1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ggh

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ggh » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:46 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
AK49BWL wrote:
AK49BWL wrote::shock: :shock: What have I done... The Outside ate me alive. I must resist skipping 106 Newpages!! :shock:
Help.....me.........

**Sigh...
I think it's finally happened, I've lost my will to go on, here :( The outside has not been kind to me and I've completely fallen so far behind I don't think I'll ever catch up again. And I just found this post, wedged at the bottom of NewPage 653.... Now seeing there are 250 pages ahead... Hope you guys are having fun, and thanks for the inclusion :) and here's to 250 more FuturePages!!
I'll probably be back... But not until things settle for me out here.

Don't give up completely, AK49BWL. I expect that the One True Comic and the One True Thread will keep going for a while yet. Ketchup as you have the chance, at your own pace, and don't stress out over being behind. Wait for it!

And really, it ain't no sin to skip - a source of teasing maybe, but not a sin. This thing is for fun! Hope to hear from you soon AK49BWL, and I hope the outside starts treating you better.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

Rule110

Re: Episode IV: A New Graph

Postby Rule110 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:52 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:<snip>
We can make a number of observations, some of them rather surprising. The main line plots OTT directly to OTC (yes, there are over 36,000 data points): the steeper the line, the more posts per newpix. In the first wip, of course, the post rate is very high.

On the sixth xip, when the newpix rate is halved, I expected to see the line steepen, since there was more Outside time for posting to each newpix. Instead, after a fewpix the post rate drops sharply. That seems to be the first point at which a significant number of Waiters decide, "Randall's jerking our chain," and begin to bail out. Notice, over the next wip, the density of red hash marks indicating where a Waiter posts for the last time, starting even before Time fails to end on April 1st.
Spoiler:
Despite the flight of so many Waiters, the OTT stays fairly active, slowing down somewhat when Megan takes a nap, only to surge forward again at the appearance of La Petite. And when Megan says, "bye," we see a substantial surge in first-posters, right up through the Fade-out.

But when we join Megball in their explorations, interest begins to drop off again; there's another surge of last-posts over the next few xips. Not until the "Neat" tree and the early molpy activity does the decline stop, though some of the slowdown may have been due to school finals.

Since then, OTT activity has been fairly steady, aside from yesterday's surge after the raptorcat springs. The wiply wobble is quite visible, as posting slows down on the Outside wipend (just before the wip lines on the graph.) There's been a slight decline in recent weeks, but nothing I'm going to worry about just yet. After all, summer's started; the sunny Outside is bound to look attractive for a little while, until insanity sets back in....

What a great visualization! Edward R. Tufte couldn't have done better, unless Napoleon's army had marched through the thread.

EDIT: Pagepope! I decree that posts on this page should be edited.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:01 am UTC

ucim wrote:@jjjdavidson: Awesome graphs! These belong in the Book of Numbers1. Are they indexed on your site, or should I consider them each separate pages?

Jose
1being compiled

I'm afraid I'm not that organized, yet. I'll probably just update the "post by pix" charts from time to time, tossing out the earlier versions, but I'm hoping to create a series of progressive results for the "count, span, regularity" chart, so readers can watch it change wiply, or even xiply over the history of the OTT.

But as I say, I'm not really organized yet. (Especially since there are still other charts I'm trying to find time to create.)

Rule110 wrote:What a great visualization! Edward R. Tufte couldn't have done better, unless Napoleon's army had marched through the thread.

Thanks! I think?... Napoleon's army? *scratches head*
ETA "edited to add."
Last edited by jjjdavidson on Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:36 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

jjjdavidson

Postby jjjdavidson » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:04 am UTC

Oh, and ONG....Image
"Tear the bag. It's torn already."─euphemism for "Her water just broke"?
Edit: Redundant sig was redundant.
Last edited by jjjdavidson on Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:38 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Latest OTT Dance Craze: The Wiply Wobble

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:06 am UTC

Wait? Wait! Wait with an Oh in front of it!
Edit: I haven't seen such mastery since way back in 'oh-wait!

jjjdavidson wrote:In recent wips I have read a number of comments about how the OTT is slowing down. If it please the thread, let me here present another graph I've been toying with─it directly addresses that topic. This graph shows the rate of OTC newpix against the rate of OTT posts, with assorted markings and notations. (Spoilered for seaishness.)
Spoiler:
This page presents the graph in two forms: one with the bare line of OTT against OTT, and the other with assorted markings. (PNG versions for the IE8-limited.) Rate of posting is easier to make out on the bare one, but the markings provide some interesting additional information.

We can make a number of observations, some of them rather surprising. The main line plots OTT directly to OTC (yes, there are over 36,000 data points): the steeper the line, the more posts per newpix. In the first wip, of course, the post rate is very high.

On the sixth xip, when the newpix rate is halved, I expected to see the line steepen, since there was more Outside time for posting to each newpix. Instead, after a fewpix the post rate drops sharply. That seems to be the first point at which a significant number of Waiters decide, "Randall's jerking our chain," and begin to bail out. Notice, over the next wip, the density of red hash marks indicating where a Waiter posts for the last time, starting even before Time fails to end on April 1st.

Despite the flight of so many Waiters, the OTT stays fairly active, slowing down somewhat when Megan takes a nap, only to surge forward again at the appearance of La Petite. And when Megan says, "bye," we see a substantial surge in first-posters, right up through the Fade-out.

But when we join Megball in their explorations, interest begins to drop off again; there's another surge of last-posts over the next few xips. Not until the "Neat" tree and the early molpy activity does the decline stop, though some of the slowdown may have been due to school finals.

Since then, OTT activity has been fairly steady, aside from yesterday's surge after the raptorcat springs. The wiply wobble is quite visible, as posting slows down on the Outside wipend (just before the wip lines on the graph.) There's been a slight decline in recent weeks, but nothing I'm going to worry about just yet. After all, summer's started; the sunny Outside is bound to look attractive for a little while, until insanity sets back in....

P.S. Updated version of my earlier graph relating post count, span of time, and posting regularity. There are some noticeable changes; for instance, KarMann sadly dropped far down the chart. He posted recently for the first time in wips, increasing his posting span to nearly the entire span of Time, but shooting his regularity score all to heck. Sorry, KarMann! I'm glad you came back!

Yay! Graphy graphs! I love graphy graphs! Image Thanks so much for these! I've felt, ever since I reached the Now, that the OTT remained pretty consistent aside from the wiply wobble (which is my new favorite ottage, by the way). It's nice to have some proof of that - that's a pretty consistent slope forming after the Fading, when I caught up. It's rather sad to see how few firstposters there are these xips, though. I also find the post count chart quite engrossing. Image
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:27 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:10 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:Oh, and ONG....
Spoiler:

"Tear the bag. It's torn already."─euphemism for "Her water just broke"?

What's the "Oh wait" about? Is it clotting on its own or is she going to claim it's not her blood? Darn these cliffhanger frames. They make it exciting, but it gets frustrating if you do it every frame, Randall!!

ETS: (edit to spoiler) the decree for this page is easy for me. I think I've edited nearly every post I've made.
Last edited by slinches on Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:13 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:12 am UTC

kenmelken: thank you for the compliments, and compliments on the write- up! It's amazing to me that you can do such quality work in only 4 newpix; even when I'm writing a one-line text I end up re-doing it twice. Well done once again, sir, and thanks again for all the work you're doing!

BlitzGirl wrote:One does wonder how the raptorcat learned that stickhumans were viable prey. From what I know about keyboards, they are unlikely to attack people unprovoked.
Pretty sure I missed something here: ‘keyboard’? If that's not an auto-correct, I have to disagree; keyboards seem to be attracted to one of my daughters almost as much, proportionally, as mosquitoes are attracted to me. An expensive disadvantage, and sometimes a painful one. :lol:

mscha wrote:I simultaneously love this theory, and hope that it is wrong. If that makes any sense... (Bit coma-deprived.)
Better than being a byte coma-deprived... and I'm sure that I'm the first person ever to make that joke. :P

Whizbang wrote:All in favor of naming the raptorcat "Lucky"?
Hear, hear!

Eutychus wrote:k.bookbinder wrote:
clearly Cuegan care for one another.

That piece of syntax knocks all the debate about "you", "youse", "thee" and "thou" into joyous irrelevancy...

Oh dear, and Exodies and I just went there again. :| Just to be clear, to me this is an interesting and enjoyable discussion which I consider quasi-relevant because of the quirky dialogue in the OTC. I'd also like to thank Exodies for being so patient with my obtuseness!

TimeLurker wrote:
Dracomax wrote:It's all a metaphor for the fact that GLR is pregnant with kittens.

This made me burst out laughing because in my mind I saw a doctor going to check on a woman in the delivery room and when he peaks under the towel between her legs he throws his arms up and yells "You're a kitty"!
As an undeniable and unrepentant addict of both kitties and babies, I can confirm that this is exactly what would happen.
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

wizpretz

Postby wizpretz » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:15 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:After all, summer's started; the sunny Outside is bound to look attractive for a little while, until insanity sets back in....

Other xkcd readers go outside? That's disappointing. Nice graph overall
Angelastic wrote:
wizpretz wrote:P.S. I'm still listening to Nyan Cat. Help me

Here, try this.

Much better :)

This is an edit.

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:21 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
Rule110 wrote:What a great visualization! Edward R. Tufte couldn't have done better, unless Napoleon's army had marched through the thread.

In Tufte's first and most famous book, he spends a lot of time discussing the Minard chart of Napoleon's march on Moscow as a particularly excellent example of data visualization.
Spoiler:
It shows the position, size, and direction of movement of Napoleon's army against time and temperature scales. It tells the story by presenting a lot of data in a clear way. So, yeah, comparing your chart to it is a compliment.

EDIT: It helps that your chart's legend is in English. Seems a little strange to hold the Minard map up as an example of "clarity" when it's written in a funny language!
Last edited by Rule110 on Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:24 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Time after Time...

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

EDIT: Bonus leopard comic at http://xkcd.com/237/

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:24 am UTC

BlueCrab wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:One does wonder how the raptorcat learned that stickhumans were viable prey. From what I know about keyboards, they are unlikely to attack people unprovoked.
Pretty sure I missed something here: ‘keyboard’? If that's not an auto-correct, I have to disagree; keyboards seem to be attracted to one of my daughters almost as much, proportionally, as mosquitoes are attracted to me. An expensive disadvantage, and sometimes a painful one. :lol:

I imagine that if keyboards keep coming after your daughter, that would be an expensive problem. And often painful.

Make sure she's armed with a whacking stick.
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:26 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:25 am UTC

BlueCrab wrote:Pretty sure I missed something here: ‘keyboard’?

Edit: Ninja'd by BlitzGirl... which is an honor. :)

Jose
Last edited by ucim on Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:27 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

mscha

Re: 1190: Zzzzzzzzz

Postby mscha » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:26 am UTC

Coma time for me!
But not before thanking jjjdavidson for those awesome graphs! You really put a lot of detail in them. I posted a quick graph with NP/dayH earlier today, but it's those details, and the awesome presentation, that make yours so much better!
Last edited by mscha on Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:30 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:27 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:I was going to post this last night, and realized that no one would pay attention. (I wouldn't have.) Maybe tonight it'll have a chance.

In recent wips I have read a number of comments about how the OTT is slowing down. If it please the thread, let me here present another graph I've been toying with─it directly addresses that topic. This graph shows the rate of OTC newpix against the rate of OTT posts, with assorted markings and notations. (Spoilered for seaishness.)

Wow, this is actually incredibly impressive. It's amazing how pure data becomes so much easier to read when processed properly. Many kudos to you, j3!

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:33 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:I was going to post this last night, and realized that no one would pay attention. (I wouldn't have.) Maybe tonight it'll have a chance.

In recent wips I have read a number of comments about how the OTT is slowing down. If it please the thread, let me here present another graph I've been toying with─it directly addresses that topic. This graph shows the rate of OTC newpix against the rate of OTT posts, with assorted markings and notations. (Spoilered for seaishness.)
Spoiler:

Wow. Awesome work! You can really see some cool info there... The most significant piece of info that I can see is the rate of drop offs is currently far higher than the rate of new posters. This is kind of like a birth-death ratio and shows the general direction we're going. Which is generally towards fewer active posters even though the overall post rate continues to be constant.

ETA: I would expect to see an increase in new posters during the exciting cat mauling episode, but it's probably too early yet for the new posts to have passed the initial quarantine.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:37 am UTC

Kieryn wrote:Wow. Awesome work! You can really see some cool info there... The most significant piece of info that I can see is the rate of drop offs is currently far higher than the rate of new posters. This is kind of like a birth-death ratio and shows the general direction we're going. Which is generally towards fewer active posters even though the overall post rate continues to be constant.

Isn't the drop-off count artificially high at the end of the graph? I think we're all included, all of us have a final post (up to the time the data was gathered). Next time the graph is refreshed, for many of us, that line will have moved from the current spot to a place close the end at that time.
Last edited by mscha on Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:39 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:38 am UTC

Kieryn wrote:

Spoiler:

Wow. Awesome work! You can really see some cool info there... The most significant piece of info that I can see is the rate of drop offs is currently far higher than the rate of new posters. This is kind of like a birth-death ratio and shows the general direction we're going. Which is generally towards fewer active posters even though the overall post rate continues to be constant.

ETA: I would expect to see an increase in new posters during the exciting cat mauling episode, but it's probably too early yet for the new posts to have passed the initial quarantine.

Keep in mind that a red bar is a user's last post - not necessarily indicative that they've died. While there is a tendency towards more red bars, that's also because of people who haven't posted in a few newpix/dips/wips but may still be following.

ETA: Wow, not only did mscha ninja me with the same point, but according to the forums, I somehow managed to ninja myself - it showed my own post in the "posts that have been made while you were writing" page.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:46 am UTC

While doing some outside vacuuming, I sang molpy molp molp molpy molp molpy molp molp molp... to the tune of Nyan Cat :D
(Outside but indoors)

I feel bad about callously wishing for Cueball to be injured. And now Megan is the seriously injured one, but she would have been hurt in a different way if Cueball had died. I'm so sorry Megball!
Last edited by Eternal Density on Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:58 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:52 am UTC

mscha wrote:
Kieryn wrote:Wow. Awesome work! You can really see some cool info there... The most significant piece of info that I can see is the rate of drop offs is currently far higher than the rate of new posters. This is kind of like a birth-death ratio and shows the general direction we're going. Which is generally towards fewer active posters even though the overall post rate continues to be constant.

Isn't the drop-off count artificially high at the end of the graph? I think we're all included, all of us have a final post (up to the time the data was gathered). Next time the graph is refreshed, for many of us, that line will have moved from the current spot to a place close the end at that time.

Yes, but I was looking at the trend/trail left over the past few weeks, not really the past few days.

Edit: I guess what would add value here, is seeing how this graph evolves over time... what is the rate of red lines disappearing at various parts of the past?
Last edited by Kieryn on Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:55 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Image- Kieryn

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:54 am UTC

Spoiler:

WHAT?? I really hope this isn't "Oh, wait - my leg is actually falling off."

Edit: You can tell I think weirdly when I need to coma.
Last edited by taixzo on Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:07 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

nsub1

Postby nsub1 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:55 am UTC

If The GLR read the OTT, we would find that it wasn't blood, but just ketchup.

jjjdavidson

Postby jjjdavidson » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:56 am UTC

Rule110 wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:
Spoiler:

In Tufte's first and most famous book, he spends a lot of time discussing the Minard chart of Napoleon's march on Moscow as a particularly excellent example of data visualization.
Spoiler:
It shows the position, size, and direction of movement of Napoleon's army against time and temperature scales. It tells the story by presenting a lot of data in a clear way. So, yeah, comparing your chart to it is a compliment.

EDIT: It helps that your chart's legend is in English. Seems a little strange to hold the Minard map up as an example of "clarity" when it's written in a funny language!

Actually, the Minard map is a wonderful example. My French* is practically nonexistent, yet I can understand with horrifying clarity what that chart/map is saying about Napoleon's army's advance and retreat. Those poor, poor mustards.

mscha wrote:

Yes, mscha and ChronosDragon, I should have made more of a point of that. But there's a reason the legend says "latest post" and not "last post." There's a red tick for every blue tick,º and naturally they cluster at the present. Later (if I don't punk out) I'm going to add some commentary and explanation to the web pages.

ETA2: By the way, thanks again, mscha, for the server space. Using your server is much better than trying to link everything to a Dropbox folder.

* But yes, there are few languages funnier than French.
º One blood-sucking little bugger for every hound dog.

ETA:
BlitzGirl wrote:Make sure she's armed with a thwapping stick.
FTFY.
Last edited by jjjdavidson on Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:12 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:56 am UTC

taixzo wrote:
Spoiler:

WHAT?? I really hope this isn't "Oh, wait - my leg is actually falling off."

Find out in less 4 minutes :)
Image- Kieryn

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:59 am UTC

Wait for it... [edit] just this
Last edited by Eternal Density on Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:43 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:01 am UTC

Arrgh! No text dialog! :(
And it's comatime
Image- Kieryn

jjjdavidson

Postby jjjdavidson » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:02 am UTC

Pick the molpies up, put'em in the bag. Bump BONG...
She's looking in her bag. Proposed explanation: They accidentally switched bags, and she's just now noticed it.

[sexist]And of course, he's too cueless to notice that all of her stuff is in his bag. Didn't he notice how much heavier it got?[/sexist]
Edited to add sexist pig joke.
Last edited by jjjdavidson on Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:06 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:04 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:Pick the molpies up, put'em in the bag. Bump BONG...
She's looking in her bag. Proposed explanation: They accidentally switched bags, and she's just now noticed it.

I like that explanation... and it will lead to some revelation to Megan about some embarrassing item that Cueball brought with him! Ha ha.
Image- Kieryn

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:07 am UTC

Kieryn wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:Pick the molpies up, put'em in the bag. Bump BONG...
Spoiler:

I like that explanation... and it will lead to some revelation to Megan about some embarrassing item that Cueball brought with him! Ha ha.

Maybe he found her actual dilgunerrang. That would certainly lead to an awkward moment.

CameronCat

Postby CameronCat » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:19 am UTC

Megan is about to discover that the blood is not hers. Since Cue appears unbowed, it must be
from the cat, non?

But the OTT Melange of Metaphorists (tm) is officially puzzled; what does this attack mean in the greater story? We announce ourselves as Officially Puzzled and will pace the Tabernacle with hands firmly clasped behind our backs.
Apprentice Curmudgeon by appointment to the Order of the Holy Contradiction
Knight Luminary and Second Prelate of the Proscenium
It's all related

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:22 am UTC

CameronCat wrote:Megan is about to discover that the blood is not hers. Since Cue appears unbowed, it must be
from the cat, non?

But the OTT Melange of Metaphorists (tm) is officially puzzled; what does this attack mean in the greater story? We announce ourselves as Officially Puzzled and will pace the Tabernacle with hands firmly clasped behind our backs.

That's actually a fairly plausible explanation. Except, Megan only attacked the cat with blunt objects; how would it have ended up with an open wound?

ETA: ETA: ETA: ETA: ETA: ETA: ETA: ETA: ETA: _
Last edited by taixzo on Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:36 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:28 am UTC

taixzo wrote:
CameronCat wrote:Megan is about to discover that the blood is not hers. Since Cue appears unbowed, it must be
from the cat, non?

That's actually a fairly plausible explanation. Except, Megan only attacked the cat with blunt objects; how would it have ended up with an open wound?

Ooooh oooh! Maybe... bear with me a second... just maybe when she was pushed over she fell on half eaten corpse that for some reason they had not noticed?

EDIT: Actually, let's get back on track... and remember the evidence. She has recognizable claw marks on her leg and we saw that frame where the cat does appear to strike her knee with it's claw. It really probably is her blood. Ah well... it would have been an interesting spin though for it not to be :)
Last edited by Kieryn on Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:31 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Image- Kieryn

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:31 am UTC

Much going on these past few newpages. Love the graphs! But then who doesn't? Especially when such data and graphs are about us :D

Tis proving difficult to prepare for the wipend camping trip and follow the OTT, but it looks as though all is packed and prepared for our journey. So stopping in to see how things are progressing, I am relieved to see that Megan looks to be OK, but for a minor injury, if a bit bloody. I hope it continues to be just that, minor. I shall have only a moment to enjoy my ketchup upon de-coma'ng, and then I shall be off for two dix).

Coma well all, and for the rest, keep the faith and wait for it.

Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:33 am UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:Much going on these past few newpages. Love the graphs! But then who doesn't? Especially when such data and graphs are about us :D

Tis proving difficult to prepare for the wipend camping trip and follow the OTT, but it looks as though all is packed and prepared for our journey. So stopping in to see how things are progressing, I am relieved to see that Megan looks to be OK, but for a minor injury, if a bit bloody. I hope it continues to be just that, minor. I shall have only a moment to enjoy my ketchup upon de-coma'ng, and then I shall be off for two dix).

Coma well all, and for the rest, keep the faith and wait for it.

Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...

Enjoy the weekend! I used to love going camping... I must do that this summer again at some point.

ETA: My final prediction before coma-ing. It's a boring one:
Spoiler:
Megan has spotted some alternative piece of rag or vine or takes the rope from her bag to use to bind her wound. She's always the one with simple practical solutions.
Image- Kieryn

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:40 am UTC

Heretically, I just finished Saturday lunch and then noticed the time was 1337. So I shall make a prediction: Megan is not
[edit]lactating

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:52 am UTC

taixzo wrote:
from the cat, non?

Wounds from blunt objects can bleed plenty, old D&D rules ("your religion forbids you to shed blood so you must bash your enemies to death with maces, hammers, morning stars, clubs, and staves") notwithstanding.

However, I don't think the blood is the kitty's. You put direct pressure on a wound because you see a wound that's bleeding, not because you see some blood on your skin. Also, they said it was claw marks.

There was blood on the castle, blood all around
And a great big puddle of blood on the ground

Poor Megan lay in it, all covered with gore
And she never will jump over sand dunes no more

Oh pity poor Megan, all bloody and red
The kitty cat clawed her while she bashed in its head

There was blood on the castle, blood all around
And a great big puddle of blood on the ground

To the tune of "Blood on the Saddle" by Tex Ritter, as sung by the big doofus bear in the original Disney Country Bear Jamboree attraction.
Last edited by Rule110 on Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:55 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Time after Time...

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:54 am UTC

How about a bit of optimism. Meagan just didn't finish her sentence earlier. "This is a surprising amount of blood"..."for such a small scratch".
Voice of the Silent
Owner of the contents of Cueball's head
Lurking Time-Ninja of the Past-Post

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:02 am UTC

TimeLurker wrote:How about a bit of optimism. Meagan just didn't finish her sentence earlier. "This is a surprising amount of blood"..."for such a small scratch".

True. They could be overreacting, like this kid.

ETA: Not much differONG
Time after Time...

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:24 am UTC

This is the opposite of what I wanted!

BlueCrab

Re: Poor Megan!

Postby BlueCrab » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:32 am UTC

ggh wrote:They're going to have to stay in that house for a while 'til she's recovered. I wonder if it has a roof? I was thinking that it looks a little like this one, but deroofed.
Picture 32.png

Comment I intended to make: Wow, where did you find this? That is exactly what I was looking for the other dip!

Comment after I scrutinized the image, hoping for some clue: (peering at writing in bottom right-hand corner) G something is that a letter or a -
Madagascar? Does that say Madagascar? It says Madagascar. Well slap my ass and call me Sally.*

Please tell me that is shopped, or that someone else already pointed it out. Please? (Starts taking out worm shields, because it looks like a new can may have just been opened.)

* I've always liked that phrase, for some reason. Probably should look up its origins before I get myself in trouble, though...

Edit: Can't figure out why attachment didn't show up, too too tired to try more :( The post is 1 newpage back, towards the bottom, June 21st at 8:36pm

Coma-zombie staggers off, groaning, “eyes. closed eeeyyyeeesss.”
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

ggh

Re: Poor Megan!

Postby ggh » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:02 am UTC

BlueCrab wrote:
ggh wrote:They're going to have to stay in that house for a while 'til she's recovered. I wonder if it has a roof? I was thinking that it looks a little like this one, but deroofed.
Picture 32.png

Comment I intended to make: Wow, where did you find this? That is exactly what I was looking for the other dip!

Comment after I scrutinized the image, hoping for some clue: (peering at writing in bottom right-hand corner) G something is that a letter or a -
Madagascar? Does that say Madagascar? It says Madagascar. Well slap my ass and call me Sally.*

Please tell me that is shopped, or that someone else already pointed it out. Please? (Starts taking out worm shields, because it looks like a new can may have just been opened.)

* I've always liked that phrase, for some reason. Probably should look up its origins before I get myself in trouble, though...

Edit: Can't figure out why attachment didn't show up, too too tired to try more :( The post is 1 newpage back, towards the bottom, June 21st at 8:36pm

Coma-zombie staggers off, groaning, “eyes. closed eeeyyyeeesss.”

I got it from:
http://photos.wildmadagascar.org/images ... 0971.shtml
I think I was searching for hut madagascar or cabin madagascar when I first found it, but mud hut madagascar gets you there for sure.

ETA: <whapp> You like that, did you Sally?

E2TA: Attachments don't show in replies unless the poster was nice enough to link to the location of the attachment, but I didn't bother because I didn't think anyone would be likely to reply to this. Also I'm lazy.

E3TA: I like this papal decree!
Last edited by ggh on Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:09 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:08 am UTC

I look up from skyrim 10 minutes late and y'all still haven't posted the ONG? Yeesh.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”