1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Rule110

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Rule110 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:54 am UTC

SPACKlick wrote:
Ace wrote:Has anyone OTTified 'Once More With Feeling' yet? Would anyone mind a repeat if so?

Well the obvious one is the mustard song.

"Edit the mustard Out
Edit the mustard OOOOOOUUUUUT"

Or Dawn's lament
"Did you see the changing newpix?
did anybody hear the Ong?"

And a quick one for Sweet's departure
"What a lot of fun, you guys have been real swell!
And there's not a one, who can't say this ended well!
All those pixels we've been comparing
songs we've ottified, manips we're sharing!
OTC is done, but don't say farewell...."

I'll look at some of the others later.

I OTTified "I've Got a Theory," here. I don't recall any of the other songs OTTified, so far.

Certainly there's no problem with repeats; I wrote one of the first repeats in the thread (of Margaritaville), and if anyone were to do the entire OMWF, it would probably need a different I've Got a Theory tailored to fit.

By the way, start of a newpage. No decree, just a positional marker in case more lurkers post. In fact, I insist on it. Lurkers must post. It's past the end of Time, what else could you possibly be waiting for! It's not a decree or anything. But do it. Or else.
Last edited by Rule110 on Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:11 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

karhell

Postby karhell » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:06 pm UTC

Karhell's letters to the OTTers. No more verses, no more chapters, just facts.

Right. I'm back.
And... In the very words of TheMulattoMaker : Holy Flurking Schnitt ! We're now over 1300 newpages, and jjjdavidson is an ex-loopist ? :shock:

Surely some catastrophic event will have had taken place in the future-present-past. I might actually need a second pair of eyes to read fast enough to find out what happened...

I can't actually remember what my last letter was about; did I mention the traversing of the Baobabs ? Probably...
Aaaaaanyway, loads of exposition lately, grapes, campfires, discussion, learning of mountains, and a decision to explore them. The future looks exciting from here !

In my personal present, Megan has just encountered a squirpy (had encountered the term in a few sigs; I supposed that's what they were, and now have confirmation1).

1That's probably the most fun part of blitzing : encountering cryptic, mysterious stuff in sigs, avatars, or by other means2, and then slowly unraveling the mystery. That's how I started, That's why I carry on.

2The OTW, the Map, accidental spoilering, and so forth

reporting from NP 715 of 1303 [588 pages behind... Blimey! I was already knee-deep in the ketchup, but now I might need a submarine!]
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:15 pm UTC

karhell wrote:Karhell's letters to the OTTers. No more verses, no more chapters, just facts.

Right. I'm back.
And... In the very words of TheMulattoMaker : Holy Flurking Schnitt ! We're now over 1300 newpages, and jjjdavidson is an ex-loopist ? :shock:

Surely some catastrophic event will have had taken place in the future-present-past. I might actually need a second pair of eyes to read fast enough to find out what happened...
Spoiler:
I can't actually remember what my last letter was about; did I mention the traversing of the Baobabs ? Probably...
Aaaaaanyway, loads of exposition lately, grapes, campfires, discussion, learning of mountains, and a decision to explore them. The future looks exciting from here !

In my personal present, Megan has just encountered a squirpy (had encountered the term in a few sigs; I supposed that's what they were, and now have confirmation1).

1That's probably the most fun part of blitzing : encountering cryptic, mysterious stuff in sigs, avatars, or by other means2, and then slowly unraveling the mystery. That's how I started, That's why I carry on.

2The OTW, the Map, accidental spoilering, and so forth

reporting from NP 715 of 1303 [588 pages behind... Blimey! I was already knee-deep in the ketchup, but now I might need a submarine!]

:shock: Does karhell not know? :(
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Eternal Density

Also, molpy down.

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:18 pm UTC

I was about to ask the same. To the icecream and hugs cave!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:19 pm UTC

Blindposting from NP 1299 ─ With the mustarding comic ended I still can't keep up with the OTT. So many wonderful posts I can't reply to. So glad so many of you are still here. So happy that Randall actually talked about us in his blag (he never said a chirplin' word about "Click and Drag").

I'm still going to grab data from the OTT tonight for "End of Time" graphs; I'm glad Randall's blag post went up in time for responses to hit the OTT.

I think someone else already said this (I've been skimming on my iCh*rp then coming to a real computer to post) but I agree that the rhyme scheme should begin with 12am RDT, thus: CBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBABAED. Possibly break it into uneven but related stanzas such as: CBAE CDAED CBAED CCDC BABA with a final ED couplet.

Whizbang wrote:
Spoiler:

One of my favorite Othercomic ottifacts so far. The second panel seemed a little strained, but then, "definitely left handed" (serious 915eur!) ─ and the final panel cracked me right up. (And a terrific little redundakitty, as well!) Great job!

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:20 pm UTC

Hel-G wrote:OK, wanted to semi-ketchup before delurking and now it's seaishly well past coma-time here in CET. Wife will not be happy.

Wow. What a journey! I have been a fan of XKCD and the GLR for a long time, but the OTC leaves even Click and drag in the dust. A part of me still can't believe it has ended. I will never forget how i sneaked away from the family that Friday evening just to see a few more frames on the phone and then saw the terrible frame. Three days later, I have come to accept that it is over. The GLR's own words in the blag were some sort of consolation. Thank you Aubron for your viewer that was my portal the OTC the first months, and thanks to the people behind geekwagon that seemed to work better on the mobile I switched my reading to as the summer holiday started.

But I delurk mainly to say hello and thanks to the wowterful contributers to the OTT. I have not read it all, but someday I probably will. There are too many good things here. I had a bit of a backlog on XKCD itself after Easter, so when I found Time and consulted the forum, the OTT had already reached 10000 posts. I see from my browser history that I lurked very intermittently for the first months, but after the summer holiday began and I finally had time to read, I discovered more and more of what was going on here. The last weeks I read every newpage, hence semi-ketchuping. Keep it going!

Well. Wife has been up and complained (and rightly so...). Time to coma.

Throwing firstpost forward.

This may be a first-post, but you're definitely an OTTer! Welcome!
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Re: Ketchup Part 3

Postby Whizbang » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:21 pm UTC

Thanks all for the praise of my OTThercomic. I was just browsing the RANDOM feature and I had a flash of insight. 2 minutes later, this OTThercomic was torn, bleeding, from MS Paint (as almost all of my manips are).

yappobiscuits wrote:
Whizbang wrote:
Spoiler:

Image Awesomeful! Neat redundakitty too, surprised nobody did that one yet :P. Also, because I'm lazy, would you (or someone) mind telling me which original OtherComic that's based on?

Success

BlitzGirl wrote:Redundant:
Spoiler:

Keywords: BGUM t-shirt tee shirt tshirt colorbazooka reversebazooka reverse color bazooka frame lucky manip attack clouds

What witchery is this?

Eternal Density

Molpy popup and down again

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:26 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:Possibly break it into uneven but related stanzas such as: CBAE CDAED CBAED CCDC BABA with a final ED couplet.

Hi?

Also, welcome Hel-G!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Ace

Postby Ace » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:42 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:
SPACKlick wrote:
Ace wrote:Has anyone OTTified 'Once More With Feeling' yet? Would anyone mind a repeat if so?

Spoiler:

"Edit the mustard Out

Or Dawn's lament

I OTTified "I've Got a Theory," here. I don't recall any of the other songs OTTified, so far.

Certainly there's no problem with repeats; I wrote one of the first repeats in the thread (of Margaritaville), and if anyone were to do the entire OMWF, it would probably need a different I've Got a Theory tailored to fit.

Ooh, neat!

I saw a really well done LotR filk of the entire Once More With Feeling once: Once More With Hobbits. It was the first filk I came across, way back when, so I have a certain fondness for OMWF filks.

Time to OTTify something for myself!
Wait for it.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:46 pm UTC

@Eternal Density and others.

Have we given up on avoiding end times spoilers in our siggies? I hope not. It seems too soon. There are others still out there. Please consider the blitzers. At least a couple have not yet checked in, though it is hard to guess how they wouldn't know.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

SPACKlick

Postby SPACKlick » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:47 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:
SPACKlick wrote:

"Edit the mustard Out

Or Dawn's lament

By the way, start of a newpage. No decree, just a positional marker in case more lurkers post. In fact, I insist on it. Lurkers must post. It's past the end of Time, what else could you possibly be waiting for! It's not a decree or anything. But do it. Or else.

Sorry meant to link to your IGAT in my previous post I found it just as I was hitting post. And I don't think ti needs tailoring for a full musical, it fits fine...a whole OTT musical you say...

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:48 pm UTC

I can do one song from Once More With Feeling for you:

<ahem>

He TOOK the MUSTARD Out!
(he took the mussstarrrrd ouuuuuttttt....)

<running for the hills>

And, of course, I was ninja'd at least once. But I regret nothing. NOTHING, I tell you....
Last edited by CasCat on Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:49 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:48 pm UTC

Going for two in a row?

Redundant Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Six Words.png

Redundant Laser.png

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:51 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:Going for two in a row?
Spoiler:

Redundant Spoiler:
[spoiler]Image
Six Words.png

Redundant Laser.png
[/spoiler]

Hmm, shouldn't that be 'on the OT-T', rather than 'OT-C'

Ronald

PS: OTTerwise, well done!
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:54 pm UTC

rvloon wrote:
Whizbang wrote:Going for two in a row?
Spoiler:

Redundant Spoiler:
[spoiler]Image
Six Words.png

Redundant Laser.png
[/spoiler]

Hmm, shouldn't that be 'on the OT-T', rather than 'OT-C'

Ronald

Damn. I had hoped I had fixed that mustard before anyone noticed/commented.

Ace

Postby Ace » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:56 pm UTC

I present the laziest OTTify ever! (Standing from Once More With Feeling)

Waiting

OTC:
You're not ready for the world Outside
You keep pretending, but you just can't hide
I know I said that I'd be waiting by your side
But I...

Your path's unbeaten and it's all uphill
And you can meet it, but you never will
And I'm the reason that you're standing still
But I...

I wish I could say the right words to lead you through this land
Wish I could play the father and take you by the hand
Wish I could stay
But now I understand
I'm standing in the way

(I was reading through the lyrics, and thinking how little these fit. And then this one...)

Kind of a joke OTTification, I'll bring more OTTified ones later. Kind of a sad joke though.. Sorry.
Wait for it.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:58 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:@Eternal Density and others.

Have we given up on avoiding end times spoilers in our siggies? I hope not. It seems too soon. There are others still out there. Please consider the blitzers. At least a couple have not yet checked in, though it is hard to guess how they wouldn't know.

In a way my sig could be considered a spoiler, although not a big one. Since nobody complained I don't really feel like changing it.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:59 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:Ketchuped up. Wow less than 10 pages and there's a sea of things I want to reply to....

First (and most Important) I read, and commented on, GLR's blog on "TIME". Fantastic. I'd been thinking how "neat" it would if He did something like that and He dood it. I thing I did say in my comment was about TIME merchandise and how I would make a suggestion about it in the OTT. To whit:
Attention All OTTer's who would like to see TIME stuff at the xkcd Store....

I told GLR that we would keep the T-shirt suggestion page up to date. Therefore, I humbly* suggest that any and all merchandise be posted on the wiki page Requested T-shirt slogans. That should include BlitzGirl's Tee, yappo's tees, there was a polo shirt with a Lucky emblem, BlitzGirl's Flame Emblem (I remember several folks saying "T-shirt, please"), and any other shirts and things which you remember saying "I'd wear that" or "drink from that". Please either enter them yourself on the wiki, or "search" your own posts and bring the suggestion forward for a wiki-warrior to post. This way if GLR does want to make Time stuff He's got a convenient place to look for suggestions. (Also, it would solve the copyright problem for us.)
I didn't put a link in my blog post comment because I knew that page was out of date.

Attention All OTTer's who would like to see TIME stuff at the xkcd Store....

)

Yeah, that wiki-page is beyond my edit-grade. Here's what I found though. No promises of completeness. I'm going to put links to the posts rather than quote, I think that will make it easier for wiki-editing. (I hope anyway.) I searched for shirt and shirts and tried to find the initial post for each.

First frame/Last frame
Molpy Up (t-shirt version)
The meteor
http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=3423466#p3423466

Molpy molpy molpy molpy ...
http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=3425521#p3425521

Molpy Up (Polo version)
http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=3423811#p3423811

Colorized Lucky
http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=3425182#p3425182

Molpy molpy molpy molpy version 2
http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=3425545#p3425545

Zanclean flood (adding: with one of the epilog frames)
http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=3425571#p3425571

First frame on front "Wait for it" on back
http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=3425602#p3425602

Colorized LaPetite's triumphant return
http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=3425813#p3425813

Beanish tank
http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=3405434#p3405434

Time Quenches all Flames
http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=3366781#p3366781

More world, maybe different
http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=3383580#p3383580

The wow trees
http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=3401149#p3401149

A thousand lifetimes
http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=3401243#p3401243

Time is on my side
http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=3337697#p3337697

1190 Forever
http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=3339735#p3339735

I was there at the beginning of time
Wait for it
http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=3347462#p3347462

TIme I waited for it
http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=3304764#p3304764

Longest strip tease
http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=3318175#p3318175

Comic 1190: I was there
http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=3306318#p3306318

Shirt or coffee cup with one image that changes to another
http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=3317855#p3317855
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:14 pm UTC

Molpy up!

I had a dream last night that I was in the OTT. Unfortunately, due to the 430 effect, that's all I remember. But I remember it was a good dream!
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:21 pm UTC

Short dollup Image of replies. *yawn* I'm not quite a molpy up, yet.

1. New Les Mis and JRR Tolkien filks? What a wowterful morning. Image

2. BlitzGirls new OTColorization is so incredibly beautiful. I like the cooler tones much better.

3. Whizbang, your redundakitty might just be the best, yet.

Aaaand, you are all talented people. I might actually take a stab at a colorization today but I warn you - it'll be similar to Wizpretz'! :mrgreen:
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:22 pm UTC

It's fun! Everyone join along!
Spoiler:

Redundant Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Anyone notice the javascript.png
Anyone notice the javascript.png (26.86 KiB) Viewed 20377 times

What if it's not the end.png
What if it's not the end.png (22.93 KiB) Viewed 20387 times

Not missing the encore.png

Sobs.png
Sobs.png (21.89 KiB) Viewed 20387 times

They're everywhere.png
They're everywhere.png (23.59 KiB) Viewed 20387 times

The magic number.png
The magic number.png (23.6 KiB) Viewed 20387 times

Redundant Manip.png
Redundant Manip.png (23 KiB) Viewed 20387 times

ETA:
You know... This one doesn't even need to be OTTified. It just needs the caption of "alternate ending".
Spoiler:

Ace

Postby Ace » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:39 pm UTC

No matter how I try I can't seem to OTC-ify this thing. But I think OTTifying it will work, and maybe even tell the story of a casual reader turned 'devout' follower.

Wait More With Feeling

Posting Through The Madness

Spoiler:
LURKER:
Every single frame
The same arrangement
I go out and fight to post
Still, I always feel the strange estrangement
Nothing here is real
Nothing here is right

I've been making shows of making posts
Just hoping no one knows
That I've been posting through the Madness
Walking through the thread
Nothing seems to penetrate my head

I was always brave and kind of righteous
Now I find I'm wavering
Crawl out of lurking
You find this thread just doesn't mean a thing

OTTer:
She ain't got that slang

LURKER:
Thanks for noticing

OTTers:
She is pretty well with trolls from hell
But lately, we can tell
That she's just posting through the Madness (Posting through the Madness)
Faking it some how

MILITANT BLITZER:
She's not even read half the thread...ow.

LURKER:
Will I stay this way forever?
Sleepwalk through Randall's endeavor?

OTTer:
You mean comawalk-

LURKER:
Whatever.
I don't want to be
Posting through the Madness
Losing all my words
I can't even see
If this is really me
And I just want to see
The words!

Based on Going Through The Motions, from Once More With Feeling.
Wait for it.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:44 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:

In a way my sig could be considered a spoiler, although not a big one. Since nobody complained I don't really feel like changing it.

I don't think it is the same. Yours talks about you, not the End Times.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:52 pm UTC

Hi y'all,

Quick heads-up that I probably won't be in the OTT today and tomorrow. (Yes, I think I'm switching to formerly heretical time units now that “newpix” is no longer meaningful.)
I really, really need to ketchup on my Outside responsibilities, and somehow, when I try to combine ketchups, I end up consuming only the One True one...

Don't worry, I'm not going anywhere. (BlitzGirl, what are you doing with those ropes?? No really, not necessary.)

The first message in my OTT ketchup queue is a wowterful OneTrueRhymingScheme poem (Time Has Flown), and there have been many other ⁴ ones.
That makes it extra painful to have to tell you this: the OTT has stopped looping, it seems. We now have the following pattern, post-np3094:

Code: Select all

CDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBABA
EDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBABA
EDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBADB
DEBCEADECACD

That is, since 00:00 UTC (8 pm RDT), the pattern has been broken. Too early to tell if there's a new one.
(No reason to stop rhyming, though. I'd stick with the old pattern until a new one (if any) has been established.)

Talk to y'all in a few days.

Molpy down.
Spoiler:
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:00 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:

I don't think it is the same. Yours talks about you, not the End Times.

You're definitely right. But it is a spoiler in a sig so I felt I should post. Your point is also the main reason I don't feel like changing it.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

he/him/his

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:03 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Hi y'all,

Quick heads-up that I probably won't be in the OTT today and tomorrow. (Yes, I think I'm switching to formerly heretical time units now that “newpix” is no longer meaningful.)
I really, really need to ketchup on my Outside responsibilities, and somehow, when I try to combine ketchups, I end up consuming only the One True one...

Don't worry, I'm not going anywhere. (BlitzGirl, what are you doing with those ropes?? No really, not necessary.)

The first message in my OTT ketchup queue is a wowterful OneTrueRhymingScheme poem (Time Has Flown), and there have been many other ⁴ ones.
That makes it extra painful to have to tell you this: the OTT has stopped looping, it seems. We now have the following pattern, post-np3094:

CDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBABA
EDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBABA
EDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBADB
DEBCEADECACD

That is, since 00:00 UTC (8 pm RDT), the pattern has been broken. Too early to tell if there's a new one.
(No reason to stop rhyming, though. I'd stick with the old pattern until a new one (if any) has been established.)

Molpy down.
Spoiler:

We'll miss you! Come back soon :-)

Also: Called It! I guess now the OTC is over, I'm able to make correct predictions again :-)
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:11 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:Hi y'all,

CDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBABA
EDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBABA
EDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBADB
DEBCEADECACD

Molpy down.

We'll miss you! Come back soon :-)

Also: Called It! I guess now the OTC is over, I'm able to make correct predictions again :-)

Not by definition. As someone else already posted: The story goes on. The author just stops telling it.

he/him/his

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:16 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:It's fun! Everyone join along!
Spoiler:

Redundant Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Anyone notice the javascript.png

What if it's not the end.png

Not missing the encore.png

Sobs.png

They're everywhere.png

The magic number.png

Redundant Manip.png

ETA:
You know... This one doesn't even need to be OTTified. It just needs the caption of "alternate ending".
Spoiler:

And a wild roar goes up as the crowd rises to its feet, chanting, cheering, clapping: MORE!MORE!MORE!!!
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

Febrion

Postby Febrion » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:22 pm UTC

So, a bit of a blindpost while doing my daily ketchup, but I had a horrible premonition about the followup to 1190:
<begin prediction>
XKCD comic xxxx: Time Part 2
A simple frame showing Megan and Cueball, perhaps La Petit as well, on a beach. Nothing much happening yet, but we all settle in to a new round of 'wait for it'...
Then someone checks the alt-text:
Spoiler:
Just kidding guys! You really think I'd do another one of these???

<end prediction>
Temporal Knight Sir Junction, Lord of the Sawtooth Snap
Time flies like a River, sand flies like a Trebuchét

Hel-G

Postby Hel-G » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:23 pm UTC

Thanks Eternal Density and CasCat for your welcoming words!

CasCat wrote:
Throwing firstpost forward.

This may be a first-post, but you're definitely an OTTer! Welcome!

I'm an OTTer! :D

I have played a special song many times over since the End of Time since it fit so well with my mood, and I really want to do an OTTification, but unfortunately it's in Norwegian so few (noone?) here will know the original and I have to translate the whole thing. We'll see.

Now that we suddenly have all the time in the world (or no Time, or both :cry: ) there are projects that may merit more consideration. Personally, I'm intrigued by this:
Chinchokmataa wrote:So, I'm not sure if anyone picked up this little bit of verbage in GLR's post:

GLR wrote:..and created a plausible future language for readers to try to decode.

This seems to give us two interesting little facts that might be to our benefit:
1) Beanish is probably a "futurized" version of some existing language, as opposed to a totally new conlang
2) Beanish is not just a modern language written in a funny script

This may be what many of us (or at least me) already suspected, but it is nice to get confirmation.

I agree to your interpretation. Now, based on the GLR's wording, it seems like he didn't consult other experts on the language (he mentions maps, biologists and botanists, but not linguists). In that case it means Beanish is based on a language He already knows. English is an obvious candidate, but it could be something else. Spanish is a common second language at school in the US, isn't it? Has He ever revealed knowledge of other languages?

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:28 pm UTC

Quick notepad doodle:

xkcdxkcdxkcd 
    xkcd     xkcd
    xkcd             xkcd  xkcd  xkcd         xkcdxkcd
    xkcd     xkcd      xkcdxkcdxkcdxkcd     xkcd     xkcd
    xkcd     xkcd     xkcd    xkcd   xkcd  xkcdxkcdxkcdxkcd
    xkcd     xkcd     xkcd    xkcd   xkcd  xkcd
    xkcd     xkcd     xkcd           xkcd   xkcd      xkcd   
    xkcd     xkcd     xkcd           xkcd      xkcdxkcd     
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:29 pm UTC

Attaching an OTColorization submission from a de-lurker: superluminal

He hasn't reached 5 posts yet and therefore cannot post images or links and asked, over on the fb group, for someone to share this. What a 4 ottification, superluminal! :D

REDUNDANT SPOILER
Spoiler:
superluminal colorization.jpg

redundakitty.jpg
redundakitty.jpg (41.47 KiB) Viewed 20182 times
Last edited by Valarya on Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:39 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:30 pm UTC

One last OTT-filk from me. Maybe a little sadder and harsher than I might like it to be, but it does match the tone of the original...

It's All Over Now for Meg and Cue
(to the tune of "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue" by Bob Dylan)

You could leave now, take what you need, you think will last
And whatever you wish to keep, you better grab it fast.
The OTC stands silent after its run
(And you're) crying like a fire in the sun.
Look how the OTT's still trying to muddle through,
But it's all over now for Meg and Cue.

This forum was for Waiters who'd lost their sense
and gone insane over every OTC incidence
Now empty-handed, they clutch at frame repeats
And do colorized versions on glossy sheets.
The OTT still trying to give something new,

All your part-time lurkers are going home
All your molpy armies, they're all going home
The Knights Temporal have walked out the door
they've taken their swords and their battle roars.
Waiters are all wondering what they're gonna do,

Leave your songs and stories behind, something new calls to you
Forget those who've left, they will not follow you
Some new opportunity's now rapping at your door
Feel free to answer, you might just like it more
Strike another match, go start anew
'Cause it's all over now for Meg and Cue.
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:39 pm UTC

Well, I was in the Canadian wilderness cut off from all communications last week. And it ended?

Well, I'm not even remotely ketchuped, but I poked around enough to give a tip of the hat to mikrit. I didn't mention the Zanclean flood until May.

My signature is a bit out of date. The end is more here than near.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
The end is always near.
Lord Randall wrote:Wait for it.

Eliram

Postby Eliram » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:42 pm UTC

NP1304/Frame1304-ONG

Haven't been ninja'd yet, but I still think that the one frame/NP is a good idea. This could also be a good frame to colorize or talk about.
Anyway, I'll try to do this for a while longer.
It's about time.

superluminal

Postby superluminal » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:46 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:He hasn't reached 5 posts yet and therefore cannot post images or links and asked [- -] for someone to share this.

Spoiler:

Thanks!

I just realized that it's hard to tell what's water and what's sky.. Or would be without the clearly visible line separating the two. :D

Edited to include the image.
Last edited by superluminal on Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:51 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

SPACKlick

Postby SPACKlick » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:50 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Spoiler:
Hi y'all,

That makes it extra painful to have to tell you this:
the OTT has stopped looping, it seems. We now have the following pattern, post-np3094:[/spoiler]

CDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBABA
EDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBABA
EDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBADB
DEBCEADECACD

[/spoiler]
Molpy down.
Spoiler:

Hmm, seems too patterned to be random, seems to random to be a pattern. GLR is messing with us, the order of the pictures from 21:00 UTC is 01234232104230432104322321010432104230432104322321010432104230432104322321031341240342023

So far their have been 17 A/0s, 14 B/1s, 23 c/2s, 20 D/3s, 15 E/4s
We have never gone from A to A, B to B, D to D, E to E, or from B to E
There have only been 33 of the possible 125 triplets (of which we could have had 87 so far).

Pairs AE, BA and DC account for nearly 40% of pairs...

I've got nothing, it could be random, but the fact that 3 times we get C then C confuses me...

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:54 pm UTC

mathrec wrote:Well, I was in the Canadian wilderness cut off from all communications last week. And it ended?

Well, I'm not even remotely ketchuped, but I poked around enough to give a tip of the hat to mikrit. I didn't mention the Zanclean flood until May.

My signature is a bit out of date. The end is more here than near.

Don't change it yet though... We must be gentle to those who aren't here yet.
Many are still floating through time.
luckyraft.JPG
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:55 pm UTC

Hel-G wrote:I'm an OTTer! :D

I have played a special song many times over since the End of Time since it fit so well with my mood, and I really want to do an OTTification, but unfortunately it's in Norwegian so few (noone?) here will know the original and I have to translate the whole thing. We'll see.

Now that we suddenly have all the time in the world (or no Time, or both :cry: ) there are projects that may merit more consideration. Personally, I'm intrigued by this:
Chinchokmataa wrote:So, I'm not sure if anyone picked up this little bit of verbage in GLR's post:

GLR wrote:..and created a plausible future language for readers to try to decode.

This seems to give us two interesting little facts that might be to our benefit:
1) Beanish is probably a "futurized" version of some existing language, as opposed to a totally new conlang
2) Beanish is not just a modern language written in a funny script

This may be what many of us (or at least me) already suspected, but it is nice to get confirmation.

I agree to your interpretation. Now, based on the GLR's wording, it seems like he didn't consult other experts on the language (he mentions maps, biologists and botanists, but not linguists). In that case it means Beanish is based on a language He already knows. English is an obvious candidate, but it could be something else. Spanish is a common second language at school in the US, isn't it? Has He ever revealed knowledge of other languages?

You are DEFINITELY an OTTer. Only an OTTer would have written that! Now you just need to put up an avatar so someone (ChronosDragon?) can Hat it for you.... :mrgreen:

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:55 pm UTC

Redundant Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Curgan Training.png

Great Redundant Tiger.png
Great Redundant Tiger.png (142.06 KiB) Viewed 20079 times

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”