1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Vytron » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:32 pm UTC

- Blidpost NP1009 -

Thanks Rule110 for all your Power-Ups, I'll keep looking for the next ones!

BlitzGirl wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
Quicksilver wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:I have compiled the next several ONGs for your convenience:
Spoiler:
Geez, you're fast.

Like lightning, you might say.

:wink: That's a great compliment coming from someone named Quicksilver!

Arky wrote:EWP: Blitzgirl, that's hilarious (but do we really need to give the GLR even more ideas on how to troll us?)

Wasn't my idea. Blame pelrigg:
pelrigg, (snipped to show my inspiration) wrote:
They'll...have a "Neat", "Wow", "Yeah" conversation for 62 frames...

I should note that nothing special happens if you Wait and watch my gif for 62 frames...

No, really, nothing happens.

That "really" really sounded very suspicious, so I went and waited for 62 frames, and...

REALLY, nothing happens :wink: :wink:

EDIT - OMBG! accidental PagePope of The Future!!

I decree that from now on, all pagepopes should post a picture, unless they decide to ignore my decree, or until they forget about it!

Also, Saturdays will now be known as Caturdays, here's the first picture!

Last edited by Vytron on Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:37 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

THANKS KARHELL!! :)

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:33 pm UTC

You know how I knew they hadn't gotten to the Ziggurat(?) yet? There were only two NP overnight; even with the weekend and US nighttime I figure there would be more excitement if they had arrived. I think it's about noon or a little after in-comic.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

sford

Postby sford » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:38 pm UTC

Molpy UP

*yawn* Much to do today, little time to do it.

Portal: I've always wanted to play it, but have never made time for computer games since my Zork days.

Linguistics: the analysis so far is fascinating. I even audited an intro linguistics course in university, oh so many years ago. Regretfully, I never made time to continue.

TdF: I did a lot of bike riding as a yoot. And while I never would have made it into the big times (or even the medium times), I sometimes wish I had done a bit of competition. You guessed it - no time.

"Gee sford, that's a lot of off-topic rumination for somebody who only has forty-something posts. And please don't insult our intelligence by making the obvious reply."

Ok.

But what I *will* say is that many of the things I wish I had made time for are not really that important. Games, academics, athletics - nothing wrong with them. But for me, something's missing. Creativity.

The OTC has inspired such a burst of creativity among the OTTers, that I've been making time to hang here. Not enough time - I've probably only read 20% of the posts - but the manips, the filks, the repartee that I *have* seen ... I love it. Oh, and the hats! (Just this morning I noticed BlueCrab's hat - for some reason it seems so perfect to me.) I may not be a power contributor, but I'm here for the long haul. :-)

Wow, not sure where that outburst came from. (pointer hovers over the cancel button) Awww, screw it. There's no fool like an old fool; I might as well excel at *something*.

Molpy on, Megabeanball:
Spoiler:

P.S. - regarding long threads (not that it's a competition), I'll note that whole point of "unhatched fishes and turtle excluding devices" was to, "... have a thread here for random thoughts so that a whole lot of space isn't wasted on pointless threads." (Quoted from first post.) So, in spite of probably having more off-topic diversions than average, I think OTT is the clear topic-based thread winner within XKCD land, and I suspect is at least a contender for the World Cup (if you exclude topics whose goal became to simply be very long).

Not that it's a competition...

ETA PPS: upon re-reading, I see I sold short gaming, academics, and athletics. Virtually every serious endeavor requires creativity, and it is partly in recognizing that creativity that you gain the most enjoyment. I guess a non-initiant has more trouble identifying creative brilliance in highly-specialized fields, and it is more-obvious in a place like this. So I guess the conclusion is that I'm lazy and want my creativity spoon-fed to me.
Spoiler:
Last edited by sford on Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:53 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

HES

Postby HES » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:43 pm UTC

moody7277 wrote:You know how I knew they hadn't gotten to the Ziggurat(?) yet? There were only two NP overnight; even with the weekend and US nighttime I figure there would be more excitement if they had arrived. I think it's about noon or a little after in-comic.

Yeah, dullH OTC and the weekend makes for a slow OTT

sford wrote:But what I *will* say is that many of the things I wish I had made time for are not really that important. Games, academics, athletics - nothing wrong with them. But for me, something's missing. Creativity.

The OTC has inspired such a burst of creativity among the OTTers, that I've been making time to hang here. Not enough time - I've probably only read 20% of the posts - but the manips, the filks, the repartee that I *have* seen ... I love it. Oh, and the hats! (Just this morning I noticed BlueCrab's hat - for some reason it seems so perfect to me.) I may not be a power contributor, but I'm here for the long haul. :-)

I would say, gaming may not be creative but making them certainly is. If a game is done right, it gives players the tools to be creative - the steam workshop is a good collection of examples.

While they may not be important, "Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time"

Edited to remove double post. Seriously?
He/Him/His Image

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:00 pm UTC

Pessimistic prediction:

Cuegan and Beardo finally meet.
"Hi! Do you understand what we say?"
"Yes."
"Can you explain to us why the sea is rising?"
"Yes."
"Will you tell us how to fix it?"
"Yes."

Thus ends Time.

HES

Postby HES » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:00 pm UTC

WalkONG alONG without talkONG being borONG
Edited to link to MAL
Last edited by HES on Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:37 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
He/Him/His Image

HES

Postby HES » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:06 pm UTC

Ximenez wrote:Pessimistic prediction:

"Yes."
"Yes."
"Yes."

Thus ends Time.

That's not how these things work; Beardo will know, but before telling them he will send them on a quest for the magical sand timer of the molpy people. He'll give them a stick with +1 Thwapping and they'll spend the rest of the outside year jumping through hoops (sometimes literally). And once Time ends, it will restart on a higher difficulty setting.
He/Him/His Image

sford

Postby sford » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:18 pm UTC

HES wrote:I would say, gaming may not be creative but making them certainly is. If a game is done right, it gives players the tools to be creative - the steam workshop is a good collection of examples.

Yeah, exactly the point of my PPS (which may have crossed your edit in TIME. Tedious details of my thinking spoiled:
Spoiler:
At first I was willing to concede game *design* as being a creative endeavor, but was more-skeptical about game playing. After all, you're just *discovering* somebody else's creativity, using canned tools designed for that purpose. Is that real creativity?

Well, yes. Unless you also think that pianists are not creative. They are just using mechanics designed by somebody else to create notes that composers throughout the ages have used before you to create chords and phrasings which are part of a musician's standard toolbox. Heck, when a pianist plays a piece written hundreds of years ago, you, the listener, can derive new insight and involvement in the piece through the artist's unique interpretation. Of course, we give the original composer much of the creative credit, but an inspired performer gets a fair share as well. Without being performed, what has a composer created? Whoa, that was deep!

Without knowing much about gaming, I assume the same thing can be. I've watched my son play Halo, and sometimes smile at the unique way he chooses to resolve a given battle.

Ditto Lingustics and TdF.

So, do I even have a point remaining?

Yes, if only that OTT is also a place of wonderful creativity. If I could lift a galaxy, I would tip my hat to youse guys.

HES

Postby HES » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:22 pm UTC

sford wrote:If I could lift a galaxy, I would tip my hat to youse guys.

And a testament to the thread that this awesome line actually makes sense :D
He/Him/His Image

odaiwai

Postby odaiwai » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:23 pm UTC

HES wrote:
Ximenez wrote:Pessimistic prediction:

"Yes."
"Yes."
"Yes."

Thus ends Time.

That's not how these things work; Beardo will know, but before telling them he will send them on a quest for the magical sand timer of the molpy people. He'll give them a stick with +1 Thwapping and they'll spend the rest of the outside year jumping through hoops (sometimes literally). And once Time ends, it will restart on a higher difficulty setting.

so they'll get to Beardo, and he'll have an exclamation mark over him and send them on a quest for 10 molpy skins and 10 rabtor pellets?

Arky

Postby Arky » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:24 pm UTC

It occurred to me that given the amount of time it must take the GLR to draw one Outsider day's worth of newpix during the sections where a lot of new and intricate stuff has to be drawn, he has to have these stretches where he just has to draw a few new, sparse backgrounds and move the figures across them for 40 or 50 newpix allow him to generate a couple of days of newpix in a couple of hours whereas the intricate sections would need at least a couple of hours per day's worth of newpix. We no longer have one single background to slowly update, or a journey across backgrounds which can be constructed with straight lines and a fill tool... Time must be taking up a non-trivial amount of the GLR's time... a full day a week, perhaps. Couldn't even do it in that without these relatively quiet stretches. Also gives us a chance to catch up on the OTT!
Veteran of the One True Thread. And now the Too True Thread?

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:37 pm UTC

HES wrote:That's not how these things work; Beardo will know, but before telling them he will send them on a quest for the magical sand timer of the molpy people. He'll give them a stick with +1 Thwapping and they'll spend the rest of the outside year jumping through hoops (sometimes literally). And once Time ends, it will restart on a higher difficulty setting.

You are right! I even found the Beanies' secret 20-sided die!

Redundant (and I mean it):
Spoiler:
20-sided-die.png

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:41 pm UTC

Arky wrote:RE: "The Time To Draw Time"
Spoiler:
It occurred to me that given the amount of time it must take the GLR to draw one Outsider day's worth of newpix during the sections where a lot of new and intricate stuff has to be drawn, he has to have these stretches where he just has to draw a few new, sparse backgrounds and move the figures across them for 40 or 50 newpix allow him to generate a couple of days of newpix in a couple of hours whereas the intricate sections would need at least a couple of hours per day's worth of newpix. We no longer have one single background to slowly update, or a journey across backgrounds which can be constructed with straight lines and a fill tool... Time must be taking up a non-trivial amount of the GLR's time... a full day a week, perhaps. Couldn't even do it in that without these relatively quiet stretches. Also gives us a chance to catch up on the OTT!

I'm too lazy to find the quote, but Chuck Jones has said that Warner Brothers gave them six weeks to do each cartoon. So they would slap together a couple of "throwaways" and steal the extra time to make the good ones, like "What's Opera, Doc?" and "Rabbit of Seville."
Sort of the same thing.

(still waiting on more Beanish)
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

nerdsniped

Wistful Predictions

Postby nerdsniped » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:50 pm UTC

The dawn of the Beanie Era has led to lots of fun and excitement in both the OTC and OTT. However, I've also found it unsettling in some hard-to-explain way. I think this is because it heralds a very different era in the OTC -- in some ways, even more than the jump from the Sandcastle Era to the Journey Era. After much reflection, I have a few wistful predictions (seaish, feel free to skip):

1. We are not going to learn Beanish. Everyone has been doing amazing work analyzing the speeches to date, even by the high standards of the OTT. I've been having a grand time following along. But if we're going to learn more than a handful of words, we're going to need a LOT more input to work with, and GLR is not giving it to us. As people have been noting, the Beanies for the most part are just as taciturn as Cuegan, and many easy opportunities to toss in a bit of dialog are being spurned. If Randall had built Beanish as a puzzle that he wanted us to solve, I can't think that this is how he'd go about it. I have to believe that it's not meant as a puzzle, but only as an expository device to show that the Beanies come from a very different culture than Cuegan. He's developed enough of it to make it look "right", but hasn't developed a full-blown language and isn't planning to teach it to us.

Of course it's still great fun to dissect it. I just don't think we'll wind up "solving" the language in any full sense.

2. Megan and Cueball are not going to get it together. Maybe they're related, maybe they're too young (though that feels like a stretch), maybe it's just not part of the story, but if it was going to happen it would have happened by now. With other people around, the moment has passed.

3. Time is at least half over. This is the prediction I'm least confident of, but the new era feels less "sustainable" to me. Partly from a story perspective: we're building toward a climax. This has already been said (earlier, and better) by others, but now with the advent of the Beanies it seems harder to escape. But also from an authoring perspective: we have more characters and elements entering the story, we're going to be learning a lot more about the world (or so it seems -- GLR has fooled us on that one many a time), and I have to think the workload of extending the story and drawing the newpix is going up. People have commented on the increasing amount of detail -- we're also now getting an increasing pace of plot development, more characters on-frame, and more elements in the world. That has to be more work, and it's hard for me to see how the story can get back to just Cuegan on a near-static background for long periods of time.

I don't want to end on a down note, so I'll finish by saying that I fully expect everyone to carry on analyzing, discussing, OTTifying, sidetracking, and generally Waiting For It, and I fully expect to enjoy the heck out of Waiting With Y'All. Even if Time does eventually end, This won't.

OK, what's it to be? The, uh, foamy maiden? Or is that chocolate I smell burning on the grill? Wait, that can't be right.
New to the Time thread? Click here!

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

"Expect friskiness." -- keithl

TimeLurker

Re: Wistful Predictions

Postby TimeLurker » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:00 pm UTC

nerdsniped wrote:The dawn of the Beanie Era has led to lots of fun and excitement in both the OTC and OTT. However, I've also found it unsettling in some hard-to-explain way. I think this is because it heralds a very different era in the OTC -- in some ways, even more than the jump from the Sandcastle Era to the Journey Era. After much reflection, I have a few wistful predictions (seaish, feel free to skip):

1. We are not going to learn Beanish.
Spoiler:
Everyone has been doing amazing work analyzing the speeches to date, even by the high standards of the OTT. I've been having a grand time following along. But if we're going to learn more than a handful of words, we're going to need a LOT more input to work with, and GLR is not giving it to us. As people have been noting, the Beanies for the most part are just as taciturn as Cuegan, and many easy opportunities to toss in a bit of dialog are being spurned. If Randall had built Beanish as a puzzle that he wanted us to solve, I can't think that this is how he'd go about it. I have to believe that it's not meant as a puzzle, but only as an expository device to show that the Beanies come from a very different culture than Cuegan. He's developed enough of it to make it look "right", but hasn't developed a full-blown language and isn't planning to teach it to us.

Of course it's still great fun to dissect it. I just don't think we'll wind up "solving" the language in any full sense.

2. Megan and Cueball are not going to get it together.
Spoiler:
Maybe they're related, maybe they're too young (though that feels like a stretch), maybe it's just not part of the story, but if it was going to happen it would have happened by now. With other people around, the moment has passed.

3. Time is at least half over.
Spoiler:
This is the prediction I'm least confident of, but the new era feels less "sustainable" to me. Partly from a story perspective: we're building toward a climax. This has already been said (earlier, and better) by others, but now with the advent of the Beanies it seems harder to escape. But also from an authoring perspective: we have more characters and elements entering the story, we're going to be learning a lot more about the world (or so it seems -- GLR has fooled us on that one many a time), and I have to think the workload of extending the story and drawing the newpix is going up. People have commented on the increasing amount of detail -- we're also now getting an increasing pace of plot development, more characters on-frame, and more elements in the world. That has to be more work, and it's hard for me to see how the story can get back to just Cuegan on a near-static background for long periods of time.

I don't want to end on a down note, so I'll finish by saying that I fully expect everyone to carry on analyzing, discussing, OTTifying, sidetracking, and generally Waiting For It, and I fully expect to enjoy the heck out of Waiting With Y'All. Even if Time does eventually end, This won't.

OK, what's it to be? The, uh, foamy maiden? Or is that chocolate I smell burning on the grill? Wait, that can't be right.

My thoughts (mostly just for funnies) on your thoughts.
1. I think you're right, Randall did not intend to invent a language, but will eventually give us enough info to make it one. He'll then use our "translated"/created Beanon to do actual dialog.
2. This just hurts. I still believe in Cuegan as an item. Again, you're probably right though.
3. Yes, it feels like a climax, but I don't see how the loose ends can be tied up. I predict a volcanoe or astroid kills everyone, or a black screen with no explanation/actual ending.
Voice of the Silent
Owner of the contents of Cueball's head
Lurking Time-Ninja of the Past-Post

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:02 pm UTC

Don't fall down, MegONG!

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:06 pm UTC

nerdsniped wrote: 1. We are not going to learn Beanish. ...

Agreed, annoyingly. That's been part of my grumping recently -- there should be more Beanish if that's not the case. I just hope that when Time ends (heresy?) that GLR will have a "how I did it" explanation of certain points...

nerdsniped wrote: 2. Megan and Cueball are not going to get it together.

Also agreed. Time seems to be more of a quest thing, not a romantic drama.

nerdsniped wrote: 3. Time is at least half over. This is the prediction I'm least confident of...

THIS one I disagree with. At the same point in a similar story arc, the party, now assembled, was about to meet Strider at Bree. Lord of the Rings was, in fact, more than 200 pages long...

nerdsniped wrote: Even if Time does eventually end, This won't.

Which leads to my thoughts on the "longest thread" subthread: The longest XKCD thread, only twice as long as this one, started in 2007. Do the math -- if Time IS half over, then to get the award of longest XKCD thread, we just have to...
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:09 pm UTC

nerdsniped wrote: 2. Megan and Cueball are not going to get it together.

In fact, I'm confident that they are siblings.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:11 pm UTC

TimeLurker wrote:
nerdsniped wrote:2. Megan and Cueball are not going to get it together.
Spoiler:
Maybe they're related, maybe they're too young (though that feels like a stretch), maybe it's just not part of the story, but if it was going to happen it would have happened by now. With other people around, the moment has passed.

My thoughts (mostly just for funnies) on your thoughts.

2. This just hurts. I still believe in Cuegan as an item. Again, you're probably right though.

My thought is that they won't get together because they are together. The only argument I see against that is that they are apparently both comfortable at the same temperature.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:11 pm UTC

NetWeasel wrote:<SNIP>
Which leads to my thoughts on the "longest thread" subthread: The longest XKCD thread, only twice as long as this one, started in 2007. Do the math -- if Time IS half over, then to get the award of longest XKCD thread, we just have to...

Have to what?!?!? If you know the secrete then why won't you tell us. Come on, it's eating me up inside. Just tell us.
Voice of the Silent
Owner of the contents of Cueball's head
Lurking Time-Ninja of the Past-Post

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:16 pm UTC

TimeLurker wrote:Have to what?!?!? If you know the secrete then why won't you tell us. Come on, it's eating me up inside. Just tell us.

Spoiler:
Wait for it.

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:18 pm UTC

TimeLurker wrote:Have to what?!?!? If you know the secrete then why won't you tell us. Come on, it's eating me up inside. Just tell us.

OK. I'll let you in on it if you really think you're ready...
Spoiler:
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

sford

Postby sford » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:28 pm UTC

NetWeasle: how long have you had that AWESOME avatar? (One disadvantage of not paying close attention is missing obvious things for WAY too long.)

Megball: Although I am a romantic at heart (and always want to see the good guy get the girl), my hope is that they are brother and sister. My sister is 5 years older than me, and woefully it wasn't until I broke 50 that I discovered just how AWESOME a person she is! Since that time, we have done some traveling, and I really regret that we didn't do some mountain climbing back when our knees would have allowed us to. As hackneyed as this sounds, it is so cool to have a friend of the opposite sex where there truly is no romantic baggage. (Not that there is anything wrong with romantic baggage; I'm very fond of it.)

Megan and Cueball can find plenty of fish in the sea. My fondest wish for them is that they have the kind of relationship that my sister and I have only recently discovered. :-)

Explanations: has Randall ever made any attempt to explain any of his work? Ok, there are a few nice comments in his book #0. But I've never seen anything like a Directors Cut from him. I don't follow the fora; does he ever post?

Edit: clarity
Edit2: Interesting - after the first edit, the post didn't say, "last edited by...". Is that because nobody had posted in the interim? Maybe nobody (but me) even viewed it? Let's see what it says this time: nothing, edited 1 times, or edited 2 times. Predictions anybody?
Last edited by sford on Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:34 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:33 pm UTC

*Yawns*
Raptor up!

Thanks for all the feedback on my video, everyone. I added in the annotations because I felt a little stupid after missing obvious solutions on two of the parts, so I thought a little self-deprecating humor might be appropriate :P Of course, I have something like 700 hours of portal/portal 2 under my belt (possibly including time when the game was open for custom map testing purposes) so even on my worst day I probably seem pretty skilled to the non-players here. Actually, I did a pretty neat multistep fling while trying to get to that first platform that I kept missing, but it made that segment too long so I cut it out. And I didn't want to seem like I was showing off, honest!

Also, Earthling on Mars, glad you like your hat! :D The ratio of saturn's ring size to its actual size makes it look almost exactly like a wide-brimmed straw hat, which was perfect for my purposes. I wonder where else hats can be found in nature?

Finally, I wanted to draw something last night, and I decided that dragons can't be the only thing I learn how to draw, so I drew a molpy!
Spoiler:

HES

Postby HES » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:49 pm UTC

@nerdsniped, the big issue is that we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions...

@Chronos a dragon of many talents!

ETA: It's touching 30°C here in the UK. I don't know how you OTTers in warmer climates cope
He/Him/His Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:54 pm UTC

Molpy up!
Spoiler:

Happy 100th, akacat!
Spoiler:
Happy 1700th, BlitzGirl!
Spoiler:

jjjdavidson wrote:
mscha wrote:⁴ analysis of the OTT/OTF proportion, jjjdavidson! (But are deleted posts the only ‘holes’ in the number sequence? I could imagine that a post ID is assigned as soon as you start writing your post (or perhaps when first previewing it), and if you never post it, that's a lost ID.)

I've got pretty strong empirical evidence that post numbers are assigned when the post is finally submitted, not before.
Spoiler:
If post numbers were assigned when first begun or first previewed, then at least some of the OTT posts would be significantly out of order. A ketchup post that someone worked on for half an hour would have a lower number than someone else's LOL response that took 30 seconds. (Some of my posts would definitely be out of order; I've walked away for half an hour or so with a preview already on screen.)

I ran a check on the 42,430 OTT posts I collected for that chart, and of that entire list only 46 were out of sequence. In all 46 cases, two posts with the same post time were swapped by the fora software. In 45 cases, the swapped posts had numbers that differed by 1; in the other case three posts all had the same time; the three numbers were sequential, but the highest-numbered post appeared first.

My upload program doesn't actually log on to the fora, so its times are only to the minute, but I spot checked about ten of the 46, and in every case the post times were identical to the second. One of those spot-checks, in fact, was the disputed ONG that upset Professor Doctor charlie_grumbles; his post number #3386875 at present lists before Kieryn's post #3386874, but both posts carry a time of 1:00:22 am UTC.

Thanks, that's convincing evidence.

Thanks to ChronosDragon and NoMouse for their portal game play video's. ⁴!

A molbbit!! Good catch on the first molvement, IceIsNice!
As others have noted, a missed opportunity that Cuegan + Beanies haven't exchanged their words for “molbbit”. Indeed, it looks like the GLR doesn't intend us to ‘crack’ Beanon, otherwise He'd almost certainly have given this to us.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

NetWeasel

Re: Time

Postby NetWeasel » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:54 pm UTC

sford wrote:NetWeasel: how long have you had that AWESOME avatar?

Right about the time the transliteralists got started...
I used to have photoshop, but lost it (long story) so I'm now just GIMPing along...
I'll probably do more to it later.

One the Beanglish Era is over, I may switch back to my original one:
Spoiler:
ImageI kinda like the defiant beret at jaunty angle...

sford wrote:After the first edit, the post didn't say, "last edited by...". Is that because nobody had posted in the interim? Maybe nobody (but me) even viewed it?

As far as I've been able to tell, the program thinks that until someone else posts, no one has seen yours yet, so edits don't count. I'm guessing that's to give time for quick porfreading corrections.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:01 pm UTC

Still waitONG for something to happen it.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

akacat

Postby akacat » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:19 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:
akacat wrote:And now, just so it doesn't look like I'm just fangirling all over other OTTers, would anyone care to weigh in on the possible meaning of the punchline of this Outside comic? It's driving me crazy. And while that is a fairly short drive, I do need to get home to do some chores.

It appears to be expressing the sentiment that what's really wrong with American culture is that people don't shoot off fireworks all night, all year 'round. :? :? :?

That was all I got out of it as well, and with exactly the same reaction. :?

suzi wrote:Thought of something inane. A quick google search for "longest forum thread"1 gives lots of varying results, but I'm wondering if the OTT could make a run for it. The longest one I found up is entirely about being the longest thread ever, which is sorta dumb. The OTT has a much nobler purpose.

A forum I used to frequent generated one thread that reached version 14 in just under two years. Each version was capped at 50,000 posts, to keep the hardware-impaired database from going ka-blooey. If you count it as a single thread (which it was in spirit), it was the longest I'd ever seen. It did not stick to a single topic, it was more of a group stream-of-conscious crossed with an eternal cocktail party.

mscha wrote:Happy 100th, akacat!
Spoiler:

Thank you! Mmm, cake. My favorite. :D

NetWeasel wrote:One the Beanglish Era is over, I may switch back to my original one:
Spoiler:
ImageI kinda like the defiant beret at jaunty angle...

You might even say it's a defiant bear beret. :wink:
Much as I like the bear, I'd like to put in my vote for staying with your current avatar. When the beanish era has passed, it will still be a historical artifact.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:19 pm UTC

NetWeasel wrote:I'm guessing that's to give time for quick porfreading corrections.

Only for quick proofreading, though. Image

Sorry... Here, have a zoomed-in molbbit.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:23 pm UTC

sford wrote:Molpy UP
Spoiler:

True Facts About The Naked Mole Rat
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:30 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
NetWeasel wrote:I'm guessing that's to give time for quick porfreading corrections.

Only for quick proofreading, though. Image

Back in my professional "Will 'Shop For Food" days, we started using the term porfreader/porfreading ironically, and it kinda stuck. At one point I designed an ad for a job opening, with "Porfreader Needed" as the heading. If an applicant did not mention the problem, they were out of the running...

Had a hell of a time convincing the bosses to run it that way, tho....

akacat wrote:Much as I like the bear, I'd like to put in my vote for staying with your current avatar. When the beanish era has passed, it will still be a historical artifact.

If we can ever get translations, I might change which words are there.
At this point I can't help but be reminded of the guy who loved his tattoo of really cool oriental characters, until he was told it translated as "stupid round-eye" or some such.

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:44 pm UTC

SinusPi wrote:
ucim wrote:Hey! That's my password!

Funny you should mention "easy" passwords. I had just a few days ago changed some of my passwords to the likes of "Meet Claire at 10:30". Good luck guessing that the yellow Post-It note on my monitor is not a reminder of a meeting, but actually a password...

Blindposting while mini-blitzing, but saw this, and had to comment. . .ingenious. :D I like it!
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:48 pm UTC

Flado wrote:
mscha wrote:Oh, almost forgot:
http://tinyurl.com/mnukc3z

Cool site, mscha! Lemme try it:
Spoiler:

I've been skipping the thread, so what site do people use for all these text-manipulated images? (Couldn't find the original mention.)
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Ketchup post!

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:49 pm UTC

Starting with dessert first:
AluisioASG wrote:Happy 1700th, BlitzGirl!
Spoiler:

ZoomanSP wrote:Oh, and happy 1700, BlitzGirl!
Spoiler:

mscha wrote:Happy 1700th, BlitzGirl!
Spoiler:

Thanks all! :D Those are some awefulsome cakes!

yappobiscuits wrote:
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:*waits for the rabtor to morph into a bird*

Woohoo!
(Brings a whole new meaning to the phrase "molpy up")
And happy 1700th, BlitzGirl! I made you a cake, but I can't seem to find i-
Spoiler:
Randalldammit! This is what happens when you let your redundakitties loose all over the chirpin' place! *sigh*
Oh dear. But they're too cute to be mad at. Image
I'll keep them busy chasing after winged rabtors - they have to earn that cake around here!

ChronosDragon wrote:Finally, I wanted to draw something last night, and I decided that dragons can't be the only thing I learn how to draw, so I drew a molpy!
Spoiler:

D'aww!! :mrgreen: Such a cute molpy! Wowterful drawing, ChronosDragon!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

nerdsniped

Postby nerdsniped » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:50 pm UTC

TimeLurker wrote:My thoughts (mostly just for funnies) on your thoughts.
1. I think you're right, Randall did not intend to invent a language, but will eventually give us enough info to make it one. He'll then use our "translated"/created Beanon to do actual dialog.
3. Yes, it feels like a climax, but I don't see how the loose ends can be tied up. I predict a volcanoe or astroid kills everyone, or a black screen with no explanation/actual ending.

1: That would be awesome.
2. Yeah, I was really rooting for them, too. (Insert appropriately frowny smiley.)
3: I also have no idea how he could wrap it up. Sometimes, when a book or movie feels like that... it winds up not getting wrapped up, in any satisfactory way (e.g. The Matrix sequels -- if they had made any, which of course they didn't). Other times, something amazing happens (e.g. Memento). We must have faith in GLR.

SBN wrote:
nerdsniped wrote:2. Megan and Cueball are not going to get it together.

My thought is that they won't get together because they are together. The only argument I see against that is that they are apparently both comfortable at the same temperature.

Ooh... I hadn't thought of that, but it works, doesn't it? Given the way the OTC is clearly only showing us a slice of their lives (and not just in the 2-D / 3-D sense), it's entirely possible that they're already together and we're just not seeing any direct evidence in-pix.

The apparent temperature compatibility is a flaw in this theory, but perhaps the clothes we don't see Cueball wearing are a light t-shirt, while the clothes we don't see Megan wearing are two or three layers of fleece. That would pretty much jibe with my wife and I in an outdoor environment.

HES wrote:@nerdsniped, the big issue is that we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions...

Sigged.

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

nerdsniped

Postby nerdsniped » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:02 pm UTC

ScrollONG to the right

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:10 pm UTC

Ooh, I see we're back to predicting the End of Time again. How cute! :mrgreen:

This makes me all nostalgic for my blitz. Have a pastpost:
libra, Newpage 10 wrote:It's almost 23:00 GMT now. For those of you who will still be awake while this thing goes through its final frames, can you please post the addresses of the frames right up to the end, as far as possible to? I think this thing will post its very last frame at either 07:30 tomorrow or 08:00. All times GMT.

At least, that's the guess I would hazard.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:14 pm UTC

So, they will be leaving the fifth panel since we last saw the tower. I am estimating another three before they get to the Ziggurat. That sound about right? Makes their ETA at about 10 newpix.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:19 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Ooh, I see we're back to predicting the End of Time again. How cute! :mrgreen:

I'm seeing it as the point where the sand castle is done, and Cueball exits stage left (about 125 frames in).
I guess that's it? Now we wait for the tide to wash the castle away?

Then the camera pans out.....

That's what I'm hoping for here -- the equivalent of "the camera pans out," and suddenly the story is over twice as big as we were hoping it would be.

Spoiler:
Yes, I'm hoping it will be twice as big as I'm hoping it will be...
http://xkcd.com/878
ETA: link (thanks!)

ETA: Link
Last edited by NetWeasel on Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:28 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”