1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

charlie_grumbles

Re: 1190: "Time" TdF Update

Postby charlie_grumbles » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:07 am UTC

I missed two days of racing so this will be brief.
A young rider wins a stage (Saturday), when the breakaway succeeds, and the tour leader wins one Sunday overpowering everyone. Froome is still in yellow having opened his lead a bit.
Spoiler:
A note about Friday's race. As I said Cavendish wore the red "dossard" Saturday as the winner of the fighting spirit award Friday. Actually, in a first for the TdF, the award was given to the entire Omega team. Cavendish was the only one to wear it, however.

Another note. The polka dot holder Pierre Rolland was given a penalty for holding on to the team car during the race for a bit. A couple of seconds is usually allowed, but this was different. He had been dropped by the peleton and was catching up. He went along the team car and his mechanic applied the "magic spanner" to fix an imaginary issue with his rear brake. If he really had a problem, this would be allowed, but it was just faking it. So a penalty, including time (10 seconds).

Stage 14 on Saturday
Matteo Trentin of Italy, riding for Omega Pharma-Quickstep, who was in a 14 man (originally 18) breakaway wins the day. There was little change in the standings overall for any of the Jerseys, except that Movistar rode well and is now second in the team classification. The breakaway started a bit late but held on to the end over many many climbs. Froome finished 7'17" later, but with all of the other GC riders, so retains yellow.

It is possible, actually, to carry the yellow jersey all the way to Paris, yet never win a stage. You have to be near the top every day and beaten by a different combination of riders, but it is possible.

The escapees also got all of the sprint and climbing points, but none was in competition for those jerseys either. Kwiatkowski keeps white as the best young rider.

Stage 15 on Sunday
This was a very long stage with an extreme finish atop Mont Ventoux. It was the longest stage in this years race (238km). It had five climbs but only the last was a real challenge. The early part of the race was very fast (over 50k/h during the second hour). A breakaway of 10, including Peter Sagan kept away for a long while, letting Sagan increase his lead for green over his rivals at the intermediate. He wears the green not because he is the best sprinter (Cavendish and Greipel vie for that honor), but because he is a very good sprinter and a superior all around rider. You have to get TO the sprint point, not just over the line to collect points.

Anyway, most of the breakaway was caught near the middle of the final climb (21k at 7.5%). At this point the peleton also starts to break apart. Sky finally seems to get it together and races hard in support of Froome. Their group starts expelling riders out the rear. Cadel Evans (past winner) is dropped with about 11 k to go. Andy Schleck went even earlier. Contador held on for a while, but is eventually dropped by Froome, leaves the last of his group (Quintana) behind with a bit over 1 k to ride. Froome wins by 29 seconds with Contador a minute 40 seconds back. It isn't often that the yellow jersey wins a stage. His rivals are usually attentive to any moves he makes. He will be hard to overtake if he can hold up for another week.

By reaching the top of Ventoux first, Froome also wins enough points in king of the mountains to take the lead for polkadots. Also Quintana Rojas (second place today) of Movistar takes back the white jersey from Kwiatkowski. Sylvan Chavanel, who instigated the breakaway and was last to be caught, gets the fighting spirit award. Saxo-Tinkoff has the team lead, with Movistar moving down to fourth.

I didn't do the excitement of this stage justice and had to glean this from the newsflashes. Sorry I missed it.

Tomorrow is a rest day. On Tuesday 168km with a three climbs, though not extreme. They are scheduled to start at 13:15 continental time, six hours earlier on the US east coast. The high mountains of the Alps start on Thursday.

ETA. How did I ever beat BlitzGirl to popishness? My decree, which shall extend beyond this page, is that you shall all have a marvelous time here and IRL all weekH
Last edited by charlie_grumbles on Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:10 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Arky

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Arky » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:09 am UTC

Ketched up! Looks like an eventful lunch for Cueball and Megan while I coma'd (and for the OTT as well; congrats on getting the survey map, I was thinking it was some sort of molecular diagram!)

ETA: Nice recap charlie! I coma'd very very late last night because I stayed up to watch. Quintana was valiant (especially considering he keeps attacking alone, whereas Froome is getting to ride 75% of the climbs behind his team before going out alone-if Quintana had stayed with Froome's peloton while say Valverde attacked, I suspect Quintana wins the stage), but Froome is just too good. Winning two mountain stages in dominant fashion... the rest day comes at a good time for Team Sky too, after the way they fell apart in the Pyrenees on the day after giving their all to propel Froome on that first stage he won. Froome's advantage is now simply that he has a big lead, should gain more time on the last time trial, and Sky can afford to let other "contenders" try to attack in the mountains and if they manage to stay away and gain a minute then so be it. I guess the only real chance for Froome to lose would be if Sky do let Team Belkin or Team Saxo get away on an attack on the Alpe D'Huez or the Col de Madeleine or something, either misjudge it or not have the legs as a team to chase it down, and lose literally 5 minutes+ to that attack. It seems unlikely to me.
Last edited by Arky on Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:24 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Veteran of the One True Thread. And now the Too True Thread?

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:15 am UTC

Newpostbump from NP1086:
odaiwai wrote:
HES wrote:
Ximenez wrote:Pessimistic prediction:

Cuegan and Beardo finally meet.
"Hi! Do you understand what we say?"
"Yes."
"Can you explain to us why the sea is rising?"
"Yes."
"Will you tell us how to fix it?"
"Yes."

Thus ends Time.

That's not how these things work; Beardo will know, but before telling them he will send them on a quest for the magical sand timer of the molpy people. He'll give them a stick with +1 Thwapping and they'll spend the rest of the outside year jumping through hoops (sometimes literally). And once Time ends, it will restart on a higher difficulty setting.

so they'll get to Beardo, and he'll have an exclamation mark over him and send them on a quest for 10 molpy skins and 10 rabtor pellets?

Welcome, odaiwai!
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Eternal Density

Then, just to be sure...

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:17 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:
Spoiler:
More WalkONG

ETA: Oh and congratulations on you 1200th post ED! Have some Molpy Cake!
Spoiler:
Well its a Molpy eating cake anyway. And when you complain that it's not your 1200 post yet it will be anyway.
I was planning to write "but I'm not up to 1200... except now I am" but then I read your spoiler and saw you made that joke for me :P So I won't say that.
Um. Thanks!
The River is Small!
Spoiler:
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:19 am UTC

Firstpostbump from NP1093:
Fictioneer wrote:First time poster here (throw me forward, anybody?) but constant lurker on the OTT since the first hours of the OTC when I saw the image change in front of my eyes and was all "Whoa!". I knew I would finally de-lurk this wipend at last after I realized I was using "Molpy up!" and "Molpy down!" and all the lingo at home out loud to myself (and my meowlpies). I know naught about hashes and code, but I'm endlessly fascinated by all the knowledge and creativity here and hope I'll have something to contribute sometime.

I've finally been compelled to de-lurk at this particular time because I just had to say how moving it is to see SBN's posts about re-homing the wolpies. It truly takes a village to take care of rescued creatures and I applaud you!

Welcome, Fictioneer!
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:22 am UTC

Congrats on your 1200th, ED! (And, since 7 messages ago, over half in the OTT!)
I had a cake prepared for you, but ... you ninja'd me yourself. Oh well, here's another one.
Spoiler:
Last edited by mscha on Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:24 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

b2bomberkrh

Postby b2bomberkrh » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:23 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:Just had a couple of possible ideas for the speech.

First we know sea water is water with a 3 in front. Could the 3 mean salt? The healing paste had a 3 in front of it and some people use salt for healing even though I don't think it is the best medicine.

Another idea I had was Fish. They might have been eating fresh water fish for lunch and the healing paste could be something taken from some kind of sea fish. This is backed up by the fact that when trying to add to what they were eating he said the word we think is the word for sea. Also we are near rivers and fish is a likely food source. The fish they were eating may be dried and processed a bit to make it last longer for traveling though.

I actually thought they were probably eating some sort of vegetable or plant, since most homeopathic medicines are derived from plants. I thought maybe the medicine name was beetroot paste, or something like that.

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:32 am UTC

Just in case there was any doubt about the meaning of the map, here's a portion of the map of the Great Trigonometric Survey of India. It took 60 years, starting in the early 1800s.

Link to a larger and higher resolution map.

redundant
Spoiler:
greattrigsurvey.png
Last edited by Rule110 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:38 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:33 am UTC

I've done a quick look at how easy it would be for us to combine voice overs into the OTC. To minimize the work needed and make it simple going forward I think I've worked out how to do it using command line tools like ffmpeg. Technical stuff following so you can skip this spoiler.
Spoiler:
Basic steps are to record audio for selected frames into separate files per frame named with the frame numbers. To do this a volunteer voice actor just watches the OTC in maybe geekwagon and pauses it at each line their character speaks and says the lines and plays again. This one long audio file is then cut up into frame segments by someone skilled with audio editing.

The folder of audio files is compressed up and sent to someone with all the time frames and skills in command line scripting and they create a folder with all the current Time images and the audio files with matching file name format like 1.png and 1.wav. Then they run a script that does the following things:

For each xxxx.png file check if there is a xxxx.wav file and if so run this:

Code: Select all

ffmpeg -loop 1 -y -i 1.png -i 1.wav -vcodec mpeg2video -shortest 1.mpg

else use a fixed length silent audio file to make a silent frame of that set length

ffmpeg -loop 1 -y -i 1.png -i silent.wav -vcodec mpeg2video -shortest 1.mpg

These ffmpeg commands create a short movie with the static picture with the input audio.
I've picked this video format because it can be joined by simply concatenating the files which is very quick and easy. So the script just concat's all the xxxx.mpg files together in order now.

cat out.mpg xxxx.mpg > out.mpg

The output mpg file is then run through ffmpeg again and encoded to a more compressed mp4 file and combined with a soundtrack audio file to give backing music.

The reason we go though all these steps is that the process is repeatable as we add more frames. This means the video can be re rendered at will and then manually uploaded online when required. To change or add to the voice overs and background Molpy sounds we just keep adding and changing the set of audio files and the script does the rest for us. Also if we want to make it pause on set frames that have no audio we just create a set of different length silent clips and copy them to frame number files as needed to set that frames run time. Once most of the timings are sorted for the frames the background music track can be timed to the audio better.

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:36 am UTC

cellocgw, I think you never got any cake for your 500th!
Happy belated 500...
Spoiler:
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Eternal Density

...she ran around the other trees a few more times too.

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:38 am UTC

mscha wrote:Congrats on your 1200th, ED! (And, since 7 messages ago, over half in the OTT!)
I had a cake prepared for you, but ... you ninja'd me yourself. Oh well, here's another one.
Spoiler:
LOL I never expected to be a cake ninja! Wow that's pretty funny. Thanks for finding another :D
And I'm glad to have reached the over-half-in-OTT point :D
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:42 am UTC

Rule110 wrote:Just in case there was any doubt about the meaning of the map, here's a portion of the map of the Great Trigonometric Survey of India. It took 60 years, starting in the early 1800s.

Good find, Rule110! That does really look very similar to the beanie map.
Last edited by mscha on Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:42 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:42 am UTC

Thanks for throwing these forward, mscha
mscha wrote:Newpostbump from NP1086:
odaiwai wrote:so they'll get to Beardo, and he'll have an exclamation mark over him and send them on a quest for 10 molpy skins and 10 rabtor pellets?

Welcome, odaiwai!

Indeed, I was hoping you'd delurk, when I saw your interests in your profile this morning. (Hope that's not too stalkerish, 'twas just idle curiosity because only a few were online at the time.)
mscha wrote:Firstpostbump from NP1093:
Fictioneer wrote:First time poster here (throw me forward, anybody?) but constant lurker on the OTT since the first hours of the OTC when I saw the image change in front of my eyes and was all "Whoa!". I knew I would finally de-lurk this wipend at last after I realized I was using "Molpy up!" and "Molpy down!" and all the lingo at home out loud to myself (and my meowlpies). I know naught about hashes and code, but I'm endlessly fascinated by all the knowledge and creativity here and hope I'll have something to contribute sometime.

I've finally been compelled to de-lurk at this particular time because I just had to say how moving it is to see SBN's posts about re-homing the wolpies. It truly takes a village to take care of rescued creatures and I applaud you!

Welcome, Fictioneer!

Welcome. Nice bonus, give a wolpy a ride, get a new tribe member. Obligatory PSA: Please, everyone, don't get a molpy on impulse. Learn about them, and get the right one for you, whatever that might be. And, if you aren't getting a used one, make sure it is from a responsible breeder. Make sure you train your wolpies, make sure your meowlpies train you.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:49 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:I've done a quick look at how easy it would be for us to combine voice overs into the OTC. To minimize the work needed and make it simple going forward I think I've worked out how to do it using command line tools like ffmpeg. Technical stuff following so you can skip this spoiler.
Spoiler:
Basic steps are to record audio for selected frames into separate files per frame named with the frame numbers. To do this a volunteer voice actor just watches the OTC in maybe geekwagon and pauses it at each line their character speaks and says the lines and plays again. This one long audio file is then cut up into frame segments by someone skilled with audio editing.

The folder of audio files is compressed up and sent to someone with all the time frames and skills in command line scripting and they create a folder with all the current Time images and the audio files with matching file name format like 1.png and 1.wav. Then they run a script that does the following things:

For each xxxx.png file check if there is a xxxx.wav file and if so run this:

ffmpeg -loop 1 -y -i 1.png -i 1.wav -vcodec mpeg2video -shortest 1.mpg

else use a fixed length silent audio file to make a silent frame of that set length

ffmpeg -loop 1 -y -i 1.png -i silent.wav -vcodec mpeg2video -shortest 1.mpg

These ffmpeg commands create a short movie with the static picture with the input audio.
I've picked this video format because it can be joined by simply concatenating the files which is very quick and easy. So the script just concat's all the xxxx.mpg files together in order now.

cat out.mpg xxxx.mpg > out.mpg

The output mpg file is then run through ffmpeg again and encoded to a more compressed mp4 file and combined with a soundtrack audio file to give backing music.

The reason we go though all these steps is that the process is repeatable as we add more frames. This means the video can be re rendered at will and then manually uploaded online when required. To change or add to the voice overs and background Molpy sounds we just keep adding and changing the set of audio files and the script does the rest for us. Also if we want to make it pause on set frames that have no audio we just create a set of different length silent clips and copy them to frame number files as needed to set that frames run time. Once most of the timings are sorted for the frames the background music track can be timed to the audio better.

That all sounds very interesting. I was thinking for the soundtrack I would do something quite ambient, and take influence from the interactivity of some video game music, i.e. rather than having the music set in stone, just playing through from start to finish, it would have looping sections and different parts that would come in and out as you navigate through the comic. For example, the Sandcastle Eon could have its own theme which builds up and develops as the sandcastle grows. And reaching certain special frames would trigger certain musical cues, like something a bit more exciting for the raptorcat attack. That's what I'd like to do if it's at all possible - I don't have the technical know-how to actually make it work, but if someone else does...

ETA: On a related note, for the "sandcastle building" theme, I was thinking something along similar lines to this, with the general mood and the way it builds up... look at that, I'm already getting inspired and excited about this :P
Last edited by yappobiscuits on Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:03 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

DavidRa

Postby DavidRa » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:52 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:I've done a quick look at how easy it would be for us to combine voice overs into the OTC. To minimize the work needed and make it simple going forward I think I've worked out how to do it using command line tools like ffmpeg. Technical stuff following so you can skip this spoiler.

Nicely done. Since I have no skill with languages, nor starfields, trig surveys, drawing, filking or in fact any of the other million and one ways in which everyone else seems to contribute, I'd like to put my hand up as a contender for a voice actor.

That is, if a baritone Australian accent is even close to appropriate for the OTVOAvogadro. May not be the most obvious choice for Megan but hey, that's what Shakespeare did, isn't it?

Avogadro That'd be the One True Voice-Over then.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:59 am UTC

The voice-over stuff sounds great. But who's going to try to speak Beanish? Image
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:04 am UTC

In it for the lONGhaul...

Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

CameronCat

Postby CameronCat » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:06 am UTC

Welcome Fictioneer and a couple other newcomers. Here, I'll scooch over and make room for y'all here on the back pew of the Tabernacle of the OTT. It's really hard to keep up with the teachings around here...step outside for just a few hoursH and you'll come back way behind on your studies. We took one of our mecha-molpies to a show today and I come back to find perhaps 5 or more new pages to study.

The Elders and Experts are rockin' it but we common folks have to run like a scalded Molpy to keep up. They don't make it easy I can tell ya'!
Apprentice Curmudgeon by appointment to the Order of the Holy Contradiction
Knight Luminary and Second Prelate of the Proscenium
It's all related

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:08 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:The voice-over stuff sounds great. But who's going to try to speak Beanish? Image

That is indeed the main river1 that we have to find a way across with the project... We'll probably have to actually develop Beanish ourselves, since I don't think there's any way we'll ever be shown how it really sounds in the OTC itself...

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:09 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:That all sounds very interesting. I was thinking for the soundtrack I would do something quite ambient, and take influence from the interactivity of some video game music, i.e. rather than having the music set in stone, just playing through from start to finish, it would have looping sections and different parts that would come in and out as you navigate through the comic. For example, the Sandcastle Eon could have its own theme which builds up and develops as the sandcastle grows. And reaching certain special frames would trigger certain musical cues, like something a bit more exciting for the raptorcat attack. That's what I'd like to do if it's at all possible - I don't have the technical know-how to actually make it work, but if someone else does...

Sounds good! Yeah I don't expect you to do all the work yourself. Just being able to put together the soundtrack would be awesome!

DavidRa wrote:Nicely done. Since I have no skill with languages, nor starfields, trig surveys, drawing, filking or in fact any of the other million and one ways in which everyone else seems to contribute, I'd like to put my hand up as a contender for a voice actor.

That is, if a baritone Australian accent is even close to appropriate for the OTVOAvogadro. May not be the most obvious choice for Megan but hey, that's what Shakespeare did, isn't it?

Avogadro That'd be the One True Voice-Over then.

Yeah would be great if you could give it a go! To see if this is going to work or be worth us spending time on we need something to start playing with. If you want to try just pick a few frames of speech from the OTC and record yourself saying them on your computer mic or smart phone or whatever you have. You can either post the output in a post on here so that others can give you feedback or if your too shy just PM it to me first. Remember any negative comments you get about your voice recording will only be that they don't think it fits with the cueball in their head and are not really a negative comment on your voice as such. If enough people think it fits with the character as they see it then I say we run with it. Others could though their hat in the ring as well of course. Also remember your not just saying the words your saying them in the scene of the OTC so emotion and tone etc needs to match that.

b2bomberkrh

Postby b2bomberkrh » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:10 am UTC

Rule110 wrote:Just in case there was any doubt about the meaning of the map, here's a portion of the map of the Great Trigonometric Survey of India. It took 60 years, starting in the early 1800s.

I'm not sure how to post an image, I'm going to attempt to use the upload attachment functionality. Just in case it doesn't work, here is a link for another picture showing a similar survey close up of Mt. Everest. As you can see, the long line of sights are used to try to locate landmarks or objects that can't be reached by the surveyors, in this case Himalayan. This lends credence to the idea that the squiggly line in the lower right is coastline, and if so, makes me wonder what it is they've spotted out in the middle of the sea.

Link to a Everest survey pic.

everest_1862_lg.jpg
Everest Survey

SinusPi

Postby SinusPi » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:12 am UTC

... And, there's nothing odd about the map presented by the Beanies. It IS a piece of a simple trigonometric map.

These are made by plotting lines from a known point towards distant landmarks, then moving to the landmark and plotting lines to other landmarks again. By carefully recording the angles between the lines, you can draw a pretty accurate scale model of the area (taking elevation into account is another matter). Now if you know the exact real distance between just two known landmarks, you can scale the whole map with proper distances.

Why the criss-crossing triangle "tentacles"? Calculations are best if the triangles are as uniform as possible, so - for lack of a good landmark - surveyors send one of their team forward to hold up a "flag" or something to serve as a landmark. Building a "path of triangles" is actually more accurate than trying to focus on a distant landmark from two reasonably near landmarks, thus working with a narrow triangle.

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:12 am UTC

Excellent work translators and triangulists! Image

Now that we have the precedent for being shown written/illustrated content from a book, this surely opens up a lot of new possibilities for the imparting of Beanish wisdom. We're not limited to being shown just what they speak, or improvised drawings on the ground. Maybe there might be a whole future section of the OTC that comes straight from Beanish literature?

A few ketchups...

On accents:
I grew up in New Zealand and it took a long time before I could recognise my own accent. For years after I moved to Australia, if I heard a NZ speaker I would think that I knew them, because something about them seemed really familiar - but I couldn't for the life of me detect the actual difference in vowel sounds. My brain would get that there was something different and familiar about the way this person spoke, but would always attribute it to personal familiarity. It felt surprising and almost intrusive, like this complete stranger had called me by a secret nickname or something. Brains are funny things.

SBN, let me join Fictioneer in applauding you for your dedication to wolpy transportation, especially the spotted kind - as you say, they often turn out to be more of a handful than the impression given by their animated counterparts. [spoilered gushing about spotted wolpies follows]

Spoiler:
I once knew a Dalmatian who was one of the most deviously devilish creatures imaginable. She was prone to outrageous misdemeanours, but was so elegant and charming she always got away with it. She was once found casually strolling the meat aisle of a supermarket - although she was intercepted by a friend, I expect if she had actually made a selection, she would have insouciantly carried it out the door without anybody batting an eyelid. I dearly love them but I would never want to be responsible for one!

sford, I am enjoying your horrific molpies :D As a long-time fan of the star-nosed mole, I hope they get to put in an appearance too. And the world needs more old people at punk rock shows! [spoilered gushing about punk rock follows]

Spoiler:
I don't get out to many gigs these days, but last week we left the babysitter in charge and wandered on a whim into a bar just in time to see a fantastic hardcore band - two vocalists, no songs longer than two minutes, insane energy. I sometimes think if we could figure out a way to convert punk rock directly to DC, many of the world's problems would be solved. (The current oversupply of lame music included.)

Finally...

ucim wrote:... and beautiful poem BlitzGirl. I'm glad trees aren't dangerous. Or are they? Hmmmm....

Why yes, sometimes they are... (first thing I thought of when I saw Blitzgirl's fabulous ottification :D)

edited because words
Last edited by xpatiate on Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:25 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Cake Time!

Postby AluisioASG » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:22 am UTC

Happy 1200th, EternalDensity!
I was looking for a River Tam cake (obviously Google doesn't know what a cake looks like) and found a description of her, which reminded me of a boy, which reminded me of some nice hatted folks (there should be a list of hatted cultures on Wikipedia). So yeah, I brought you a fedora hat cake.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:26 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:The voice-over stuff sounds great. But who's going to try to speak Beanish? Image

That is indeed the main river1 that we have to find a way across with the project... We'll probably have to actually develop Beanish ourselves, since I don't think there's any way we'll ever be shown how it really sounds in the OTC itself...

Yeah beanish is a bit of a challenge. For the first pass we could just cheat a bit and go all charlie brown on the beanish. It just has to be impossible to understand.

We could even use the likes of electronic instruments with each beanish character assigned a 'note'. This would make it so you learn to recognize the words repeating but it will make no sense otherwise which is the point.

Later we could change it to real human speech by making random guesses at vowels and consonants. You could argue they will be wrong but I don't think GLR will ever give us what beanish sounds like when spoken so it may not matter. Think of when archeologists found really ancient languages. Often they could find meaning in the words but they were often not able to find what it sounded like. All they could do was make some educated guesses based on what later languages used for similar words and maybe work out some of the vowels based on regularity or something.

Charm Quark

Postby Charm Quark » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:26 am UTC

Anyone have any Inuit friends?
Lost forever in time...

SinusPi

Postby SinusPi » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:34 am UTC

Charm Quark wrote:Anyone have any Inuit friends?

I felt someone was going to suggest that. A-Inuit.

... badum-psh..?

Fictioneer

Postby Fictioneer » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:42 am UTC

We'll need someone good at chirping, too!

rootlake

Postby rootlake » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:52 am UTC

I've been lurking here and catching up with posts since the stars came out a couple of weeks ago.

I did some cursory research on Trigonometric Surveys and came across a device called a theodolite. It looks like the objects in the towers!

I'd link to the picture or Wiki page, but it's flagging it as spam, perhaps because this is my first post.

Search wikipedia for "Principal Triangulation of Great Britain" for a picture.

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:52 am UTC

Fictioneer wrote:We'll need someone good at chirping, too!

The cherry on top (I mean, bottom) of a wonderful newpage. A continuous pleasure to read. Keep at it, dear Waiters!

(I know there will be like 11 more posts before the page is over, but right now I'm in the process of molpying down, so I have to call it a day an icositetra... something. You understand.)
Last edited by Ximenez on Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:55 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:53 am UTC

I guess with Beanish it doesn't really matter, as long as... (Warning: TV Tropes link)

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:54 am UTC

b2bomberkrh wrote:

I'm not sure how to post an image, I'm going to attempt to use the upload attachment functionality. Just in case it doesn't work, here is a link for another picture showing a similar survey close up of Mt. Everest. As you can see, the long line of sights are used to try to locate landmarks or objects that can't be reached by the surveyors, in this case Himalayan.

Link to a Everest survey pic.

Good find. If you look at the map I posted, you'll see that the Everest survey map you posted is a part of the same India survey (but that map can't show it in much detail). Your map shows really clearly how inaccessible landmarks off of the survey path get triangulated.

b2bomberkrh wrote:This lends credence to the idea that the squiggly line in the lower right is coastline, and if so, makes me wonder what it is they've spotted out in the middle of the sea.

I must say, that is a really really good question!
Time after Time...

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:58 am UTC

BlueCrab wrote:
Spoiler:
Valarya wrote:
jovialbard wrote:If I were creating a language, I would make my alphabet phonetic. It's simpler, and having a non-phonetic alphabet generally implies the creation of several different language origins, which would make the problem more complex.

This reminds me of the Chronicler in the Kingkiller seires (Name of the Wind)... having devised his own short-hand so he can write as fast as people speak. It's phonetic. That's all I had to add to that discussion. :oops:
Heart! Heart, heart, heart! I've been trying not to think about how long we might have to wait for volume three. :D

I knowww, I can't wait. Just another series I'm waiting on. T_T

---
Been away for the wipend and come back to raptors, more beesnakes and some new text! Yaaay. Loving all the new survey maps popping up this NP so I'm throwing forward the enhanced beanie map:

NetWeasel wrote:
taixzo wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:I just decoma'd and what is going ONG?

Spoiler:

Instant spiderweb!

Detail:

Spoiler:
beaniemap2.gif
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Eternal Density

And then...

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:01 am UTC

captONG the flag!

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:04 am UTC

Ooh! Windsock maybe?

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:04 am UTC

Valarya wrote:
BlueCrab wrote:
Spoiler:
Valarya wrote:
jovialbard wrote:If I were creating a language, I would make my alphabet phonetic. It's simpler, and having a non-phonetic alphabet generally implies the creation of several different language origins, which would make the problem more complex.

This reminds me of the Chronicler in the Kingkiller seires (Name of the Wind)... having devised his own short-hand so he can write as fast as people speak. It's phonetic. That's all I had to add to that discussion. :oops:
Heart! Heart, heart, heart! I've been trying not to think about how long we might have to wait for volume three. :D

I knowww, I can't wait. Just another series I'm waiting on. T_T

---
Been away for the wipend and come back to raptors, more beesnakes and some new text! Yaaay. Loving all the new survey maps popping up this NP so I'm throwing forward the enhanced beanie map:

NetWeasel wrote:
taixzo wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:I just decoma'd and what is going ONG?

Spoiler:

Instant spiderweb!

Detail:

Spoiler:
beaniemap2.gif

You seriously just ninja'd me on that.
Rule110 wrote:
b2bomberkrh wrote:This lends credence to the idea that the squiggly line in the lower right is coastline, and if so, makes me wonder what it is they've spotted out in the middle of the sea.

It must be this:
Rule110 wrote:FAKEONG...
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

b2bomberkrh

Postby b2bomberkrh » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:05 am UTC

A survey flag? If so, will they point out which one it is on their map? Seems likely they'll just go past it.

ETA: Or will they stop to do some more surveying? I would think Cuegan would be curious about the flag.
Last edited by b2bomberkrh on Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:11 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:09 am UTC

Now that's a flag! That could cover a HUGE raptorcat wound! :D
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:15 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Now that's a flag! That could cover a HUGE raptorcat wound! :D

A huge wound or a huge raptorcat? Image

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:23 am UTC

SBN wrote:
Rule110 wrote:

It must be this:
Rule110 wrote:FAKEONG...
Spoiler:

At this point, I kind of wish I had any better hypotheses. :) :?

Oh well. Flag in sight, but it's molpy down for me.
Time after Time...

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”