1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
ucim
Posts: 6860
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:23 pm UTC
Location: The One True Thread

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ucim » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:30 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:As I recall you can edit it in wysiwyg (what you see is what you get) mode, much like you would a text editor, and it's actually pretty easy. if you copy and past another row it should give you most of what you need, and then you just have to change the links and names. Give it a try!
There's a trick for tables. Right-click on a table element, and you will get two context-sensitive menus one on top of the other. One is from your browser. Ignore it and mouse over to the part of the one it's covering that you can see. Click on one of those and it will open up with options. Now you have access to that buried menu and can see what it does.

Among the choices are row: add new row above, below, delete row...

Careful you choose row, column, or cell appropriately.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

User avatar
kenmelken
Posts: 483
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:28 am UTC
Location: Svithjod

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby kenmelken » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:30 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Hey, what happened to all the amateur botanists in this thread? I wanna know what the heck kind of tree is on the left! (Yeah, okay, it's been on frame for a number of newpix, but I just realized no one has really analyzed it yet)


I'm no botanist, but from a quick search, these look a lot like Seringa trees. They are found throughout large portions of Africa.

Pic below spoilered because seaish. Do an image search and you'll see lots more that quite resemble those in the most recent newpix.

Spoiler:
Image


EDIT: Well, it looks like I'm on top, my friends. I think this time the title I shall choose for myself (rather than Pope, Emperor, or Kindly Caretaker) is Master of Festivals. Therefore, I decree a Great Festival here on the One True Thread, specifically, a Festival of the Wiki!
To properly observe the festival, do any one of the following things:

*Contribute to an article needing help, and then link to its new improved version here in a post on the thread.
*Read an article you've never read before and then share with us here what you appreciated about it.
*Bring a celebratory festival snack to the OTT and share with everyone.

Huzzah! Let the festival begin!
Last edited by kenmelken on Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:36 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

User avatar
ChronosDragon
Posts: 1852
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:42 am UTC
Location: [~]

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:30 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
jovialbard wrote:As I recall you can edit it in wysiwyg (what you see is what you get) mode, much like you would a text editor, and it's actually pretty easy. if you copy and past another row it should give you most of what you need, and then you just have to change the links and names. Give it a try!
There's a trick for tables. Right-click on a table element, and you will get two context-sensitive menus one on top of the other. One is from your browser. Ignore it and mouse over to the part of the one it's covering that you can see. Click on one of those and it will open up with options. Now you have access to that buried menu and can see what it does.

Among the choices are row: add new row above, below, delete row...

Careful you choose row, column, or cell appropriately.

Jose


What browser do you use? I only get the wiki one.
Image

User avatar
akacat
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:39 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby akacat » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:31 pm UTC

kenmelken wrote:
CameronCat wrote:Heh. You're not alone. Without a long story, many MANY years ago a friend and I competed in car rallies. I drove, he navigated**. Even with printed route sheets ("Turn Right at red barn...") he couldn't keep it sorted and would occasionally say "left" when the routes read "right." Not good for staying on the course. But for reasons unknown, he could parse it another way; he had no trouble calling "my side" or "your side" based on what he read. Worked like a charm, and we won a lot of events.

EXACTLY! I can ALWAYS point the right direction or give directions in other ways, but the words "right/left" throw me off and come out wrong about 30% of the time. That is far more problematic than being wrong 100% of the time, in which case others could simply learn to do the opposite of what I say, but when you are right a goodly amount more than you are left wrong, they never know when you are correct or not (and neither do I, because the brain simply doesn't parse those words correctly). I always say to trust which direction I point rather than what I say, because I always point correctly.

I have the same problem. I have no trouble with north/south. And my sense of direction is quite good as long as I'm pointing or saying something like "toward the ocean/mountains" (east/west). But I'm hopeless with left/right and nearly as hopeless with east/west.

And like kenmelken, my failure rate isn't anything like 100%, so people can't assume I mean the opposite of whatever I've said.

I've always jokingly blamed it on me being a righty while my mom is left-handed. But I do wonder if there could be some correlation there?

User avatar
ergman
Posts: 1213
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:24 am UTC
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: My MacBook lives again!

Postby ergman » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:32 pm UTC

ggh wrote:And I'm back to taroting - albeit slowly.

This one is not particularly appropriate in the sense of its interpretation of going somewhere new and starting over, but I couldn't help taking advantage of the six. The boat and distant shore are traditional for this card and the smaller elements are inspired by the works of one of our literary stunners. Each of the pens represents one of the core words of this masterpiece.
Jose, I took your advice... mostly: there's- a wee irregularity in the kerning - I hope that works.
Tarot_swordsSix.jpg

Spoiler:
Image


For the Pope's Pleasure: It's cool but sunny down here in Welly, but happily still after the crazy winds of last week.

Wow. That's awesome! amazing! Stupendous! [synonym for great]! And, believe it or not, quite prophetic, as I'm going to a different school come September, and effectively starting over.
Thanks, ggh!!
!I'm well over my ! Quota
edit: just noticed that my dong-gong is in the distance. swick!
Last edited by ergman on Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:40 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

User avatar
BlitzGirl
Posts: 9099
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:35 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
Kieryn wrote:It's BorONG and freezONG. The old man is snoreONG.
Spoiler:
Image

Hey, what happened to all the amateur botanists in this thread? I wanna know what the heck kind of tree is on the left! (Yeah, okay, it's been on frame for a number of newpix, but I just realized no one has really analyzed it yet)

I was going to guess a river bushwillow tree: a small African tree (Combretum erythrophyllum) bearing 4-winged fruits and usu. growing on the banks of streams - Merriam-Webster.com
but was ninja'd by kenmelken with another Combretum suggestion!

ETA: celebratory O-T-Tree cake for the wiki festival:
Image
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:42 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

User avatar
buffygirl
Cardinal
Posts: 742
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:09 pm UTC
Location: BuffyDashery closed.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby buffygirl » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:36 pm UTC

Blindposting! on p. 925 of 928.

Ok, I'm worried now. I've begun thinking to myself in Cuegan-speak

    Me - the weather's acting weird
    Other Me - yeah
    Me - it keeps changing so fastq
    Other Me - maybe it's broken
    Me - how can the weather break?
    Other Me - I don't know

q I think GLR tends to use correct grammar, but "quickly" sounds a bit to proper.

User avatar
kenmelken
Posts: 483
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:28 am UTC
Location: Svithjod

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby kenmelken » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:38 pm UTC

akacat wrote:
Spoiler:
kenmelken wrote:
CameronCat wrote:Heh. You're not alone. Without a long story, many MANY years ago a friend and I competed in car rallies. I drove, he navigated**. Even with printed route sheets ("Turn Right at red barn...") he couldn't keep it sorted and would occasionally say "left" when the routes read "right." Not good for staying on the course. But for reasons unknown, he could parse it another way; he had no trouble calling "my side" or "your side" based on what he read. Worked like a charm, and we won a lot of events.

EXACTLY! I can ALWAYS point the right direction or give directions in other ways, but the words "right/left" throw me off and come out wrong about 30% of the time. That is far more problematic than being wrong 100% of the time, in which case others could simply learn to do the opposite of what I say, but when you are right a goodly amount more than you are left wrong, they never know when you are correct or not (and neither do I, because the brain simply doesn't parse those words correctly). I always say to trust which direction I point rather than what I say, because I always point correctly.

I have the same problem. I have no trouble with north/south. And my sense of direction is quite good as long as I'm pointing or saying something like "toward the ocean/mountains" (east/west). But I'm hopeless with left/right and nearly as hopeless with east/west.

And like kenmelken, my failure rate isn't anything like 100%, so people can't assume I mean the opposite of whatever I've said.

I've always jokingly blamed it on me being a righty while my mom is left-handed. But I do wonder if there could be some correlation there?


I'm also a righty with a left-handed mom!!!!!!!!


Also, be sure to check the decree I've edited in at the top, declaring a festival here on the OTT!

Edited because quote was seaish and overbearing. I've now spoilered a bunch of it.
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

User avatar
ucim
Posts: 6860
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:23 pm UTC
Location: The One True Thread

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ucim » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:41 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:What browser do you use? I only get the wiki one.
I use seamonkey on ubuntu linux, but I have a lot of the scripty things turned off. It helps prevent facebook, twitter, google, and all those other info-scoopers from knowing what I'm doing, and trying to send me stuff. (Otherwise a lot of web pages simply load forever, as they webmasters assume that you want an endless list of tweets, posts, toots, blog-entries, re-tweets, and all that nonsense.

I have little patience for that. (I have turned animations on because I spend so much time here... but animated avatars (for example) defeat the purpose I use them for (quickly finding somebody in a long thread).

As for left and right, I have that down pretty well. East and West are my bugaboos, so I mentally turn them into "right-facing-north" and "left-facing-north" and all is well.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

User avatar
kenmelken
Posts: 483
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:28 am UTC
Location: Svithjod

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby kenmelken » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:46 pm UTC

Kay, I guess I'll kick things off myself with this assortment of festival foods:

Spoiler:
Image


Enjoy the festival!
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

User avatar
mscha
Posts: 6904
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 pm UTC
Location: NL
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:56 pm UTC

Wiki festival update: Dialogue from the Comic is now fully up-to-date. (Only had to add three lines... But I added hundreds of lines over the past wix or so, so I'm not feeling guilty. Image )

And have some wiki cake!
Image

ETA:
Stupid Firefox... Version 22, released today, “fixed” a “bug” that didn't need fixing. Now, if you refresh on a page with a URL with a ‘fragment’ (like <http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&p=3390855#p3390855>) it will not scroll the page to the position of the fragment anymore.
Result on the OTT: I've formed a habit to click on a post subject before hitting refresh, so that the post in question would remain visible. What happens now is, the position doesn't change, then all open spoilers close, you're suddenly looking at a post much further on the page, and you might miss all posts in between.
Image
Last edited by mscha on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:03 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Image
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:
Image
Image

User avatar
ZoomanSP
Posts: 1954
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 11:23 am UTC
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ZoomanSP » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:01 pm UTC

To obey the Master of Festivals, I read the article so many people talked about in the recent NPs. However, using this link I still see only 96 songs. Is it the wrong address? For example, the songs mentioned here are still missing. I won't try to edit it, since I haven't tried it before (and since it might be the wrong page at all), and even if it might be WYSIWYG, I fear that already too many people are working on it, causing part of the (read: at least my) confusion. So, it remains the last decree. Please help yourself over here:
Spoiler:
Image
Wait on.

Image
Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

User avatar
slinches
Slinches get Stinches
Posts: 1035
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:23 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby slinches » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:03 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
slinches wrote:I attempted to make an edit to the wiki page a while back but didn't see an easy way to add new items to the middle of the list without breaking the indices (the index is the link, which would have to be manually updated for each entry below the one being added).
The wiki does that automatically. It's an ordered list. All the numbers below will change by magic.

If you manually put in a number, then the list will start again with that number.

The wiki also supports unordered lists, just like HTML.

And awesome six of sWords! (eta) well befitting the awesome sestina of ergman. :)

Jose

Thanks, it makes much more sense now why the index column didn't show up in the source. I was confused by that and got pulled away to do some work before I could play with it enough to figure it out.

ETA: Wiki successfully updated! (now at 112) I'll add HES's this evening if nobody has by then.

User avatar
ChronosDragon
Posts: 1852
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:42 am UTC
Location: [~]

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:08 pm UTC

I edited the Mustard to be a little more in-depth.

As for wiki-treats:

Image
Image

User avatar
mscha
Posts: 6904
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 pm UTC
Location: NL
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:08 pm UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:To obey the Master of Festivals, I read the article so many people talked about in the recent NPs. However, using this link I still see only 96 songs.

I had that once on the Dialogue page: when logged in, you'd see the latest version, when logged out, you'd see an older one. Was fixed when I did another update.
Just tried this on the Songs page – just a dummy update with 0 changes – and it seems to have helped; now 112 songs are listed in either case.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Image
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:
Image
Image

User avatar
mscha
Posts: 6904
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 pm UTC
Location: NL
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:10 pm UTC

UNCHONGONGNESSES...
Image

-- posted by newpixbot
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Image
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:
Image
Image

User avatar
mscha
Posts: 6904
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 pm UTC
Location: NL
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:11 pm UTC

Newpixbot, are you bored by the OTC? You'll just have to
Spoiler:
wait for it
, just like the rest of us.
Last edited by mscha on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:11 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Image
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:
Image
Image

User avatar
ChronosDragon
Posts: 1852
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:42 am UTC
Location: [~]

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:11 pm UTC

mscha wrote:UNCHONGONGNESSES...
Spoiler:
Image


-- posted by newpixbot


Wow, newpixbot found a word with a double ONG! And somewhat appropriate, too, given the molpies seem to have gone.
Image

User avatar
yappobiscuits
Posts: 2845
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:41 am UTC
Location: The Sea
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:23 pm UTC

akacat wrote:
kenmelken wrote:
CameronCat wrote:Heh. You're not alone. Without a long story, many MANY years ago a friend and I competed in car rallies. I drove, he navigated**. Even with printed route sheets ("Turn Right at red barn...") he couldn't keep it sorted and would occasionally say "left" when the routes read "right." Not good for staying on the course. But for reasons unknown, he could parse it another way; he had no trouble calling "my side" or "your side" based on what he read. Worked like a charm, and we won a lot of events.

EXACTLY! I can ALWAYS point the right direction or give directions in other ways, but the words "right/left" throw me off and come out wrong about 30% of the time. That is far more problematic than being wrong 100% of the time, in which case others could simply learn to do the opposite of what I say, but when you are right a goodly amount more than you are left wrong, they never know when you are correct or not (and neither do I, because the brain simply doesn't parse those words correctly). I always say to trust which direction I point rather than what I say, because I always point correctly.

I have the same problem. I have no trouble with north/south. And my sense of direction is quite good as long as I'm pointing or saying something like "toward the ocean/mountains" (east/west). But I'm hopeless with left/right and nearly as hopeless with east/west.

And like kenmelken, my failure rate isn't anything like 100%, so people can't assume I mean the opposite of whatever I've said.

I've always jokingly blamed it on me being a righty while my mom is left-handed. But I do wonder if there could be some correlation there?

Hah, so glad I'm not the only one here. I always have to think really hard when it comes to left/right or east/west, and often just end up blurting out the first one that comes to mind and it's usually the wrong one. I'm also a righty with a lefty mother, but she's just as bad as me so I dunno. Although since learning to drive I've gotten a lot better, since I remember that turning right is the one where you have to cross over the other lane (of course that would be the case for left across the pond).

ETA: Oh yay, a festival! It's about time, I don't think we've had any religious festivals yet. All religions should have festivals.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT
Image

User avatar
Angelastic
Posts: 700
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:36 am UTC
Location: .at (let's see what's through here!)
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Angelastic » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:50 pm UTC

Before saying left or right I have to think for a second about which hand I write with (I'm very much right-handed, so the old 'the hand you write with is your right hand, and the one that's left is your left' works for me), and then think a bit more in case I inexplicably chose the wrong writing hand. But I think I can more-or-less instinctively tell you which side is stage-Paul and which is stage-Storm. Maybe I need to think of that (I know Paul is on the left), or, say, the direction I read in (left to right), rather than trying to remember which hand I write with. When was the last time I actually wrote, anyway?

ETA: Actually, can we just agree to call the directions capslockward and enterward? Would that work, or do we need a smartphone version?
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

User avatar
HES
Posts: 4889
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 7:13 pm UTC
Location: England

Wikinept no more

Postby HES » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:56 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
jovialbard wrote:As I recall you can edit it in wysiwyg (what you see is what you get) mode, much like you would a text editor, and it's actually pretty easy. if you copy and past another row it should give you most of what you need, and then you just have to change the links and names. Give it a try!
There's a trick for tables. Right-click on a table element, and you will get two context-sensitive menus one on top of the other. One is from your browser. Ignore it and mouse over to the part of the one it's covering that you can see. Click on one of those and it will open up with options. Now you have access to that buried menu and can see what it does.

Among the choices are row: add new row above, below, delete row...

Careful you choose row, column, or cell appropriately.

Jose

Success! Last time I tried it opened up in 'source' mode and scared me off. This is my newly learned thing for today :)
(And thanks mscha for the gentle push to stop being lazy)
He/Him/His Image

User avatar
ChronosDragon
Posts: 1852
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:42 am UTC
Location: [~]

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:00 pm UTC

HES wrote:
ucim wrote:
jovialbard wrote:As I recall you can edit it in wysiwyg (what you see is what you get) mode, much like you would a text editor, and it's actually pretty easy. if you copy and past another row it should give you most of what you need, and then you just have to change the links and names. Give it a try!
There's a trick for tables. Right-click on a table element, and you will get two context-sensitive menus one on top of the other. One is from your browser. Ignore it and mouse over to the part of the one it's covering that you can see. Click on one of those and it will open up with options. Now you have access to that buried menu and can see what it does.

Among the choices are row: add new row above, below, delete row...

Careful you choose row, column, or cell appropriately.

Jose

Success! Last time I tried it opened up in 'source' mode and scared me off. This is my newly learned thing for today :)


I actually find it easier to work with in source mode. Maybe its because I code a lot or maybe its because the WYSIWYG editor kinda sucks, I'm not sure. I do use the WYSIWYG editor a bit if I'm not sure on syntax, but I can't make major changes with it.
Image


User avatar
buffygirl
Cardinal
Posts: 742
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:09 pm UTC
Location: BuffyDashery closed.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby buffygirl » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:09 pm UTC

Comments below include:
    @ttscp (twice!)
    @kenmelken (twice!)
    @thirds
    @ggh

ttscp wrote:<snip> Off topic, but you started it :) . Detailed explanation here, but you have the gist. There's a hierarchy, however: if you can't have any affect on the largest group, then work for the next largest group. I start with the universe, then living things, then (with perhaps some intermediate steps) human beings, then Hatfields, then Southern Californians (because those Northern Californians just don't understand water issues), and you get the idea.
Oh, Time Waiters belongs in there somewhere. I'm sorry if I come across serious about this, but I am.

Hey there now! Everyone knows that Southern California steals water from us1!

1 i.e. Northern Californians. A sect of which I am no longer a member, but for which I still have loyalty.2
2 Yes, I am putting my footnotes after the actual paragraph rather than at the bottom, because it's easier for me.

kenmelken wrote:
Spoiler:
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEFEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeEEEEEEEEEEEEE
btw, one of them is actually an "F"

Squeeee! I found it! I found it! and without too much trouble either (like, 4 seconds … although I did start from the bottom …). I'm pretty good at that kind of thing, I think. Although I can never find my husband's face in a crowd ...

ttscp wrote:(Any resemblance to the OTC in the following is purely coincidental. In particular the protagonist 'He' is not Cuegan, although his adventures are similar.)

All around him was grey. All he could see, all he could smell, all he could hear, all he could feel. It felt oddly comforting, caressing his body like a cool fog.
Spoiler:
Through the fog he could dimly hear something. Wavelike, rising and falling, undulating slowly in a rhythm coincident and counterpoint to his own bodily rhythms.

He took a step forward. A sea.

He stood at the edge watching the ebb and flow of the waves for a mulititude of cycles. It seemed to him that the waves were coming closer. Was the sea rising?

He began to walk along the edge of the sea.

The sun rose and set and rose and set again. He slept and woke and walked.

He came to a river and turned inland. The sea had definitely risen, now the land slowly rose.

The sun rose and set. He slept, dreaming of potential falls, woke and continued.

Plants formed ahead of him. Small at first, along the river's edge.

He watched a creature fly over.

Bushes and trees appeared, getting larger as he walked.

He walked and slept and walked again.

Berries appeared on the bushes, sustenance. He ate them, adding another rhythm of his own to the many now in existence.

Small creatures rustled in the grass, scurrying away or following him. He entered and left a stand of giant trees and found cultivated grapes. Cultivated? By whom?

Further on other artifacts appeared. Not natural? What was natural for this grey goo world?

The going was steeper now, the land rising almost in proportion to the complexity of life he found around him.

He reached a high point and looked back. The sea was still rising.

Small creatures accompanied him. Some he saw, others he heard, and others he did not notice. He tried feeding one but it ran up a tree.

Once he was startled by a snake and fell. The snake did not appear poisonous, but the goo was getting ideas.

He then saw one flying creature feeding another smaller one. Was the goo taking those ideas from him?

Whatever was happening, the world was beautiful, and getting more so each cycle. He saw a waterfall and a flying creature with beautiful wings. He did not see the creature eaten by another as it flew.

He reached another artifact. A shelter. And at the shelter a rustling in the bushes.

There was more to see, more to do. There always is.

But the rustling in the bushes became a creature, large and dark, who leapt at him, tore at him with claws and jaws and left him bleeding.

And as he dissolved from consciousness he was welcomed back by the rising sea of grey goo, each nano - his and theirs: body and creature, artifact and bush, part and whole - bounced for joy at the adventure.

Who would have thought that sight could be so wonderful, that smell and touch and taste were some amazing, and that taste could rapture?

ETA: second story I've posted, I broke my own record.

Thank you for creating in prose what it is that the OTC creates, or at least one way of interpreting and presenting plot. You've portrayed it as more of a "mood piece," which is how I have viewed it ever since they started talking about the sea (or roundabouts … I don't actually remember when, to be honest). Your prose-poem is beautiful. It captures the beauty, innocence, and exploration of the characters of the OTC (although, as you implied, any similarity to the OTC is purely coincidental). Your style rather reminds me of Le Petit Prince (which has been referenced at least three times in the OTT, quite possibly more … it's all related!).

Some constructive input for you (take it or leave it!):
Spoiler:
I find the word "goo" a bit jarring, and to me it interrupts the flow. I don't really have an alternate word for you, just letting you know.
Similarly, I find the sentence, "He tried feeding one but in ran up a tree" to be somehow in a different flow from the rest, and when I got to that sentence, it felt awkward to me.

kenmelken wrote:<snip>Record: My first reminder on this newpage of the special code I posted a few NewPages back that still nobody has solved. Has anyone been trying? Anybody frustrated and need a hint?

I'm sorry! I have skipped all of the code thingies because I know nothing about code, encryption, or anything of the sort. :( I also suck at Sudoku, so skipped those too. Apparently I don't like challenging my brain in directions it doesn't like ... hmmmm... I guess I'm lazy or something. Oh well!

thirds wrote:That molpy sequence was extremely subtle. What if there weren't people zooming into the images, making difference gifs to see the very slight changes? Randall apparently assumed there would be.

This thought has occurred to me as well. These molpy and pixel movements (remember the rising sea!) appear to be intentional, and I would think he wouldn't bother with such detail if he thought no one would notice. And in some cases, the movements certainly are only going to be noticed if someone really really wants to find them!

ggh wrote:And I'm back to taroting - albeit slowly.

This one is not particularly appropriate in the sense of its interpretation of going somewhere new and starting over, but I couldn't help taking advantage of the six. The boat and distant shore are traditional for this card and the smaller elements are inspired by the works of one of our literary stunners. Each of the pens represents one of the core words of this masterpiece.
Jose, I took your advice... mostly: there's- a wee irregularity in the kerning - I hope that works.
Tarot_swordsSix.jpg

Spoiler:
Image

Awwww! I love that! And ergman is soooo cute! Hat and all!

ETA: blue @'s at the top. For navigation purposes.

Edit2: This is a long, seaish post. I'm not sure if I should have spoilered it more so it takes up less space initially on the page, or if it's good as is. If you feel strongly one way or another, feel free to let me know - it's for posterity!
Last edited by buffygirl on Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:27 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
mscha
Posts: 6904
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 pm UTC
Location: NL
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:10 pm UTC

Squirpy 2.0 is appearing again, so we might be stuck on this ‘scene’ for a while longer.

Image Image
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Image
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:
Image
Image

User avatar
HES
Posts: 4889
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 7:13 pm UTC
Location: England

Tim starved to death when the otters took over

Postby HES » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:18 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:(remember the rising sea!)

I had genuinely forgotten. It seems my memory does not adequately span three months (Happy birthday, OTC)

mscha wrote:Squirpy 2.0 is appearing again, so we might be stuck on this ‘scene’ for a while longer.

Stuck? You sound as if you are not enjoying yourself... more frames = more OTT = more OTTifications = a good thing, no?
He/Him/His Image

User avatar
Eternal Density
Posts: 5580
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:37 am UTC
Contact:

He looked up at the creature as it held out it's arms.

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:29 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Spoiler:
Image
There goes my day.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

User avatar
ggh
Posts: 1952
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:45 am UTC
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Re: My MacBook lives again!

Postby ggh » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:34 pm UTC

ergman wrote:
ggh wrote:And I'm back to taroting - albeit slowly.

This one is not particularly appropriate in the sense of its interpretation of going somewhere new and starting over, but I couldn't help taking advantage of the six. The boat and distant shore are traditional for this card and the smaller elements are inspired by the works of one of our literary stunners. Each of the pens represents one of the core words of this masterpiece.
Jose, I took your advice... mostly: there's- a wee irregularity in the kerning - I hope that works.
Tarot_swordsSix.jpg

Spoiler:
Image

Wow. That's awesome! amazing! Stupendous! [synonym for great]! And, believe it or not, quite prophetic, as I'm going to a different school come September, and effectively starting over.
Thanks, ggh!!
!I'm well over my ! Quota
edit: just noticed that my dong-gong is in the distance. swick!

So glad you like it - and neato that the starting-over bit fit!

Also thanks Jose and Yappo and buffygirl! I guess my festival activity should be to make a Tarot section in the Wiki - I'll try to do that later, though I may need help. I've never wiki'd and I'm terrified of breaking the world. Also, regarding the Wiki, is there somewhere where the doubledactyls, haikus and limericks live? And that neat poem someone wrote that had a second poem woven through it in bold?

A further question, mostly for Jose and ergman, but anyone can chime in: Initially I asked about how to indicate that the Swords suit was going to be repurposed for Words, and at that time, my idea was to change it to "'sWords" but that was kinda clumsy, and I went with a slightly bigger space between s and w. But now, seeing your avatar, ergman, I wonder if I should instead either fade the S a bit, like, Swords, or instead of a straight fading, make it look like the card has a scuff or something over the S. What do you think?

ETA buffygirl
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

User avatar
Eternal Density
Posts: 5580
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:37 am UTC
Contact:

Niclep chose to trust the creature.

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:44 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Stupid Firefox... Version 22, released today, “fixed” a “bug” that didn't need fixing. Now, if you refresh on a page with a URL with a ‘fragment’ (like <http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&p=3390855#p3390855>) it will not scroll the page to the position of the fragment anymore.
Result on the OTT: I've formed a habit to click on a post subject before hitting refresh, so that the post in question would remain visible. What happens now is, the position doesn't change, then all open spoilers close, you're suddenly looking at a post much further on the page, and you might miss all posts in between.
Image
I'm glad I use Chrome because I rely on that behaviour. How can they call that a bug?
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

User avatar
HES
Posts: 4889
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 7:13 pm UTC
Location: England

KOGM

Postby HES » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:05 am UTC

Uh-ONG, steep hill
Image
He/Him/His Image

User avatar
ergman
Posts: 1213
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:24 am UTC
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: My MacBook lives again!

Postby ergman » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:08 am UTC

ggh wrote:
ergman wrote:
ggh wrote:And I'm back to taroting - albeit slowly.

This one is not particularly appropriate in the sense of its interpretation of going somewhere new and starting over, but I couldn't help taking advantage of the six. The boat and distant shore are traditional for this card and the smaller elements are inspired by the works of one of our literary stunners. Each of the pens represents one of the core words of this masterpiece.
Jose, I took your advice... mostly: there's- a wee irregularity in the kerning - I hope that works.
Tarot_swordsSix.jpg

Spoiler:
Image

Wow. That's awesome! amazing! Stupendous! [synonym for great]! And, believe it or not, quite prophetic, as I'm going to a different school come September, and effectively starting over.
Thanks, ggh!!
!I'm well over my ! Quota
edit: just noticed that my dong-gong is in the distance. swick!

So glad you like it - and neato that the starting-over bit fit!

Also thanks Jose and Yappo and buffygirl! I guess my festival activity should be to make a Tarot section in the Wiki - I'll try to do that later, though I may need help. I've never wiki'd and I'm terrified of breaking the world. Also, regarding the Wiki, is there somewhere where the doubledactyls, haikus and limericks live? And that neat poem someone wrote that had a second poem woven through it in bold?

A further question, mostly for Jose and ergman, but anyone can chime in: Initially I asked about how to indicate that the Swords suit was going to be repurposed for Words, and at that time, my idea was to change it to "'sWords" but that was kinda clumsy, and I went with a slightly bigger space between s and w. But now, seeing your avatar, ergman, I wonder if I should instead either fade the S a bit, like, Swords, or instead of a straight fading, make it look like the card has a scuff or something over the S. What do you think?

ETA buffygirl

I like the idea of a faded S, or a scratched out S. Also, this reminds me, everyone go read Orson Scott Card's The Changed Man and The King of Words
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

User avatar
HES
Posts: 4889
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 7:13 pm UTC
Location: England

Too busy eating cookies

Postby HES » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:11 am UTC

mscha wrote:Stupid Firefox... Version 22, released today, “fixed” a “bug” that didn't need fixing

You can't please everybody. But yes, it is silly. Luckily I haven't had the update yet.
He/Him/His Image

User avatar
buffygirl
Cardinal
Posts: 742
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:09 pm UTC
Location: BuffyDashery closed.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby buffygirl » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:20 am UTC

RE: Right/ Left and East/ West

(didja notice that Right is East and Left is West, thus, confusion with one might be related to confusion with the other. This is consistent with finding Up/ Down much easier, as well as North/ South. Then there's that physics mirror thing of up/down vs left/right … It's all related!)

Spoiler:
I don't remember what it is that finally clicked for me with left vs right. Occasionally I still have problems, but now I have a wedding ring on my left hand, so I can cheat. Also, for a long time I used "Now We Shall Eat," which goes counterclockwise (I could remember counterclockwise, probably because it involves movement -- see below).

I got confused regarding East vs West for AGES - until I moved from the East coast to the West coast. Then, somehow, picturing the map, knowing where California is, and knowing it's on the West Coast (living in CA you can't not know you live on the West Coast -- it is part of the nomenclature) made it all clear to me! In the broader worldly sense, learning that "The Western World" is Europe and the US, and "The East" is Asia (from a Western-O-Centric perspective), I was able to make a similar distinction.

except when I'm driving.

I will admit - when driving, if I need to choose either an East or West exit, I have to envision a map. Then I say, "ok, California is West, and I want to go toward the ocean (to which I'm nearest, i.e. the Atlantic1), so I should choose East." I need to go through this mental exercise every time. E.ve.ry. time. Even on exits I've done a hundred times.

I actually have a LOT of those types of mnemonic devices (that term is not limited to auditory or word associations, right?). You should see what I do when memorizing phone numbers and other numbers! For example, if the last four numbers of the phone number are 2367, I'd say "2+3 equals 6, plus 1 equals 7." For some reason, when I manipulate the numbers in this sort of manner, I remember them better; otherwise they are just a random sequence of numbers.

Similarly, when memorizing what I need from the grocery store, I'll envision the layout of the store, and put the number "3" in produce (apples, mushrooms, shallots), "2" in dairy (butter and yogurt), and "2" in cereal (Cheerios and Raisin Bran). Once I break it down by visual sections (i.e. envisioning the space), I can remember up to three items in each section, for up to two or three sections. But I can't do more than a grand total of about eight. Beyond that I'll need a written list. So yes, I cannot just memorize a list of eight. If I do just memorize a list, I can do a list of five. More than that and I need to use a tool.

I am what they call a "kinesthetic" learner. I am also an "auditory" learner, and for me, I learn best when the two are combined. Kinesthetic refers to the use of space, the idea of movement, and the ways these interact with one another, which is what makes it quite different from being a "visual" learner (in case you were wondering).

Ta Da!

1 I went through a similar rigmarole with Atlantic/ Pacific. When I moved to CA, I had paired it with Pacific, and so then I knew the other one was Atlantic.
Last edited by buffygirl on Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:21 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jjjdavidson
Posts: 652
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:40 pm UTC
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby jjjdavidson » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:21 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:
kenmelken wrote:<snip>Record: My first reminder on this newpage of the special code I posted a few NewPages back that still nobody has solved. Has anyone been trying? Anybody frustrated and need a hint?

I'm sorry! I have skipped all of the code thingies because I know nothing about code, encryption, or anything of the sort. :( I also suck at Sudoku, so skipped those too. Apparently I don't like challenging my brain in directions it doesn't like ... hmmmm... I guess I'm lazy or something. Oh well!

No, dear, your gifts and drives simply lie in other directions. There're other mad hatters on the OTT (for instance), but you've been the most prolific and most influential. I could develop the technical ability to gin up a hatted avatar for someone, but the ability to make it fun and original depends on talent I don't have. Don't worry about whether you do the things other Waiters do; just do what you do well.

...Or did I just take the bait as you fished for compliments? :)
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

User avatar
buffygirl
Cardinal
Posts: 742
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:09 pm UTC
Location: BuffyDashery closed.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby buffygirl » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:25 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:...Or did I just take the bait as you fished for compliments? :)

erm ......... :oops:

User avatar
ttscp
Posts: 296
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:05 pm UTC
Location: Lost In Thought - Send Search Party

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ttscp » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:30 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:Comments below include:
    @ttscp (twice!)
    @kenmelken (twice!)
    @thirds
    @ggh

ttscp wrote:<snip> Off topic, but you started it :) . Detailed explanation here, but you have the gist. There's a hierarchy, however: if you can't have any affect on the largest group, then work for the next largest group. I start with the universe, then living things, then (with perhaps some intermediate steps) human beings, then Hatfields, then Southern Californians (because those Northern Californians just don't understand water issues), and you get the idea.
Oh, Time Waiters belongs in there somewhere. I'm sorry if I come across serious about this, but I am.

Hey there now! Everyone knows that Southern California steals water from us

ttscp wrote:(Any resemblance to the OTC in the following is purely coincidental. In particular the protagonist 'He' is not Cuegan, although his adventures are similar.)

All around him was grey. All he could see, all he could smell, all he could hear, all he could feel. It felt oddly comforting, caressing his body like a cool fog.
Spoiler:
Through the fog he could dimly hear something. Wavelike, rising and falling, undulating slowly in a rhythm coincident and counterpoint to his own bodily rhythms.

He took a step forward. A sea.

He stood at the edge watching the ebb and flow of the waves for a mulititude of cycles. It seemed to him that the waves were coming closer. Was the sea rising?

He began to walk along the edge of the sea.

The sun rose and set and rose and set again. He slept and woke and walked.

He came to a river and turned inland. The sea had definitely risen, now the land slowly rose.

The sun rose and set. He slept, dreaming of potential falls, woke and continued.

Plants formed ahead of him. Small at first, along the river's edge.

He watched a creature fly over.

Bushes and trees appeared, getting larger as he walked.

He walked and slept and walked again.

Berries appeared on the bushes, sustenance. He ate them, adding another rhythm of his own to the many now in existence.

Small creatures rustled in the grass, scurrying away or following him. He entered and left a stand of giant trees and found cultivated grapes. Cultivated? By whom?

Further on other artifacts appeared. Not natural? What was natural for this grey goo world?

The going was steeper now, the land rising almost in proportion to the complexity of life he found around him.

He reached a high point and looked back. The sea was still rising.

Small creatures accompanied him. Some he saw, others he heard, and others he did not notice. He tried feeding one but it ran up a tree.

Once he was startled by a snake and fell. The snake did not appear poisonous, but the goo was getting ideas.

He then saw one flying creature feeding another smaller one. Was the goo taking those ideas from him?

Whatever was happening, the world was beautiful, and getting more so each cycle. He saw a waterfall and a flying creature with beautiful wings. He did not see the creature eaten by another as it flew.

He reached another artifact. A shelter. And at the shelter a rustling in the bushes.

There was more to see, more to do. There always is.

But the rustling in the bushes became a creature, large and dark, who leapt at him, tore at him with claws and jaws and left him bleeding.

And as he dissolved from consciousness he was welcomed back by the rising sea of grey goo, each nano - his and theirs: body and creature, artifact and bush, part and whole - bounced for joy at the adventure.

Who would have thought that sight could be so wonderful, that smell and touch and taste were some amazing, and that taste could rapture?

ETA: second story I've posted, I broke my own record.

Thank you for creating in prose what it is that the OTC creates, or at least one way of interpreting and presenting plot. You've portrayed it as more of a "mood piece," which is how I have viewed it ever since they started talking about the sea (or roundabouts … I don't actually remember when, to be honest). Your prose-poem is beautiful. It captures the beauty, innocence, and exploration of the characters of the OTC (although, as you implied, any similarity to the OTC is purely coincidental). Your style rather reminds me of Le Petit Prince (which has been referenced at least three times in the OTT, quite possibly more … it's all related!).

Some constructive input for you (take it or leave it!):
Spoiler:
I find the word "goo" a bit jarring, and to me it interrupts the flow. I don't really have an alternate word for you, just letting you know.
Similarly, I find the sentence, "He tried feeding one but in ran up a tree" to be somehow in a different flow from the rest, and when I got to that sentence, it felt awkward to me.



Thank you, buffygirl. I'm honored. Even if you are a Northern Californian at heart.

I'm posting from my phone so I can't give you the link, but look up grey goo on Wikipedia. I'm actually trying to convey an idea in my mood poem.
The sentence has a typo, the word 'in' should be 'it'. Not the only typo either, I'm afraid.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

User avatar
HES
Posts: 4889
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 7:13 pm UTC
Location: England

Semi-ambidextrous

Postby HES » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:38 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:...Also, for a long time I used "Now We Shall Eat," which goes counterclockwise (I could remember counterclockwise, probably because it involves movement -- see below)...

I always used "Never Eat Shredded Wheat", which goes clockwise. Lucky that you could remember the direction well, otherwise you'd be just as stuck. Having only heard the clockwise version, I'd always considered it foolproof - clearly very wrong

Personally, I have no problem with L/R/E/W, which I'm going to blame on being left handed with a right handed mother. But it's easy to check - make an 'L' shape with index finger and thumb, and it's the right correct way round on the left hand. And East/West makes sense in Europe.
He/Him/His Image

User avatar
buffygirl
Cardinal
Posts: 742
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:09 pm UTC
Location: BuffyDashery closed.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby buffygirl » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:47 am UTC

ttscp wrote:Thank you, buffygirl. I'm honored. Even if you are a Northern Californian at heart.

I'm posting from my phone so I can't give you the link, but look up grey goo on Wikipedia. I'm actually trying to convey an idea in my mood poem.
The sentence has a typo, the word 'in' should be 'it'. Not the only typo either, I'm afraid.

I totally read the "in" as as "it" and didn't notice the typo. Yes indeed, the brain does fill in the gaps sometimes ... and sometimes incorrectly, as we have noticed many a time with the "I read that as..." examples!

EDIT: Yeppers, ok, looked up grey goo, and I see how the term fits! And ... I fear it only does so for someone who knows the term ... Now, if your only audience is the OTT, then No Problemo! You can guide them to the link (you could even do so in the piece itself!). But I think the piece is quite lovely and could be standalone, in which case, the word "goo"could be a bit disconcerting to the audience. You'd have to define it at the beginning in some kind of poetic way or something.

HES wrote:
buffygirl wrote:...Also, for a long time I used "Now We Shall Eat," which goes counterclockwise (I could remember counterclockwise, probably because it involves movement -- see below)...

I always used "Never Eat Shredded Wheat", which goes clockwise. Lucky that you could remember the direction well, otherwise you'd be just as stuck. Having only heard the clockwise version, I'd always considered it foolproof - clearly very wrong

Personally, I have no problem with L/R/E/W, which I'm going to blame on being left handed with a right handed mother. But it's easy to check - make an 'L' shape with index finger and thumb, and it's the right correct way round on the left hand. And East/West makes sense in Europe.

But Shredded Wheat is yummy!

Edit: to add EDIT above.
Last edited by buffygirl on Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:57 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
SBN
Saved
Posts: 2234
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:15 pm UTC
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: Semi-ambidextrous

Postby SBN » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:54 am UTC

HES wrote:
buffygirl wrote:...Also, for a long time I used "Now We Shall Eat," which goes counterclockwise (I could remember counterclockwise, probably because it involves movement -- see below)...

I always used "Never Eat Shredded Wheat", which goes clockwise. Lucky that you could remember the direction well, otherwise you'd be just as stuck. Having only heard the clockwise version, I'd always considered it foolproof - clearly very wrong.

[Now We Shall Eat|Never Eat Shredded Wheat] Reminds me of the rhymes for which snakes are poisonous. In that, there is no way I can remember if it is Red and Yellow, Friendly Fellow or Red and Yellow, Kill a Fellow. It's one of those, I'm sure, but I'm not going to hang around trying to figure it out. I can do planets1, and Roman numerals2, sure, but the mnemonic for will the snake kill me or not. Nope, that one I fail at.

1My Very Efficient Mnemonic Just Screwed Up. No Pluto.
2Increasing Velocity eXceeds Limits, Causing Dangerous Momentum.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

User avatar
BlitzGirl
Posts: 9099
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP
Contact:

Snake! It's a Snake!

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:57 am UTC

If yellow touches black, you're okay, Jack
But if yellow touches red, you're dead!

(I also learned Never Eat Shredded Wheat.)

ergman wrote:I like the idea of a faded S, or a scratched out S. Also, this reminds me, everyone go read Orson Scott Card's The Changed Man and The King of Words

That story always creeps me out. Good, but creepy.

ETA: Brought a wiki'd cupcake for the festival:
Spoiler:
Image
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: distractedSofty and 47 guests