1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

hunjoh

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby hunjoh » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:19 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
Spoiler:

I wonder if the managed to scavenge anything interesting from the hill people?

joselynmay

Postby joselynmay » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:22 pm UTC

Random832 wrote:
pkcommando wrote:I'm counting ~15 using the previous nexpix. Anyone w/ better eyes want to take a count once they zoom in on that? Or should we wait for it and hope for a closer newpix?

Here's an enlargement
enlarge1.png

Ooooo, I'm counting 21 - but that might just be me...

jazz14456

Postby jazz14456 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:28 pm UTC

Not even going to bother with ketchup at the amount you guys have posted.
:O

But good morning. Or evening. Or whatever the time it is wherever you live.
This place is ending and its time to go.

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:30 pm UTC

Carolina Morning Ketchupping...
keithl wrote:Flags flapping in the breeze ...

A larger sea will have more evaporation, making more rising moisture, clouds, water vapor saturated winds swirling up into the clouds, dry winds swirling down. That is, cyclonic winds and rain. The very fast moving incoming water will draw a lot of air with it, too. Not sure if this will make megacell thunderstorms, high winds, tornados and hurricanes, but lets assume (for dramatic purposes) the air will get frisky, too.

This was my question as well... In addition to all that you have the onrushing high speed, high kinetic energy water colliding with bedrock creating even more water vapor, which should lead to "40 days and nights" of high intensity storms.
(Especially east of Sicily, where they don't get any flood for a couple of days(?) yet.)
But that part's not important in this story. As far as we know.
However, there could be someone south of Greece, who was warned by the Beanies, who is just finishing a big boat full of animals.....
Latent22 wrote:So I take it to do this we would speak the lines then reverse the direction and listen to the output. Then get the voice actor to speak close to what the reversed output sounds like and then reverse that and it will sound sort of like English but hard to understand and weird right?

Years ago, I heard on Dr. Demento a recording that someone had done using that technique to reverse-copy-re-reverse Frank Sinatra's "New York, New York." (EDIT: With full instrumentation - was weird.) I think the technique would work for a beginning, with overlaying the other words, and using "um" and "ah" over the parts we can't read.
Also, the non-english for accent - great idea, but send them the reversed sound to phonetically duplicate...
rvloon wrote:Also,
Spoiler:
Ronald

The date on that is 7/19... This year, perhaps? It COULD actually BE a comment on the OTC and OTT....
Last edited by NetWeasel on Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:43 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:30 pm UTC

joselynmay wrote:Ooooo, I'm counting 21 - but that might just be me...

Let's not forget that Megan Cueball said, "About 40." as I recall.
I think too many people are getting hung up on their being exactly 40 of the Megball tribe.
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

mscha

Molpy up!

Postby mscha » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:32 pm UTC

I'll try to keep it brief, most of what I wanted to say has been ninja'd already.

Yappo, that is indeed a ⁴ soundtrack thought!
Neopifex, ⁴ cueganisation of Washington/Delaware. (I though of doing a mockup with the entire boat replaced by the Cueganie raft, but that's beyond my skillset.)

ZoomanSP wrote:@mscha: 4, although I spotted an inexcusable case of heresy:
mscha wrote:God's gonna trouble the water, yeah
Bring the comfy chair and the chocolate! (These might be useful during a rough float ride, too.)

Thanks for the heads-up! Fixed.

DavidRa wrote:NB This predicting the end of time thing is addictive annoying!

FTFY.

Looks like the GLR isn't rushing the journey up as much as I had feared. Hopefully, the rest of my prediction is wrong as well...
WRT the title text, I was also a bit surprised that it hasn't changed. But maybe it won't (for a while); perhaps it's really an indication of the pace of the storytelling in the OTC. The change from “Wait for it.” to “RUN.” pretty much precisely corresponds with that change of pace: until then, we always had to, you know what, but after the change, the OTC regularly cuts to the next exciting moment, and we rarely have to you know what for 5, 23 or 38 newpix for something to happen.

Anyway, exciting, looks like the 40 are about to be safelyfor now joined!
Last edited by mscha on Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:34 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:33 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:I decree that all who feel like it shall advise me on a good book series to start once I have finished Anne McCaffrey's Pern series.

In my view, popes have gotten all too polite lately. :twisted:
Anyway:

Huge Seaish list. Spoilered.
Spoiler:
The Torturer series by Gene Wolfe, followed by The Long Sun series, followed by the Short Sun series.

The Knight Wizard pair (Wolfe). In either order, but both. I started with The Knight, which was the first to be published.

Almost anything by Ursula K Le Guin. Especially those from before 2000. For a series: The Earthsea Cycle. Note that pub dates are misleading, since most of her work has been republished.

Ringworld (Larry Niven) and its sequels (they fall off a bit as it goes on, though). Lots of other stuff by Niven.

Foundation, by Asimov, though it disappointed me. I actually had the opportunity to argue a bit of this with him once. Funny story. I didn't care for the ending of Foundation and Earth (I think it was) and told him why. His wife, who was sitting next to him, turned to him and said, "I told you so!". Made my day.

The Robot Series by Asimov. Is AI really life?

Dune (first couple of volumes anyway) by Herbert. When it gets boring, quit. It will get worse. For me it was an exponential fall-off. The first chapter better than the average of the first book. The first book better than anything that followed, etc. But it starts out HUGE.

Ender's Game, Orson Scott Card. Note that there is a boycott on Card's work due to some of his extremest statements about LGBT folk. Entirely too much of that going 'round. I prefer not to give him money, but your local library already has. His views don't show through much in these books. (I don't remember that they did at all, actually). Le Guin's views show through clearly, but they are better views. The reason I suggested the early stuff is that she gets a bit strident and less subtle as time goes on. The views are still good (in my view), but the books less interesting.

Brave New World, Huxley

1984, Orwell. I wrote a college paper once comparing these two. The original paper got an A. The follow up, an F. Go figure. I worked harder on the second, but lost insight.

Explore for yourself at http://www.goodreads.com/genres/science-fiction

The Helliconia Series by Brian Aldiss. Not entirely unrelated to some things said here (OTT) already.

Anything by Neil Gaiman

I find anything involving two-way time travel to be extremely boring. There are few problems you can't solve if you can go back and change history. Exciting shoot-em ups, but no real tension.

Nearly anything by C. J. Cherryh. She does both fantasy and scifi, but doesn't herself think there is a difference. Her TrueName is Cherry, but her publisher made her change it, thinking no one would take her seriously. Take her seriously. I found Gate of Iverel (Morgaine Series) to be wonderful.

The Tom Rynosseros series by Terry Dowling is absolutely first rate. Best read in order. They are hard to find, published in Australia. Lots of interleaving threads including AI, desert travel, alternate history... Marvelous.

Natural History, by Justina Robson. Funny too.

I don't need to mention Harry Potter, Discworld, LotR, of course.

Leaving scifi behind, anything by Jorge Amado (historical stuff from Brazil) or Gabriel García Márquez (especially One Hundred Years of Solitude, and Love in the Time of Cholera.)

There is a new translation (in English) Iliad that is a marvelous read.

Captain Horatio Hornblower. One of my favorite series as a kid. Hornblower rises through the ranks during the Napoleonic wars.

More to come, but that should keep you busy enough.

Ooh! Excellent list! I shall have to save it for myself. (FTF)

I suppose they are moving too swiftly, or the current is too strong for them to jam their poles into the river bed and try to come to a stop. It might work if they do it from the newly designated "front" of the raft (thank you for pointing that out, Cueball). I do not suppose they made sandbags that could be used as anchors of sorts, either.

@mscha Oh, OK. Yeah. I see what you did there. :lol:
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Prosthetic_Lips

Postby Prosthetic_Lips » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:41 pm UTC

ttscp wrote:
Angua wrote:The Chanur series by C J Cherryh.

Anything by Cherryh.
Also, although it is not a series, all the books are set in the same universe: the Discworld books by Prachett.

I just wanted to jump in on the book recommendations. You lead off by asking for things to follow Pern, so I'm assuming you like more Fantasy than Sci-Fi.

If you like humorous, pun-filled, relatively shallow: Piers Anthony's Xanth series. He's passed a trilogy of trilogies of trilogies (3 ^ 3), and still writing. He writes them in 3's, so when you get tired of the puns, stop reading (much like the recommendation of Frank Herbert's Dune -- I would say read 2 of that series, and see if you want to keep going).

C J Cherryh's Foreigner series was a mixed bag for me -- the action was ok, but the intrigue / backstabbing / posturing was way more interesting than it has been in other books that tried to add "court intrigue."

Terry Goodkind wrote 7 books about "Legend of the Seeker" (there was even a TV adaptation that was so-so), kind of "high fantasy" stuff. The middle books gave me the feeling he didn't want the series to end, so he started bringing in other "villains" to continue things, but that is just my opinion.

I read 2 Gaiman novels, but probably won't read any more. Just not my thing.

If you want more sci-fi, Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game has a movie out in November; Niven's Ringworld, Integral Trees, etc. are all very well done; I've read every Heinlein book I could find in used book stores.

Finally, there are lots of "top 100" lists out there; I've enjoyed grabbing a book from there to see if I enjoy that author. The people have spoken, and there is a reason that a book gets on a list like that (sales, votes, whatever).

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:42 pm UTC

Page one thousand and
two hundred and thirty-four
Marked with this Haikku.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:42 pm UTC

Random832 wrote:Here's an enlargement

Sorry, Communicating Epic Fail on my part. :oops:

I'd already zoomed in on the St. Aubronwood Edition of the OTC to get my count. I was just hoping someone had better eyes than me when they zoomed in as well. My eyes start to defocus just after 10 and I'm not sure I'm even counting heads anymore, or just the void space between heads.

Thanks, though, for posting a Zoom In --- And Enhance for the OTT.

Edit: (hope this goes through right, curse my employer's YouTube block!) In honor of page 1234 : www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABYnqp-bxvg

FallenMax

Postby FallenMax » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:46 pm UTC

Well, I made some CSS adjustment to make threads easier to read, preview here: stylebot.me/styles/3025
To apply, install chrome extension "stylebot", and click on its toolbar icon -> install style from social -> install XKCD Forum - Compact layout :)

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:49 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
DavidRa wrote:NB This predicting the end of time thing is addictive!

Yep, that it is.

My prediction for the next frame:
Megan wrote:Oh chirp.

OO, Pope.
I decree that all who feel like it shall advise me on a good book series to start once I have finished Anne McCaffrey's Pern series.

Not on that page anymore, but I was a-coma for it. I'd also recommend the Ender's Game series (although I see I've been ninja'd by charlie_grumbles).
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:49 pm UTC

Prosthetic_Lips wrote:I just wanted to jump in on the book recommendations. You lead off by asking for things to follow Pern, so I'm assuming you like more Fantasy than Sci-Fi.

I wanted to toss one recomendation into the mix -- the Soul Rider series by Jack Chalker.
There is a HUGE spoiler involved, anyone who knows what it is, please don't tell....

I seem to prefer the stories that when the later revelations come out, you can read/view/listen to the story again with the new info, and it makes it a completely different story.
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:51 pm UTC

here, BlitzGirl wrote:*though the debris next to it has changed

Raft hits rock and skews.
Camera keeps a broadside view.
Background shifts behind.

Jose
Last edited by ucim on Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:55 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

joselynmay

Postby joselynmay » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:54 pm UTC

My posts are showing up now! *Thank you mods*

As most people wouldn't have seen my first post as it was way back (in the depths of Time) I will just repeat myself a little bit.

I am now de-lurking! I have been here since (almost) the beginning and I have read through most of the OTT.

I was wondering if they might think of using all of the big tree branches floating around the raft as a rudder to steer by, or as oars to power themselves?

I second (or is it third now) the recommendation for the Earthsea series by Ursula K. Le Guin.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:56 pm UTC

More on Discworld.

It is actually several series. Not essential to read them in order, but see
http://www.lspace.org/books/reading-order-guides/
I Blitzread Discworld. I found http://www.lspace.org to be helpful in general.

There are three books, hard to find outside Britain. The Science of Discworld discuss real science in the context of Pratchett's work. He participated, but wasn't the main author.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:00 pm UTC

ONG
One world, one soul

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:06 pm UTC

SBN wrote:Raymond E. Feist has some good ones. I'm not sure where the best place to start is. But then I'm also not sure it is possible to finish the Pern series. McCaffrey's got some other works that are very good too. I liked the Petaybee series, maybe more than Pern.

The only Krondor book I haven't read is Magician's End and that's just because it wasn't released yet the last time I ordered a supply of books. Extremely awefullsomely good suggestion by the way. I enjoyed them immensely.
It is possible to finish the Pern series, there are "only" 22 books according to Wikipedia and I have read 12 of them since somewhere this spring (there are some advantages to 1 hour of train rides each workday). This means there are only approximately 10 weeks of books left on the Dragonriders of Pern. I will have to check her other works, I enjoyed the non-Pern stories in that book, I believe it was The Girl Who Heard Dragons, and I would not mind spending a few extra hours in those worlds.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:06 pm UTC

mikro2nd wrote:ONG

Our rope isn't strong enough! Hold this or you'll fall.

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:09 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:Our rope isn't strong enough! Hold this or you'll fall.

This quote has become the new "He will knock four times..."

foilman

Postby foilman » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:09 pm UTC

I hope someone's good at throwing rope... that's quite a distance between them.

Oh and hello page 1234, nice to see you.

RobIrr

Postby RobIrr » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:10 pm UTC

Thanks for the kind comments.

ucim wrote:
RobIrr wrote:In the meantime, and partly to explain one of the distractions, might I request anybody with a spare 2 minutes 20 seconds to spare, go here and watch my darling daughter in her first lead role in a film, and if you like it, and if you've got Twitter, click the Tweet button underneath to vote for the film.
Very treeish! Is your daughter the one getting married?

No, mine's Alice, the littlest one :)
RobIrr, Bishop of the Diocese of Recursive Magic Kingdoi.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:11 pm UTC

Been a long time since I last posted... May be another long time before I post again...

But:

The OTC is still amazing, and I'm still keeping up! Who'd a thunk that from two simple stick figures sitting on a beach would have arisen this massive saga?!?!?! Not I, and I'm awestruck to see it still going, and still adding new characters, plot, events, intrigue, and immense WOW factor, lo, all these many, many frames later!

The OTT is still amazing, but I'm not keeping up, alas... A snippet here and there; a micro-bingish blitz from time to time; and then the Outside pulls me away. At some point, a FULL, complete blitz might be in order to retro-experience it in it's awesome fullness. But for now, it's hit or miss.

But today I post and I send a warm and earnest hello to all!!!!

And I'm in on the counting page! Woot! My OCD loves it!!!!

I'll try and post again some time before page 12,345...
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:12 pm UTC

I think it's time to find out if LaPetite really did learn how to swim in rivers.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:13 pm UTC

Indeed, this seems like the perfect scene for Cueball's dream to become prophetic.
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:16 pm UTC

Hi Stratplayer!!! :mrgreen:

Oh, wait, are they floating "up river" parallel to one another?
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:18 pm UTC

foilman wrote:I hope someone's good at throwing rope... that's quite a distance between them.

Oh and hello page 1234, nice to see you.

Perhaps they could tie the rope to a rock, and launch it with a trebuchet?
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:19 pm UTC

Thanks for all the awefulsome advices on books. That should keep me going for a couple of years.

I feel that the rope incident will not occur yet. It will not happen while they try to get the boat to the raft.
They'll hang the boat close behind the raft. In a fewpix the sea will become quite wild, due to a storm induced by the drag on the in rushing water. Then the rope incident will occur.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Sh1ft

Postby Sh1ft » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:21 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:Hi Stratplayer!!! :mrgreen:

Oh, wait, are they floating "up river" parallel to one another?

My n00bish take is that the "ramp" on the left of the frame is where the river now meets the sea so the big raft is upstream of the small (crowded) raft.

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:21 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:Been a long time since I last posted... May be another long time before I post again...

Funny, just a little bit earlier today I was wondering where you've been... this needle-pulled thing needs more metal ;) Glad you found the time to pop in.
One world, one soul

Scott Auld

Postby Scott Auld » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:22 pm UTC

I feel bad now for calling them stupid, for not knowing anything about the sea or rivers, back in late May or early June. I didn't know they were prehistoric folks. :oops:

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:22 pm UTC

This quote could have had more tension in it in this way:
If, in Cueball's dream (which he does not remember), he had followed this with "No! Noooo!" and THEN Megan woke him up, there could have been a really good setup for later, in a very JMS/Babylon 5 manner.
Like this: After SEVERAL things involving rope happen, the situation FINALLY arises in which Cueball actually says "Our rope isn't strong enough!" On the other side of the panel, Megan gets exclamation marks - "!!!". She then knocks people out of the way to get to Cueball, and thus prevents the "Nooo!" from happening.

But it was not to be. Oh well.

cryptoengineer

Postby cryptoengineer » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:24 pm UTC

NetWeasel wrote:Carolina Morning Ketchupping...
keithl wrote:Flags flapping in the breeze ...

A larger sea will have more evaporation, making more rising moisture, clouds, water vapor saturated winds swirling up into the clouds, dry winds swirling down. That is, cyclonic winds and rain. The very fast moving incoming water will draw a lot of air with it, too. Not sure if this will make megacell thunderstorms, high winds, tornados and hurricanes, but lets assume (for dramatic purposes) the air will get frisky, too.

This was my question as well... In addition to all that you have the onrushing high speed, high kinetic energy water colliding with bedrock creating even more water vapor, which should lead to "40 days and nights" of high intensity storms.
(Especially east of Sicily, where they don't get any flood for a couple of days(?) yet.)
But that part's not important in this story. As far as we know.
However, there could be someone south of Greece, who was warned by the Beanies, who is just finishing a big boat full of animals.....
Latent22 wrote:So I take it to do this we would speak the lines then reverse the direction and listen to the output. Then get the voice actor to speak close to what the reversed output sounds like and then reverse that and it will sound sort of like English but hard to understand and weird right?

Years ago, I heard on Dr. Demento a recording that someone had done using that technique to reverse-copy-re-reverse Frank Sinatra's "New York, New York." (EDIT: With full instrumentation - was weird.) I think the technique would work for a beginning, with overlaying the other words, and using "um" and "ah" over the parts we can't read.
Also, the non-english for accent - great idea, but send them the reversed sound to phonetically duplicate...

I strongly urge you to check Prisencolinensinainciusol out - It's how an pop song in English sounds if you don't understand English, and is superb - I sometimes play it for people, and it's amazing how people try to pull comprehension out of it. It's one of the strangest thing's I've ever heard. The dancing is cool, too.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:26 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
Angelastic wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:The haiku return
A breath of fresh air within
An impatient Time

Spoiler:
And the newbie asks:
Has anybody noticed
that that's a haiku?

The next newbie asks:
Has anybody noticed
there's some JavaScript?

The third newbie asks:
Has anybody noticed
the image changes?

The fifth newbie asks:
Has anybody noticed
there's an FAQ?

The sixth newbie asks:
Has anybody noticed
there's no fourth newbie?

Then they ask about
finite possibilities
of plural Lego.

I'm worried--what happened to the fourth newbie?

The Great Lord Randall
redacted the fourth newbie,
for xe was mustard.

Pikrass wrote:For me, the way GLR drew her speech was only to make it difficult to understand. It was a visual trick to give us the same feeling as Cuegan who heard it, not something related to the way she pronounces Unglish. The grey words could just be hesitations. For me, a non-native English speaker struggling to speak is just the way to do this.

I agree… it should be someone with a strong accent who says or starts to say the various grey words but finally corrects herself to the black text. There's nothing supernatural about Rosetta's voice, but the hesitations weren't written out because it would've taken too much space.

The raft goes backwards!
An ingenious solution:
Let's call this the front.

Hey, remember when I made an analogy between extra dimensions and spin-1/2 particles and Möbius strips? Well, I'm reading Quantum Reality by Jonathan Allday so that I can make more-accurate, less-handwavy analogies about quantum physics, and he has a nice spin-1/2 analogy involving a coffee cup.

What you do is attach one end of an elastic band to a reference point (he suggests something far far away, in space, but the photos show something that looks like a bookcase) and the other end to the handle of the coffee mug. If you rotate the coffee mug 360°? so that the band wraps around the mug, then slip the band off the mug, the coffee mug looks the same but you end up with a twist in the band. If you do it again, you have two twists in the band, but these can be removed by looping the band over the to of the mug, so you're back to your starting point.

For now I like the Möbius version better because it also has chirality (well, I guess you can just turn the mug the other way) and the whole add-a-dimension-get-a-property-free thing, and all you need to demonstrate it is either paper and adhesive or a label from a soda bottle, but given that a coffee cup is essentially a doughnut (topologically speaking) I think Allday's analogy is potentially tastier. However, it is also possible to make Möbius strips out of bagels (or doughnuts), so maybe we should just spread six flavours of quark on our baked tori and declare quantum physics as a whole delicious.

By the way, the section immediately after the coffee cup analogy is called Time. It's all related.

a great introduction to quantum physics𝛆 and the actual mathematics4 behind it. It explains concepts like complex numbers and matrix multiplication before using them, so you don't need to know a lot of mathematics before starting, but if you are terrified by equations or algebra it might not be for you.
a guy who writes physics books that have funny footnotes.
?A degree sign, not a Beanish question mark.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:27 pm UTC

Hi, StratPlayer !!! Image So wonderful to see you. :)

rvloon wrote:
Valarya wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:Oh, I'm Cueball! Yay! Image

And yay, I'm Megan! Image

Just for reference, does this also conclude the selection of people that wanted to marry yappo? Real romance between the two of you would soooo enhance the recording experience :)

I'm definitely part of the club of people who wants to marry yappo. :P There was an acronym for it, but I can't remember and search is failing.

Neil_Boekend wrote:I decree that all who feel like it shall advise me on a good book series to start

I liked a ton of stuff that was on Professor Grumbles' list.. so I'll repeat some of them, but I'll add a few of my own. Spoilered, of course.
Spoiler:
    * A song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin (Game of Thrones)
    * The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss (Name of the Wind)
    * Realm of the Elderlings by Robin Hobb (Farseer Trilogy)
    * Coldfire Trilogy by C.S. Friedman
    * Magister Trilogy by C.S. Friedman
    * Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
    * Foundation series by Isaac Asimov

Here are some cupcakes
To celebrate the newpage
1234. Yum!
Spoiler:
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:33 pm UTC

Prosthetic_Lips wrote:
ttscp wrote:
Angua wrote:The Chanur series by C J Cherryh.

Anything by Cherryh.
Also, although it is not a series, all the books are set in the same universe: the Discworld books by Prachett.

I just wanted to jump in on the book recommendations. You lead off by asking for things to follow Pern, so I'm assuming you like more Fantasy than Sci-Fi.

If you like humorous, pun-filled, relatively shallow: Piers Anthony's Xanth series. He's passed a trilogy of trilogies of trilogies (3 ^ 3), and still writing. He writes them in 3's, so when you get tired of the puns, stop reading (much like the recommendation of Frank Herbert's Dune -- I would say read 2 of that series, and see if you want to keep going).

I had to jump in with two more book series that I haven't seen mentioned yet. Slight blindpost so I hope no one has ninja'ed me on these. (Actually, I hope someone *has*. . .they're great books and I hope other people like them too!)

"The Belgariad" (5 books) and "The Malloreon" (5 books) by David Eddings - my favorite book series of all time. Fantasy series about a young boy growing up on a farm who discovers he and his aunt are actually a lot more important to the world than he thought. The books have a kind of "Lord of the Rings" feel to them in the sense where a group of people (of multiple "D&D classes") gradually assembles along the way to saving the world - but the books are lighter in tone and an easier read than LOTR. There are also 3-4 additional books (like LOTR's "Silmarillion") that tell additional background history when you're done.

"The Apprentice Adept" (5 books, I think) by Piers Anthony. Fantasy/SF series about a man who discovers there are two worlds that occupy the same space - one based in science, one based in fantasy - and he alone can cross over between the two. In the "science" world, he is an insignificant worker who excels in playing a very interesting game; in the "fantasy" world, he is a very powerful wizard.
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:34 pm UTC

cryptoengineer wrote:I strongly urge you to check Prisencolinensinainciusol out - It's how an pop song in English sounds if you don't understand English, and is superb - I sometimes play it for people, and it's amazing how people try to pull comprehension out of it. It's one of the strangest thing's I've ever heard. The dancing is cool, too.

THANK YOU!!! I... just... words no have... Instantly bookmarked!
Again... THANK YOU!!!!

Edit: This is not off topic, BTW. cryptoengineer may have just found what Rosetta sounds like....
...if she were Bob Dylan.
Last edited by NetWeasel on Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:43 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

b2bomberkrh

Re: HMS Ketchup

Postby b2bomberkrh » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:35 pm UTC

Arky wrote:Series: Timothy Zahn's Conquerors trilogy. Book 1 comes across as an interesting "first contact" scenario between a "United Federation of Planets" type of humanity and a hostile alien race. Book 2 brilliantly switches POV to the aliens, one of the best bits of alien world-and-society building exercises I've ever read. Book 3? You'll just have to get there....

As an individual book, since it's within my sightline from here, I liked it very much and it has that sci-fi fantasy crossover feel that Pern does (although with more humour) I recommend The Rook by Daniel O'Malley.

Big agreement on the Conquerors trilogy, I was going to suggest it on my own. Shockingly unwellknown for how good I think it is. I'm not sure if I read back far enough to catch everyone's recommendations, but I will add "Startide Rising" by David Brin (there isn't much by him that I wouldn't recommend), and if you're a fan of fantasy, you should definitely check out "In the Name of the Wind" and "A Wise Man's Fear" by Patrick Rothfuss. The series isn't complete yet, but it's the best ongoing work of fantasy hands down, in my opinion. Oh, and one more, "To Say Nothing of the Dog" by Connie Willis.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:37 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:I'm definitely part of the club of people who wants to marry yappo. :P There was an acronym for it, but I can't remember and search is failing.
MYQM
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

Random832

Postby Random832 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:39 pm UTC

Scott Auld wrote:I feel bad now for calling them stupid, for not knowing anything about the sea or rivers, back in late May or early June. I didn't know they were prehistoric folks. :oops:

They're not prehistoric, exactly - it's, as near as we can tell, a post-apocalyptic future where humanity in general has reverted to a lower level of technology, and their specific group also has no contact with anyone from outside their region.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”