1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
charlie_grumbles
Posts: 1004
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:07 pm UTC
Location: Self Imposed Exile

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby charlie_grumbles » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:34 am UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
Megan will eat weird berries from a strange tree, yet does not consider to see if something tasty may have been left behind in a picnic basket? Which also makes me wonder, who would leave a picnic basket like that? Unless, they left in a hurry.

I am beginning to think that the cairn was recognizable to them. Perhaps they are familiar with it as a boundary marker of some sort, such as the people in the hills or the tent people might use to mark the edge of their territory/settlement. It could be that the "Oh!" uttered by Megan was one of surprise, not at finding a cairn, per say, but at realizing there is a settlement ahead. That may also explain why then seem to have no interest in the fence or picnic basket.


Again, what we find interesting, they don't. Very interesting. And what happened to the mountain they were climbing. This ain't it, methinks. Waiting for it, in a puzzled sort of way now.

Ah pope again. I hereby declare that no one shall post on this page but charlie_grumbles.

Silly enough.

No No No, belay that order. I hereby declare peace on earth good will to all sentient life forms, fleshy and digital, carbon based or silicon based.

Oh, and post away to your heart's content (be it carbonish or silicon)
Last edited by charlie_grumbles on Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:38 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

User avatar
xpatiate
Posts: 160
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:02 am UTC
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby xpatiate » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:35 am UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:There was a lot of talking about where the OTC takes place in space (Madagascar, Africa, Randallverse), but not so much about where its takes place in time (besides the possibility of a postapocalyptic scenario). Now I look at this fence here, which looks to me like a barbed wire fence. If that is correct, I think it's the most advanced technology we've seen yet (we don't know for sure what the steambottleugh is).


I speculated a bit back here about whether the advanced-ness or otherwise of technology could narrow down the setting in time, but all I really ended up with was "sometime since the invention of castles (and trebuchets)", which didn't help much. I agree that a barbed-wire fence would definitely change things but I'm not convinced that is one - it does look like it has barbs, but the cross pieces seem like timber rails, not strands of wire.

k.bookbinder wrote:It could be that the "Oh!" uttered by Megan was one of surprise, not at finding a cairn, per say, but at realizing there is a settlement ahead. That may also explain why then seem to have no interest in the fence or picnic basket.


Yes I agree - I think the "Oh!" relates to something we haven't seen yet.

User avatar
Angelastic
Posts: 700
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:36 am UTC
Location: .at (let's see what's through here!)
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Angelastic » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:48 am UTC

I predict moolpies! (a.k.a. cowmolpies, and accompanying cowpies)

I think the fence looks like it's made of wood, and I think that using an epsilon to denote 'weird' is weird, because mathematically it is more suited to mean 'small'. And since the river is small but it was hypothesised that the other river was a delta, it could be that there's a delta for every epsilon.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

User avatar
charlie_grumbles
Posts: 1004
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:07 pm UTC
Location: Self Imposed Exile

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby charlie_grumbles » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:00 pm UTC

fenc-ONG
Image
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

User avatar
CasCat
Posts: 277
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 1:42 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby CasCat » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:01 pm UTC

I'm wondering if the "Oh!" wasn't for the cairn, but for the fence (and whatever might be behind the fence). Hard to tell, but Megan waited to say it until she was at a high point with a good view (she could have seen the cairn before that) and she might well be pointing off-frame.

<edit to add> Ninja'd by xpatiate AND k'bookbinder. <sigh>

<edit again because I can't spell xpatiate>

Oh, and the slight zig-zagginess of the fence makes me think it's a split-rail fence.
Last edited by CasCat on Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:06 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

User avatar
BlitzGirl
Posts: 9099
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:05 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:<snip> Is the OTT suddenly more important than the OTC?

No, it's just acting the same way it has for hundreds of newpix, serving its secondary function* as a distraction zone / babysitting center for those of usε Waiting for it.

We sing songs and make pretty pictures to share, and occasionally play silly games until the next newpix rolls around. Image
And yes, that can get annoying. But if we learn one thing on our journey to Timewaiterdom, it is the art of patience.



* Primary function: discussion forum for the OTC.
ε weird
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

User avatar
k.bookbinder
Posts: 975
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:17 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby k.bookbinder » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:11 pm UTC

CasCat wrote:I'm wondering if the "Oh!" wasn't for the cairn, but for the fence (and whatever might be behind the fence). Hard to tell, but Megan waited to say it until she was at a high point with a good view (she could have seen the cairn before that) and she might well be pointing off-frame.

<edit to add> Ninja'd by xpatiate AND k'bookbinder. <sigh>

<edit again because I can't spell xpatiate>

Oh, and the slight zig-zagginess of the fence makes me think it's a split-rail fence.


The fence reminds me of split rail, but with chicken wire, or wire mesh, on one side. Like this:
Spoiler:
Image


ETA:
BlitzGirl wrote:....But if we learn one thing on our journey to Timewaiterdom, it is the art of patience distracting ourselves as long as possible so we don't get impatient.


FTFY :D

But I agree. The real issue at hand is that we've entered a period of Time in which all things seen are very much like other things seen before. We molpy hunt and speculate, but there is was less information to use for new speculations. Until now. In a few newpix, we've been given quite a lot of information: the cairn, the thing ignored next to the cairn (does anyone else think that looked much like a shipping pallet?), the picnic basket, the well-built fence. Hopefully the fence will continue for a few more newpix.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

User avatar
Neil_Boekend
Posts: 3220
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:35 am UTC
Location: Yes.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:44 pm UTC

SBN wrote:And now, because I think we need a refresher:
The Complete Rules for Life
1. Be considerate to those around you, and those who will come after you.
2. Don't be stupid.

About 1: When being followed by people who want to do you harm it does not do well to be considerate to those who come after you. In fact, it is customary to be as inconsiderate to them as possible (caltrops, mines, oil, smoke)
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

User avatar
jjjdavidson
Posts: 652
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:40 pm UTC
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby jjjdavidson » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:47 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:The fence reminds me of split rail, but with chicken wire, or wire mesh, on one side. Like this:
Spoiler:
Image


Well-spotted! Someone earlier suggested barbed wire, but I would judge that the rails are far too thick for that. But a heavy mesh fence, zoomed out to invisibility, might well leave just such small ticks visible along the length of the rails.

Of course, the possibility also exists that the fence rails are strung with tiny Christmas lights, but I must concede the likelihood of such to be exceedingly remote.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

User avatar
Prosthetic_Lips
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:59 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Prosthetic_Lips » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:50 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:The fence reminds me of split rail, but with chicken wire, or wire mesh, on one side. Like this:
Spoiler:
Image


Well-spotted! Someone earlier suggested barbed wire, but I would judge that the rails are far too thick for that. But a heavy mesh fence, zoomed out to invisibility, might well leave just such small ticks visible along the length of the rails.

Of course, the possibility also exists that the fence rails are strung with tiny Christmas lights, but I must concede the likelihood of such to be exceedingly remote.


Oooh, I like the Christmas lights theory. I hereby second that. Any thirds?

User avatar
akacat
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:39 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby akacat » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:53 pm UTC

I thought that the picnic basket might actually be a molpy cage. I guess we'll never know. Darn it Cuegan, you two need to be a bit more curious about the things you see.

jjjdavidson wrote:
Spoiler:
Image

That comic has not aged well, yet it is still funny.

User avatar
charlie_grumbles
Posts: 1004
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:07 pm UTC
Location: Self Imposed Exile

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby charlie_grumbles » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:00 pm UTC

About to get excite-ONG ?
Image

Yes, we shall
wait for it
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

User avatar
ZoomanSP
Posts: 1953
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 11:23 am UTC
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ZoomanSP » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:00 pm UTC

xpatiate wrote:
ZoomanSP wrote:There was a lot of talking about where the OTC takes place in space (Madagascar, Africa, Randallverse), but not so much about where its takes place in time (besides the possibility of a postapocalyptic scenario). Now I look at this fence here, which looks to me like a barbed wire fence. If that is correct, I think it's the most advanced technology we've seen yet (we don't know for sure what the steambottleugh is).

I speculated a bit back here about whether the advanced-ness or otherwise of technology could narrow down the setting in time, but all I really ended up with was "sometime since the invention of castles (and trebuchets)", which didn't help much. I agree that a barbed-wire fence would definitely change things but I'm not convinced that is one - it does look like it has barbs, but the cross pieces seem like timber rails, not strands of wire.
jjjdavidson wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:The fence reminds me of split rail, but with chicken wire, or wire mesh, on one side. Like this:
Spoiler:
Image

Well-spotted! Someone earlier suggested barbed wire, but I would judge that the rails are far too thick for that. But a heavy mesh fence, zoomed out to invisibility, might well leave just such small ticks visible along the length of the rails.

I agree that, especially the upper horizontal structure, looks like it's thicker than wire. But I still think that I see spikes/thorns/...11-4 (not 7) Is there anything like spiky wooden rails?
jjjdavidson wrote:Of course, the possibility also exists that the fence rails are strung with tiny Christmas lights, but I must concede the likelihood of such to be exceedingly remote.

And since Christmas lights10 are very unlikely, I hereby postulate in accordance with OTT traditions that Christmas lights10 they shall be, until we learn more about them.

Angelastic wrote:I think the fence looks like it's made of wood, and I think that using an epsilon to denote 'weird' is weird, because mathematically it is more suited to mean 'small'. And since the river is small but it was hypothesised that the other river was a delta, it could be that there's a delta for every epsilon.

Which reminds me of this:
What is the shortest math joke?
Spoiler:
ε < 0

4: neat
7: wow
10: tiny
11: a little prickly, really neat
Wait on.

Image
Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

User avatar
foilman
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:48 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby foilman » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:01 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:About to get excite-ONG ?

No, this fence can run for a frame or two yet I reckon.

User avatar
SBN
Saved
Posts: 2232
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:15 pm UTC
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby SBN » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:17 pm UTC

akacat wrote:I thought that the picnic basket might actually be a molpy cage. I guess we'll never know. Darn it Cuegan, you two need to be a bit more curious about the things you see.

I was thinking trap, but cage works too. And, yes, please, more curiosity. Or at least discussion.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

User avatar
Neil_Boekend
Posts: 3220
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:35 am UTC
Location: Yes.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:22 pm UTC

Prosthetic_Lips wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:The fence reminds me of split rail, but with chicken wire, or wire mesh, on one side. Like this:
Spoiler:
Image


Well-spotted! Someone earlier suggested barbed wire, but I would judge that the rails are far too thick for that. But a heavy mesh fence, zoomed out to invisibility, might well leave just such small ticks visible along the length of the rails.

Of course, the possibility also exists that the fence rails are strung with tiny Christmas lights, but I must concede the likelihood of such to be exceedingly remote.


Oooh, I like the Christmas lights theory. I hereby second that. Any thirds?

Yeps, a thirds here. Definitely christmas lights!
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

User avatar
charlie_grumbles
Posts: 1004
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:07 pm UTC
Location: Self Imposed Exile

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby charlie_grumbles » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:23 pm UTC

foilman wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:About to get excite-ONG ?

No, this fence can run for a frame or two yet I reckon.

Yes, certainly. I'd say at least 3 with a bit of the molpy nose (or more) revealed at the end of it.

BTW, I was just foreshadowing in the ong-text.

I really think that some of the "molpy action" we've seen was not intentional by Master Randall, but artifacts of the process of creation (like dark matter :D). But the big-ol' "not penis" we saw in the last frame seems clearly intentional. Could it be LaPetite has nearly caught up with them? Could it be the bovine-molpy predicted already? Could it be an evil clown? Time will tell. Time will tell.

Or not.

Maybe GLR was getting bored with discussions in the OTT and decided to shake it up.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

User avatar
taixzo
Posts: 1617
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:54 am UTC
Location: The Present

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby taixzo » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:29 pm UTC

I go to coma for just a few newpix and there's a picnic basket‽

Perhaps LaPetite has already climbed the mountain with some friends and are picking blueberries?
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

User avatar
cellocgw
Posts: 2054
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:40 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby cellocgw » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:55 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:at no one shall post on this page but charlie_grumbles.

Silly enough.

No No No, belay that order. I hereby declare peace on earth good will to all sentient life forms, fleshy and digital, carbon based or silicon based.

Oh, and post away to your heart's content (be it carbonish or silicon)


Hey, I'm copper-based, you insensitive clod! (ya know, green blood, pointy ears,...)
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

User avatar
mscha
Posts: 6904
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 pm UTC
Location: NL
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:56 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Oh and newothercomic

Hmm, nobody had mentioned yet how it's All Related, and Time is the GLR's attempt to slow down the Pace of Modern Life...
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Image
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:
Image
Image

User avatar
BlitzGirl
Posts: 9099
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:58 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:I really think that some of the "molpy action" we've seen was not intentional by Master Randall, but artifacts of the process of creation (like dark matter :D).


Molpy is sad because you equate him to mustard:
Image
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

User avatar
charlie_grumbles
Posts: 1004
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:07 pm UTC
Location: Self Imposed Exile

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby charlie_grumbles » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:00 pm UTC

leav-ONG
Image
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

User avatar
charlie_grumbles
Posts: 1004
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:07 pm UTC
Location: Self Imposed Exile

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby charlie_grumbles » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:01 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:Hey, I'm copper-based, you insensitive clod! (ya know, green blood, pointy ears,...)

In which case you are likely far too logical for this place anyway. Sorry.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

User avatar
ucim
Posts: 6859
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:23 pm UTC
Location: The One True Thread

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ucim » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:Thank you for your suggestion re: what I could put in my lighthouse for blitzers re: the image on p. 41. I think I'll just keep it simple like it is though. No hard feelings?
Sounds good to me.
buffygirl wrote:except for 8 exceptions:
weird height and foreign leisure,
neither seize nor forfeit either.
That part I never learned. The rest is exactly the way I recall.

lmjb1964 wrote:This is the most significant man-made thing we've seen ever in the OTC, right?
... but perhaps not the most significant man-made thing they have seen.
lmjb1964 wrote:Why do I only see part of some graphics that are posted, and what can I do about it?
If the image is too big to fit, it gets cut off by the rightmost column (of user-info). What I do is right-click and select "view image", which shows just the image, full screen. If the image is still too seaish, one more (left) click makes it fit. (The mouse pointer turns into a magnifying glass with a + or - sign in it). Ymmv of course, but I'm pretty sure your browser will have some equivalent. Click the back button to return to the post.
lmjb1964 wrote:what I thought was #300, but it said "Posts: 302." So I thought, I was off by two, so I clicked on an earlier post ... Then I realized I was an idiot. [...] I forgot that it changed on the old posts too. *face palm*
What really happened was that somebody stole two posts and sold them on the black market by mistake. This is called a fence post error.

And while I didn't notice your 300th post (and don't even notice my own round numbers for the most part), I like you three hundred times too. (is that six hundred times?)

mscha wrote:Hmm, nobody had mentioned yet how it's All Related, and Time is the GLR's attempt to slow down the Pace of Modern Life...
These days people (and robots too) are so impatient for wisdom that they demand pithy analysis be posted the same day that a deep thought is presented. Whatever became of the times when we were content to let cogitation happen at its own pace? :)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

User avatar
charlie_grumbles
Posts: 1004
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:07 pm UTC
Location: Self Imposed Exile

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby charlie_grumbles » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:I really think that some of the "molpy action" we've seen was not intentional by Master Randall, but artifacts of the process of creation (like dark matter :D).


Molpy is sad because you equate him to mustard:
Image

You, little one, were clearly intentional.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

User avatar
Kieryn
Posts: 975
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:40 pm UTC
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Kieryn » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:07 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:Oh and newothercomic

Hmm, nobody had mentioned yet how it's All Related, and Time is the GLR's attempt to slow down the Pace of Modern Life...


I think the phrase that emanates here is more "It's All Relative" than "It's All Related"
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

User avatar
Rule110
Posts: 387
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:14 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Rule110 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:08 pm UTC

Cairns are used to mark trails above treeline, where there are no trees to put blaze marks on, and where markers placed or inscribed or pained on the ground would blow away or get covered by ice and snow. Cuegan would probably not know this, and they aren't on a marked trail anyhow.

Cairns are also used to mark burial sites, or as tombs themselves where it's not practical to dig a grave. Depending on where they come from, Cuegan could already be aware of this (and have no desire to disturb such a cairn) or not (and so, would be unaware of its significance).

A cairn could also mark a supplies cache, but only in a few cases: where the area is so remote that there is little chance of thieves finding the cairn; or where the environment is so hostile that emergency caches are maintained communally and theft from such a cache without dire need would be nearly unthinkable. These don't seem likely and the environment doesn't appear to be all that hostile.

Another, simpler possibility is that the cairn marks the boundary of the upland for those traveling the other direction, warning that the steep slopes Cuegan just climbed are "ahead." To be effective, there would have to be a line of those cairns, more or less perpendicular to the view frame; and there very well could be. In fog or moonlight, especially to someone riding a holpy or steamcycle instead of walking, the warning cairns would be more visible than the drop-off itself.

To Cuegan, then, the cairn is either recognizable as a grave or as a boundary marker, or its purpose is not recognizable and they see it only as more evidence the area is or was inhabited. In the latter case, it's just one of many kinds of evidence and so is not very remarkable in itself.

The "barbs" on the fence are a bigger mystery. ("Barbed rail fence" does appear to exist, but only as the name of a traditional quilt pattern!) If the barbs represent overlaid wire mesh, then it narrows down the temporal setting of Time a bit more, while also suggesting the husbandry of livestock smaller than holpies or moopies.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

User avatar
jovialbard
Posts: 613
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:08 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby jovialbard » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:12 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:<snip>...and they aren't on a marked trail anyhow.<snip>


Maybe they are, perhaps that's what the markings on the wowtrees are??? (The notion that it's a marker for the steep slope makes a lot of sense though)
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

User avatar
Neil_Boekend
Posts: 3220
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:35 am UTC
Location: Yes.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:13 pm UTC

I think that the edgemolpy is a velocirabtor (genetic hybrid of a velociraptor and a bunny. A scientific experiment that got out of hand. Really sad story.) that is going to eat Quegan and thus end Time.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

User avatar
SBN
Saved
Posts: 2232
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:15 pm UTC
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby SBN » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:15 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:The "barbs" on the fence are a bigger mystery. ("Barbed rail fence" does appear to exist, but only as the name of a traditional quilt pattern!) If the barbs represent overlaid wire mesh, then it narrows down the temporal setting of Time a bit more, while also suggesting the husbandry of livestock smaller than holpies or moopies.

Or plant husbandry, if the mesh is to keep small molpies out.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

User avatar
Kieryn
Posts: 975
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:40 pm UTC
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Kieryn » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:17 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:@Kieryn: what's up with the forum data?


sorry... outside duties... multiplying due to neglect... trying to exterminate... wait, there's one...
Image

Okay, so will update tonight, but heads up everyone: there will be an unfortunate dark nodata period throughout July as I will be travelling. I will still be there in the background, but my posts will continue to become less frequent until summer begins to end.

AluisioASG wrote:
jovialbard wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
jovialbard wrote:Also, I've decided to support the SEFAN, so I reject the theofascist demands of the PFAN. LONG LIVE THE EMPEROR! (for a page)

HERESY! Eat them, Pasa!
I, for one, would go with a technocracy instead.


Sure technocracy would be alright, but one step at a time, you can't go straight from a papacy to a technocracy.

Very well. I vote for Kieryn.

Not sure exactly what I've been voted for, but um... thanks... I guess.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

User avatar
charlie_grumbles
Posts: 1004
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:07 pm UTC
Location: Self Imposed Exile

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby charlie_grumbles » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:24 pm UTC

I shall be away for the unveiling of the next newpix, so I don my prophet's robe and

[prophesy]
The next pix shall show the same frame, with cuegan having exited, but some creature entering, at least partially, from the left.
[/prophesy]

Dear Randall, you have it in your power to bless this prophet of the OTC and raise him up in the eyes of the timewaiters or lay him low and subject him to the ridicule of the tribe. I await your judgment and will return to receive it soon-ish. Bless me kid, for I am gone.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

User avatar
k.bookbinder
Posts: 975
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:17 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby k.bookbinder » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:29 pm UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:The fence reminds me of split rail, but with chicken wire, or wire mesh, on one side. Like this:
Spoiler:
Image

Well-spotted! Someone earlier suggested barbed wire, but I would judge that the rails are far too thick for that. But a heavy mesh fence, zoomed out to invisibility, might well leave just such small ticks visible along the length of the rails.

I agree that, especially the upper horizontal structure, looks like it's thicker than wire. But I still think that I see spikes/thorns/...11-4 (not 7) Is there anything like spiky wooden rails?


Yes. Though I could not find a very good picture of one. Old split rail fences (especially here in the American South) that have additional wire barrier attached, were generally made by hand, including the wire mesh (as opposed to store bought rolls on pre-cut wire mesh). Large gauge wire was attached to the fence rails using u-shaped nails. Once the vertical wires were in place, the horizontal wires were threaded through and nailed in place. This often leaves uneven ends sticking out everywhere, and overlaps. Effective, but not necessarily tidy, especially as the rails age and shift, and the wire warps and rusts. These fences are not pleasant to climb, as placing ones hand on the top rail could very likely lead to a required tetanus shot. But they are effective at keeping the molpycows/molpysheep in and, generally, the molpycoyotes out.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

User avatar
jovialbard
Posts: 613
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:08 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby jovialbard » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:31 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:I shall be away for the unveiling of the next newpix, so I don my prophet's robe and

[prophesy]
The next pix shall show the same frame, with cuegan having exited, but some creature entering, at least partially, from the left.
[/prophesy]

Dear Randall, you have it in your power to bless this prophet of the OTC and raise him up in the eyes of the timewaiters or lay him low and subject him to the ridicule of the tribe. I await your judgment and will return to receive it soon-ish. Bless me kid, for I am gone.


Naaa, it'll be a dude with a shotgun.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

User avatar
moody7277
Posts: 621
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:06 pm UTC
Location: Extreme south Texas

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby moody7277 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:32 pm UTC

Rule 110 wrote:Cairns are also used to mark burial sites, or as tombs themselves where it's not practical to dig a grave.


Here lies molpy
Beloved pet
Pepperony and chease


Anyone think it means anything that Cuegan are on the near side of the fence, such as that there is a continuation of the fence into the distance where we can't see it?
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.


BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

User avatar
k.bookbinder
Posts: 975
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:17 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby k.bookbinder » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:40 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
jovialbard wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
jovialbard wrote:Also, I've decided to support the SEFAN, so I reject the theofascist demands of the PFAN. LONG LIVE THE EMPEROR! (for a page)

HERESY! Eat them, Pasa!
I, for one, would go with a technocracy instead.


Sure technocracy would be alright, but one step at a time, you can't go straight from a papacy to a technocracy.

Very well. I vote for Kieryn.

Not sure exactly what I've been voted for, but um... thanks... I guess.


This sounds like the early mutterings of some kind of OTT Reformation. If true, there be dark times ahead. Hopefully no burnings or be-headings, though. That could get messy.

moody7277 wrote:
Rule 110 wrote:Cairns are also used to mark burial sites, or as tombs themselves where it's not practical to dig a grave.


Here lies molpy
Beloved pet
Pepperony and chease


Anyone think it means anything that Cuegan are on the near side of the fence, such as that there is a continuation of the fence into the distance where we can't see it?


Hadn't really noticed they were on the nearside, unlike whilst walking past the grapevine (molpy, molpy, molpy, molpy, molpy, grapevine! grapevine!) . You mean to suggest that, from our viewing angle, there is a perpendicular fence line stretching away from us, for which we cannot see?. It is possible.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

User avatar
ucim
Posts: 6859
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:23 pm UTC
Location: The One True Thread

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ucim » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:56 pm UTC

moody7277 wrote:Anyone think it means anything that Cuegan are on the near side of the fence, such as that there is a continuation of the fence into the distance where we can't see it?
I am taking the fence as parallel to the screen. There could be a perpendicular section at the border, but if the fence were coming in at an angle (so that it is in the slice for only part of the run), and it were important, I would expect the OTA to indicate this somehow (such as by fading it in). So I think it either doesn't, or it isn't important.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

User avatar
moody7277
Posts: 621
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:06 pm UTC
Location: Extreme south Texas

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby moody7277 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:00 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
moody7277 wrote:Anyone think it means anything that Cuegan are on the near side of the fence, such as that there is a continuation of the fence into the distance where we can't see it?
I am taking the fence as parallel to the screen. There could be a perpendicular section at the border, but if the fence were coming in at an angle (so that it is in the slice for only part of the run), and it were important, I would expect the OTA to indicate this somehow (such as by fading it in). So I think it either doesn't, or it isn't important.

Jose


No, I meant it as k.bookbinder was saying. At the left end of the visible fence, I am postulating a section of fence perpendicular to the one we see that goes into the plane of the comic that we don't see because of the 2.5D nature of our view. Such an extension would be required if it were to enclose any livestock that we might see in the next few newpics.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.


BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

User avatar
mscha
Posts: 6904
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 pm UTC
Location: NL
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:00 pm UTC

ONG, it's a shed!
Image
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Image
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:
Image
Image

User avatar
taixzo
Posts: 1617
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:54 am UTC
Location: The Present

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby taixzo » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:01 pm UTC

mscha wrote:ONG, it's a shed!
Image


O.O

ETA: So this is what the "Oh!" was about!

I wonder whether this is where LaPetite lives?
Last edited by taixzo on Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:03 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 41 guests