1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:56 pm UTC

nsub1 wrote:
Rule110 wrote:Worst case:
"Looks okay."
(doesn't answer because she's dead)

Don't forget:
"Looks okay."
"BRAAAIIIIIINNNSSS"

Although maybe Cueball would be safe in this case. Anyway, maybe Megan will be like "I can see my house from here!"

Oh no. I don't think I want to visit Megan's house. Especially if she's also a zombie.

Edit:
Spoiler:
No decree this newpage. As you were.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:01 pm UTC

Ketchup Post <insert image of tomato based beverage here>

@zoomansp
@BlitzGirl
@Eliram
@mscha/xpatiate
@StormAngel
@marchlight

Spoilered for seaish1 and yeahishness6.
Spoiler:
kenmelken wrote:ONG. Did it move, or did the camera?
EDIT: Double post was only for the ONG.

ZoomanSP, Just a congrats, I think you pointed out the existence of this structure before it was completely visible.

BlitzGirl wrote:Many newpages ago, I made a list of squirpy Othercomics:
BlitzGirl wrote:Wow, I coma for a few newpix and a squirpy shows up! :D Exciting!

To celebrate, here's a squirrelpy family reunion from Other Comics:
http://xkcd.com/167/ - "Hey, I found squirrels! In a neat tree! The future is an adventure!"
http://xkcd.com/1156/ - Gray squirpy and raptors, and Popeful title-text!
http://xkcd.com/635/ - Don't feed the squirpys!
http://xkcd.com/382/ - It's no trebuchet, but "It keeps squirrels off the feeder!"

And the crown jewel:
http://xkcd.com/776/ - It's all related.

From these, it can be observed that our squirpy's coloring allows it to cleverly blend in with its natural environment of semencoffeecancer, as none of the visible Other Comic squirpy-squirrels are pure black.
But while molping about xkcd I found a GLR-made comic that I missed. And the squirpy is black!

If you're compiling squirpy comics, there was a student drawn comic in the Exponent at Purdue University that had a squirrel as a recurring character. It would steal computer parts for its master.

Eliram wrote:
xpatiate wrote:my decree is that you tell us what time-consuming activity you've given up in order to Wait for it.

Ehh... Work.

Oh good, it's not just me.

mscha wrote:
xpatiate wrote:While educating myself on mining equipment I did wonder if any of our resident hatters would be taken by this idea...
wikipedia wrote:A recently erected steel headgear in the Zambian copper belt town of Chililabombwe at the Konkola number 4 shaft has a total height of 81 metres to the top of the maintenance crane rail, with the centre-line of the head sheaves at 71 metres above the collar, making it the highest steel headgear in Africa.

Not a resident hatter, but do you mean something like this?

This literally made me LOL. I mean it, people stared.

StormAngel wrote:BATerONG
The hash changed, but I can't see what else has, I don't have any fancy comparison tools...

Try using geekwagon's http://geekwagon.net/projects/xkcd1190/ Click the compare option on the right.

marchlight wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:Oh, and papal decree. I am blue dabadie dabadai.

I'm blue, if I was green I would die1
1My friend in elementary school swore for months those were the official lyrics

Wait, that's not right? I'm serious, that's how I sing it.
Voice of the Silent
Owner of the contents of Cueball's head
Lurking Time-Ninja of the Past-Post

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:02 pm UTC

OFFTOTHERIGHTONG

Hmm, what's she looking at?

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:04 pm UTC

Earthling on Mars wrote:Hmm, what's she looking at?

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:04 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Wow, 125 guests on the Othercomics forum today. That seems awfully high for some reason. Some Outside websource linked here, maybe?
You're welcome, VoronX! :)

I'm assuming the large number of guests is due to no one knowing who Douglas Engelbart is and they're looking for an explanation of the comic (that's what I use the OtherComic forums for}.
Voice of the Silent
Owner of the contents of Cueball's head
Lurking Time-Ninja of the Past-Post

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:05 pm UTC

cari.j.elliot wrote:What's up with the Tour de France post? Seems less of a sidetrack and more off-topic than we usually get.

Charlie_Grumbles is generous enough to give us a riveting update on the happenings in the TdF.

I'm inclined to suspect that it may also be possible that as the TdF continues, riders will appear in Time, and Cuegan will be forced to jump out of their way, possibly resulting in a tumble down the mountain. Perhaps we can add that to the growing number of far out theories regarding the OTC. :mrgreen:
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

thirds

Postby thirds » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:05 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:No decree this newpage. As you were.

Wait, does that mean we continue the decree from last page?

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:07 pm UTC

If you would like. I didn't decree against colorful posts.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:08 pm UTC

I've only ketchupped three pages and already my comments are like unto the sea...
First, woohoo, we're MOVING again!!! (And Megan's not dead yet!!!)
Second, youse guys are the most amazing, creative, clever... You're brilliant, okay? It's like having dozens of head-chibis, only with free will.
Third, some specific shout- outs: photoshops and loving memories and 600th posts and Boom de Yada's, oh my! And fireworks and and and... Wow! (I think Little Bear was trying to sing Boom de Yada while we were driving, I guess I've been singing it a lot.)
My earliest OTC memory -
Spoiler:
like ucim, I've been following xkcd since before the forum link was removed. A good friend of mine shared a few comics with me, I went and read from the beginning, and I quite liked it. When I got to Megan filling her apartment with playground balls and reminding Cueball that as adults they could decide the rules, I fell in love.
I checked out 1190 when I got up that day, puzzled over it, and dug around until I found the forum link again; I had gone to it a few times when I didn't understand the comic, but I'm not good at IM'ing, chatting, that sort of thing - I can barely handle text conversations, so I had never thought of registering.
When ergman posted his gif of the One True Flame being lit, I was sure I saw a Phoenix in the flames that no one mentioned, and finally registered to point it out/ask about it.
So how about it, ergman: that was on purpose, right? Or was I seeing things, like my crocomolpy a few scenes ago and my hedgehog/snapping turtle/topiary in the scene of the long dark night?

Brilliant conversation:
Spoiler:
pelrigg wrote:yappo that was "Brilliant" (and I mean that in the most "British" of ways... (Actually, I usually hear it my head with a Ron Weasley sort of voice. )
yappobiscuits wrote:And pelrigg - is that a British thing? I never knew, I use it all the time and presumed those across the pond did too (it's probably my main go-to word for that meaning, rather than "awesome" or "cool" etc)
I thought it was mostly British. The only place I know I've heard it is in "Harry Potter". ( )
BlitzGirl wrote:Americans use it rarely, generally "awesome" or "cool" are the go-to words over here. We're probably more likely to see British characters use it in movies (like Harry Potter) than we are to hear "Brilliant!" spoken like that in everyday conversation. Your mileage (kilometerage?) may vary, of course.
k.bookbinder wrote: Yes, we don't really use "brilliant" in that way over here, which is a shame because I do so love that particular usage of it. I do use it sometimes, but sparingly. Luckily, most of my coworkers are used to me saying "odd things".
yappobiscuits wrote:Ah, ok. I shall continue to use it though, as it is a brilliant word
As k.bookbinder says, quite. “Lovely” is another example - in the US it's used strictly for a certain aspect of beauty, and not often then. In Britain (well, in Scotland, in the ’70s and ’80s, anyway!) it's used for a soft chair, a fresh cup of tea, a sweet baby, approving of somebody's new boyfriend/flat/good news. A certain aspect of comfort, I suppose.

A hippo's weight in cakes:
Spoiler:
Thanks so much, everybody, for your good wishes! (And apologies to Sandra Boynton for ripping off her poem) It was a very good birthday - we took the Butterfly for her first visit to the zoo, and the next day we went to our favorite Indian restaurant for dinner, then my youngest and I went to see the fireworks. (Everyone else wimps out because of the crowds, the long walk, sitting on the ground, the heat, the traffic, etc, so we go by ourselves. We bring a box of tiny frozen eclairs, and eat the whole thing ourselves. It's pretty rough, but someone's got to do it.)

ETA: And I'm in the 1000 pic! Thanks again, ergman, for my gorgeous blue crab :D
Last edited by BlueCrab on Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:10 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:08 pm UTC

thirds wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:No decree this newpage. As you were.

Wait, does that mean we continue the decree from last page?

But I didn't post last page, so I wouldn't have to.
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:10 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Earthling on Mars wrote:Hmm, what's she looking at?

Spoiler:

You cruel thing.
Spoiler contents not found. (That's perfect actually; your post was made at 4:04 in my timezone!)

AnotherKevin

Postby AnotherKevin » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:12 pm UTC

Oh, the pagepope has decreed that in color I must post,
That every post a color that isn't black must boast,
But the moderators limit the colors I can use,
I've got the XKCD forum - don't post in red blues.

Oh the moderators claim red for themselves
And they say 'any shade' - which puts upon the shelves
All stuff from yellow to magenta - that's a third of the hues!

Oh, yellow is ok if it's greenish, I suppose.
And a bluish violet might leave you smelling like a rose,
But a third of the gamut will only bring bad news:
All the rivers run into the sea, yet the sea is not full.
Unto the place from whence the rivers come, thither they return again.

marchlight

Postby marchlight » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:15 pm UTC

TimeLurker wrote:
marchlight wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:Oh, and papal decree. I am blue dabadie dabadai.

I'm blue, if I was green I would die1
1My friend in elementary school swore for months those were the official lyrics

Wait, that's not right? I'm serious, that's how I sing it.

Hee, that's how I always sing it too because of her, but the "real" lyrics are just "I'm blue, da ba dee da ba di".

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:19 pm UTC

Earthling on Mars wrote:OFFTOTHERIGHTONG

Spoiler:

Hmm, what's she looking at?

My guess: she's comparing what she saw through the scope with what she can see in that direction. Figuring out what the scope does, in other words.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

just_some_guy

Re: FIRSTPOSTS

Postby just_some_guy » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:38 pm UTC

OH My Randall, I can't believe I bumped the millenimome! BlitzGirl I am SO sorry, and humbly beg your forgiveness. If it be your wish I will delete that post post-haste. It is entirely fitting that I made myself milleni-goat in the process, and if this provides any security for you I'm happy to maintain that role (plus it would avoid goatifying a bunch of succeeding [pm]o[pm]es).

BlitzGirl wrote:Oh hey, I see that there is some bumpage going on. I now have a buffer between myself and perpetual goatage, which is good.
I was going to congratulate spamjam on getting his ready set go post in the right place, but no, the first newcomer posted immediately after it! :P
Here are the firstposts...

just_some_guy wrote:Just had to come out of the "woodlurk" to be a part of the party. I have been reading since about NP2 and can't believe all the clevering, astonometricizing, songifying, etc., it's been such a pleasure to read. What a great bunch of people! The wait is worth it...

-JSG

Hello, JSG! It's nice to meet you! The Wait is great indeed! :D

I must admit I was happy to be welcomed by you, not just for your legendary status in this needle-pulled-thingy but because I feared I did you a great injustice but you've been very understanding. It could only have been worse if I'd actually popified myself. Here's how much of a newb I am: I aspired only to being part of the first 1000 pages, and thought "40 posts per page, 1000 pages, it's only at 39952 right now, so I've still got time to get in before the big 40000." Also I didn't know the mod delay was going to be that long. The really embarrassing part is I'm a programmer-type, so I should never have made such a fencepost error.

ucim wrote:Tossing forward:
just_some_guy wrote:Snip...
Welcome! Glad to have you aboard!

Jose

And you too, ucim, glad to be here in the open instead of just reading. However I admit considerable angst about posting because there is no way my real life (however heretical) will allow me proper ketchup, at best I read the last 2 NPs per dip, so I always feel that whatever I'm about to post has probably been said in the other 10 NPs of the day (this was especially true during the astrometrics era, when I might have been able to contribute but not beyond what was done). Though with the amount of quoting that goes on I think I get most of the best stuff.

Since there is no papal (momal?) decree I will fill-in with some recent ones:

1) First memory of the OTC: About frame 2 or 3, but very near an update so I quickly saw one of the characters' heads turn a little bit, and realized we were in for a ride...

2) Old astronomy equipment:

A few old pieces from the Beijing Observatory.
(OK, looks like I'm not allowed to post links/images, but there are bunch of way-old astronomical instruments just sitting on a roof in the middle of Beijing, one would think they should be protected somehow...)

3) Color

-JSG

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:47 pm UTC

Don't worry at all, JSG. :) Bumps and deletions are a natural way of life on the thread, and we're quite used to them. I'm actually happy that I got bumped forward into the 1000th newpage instead of being reduced to goat, as has happened to previous popes when a pastpost is deleted. (Oh, and you can't delete posts yourself, a moderator has to do that.) But thank you anyway for being so polite!

Don't fret about ketchup, either. For many people it's simply not an option to read all of the OTT; it's fine if you just hop in when you can or if you feel like it. There are many different kinds of readers and posters who keep up with the OTT in their own fashion, and many, many ways to observe Time. It's just fun for us to Wait together!
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

VoronX

Postby VoronX » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:58 pm UTC

BlueCrab wrote: As k.bookbinder says, quite. “Lovely” is another example - in the US it's used strictly for a certain aspect of beauty, and not often then. In Britain (well, in Scotland, in the ’70s and ’80s, anyway!) it's used for a soft chair, a fresh cup of tea, a sweet baby, approving of somebody's new boyfriend/flat/good news. A certain aspect of comfort, I suppose.

Over here in the US, "lovely" is also often used sardonically/sarcastically. A new annoying or disheartening piece of news is often greeted with it. "What's that, the semeatedcoffeecancerbabiesea only comes in DECAF? Lovely... :roll: "
A humble Pilgrim0 awash in the Sea1 of TimeS, unstuck, observing the wonderful Stars therin . . . waiting for IT.
0 - Billy
1 - BIG
S - Like a River2?

2 - small, and a host of other adjectives

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:00 pm UTC

PeoplONG!
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:03 pm UTC

People! Yay!
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:03 pm UTC

Yay, she found people! :D

Davidy

Postby Davidy » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:09 pm UTC

Ashaman wrote:So, just a random thought about storytelling and presentation: Randall must be drawing these with a plan, he's got a vision for where the story goes and what he's going to show us next. He's sitting at his desk and tossing out dozens of frames at a time, in rapid succession, knowing exactly how the story is going to flow. There's no surprises or suspense from his perspective, and the contents of the next frame could be done in just a couple minutes if he's only updating the positions of our main characters.

But we keep running into little moments of suspense, like the leg of the tower intruding into the edge of the frame for the last bit of cliff climbing. I think it was there to deliberately tease us, not just because it happened to be on the edge of the next section of landscape. He could have shifted the dividing line between panels by one pixel and completely hidden the tower leg. Instead, he chose to show just a hint of it, and to keep it on the side of the frame for many panels, so we'd have time to notice and discuss it.

Similarly with the stars at night. He chose to give us a long, slow, mostly uneventful night. From a storytelling point of view, it might seem like a mistake. Yet it allowed him to throw in lots of little clues about context, the rotation of the stars showing latitude, the precise position of the planets and key stars hinting about a far future date. Without the analysis coming from this thread, those clues would have mostly been lost. But we were here, picking out every hint of information from every panel. And why not, since we have hours to study each panel while we wait for the next.

This comic is not just unfolding like a full speed movie played at a very slow frame rate, it's deliberately crafted to be revealed in a very slow manner, frame by frame. This thread is, in essence, an important part of the overall presentation. This is a show that is intended to include speculation, analysis, and guesswork.

You're presupposing that Randal began this with the advance knowledge that there would be a vast following that would, and could, spend hours microanalyzing every nuance of his drawings. Or, did he simply begin in fun and only later discover that he could mess with us with the tantalizing clues he left? Does he have an actual end game in mind or is he presently reacting to the musings of the posters? It is said that he doesn't read the forum (how could he do so and still have time to draw and attend to the regular duties of living?) but it often seens that his story arc deliberately changes to make sure that the predictions made here do not come to pass. If, on the other hand, the story is somehow a parallel of his own personal life and relationships then the story may never really wrap up in any way that makes sense to us outsiders.
"It's only funny until someone loses an eye, then it's still funny but they can only see it in 2-D."

foilman

Postby foilman » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:09 pm UTC

Neat.

karhell

Postby karhell » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:09 pm UTC

Karhell's letters to the Denizens of the OTT
Chapter 78, verses *getLatestVerse()+1* to *getLatestVerse()+n*

===== Summary =====
More jumping and sliding and falling in the dunes. Also the first non-humanoid lifesign appears. Finally, Cuegan leave the Dunes behind

In the meantime, the pace of the OTT runs slow, with as much as 5 np.NP-1.
Discussions turn mainly around :
A - What kind of bird just passed
B - First computers
C - Everyone's first post
D - Other topics, but A, B, and C were the main ones.

===== Prologue =====
Spoiler:
First and formost, I'd like to take a while to thank everyone who ever participated in the OTT. Y'all have created something really marvellous, diverse, and fascinating. What is quite surprising is that as Time moves on, so do the OTT members. Some come, post a couple of messages, and are never heard of again. Others join in and have never left again. Some are young, others are older, we count programmers, artists, some paranoid data backuppers (is that even a word ?).
But never mind who is present, the same general spirit is felt, and the thread has always been a real pleasure to read.
When I started Blitzing, I expected to face a daunting task (and given regards to the sheer number of posts... it is), but the read is so pleasant, I just can't stop.

So, yes, thank you all for this. Thank you very much. I love you all!

===== Sigcouragement =====
Spoiler:
Earthling on Mars wrote:Keep going Vytron, Flado, macraw83, Ray Kremer, Minim (and Corinne), karhell, WOnder93, Marsh'n, and any others blitzing the One True Thread! You can do it!

Blimey ! there's an awful lot of us now ^^

===== Blitzers =====
Spoiler:
Vytron wrote:Blind posting (thanks azule for coining the term, just read about that now!) from Newpage 541 - 65 pages of ketchup left.

Now THAT is what I call a Wall of Text. Wish I knew how to do those ^^

macraw83 wrote:Blitz progress: 511 of 608
The River Encounter, NP1057

I see you're still blitzing, macraw, by all means, carry on, I look forward to meeting you in the future present !

===== OTC Theories =====
Spoiler:
mikro2nd wrote:ketchup for breakfast, though I'd far prefer mustard...

BlitzGirl wrote:UFOng

I see this as tending to back up my Map of the Internet theory. Let's not forget that the map (not the OTM) was drawn up in 2010. In the meanwhile there has been a significant peasant uprising in the Province of Farmville by the Angribirds Tribe. Or so I have heard it rumored, since I consider the Peoples' Democratic Republic of Facebook far too dangerous a place to visit...

Get out, Megan and Cueball! Escape while you can!

I quite like this idea, although I'm starting to wonder if GLR sin't in fact trying to conquer his own country

===== Newcomers =====
Spoiler:
waveney wrote:Time to de-lurk.

As a birder, I think it is a bird of prey - perhap a vulture or kestrel. It is not a small bird, from its wing shape it spends a lot of time flying, and is not a gull. From the first frame I thought it might be a swift, but definately not in the second frame. I think vulture is most likely in the desert.

Ace wrote:Hellooo ketchuppers, newbie here. You trekking types might be the first to read my first post, after it gets out of moderation! Been following the thread since the beginning, only just decided to create an account, since the OTT seems quieter these days.

Of course, I got sidetracked while typing this, and I come back to find the OTC has discovered life. Just when you think things are finally calm.. :roll:

dado wrote:Hello everybody! I have not posted before on this discussion, but I have been following the "time" comic, and the forum discussion about it.

Am I the only one to think that the vegetation on last panel looks like giant dead insects? On their back, and with their little antenna going up...
I can't help but seeing it this way now, I am not able anymore to see it as grass :o

Cadellin wrote:Long time lurker here. Anyone considered deriving 3D geometry from 1097-1121, where the camera zoomed along the pretty neat river?

edit : Cadellin wasn't quite on his firstpost...
Cadellin wrote:My first post was actually back on page 210, when I posted about the T shirt requests.

===== Ceremonies =====
Spoiler:
ucim wrote:[Scene 2: exterior - dawn]
Fade in to reveal the sunrise behind some mostly barren hills, which are still covered in morning mist. The air is still, and the sound of the sea is heard, far away but ever present. The camera pans right to reveal three large tents, and we see two clerical figures conversing animatedly.
first cleric wrote:We cannot have the ceremony here; that is preposterous. Listen to the sea!

second cleric wrote:We are high enough here. The sea cannot reach us.

first cleric wrote:The sea can do anything it wants! Have you already forgotten the last time?

[close up] on second cleric. We can now see that it is the Pope of the Holy Contradiction himself. He is deep in thought.
the Pope wrote:Yes, I remember. It was tragic. But we will never escape the sea. We can only live with it. We must do what we must do.

The matter settled, the Pope turns away and walks off. The first cleric catches up to him as the camera follows.
first cleric wrote:There is also the matter of... how shall I put it... this BlitzGirl you wish to honor. I don't see how we can do this. It goes against everything we believe in.

the Pope, stopping and turning sharply towards him, wrote:... and just what do we believe in?

The cleric is silent.
the Pope wrote:There is but one commandment. "Wait for it". There is no other.

first cleric wrote:But you refuse to wait for it. You want to have the commemoration here, now. And you're crowning another patriarch!
the Pope wrote:Oh, so that's it. I ask you, did Flado not have a Great Chasm in his soul?

first cleric wrote:Yes, he did... from the One True Comic.

the Pope wrote:Did he not embark on a Sacred Quest to fill this gap by drinking from the One True Thread?

first cleric wrote:Yes, he admitted to that himself.

the Pope wrote:has he not completed his Quest? Is he not verily now in the Present?

first cleric wrote:Yes, he is here. But...

the Pope wrote:But what?

The mist is now gone, and the pope is lit full on by the rising sun. He turns and grasps the cleric by the shoulder.
the Pope wrote:He has fulfilled the requirements and is a BlitzGirl. This is a most Glorious thing, and must not go unnoticed.

first cleric wrote:But he is... of the other faith!

the Pope wrote:Yes, it does seem a little contradictory that the Pope of the Holy Contradiction is canonizing the Undisputed Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church. But he's retired.

first cleric wrote:... and if he weren't retired, would that be a paradox?

the Pope, after thinking a moment, wrote:Yes, and no.

[cut to: exterior, early evening] Wide shot of the hillsides. They are mostly barren; loose gravel of some sort. The sea is in the distance. The sound of a distant ram's horn is heard. As if in response, we hear a similar call from the left. The camera pulls back a bit to reveal the back of the head of a herald, who puts a ram's horn to his lips sounds the call. The camera continues to pan back and we see that we are on the highest hill, and gathered below us are throngs of people, waiting for it in eager anticipation. The Pope and his First Cleric climb the few feet that lie between them and the crest of the hill, and turn to address the crowd.
the Pope, in a voice that fills the wilderness, wrote:Behold, behind you, the sea. The sea is great, and big, and does what it wants. We are nothing next to it, but that does not mean that we are nothing. For the sea itself is made of tiny drops, each of which is also nothing next to the sea, but they make up the sea.

Each new dix is nothing next to the enormity of time, but each dix is our dix, and we can do with it what we want. How we spend our dix defines who we are. Our Flado has chosen to spend his dix in Holy Quest, and we are gathered here to recognize and honor him for his Great Deed.

There is a rushing sound, as if from the sea, and the whole of the congregation instinctively turns to look. But the sea is as it always was. The first cleric goes up to the Pope.
first cleric wrote:Watch what you say. I don't want another disaster.

The crowd turns back to the podium, where a bird is now flying overhead. There is a gasp, and the Pope looks up.
the Pope, continuing, wrote:In our lives, sometimes we leave signposts. Sometimes we see signs.

He gestures towards the bird.
the Pope wrote:This day we commemorate and celebrate Flado, who by virtue of completing a Holy BlitzQuest, is to be recognized as a True and Worthy BlitzGirl.

And so it is on this day that we are ourselves graced with a sign - the very symbol of flight, of freedom, of vision, that blesses our Flado and his Quest.

Flado, I bid you rise, and kneel.

Flado comes forward from the front of the crowd. He has been Waiting For It!
the Pope wrote:Flado, in honor of your having been with the One True Thread since its early days, yet having felt the Great Chasm and embarked on a most Holy and Glorious Quest of Fulfillment, and in doing so, having thusly and properly experienced Time in its own time, by the power vested in me as Pope of the Order of the Holy Contradiction and through the witness of the Great First Bird above, do I hereby consecrate you and bestow upon thee the title of BlitzGirl the Next, that it be known for all Time and for all of time that you have truly and properly Waited For It.

The herald sounds the ram's horn again, and over each of the hilltops, the sound is carried and echoed throughout the land. There is great cheering from the crowds, and the banners are waved up and down and left and right in curvy fashions, so as to not release raptors. The crowd carries Flado away in grand celebration, and as it gets underway, the first cleric rushes up to the Pope and says
first cleric wrote:How could you have done this?? A Contradiction blessing a Paradox! It is heresy!

the Pope wrote:Heresy, you say? Look up in the sky and tell me what sign you see?

first cleric wrote:It is a bird, your pontiffness.

the Pope wrote:Yes, a bird. And out of that bird comes enlightenment. Continue to look up, close your eyes, and wait for it.

He didn't have to wait long.
Jose

<--previous (NP 539) / table of contents (on xkcd wiki) / next(NP 609)-->

Great writing, once again, Jose.

===== Creativity =====
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:DINOSAUNG...

(Yes, it's a fake.)

Well played, but an *ONG* at quarter-to-newpix ? You tin do better ;-)

===== Random =====
Spoiler:
Helper wrote:Not dead. No need for milk cartons. I'm still Pope-erly.
The family dog has gone missing in the Outside, and the end of school is approaching.
I've been fatally distracted by the Outside, but I'm still here. I may not post for awhile, but I'm not dead yet.
All hail the semencaffeinecancerbabies.
Love,
Helper

According to Kieryn's graphs, that was Helper's last post...
Speaking of which, I see the data hasn't been updated in a while, has there been a catastrophe ? Has Kieryn followed the Path o the Helper ?
I guess I have to...
Wait for it.

HES wrote:
ergman wrote:
HES wrote:
ergman wrote:Is that a slab in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

It lights up, vibrates and makes noises. Should I see a doctor? :?

yes... *cough*
/me puts on lab coat nonchalantly
What seems to be the problem?

I seem to have a 1960's spacecraft in my trousers

I had to exert extreme self-control to not burst out lauging there :mrgreen:

jjjdavidson wrote:And of course, buffygirl's right. Reality should never get in the way of xkcd logic.

Sigged !

HES wrote:It was a little weird de-lurking after so long, because I'd come to know the thread and it's occupants quite well, whilst to you I'd simply been a digit next to "guests"

Yep, same feeling here.

--karhell - logging out at the top of NP 609

EDIT : Chapter 8, not 7... Whoops
Last edited by karhell on Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:38 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!
Wait well, ChronosDragon, may your seaish ketchup be molpish!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:11 pm UTC

I hope they are alive people. And friendly people.

Medically inclined would be good, too.

Edit: My third-sentence addition edit was ninja'd by IceIsNice. I'm just too slow.
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:17 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

IceIsNice

Postby IceIsNice » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:14 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:I hope they are alive people. And friendly people.

With modern hospital facilities....
Hi! Probably.

sford

Postby sford » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:14 pm UTC

I'm a little concerned that she's not expressing any excitement. Shouldn't that have an exclamation point?

"I see people."

"Great! Let's go get help!"

"um..."

"What? What do you see?"

At this point, we zoom out to see ... what?

Spoiler:
A zombie hoard

Spoiler:
A big pile of corpses

(sorry, not an artist; could not even begin to draw)

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:15 pm UTC

I'm just worried that... Megan sees dead people.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

JGeezer

Postby JGeezer » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:17 pm UTC

Earthling on Mars wrote:Yay, she found people! :D

But.

Why is there this sense of dread? :| It wasn't "YAY, I FOUND PEOPLE! THANK YOU GLR! YIPPEE!", was it?

[OK, I don't post much, but I constantly ketchup and have followed almost everything. Even sent a small donation to Aubronwood] [We all should]
Image All you molpys, get off my lawn!

IceIsNice

Postby IceIsNice » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:18 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:I'm just worried that... Megan sees dead people.

And Cugan were dead all along....

Maybe Neil_Boekend has been on the right track with his predictions of doom and gloom.
Hi! Probably.

thirds

Postby thirds » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:21 pm UTC

I fear that there is a giant mirror just off to the right.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:22 pm UTC

IceIsNice wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:I'm just worried that... Megan sees dead people.

And Cugan were dead all along....

Maybe Neil_Boekend has been on the right track with his predictions of doom and gloom.

Perhaps the Long Night was merely a metaphor for Megan perishing from blood loss and Cueball finally succumbing to the brain-eating amoeba. They've been dead ever since.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

partingLance

Postby partingLance » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:23 pm UTC

StormAngel wrote:Its way past time for me to coma, but I'll post this first:
Spoiler:

Not sure if Steampunk fits the definition of vintage, but it looks neat.

It does, or it should; and it very definitely does. Awesomeful, even.

I was greatly cheered when steampunk came along. As a kid, one of my favourite TV shows was The Wild Wild West.

ETA: I'll join the Chorus of Worry over the decidedly ambiguous "I found people."
StratPlayer wrote:And at this very moment, someone on the Isle of Wight named Bungalo Bill is listening to the 'splat' made from using their family album to squash a beetle, that had ran, helter-skelter, straight for the wild honey pie made by his dear wife Prudence...

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:26 pm UTC

After Chirpy Molpy Wait, here's another repetitive ottification mostly done by searching and replacing. I was going to do it about the OTT (cakes and filks) but recently there's been a lot of discussion of Cuegan's dialogue, so,

'Neat' and 'Yeah'
an ottody of Rocks and Trees, by The Arrogant Worms

Our comic’s bigger than most
And if asked I boast
’cause I’m really proud
So I shout it loud
Wait for Megan and Cue
They will wait for you

Though they don't talk of history
Einstein or Socrates
traffic or politics
not even baby poo
Still what they say’s glorious…

Spoiler:
’cause they say
'Neat' and 'yeah'
And 'yeah' and 'neat'
And 'neat' and 'yeah'
And 'yeah' and 'neat'
And 'neat' and 'yeah'
And 'yeah' and 'neat'
And 'neat' and 'yeah'
And 'yeah' and 'neat'
And chirpchirpchirpchirp

All right left east up, everymolpy!

They say
'Neat' and 'yeah'
And 'yeah' and 'neat'
And 'neat' and 'yeah'
And 'yeah' and 'neat'
And 'neat' and 'yeah'
And 'yeah' and 'neat'
And 'neat' and 'yeah'
And 'yeah' and 'neat'
And PEOPLE! :shock:

The OTC, OTC, OTC, OTC, OTC, OTC, OTC, OTC
OTC, OTC, OTC, OTC, OTC, OTC, OTC, dialogue!

I realised while writing this (specifically, the replacements for 'water') that all of their particularly common words are monosyllabic.

Edited to add this so I can remove an accidental double post:

Davidy wrote:You're presupposing that Randal began this with the advance knowledge that there would be a vast following that would, and could, spend hours microanalyzing every nuance of his drawings.

I know this wasn't directed at me, but I'd say Randall was quite aware that he has such an audience, yes. He's been doing xkcd for a while; I think he knows his audience by now.
Last edited by Angelastic on Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:38 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

DrSamCarter

Re: (Anyone?)

Postby DrSamCarter » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:41 pm UTC

Blindposting from NP1010, but there are several reasons why it's unlikely I'll be repeating something ...

Khrushy wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:No I'm in this region.

You just melted my brain. I'm originally from Tasmania, and I've never seen it snow like that even down there.

And yes Kazza3, the Northern Hemisphere knows how to do winters - evil evil things >_>

Ah, Khrushy, clearly you don't remember the great snowfall of 1985, when there was snow on the Tasman Bridge in Hobart and somebody actually skied across the bridge.

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:43 pm UTC

Prediction (artist's view):

ETA: How do you reduce an image that doesn't fit into the post? (Not with "width=x", as I just learned.)
ETA2: I googled it and found the answer. Sorry.
ETA3: No, it didn't work. Still too big...
Last edited by Ximenez on Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:06 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

nsub1

Postby nsub1 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:58 pm UTC

FAKEONG!
Spoiler:
I figured out the spoiler thingy!
48341c17a7ab0ec31c12badc26d2b799abd84e646d691370997d87fa0bbdfa84.png
NOPE
Last edited by nsub1 on Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

thirds

Postby thirds » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:00 pm UTC

and people found me GONG

Must still be some distance off, with no vertical obstacles between.

Also, cueball is freaky fast climbing up that ladder.
Last edited by thirds on Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:01 pm UTC

Is she pointing at us? :shock:
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:05 pm UTC

Image *waves at Megan*

Another neat neat neat ottification, Angelastic!
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:09 pm UTC

Cueball can climb faster because his leg isn't injured.

I wonder if they'll speak the same language as the people she sees.

"Hello. My leg is hurt. Can you help?"

"Qu'avez-vous dit?"
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”