1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Marsh'n

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Marsh'n » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:28 pm UTC

Speaking only for myself (and not for other blitzers who may still be in transit), I am glad I am having the opportunity to meet up with you in real time at this momentous newpix. So particular thanks to Dracomax whose sig got me to pop up to the present from NP235.
I am sobbing and laughing (to yappobiscuit's Every Newframe's Awefulsome playing in background) and very excited by what we all have in store together.

I think I shall return to the blitzing shortly, but I wanted to add that you can count me in the "not going anywhere" crowd. I love all y'all and will still wait for "it", or possibly the newer and larger IT that we're all a part of now.

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:29 pm UTC

...and suddenly, posting has become tough.

But here we go anyway. Most of us here now know more about the Zanclean Flood than we did weeks/months ago. And we know that that can't be the end -- there are still one or more stages to the full event. We still do not know how the Med got plugged, or how it got unplugged. We do not have enough info to decipher the Beanie language.

But we have gotten a "The End" and a link to Geekwagon.

Someone HAS archived the frames in case they fall off the XKCD servers, yes?

In retrospect, the last bit reminds me of season 4 of Babylon 5 -- when JMS suddenly had to squeeze a 5 year story into 4 years... somewhere in the middle to end of the Run Down The Mountain, it changed. I hope there wasn't an event (a bad one) in GLR's life that made him cut this short...

More later -- too much to say at one time.

But now there is time. Time for reflection, and time for analysis.

Y'all have been great -- I'll be back.
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:29 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:I cant. Nope, I wont. I am staying, that is it. I don't want to cry.

Good. Because I don't know how how many people will fit in the OTT's basement.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:30 pm UTC

I got about halfway through an OTTification of "closing Time" before I decided I wan''t going to do it. not leaving. The other major forum I've been in lately has been so toxic...and here it is so not that I just want to stay and explore time with you some more.

So as far as I'm concerned, Time may or may not be over. the OTT may close, but we aren't leaving.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:31 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
jeffallen55 wrote:Well ladies and gentlemopes, that was a fun ride. I just wish I'd gotten involved with the OTT earlier. I stopped by maybe 2 months ago, but I got scared off by all the words that didn't mean anything to me.
My prediction for future ONGs is that there's 2 or 3 different ones that will just loop forever, sort of like the runoff groove on a record, so that the waves just continue to lap at the shore.
I was very disappointed by the ending, but I do trust that GLR had this in his mind from the beginning. This is how it was intended to be. And that's fine.

Spoiler:

You mean: Image

FTFY. HTH.

Ronald
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:31 pm UTC

yappo, Thank you for the great ottifications.

Just listened to "Every Newframe's Awefulsome". Made me smile and laugh and feel good. (Then there was a glitch near the end and it stopped playing with a minute left to go, and the hairs on the back of my neck stood up. But it was just on me and it started working again.)

And now just heard "The Knights Temporal Song". (Another glitch. Must be all the other OTTers listening.) Loved the animation on this one. Simple, not crude.

And, finally "Megan and Cue". Very touching.

Great variety of musical styles, too.

And just for the kicks: 1st vid (at time of watching): 9 views; 2nd vid: 11 views; and 3rd vid: 11 views......
Last edited by pelrigg on Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:37 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

hunjoh

Postby hunjoh » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:31 pm UTC

asmodai wrote:And, you know... the biggest question of all, at least for me:

Why was it called "Time"?
Was that a simple way of making sure people cottoned on to the fact that the frame would change?

I expected something different. Metaphor, theme, allusion... just.. not nothing.

I mean, it was a great ride. It really was. But I can't not pick this nit.

I have always thought that this comic gave Randall the time to try something new, to be able to spend all of that time on one story line, and to stretch a single comic out over months. In short, "Time" is what is unique about this comic from Randall's point of view....

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:32 pm UTC

So, I started tonight's ketchup. I was about 10 newpages behind but then I was falling more and more behind... When I got to -15 newpages, I was like - Ok, something must be happening, probably more action. So I went to mscha's viewer and watched the One True Comic myself---

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Well, THAT was UNEXPECTED!
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

---so that explains why I wasn't able to ketchup.

So, this is...

[Warning, Doctor Who Spoilers (Season 1 & 4) ahead, click links on your own risk]

Right now, I feel the same as I felt when watching The End of Time... Wait. Wow. No, I didn't realize the connection until I wrote this.

I want to thank EVERYONE in this amazing thread, it was a wonderful TIME. The biggest thanks goes to ...wait for it... GREAT LORD RANDALL MUNROE for creating this extraordinary experience. It was fantastic. Absolutely fantastic. And you know what? So were we.

ImageImageImage

Probably The Last Redundant Spoiler:
Spoiler:
(no kitties, this is too sad for kitties)
xkcd-time-final-IT.png

But this is not the end of OTT, is it? There is scienceeg. OTVO to be done, so it will be still alive, right?
Last edited by NoMouse on Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:23 am UTC, edited 4 times in total.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:32 pm UTC

Some of my thoughts on the ending.

I seem to recall that the Winnie the Pooh books end (more or less because the real Christopher Robin was growing up) with characters walking off into the woods. It's sad but we all grow up, or at least older.

What I find sad is that I could be walking by other OTTers in the future and never know we'd crossed paths (unless we all decide to wear hats reading "Molpy Up" forever :) ). We met here for no clear reason, and had a great time. Off we go.

You guys have been wonderful, and I'll miss you even if you don't vote for me :mrgreen:

And finally, I can't help thinking of the end of The Truman Show: we'll turn to ourselves and say, "Well, what's new on {Boingboing / Slashdot / Reddit / Westeros Blog } ?
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:33 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Opiboble wrote:I cant. Nope, I wont. I am staying, that is it. I don't want to cry.

Sorry, it was a moment of weakness. I don't like loosing friends, and I have made some here, the one I miss the most is Helper, she is still MIA and I cant help but think that I will never be able to launch kitty litter bombs with trebuchets with her again... *sobs*
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

tavella

Postby tavella » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:33 pm UTC

Hmm, any bets on the number of frames we get of waves before it starts looping/freezes? I feel like there's still time for an after-credits bit with the hedgehog or Lucky. Or maybe the raft will just gently lift on the oncoming waves until the screen goes black.

HES

Postby HES » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:33 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:I'm actually not dissapointed in the ending. it was a bit sudden, but it has been coming for a while. it makes sense, and quite frankly, it invokes one of my favorite ending tropes. Megan and Cueball are still out there, exploring, discovering things. it's kind of a beautiful way to end it, really.

At risk of repeating myself, while the end has been coming for a while, we've been deliberately ignorant to the signs, thinking that if we wish hard enough it wouldn't happen.

We didn't wish hard enough.

BlitzGirl wrote:

We'd better move the comfy chair and trebuchet out the way. (hmm, comfy trebuchet?)
He/Him/His Image

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:35 pm UTC

HES wrote:
Dracomax wrote:I'm actually not dissapointed in the ending. it was a bit sudden, but it has been coming for a while. it makes sense, and quite frankly, it invokes one of my favorite ending tropes. Megan and Cueball are still out there, exploring, discovering things. it's kind of a beautiful way to end it, really.

At risk of repeating myself, while the end has been coming for a while, we've been deliberately ignorant to the signs, thinking that if we wish hard enough it wouldn't happen.

BlitzGirl wrote:

We'd better move the comfy chair and trebuchet out the way. (hmm, comfy trebuchet?)

We can move the bags of M&M's and Skittles too. Just don't leave them out in the sun.
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:37 pm UTC

When the Song of Ice and Fire forums used to be hosted by EZBoards, I was 'in it' deep with a bunch of people in one specific thread, much like this. And then ezboards was shutting down and the whole forums was being moved (to it's current location). Those of us in this clique didn't want it to end, so we formed our own forums, on the side, whilst some of us still posted in the main SOIAF forums.

I just wanted to put it out there since the MAJORITY of people in this thread don't post anywhere else in the forum (which is fine. Like the sea, we do what we want), perhaps IF, IF this thread gets locked, we have a backup forum in case we don't want to infiltrate the rest of these.

20 minutes til new ONG <3
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Chinchokmataa

Postby Chinchokmataa » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:39 pm UTC

This has been a beautiful comic. Unique and one of a kind, and it also produced this utterly amazing thread with just a crazy amount of wonderful, unique, and fantastic people. I thank GLR for making this all possible, and I thank you guys for your deep dedication to this, absorbing every single bit of detail from this that would just be missed by someone watching the frames go by.

Whatever happens now, I think we can all say that we have all been effected by a truly wonderful experience. But of course, I think we'll have more as we go into the future, but for those we will have to...

Spoiler:
:wink:

(Note to Blitzgirl's angry kitty, this isn't goodbye just yet!)

Also, if this is really it, I believe that Time has fulfilled the Loopist prediction. If you start from the current frame in the comic, then follow the link to geekwagon and watch the story, you end up back at the same frame that is on the comic.
Last edited by Chinchokmataa on Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:43 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:39 pm UTC

We're bombing the xkcd fora again. Haha! Over the last 10 Newpages the post number has increased by 525, with 400 of those posts being in the OTT. We've been over 75% of the activity across the entire xkcd fora structure this afternoon.

Random832

Postby Random832 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:40 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:When the Song of Ice and Fire forums used to be hosted by EZBoards, I was 'in it' deep with a bunch of people in one specific thread, much like this. And then ezboards was shutting down and the whole forums was being moved (to it's current location). Those of us in this clique didn't want it to end, so we formed our own forums, on the side, whilst some of us still posted in the main SOIAF forums.

I just wanted to put it out there since the MAJORITY of people in this thread don't post anywhere else in the forum (which is fine. Like the sea, we do what we want), perhaps IF, IF this thread gets locked, we have a backup forum in case we don't want to infiltrate the rest of these.

I can write a userscript to hilight people who have posted in the OTT, it can be like a secret handshake.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:41 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
HES wrote:

BlitzGirl wrote:

We can move the bags of M&M's and Skittles too. Just don't leave them out in the sun.

I'll take care of those Skittles for you.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Magdiragdag

Postby Magdiragdag » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:41 pm UTC

Wait... what?

*unsure whether to start applauding already or not*

*gives standing ovation*

Wow. Really neat. Thank you, Mr Munroe. This is a great work of art.
And linking to geekwagon is just awesome.

ETA: I would change my sig to 'I waited for it, therefore I was'. But yeah, spoilers...
Last edited by Magdiragdag on Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:44 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
I wait for it, therefore I am.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:42 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Next, The Knights Temporal Song
(Based on "Knights of the Round Table" from Monty Python and the Holy Grail, originally ottified by me here - and with some lines improved upon from the original)

Whee! So much fun! And the animation was actually perfect for the song. A very Python/OTT-esque hybrid!
(For some reason my favorite part is when you show the river and then the sea. Loved that!)

Chinchokmataa wrote:(Note to Blitzgirl's angry kitty, this isn't goodbye just yet!)

Good. :)
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:43 pm UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:
edo wrote:
mscha wrote:(Title tag still “The end.”, still links to heretical archive.)

If The Lord shines down and says, "This is my son, with whom I am well pleased," It's kind of hard to call him heretical...

Just sayin...

Would you please change that sig?

I just want to point out that during The Fading, people put comments in their sigs that they thought time was ending. It encouraged some people to blitz faster, or just go to the present. I think it's what encouraged BlitzGirl to sprint through the end of her blitz. BlitzGirl, what do you think?

Dracomax wrote:Well, at least nobody here is so far gone as to suggest that we continue the OTC

yet.

Actually, I think someone has. :)

Roia wrote:Delurking. I've been following for ages but not logged in and I've loved watching this thread develop. It's been so much fun... I feel so weird right now; the world is all going on around me and I feel like my world just changed dramatically, the way it does when you finish beautiful book... :(

Roia! Nice to see you again, even if it is at a sad time. (I WON'T say "at the end." I won't I won't I won't you can't make me la la la la)

Alright, I've already stayed at work 1 1/2 newpix :P past when I was supposed, mostly because I can't tear myself away from the computer. But I'm going to head home now, and when I get there I'll listen to yappo's songs and see what the OTC holds...

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

b2bomberkrh

Postby b2bomberkrh » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:43 pm UTC

Ok, I have to molpy out for the evening, I'll be back later, to see if the water is still rising. I have an appropriate avatar now, here's hoping hats are still available!!!

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:44 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:Yesssss! I've been waiting on the every major's general OTTification yappo-original for quite some time! YAY! You're awesome, as always. :oops: :D I have no earthly idea how the mustard you said this line "I'd rather lick a pricklymolp than thwap a leopard with a stick." How many takes did that ... take?
(But now that the OTC is reaching it's end, I'm even more mad at not having my very own yappo-emoticon for these past couple hundred NPs. :P )

BlitzGirl wrote:Image Bravo! That is a chirp of a song to sing, and I loved your chirpin' mustards and such in the pauses. :) Plus, the way you say schedule is fun - schedule, schedule...

mscha wrote:⁷... That was awefulsome indeed, yappo!
I'm saving the others for later. (I think you should've posted one now, one tomorrow, one Sunday, or something like that, so that people have something to come back for.)

pelrigg wrote:yappo, Thank you for the great ottifications.

BlitzGirl wrote:Whee! So much fun! And the animation was actually perfect for the song. A very Python/OTT-esque hybrid!
(For some reason my favorite part is when you show the river and then the sea. Loved that!)

Thanks my lovelies! :mrgreen:
Val, I think ChronosDragon made a yappo smiley a while back, in return for me making one for him...
BlitzGirl - Yeah, it's a randalldamned chirp of a song to sing indeed. The others I didn't really need to practise much, I just popped the lyrics on the screen and recorded after a quick warmup. But for that one I needed to go over and over every line a mustard-ton of times before I was getting them right! And what's weird about my schedules? :P Schedule schedule schedule...
mscha - Maybe you're right, I think that would've been a better idea. Chirp. Ah well, too late now, can't be helped.
cellocgw wrote:I seem to recall that the Winnie the Pooh books end (more or less because the real Christopher Robin was growing up) with characters walking off into the woods. It's sad but we all grow up, or at least older.

Oh wow, makes my "Megan and Cue" ottification even more poignant! I put that one last since it has the kinda sweet, poignant end with the night sky and the meteor, and now it makes even more sense to have done it that way! :mrgreen:
Valarya wrote:When the Song of Ice and Fire forums used to be hosted by EZBoards, I was 'in it' deep with a bunch of people in one specific thread, much like this. And then ezboards was shutting down and the whole forums was being moved (to it's current location). Those of us in this clique didn't want it to end, so we formed our own forums, on the side, whilst some of us still posted in the main SOIAF forums.

I do like the idea of having our own space on the interwebs rather than invading these poor old xkcd fora. Maybe we should also get a facebook group going, for anyone who's into that. I know a few people in the past have said they don't like FB and never want to get one, but for those of us who do, maybe?
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:45 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
Spoiler:
Opiboble wrote:
HES wrote:

BlitzGirl wrote:

I'll take care of those Skittles for you.

Okay, but don't get them stuck in your I/O ports.

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:45 pm UTC

Ok, I have a question - Should we deliver the message to the blitzers?

Now, excuse me, I have to coma.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

Eliram

Postby Eliram » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:45 pm UTC

Ketchup => what? => wtf? => bummer => applause to GLR => awe to the OTT => keep ketchuping the responses => hoping for "The End... Of part I" => going ONG => mscha, I used your site just this morning, mobile users should definately use it and not GW => Happy 2k BlitzGirl => thinking that maybe nobody is going to read this reply => smiling when reflecting at the OTC. => Can't wait for the computer game.

P.S. It should have said "FIN".
It's about time.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:46 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
Zorin_75 wrote:
edo wrote:Just sayin...

Would you please change that sig?

I just want to point out that during The Fading, people put comments in their sigs that they thought time was ending. It encouraged some people to blitz faster, or just go to the present. I think it's what encouraged BlitzGirl to sprint through the end of her blitz. BlitzGirl, what do you think?

It was encouraging, but that was because everyone thought Time was endING. I don't know if it's as sigcouraging to put that Time has endED.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

jrincayc

Postby jrincayc » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:46 pm UTC

We still can wait and see if the tides go up and down, and the amount and frequency should give us an idea if the Mediterranean has rejoined the rest of the oceans.

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:46 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Next, The Knights Temporal Song
(Based on "Knights of the Round Table" from Monty Python and the Holy Grail, originally ottified by me here - and with some lines improved upon from the original)

And finally, Megan and Cue
(Based on "Winnie the Pooh", originally ottified by me here)

I couldn't help myself – had to watch these too.
Awesomeful, as always. Especially the video on the last one is beautiful ... now look what you did, I'm crying again. Image
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:47 pm UTC

Magdiragdag wrote:Wait... what?

*unsure whether to start applauding already or not*

*gives standing ovation*

Wow. Really neat. Thank you, Mr Munroe. This is a great work of art.
And linking to geekwagon is just awesome.

Yes, yes, you're right.

We've been so shocked by the end*, that I've forgotten to say:
To Randall: Thank you for this long strange trip. And yes, hearty applause.
*("say it ain't so", I don't wanna go to the basement)

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:48 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
Spoiler:
Ok… I've had these ready to go for a while now, but have been putting off posting them since the OTC and OTT have been so full of excitement in recent wips, but now it's OVER, I feel the time is right.
I present not one, but THREE present presents for y'all in the form of recordings of three previously ottified songs! (With very crudely made videos).
Spoiler:
These are somewhat out of date given the recent happenings, but see them as bits of nostalgia from the simpler days of the OTC :)

Firstly, Every Newframe's Awefulsome
(Based on "The Major General's Song" from Gilbert and Sullivan's Pirates of Penzance, originally ottified by ZoomanSP here, with some lines modified by me because I found the originals too hard to fit the rhythm or just too hard to say. Needless to say, this one was the biggest challenge to sing!)

Next, The Knights Temporal Song

And finally, Megan and Cue

And downloads for all!
Every Newframe
Knights Temporal
Megan and Cue

I Image you all.

That was awesomewowterful.
I liked all of them very much. And I feel honoured that you recorded my ottification. Maybe just like you did when I ottified your Otter Pirates song. Let's call it even. :D
Oh, and your modifications were perfect, too.

I also liked Ebonite's ottification4.

And Valarya, your ottification of Into the West was wowterful.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:49 pm UTC

Eliram wrote:Ketchup => what? => wtf? => bummer => applause to GLR => awe to the OTT => keep ketchuping the responses => hoping for "The End... Of part I" => going ONG => mscha, I used your site just this morning, mobile users should definately use it and not GW => Happy 2k BlitzGirl => thinking that maybe nobody is going to read this reply => smiling when reflecting at the OTC. => Can't wait for the computer game.

P.S. It should have said "FIN".

Indeed it should have, computer game will be fun!, The OTC is GREAT!, I did, on her way to 3k!, so true, it will forever, ong!, need more for my fires, he is the GLR for sure!, I know right?, sadly, yup need more!

Sorry I read that backwards, it is my thing now, since to many people are saying goodbye.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:52 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:And finally, Megan and Cue

Okay, now this one was awefulsome in every sense...the video with the music was adorable, all of the fun OTC scenes (lol at the Lucky "friend" newpix you chose) were cute...and then the last twelve seconds made me bawl. Randamn you, yappobiscuits, for being so chirpin' good at what you do!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:53 pm UTC

Farback Blind Blitzpost no. 2.

StratPlayer wrote: . . . I remember using slide rules, but I've always preferred digital tools. The resolution and variation in how accurately you positioned the slide rule always bothered me. Even though I know there's internal rounding and loss of precision with each operation, I always got a warm fuzzy feeling in seeing all those displayed digits of not-quite accuracy from digital results: "The slide rule just says '7.2-ish'; the calculator says '7.17845620972196'. That's got to be better." :wink:
. . .

I often think of such things from a textbook I once had that didn't really understand significant digits. And all metric measurements were restated in Imperial units. It was obvious from a line similar to "The American coasts are separated by 3200-5400 km. (1988.4-3355.4 miles)"
tman2nd wrote:Another thing that this reminds me of is ASMR, which I also don't have. It's a tingling sensation that feels good, which starts on the top of the head and travels down the rest of the body. The tingles are triggered by sensory experiences like crinkling, soft speaking, slow hand movements and much more.

I get this, maybe—something like the shivers, only better. Never knew it had a ETLA.a

aExtended TLA.b
bThree Letter Acronym.
ChronosDragon wrote:Well, we already established that slices contain an indeterminate amount of ground that could easily vary even across the width of the image. I think the idea here is that GLR gives us a slice that displays exactly what he intends it to, and nothing more. We are assured that a complete world exists, but we need only see specific parts of it to understand what he is conveying.

As long as we don't believe that we don't know how anything works.

Aside: It’s really tough blitzing through 500-ish pages to catchup when you guys post one new page for every two I read!
AluisioASG wrote:
slinches wrote:
shurikt wrote:Yet another faction split: the stumpists and the termolpists!

I think you'll find that this split is along the same lines as the madagascarists vs. the general africanists

What about the Antarctica-ists?

Did we leave them in the cold?
speising wrote:it can't be Australia. they haven't been poisoned yet. also, squirrel?

Might we postulate a marsupial molpysquirrel?

I seem to be approximately 2510 km from GLR.

I’ve known people literally ROFL. However, I have yet to see anyone literally ROFLMAO.

Neil_Boekend wrote:At first glance I thought it was the standard Cthulu txt:
wikipedia wrote:His worshipers chant "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" ("In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming.")

After a few looks I saw Cthulu had been replaced with Cthclippy, replacing said ancient unimaginable horror with something that shouldn't have been imagined ever.
The house of Chtulu has been replaced with M'sword (was R'lyeh) so it makes:
"In his house at MS word, dead Clippy waits dreaming". Awesome.

A dead Clippy would be a good Clippy.
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:55 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:

I do like the idea of having our own space on the interwebs rather than invading these poor old xkcd fora. Maybe we should also get a facebook group going, for anyone who's into that. I know a few people in the past have said they don't like FB and never want to get one, but for those of us who do, maybe?

I do like the idea of another thread/forum somewhere, but if and only if this one gets locked. (Hopefully it won't. Don't the mods only lock out a thread if the posters get too rude to each other?) Of course, another thread might be fun too, I'm just not sure I'd join Facebook tho.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:57 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:And finally, Megan and Cue

As much as I'd been waiting on one of the other filks... this one is so wowterful for the shippers! Image Treeish job on the frame-selection for the video, yappo.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:57 pm UTC

Blindpost from CP1252 (which is my terminal encoding, by the way).
Valarya wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:Valarya (because 600 = SPARTA!!!!!! * 2 ― and yes, that's a pirate cupcake)
Spoiler:

Hahah, it's the best cake present I've received, yet. Thanks Aluisio :D Awesome work on the upvote script, too, although for some reason I can't install it. -_-

My domain's DNS server was hiccupping today. It seems to be working now. Try again.

Prosthetic_Lips wrote:I also was thinking about "views per post" and this thread is *WAY* low, only about 27 views per post. Must be a lot of people (guilty!) that jump to the end because it is too hard to keep viewing all the posts. Yes, a heretic and all around "double plus ungood" guy, here. :(

For some seconds I thought you was talking about me. (Ambiguous input.)

TimeLurker wrote:
Ebonite wrote:Which begs the question. . .what is the OTT's dream Hollywood casting for the OTM (One True Movie)?

I'd like to see Bruce Willis as Cueball. The age is all wrong though. Can we get a young Bruce? :D

Won't work. We didn't blow up anything so far (and no, not ROK).

Whizbang wrote:[…] and Hairdo is Ben.

dm214? I wonder why he left the tower broadcasting.
Wait. Is LaPetite Alex?
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

edo

Postby edo » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:58 pm UTC

I don't know if it is a coincidence, but the comic ran for almost 122 days, which is 1/3 of a year.

We can make a new thread here. there are silly stuff fora here. (I'm not going to join facebook.)
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:59 pm UTC

Those poor blitzers : ( So full of hope that it is still going, they are why I wont say goodbye, so I can be here when they arrive and tell them that it will all be okay.... even if it wont be.

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:00 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:I do like the idea of having our own space on the interwebs rather than invading these poor old xkcd fora. Maybe we should also get a facebook group going, for anyone who's into that. I know a few people in the past have said they don't like FB and never want to get one, but for those of us who do, maybe?

Let's not forget we have a way to find each other in real life: "the river is small!".

Oh by the way yappo, I think I listened to your "Every Newframe's Awefulsome" like 6 or 7 times in a row. It's just... well... damn too awefulsome. :D Do you mind if I share it elsewhere?
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”