1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

k.bookbinder

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:21 am UTC

I can now coma well. Good nix! Keep the faith and wait for it.

Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:26 am UTC

I don't understand what the distinction between The What? Period and The Dark Period. I suggest that maybe they should be merged.

EDIT: Fixed the second link
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:34 am UTC

I agree - that split was due more to what was going on in the OTT than what was going on in the OTC.

Also, frame 2441 does not seem to be included in any period at all.

ETA:
Spoiler:
Accidental mome this Time. No decree.
If you want something to occupy your Wait, why not speculate on potential OTC Other People
and what sort of hattage they might be sporting when Cuegan meets them?
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:38 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

We should just make her perpetual Mome forever.

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:37 am UTC

BlitzGirl, you did it again!
[edit] and wow it took a while but eventually it was undone :P
Last edited by Eternal Density on Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:12 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

HES

Deserved violence

Postby HES » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:38 am UTC

Blindposting: 10np behind (happy 1000!) and I swear, if cueball is still asleep I'm taking a sledgehammer to the fourth wall and beating him with his own sticks

See you when I ketchup!
He/Him/His Image

BlitzGirl

Re: We should just make her perpetual Mome forever.

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:39 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:BlitzGirl, you did it again!

Not on purpose! I'm too coma-deprived to have done it on purpose this Time!

My guess for Other People headgear right now is ski caps. 'Cause it's a mountain.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:53 am UTC

I'm going to bring this forward from NP884 because I can. (And I'm lazy)

pelrigg wrote:Aaannnddd more currently: If/when Cuegan meet the "Campfire/Shed Folk" maybe they'll be wearing Sashes.
other folk 1 wrote:The sash.

Cueball wrote:The sash?

other folk 1 wrote:It indicates other-tribe-hood.

Cueball wrote:And it's doing a great job.

{Meanwhile Megan's interrogating a berry bush. (And about to be "politely" insulted.)}

And it fits here too 8-) :P
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:00 am UTC

Refreshed & climgONG
The kids are back in action, Yeah!
Well, maybe not a flying start. Megan's leg and all.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

patzer

Postby patzer » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:03 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Also, frame 2441 does not seem to be included in any period at all.

This is due to the confusion over the numbering of the meteor frames (http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/Frame_numbering)
As the wiki has built-in linking to geekwagon (frame numbers in the wiki link to that frame on geekwagon), it has to use geekwagon's numbers. As geekwagon doesn't have the first 4 meteor frames, I numbered the meteor frames 2440a-2440e and uploaded them to the wiki. After that we need to use geekwagon's numbers. Therefore there is no frame 2441. If you have a better numbering suggestion please let me know!
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:08 am UTC

Ah, okay. I've just been going with mscha's numbering system at http://xkcd.mscha.org/ where 2441 is the frame immediately following the meteor.

Perhaps the Other People have pope hats, too.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:17 am UTC

I'm off to coma now.
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

adnapemit

Postby adnapemit » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:23 am UTC

Since there are now more than 1000 new pages I though it was about time I said finally joined in the conversation. I have been lurking since the beginning of time have spent a lot of time reading the OTT with all its amazingness. I am also amaze at the amount of "Time" there is 2500+ frames, 1000 page thread and many, many new words created.

But just thinking about how much time GLR has spent ....
If each frame took 2 minutes to create(this is a very optimistic number) and collected this time together it would be 3.5 continuous days.
If each frame took 5 minutes( still a bit optimistic but a bit more plausible ) then it becomes 17.7 continuous days.

With all the attention to detail and the time spent fixing mustard it would likely soooo much more.
THATS a lot of "Time".
Spoiler:
Did anyone notice the Javascript? :wink:

yappobiscuits

Arise, Xavtugs of Tencrivar!

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:27 am UTC

My dearest OTTers - I will be away this wipend on a trip to London. Among other things, I'm going to see Les Misérables (and will be singing along with all the ottified versions of course ;) ) and will be without internets till I return. I'm glad I didn't miss the millennial party as I thought I might. Anyway, until I return with a probably sea-ish pile of ketchup, fare thee well!
Spoiler:
BlitzgirlMolpyUp.png
BlitzgirlMolpyUp.png (8.16 KiB) Viewed 15478 times
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:28 am UTC

I've just realized something a bit funny - BlitzGirl may be perpetual Mome, but if one post before, say, page 950 gets deleted, she becomes perpetual Goat!

ETA: See ya later yappo! We'll be back here, boom de yada'ing and molpymolpymolpying!

*Kat*

Postby *Kat* » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:32 am UTC

Quick question: What do y'all mean when you say ONG?

HES

Re: I love the whole thread.

Postby HES » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:43 am UTC

So much brilliance!
yappobiscuits wrote:Present present time! :mrgreen: Extended version including the second comic as well as the first.

mp3 download also available.

Words cannot express this. Hopefully a youtube like can...

BlitzGirl wrote:
1000 Newpages!

Here's a Present Present for all you OTTers out there!

Spoiler:

Called it! Even if her mopeyness did cheat. And what a marvellous celebration! Thank you!

EDIT to spoiler (and to fix):
@pelrigg&yappo: Brilliant!
New ONG
@CasCat: Fireworks
@Whizbang: evil spoilers
@me: blindpost
@*Kat*: ONG
Spoiler:
pelrigg wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:And pelrigg - is that a British thing? I never knew, I use it all the time and presumed those across the pond did too :P (it's probably my main go-to word for that meaning, rather than "awesome" or "cool" etc)

I thought it was mostly British. The only place I know I've heard it is in "Harry Potter". ( :oops: )

I usually use it sarcstically

pelrigg wrote:NO tree Ong

HURRAH! :mrgreen:

CasCat wrote:Oh, and fireworks for CasCat:

Aren't fireworks hazardous for a flying cat?

edo wrote:
Whizbang wrote:
redundant spoiler
[shudders]
That'll teach you to be careful about looking at redundant spoilers...

AHHHHH *Screaming uncontrollably* AHHHHHHHHHHHH

Not cool.

HES wrote:Blindposting: 10np behind (happy 1000!) and I swear, if cueball is still asleep I'm taking a sledgehammer to the fourth wall and beating him with his own sticks

See you when I ketchup!

Thankfully he woke up just 4 posts later :lol:

*Kat* wrote:Quick question: What do y'all mean when you say ONG?

There was/is an app which reminds users of the imminent newpix by making a sound similar to a Bong or a Dong or a Gong, shortened to (B/D/G)ONG or just ONG
Last edited by HES on Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:49 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.
He/Him/His Image

Eternal Density

Headgear!

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:45 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:BlitzGirl, you did it again!

Not on purpose! I'm too coma-deprived to have done it on purpose this Time!

My guess for Other People headgear right now is ski caps. 'Cause it's a mountain.
Funny you should mention that, because (it being winter Down Under) I just put in a thinkgeek order for an Aperture Laboratories thermal neck wrap (to replace my 'crime scene to not cross' scarf which is getting a little old) and a... cunning hat.
Spoiler:
"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything."
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:54 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Present present time! :mrgreen: Extended version including the second comic as well as the first.

Brilliant. So many NP went by (including the NP1k bug and 1001) while I was a-coma that I was sorely tempted to skim vastly. Now very glad I didn't!
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

HES

Postby HES » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:00 am UTC

Just a fleeting thONG

Marginally unrelated, but due to awesome presents: Even though I'm not doing it deliberately, I feel like such a stalker when I find out things about OTTers through their youtube/steam/blog/website. Especially names and voices. It's also weird seeing the same usernames and avatars elsewhere on the internet... like being caught cheating.
He/Him/His Image

mikro2nd

Re: Beacon Alpha for Time Travelers

Postby mikro2nd » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:01 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:[center]ATTENTION TIME TRAVELERS (BLITZERS, KETCHUPERS, MAYOS ET AL.)
Dinner and breakfast include food from all cultures, and you can eat as much as you want to.

Waitron mikro2nd reporting in, xir. And thanks for the Tacos and Westmalle Trippel. Delicious, and a perfect combination!
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:04 am UTC

HES wrote:Just a fleeting thONG

Marginally unrelated, but due to awesome presents: Even though I'm not doing it deliberately, I feel like such a stalker when I find out things about OTTers through their youtube/steam/blog/website. Especially names and voices. It's also weird seeing the same usernames and avatars elsewhere on the internet... like being caught cheating.

Heh. Yeah. I was almost a little embarrassed when BlitzGirl linked her youtube video with her real name on it...like I had found out something I shouldn't.

In fact, if one were to follow a well established chain of accounts, you could somewhat easily find out things about me...not as many as others, potentially, because I've been very adamant about not getting a facebook or (intentionally) getting a google+ (google seems to have other ideas about that, though).

But the thing is? I wouldn't really even mind. Yeah, it'd be a bit creepy, but I put those things there and I know they are there. So I'm okay with it.

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:09 am UTC

*Kat* wrote:Quick question: What do y'all mean when you say ONG?

It used to be just DONG/GONG/BONG, the sound of some sort of large bell to indicate a new Frame has arrived. Later, people started to use other words with ONG in it, and after that other words were ONGified.

DrSamCarter

Postby DrSamCarter » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:19 am UTC

BytEfLUSh wrote:I gotta go meta on this thread... It may be heretical at some points and I hope GLR forgives me.

[outside heresy]
Has anyone noticed the correlation of various Internet memes with this thread? Internet memes are formed with millions of people spreading the jargon, catch-phrases, video and audio clips. Some message boards also have their own jargon and "memes", but they usually count tens of thousands of members and years of development. However, here, there are only cca 1200 people that have posted in OTT and the vast majority of them aren't around anymore. I am not even a regular, yet I understand all the "funny" words and I'd be surprised if someone didn't. Heck, even members reading this thread without a single post have become famous (Mrs. MobTeeseGoose, I hope you read this.) This may be the most homogenous group on the Internet... Ask someone about molpies, GLR, OTC, OTT, Page Pope, Page Goat (excuse me if those existed before - I never saw them), LaPetite, Cuegan, Megball, "molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy grapevine grapevine" and all of the other words and phrases I can't remember right now - the ones where spellcheck puts a squiggly red line underneath. I wasn't around before the "Eternal September", but my best guess is - this is what it looked like.
[/outside heresy]

TLDR: You are all awesome! :D

I understood everything until I got to TLDR.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:25 am UTC

Prediction:
The people om the mountain will see them coming. They will ride out on donkeys to meet them. The last part of their climb before they meet the people on the mountain will lead them over a small path between two cliff faces. There the people on the mountain will dump large rocks on them and kill them. Thus ends Time.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:30 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:Prediction:
The people om the mountain will see them coming. They will ride out on donkeys to meet them. The last part of their climb before they meet the people on the mountain will lead them over a small path between two cliff faces. There the people on the mountain will dump large rocks on them and kill them. Thus ends Time.

And I herewith dub thee Neil The Forever Cheerful.

Ronald

Thus I have spoken.
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:33 am UTC

So...is it still the case that mods can be summoned by name? Like if I wanted to suggest bbcode for an alternative, less buggy spoiler that allows you to give it a title, I could just yell for "davean"? Or maybe that should be handled via PM.

BlitzGirl

Perpetual Goat

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:36 am UTC

Have fun, yappo! We'll miss you, but we'll have your present present to sing along to while you're away! :)
Perhaps the Other People will be wearing bearskins in honor of yappo.

ChronosDragon wrote:
HES wrote:Marginally unrelated, but due to awesome presents: Even though I'm not doing it deliberately, I feel like such a stalker when I find out things about OTTers through their youtube/steam/blog/website. Especially names and voices. It's also weird seeing the same usernames and avatars elsewhere on the internet... like being caught cheating.

Heh. Yeah. I was almost a little embarrassed when BlitzGirl linked her youtube video with her real name on it...like I had found out something I shouldn't.

In fact, if one were to follow a well established chain of accounts, you could somewhat easily find out things about me...not as many as others, potentially, because I've been very adamant about not getting a facebook or (intentionally) getting a google+ (google seems to have other ideas about that, though).

But the thing is? I wouldn't really even mind. Yeah, it'd be a bit creepy, but I put those things there and I know they are there. So I'm okay with it.

I don't especially mind - I'm a writer, occasional freelancer, so I put a lot of work into maintaining my internet presence. Blog, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, the whole shebang. (Though I have been slacking since the move...should get some new blog posts up.) Some memberships on the internet I keep separate from my "identity" accounts, depending on what the forum/website concerns and what sort of people frequent it. But I spend so much time curating my own webbishness that if I link to it, I'm not too worried about what you'll find out. :wink: I did see htom the other day in the comments section of one of my regularly-read blogs, which was strange. Kind of a posting deja vu.

ChronosDragon wrote:I've just realized something a bit funny - BlitzGirl may be perpetual Mome, but if one post before, say, page 950 gets deleted, she becomes perpetual Goat!
<snip>

Spoiler:

Redundant spoiler:
Spoiler:
PerpetualGoation.png

redundant21.png
redundant21.png (155.63 KiB) Viewed 15355 times
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:40 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:39 am UTC

Ooh, missed the party...
Anyways, congrats to Blitzgirl on Millenimome! And thanks everybody for what has quickly become my favourite place on the internet :)
And only 20 to go until a big round number...
Go Minim go!

DrSamCarter

Postby DrSamCarter » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:42 am UTC

Arky wrote:
So, it has come to this. They reach the top of the mountain and see other people, or they go home and see what LaPetite has wrought from the majestic ruins of the Great Sandcastles.

Or they reach the top of the mountain, and we zoom out and find that they are standing on top of the fractalian part of the sandcastle. (Would require some explanation as to how that managed to happen, and, of course, the sandcastle didn't have the more leisurely slopes that we have seen on our trek up the mountain, but ... oh, okay, stupid idea!)

Arky

Re: Deserved violence

Postby Arky » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:46 am UTC

HES wrote:Blindposting: 10np behind (happy 1000!) and I swear, if cueball is still asleep I'm taking a sledgehammer to the fourth wall and beating him with his own sticks

See you when I ketchup!

When you ketchup you will discover that when Cueball woke up the GLR trolled us Megan said what we were all thinking.
Veteran of the One True Thread. And now the Too True Thread?

BlitzGirl

FIRSTPOSTS

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:47 am UTC

Oh hey, I see that there is some bumpage going on. I now have a buffer between myself and perpetual goatage, which is good.
I was going to congratulate spamjam on getting his ready set go post in the right place, but no, the first newcomer posted immediately after it! :P
Here are the firstposts...

just_some_guy wrote:Just had to come out of the "woodlurk" to be a part of the party. I have been reading since about NP2 and can't believe all the clevering, astonometricizing, songifying, etc., it's been such a pleasure to read. What a great bunch of people! The wait is worth it...

-JSG

Hello, JSG! It's nice to meet you! The Wait is great indeed! :D

acunning40 wrote:
wizpretz wrote:For this page I encourage all of our guests to make an account

Well, I guess I finally will. :)

edo wrote:tell us about your earliest OTC memory

I looked at the comic shortly after it appeared, wasn't sure what to make of it, and checked the thread but didn't see much more info here. (I think there were about 5-10 posts at that point.) A little later I checked before going to bed, and saw some posts saying that the image had changed a bit so then I had an idea of what was happening. I've been following the comic and the thread ever since. :D

Pleasure to meet you, too, acunning40! :D Thanks for stopping by to say hello!

And for hats this post... the Otherpeople will be wearing straw farmers' hats, in honor of the goats.

Edit: Oh, and hello to adnapemit on this page! I noticed your snazzy avatar as I scrolled down (it's easy for me to notice new ones since I just assembled all of the ones I knew).
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:58 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:58 am UTC

Aaaand I'm off to coma. Happy 'murica day, for you 'muricans out there, and for the brits, happy na-na-we're-not-your-colony day!

foilman

Postby foilman » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:01 am UTC

cONGo
A lot has happened since I was last here yesterday! Wow, we've blasted through the 1000th page and beyond.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:02 am UTC

DrSamCarter wrote:Or they reach the top of the mountain, and we zoom out and find that they are standing on top of the fractalian part of the sandcastle. (Would require some explanation as to how that managed to happen, and, of course, the sandcastle didn't have the more leisurely slopes that we have seen on our trek up the mountain, but ... oh, okay, stupid idea!)

I like it. :mrgreen: What is the world if not Randall's Sandcastle?

Here, have a recursive gif:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

Great Scott!

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:10 am UTC

BTW page 1004 is an interesting number because 10:04pm was the time lightning struck the Hill Valley clocktower.

BlitzGirl

This is heavy.

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:13 am UTC

:D What an eventful dip on the OTT! Time for me to molpy down.

Coma coma coma coma coma chameleon...
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:29 am UTC

Ketchup Time

mikro2nd wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:I claim the role of high Inquisitor.
Anyone who defies me will receive a burned steak!

Is there a vegetarian option?

uuh, yes. I personally like the Vivera grilled sausage. I could blacken one for you if you defy me.
Once they become available will the tank grown steaks (no animals harmed) be suitable?

AluisioASG wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:I claim the role of high Inquisitor.
Anyone who defies me will receive a burned steak!

You're dead. You can't apply for that job.

Fjew, then it's good I didn't apply. I just claimed it. Completely different. Kind of like the difference between an armed robbery and a request for a donation.

ucim wrote:And we welcome our Neil_Boekend overlord!
Jose

That's better!

acunning40 wrote:
wizpretz wrote:For this page I encourage all of our guests to make an account

Well, I guess I finally will. :)
edo wrote:tell us about your earliest OTC memory

I looked at the comic shortly after it appeared, wasn't sure what to make of it, and checked the thread but didn't see much more info here. (I think there were about 5-10 posts at that point.) A little later I checked before going to bed, and saw some posts saying that the image had changed a bit so then I had an idea of what was happening. I've been following the comic and the thread ever since. :D

Bump, because this roaring madness of a forum thread moves to fast for the moderators to approve everything before it slides into history to be forgotten forever. This shall not happen with Acunning40!

Beacon Alpha Reached.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:43 am UTC

Okay... first things first... YAPPO YOUR VIDEO WAS WOWCREDIBLE!
Okay... second things second... I have a new centennial GIFt for you all! Honestly, I wanted to get it done earlier and have my 400th post coincide with page 1000, but alas, it was not to be. Life on the Outside has gotten busy, busy, busy! SOOOO.... Here it is now. I'm not gonna lie... It isn't as cool in my opinion as some of my other ones. I wanted to do some much cooler things with it (I wanted to make little stars with your avatars throughout it, like I did with your names as pizza toppings last time), but time has not been on my side lately. So, please just imagine your avatar sparkling in the sky at some point while watching this. :)
Redundant Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I told you this was redundant! Why did you not believe me? I have no cute cats for you. Instead, now I'm just going to have to call the inquisition to punish you...
400Posts.gif

And now, some WIKI WARRIOR TO THE RESCUE responses...
Thanks for all the positive feedback on my articles, folks! They are fun to write and I hope y'all enjoy reading them, and that they'll be a good reference source for going back to review previous elements when you forget them.

tman2nd wrote:I don't understand what the distinction between The What? Period and The Dark Period. I suggest that maybe they should be merged.

I agree that many of those early periods have odd divisions, often based more on the thread than the comic. I honestly have not touched anything on the wiki from the Sandcastle Eon. I took up the job of writing period entries during the Baobab period because everything was terribly out of date and needed help at the time. My approach has been quite different from what others did before. I have not touched the Sandcastle Eon for two reasons: (reasons now spoilered because seaish. Unlock to keep reading!)
Spoiler:
(1) Keeping up with the Journey Eon keeps me busy enough as it is. (2) I'm hesitant to change what the Old Ones did. Their approach may have been different than mine, but who am I to say it was wrong? A lot of effort was put into those earlier periods on the wiki and I would feel like an intruder to simply obliterate what they did just because for the last 3 eras I've established a whole new methodology. That said, I do think it would be nice to go back and expand some of those articles with a bit more comprehensive summaries and discussion, but if I did so it would be to supplement what is there rather than replace it. Now, I DO intend eventually to work backwards through the early eras of the Journey Eon and write those Period articles my way, since right now they are all just stubs. But, since I'm getting married in 19 days and my work has really picked up a lot lately... well, it may be a while! :P

BlitzGirl wrote:Also, frame 2441 does not seem to be included in any period at all.

It appears from your later post that you figured this out, but I'm glad you brought it up and will explain a bit more, especially for the sake of others. Basically, we have a bit of a crisis with the numbering of frames right now. (Explanation of this crisis has been spoilered because also seaish. Unlock to read about our great dilemma!)
Spoiler:
There have always been 4 main compilations of the frames: mscha, geekwagon, Aubronwood, and explainXKCD. Due to the inclusion of the apocryphal frames, Aubronwood has for a very long time had different frame numbers than the other 3, but they were all always in harmony. However, the meteor came flashing through the sky and brought chaos and disorder in its wake. mscha opted to number the meteor frames as 2440 a-e because of their out-of-place occurrence, while explainXKCD simply continued to number each one individually (2441-2445). Meanwhile, geekwagon actually only caught and currently displays the last of the 5 pics, which it numbers 2441. (Incidentally, Aubron did similarly to explainXKCD, but is still out of sync due to the apocryphal frames). In other words, all 4 sources now have different numbers for frames after 2440.

mscha's numbers have always been considered the most canonical, but the wiki has always linked to geekwagon because it is such a useful system for displaying and linking to individual frames in a fantastic format. That was fine when geekwagon and mscha had the same numbers, but now they don't. We are hoping at some point geekwagon will include the other frames, and perhaps adjust their numbering. Meanwhile, because we are linking still to geekwagon (way too late to reverse course on that fact, nor do we want to anyway), we have to begin Megan's Watch with 2442, but we can't just use the one frame they've preserved to represent the meteor period, so we've retained mscha's 2440 a-e for referring to the meteor frames for the time being. The result is an apparently missing 2441. The hope is that this is eventually resolved in a nicer way!

Edited to spoiler large text blocks.
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:49 am UTC

Blind post...

mp3 download also available.

OMR, ⁷, that's so ³! Thank you so much for this present present¹!
(And thanks again to BlitzGirl, of course, for the lyrics and pictures.)
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:54 am UTC

Last few replies before I REALLY have to go...
ChronosDragon wrote:
HES wrote:Marginally unrelated, but due to awesome presents: Even though I'm not doing it deliberately, I feel like such a stalker when I find out things about OTTers through their youtube/steam/blog/website. Especially names and voices. It's also weird seeing the same usernames and avatars elsewhere on the internet... like being caught cheating.

I know what you guys are saying, but I don't really mind people knowing my voice and stuff... besides, I keep my facebook private and don't link to it anywhere. I just keep my youtube and twitter and soundcloud public and leave private stuff to facebook. And anyway, as a musician, I want to become more well known and have a public image, so I don't mind people knowing my voice and name for that reason.

BlitzGirl wrote:Have fun, yappo! We'll miss you, but we'll have your present present to sing along to while you're away! :)
Perhaps the Other People will be wearing bearskins in honor of yappo.

I'll miss you all too! But I will be here in the spirit of my present present indeed. Bye everyone! Image
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”