1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Flotter

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Flotter » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:04 pm UTC

Wonder what it's for? We don't even know what it is!
Yet we still
Spoiler:
wait for it.

OMR, PagePope! For the first time (since the invention of the PagePope). My papal decree:
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:08 pm UTC

AluisioASG: passed Beacon Alpha while upketching. (Just following instructions...)
Also:
Not sure why you're complaining about lack of congrats, though... I don't recall seeing you ever doing that... ;) (You sure didn't come to my 1700th party. Not that anyone else did, I had to eat all the cake by myself.)

kenmelken: happy 400th! Lovely GIF⁴!

About newpix numbers...
kenmelken wrote:
Spoiler:
There have always been 4 main compilations of the frames: mscha, geekwagon, Aubronwood, and explainXKCD. Due to the inclusion of the apocryphal frames, Aubronwood has for a very long time had different frame numbers than the other 3, but they were all always in harmony. However, the meteor came flashing through the sky and brought chaos and disorder in its wake. mscha opted to number the meteor frames as 2440 a-e because of their out-of-place occurrence, while explainXKCD simply continued to number each one individually (2441-2445). Meanwhile, geekwagon actually only caught and currently displays the last of the 5 pics, which it numbers 2441. (Incidentally, Aubron did similarly to explainXKCD, but is still out of sync due to the apocryphal frames). In other words, all 4 sources now have different numbers for frames after 2440.

mscha's numbers have always been considered the most canonical, but the wiki has always linked to geekwagon because it is such a useful system for displaying and linking to individual frames in a fantastic format. That was fine when geekwagon and mscha had the same numbers, but now they don't. We are hoping at some point geekwagon will include the other frames, and perhaps adjust their numbering. Meanwhile, because we are linking still to geekwagon (way too late to reverse course on that fact, nor do we want to anyway), we have to begin Megan's Watch with 2442, but we can't just use the one frame they've preserved to represent the meteor period, so we've retained mscha's 2440 a-e for referring to the meteor frames for the time being. The result is an apparently missing 2441. The hope is that this is eventually resolved in a nicer way!

I know we generally disapprove of standardi[sz]ation around here, but newpix numbers is the one area where we should: the amount of confusion by using inconsistent numbering is simply too high.
The meteor caused quite a mess... The current frame number as I post this is 2554 according to my list, 2555 according to Geekwagon, and 2562 according to Aubron.
Not surprisingly, I believe my numbering is the One True one. Aside from the obvious reason (mine!), it is also the easiest to work with, because it's the most regular: the number increased exactly once per (Outside) half hour for the first 240, and every hour after that. That makes it easy to convert newpix to timestamp, and vise versa. (There are various newpix clocks and user scripts that do exactly that.)
And what are you gonna do if Geekwagon finds out about the meteor frames, and either adds the missing four or removes the present one? (Prediction: someone's going to contact him/her/it today about this. :) )
Finally, I think it's the right thing to do. According to the stars, there's about 6½ minutes between frames 2439 and 2440, between 2440 and 2441, etc; while 2440a-2440e took place at the same time as 2440.

Finally, Cuegan is on the move again! :)
I wonder [edit: I'm not alone on that – multininja'd] if they're talking about the Via Ferrata, or if there's something⁴ else that we're not seeing... For what it's worth, no molvement detected.

Edit: change listed frame numbers to correspond to the time of posting instead of (originally) typing.
Last edited by mscha on Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:25 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:17 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Not surprisingly, I believe my numbering is the One True one.

I agree, but of course this would be the case given that you follow time closely and can make adjustments. It appears the Book of Aubron and Geekwagon were set up early and just left to do their thing.

Edit: I believe the Book of Aubron had the meteor frames added manually, but without following the OTT closely he might not have realised the relative timing of the frames.
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:20 pm UTC

mscha wrote:I know we generally disapprove of standardi[sz]ation around here, but newpix numbers is the one area where we should: the amount of confusion by using inconsistent numbering is simply too high.
The meteor caused quite a mess... The current frame number as I type this is 2553 according to my list, 2554 according to Geekwagon, and 2561 according to Aubron.
Not surprisingly, I believe my numbering is the One True one. Aside from the obvious reason (mine!), it is also the easiest to work with, because it's the most regular: the number increased exactly once per (Outside) half hour for the first 240, and every hour after that. That makes it easy to convert newpix to timestamp, and vise versa. (There are various newpix clocks and user scripts that do exactly that.)
And what are you gonna do if Geekwagon finds out about the meteor frames, and either adds the missing four or removes the present one? (Prediction: someone's going to contact him/her/it today about this. :) )
Finally, I think it's the right thing to do. According to the stars, there's about 6½ minutes between frames 2439 and 2440, between 2440 and 2441, etc; while 2440a-2440e took place at the same time as 2440.

Hum, the newpix converter script shows the current np as the 2554th, although it does exactly what you describe: the number increments every half hour for the first 240, then every hour... Where's the off-by-one error?

Edit: oh well, it's 2554 according to your list too now. Nevermind.
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:23 pm UTC

Pikrass wrote:
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:I know we generally disapprove of standardi[sz]ation around here, but newpix numbers is the one area where we should: the amount of confusion by using inconsistent numbering is simply too high.
The meteor caused quite a mess... The current frame number as I type this is 2553 according to my list, 2554 according to Geekwagon, and 2561 according to Aubron.

Hum, the newpix converter script shows the current np as the 2554th, although it does exactly what you describe: the number increments every half hour for the first 240, then every hour... Where's the off-by-one error?

Edit: oh well, it's 2554 according to your list too now. Nevermind.

Yeah, sorry about that... I was typing it before, and posting it after the ONG. (Will fix.)
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:55 pm UTC

Yep so missed the whole 1000 madness... Thank you BlitzGirl for that wonderful tribute to all of us! :)

Anyway, quick prediction: It's either an observatory or the long now clock.

ETA: I'm hoping for the long now clock even though i don't think it will be... it would be too perfect -- time related, designed to last 10,000 years (hello stars)...
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:00 pm UTC

WalkONG:

Probably not a curled up snakemolpy, as suggested in the previous NP.
Last edited by Flotter on Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

foilman

Postby foilman » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:00 pm UTC

ONGly me again.
Spoiler:

Yay! Ninja'd! And that concludes my run of ONGs for the day.

iisjreg

Postby iisjreg » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:04 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:
Wildhound wrote:Blindpost from the previous newpage to let you guys know that if you happen to be equipped with an Android device you can now download the unofficial OTC live wallpaper for the low, low price of molpycake.

At present all it does is fetch the latest newpix and display it on your homescreen. Naturally, you need a data connection to use it. I have a raft of other features planned, time permitting, including the ability to choose your frame and set it to cycle through Time at intervals of your choosing. However I decided to release this quick'n'dirty version as I will be quite busy later this week.

Thanks to mscha for allowing me to update the frame list from the wonderful csv on his site. And thanks to newpixbot (presumably) for putting it there in the first place.

Feature requests and bug reports are not only welcome but encouraged. And there will be bugs because I threw this together very quickly, while I was supposed to be working. Not ones that will harm you or your device though.

cake Seriously I want cake.

This is amazing: especially since the last update. I did have a few issues with version 1 where my desktop would randomly decide to apply a strobe effect, which was epilepsy inducing, but it's not tried to do that since the update.

I still need to check geekwagon intermittently to catch up on frames I missed overnight, but I check my phone often enough that I now never miss a TimeFrame while I'm awake! Cleared myself a couple of rows in the middle of my 'home' Android page, so that I can always see the action. Surprisingly clear, even at that size.

Aww this is good.
The current era eon of treking makes the background really suit my icons and layout! Looking good...

(But trying to explain it to my girlfriend was met with geekapathywhat?)

what? Really not caring about my constant geeking out on a comic (and other things) :D

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:11 pm UTC

Ah, the vagaries of Time and the unfairness of fate. akacat has been thrown forward to the top of NP1000. I suppose Fluffy will have to fly if the code monkey tries any popishness.

I also thought NP1000 flew by in a flash, but we were there for over 40 minutesh.

Anyway Let the record show, BlitzGirl is the One True Pope of NP1000. Thus it is written. Thus it shall be. From now until the end of Time. The Old One has spoken.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:28 pm UTC

Ketchupa:
adnapemit wrote:Since there are now more than 1000 new pages I though it was about time I said finally joined in the conversation. I have been lurking since the beginning of time have spent a lot of time reading the OTT with all its amazingness. I am also amaze at the amount of "Time" there is 2500+ frames, 1000 page thread and many, many new words created.

Welcome to the OTT! Image
adnapemit in the same post wrote:But just thinking about how much time GLR has spent ....
If each frame took 2 minutes to create(this is a very optimistic number) and collected this time together it would be 3.5 continuous days.
If each frame took 5 minutes( still a bit optimistic but a bit more plausible ) then it becomes 17.7 continuous days.

With all the attention to detail and the time spent fixing mustard it would likely soooo much more.
THATS a lot of "Time".
Well, it depends... I think 2 minutes is actually very pessimistic number in case he is just changing the pose of Cuegan but of course when he's drawing new background that would take some time. And as it was noted before, the level of detail constantly rises, so what might take him 1 minute in the beginning can now take 10 or 20 minutes. So it's quite difficult to estimate how much time he's spending on Time. Sometimes there have been tens of newpix using the same background but when Cuegan is walking, it's just 2-3 newpix per one background. This leads me to... has anyone counted how many different scenes there have been?

a I know I was saying "See you soon" in my last post because I'm leaving for a few daysb... yeah, still here but not for a long Time, one newpix max.
b Not that anyone cares :)
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:29 pm UTC

Spoiler:
iisjreg wrote:
mojacardave wrote:
Wildhound wrote:Blindpost from the previous newpage to let you guys know that if you happen to be equipped with an Android device you can now download the unofficial OTC live wallpaper for the low, low price of molpycake.

At present all it does is fetch the latest newpix and display it on your homescreen. Naturally, you need a data connection to use it. I have a raft of other features planned, time permitting, including the ability to choose your frame and set it to cycle through Time at intervals of your choosing. However I decided to release this quick'n'dirty version as I will be quite busy later this week.

Thanks to mscha for allowing me to update the frame list from the wonderful csv on his site. And thanks to newpixbot (presumably) for putting it there in the first place.

Feature requests and bug reports are not only welcome but encouraged. And there will be bugs because I threw this together very quickly, while I was supposed to be working. Not ones that will harm you or your device though.

cake Seriously I want cake.

This is amazing: especially since the last update. I did have a few issues with version 1 where my desktop would randomly decide to apply a strobe effect, which was epilepsy inducing, but it's not tried to do that since the update.

I still need to check geekwagon intermittently to catch up on frames I missed overnight, but I check my phone often enough that I now never miss a TimeFrame while I'm awake! Cleared myself a couple of rows in the middle of my 'home' Android page, so that I can always see the action. Surprisingly clear, even at that size.

Aww this is good.
The current era eon of treking makes the background really suit my icons and layout! Looking good...

It fits nicely between a couple of narrow widgets on an Android phone layout.
Screenshot_2013-07-04-15-18-25.png
Last edited by mojacardave on Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:32 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:29 pm UTC

Flotter wrote:WalkONG:

It's a sandcastle?

Belated Happy New Millennium everyone! Awesome presentpresent, BlitzGirl, I love the way It commemorates many of the people who contribute (and thereby the idea of all of us).

Happy Independence Day those of us living in the US!
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:30 pm UTC

edo wrote:
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:
moody7277 wrote:Here's our hook for them finally meeting LaPetite. She'll take them back to her people, and Megan will get (belated) first aid.

That sounds more like last aid.

As long as it isn't last rites
:shock:

Pope! tell us about your earliest OTC memory
looking at cueball and Megan on the beach. Wait, did she sit up?

BlindPost from NP1002. I missed this Pope Proclamation, but wanted in on it.
Spoiler:
I first saw the comic on dip 1 and an early newpix. Cuegan were still just sitting on the beach. I went to the forum, as I always do when I don't understand XKCD, and there wasn't a lot of discussion yet. I just *shrugged* and moved on with my life. I also have a habit of looking into the forums and seeing what low numbered comics where commented on recently (thinking "Why would someone bring that back up again?"), so I noticed that 1190 was almost always at the top of the list. Finally I said, "Alright let's see what this is." When I pulled up xkcd.com/1190 again I saw Meagan jumping a dune, "Wait, I don't remember that", so I went to the OTT :shock: I had no idea what I was getting into. The outside would never have let me do an actual blitz, so I watched the wiki gif of the entire sandcastle/fade era and skippedH to the journey. I lurked there for awhile before being drawn into our madness.

This has been a great experience and actually the only online forum I've every posted or even really looked at. From others' comments on how this place is so different/better/nicer than the rest of the interwebs, I feel blessed to have stumbled out of the shadows here.

I love y'all! *sniff*
Voice of the Silent
Owner of the contents of Cueball's head
Lurking Time-Ninja of the Past-Post

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:31 pm UTC

Another Rockmolpy?
Spoiler:
molpy.png
molpy.png (4.57 KiB) Viewed 13304 times
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:39 pm UTC

Pile closest to them looks like molpydung to me. I agree that it looks like something sleeping under the rock.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

HES

Postby HES » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:42 pm UTC

mikro2nd wrote:Another Rockmolpy?

If it were a meowply surely they would have noticed it, given their rational paranoia. I suspect it is simply a molpy-shaped rock
He/Him/His Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:46 pm UTC

DrSamCarter wrote:I understood everything until I got to TLDR.
It's essentially the internet word for "summary". It comes from "too long, didn't read" and is also written as "TL,DR". It's sometimes used as a (not so nice) way of saying that the poster can't be bothered reading something another poster wrote, due to length.

edfel wrote:(Btw, since "present present" is now a label on its own, we could have present present presents :D )

And when you give it to someone now, you'd present a present present present.

"present present present present present present present present present present present present present present present present BLitzGirl! BlitzGirl!"

Tossing forward:
just_some_guy wrote:Just had to come out of the "woodlurk" to be a part of the party. I have been reading since about NP2 and can't believe all the clevering, astonometricizing, songifying, etc., it's been such a pleasure to read. What a great bunch of people! The wait is worth it...

-JSG
Welcome! Glad to have you aboard!

@AluisioASG: Love your Beacon Alpha! Very nicely appointed, and I'm sure it will get a lot of use from weary Blitzers and Condimenters.

HES wrote:
mikro2nd wrote:Another Rockmolpy?

If it were a meowply surely they would have noticed it, given their rational paranoia. I suspect it is simply a molpy-shaped rock
So, would that be a rock that looks like a bear, or a bear that looks like a rock?

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:59 pm UTC

Flotter wrote:WalkONG:
Spoiler:

I just noticed that on the top of the cliff, at the right side of the frame, the leftmost part (?) of something is visible (about 20 (vertical) x 1 (horizontal) pixels).
Any guesses what this might be? Is it a tree? Is it a rock? Is it already the structure on the mountaintop?
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:04 pm UTC

ClimbONG commenced:

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:29 pm UTC

Flotter wrote:Wonder what it's for? We don't even know what it is!
Yet we still
Spoiler:
wait for it.

OMR, PagePope! For the first time (since the invention of the PagePope). My papal decree:
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

*looks at first spoiler knowing what it is*
*opens anyway*
Grrr, I knew it!

*looks at second spoiler*
Oh, a pope decree.
*opens second spoiler*
Randdammit! Twice in one post, you rascal.
Voice of the Silent

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:49 pm UTC

Molpy up! The most wonderful thing about mid-wip holidays is sleeping in. I've had my morning ketchup and will quick post before heading out for the dip.

I do hope Megan's leg will not give her too much trouble making the climb, although it does appear that there is some kind of built-in ladder. Also, yes, that does look like a meowlpy loafing on the rocks. I will have to find out later todip when I return. Keep the faith everyone! Wait for it.

Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: 1190: Time

Postby SBN » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:53 pm UTC

higgs-boson wrote:My personal list of things which can make me pour into tears ist not that long: Cutting onions (sometimes), breaking bones (if the bones in question are hosted in my own body) and Les Misérables.yes...

I knew the music before I visited the show in Queen's Theatre and I was pleased/relieved/surprised/happy that the stage met the expectations. Yes, this is a trip I'd like to make [again], too.

...butOf course, as a parent you have to live with the knowledge that any time something may happen which could make you all tears. Did not happen, so far. Thank, well, heresy again, god.

Somehow, as a parent, one of the things that moved highest on my list is little kids singing. Any little kids, singing anything, and I'm done. My own kids are well out of the age range to trigger it, but I still cry when little kids sing.

I seem to have missed all the partying here, because of IRL fun. Took my two largest wolpies to the parade this morning. 'Twas the biggest one's first time, but he was quite good. Barked back at some honking horns, but mostly just laid on the grass and accepted the adoration of children as his due. It's a fun parade, quintessential small-town America. We're very small, so the parade has to confine itself to half the road, and cars are still going by on the other side. The people in the crowd recognize the people in the parade, and call out to them, and the people in the parade will also call out to their friends, and sometimes stop and run into the crowd to give someone a hug.
Last edited by SBN on Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:55 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:53 pm UTC

iisjreg wrote:(But trying to explain it to my girlfriend was met with geekapathywhat?)

what? Really not caring about my constant geeking out on a comic (and other things) :D

Heh, luckily my girlfriend works in animation so she doesn't find me obsessing over a comic too geeky. Probably still a little geeky though.
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:00 pm UTC

firstONG
Yes!! :D Probably more excited about it than I should be, but oh well. I was terrified of ninjas or the image not working, but it looks like I actually made it.
Also, Cueball is such a kiss-ass. :wink:
Last edited by TimeLurker on Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:03 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Voice of the Silent

IceIsNice

Postby IceIsNice » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:03 pm UTC

I'm prepared to abandon the theory that it's a meowlpy sitting curled up under the rock ledge. Such dashing of hopes.
Hi! Probably.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:05 pm UTC

IceIsNice wrote:I'm prepared to abandon the theory that it's a meowlpy sitting curled up under the rock ledge. Such dashing of hopes.

Well, we're going to have something interesting enough in the next scene after they climb the rock ladder. No need to steal it's thunder with a rock meowlpy.

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:02 pm UTC

CarefulONG

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:06 pm UTC

Pikrass wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:So...is it still the case that mods can be summoned by name? Like if I wanted to suggest bbcode for an alternative, less buggy spoiler that allows you to give it a title, I could just yell for "davean"? Or maybe that should be handled via PM.

I started to write a patch when the Great Webmaster came, but never finished it. The BBCode to HTML code is done, but the reverse code has yet to be written.
I figured I should try to include it in phpBB's code, to make his life easier, so I studied it a little, but not far enough.
I thought recently I should finish it soon, since I'm on holidays since this wip-end. But if anyone wants to do it before me, feel free.

Here's what I've done so far :
new-spoiler.zip

See, that may be overcomplicating things. My solution (which I've just realized actually doesn't nest properly - I'll have to modify it some. I only tested for if it completely breaks down the forum style :P ) is completely vanilla, just a different way of doing spoilers via the bbcodes tab on the administrator control panel. Your solution may address the underlying problem, though, which is potentially better.

PSETA:
moody7277 wrote:CarefulONG

Spoiler:

What a gentleman cueball is

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:08 pm UTC

Don't know that anyone else's noticed, but waiter MobTeeseBoose seems to have vanished. :cry:
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:15 pm UTC

TimeLurker wrote:firstONG
Spoiler:

Yes!! :D Probably more excited about it than I should be, but oh well. I was terrified of ninjas or the image not working, but it looks like I actually made it.
Also, Cueball is such a kiss-ass. :wink:

Congrats TimeLurker on that first Ong. Now that you've figured out your method you can start Bonging them out.
(To the rest of the tribe: A while and a bit ago TimeLurker pulled my name out of the hat and PM'ed me to ask how to Ong. He wanted to have his first post to be an Ong. I gave him a loonngg winded explanation of how I do it; but I also told him about Mod-queue and no links in the first five posts. I did invite him to just jump on in, though. Which I see he's done and done well.) Again, "way to go, dude".
moody7277 wrote:
IceIsNice wrote:I'm prepared to abandon the theory that it's a meowlpy sitting curled up under the rock ledge. Such dashing of hopes.

Well, we're going to have something interesting enough in the next scene after they climb the rock ladder. No need to steal it's thunder with a rock meowlpy.

Okay now I have a B-52's song stuck in my head.

(Not that that's bad. I like them.)
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:27 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:<snip>
Congrats TimeLurker on that first Ong. Now that you've figured out your method you can start Bonging them out.
(To the rest of the tribe: A while and a bit ago TimeLurker pulled my name out of the hat and PM'ed me to ask how to Ong. He wanted to have his first post to be an Ong. I gave him a loonngg winded explanation of how I do it; but I also told him about Mod-queue and no links in the first five posts. I did invite him to just jump on in, though. Which I see he's done and done well.) Again, "way to go, dude".
<snip>

I did give you an "Elder Shout-Out" back on NP996 for your help. It's nice to see you remembered me as well. http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&p=3397941&hilit=+pelrigg#p3397941
Voice of the Silent

charlie_grumbles

Re: 1190: "Time" Tdf Update

Postby charlie_grumbles » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:32 pm UTC

The 6th stage of the Tour de France ended a bit ago in a large sprint. André Greipel wins, but Peter Sagan (second) keeps the Green Jersey (more below). The Yellow Jersey is now worn by Daryl Impey of South Africa (a first), who holds the overall lead on time by 3 seconds over Edvald Boasson Hagen of Norway. Simon Gerrans who held Yellow is now at 5 seconds back in 3rd place for Yellow.

The stage was very flat and very fast. Two riders (Van den Broeck and Bouet) did not start. They were in the crash in the last km yesterday. Maxime Bouet broke his wrist and Jurgen Van den Broeck with a knee injury. Dangerous race, as I've said. There was a serious crash today that put Janez Brajkovic in the road. He was able to finish ten minutes late in a lot of pain. If he drops out tomorrow, (don't know how likely) it would leave Team Astana with 6 riders of the original 9. Quite a handicap for a team race.

Tomorrow's race is a bit harder with more hills, including one long hard climb. It ends on a downhill so it may again be a day for sprinters like Greipel or Cavendish to win. It is scheduled for a noon start (continental time).

One of the prize jerseys is white. It is worn by the "young" rider with the best overall time. That is currently Michal KWIATKOWSKI of Poland. The rider needs to be under 26 years old. Peter Sagan in the Green Jersey is eligible for this jersey too. It is like the yellow jersey for kids.

The Green Jersey competition is won on points. At the end of each race and at intermediate points in most stages there is a "sprint" in which the first x riders win points. X is large at the ends of races and smaller at the intermediate points. The points awarded are heavily weighted towards the first riders. Currently Sagan has 159 points and Greipel 130. It is a heavily contested race, made for specialists who can ride like the wind, but maybe not climb as well. Some stages (like today) are designed for these riders. Others for the climbers. On such days there is usually very little time difference. The mountains take care of that and the sprinters just try to finish inside the time limits. Tomorrow the hard climbs come fairly early so the sprinters may have a chance at the finish line.

One rider today, Luis Maté, went ahead of the bunch at the start and rode alone for 44km. It is very hard to do, since wind is your worst enemy on a bike and in a group you get to share wind-breaking duty. Alone it is all up to you. Since the force against you varies with the square of the speed (go twice as fast against four times the force), a big group can go faster than an individual or even a small group, since they don't wear out as quickly. If a group breaks away the members usually collect the intermediate sprint points and sometimes holds on to the end. Later in the race a group that poses no threat to the Yellow Jersey's time will be given a lot of latitude to win the stage, but not now. That can make for a leisurely race for everyone but the breakaway.
-- Charlie Grumbles

pelrigg

Re: 1190: "Time" Tdf Update

Postby pelrigg » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:42 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
Spoiler:
The 6th stage of the Tour de France ended a bit ago in a large sprint. André Greipel wins, but Peter Sagan (second) keeps the Green Jersey (more below). The Yellow Jersey is now worn by Daryl Impey of South Africa (a first), who holds the overall lead on time by 3 seconds over Edvald Boasson Hagen of Norway. Simon Gerrans who held Yellow is now at 5 seconds back in 3rd place for Yellow.

The stage was very flat and very fast. Two riders (Van den Broeck and Bouet) did not start. They were in the crash in the last km yesterday. Maxime Bouet broke his wrist and Jurgen Van den Broeck with a knee injury. Dangerous race, as I've said. There was a serious crash today that put Janez Brajkovic in the road. He was able to finish ten minutes late in a lot of pain. If he drops out tomorrow, (don't know how likely) it would leave Team Astana with 6 riders of the original 9. Quite a handicap for a team race.

Tomorrow's race is a bit harder with more hills, including one long hard climb. It ends on a downhill so it may again be a day for sprinters like Greipel or Cavendish to win. It is scheduled for a noon start (continental time).

One of the prize jerseys is white. It is worn by the "young" rider with the best overall time. That is currently Michal KWIATKOWSKI of Poland. The rider needs to be under 26 years old. Peter Sagan in the Green Jersey is eligible for this jersey too. It is like the yellow jersey for kids.

The Green Jersey competition is won on points. At the end of each race and at intermediate points in most stages there is a "sprint" in which the first x riders win points. X is large at the ends of races and smaller at the intermediate points. The points awarded are heavily weighted towards the first riders. Currently Sagan has 159 points and Greipel 130. It is a heavily contested race, made for specialists who can ride like the wind, but maybe not climb as well. Some stages (like today) are designed for these riders. Others for the climbers. On such days there is usually very little time difference. The mountains take care of that and the sprinters just try to finish inside the time limits. Tomorrow the hard climbs come fairly early so the sprinters may have a chance at the finish line.

One rider today, Luis Maté, went ahead of the bunch at the start and rode alone for 44km. It is very hard to do, since wind is your worst enemy on a bike and in a group you get to share wind-breaking duty. Alone it is all up to you. Since the force against you varies with the square of the speed (go twice as fast against four times the force), a big group can go faster than an individual or even a small group, since they don't wear out as quickly. If a group breaks away the members usually collect the intermediate sprint points and sometimes holds on to the end. Later in the race a group that poses no threat to the Yellow Jersey's time will be given a lot of latitude to win the stage, but not now. That can make for a leisurely race for everyone but the breakaway.

Thanks Charlie for your Tour updates. It's really nice to have the background behind each stage explained by someone who loves and understand the sport. It makes it easier for those of us who have only seen the 30-second sound-bite highlites on the TV.
Also, nice to see you posting again.
(I kinda took a vacation from posting also. not that anyone noticed my absence. *shrug*)

Edit in:
p.s. TimeLurker; I did notice your shout-out. Thanks.
Last edited by pelrigg on Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:47 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:43 pm UTC

BTW, I've been following the OTC and the OTT from the beginning (well a few hours after the beginning, since I'm not up at local midnight). I joined a few days later so that I could read profiles to see what people had to say about themselves (not much, usually). I didn't post for over 500 pages as I'm not normally a believer in fora and my online presence, except for this, is strictly professional. No Facebook, etc. So I was happy to lurk. My first post was just a notice that slashdot noticed us. I got involved when it seemed like flames were arising around the edges and I wanted to tamp that down. I can't claim sole credit for the success of that, of course, as many of you care enough to work at it.

It also gave me a simple outlet for my creativity, though I'm now pouring most of that into a book.
-- Charlie Grumbles

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:48 pm UTC

Ooh, a book? What kind of book, charlie?

kenmelken wrote:
Spoiler:
Okay... second things second... I have a new centennial GIFt for you all! Honestly, I wanted to get it done earlier and have my 400th post coincide with page 1000, but alas, it was not to be. Life on the Outside has gotten busy, busy, busy! SOOOO.... Here it is now. I'm not gonna lie... It isn't as cool in my opinion as some of my other ones. I wanted to do some much cooler things with it (I wanted to make little stars with your avatars throughout it, like I did with your names as pizza toppings last time), but time has not been on my side lately. So, please just imagine your avatar sparkling in the sky at some point while watching this. :)
BlitzGirl wrote:Also, frame 2441 does not seem to be included in any period at all.

It appears from your later post that you figured this out, but I'm glad you brought it up and will explain a bit more, especially for the sake of others. Basically, we have a bit of a crisis with the numbering of frames right now. (Explanation of this crisis has been spoilered because also seaish. Unlock to read about our great dilemma!)
Spoiler:
There have always been 4 main compilations of the frames: mscha, geekwagon, Aubronwood, and explainXKCD. Due to the inclusion of the apocryphal frames, Aubronwood has for a very long time had different frame numbers than the other 3, but they were all always in harmony. However, the meteor came flashing through the sky and brought chaos and disorder in its wake. mscha opted to number the meteor frames as 2440 a-e because of their out-of-place occurrence, while explainXKCD simply continued to number each one individually (2441-2445). Meanwhile, geekwagon actually only caught and currently displays the last of the 5 pics, which it numbers 2441. (Incidentally, Aubron did similarly to explainXKCD, but is still out of sync due to the apocryphal frames). In other words, all 4 sources now have different numbers for frames after 2440.

mscha's numbers have always been considered the most canonical, but the wiki has always linked to geekwagon because it is such a useful system for displaying and linking to individual frames in a fantastic format. That was fine when geekwagon and mscha had the same numbers, but now they don't. We are hoping at some point geekwagon will include the other frames, and perhaps adjust their numbering. Meanwhile, because we are linking still to geekwagon (way too late to reverse course on that fact, nor do we want to anyway), we have to begin Megan's Watch with 2442, but we can't just use the one frame they've preserved to represent the meteor period, so we've retained mscha's 2440 a-e for referring to the meteor frames for the time being. The result is an apparently missing 2441. The hope is that this is eventually resolved in a nicer way!

Thanks for the clarification, wiki warrior! And nice gif! I couldn't figure the code out when it was first posted, so I'll leave that to somebody worthier. :P I'm hoping too that geekwagon will fix the meteor TimeFrames. Having different numbers for mscha's list and the OTW throws me off (the book of aubronwood has been off for a long Time, so that doesn't really bother me).

Klear wrote:
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:Thanks! I know for sure that I didn't get everyone, but I tried to get a lot of OTTers. If I'd actually thought ahead, I would have spent a few days on this, but it didn't occur to me to ottify Othercomic #1000 until today. So I scooped up images from my Boom De Yadas and all the manips I had made and saved, then got a bunch of avatars from recent newpages, then scanned for avatars that were buffyhatted or memorable from my Quest, then collected the smileys made by yappobiscuits for OTTers, plus Vytron's smileys of the Time trio, tossed in a few stickottifications from my unreleased Past Present and several squirpy silhouettes from my screenshots, jumbled all of that together, and just barely finished in Time.
So that's how I got on that celebratory picture... I kinda feel both flattered and bad that I may have taken space from someone more dedicated to the Thread =(

No worries. The 1000 pic includes all kinds of OTTers. Plus, your avatar was perfectly suited for the space I needed it to fit! :)
By the way, if I missed someone who feels sad about not being included, feel free to PM me and I'll add a version with your avatar in it. There are still some small gaps left in the 1000 that I didn't have the chance to fill.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:50 pm UTC

kenmelken wrote:
tman2nd wrote:I don't understand what the distinction between The What? Period and The Dark Period. I suggest that maybe they should be merged.

I agree that many of those early periods have odd divisions, often based more on the thread than the comic. I honestly have not touched anything on the wiki from the Sandcastle Eon. I took up the job of writing period entries during the Baobab period because everything was terribly out of date and needed help at the time. My approach has been quite different from what others did before. I have not touched the Sandcastle Eon for two reasons: (reasons now spoilered because seaish. Unlock to keep reading!)
Spoiler:
(1) Keeping up with the Journey Eon keeps me busy enough as it is. (2) I'm hesitant to change what the Old Ones did. Their approach may have been different than mine, but who am I to say it was wrong? A lot of effort was put into those earlier periods on the wiki and I would feel like an intruder to simply obliterate what they did just because for the last 3 eras I've established a whole new methodology. That said, I do think it would be nice to go back and expand some of those articles with a bit more comprehensive summaries and discussion, but if I did so it would be to supplement what is there rather than replace it. Now, I DO intend eventually to work backwards through the early eras of the Journey Eon and write those Period articles my way, since right now they are all just stubs. But, since I'm getting married in 19 days and my work has really picked up a lot lately... well, it may be a while! :P

BlitzGirl wrote:Also, frame 2441 does not seem to be included in any period at all.

It appears from your later post that you figured this out, but I'm glad you brought it up and will explain a bit more, especially for the sake of others. Basically, we have a bit of a crisis with the numbering of frames right now. (Explanation of this crisis has been spoilered because also seaish. Unlock to read about our great dilemma!)
Spoiler:

Edited to spoiler large text blocks.

The reason why I saw asking is because I was thinking of doing some wiki work myself, but when I saw those first two periods I didn't understand their distinction. Does anybody mind if I merge the articles?

On the subject of the meteor frames, I would think that they should have separate numbers. A newpix the time until the next update. I don't think it should matter if that update corresponds to a small amount of outside time.
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:56 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Ooh, a book? What kind of book, charlie?

A math book actually. Meant for you, in fact. Meant for people who might want to learn where their maths come from and a bit about how mathematicians actually think. I don't know that I've captured it yet and I've a long way to go on the project. The discussions here got me thinking about stuff I haven't done in years so you were all the inspiration for it. "Number and the Nature of Mathematics" is the working title.

I might not be here now, actually, but that I hit a hard bit in the book that took some reflection. I'm about to go back to it pretty hard now, though.
-- Charlie Grumbles

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:00 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Ooh, a book? What kind of book, charlie?

A math book actually. Meant for you, in fact. Meant for people who might want to learn where their maths come from and a bit about how mathematicians actually think. I don't know that I've captured it yet and I've a long way to go on the project. The discussions here got me thinking about stuff I haven't done in years so you were all the inspiration for it. "Number and the Nature of Mathematics" is the working title.

I might not be here now, actually, but that I hit a hard bit in the book that took some reflection. I'm about to go back to it pretty hard now, though.

Ooh! sounds exciting! Wish you the best of luck, and I'll be interested in reading it once it's finished :D

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:01 pm UTC

UPANDONGWARD
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”