1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Re: Ketchup

Postby ZoomanSP » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:06 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:I think the darker rectangles in the previous newpix might have been the start of hallways rather than doors.

What is bugging me is that Megan's and the Beanies' faces and (their backpacks) appear darker when they're in front of these rectangles. We saw darker faces during the Long Night of the OTC, presumably because less ambient light was reflected. So I'd say that the darker rectangles are shadows of some kind of pillars (which do not reach the ceiling, see the small, brighter gap at the top), which are situated between us (the viewers) and the corridor. We don't see the pillars because they're not in the 2.5D slice that is shown to us, but we see the effect of their shadows.
Another possibility might be that the rectangles are tinted glass panels, and Cuegan and the Beanies pass behind them. In this case, the rectangles might be some kind of security body scanner?

ETA:
Spoiler:
Image PFANP. No decree, just keep on waiting.
Last edited by ZoomanSP on Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:12 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

fhorn

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby fhorn » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:08 pm UTC

Now I've got myself thinking about a soundtrack to the OTT. I'm not a pagepope but - what would the soundtrack sound like? What pieces/songs for which frames?
For your consideration, a wolpy having cake:
Spoiler:

He liked it so much, he's having it twice:
Spoiler:
dog cake.jpg
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:09 pm UTC

nerdsniped wrote:...Mind boggler.... But to pick something most people (even on this thread) probably haven't heard of, how about this. It's a computer program that, when you run it, prints another computer program. When you run *that* program, it prints another program. When you run *that* one, it prints yet another program. Repeat the process 50 times, and the last program prints bacon the original program! Oh, and all 50 programs are written in different languages, and the program itself is also ASCII art.

And the computer languages are in alphabetical order! That's the quine program to end all quine programs.

ETA: clarify alphabetical order
Last edited by ttscp on Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:18 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

richP

Postby richP » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:10 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:I totally heard organ music with this one.

Me too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1SMQRfk7oU

Also keep hearing the "woof" sound effect that accompanies a lost heart.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:12 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
SinusPi wrote:I might have a little cautious revelation.
Spoiler:
Note the AM2. It was used in G2806 and exclaimed by Beanette in G2842. Could we have Beanie1's name here?

Neat! Easy to remember: Amtoo!

And his buddy, Arnot!
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:15 pm UTC

nerdsniped wrote:Just walking farther down the hall but we all knew thatONG
Spoiler:

Still hoping this what the first part of infinity looks like...

Don't worry, I'm sure mscha is working on that GIF even as we speak...

...i miss photoshop...
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:22 pm UTC

NetWeasel wrote:Don't worry, I'm sure mscha is working on that GIF even as we speak...

Or not.
(Can't think of a good way to do that. In an animated GIF you have to loop back to frame 1, which can't service as a “middle frame”. It's also way too much work for too little coolness.)
Last edited by mscha on Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:23 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

SinusPi

Postby SinusPi » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:22 pm UTC

I couldn't resist.

Spoiler:
It probably says "your sea is in another castle", but meh...

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:29 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
xpatiate wrote:
Valarya wrote:I think you sound great, yappo! Perfect 'attitude,' if that's the right word. You have my vote! Though if Cue is british, Megan will have to be also. :P

I think a British Cueball and an American Megan would be perfect :D Makes no sense geographically of course, but a wild mix of inexplicable accents never seems to bother Disney characters.

I might be biased, but I think that would be perfect. 8-)

It would work out if they had a kid, too:
[quote=Mark Twain]By his father he is English, by his mother he is American - to my mind the blend which makes the perfect man[/quote]

The musician wars continue (note: don't take anything I say here seriously, it's all in fun):
Spoiler:
NoMouse wrote:
Valarya wrote:
Kazza3 wrote:
fhorn wrote:I play French horn, and taught elementary school (ages 6 - 11 or 12) general music (singing, dancing, reading, writing, playing - Kodaly technique, specifically - drank the koolaid early on and will bore anyone to death with wondrous tales of music literacy, sight-singing and the joys and limitations of movable do!).
and you?

Very nice. Limitations of movable do, never! I'm a clarinetist (as may have been evidenced by the conference and my avatar), in my first year of a music performance course at uni.
fhorn wrote:Hoo boy, that's a lot of reeds all in one place, says the brass player..... On the bright side, you didn't have to shake hands with all those trumpet players (tpt player, meeting anyone: "hi, I'm better than you").

Haha, yes... not as bad as singers though.

How did I miss this entire discussion? Was it in one of the 20 pages I skipped recently? Is this blindposting or what?
*ahem* Hi. *shakes your hand* I'm a trumpet player. I'm better than you. :P jk jk - but I laughed. My daughter is 12 and sits 1st chair French Horn so we're a happy lil brass family. Brass is always better.. oops, did I do it again? :mrgreen:

Oh hey, hi! Maybe you're better than me but I'm better than you too! :mrgreen: Yes, trumpet player here. How many musicians are there in the OTT anyway? Maybe we could form OTB - The One True Band. :lol:

Well, the number of musicians in the OTB depends entirely on how many of us (myself included) play the piano. Everyone else would just be providing the background noise and keeping the audience from getting bored while we give our fingers the occasional rest. :twisted:
hey, there's a reason each orchestra only needs one piano to sound good. :P

Tom17 wrote:DeepONG and deepONG
Spoiler:
[img]http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/time.png[img]

ETA: Ninja'd!

You included time.png rather than the hash of that ONG for this post, and it confused me. You may want to mark/remove/change it for other people who may come across it.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:31 pm UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:I think the darker rectangles in the previous newpix might have been the start of hallways rather than doors.

What is bugging me is that Megan's and the Beanies' faces and (their backpacks) appear darker when they're in front of these rectangles. We saw darker faces during the Long Night of the OTC, presumably because less ambient light was reflected. So I'd say that the darker rectangles are shadows of some kind of pillars (which do not reach the ceiling, see the small, brighter gap at the top), which are situated between us (the viewers) and the corridor. We don't see the pillars because they're not in the 2.5D slice that is shown to us, but we see the effect of their shadows.
Another possibility might be that the rectangles are tinted glass panels, and Cuegan and the Beanies pass behind them. In this case, the rectangles might be some kind of security body scanner?

ETA:
Spoiler:
Image PFANP. No decree, just keep on waiting.

Good catch. Are body scanners consistent with 1800s level technology (post apocalyptic 13291)? One way mirrors might work...
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:36 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:Now I've got myself thinking about a soundtrack to the OTT. I'm not a pagepope but - what would the soundtrack sound like?

It's interesting you bring this up. Earlier I mentioned imagining Cueball's voice to be melancholy, and then I realized that's because of the music I listen to at work all day whilst reading the Thread of Time. It isn't always melancholy music, but this song came on in my playlist and, well, it kind of all snapped together why I projected such an emotion onto Cue.

The entire OTC soundtrack, to me, is in electronic music because that's what I listen to. Though, for the purpose of art, I could definitely see some sweeping scores of symphonic music in most of it. Or ethereal stuff like this, which I think would be a good fit for their walk through the abandoned grapevine and/or up to the empty hut (pre-raptorcat).

@SinusPi: Love the manip! :mrgreen:
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

nerdsniped

Postby nerdsniped » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:38 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
nerdsniped wrote:Well, my default mind boggler is the Fermi Paradox, which can be summarized as "why the hell isn't the sky full of alien civilizations"?

I just don't see a paradox. We have no idea what the odds are of intelligent life appearing on a suitable planet (Drake's equation contains way too many unknowns) – it might be just as small as the number of planets is large. (The only example we have, Earth, is hardly randomly selected.)
Say, there are 10100 suitable planets in the universe, and the chance of intelligent life appearing on any suitable planet is 10-100. Then the expected number of planets with intelligent life is exactly 1.
(Also, interstellar travel is, and in my belief never will be, practical. You simply won't find people willing to do it, knowing that their grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-children might reach the nearest star. Wormhole travel, warp-speed? Will stay in the domain of SF.)

Yeah, it's only a paradox if you have trouble accepting that the odds of intelligent, expansionist life are low enough to balance the pretty-clearly-enormous (dare I say astronomical?) number of planets. I have some trouble with that; but it's hard for me to argue with the quiet skies. Chirping stars notwithstanding.
New to the Time thread? Click here!

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

"Expect friskiness." -- keithl

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:45 pm UTC

Well, fellow OTTers, I must away. I'm a bridesmaid at a wedding this wip-end, and there is much to do betwixt now and then. (Plus, I doubt I will have internet access for a few xip.) I'll check in when I can, but for the most part, I won't be able to. So hold down the thread for me; I'll be back again next Mondip! :)
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:47 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Well, fellow OTTers, I must away. I'm a bridesmaid at a wedding this wip-end, and there is much to do betwixt now and then. (Plus, I doubt I will have internet access for a few xip.) I'll check in when I can, but for the most part, I won't be able to. So hold down the thread for me; I'll be back again next Mondip! :)

Good luck! This place won't be the same without you. Image
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:48 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:The musician wars continue (note: don't take anything I say here seriously, it's all in fun):
Spoiler:
NoMouse wrote:
Valarya wrote:
Kazza3 wrote:
fhorn wrote:I play French horn, and taught elementary school (ages 6 - 11 or 12) general music (singing, dancing, reading, writing, playing - Kodaly technique, specifically - drank the koolaid early on and will bore anyone to death with wondrous tales of music literacy, sight-singing and the joys and limitations of movable do!).
and you?

Very nice. Limitations of movable do, never! I'm a clarinetist (as may have been evidenced by the conference and my avatar), in my first year of a music performance course at uni.
fhorn wrote:Hoo boy, that's a lot of reeds all in one place, says the brass player..... On the bright side, you didn't have to shake hands with all those trumpet players (tpt player, meeting anyone: "hi, I'm better than you").

How did I miss this entire discussion? Was it in one of the 20 pages I skipped recently? Is this blindposting or what?
*ahem* Hi. *shakes your hand* I'm a trumpet player. I'm better than you. :P jk jk - but I laughed. My daughter is 12 and sits 1st chair French Horn so we're a happy lil brass family. Brass is always better.. oops, did I do it again? :mrgreen:

Oh hey, hi! Maybe you're better than me but I'm better than you too! :mrgreen: Yes, trumpet player here. How many musicians are there in the OTT anyway? Maybe we could form OTB - The One True Band. :lol:

Well, the number of musicians in the OTB depends entirely on how many of us (myself included) play the piano. Everyone else would just be providing the background noise and keeping the audience from getting bored while we give our fingers the occasional rest. :twisted:

:lol: "background noise" - Well done, Prince Hal! Your genre of choice? Are we talking Bill Evans? Martha Argerich? something more contemporary?
eta: Have fun, BlitzGirl!
Last edited by fhorn on Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:53 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:48 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Well, fellow OTTers, I must away. I'm a bridesmaid at a wedding this wip-end, and there is much to do betwixt now and then. (Plus, I doubt I will have internet access for a few xip.) I'll check in when I can, but for the most part, I won't be able to. So hold down the thread for me; I'll be back again next Mondip! :)

We'll miss you BlitzGirl!! :cry:
Upon your return, I suggest changing your name to KetchupGirl until you return to the present.
Voice of the Silent
Owner of the contents of Cueball's head
Lurking Time-Ninja of the Past-Post

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:52 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:Now I've got myself thinking about a soundtrack to the OTT. I'm not a pagepope but - what would the soundtrack sound like? What pieces/songs for which frames?

Well, when the project is done, original music written by me :P

I have been thinking about it, I think mainly ambient background stuff apart from certain special moments where things get more exciting. Stylistically, a mix of ambient electronic with some orchestral elements. Maybe some post-rock touches too.

Aww! Have fun! We'll miss you...
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:57 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:I have been thinking about it, I think mainly ambient background stuff apart from certain special moments where things get more exciting. Stylistically, a mix of ambient electronic with some orchestral elements BWARPs. Maybe some post-rock touches too.

FTFY.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:59 pm UTC

Bwarps! And the odd tootle and b'ding :P

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:00 pm UTC

nerdsniped wrote:
mscha wrote:
nerdsniped wrote:Well, my default mind boggler is the Fermi Paradox, which can be summarized as "why the hell isn't the sky full of alien civilizations"?

I just don't see a paradox. We have no idea what the odds are of intelligent life appearing on a suitable planet (Drake's equation contains way too many unknowns) – it might be just as small as the number of planets is large. (The only example we have, Earth, is hardly randomly selected.)
Say, there are 10100 suitable planets in the universe, and the chance of intelligent life appearing on any suitable planet is 10-100. Then the expected number of planets with intelligent life is exactly 1.
(Also, interstellar travel is, and in my belief never will be, practical. You simply won't find people willing to do it, knowing that their grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-children might reach the nearest star. Wormhole travel, warp-speed? Will stay in the domain of SF.)

Yeah, it's only a paradox if you have trouble accepting that the odds of intelligent, expansionist life are low enough to balance the pretty-clearly-enormous (dare I say astronomical?) number of planets. I have some trouble with that; but it's hard for me to argue with the quiet skies. Chirping stars notwithstanding.

Look at it this way: what are the odds that, if there's a huge alphabet soup spill in the nearby sea and you go to the beach the day after, the entire works of Shakespeare are spelled out on the shoreline? Pretty much zero, right?
Now instead of alphabet soup, imagine it's a primordial soup consisting of simple molecules. You may have to wait a few billion years, but eventually, you might get the collected works of Shakespeare. And sandcastles, alphabet soup, newpixly updating web comics, molpies, and human beings, among many other things. What are the odds of that? Pretty much infinitely smaller than the last one, I'd say.
On the other hand, space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. For all intents and purposes, it's pretty much infinitely big.
So the expected number of planets on which intelligent life appears is: pretty much zero times pretty much infinite, which equals? Could be anything. Maybe 1. Or 42. Could be a million.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:01 pm UTC

mscha wrote:You're in a comfortable tunnel-like hall.

You fools! I told you not to allow him to bring his staff!
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:07 pm UTC

Hmmm... "Always a bridesmaid, ... at least Aleph-Null times" ?

Or is it really "bridemolpy" ? Somehow being a "brideblitz" doesn't sound like a good idea. Anyway, bring us all some wedding cake and try to keep count of how many times the guests say Wow, Yeah, and Neat.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:10 pm UTC

CAVONGS...

-- posted by newpixbot
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:10 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:hey, there's a reason each orchestra only needs one piano to sound good.
Because next to a piano, anything sounds good? :)

@BlitzGirl: Have fun at the wedding - "hi" to the bride and groom for me. :)

As for background music for the OTC - I think it needs to be carefully orchestrated to the action, almost frame by frame, lest it be merely mood music. A simple example - I turn off the sound on the Book of Aubron because, while sort-of cool, I get it already and it becomes distracting. Pace is important too - maybe frames need to be synched to the music rather than the other way around. But if we're going to do this thing... how about redrawing key frames in the manner of... oh, who was it that did those wowterful photomanips that put the comic against a background photo?

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:11 pm UTC

On Paradoxes.

The infinity paradoxes (such as the stack of money ones) can be resolved just by remembering that you can't count your way to aleph-null. However high your number, the next is still finite.

The Fermi Paradox is more interesting. I think that recent research implies that life, or at least its basic building blocks, were seeded from space. Lots of organic "soup" has been detected in space. This implies that the probability of life on planets (or free in space) is greater rather than smaller. Why we don't see life may have more to do with Time than with the number of planets sheltering life. Life comes in to being, it rises in complexity, maybe to the point of intelligence, or not. But, if it also gets destroyed, or self destroyed, then there may be a narrow window of time for each civilization to be visible. We've only been sending out signals for about 100 years and only been looking for about half of that. Detectable signals may fly by us frequently, but with thousand year gaps. Our wave front is only about 100 light years away. Not very far, actually. And if we were to self destruct tomorrow, the wave would only be 100 light years wide.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:18 pm UTC

mscha wrote:CAVONGS...

No, newpixbot. Not a cave. It's a castle. (Stupid bot...)

It's the middle of the day and newpixbot gets to post the ONG? See, BlitzGirl has only just left and this place is already falling apart. Image
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:19 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:The musician wars continue (note: don't take anything I say here seriously, it's all in fun):
Spoiler:
NoMouse wrote:
Valarya wrote:
Kazza3 wrote:
and you?

:lol: "background noise" - Well done, Prince Hal! Your genre of choice? Are we talking Bill Evans? Martha Argerich? something more contemporary?
eta: Have fun, BlitzGirl!

Less contemporary, in fact. I'll always drop what I'm doing for a chance to listen to a good nocturne, especially. Of course, I do also enjoy many pieces for full orchestra, and am a budding opera fanatic. I think I enjoy classical and opera because either there aren't words, or I can't understand what the words are, so they don't get in the way of my enjoyment of a piece (too many modern songs have lyrics that resonate with me in a way I do not at all enjoy, thus blocking out a large number of artists and genres from the list of things I can listen to without ending up worse off than I started).

ucim wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:hey, there's a reason each orchestra only needs one piano to sound good.
Because next to a piano, anything sounds good? :)

It's because the rest of the orchestra can only tolerate being around one superior instrument at a time. :lol:
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:20 pm UTC

I and others after me have speculated that perhaps the castle is being torn down rather than constructed. However it looks to be in very good repair so far. Note the crispness of the arches over the windows and the square corners of the stairs.

Not related, but they are also keeping their traveling order. Two beanies in front, one behind.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

ofvn2vw1872

Postby ofvn2vw1872 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:20 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
fhorn wrote:Now I've got myself thinking about a soundtrack to the OTT. I'm not a pagepope but - what would the soundtrack sound like? What pieces/songs for which frames?

Well, when the project is done, original music written by me :P

I have been thinking about it, I think mainly ambient background stuff apart from certain special moments where things get more exciting. Stylistically, a mix of ambient electronic with some orchestral elements. Maybe some post-rock touches too.

I would tend to agree. I'm inclined towards more symphonic scores for films, being more familiar with the style and workings of an orchestra, but in this case, I think something more ambient fits better. I think perhaps the most difficult part would be the first few frames. But the rest all has pretty good character to work off of. Especially the long night, which gives the time for a nice mood setting piece. My mind is drawn to the 4th movement of Mahler's 3rd Symphony.
"It never seems to occur to people that a man might just want to write a piece of music"

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:28 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:On Paradoxes.

The infinity paradoxes (such as the stack of money ones) can be resolved just by remembering that you can't count your way to aleph-null. However high your number, the next is still finite.

The Fermi Paradox is more interesting. I think that recent research implies that life, or at least its basic building blocks, were seeded from space. Lots of organic "soup" has been detected in space. This implies that the probability of life on planets (or free in space) is greater rather than smaller. Why we don't see life may have more to do with Time than with the number of planets sheltering life. Life comes in to being, it rises in complexity, maybe to the point of intelligence, or not. But, if it also gets destroyed, or self destroyed, then there may be a narrow window of time for each civilization to be visible. We've only been sending out signals for about 100 years and only been looking for about half of that. Detectable signals may fly by us frequently, but with thousand year gaps. Our wave front is only about 100 light years away. Not very far, actually. And if we were to self destruct tomorrow, the wave would only be 100 light years wide.

Also, don't most signals degrade to white noise within just a few lightyears? I seem to remember reading that recently, maybe on the Intersteller Memes thread. So, what are the chances that an intelligent life sends out a sufficiently strong signal that we can detect and understand to be a signal? If communication with the nearest stars is difficult, how about from across the galaxy?

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:37 pm UTC

One thing I want to point out: there was earlier talk about the castle's battlements being too wide to be practical. However, one of the castles I visited in Germany earlier this summer had very wide battlements to allow for placement of cannons, being a late Renaissance castle (1600s or so). That's about the minimum technological level Randall's using here, what with the telescope (or whatever you call it when it's pointed at the ground), so maybe we'll see some cannons sometime!

yappobiscuits

Music of Time

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:37 pm UTC

ucim wrote:As for background music for the OTC - I think it needs to be carefully orchestrated to the action, almost frame by frame, lest it be merely mood music. A simple example - I turn off the sound on the Book of Aubron because, while sort-of cool, I get it already and it becomes distracting. Pace is important too - maybe frames need to be synched to the music rather than the other way around. But if we're going to do this thing... how about redrawing key frames in the manner of... oh, who was it that did those wowterful photomanips that put the comic against a background photo?

I still prefer my idea of having an interactive score which develops as you manually scroll through the OTC... I like the idea of being able to experience it in your own time. There would still be special music for special frames, it would just be triggered when you get to them.
HAL9000 wrote:Less contemporary, in fact. I'll always drop what I'm doing for a chance to listen to a good nocturne, especially. Of course, I do also enjoy many pieces for full orchestra, and am a budding opera fanatic. I think I enjoy classical and opera because either there aren't words, or I can't understand what the words are, so they don't get in the way of my enjoyment of a piece (too many modern songs have lyrics that resonate with me in a way I do not at all enjoy, thus blocking out a large number of artists and genres from the list of things I can listen to without ending up worse off than I started).

That's why I listen to quite a lot of bands that don't sing in English.
ofvn2vw1872 wrote:I would tend to agree. I'm inclined towards more symphonic scores for films, being more familiar with the style and workings of an orchestra, but in this case, I think something more ambient fits better. I think perhaps the most difficult part would be the first few frames. But the rest all has pretty good character to work off of. Especially the long night, which gives the time for a nice mood setting piece. My mind is drawn to the 4th movement of Mahler's 3rd Symphony.

There would still be plenty of symphonic-ness, since that's also my comfort zone. But I don't think the stereotypically "epic" style would work well for the OTC, as it needs to be more intimate, hence the ambient stuff. I think a lot of piano would be a good idea too. I already mentioned this track as one I'd like to take influence from for the "sandcastle building" theme, with the way it builds up, the instrumentation, and the general mood. It's orchestral, but not stereotypically "epic" - more intimate and magical and sort of... innocent.

akacat

Postby akacat » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:38 pm UTC

I started my ketchup 10 pages behind, and now I'm 4 pages behind -- I may catch up yet! Meanwhile I'm sure you've all seen Beardo and the language is getting less riddle-ish.

acunning40

Postby acunning40 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:39 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:Also, don't most signals degrade to white noise within just a few lightyears? I seem to remember reading that recently, maybe on the Intersteller Memes thread.

A recent xkcd what-if addressed it. :D

While our TV signals may have been detectable—with great effort—for a while,[3] that window is closing. In the late 20th century, when we were using TV and radio to scream into the void at the top of our lungs, the signal probably faded to undetectability after a few light-years.[4] The potentially habitable exoplanets we’ve spotted so far are dozens of light-years away, so the odds are they aren’t currently repeating our catchphrases.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:40 pm UTC

akacat wrote:I started my ketchup 10 pages behind, and now I'm 4 pages behind -- I may catch up yet! Meanwhile I'm sure you've all seen Beardo and the language is getting less riddle-ish.

I don't think you could be more wrong. I suppose that if we want to find answers to both of those puzzles, we'll have to
Spoiler:
wait for it.

ETA that our wait for Beardo might not be very long, but if we ever do figure out Beanish, it'll take quite some time.

lgw

Postby lgw » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:47 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
Tom17 wrote:Yes, this number is horrifically large, but the point is, it's finite!
Have you heard of uncomputable numbers?
Spoiler:
(a little over half the way down): The Busy Beaver sequence is non-computable, solely because it grows stupendously fast—too fast for any computer to keep up with it, even in principle.
That makes my head asplode... that there are numbers which are finite but still unreachable.

Jose

I just wanted to point out that this is confusing two very different concepts: non-computable reals, and non-computable functions.

The computable reals are the real numbers that can be expressed by a finite formula or production rule. For example, pi can be defined as the sum of a series. The set of computable reals is the same "size" as the set of integers. The non-computable reals are all the rest of the reals: arbitrary infinite sequences of digits that cannot be produced by any finite rule.

The Busy Beaver function is a non-computable function. Beyond some input, the output of the function is undefined (like 1/0, the answer isn't some odd kind of number, it must be undefined to avoid contradiction). What's really fun is that the minimum input for which the output is undefined is also undefined. That's the part that make my head assplode.

charlie_grumbles wrote:On Paradoxes.

I just love the Fermi Paradox. My favorite statement of it is: if just one civilization in our galaxy built self-replicating machines to explore the galaxy at some tiny % of the speed of light, we would expect to see the evidence in our own solar system. My favorite answer to that is: we've barely started looking - we've so barely explored that the chance of finding mine workings on some random asteroid or belt object are basically 0. Maybe the evidence is in our back yard, waiting on us to be bothered to find it.
Last edited by lgw on Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:53 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
"In no set of physics laws do you get two cats." - doogly

ttscp

Re: Music of Time

Postby ttscp » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:49 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:I still prefer my idea of having an interactive score which develops as you manually scroll through the OTC... I like the idea of being able to experience it in your own time. There would still be special music for special frames, it would just be triggered when you get to them.

I like the idea of an interactive score, even if I don't fully understand it. Do you mean one that changes as you scroll/page through the frames, possibly changing (not simply repeating) as you scroll back to check something, or one that allows the user to interact directly with the music function?

yappobiscuits

Re: Music of Time

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:54 pm UTC

ttscp wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:I still prefer my idea of having an interactive score which develops as you manually scroll through the OTC... I like the idea of being able to experience it in your own time. There would still be special music for special frames, it would just be triggered when you get to them.

I like the idea of an interactive score, even if I don't fully understand it. Do you mean one that changes as you scroll/page through the frames, possibly changing (not simply repeating) as you scroll back to check something, or one that allows the user to interact directly with the music function?

Well here's how I explained it earlier if it helps...
yappobiscuits wrote:I was thinking for the soundtrack I would do something quite ambient, and take influence from the interactivity of some video game music, i.e. rather than having the music set in stone, just playing through from start to finish, it would have looping sections and different parts that would come in and out as you navigate through the comic. For example, the Sandcastle Eon could have its own theme which builds up and develops as the sandcastle grows. And reaching certain special frames would trigger certain musical cues, like something a bit more exciting for the raptorcat attack. That's what I'd like to do if it's at all possible - I don't have the technical know-how to actually make it work, but if someone else does...

In more detail... the score would be made up of looping themes which loop until you reach a certain frame where it develops (as seamlessly as possible) by adding other instrument layers or changing to a new theme altogether. It wouldn't all be loops though, only where its appropriate. For certain special frames and moments, specifically scored sections would come in.

ETA: Just before I get too ahead of myself with this - I just want to check to make sure everyone's ok with me taking the helm for the OTC soundtrack... As much as I'd secretly love to do it all myself*, I don't want to be selfish here, so - are there any other composers/musicians here who want to contribute/collaborate?

*To clarify I'm talking mainly about composing here - I'd be more than happy to have other musicians PLAYING things I've written. In fact that would be the best thing, if there's anyone who wants to help out there.
Last edited by yappobiscuits on Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:05 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

Beardo next newpix? Maybe in two. Anyways, ONG:

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:03 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:Which reminds me of a cool puzzler you can use to mystify non-mathematicians (or perhaps convince them of your total nerdness). Here goes:
You're in Hell, and all you know is that at some future date (call it Aleph-Null Day), if you have enough money, you can buy your way out. The Devil gives you two choices. One: He arrives every day , adds ten $1 bills to the top of your stack of money, and removes three bills from the bottom. Two: he arrives every day, adds ten $1 bills to the top of your stack, then removes 6 bills from the top of the stack. Which option leaves you with more money on Aleph-Null Day?
:twisted:

As I was reading this, it started sounding all too familar. . .then I realized what non-mathematical problem this reminded me of.

Spoiler:
You're reading this forum, and all you know is that at some future date (call it Aleph-Null Day), if you have enough Time, you can finally ketchup. The OTT gives you two choices. One: you login every day, find ten NP added to the front of the forum, and you ketchup three NP from the back. Two: you login every day, find ten NP added to the front of the forum, then read just the 6 newest NP from the front (planning to blitz the old pages later). Which option leaves you more likely to ketchup by Aleph-Null Day? :D
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”