is full of traps, charms and mirages, but if you just keep up with with what you are doing it will all be fine.
Swein

Postby jovialbard » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:54 pm UTC

I support the replacement of the PFAN with the SEFAN.

Time passed and RAZOR existed.

My work of fiction may be short, but it does reference RAZOR, so I expect bonus points post-haste!

edited to add the SUPREME to the EFAN
I wrote a book! (Now featuring a title that doesn't suck!)
jovialbard

Postby mscha » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:58 pm UTC

BlueCrab wrote:Drat, naturally I can't find my copy of The Well Tempered Sentence when I need it. Wikipedia has the most comprehensive explanation I'm finding in a quick search, here's a paraphrase:
Spoiler:
Grammatical person in nominative case English pronouns
Standard
I First person singular
We First person plural
You Second person singular / second person plural
He Third person masculine singular masculine
She Third person feminine singular feminine
It Third person neuter singular neuter
They Third person plural / third person gender-neutral singular

Colloquial
Youse Second person plural, dialect Scouse, Australian English, Scottish English, Irish English.
Ye Second person plural, dialectal Hiberno-English
You guys Second person plural, dialectal American English and Canadian English
Y'all Second person plural, dialectal Southern American and African American English
Yinz Second person plural, dialectal Scottish English, Pittsburgh English

Archaic
Thou Second person singular, archaic
Ye Second person plural, archaic

No, my point was that using ‘you’ for both singular and plural in second person leads to ambiguities which can be inconvenient, troublesome, and downright annoying (the worst of the worst, obviously.) A clearly plural second person pronoun is what I meant. (Whew! Thought I'd really messed up, there.) I'm pleased to see that I could also comfortably claim ‘yinz’ if I chose, although I wish it used an apostrophe.

Interestingly, there's also no way to clearly address ‘you’ in the singular form... How can I make clear that I'm only addressing you, BlueCrab, and not y'all / youse / you guys / etc., all readers of this post?
As far as I know, there are no regional or dialectal versions of ‘you’ that are unambiguously singular. (Sure, you can use ‘thou’, but people will think you've lost your mind.) I wonder why that is?
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:
mscha

Postby charlie_grumbles » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

Catch-ONG

Fluffy returns
Spoiler:
FluffyEmperor.png
Pfffttt
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles
charlie_grumbles

Postby AluisioASG » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:08 pm UTC

Hallo people.

Just wanted to chime in and say a possible sequel to TLTW is in development stage, but currently suffering from second-system syndrome.
The current timeline includes the OTC, the Outside and a parallel universe, TLTW's original world and another one mentioned on it.
However, if I continue on this path (unlikely), the OTC itself could be a subplot!

Oh, I wanted to ask: could brain damage explain Megball's clumsiness, cluelessness and odd speech patterns?

Hey, Fluffy! How ya doin'?
Image Cleverest[self-published source?], Geekiest[not verified in body] and Silliest[clarification needed] Molpy of the OTT.
Status (2014W14): watching the Raftcastle sleep Image
AluisioASG

Postby ucim » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:09 pm UTC

Now's the time for Megan to tell Cueball she's going on and he can go home if he likes.

eta:
AluisioASG wrote:Oh, I wanted to ask: could brain damage explain Megball's clumsiness, cluelessness and odd speech patterns?
We'd need a baseline to make a good judgement call here.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832
ucim

Postby azule » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:11 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Interestingly, there's also no way to clearly address ‘you’ in the singular form... How can I make clear that I'm only addressing you, BlueCrab, and not y'all / youse / you guys / etc., all readers of this post?
As far as I know, there are no regional or dialectal versions of ‘you’ that are unambiguously singular. (Sure, you can use ‘thou’, but people will think you've lost your mind.) I wonder why that is?

You, and only, you, mshca, my precious, the one and only, to rule all other mschas.
Image[Ambassador Azule]
The CSA [Coma Sufferers Anonymous] has closed.
HAL9000 wrote:Your post receives the HAL9000 seal of approval. It is truly perfect and incapable of error.
Good luck to all Blitzers.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Beware
azule
Saved

Postby jovialbard » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:20 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
BlueCrab wrote:Drat, naturally I can't find my copy of The Well Tempered Sentence when I need it. Wikipedia has the most comprehensive explanation I'm finding in a quick search, here's a paraphrase:
Spoiler:
Standard
I First person singular
We First person plural

Colloquial
Youse Second person plural, dialect Scouse, Australian English, Scottish English, Irish English.
Y'all Second person plural, dialectal Southern American and African American English

Archaic

No, my point was that using ‘you’ for both singular and plural in second person leads to ambiguities which can be inconvenient, troublesome, and downright annoying (the worst of the worst, obviously.) A clearly plural second person pronoun is what I meant. (Whew! Thought I'd really messed up, there.) I'm pleased to see that I could also comfortably claim ‘yinz’ if I chose, although I wish it used an apostrophe.

Interestingly, there's also no way to clearly address ‘you’ in the singular form... How can I make clear that I'm only addressing you, BlueCrab, and not y'all / youse / you guys / etc., all readers of this post?

http://etymonline.com/?term=you

Interesting... it was the French!
I wrote a book! (Now featuring a title that doesn't suck!)
jovialbard

Postby taixzo » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:26 pm UTC

No! I will not submit to an Emperor, tyranically disbanding the Papacy! Vive la Revolution!

*attacks Emperor's armies with S&Ms from trebuchets*
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Best wishes to macraw83, balthasar_s, mrob27, Bad Hair Man, Maugrim and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!
taixzo

Postby BlueCrab » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:28 pm UTC

AnotherKevin wrote:
Exodies wrote:Er, shirly that should be "American English really needs a second-person singular"?

Certes thou knowest that English hath an entirely serviceable second person singular. (It might have escaped thee - because it hath lain asleep for nigh on four hundred years.)

And - callest thou me not, "Shirley!"
Thou is singular, yes, but I did indeed mean plural (see my post on... 863? 864?) Ye is second person plural in that vernacular, and while I have been known to use it from time to time, most of the time I trouble myself not.

Oh look, partial recursiveness:
mscha wrote:Interestingly, there's also no way to clearly address ‘you’ in the singular form... How can I make clear that I'm only addressing you, BlueCrab, and not y'all / youse / you guys / etc., all readers of this post?
English. That's all the answer I've got for you, aside from ‘words are hard.’ When I text, for example, my married daughter, if I want to know what the couple is doing I use ‘youse’. If I'm specifically asking about my daughter, I use ‘you,’ but also indicate that I'm referring solely to her, because of the built-in ambiguity.

OTT to AnotherKevin, about treelife
Spoiler:
AnotherKevin wrote:I suppose this obviously semiarid slope could be a "pygmy forest" ecosystem like what you find near San Luis Obispo, with a warm climate, but saline soil lacking micronutrients. Those often have stunted warm-climate trees, like Arbutus and live-oak. That's not as familiar to me: in my part of the world, arid, acid, or saline conditions generally give rise to a 'fire climax' community dominated by pitch pine and scrub oak, with an understory of blueberry and ferns.
[wistful]You're making me homesick, AnotherKevin :cry: We went on frequent backpacking trips in mountains 8-10 hours away when I was growing up, but the atmosphere that says home to me is the scent of the blueberries, ferns, and hemlock around a fresh-water lake, with centuries of hemlock detritus making the ground bouncy underfoot and sharp-edged granite tumbled everywhere. The granite formed smallish cliffs for climbing, ravines for pelting through helter-skelter, and unexpected drop-offs under the water for accidental plunges. It's effectively a miracle that neither my sister nor I (nor the dog, come to think of it) ever so much as badly twisted an ankle, landed in a yellow-jacket nest, or more than partially drowned. We did frequently gulp water on those surprise-plunges, though, and I still have scars on the tops of my toes from the sudden underwater ledges which were the counterpart to those. :D
Where in general is it that you refer to, with the blueberry-and-fern understory? I'm remembering the glaciated semi-coastal hills and fresh-water lakes of Connecticut and Rhode Island.
Can't turn off the “wistful" manually, it'll turn itself off eventually...

So many edits, so much Time...
Last edited by BlueCrab on Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:32 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Things seem a little ridiculous around here? Don't panic, Try the Wiki!

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh
BlueCrab

Postby charlie_grumbles » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:31 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:
mscha wrote:
Spoiler:
Standard
I First person singular
We First person plural

Colloquial

Archaic

http://etymonline.com/?term=you

Related: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/29/magazine/29language-t.html?pagewanted=all
-- Charlie Grumbles
charlie_grumbles

Postby HAL9000 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:42 pm UTC

Blindpost from NP775 to say holy bajeezsus Randall I've got a long ways to go. The fact that this is really the only time I'll have internet for the next three weeks won't help either.
I'll catch up to you guys eventually, I promise! Even if Time ends while I'm away (I have a lurking dread that I'll return from Germany to find an dying thread), I'll be back!
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.
HAL9000
Not Red

Postby taixzo » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:43 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:Blindpost from NP775 to say holy bajeezsus Randall I've got a long ways to go. The fact that this is really the only time I'll have internet for the next three weeks won't help either.
I'll catch up to you guys eventually, I promise! Even if Time ends while I'm away (I have a lurking dread that I'll return from Germany to find an dying thread), I'll be back!

Hooray! HAL9000 is (momentarily) back!
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Best wishes to macraw83, balthasar_s, mrob27, Bad Hair Man, Maugrim and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!
taixzo

Postby kenmelken » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:48 pm UTC

@Valarya: Victory indeed! I appoint you the Molpy Coma Queen of 865

@Swein: You pic isn't quite per orders, but it is remarkably relevant, so you get thumbs up from the emperor.

@jovialbard: I award thee bonus points for thy RAZOR-including story.

@taixzo & charlie_grumbles: You think your resistance will serve you well, but it is really all just part of my plan. Mwahahahaha.
To you resistors, and to all subjects of the empire, I send this message:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAf0QnLFS7Q

@HAL9000: Welcome back, if even briefly. You can stay the night at the imperial palace if you'd like.
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. If I change just this last sentence, will anybody even take notice? Let's find out. Image
kenmelken

Postby charlie_grumbles » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:54 pm UTC

kenmelken wrote:@taixzo & charlie_grumbles: You think your resistance will serve you well, but it is really all just part of my plan. Mwahahahaha.

Fluffy responds
Spoiler:
FluffyYouTube.png
Sorry. Too deaf to deal with it. Hope it was funny.

Sorry
-- Charlie Grumbles
charlie_grumbles

Postby kenmelken » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:57 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
kenmelken wrote:@taixzo & charlie_grumbles: You think your resistance will serve you well, but it is really all just part of my plan. Mwahahahaha.

Fluffy responds
Spoiler:
FluffyYouTube.png

Sorry

It actually has captions already on it!
kenmelken

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:59 pm UTC

Earthling on Mars wrote:You're happy about the butterflymolpy's demise?!

Absolutely. For the bleeding hearts of newpages 863-4:

For all that you mourn the loss of the flutterbee as a symbol of beauty in the world, would you have mourned it so fiercely had it not met such an untimely end? I rejoice in the strength of the raptor's wings, its steep and plunging dive, its anticipation and judgement and technique. I celebrate it: wind-rider, air-splitter, acrobat on the breeze. It is a glorious engine of death, bringing the life of the flutterbee so precisely and poignantly to a close. Too often beauty lingers past its time, left behind on a newpix beyond our ken, to spiral into feather-soft memory that slips from our minds as gently as the Fading. No! Not here! Not now! The flutterbee is snatched from life in the instant of its appreciation, glorious, caught forever in a moment most beautiful, soaring gracefully into the heavens on glistening wings. It is our Icarus, breaking the chains of the earthly world in a brief, dooméd ascent. When he gazed into the blazing heart of the sun, what did he see? What if not the glory of a perfect unbecoming, a climactic close, an eternal legend, a symbol of life and loveliness and hope and desire caught forever in that instant of infinity before transcending the chrysalis of its physical shell and joyfully stretching newborn wings under a sky clearer and fresher than any mortal soul will ever know.

You weep at the loss of a pretty bug.
I weep for you, who cannot see how glorious it truly was.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image
Welcome back to the OTT, Maugrim!
BlitzGirl

Location: In the 1900s. (Need to ketchup 1522-32, 1633-50, 1879-86.)

Postby charlie_grumbles » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:00 pm UTC

more throw-ONG
-- Charlie Grumbles
charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:02 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:

Spoiler:
For all that you mourn the loss of the flutterbee as a symbol of beauty in the world, would you have mourned it so fiercely had it not met such an untimely end? I rejoice in the strength of the raptor's wings, its steep and plunging dive, its anticipation and judgement and technique. I celebrate it: wind-rider, air-splitter, acrobat on the breeze. It is a glorious engine of death, bringing the life of the flutterbee so precisely and poignantly to a close. Too often beauty lingers past its time, left behind on a newpix beyond our ken, to spiral into feather-soft memory that slips from our minds as gently as the Fading. No! Not here! Not now! The flutterbee is snatched from life in the instant of its appreciation, glorious, caught forever in a moment most beautiful, soaring gracefully into the heavens on glistening wings. It is our Icarus, breaking the chains of the earthly world in a brief, dooméd ascent. When he gazed into the blazing heart of the sun, what did he see? What if not the glory of a perfect unbecoming, a climactic close, an eternal legend, a symbol of life and loveliness and hope and desire caught forever in that instant of infinity before transcending the chrysalis of its physical shell and joyfully stretching newborn wings under a sky clearer and fresher than any mortal soul will ever know.

Hmmm. So does this mean you vote for yourself in the competition, Madame Judge?
-- Charlie Grumbles
charlie_grumbles

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:06 pm UTC

I'm not on the right newpage to be considered for the competition. :P
At the moment my vote goes to ucim, for this haiku:

ucim wrote:Beauty reaches high,
Cavorts on wings of color.
One chomp. All is gone.

as it matches my feelings on the subject.

Edit(s): I have immunity from imperial decrees *gestures to list of titles* but I shall deign to participate this once:
Spoiler:
At first I was all:

But now I'm like:
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:23 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image
BlitzGirl

Postby Angelastic » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:07 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:http://etymonline.com/?term=you

that page wrote:Through 13c. English also retained a dual pronoun ink "you two; your two selves; each other."

Oh, neat! I never knew English had a dual! Māori has duals too, and I like them. I also like the way it has a way to distinguish between 'we (including you)' and 'we (not including you)' which could save some awkward misunderstandings when talking to someone about the party they're going to without you. Oh, look, a tangent.

Here is a sleepy fairy tern molpyraptorcomababy:

Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.
Angelastic

Postby rmcurtis » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:10 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:more throw-ONG

Heh, it looks like he's throwing a giant lima bean at her.
rmcurtis

Postby ZoomanSP » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:18 pm UTC

kenmelken wrote:Imperial Decree: All subjects of the empire must either submit an aaawwwe!-inducing picture/gif of a cute coma-molpy, like BlitzGirl often does, or a short original piece of fiction inspired by either the OTT or the OTC. Bonus points if your submission somehow ties in RAZOR.

kenmelken wrote:@Valarya: Victory indeed! I appoint you the Molpy Coma Queen of 865

Has this NP already ended? :shock: I wanted to contribute a few things...

Valarya wrote:I WIN.

You deserve to win indeed for this collective cuteness, but regarding your video
But seriously, my favorite one ever is right here. It doesn't get more adorable than that lil molpy.
I challenge you with this!

kenmelken wrote:SO... here is my all-new centennial post to commemorate my 300th, and to share some pizza with all of you. :)
Spoiler:

Happy belated congratulations on your 300th post, oh SEFANP. Besides something aaawwwe!-inducing, you asked for a picture (gif), and for each submission to somehow tie in RAZOR, hence I'll add this to my post:
Spoiler:

Thereby having fulfilled my duties, here are two more responses:
yappobiscuits wrote:My epic tribute to the fallen beesnake…

Buzz Along
A filk of Storm Along by Wilderun (itself loosely based on a traditional sea shanty)
Spoiler:
[Folky verses]
Oh Beesnake's gone, the good ol' bug
To my aye now, buzz along!
Oh Beesnake's gone, the good ol' bug
Aye aye beesnake, buzz along!
They dug his grave with a semencancer spade
A shroud of finest coffeebabies was made

[Epic metal verse!]
He's buzzed off now to a better place
To my aye, BUZZ ALONG!
No danger now from raptors' chase
Aye aye, buzz along!

[Back to folky verse]
Of molpies brave he was the best
But now he's gone and he's at rest

[Metal again!]
Old Beesnake's heard the angel's call
To my aye, BUZZ ALONG!
So sing his dirge now one and all…

I recall the day the rising sea
Engulfed all our neat trees
Fate was stripped from our hands

Waves the size of mountainsides
Bludgeoned us one by one,
But Beesnake saved so many
Under the veil of the blackened sun

[Gentle ballad section]
As the winds came to a calm
The bright sun awoke in the dawn
We stood in silence endlessly
And gazed out over the big sea

As we turned our heads
And looked back t'wards the shore
Our hearts sunk ever low
For our molpy was no more

Still his body lay
At the breaking of the day
We lowered him with a tiny chain
Our eyes dim with more than rain

[And back to the metal!]
He lies in an earthen bed
Our hearts are sore, our eyes are red

[And all together now for the epic final chorus!]
Buzz along, we must now venture on
Into the beauty of the great big sea
Our will must not become undone
Journey ONGwards, far as our eyes can see

Oh, do not mourn for long
Let our words ring on in his memory
The vast horizon draws us near
Journey ONGwards...

Awesomeful7,4!

charlie_grumbles wrote:Catch-ONG
Spoiler:

I think now it is obvious that GLR created the OTC to tell us that his wife is having a baby.

Oh, and when I load the current NP (NP 865), Sophos gives me a threat warning for "s8.postimg.org/lpwo01oad/sig.png". I don't know to which post it refers; maybe all posters on this page want to check that.

4: neat
7: wow
Wait on.
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."
ZoomanSP

Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby kenmelken » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:23 pm UTC

@ZoomanSP
The page has not yet ended, but I wished to comment at that point to both acknowledge contributions made up to that point, and to put my foot down against the opposition.

For your loyalty, your eagerness, your ADORABLE doormouse, and your acknowledgement of my 300th post, I title you RazorLord, Earl of Eagerness of 865

@angelastic: Also a fine contribution. You shall be favored in the empire. :)
kenmelken

Postby Angelastic » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:24 pm UTC

I also liked that haiku a lot, but I feel like I should choose differently from BlitzGirl, so I will vote for taixzo's double dactyl, because pants often win me over.

I would also like to give an honorable mention to ucim's last double dactyl, because I had to read it three times before realising that the last two syllables were not missing after all.

I would also like to give an honorary cake to everyone's, because they were all great, and a sign that beebuttermolpysnake flies on in the comics of our minds and in the stomach and mitochondria of the raptor.

Spoiler:
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.
Angelastic

Postby Davidy » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:26 pm UTC

BlueCrab wrote:...

As a native Pittsburger and resident for all but 4 of my 73 years, I can with authority tell you that, regardless of what many sources state, "Yinz" is not correct Pittsburgh dialect for the plural "You". "Yinz" is an affectation adopted by recent transplants in an effort to sound cool. The closest a non-native speaker might come is "Younz"; this is not U-nz, but rather with the "ou" sounded as it is in the word "could". Even this is not strictly correct as there is still the faintest hint of an "i" sound after the "ou". Every day, Pittsburgers use " 'n'at " a construct whose meaning, pronounciation (not "nat") and proper useage is lost on the outside world. Come visit sometime; I'll show you the incline and my collection of "gumbans".
"It's only funny until someone loses an eye, then it's still funny but they can only see it in 2-D."
Davidy

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:28 pm UTC

Cake? Good - now I can digest some butterfly bits just like the raptor! :D

ZoomanSP wrote:Oh, and when I load the current NP (NP 865), Sophos gives me a threat warning for "s8.postimg.org/lpwo01oad/sig.png". I don't know to which post it refers; maybe all posters on this page want to check that.

That's the image in Hal's sig. But I don't think it's eaten anyone yet.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image
BlitzGirl

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:32 pm UTC

rmcurtis wrote:
Spoiler:

Would not that be a fava bean, then?
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.
k.bookbinder

Postby ucim » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:33 pm UTC

rmcurtis wrote:
Spoiler:
It's the steam bottle. It's full.

I'm glad to see my poetic muse is appreciated, and I humbly accept membership into the Order of the Sillies which charlie_grumbles bestowed upon me a few NewPages ago. I am in great company!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832
ucim

Postby ZoomanSP » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:36 pm UTC

kenmelken wrote:@ZoomanSP
The page has not yet ended, but I wished to comment at that point to both acknowledge contributions made up to that point, and to put my foot down against the opposition.

For your loyalty, your eagerness, your ADORABLE doormouse, and your acknowledgement of my 300th post, I title you RazorLord, Earl of Eagerness of 865

@angelastic: Also a fine contribution. You shall be favored in the empire. :)

Thank you, oh SEFANP! I shall remain your loyal servant.

*takes a couple of S&M's for the Emperor from taixzo's trebuchets*
*nomnomnom*
*looks for more*
Wait on.
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
ZoomanSP

Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby HES » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:37 pm UTC

kenmelken wrote:Imperial Decree: All subjects of the empire must either submit an aaawwwe!-inducing picture/gif of a cute coma-molpy

Do self portraits get bonus points?
Image - Image - Image
H@ chirpingmustard
HES

Postby BytEfLUSh » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:41 pm UTC

Kinda OT, but did anyone notice that MobTeeseboose changes its avatar every hournewpix or so?

-- Professor Dan, The Man from Earth (paraphrased)
BytEfLUSh

Postby poxic » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:42 pm UTC

kenmelken wrote:Imperial Decree: All subjects of the empire must either submit an aaawwwe!-inducing picture/gif of a cute coma-molpy

Ooh, I got one!
Attachments
coma_molpy.jpg
coma_molpy.jpg (61.27 KiB) Viewed 1800 times
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

You cannot surgically graft enough middle fingers to my body to express how fed up i am with this.
- Tomlidich the Nth
poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby ZoomanSP » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:42 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
ZoomanSP wrote:Oh, and when I load the current NP (NP 865), Sophos gives me a threat warning for "s8.postimg.org/lpwo01oad/sig.png". I don't know to which post it refers; maybe all posters on this page want to check that.

That's the image in Hal's sig. But I don't think it's eaten anyone yet.

Thank you! I just see the word "Image" in HAL's sig, so I didn't know where it came from.

ucim wrote:I'm glad to see my poetic muse is appreciated, and I humbly accept membership into the Order of the Sillies which charlie_grumbles bestowed upon me a few NewPages ago. I am in great company!

Jose

Welcome to the Order! We have cookies:
Spoiler:
Wait on.
ZoomanSP

Postby kenmelken » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:44 pm UTC

@HES: Yes. Bonus points for you.

@BytEfLUSh: Yup. It cycles through the same ones, at least as far as I can tell.

@poxic: adorable!
kenmelken

Postby AluisioASG » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:48 pm UTC

kenmelken wrote:Imperial Papal Decree: All subjects of the empire must either submit an aaawwwe!-inducing picture/gif of a cute coma-molpy, like BlitzGirl often does, or a short original piece of fiction inspired by either the OTT or the OTC. Bonus points if your submission somehow ties in RAZOR.

(All by herself, I swear!)
Last edited by AluisioASG on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:50 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Image Cleverest[self-published source?], Geekiest[not verified in body] and Silliest[clarification needed] Molpy of the OTT.
Status (2014W14): watching the Raftcastle sleep Image
AluisioASG

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:49 pm UTC

In keeping with the papal decree... comasnuggleottermolpies
mscha wrote:Happy 250th, yappobiscuits!

Oh thanks! I never noticed!
kenmelken wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:Do I get a prize?

Yes indeed you do! Now... let me add you to the prize list (those crossed off are those I've already awarded)

YAAYY
BlitzGirl wrote:

Spoiler:

*sniff* *wipes tear* *applauds*
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming soon. Wait for it.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT
yappobiscuits

Postby ergman » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:00 pm UTC

Obeying the empire:
Edit: damn! I just barely got this in in time! Goat FTW
edit 2: fixed up some grammar stuffs. And being goat sucks. But hello Blitzers!
Inspiration
Warning, not that short!
It's a serene evening in a suburban neighborhood, the kind scattered across America in large amorphous clumps. The cookie cutter houses devided by well trimmed hedges evoke a nearly Pleasantville-esque sense of stagnation. But the houses are decorated and personalized with gnomes, wind chimes and the likes, and its clearly visible in all the brilliant colors of a Kodachrome camera. Atop a hill, at the end of a dead end street, is a playground, seemingly enshrined between four oak trees. Their leaves cast dynamic shadows down into the sand, due to their ruffling in the gentle breeze. The playground is empty save a little girl in a sand box.
Spoiler:
A man passing by decides to pause his evening jog, concerned for the lonely girl's safety.
"Where are your parents?" enquires the man, "It is getting late.."
The little girl looks up at him with such big, curious, green eyes that he can't help but smile.
"My papa said that he would be back in a... That he would come soon," the girl replies, with a noticeable French accent. She then returns her attention to shoveling sand into lumps with her hands.
The girl can't be any older than 7, the man deduces, her shoulder length brown hair held loosely by a pink bow.
An ordinary man would walk away and mind his own business, but the man in this story is no ordinary man. This is a man who will ask strangers to fly kites with him if he is feels it is right to do so. He is a methodically whimsical man and so decides to remain. He sits down on a bench a few feet away facing the sandbox, and says, "I think I should watch you until your parents return," attempting to sound as little like a pedophile as possible.
The girl nods her head and returns to her sandcastle. It is surprisingly intricate, with many spires of varying heights and widths. It is surprising the little girl can do so much with just her hands. Still it does take her a long time to accomplish anything, her childly hands struggling to achieve sufficient dexterity. But as underdeveloped as her motor skills are, she has the patience of a mountain. And with her father nowhere in sight, the man is forced to wait for the slow and steady progress. A mixture of scientific rigor and an odd shyness prevent the man from helping her.

As time progresses, so does the setting of the sun. The child is between the man and it now, silhouetting her and her fortress. Conversation between them is sparse. The brief dialogues consist of simple questions and answers between them, the man speaking the way most people speak to children, and the girl responses were equally as minimalist. But she conveyed relatively complex ideas using her limited vocabulary, revealing unsuspected intelligence.
"Where did you get those flags?"
"I took them from the Lego, and put them hard into the castle, so they will stay. They are not real, they do not move back and forth like flags."
She makes a waving motion to indicate what kind of movement she means.

Time plods on, and though the girls diligence does not fade, she begins to yawn and stretch. The noise starts the man from his distractions and he looks over at the dark castle and its sleepy creator. It is officially nighttime, and the girls father still hasn't arrived. The man decides to take matters into his own hands.
"Little girl, it is very late now. Come with me, we are going to go find your father."
The girl looks up from her latest parapet and shows me her sadly gleaming eyes. Her extreme concentration on the castle might have been to distract her from her apparent lack of parents.
She clearly does not want to leave behind her work.
"I'm sorry, but it is very late now, and it isn't safe to be out like this. The castle will be there tomorrow, don't worry." The girl does not seem reassured, but is too tired to argue further. She follows the man out of the sandbox, between the dark oaks, and down the street. The trees and bushes are lined with the critters of early summer, squirrels, robins and gnats all melded into an all encompassing dark hue. They eventually find the girl's father, standing dazed in front of a convenience store. It is not obvious what caused him to be so long apart from his daughter. He shouts something in a foreign language in the man's direction. The man hadn't dared attempt to speak French since high school, but thankfully the girl responds and assuages her father's anger. He turns to the man and says, "thank you for taking care of my daughter. Good night." And with that, the couple is off towards their car. The last the man hears is the father saying something about a lost beret.

The following evening, the man returns to the playground, hoping to again see the little French girl, or at least see her castle. But the Man finds the sandcastle in ruin, towers crumbling and flags strewn about. Time had swept down on the castle like a tidal wave, washing away the poor girl's hard work.
Later that night, as the man lays in his bed, connections begin to form in his head. Leaps of consciousness are made and epiphanies are experienced. The man realizes in his sleep the surreal beauty of what he had witnessed. And, being no ordinary man, he has the ability to share this realization with hundreds of people around the world. The following morning, the man begins his task.
Last edited by ergman on Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:38 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
Thanks, y'all!
Scared/konfused newcomer? Check out The intro!
ergman

PreviousNext

Return to Individual XKCD Comic Threads