1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Kieryn

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Kieryn » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:02 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Swein wrote:
mscha wrote:Updated animation, still with gamma correction 3:
Spoiler:

Is it just me, or do the stars follow another path than the sun when reaching the horizon?

Just you.
Approximate path of sun (yellow) and venus (red):
Spoiler:

Another indication that this is no way close to the present. Venus would never be that far (if at all) north of the ecliptic after sunset.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:06 pm UTC

Spoiler:

It is such a pretty animation :)

I think I might give a shot at OTTifying Painted Black. But I have not yet decided. Wait for it.

Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:08 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
thirds wrote:De-coma'd, caught up. Missing Antares was something I had wondered about before as well when trying to match up the constellations. Seems intentional if a mus*ard was corrected before but not that.

Kieryn wrote:Scrolling through time in Solarium you get a curve that is generally turning clockwise, but the OTC's sky curve is turning anti clockwise.

Perhaps your superior 3-d spacial awareness is confusing me, but... The motion of the stars will always be counter-clockwise when facing northwardly or even in the northern hemisphere facing due west.

Exactly. And therein lies the problem. According to all projections by Stellarium, they ought to be facing just south of west.

It's almost as if the earth's axis had shifted to tilt the north pole closer to Sagittarius.

That's now two different lines of evidence for ~13k years from now (yfn):
- Individual displacements of star positions. This includes missing Antares, which could be another shift to out of view, or a past supernova event. (Action item: check that the stars that have not moved would not be expected to in that time frame.)
- Stellar geometry; matching up the latitude and direction of view with the constellations visible might require an axis shift. (Action items: measure visible star movements from the Time frames; set up the scenario in Stellarium if possible.)

This talk of multi-millennial axial precession reminds me again of The Clock of the Long Now. That would be as neat and wow a thing as
Spoiler:
an astronomical observatory
for Megan and Cueball to find atop the mountain. The current active and planned clock locations for the Long Now project are both in North American desert regions that could (thousands of yfn) match the ecology seen. Both locations are also many hundreds of miles inland. But, sea levels can change too...
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:10 pm UTC

NONEXCHONGEABLE...

-- posted by newpixbot
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:12 pm UTC

BlueCrab wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:
BlueCrab wrote:I'm going to be intermittent for the rest of the wip because instead of taking care of Little Bear (1.5 years old) I'm going to be taking care of the Bunny, who is just over 2...

Is that the Bunny of Caerbannog?

Nooooo, I stay far away from that particular Bunny!
The animal nicknames just kind of happened: The Bunny was her name from the time she was born, and five weeks later along came the Little Lion. Little Bear was only a bit more than a glimmer then, but as the doctors were worried about him they did bi-weekly scans, and we got to see his little face develop. Little Bear is just what he looked like. The Butterfly (also SnickerDoodle) is the youngest's personality (she's sweet and bright, not flighty :wink:) Her first birthday is this weekend. I... I think I'm going to go feel old for a few minutes...

Added emphasis mine─BlueCrab, clearly I've missed something here. :shock: On the other hand:
cellocgw wrote:
thirds wrote:
jovialbard wrote:Interesting how Nov 7 is over a month shy of 9 months from the start of the comic :wink: :wink:

wow, good catch.

Well, except that 9 months is not the average, or median, time for human gestation. Can't speak for stick people, tho'.

Just how far does your family skew the average? :?
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:13 pm UTC

higgs-boson wrote:
Spoiler:
NoMouse wrote:
cellocgw wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:
cellocgw wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:Cueball and Megan are in a parallel universe in which 9/11 never happened (but maybe an 11/9mir) and Baobabs are growing everywhere in year 13000+

You mean like in Mirage?

You seem not to be a footnote person, don't you. :D
(I'm still voting in favour of S.G.&E. - as you might suspect already since a great deal of newpages)

ooops, apologies. I for some inexplicable reason (ok, actually the reason is that I think in strange paths) saw your footnote tag as something to do with a Soviet orbiting space station.

I read it as "mirror" or "mirrored", which made complete sense to me since the date was indeed mirrored. :D
This is, in fact, a problem some European readers have with the book in question. It is not world wide established standard procedure to write dates "<month>/<day>" (however "Nine Eleven" became a catch phrase. I guess you can do a survey at your local train station asking "When in 2001 happened the incident commonly refered to as 'nine eleven'?" and get 50% wrong answers [with 100% knowing what the incident was about {at least on the matters of what could be observed, root cause analysis may prove to be difficult}]). It is very easy to mix 9/11 and 11/9 in this book. At least, for an European.
I know, I'm a European too and I hate mm/dd or even mm/dd/yyyy date format1. But I have to tolerate it when I'm on English-speaking websites like this. :)
So, the problem with the survey at my local train station would be that it is not commonly referred to as "nine eleven" here, but rather "11. září" meaning "11th September". :wink:

1Edit: I'm fine with the ISO (yyyy-mm-dd) format. It's useful for sorting things.
Last edited by NoMouse on Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:16 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:15 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:This talk of multi-millennial axial precession reminds me again of The Clock of the Long Now. That would be as neat and wow a thing as
Spoiler:
an astronomical observatory
for Megan and Cueball to find atop the mountain. The current active and planned clock locations for the Long Now project are both in North American desert regions that could (thousands of yfn) match the ecology seen. Both locations are also many hundreds of miles inland. But, sea levels can change too...

Hey, that's a great idea. I've always found that to be a mind-boggling project. While we're at it, perhaps somebody could persuade Aubron to change the backing track of his Book to Longplayer. You can get a direct online feed to it playing here. It's got just the right "wait for it" feel to it...
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

MajorDouble7

Postby MajorDouble7 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:16 pm UTC

“This much I'm certain of: it doesn't happen immediately. You'll finish [the book] and that will be that, until a moment will come, maybe in a month, maybe a year, maybe even several years. You'll be sick or feeling troubled or deeply in love or quietly uncertain or even content for the first time in your life. It won't matter. Out of the blue, beyond any cause you can trace, you'll suddenly realize things are not how you perceived them to be at all. For some reason, you will no longer be the person you believed you once were. You'll detect slow and subtle shifts going on all around you, more importantly shifts in you. Worse, you'll realize it's always been shifting, like a shimmer of sorts, a vast shimmer, only dark like a room. But you won't understand why or how. You'll have forgotten what granted you this awareness in the first place

You might try then, as I did, to find a sky so full of stars it will blind you again. Only no sky can blind you now. Even with all that iridescent magic up there, your eye will no longer linger on the light, it will no longer trace constellations. You'll care only about the darkness and you'll watch it for hours, for days, maybe even for years, trying in vain to believe you're some kind of indispensable, universe-appointed sentinel, as if just by looking you could actually keep it all at bay. It will get so bad you'll be afraid to look away, you'll be afraid to sleep.

Then no matter where you are, in a crowded restaurant or on some desolate street or even in the comforts of your own home, you'll watch yourself dismantle every assurance you ever lived by. You'll stand aside as a great complexity intrudes, tearing apart, piece by piece, all of your carefully conceived denials, whether deliberate or unconscious. And then for better or worse you'll turn, unable to resist, though try to resist you still will, fighting with everything you've got not to face the thing you most dread, what is now, what will be, what has always come before, the creature you truly are, the creature we all are, buried in the nameless black of a name.

And then the nightmares will begin.”

― Mark Z. Danielewski, House of Leaves
HES wrote:That's not how these things work; Beardo will know, but before telling them he will send them on a quest for the magical sand timer of the molpy people. He'll give them a stick with +1 Thwapping and [...] once Time ends, it will restart on a higher difficulty setting.

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:19 pm UTC

I have seen the future on Aubronwood and it is beautiful. Or at least, the stars are. Maybe not Megan's wound so much. I hate the sight of blood. But at least I never faint for it.
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

Someguy945

Postby Someguy945 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:22 pm UTC

My attempt at a gif

ggh

Postby ggh » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:24 pm UTC

patzer wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:I edited a couple pages on the wiki, in case anyone's interested to know. Tarot cards and newpixbot. Tarot cards is wanting of some actual tarot cards as of now ;)

ggh had added some tarot cards to the wiki, then removed them without explanation. I readded them. There's still a lot of work to be done, however.

Just getting back now, but I was working on a page similar to the buffy hat page with pics, dates, notes, etc. It wasn't ready to be live, but I didn't see any sort of sandbox area to work in, so I just copied the whole thing to a text editor and deleted it 'til I have time to work on it again. I can't see what on there now because I'm at a browser that can't handle it, but I'm sure it's great, and I'll just leave it in your capable hands. :)
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:25 pm UTC

NoMouse wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:
Spoiler:
NoMouse wrote:
cellocgw wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:
cellocgw wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:Cueball and Megan are in a parallel universe in which 9/11 never happened (but maybe an 11/9mir) and Baobabs are growing everywhere in year 13000+

You mean like in Mirage?

You seem not to be a footnote person, don't you. :D
(I'm still voting in favour of S.G.&E. - as you might suspect already since a great deal of newpages)

ooops, apologies. I for some inexplicable reason (ok, actually the reason is that I think in strange paths) saw your footnote tag as something to do with a Soviet orbiting space station.

I read it as "mirror" or "mirrored", which made complete sense to me since the date was indeed mirrored. :D
This is, in fact, a problem some European readers have with the book in question. It is not world wide established standard procedure to write dates "<month>/<day>" (however "Nine Eleven" became a catch phrase. I guess you can do a survey at your local train station asking "When in 2001 happened the incident commonly refered to as 'nine eleven'?" and get 50% wrong answers [with 100% knowing what the incident was about {at least on the matters of what could be observed, root cause analysis may prove to be difficult}]). It is very easy to mix 9/11 and 11/9 in this book. At least, for an European.
I know, I'm a European too and I hate mm/dd or even mm/dd/yyyy date format1. But I have to tolerate it when I'm on English-speaking websites like this. :)
So, the problem with the survey at my local train station would be that it is not commonly referred to as "nine eleven" here, but rather "11. září" meaning "11th September". :wink:

1Edit: I'm fine with the ISO (yyyy-mm-dd) format. It's useful for sorting things.

I agree, it doesn't make any sense to me to sort values by anything other than least -> most significant, or preferably most -> least significant.

To me, writing a date as mm/dd/yyyy is as silliy as writing the number one-hundred and twenty as 201.

ISO ftw.
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

This is Major Thong to Time Control

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:27 pm UTC

Blindpost from NP952.
speising wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
edo wrote:
Kieryn wrote:Image

It's on the ecliptic, it's probably the second planet we've been waiting for!

11/7/2013 shows no other planets in the vicinity. It would have to be some other year -- who knows when and where... I'm not going to look for that unlikely conjunction.

are we suggesting july now?

It's like people here don't read xkcd.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:30 pm UTC

Wildhound wrote:<snip>
I agree, it doesn't make any sense to me to sort values by anything other than least -> most significant, or preferably most -> least significant.
To me, writing a date as mm/dd/yyyy is as silliy as writing the number one-hundred and twenty as 201.
ISO ftw.

The date order is just like the Lego(s) thing. It doesn't matter what is right/wrong or correct. What you were raised with just sounds good in your head and there isn't anything that logic can do to change that.
Voice of the Silent
Owner of the contents of Cueball's head
Lurking Time-Ninja of the Past-Post

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:32 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:Blindpost from NP952.
Spoiler:
speising wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
edo wrote:

11/7/2013 shows no other planets in the vicinity. It would have to be some other year -- who knows when and where... I'm not going to look for that unlikely conjunction.

That was a blindpost? It was perfectly in line with the rest of the conversation!
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:39 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:
Spoiler:
speising wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
edo wrote:

That was a blindpost? It was perfectly in line with the rest of the conversation!

That probably just means that we never let anything go around here.
Voice of the Silent

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:42 pm UTC

TimeLurker wrote:
taixzo wrote:
Spoiler:
speising wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
edo wrote:

That probably just means that we never let anything go around here.

The thread is a bit loopy at times, yes.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:43 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Swein wrote:
Spoiler:

Is it just me, or do the stars follow another path than the sun when reaching the horizon?

Just you.
Approximate path of sun (yellow) and venus (red):
Spoiler:

Did you just call Venus a star?

jjjdavidson wrote:
BlueCrab wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:
BlueCrab wrote:I'm going to be intermittent for the rest of the wip because instead of taking care of Little Bear (1.5 years old) I'm going to be taking care of the Bunny, who is just over 2...

Is that the Bunny of Caerbannog?

Nooooo, I stay far away from that particular Bunny!
The animal nicknames just kind of happened: The Bunny was her name from the time she was born, and five weeks later along came the Little Lion. Little Bear was only a bit more than a glimmer then, but as the doctors were worried about him they did bi-weekly scans, and we got to see his little face develop. Little Bear is just what he looked like. The Butterfly (also SnickerDoodle) is the youngest's personality (she's sweet and bright, not flighty :wink:) Her first birthday is this weekend. I... I think I'm going to go feel old for a few minutes...

Added emphasis mine─BlueCrab, clearly I've missed something here. :shock: On the other hand:
cellocgw wrote:
thirds wrote:
jovialbard wrote:Interesting how Nov 7 is over a month shy of 9 months from the start of the comic :wink: :wink:

wow, good catch.

Well, except that 9 months is not the average, or median, time for human gestation. Can't speak for stick people, tho'.

Just how far does your family skew the average? :?

You're missing a generation, those are her grandkids. I'm not there yet, and it's been years since anyone has called my first Bunny Bear, but she was that for a long time. Squid is still Squid. She generally gives people one chance to pronounce her name right, and then says, "Just call me Squid." Squid came from temperment, and colic. For three months she was not put down, basically ever. The PC version of the story is, "you were good at hugging, and Octopus was hard to say." Somewhere along the line she heard the whole story, but by then she was firmly Squid. Dammit, now I'm missing her, and she's gone for the rest of the summer, and I'll barely get to see her before college starts again.
TimeLurker wrote:
ISO ftw.

The date order is just like the Lego(s) thing. It doesn't matter what is right/wrong or correct. What you were raised with just sounds good in your head and there isn't anything that logic can do to change that.

No, the dates thing I can see how illogical it is, but generally need to communicate with others that use that method. Writing them down, I typically do something like 28 Jun 2013, so I can have logic and clarity (but not conciseness.)
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:44 pm UTC

Another zoomed-in animation of Cueball keeping watch. (Gamma-correction: 2.)
Spoiler:
It's now about 30 frames, probably 2½ hoursInside, after sunset.
(Still no molpies detected, by the way.)
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Marsh'n

Re: Now it's time to leave the capsule, if you dare

Postby Marsh'n » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:47 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:BTW, how is the weather there on Mars?

FTFY. Umm, appears to be cloudy with a chance of zombies lately.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:48 pm UTC

Zombies are fine as long as you have your thwapping stick: Image

MajorDouble7 wrote:“This much I'm certain of: it doesn't happen immediately. You'll finish [the book] and that will be that, until a moment will come, maybe in a month, maybe a year, maybe even several years. You'll be sick or feeling troubled or deeply in love or quietly uncertain or even content for the first time in your life. It won't matter.
Spoiler:
Out of the blue, beyond any cause you can trace, you'll suddenly realize things are not how you perceived them to be at all. For some reason, you will no longer be the person you believed you once were. You'll detect slow and subtle shifts going on all around you, more importantly shifts in you. Worse, you'll realize it's always been shifting, like a shimmer of sorts, a vast shimmer, only dark like a room. But you won't understand why or how. You'll have forgotten what granted you this awareness in the first place...

You might try then, as I did, to find a sky so full of stars it will blind you again. Only no sky can blind you now. Even with all that iridescent magic up there, your eye will no longer linger on the light, it will no longer trace constellations. You'll care only about the darkness and you'll watch it for hours, for days, maybe even for years, trying in vain to believe you're some kind of indispensable, universe-appointed sentinel, as if just by looking you could actually keep it all at bay. It will get so bad you'll be afraid to look away, you'll be afraid to sleep.

Then no matter where you are, in a crowded restaurant or on some desolate street or even in the comforts of your own home, you'll watch yourself dismantle every assurance you ever lived by. You'll stand aside as a great complexity intrudes, tearing apart, piece by piece, all of your carefully conceived denials, whether deliberate or unconscious. And then for better or worse you'll turn, unable to resist, though try to resist you still will, fighting with everything you've got not to face the thing you most dread, what is now, what will be, what has always come before, the creature you truly are, the creature we all are, buried in the nameless black of a name.

And then the nightmares will begin.”

― Mark Z. Danielewski, House of Leaves

I think I reached that point only 126 newpages in...
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:Quest progress: 126 out of 243 pages.
Operation Connect Castle. NP 201.

I have lost track of the newpix I have spent traversing the thread of Time. Newpages flow into newpages, an endless pouring of semen-laced coffee into a glass that will not fill. I exist in a world of perpetual deja vu, for I have seen the present while the posts I read codify a long-ago past. I know Megan will return, in Time. With a trebuchet. Yet the posts I read have not witnessed that epoch, and whisper only of trebuchets in their dreams. Beyond this only lies madness. Perhaps I am already mad.

Either way, it is now time for me to conclude this message-in-a-bottle and proceed deeper into this hopelessly tangled thread.

But why do I suddenly crave pancakes?
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:49 pm UTC

SBN wrote:<snip>
TimeLurker wrote:
ISO ftw.

No, the dates thing I can see how illogical it is, but generally need to communicate with others that use that method. Writing them down, I typically do something like 28 Jun 2013, so I can have logic and clarity (but not conciseness.)

I am an American who will always do MM/DD/YYYY. I know that it is wrong, confusing, ruins sorts, and doesn't make sense. However, it is what I was raised with and I doubt I will ever be able to change.

It has a better chance than the metric system though. :wink:
Voice of the Silent

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:50 pm UTC

- Blind Post - Spoilered by subject to keep style interesting or something...

Kieryn
Spoiler:
Oh me yarm! It was so scary to see that he said he wasn't going to post again unless Charlie posted again :shock: - People leaving because other people leaving is the saddest thing and almost made me want to leave myself!

So, I had to cheat, I looked in to the present ans saw that, phew! Kieryn is still with us!

I also demi-spoiled myself with the current frame, at least the top of it, which is pitch black! Maybe, another fading is going on? This time to black?

And, maybe, that's what Charlie's avatar is referencing and he is back with us!? Oh well, I don't think I'll know until 6 days from now at this rate...

3D
Spoiler:
I have this problem in my eyes that doesn't allow me to perceive 3D in real life. I see, basically, how things look in TV, I deduce distance by object size, so, I carry on fine.

What is the weird thing, though? That I can see those 3D effects in Stereograms and 3D Movies just fine! So seeing these, I see things really popping up from the screen, more so than things that are really in front of the screen!

The fake 3D looks more real than the real 3D. It's also kind of sad to see other people look like that the whole time, though, I probably have to say 3D is overrated since seeing "in 2D" (like in TV) has never been a problem.

Also, I found the lack of alarm for my Lucky's attack on Cuegan's backpack disturbing. I felt attachment to the backpack and know that it will never be the same again. Maybe *GASP* Cuegan will decide to replace the backpack with a new one!! Cuegan basically used the poor backpack as a human shield and yall were like "it hit the backpack" and no more mention of the poor thing :(

I'm now calling dibs on Cuegan and Megball's backpacks, I'd be worried if they were on the hands of people that don't care about the backpacks' feelings.
Last edited by Vytron on Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:51 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

THANKS KARHELL!! :)

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:51 pm UTC

Being a brit immersed in the US culture I've become hit by just about all date formats and I tend to find myself writing mm/dd/yyyy, yyyy-mm-dd, dd/mm/yyyy and others randomly.
As a programmer I've come to expect that dates will appear in data in arbitrary formats, so if it's not known I generally apply context detection when I parse them. That means dates usually end up with probabilities attached to them.

ETA: Ni ni ni ni ni chupacabra ping pong ball!
Seemed appropriate.
Last edited by Kieryn on Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:55 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Image- Kieryn

thirds

Postby thirds » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:52 pm UTC

Some relevant data on Venus.

Here's is the most interesting one though, that clearly demonstrates that this cannot be 2013, unfortunately. This is for a location in the Western Hemisphere at 33N (roughly Charlotte, NC), November 7, 2013, just before sundown to show the position of the sun, venus and constellations. Venus is in the right spot, but the sun is not. As stated, it should be north of Venus on this date.

evening apparition table. Basically, this is saying that around November 7, 2013 at 30N, Venus will be visible in thw SW sky at a maximum altitude of 21 degrees and will be visible for about 2H45M.

This is the path through the sky in 2013 at 0 UTC:

AluisioASG

I'm swimming through a sea

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:00 pm UTC

Blindpost from NP956.
jjjdavidson wrote:Completely off the current topic: Fellow Waiters, I'm still hoping for responses to my survey. I'm looking for your opinions about which frames of Time were the most significant. Not your favorite frames, but the ones that you think had the biggest impact when they first appeared. Please read details at the link above if you're interested.

Well, in reversed chronological order:
  1. The catmolpyraptor attack (2226)
  2. The first appearance of LaPetite (799)
  3. The trebuchet attack (212)
Selecting new quote…

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:00 pm UTC

CORONAAUSTRALISONG

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:01 pm UTC

Oh, I see we're having the date-debate again. What next, Legoses?

The stars are pretty and all, but I hope the sun rises soon. I preferred it when Cuegan's comas lasted just a few newpix, not 34+.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

thirds

Postby thirds » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:02 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Oh, I see we're having the date-debate again. What next, Legoses?

Ok. Sorry.

lgw

Postby lgw » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:03 pm UTC

Glad to see the idea that the OTC is set in the far future has begun to be taken seriously. I'm certain of it just from a storytelling point of view - this is clearly a post-culture-wipe story, starting over on a (both literal and metaphorical) journey of discovery.

If we abandon any pre-conception about the date, what boundaries can be put on It from the starfield? It can't be too far in the future, or we wouldn't have recognized constellations so easily. Was the missing Antares ever explained?
"In no set of physics laws do you get two cats." - doogly

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:07 pm UTC

It could, of course, simply be the case that [heresy]Randall made a mistake[/heresy]. (Ducks for cover from flying M&M's.)
He obviously spent a lot of time and effort on the animation of the stars, but perhaps He did the sunset separately, and didn't quite match them up correctly? (Venus, if that's what it is, didn't appear until the sun was completely behind the horizon.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:09 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:It's almost as if the earth's axis had shifted to tilt the north pole closer to Sagittarius.
That's now two different lines of evidence for ~13k years from now (yfn):
Spoiler:
- Individual displacements of star positions. This includes missing Antares, which could be another shift to out of view, or a past supernova event. (Action item: check that the stars that have not moved would not be expected to in that time frame.)
- Stellar geometry; matching up the latitude and direction of view with the constellations visible might require an axis shift. (Action items: measure visible star movements from the Time frames; set up the scenario in Stellarium if possible.)

This talk of multi-millennial axial precession reminds me again of The Clock of the Long Now. That would be as neat and wow a thing as an astronomical observatory for Megan and Cueball to find atop the mountain. The current active and planned clock locations for the Long Now project are both in North American desert regions that could (thousands of yfn) match the ecology seen. Both locations are also many hundreds of miles inland. But, sea levels can change too...

Just going on record to say that this theory/idea has captivated me and I now have no other hopes than for this to be the truth. :wink:

mscha wrote:Another zoomed-in animation of Cueball keeping watch. (Gamma-correction: 2.)
Spoiler:
It's now about 30 frames, probably 2½ hoursInside, after sunset.
(Still no molpies detected, by the way.)

:shock: What on earth is Cueball doing there at the end? :shock:

BlitzGirl wrote:The stars are pretty and all, but I hope the sun rises soon. I preferred it when Cuegan's comas lasted just a few newpix, not 34+.

And Cueball still has to sleep while Megan sits watch...
Last edited by Valarya on Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:10 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:09 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Oh, I see we're having the date-debate again. What next, Legoses?

The stars are pretty and all, but I hope the sun rises soon. I preferred it when Cuegan's comas lasted just a few newpix, not 34+.

Are legoses what it's got in its pocketses?

As Cueball isn't comaing (as of now anyway), we don't get to fast forward. Since sunset was about 3 hrs ago (in-comic time), we probably still have 7-12 hrs * 12 np/hr = 84-144 np of night left. Tedious perhaps, but not as much as trudging across several flat scenes with only the ocassional molpy to relieve the monotony.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

Marsh'n

Postby Marsh'n » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:14 pm UTC

Eutychus wrote:Finally, to add to the music collection, can I suggest What a wonderful world? Or possibly Israel Kamakawiwoʻole's mashup of it with Somewhere over the rainbow?

Well, Eutychus, I hope this meets your expectations. My first commissioned OTTificaparotimeodyfilk. Original song link is above in quote. Spoilered because this is really really 1. Semi-canonical footnotes. I'd consider recording it but (a) I don't know where to get the music by itself (b) I would sound awful a capella and (c) Yappo is obviously the acclaimed songmaster here. Hint hint...

"Wowtreeful World"
Spoiler:
.... Oooo, oooo, oooo, oooo

Somewhere up on the mountain
Where they climb
Are the newpix you lONGed for
Once in the Thread of Time ...Time Oh

Somewhere nearer the big sea
Flutterbees fly
And the newpix you lONGed for
Nights really do come too ooo oooo

Tonix predix upon a star, keep
Hoping leopardmolp are far behind xe
Where rivers run and wowfall drops
High above the castle tops
That's where you'll find xe oh

Out there, just past the grapevines
Squirpy! "Hi!"
And the newpix you care for,
Oh why, oh why can't I?0 iiii

Well we see trees of wow7 and
Priklemolpies11 too
We watch and wait for Meg and for Cue
And we think to ourselves
What a Wowtreeful world

Well we see seas1 of black
And we see stars of white
And the brightness of day
We like the night
What a Wowtreeful world

The stars of the galaxy
So pretty in the sky
And all of the avatars of people Waiting by
See friends making hats saying
"How do you do?"
They're really sayin', "We, we love all you!"

We hear chickmolpy cry
And we watch it fed
There's so much more in GLRandall's head
What a Wowtreeful world

Oh, Stellarium upon the stars
Predicting where the Megball are, reminds me
Where flaming melts with "Molpy ups!"
And semencoffeesea in cups2
That's where you'll find me

Oh, somewhere up on the mountain
Way up high
And the Time that we Wait for
Why oh why can't I... iii

Ooooo,oooo,ooooo,ooooo,oooo,oooo......

0: Wait For It
1: big, rising
2: small, I hope
7: wow
11: a little prickly, really neat
GL: Good Lord!

Edit to reposition end-spoiler.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:16 pm UTC

Blindposting from p946. VERY disappointed to have fallen behind when we have potentially the most concrete, scientific data to date regarding location (i.e. stars)! What I really need to do is [heresy]skip[/heresy], but I really really don't want to miss discussions around constellations etc!! I'll have to do some sort of [more heresy]skip-hop-skim[/more heresy] or something! Poopy!

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:17 pm UTC

thirds wrote:Some relevant data on Venus.
Spoiler:
Here's is the most interesting one though, that clearly demonstrates that this cannot be 2013, unfortunately. This is for a location in the Western Hemisphere at 33N (roughly Charlotte, NC), November 7, 2013, just before sundown to show the position of the sun, venus and constellations. Venus is in the right spot, but the sun is not. As stated, it should be north of Venus on this date.

evening apparition table. Basically, this is saying that around November 7, 2013 at 30N, Venus will be visible in thw SW sky at a maximum altitude of 21 degrees and will be visible for about 2H45M.

This is the path through the sky in 2013 at 0 UTC:

If they are facing roughly west then north would be to the right. When the sun was setting Venus was coming into view slightly to the left, which would be south. Therefore, venus would be almost exactly where that map says...
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

TheMinim

Re: 1190: "Things that be on my side for 600, Alex!"

Postby TheMinim » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:19 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
Helper wrote:
Zamfir wrote:I deny any insanity.

The average Bastet be 4 to 5kg.

Launching cats, brb.

WATCH THE CLAWS! .... I wonder if he heard me...

This Papal post on page 155 tells me: it's ALL related!
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:22 pm UTC

Marsh'n wrote:
Eutychus wrote:Finally, to add to the music collection, can I suggest What a wonderful world? Or possibly Israel Kamakawiwoʻole's mashup of it with Somewhere over the rainbow?

Well, Eutychus, I hope this meets your expectations. My first commissioned OTTificaparotimeodyfilk. Original song link is above in quote. Spoilered because this is really really 1. Semi-canonical footnotes. I'd consider recording it but (a) I don't know where to get the music by itself (b) I would sound awful a capella and (c) Yappo is obviously the acclaimed songmaster here. Hint hint...

"Wowtreeful World"
Spoiler:
.... Oooo, oooo, oooo, oooo

Somewhere up on the mountain
Where they climb
Are the newpix you lONGed for
Once in the Thread of Time ...Time Oh

Somewhere nearer the big sea
Flutterbees fly
And the newpix you lONGed for
Nights really do come too ooo oooo

Tonix predix upon a star, keep
Hoping leopardmolp are far behind xe
Where rivers run and wowfall drops
High above the castle tops
That's where you'll find xe oh

Out there, just past the grapevines
Squirpy! "Hi!"
And the newpix you care for,
Oh why, oh why can't I?0 iiii

Well we see trees of wow7 and
Priklemolpies11 too
We watch and wait for Meg and for Cue
What a Wowtreeful world

Well we see seas1 of black
And we see stars of white
And the brightness of day
We like the night
What a Wowtreeful world

The stars of the galaxy
So pretty in the sky
And all of the avatars of people Waiting by
See friends making hats saying
"How do you do?"
They're really sayin', "We, we love all you!"

We hear chickmolpy cry
And we watch it fed
There's so much more in GLRandall's head
What a Wowtreeful world

Oh, Stellarium upon the stars
Predicting where the Megball are, reminds me
Where flaming melts with "Molpy ups!"
And semencoffeesea in cups2
That's where you'll find me

Oh, somewhere up on the mountain
Way up high
And the Time that we Wait for
Why oh why can't I... iii

Ooooo,oooo,ooooo,ooooo,oooo,oooo......

0: Wait For It
1: big, rising
2: small, I hope
7: wow
11: a little prickly, really neat
GL: Good Lord!

Edit to reposition end-spoiler.

Cool! I was singing that to myself a week or two ago and thought of filking it, but then just forgot about it. Glad someone else thought to do it! :)
Image- Kieryn

Montov

Postby Montov » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:24 pm UTC

thirds wrote:

Ok. Sorry.

I think BlitzGirl is talking about the date formatting.

For the date of the comic, 14000 years in to the future seems .. weird. Why 14000 years? I'm not dismissing the idea, but it seems way more likely the scenes are used to illustrate or help guessing the location (just as the flora and fauna).

And can somebody explain why November 7 is the date why this should be happening? Wasn't that date a first guess when talking about an upcoming moon?

AluisioASG

And I'm floating in a most peculiar way

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:24 pm UTC

Ximenez wrote:ETA: Thinking of this, what about a David Bowie's "Space OTTity"?

Mm.

...And I'm back into the present, today!
Selecting new quote…

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”