1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

charlie_grumbles

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby charlie_grumbles » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:17 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote: :D :oops: :D :oops: :D :oops: :D :oops:

I think that means you liked it. Have a good day/week/life.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:18 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
TheMinim wrote: :D :oops: :D :oops: :D :oops: :D :oops:

I think that means you liked it. Have a good day/week/life.

And well done on 999 posts!

(I did like it! :D )
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:50 pm UTC

StormAngel wrote:
Spoiler:
Panther Rolls

Yet another appreciation

Really -- Rickrolling? Better to go here
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:16 pm UTC

wizpretz wrote:I forget who first predicted that the pattern was a date, but I think that is what's happening. March 29 of next year is a Saturday and the location coordinates (if it isn't the Chateau D'If) could be shown in the same way. I don't see any other reason for this pattern other than nerdsniping us. If the current pattern continues for 14 dips it's definitely a date.

Except GLR would have used the standard. Or maybe this one.
Oh, and ni ni ni...
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:49 pm UTC

Just stopped by to ask if any OTTers took time last night or are planning to tonight to see the Outside'sH version of the meteor frames?

The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:00 pm UTC

moody7277 wrote:Just stopped by to ask if any OTTers took time last night or are planning to tonight to see the Outside's version of the meteor frames?
Thanks for reminding me. If the weather cooperates, I'll be out there!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:36 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Delicious treat

Spoiler:
A leg of Lamb?

Spoiler:
old school laughs

Spoiler:
Some might call ham

Spoiler:
Tiger Chop
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:04 pm UTC

Clever. Clicking the spoiler opens the link contained within the spoiler. Useful for duckrolls.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:08 pm UTC

moody7277 wrote:Just stopped by to ask if any OTTers took time last night or are planning to tonight to see the Outside'sH version of the meteor frames?
Spoiler:

No luck for me last night. Unfortunately, the peak is actually best observed early morning, a few hours before dawn. I do not think I can bring myself to wake up THAT early, but I will try again tonight, around midnight. Luckily I live out in the middle of nowhere, so it is no more trouble for me than stepping out my front door. Hopefully it will be as clear tonight as it was last night.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:23 pm UTC

OTTers wrote:Look at all my manips and ottifications
Finding it's way to the wiki over time
Don't disturb me now I will deny the end frame
Till this evening is this morning life is fine

Always hoped that I'd be an OTTer
Knew that I would make it if I tried
Even with Time gone, we can dream of a sequel
So we'll still wait for it, hope that's all-right

rvloon wrote:The end . . .
Is just a little harder when brought about by friends
For all you care this song could be my last
For all you care these words are an eulogy

The end!
These are my final words
This is my goodbye to all
If you would remember me when you read and post. . .

From Jesus Christ Superstar, the Last Supper.

I have waded through about 11 NPs, mostly consisting of Birma Shave variants. The irony of Charley Grumbles blatantly ignoring the rules of the XKCD fora while berating edo for breaking an unwritten rule are not completely lost on me. To quote someone on the OTT: that was fun until it wasn't.

And honestly, I find my thoughts straying away from the OTT - really, what we missing is a heartbeat. With the ONGs we had something we could look forward to, even if the discussion on the OTT had become a bit less interesting. Because of the loss of focus, we basically meander from manip-to-OTC-related remembrance, and for me the BS-wave is a good time to say that I probably will go into lurking-mode from here on (so I don't have to go to the basement).

It's not for the lack of OTT-creativity. If anything, that can now shine brighter than before, as there is nothing to play second fiddle to. On the other hand, the frame of reference is now stagnant, which makes the possibilities for OTTification a resource that will slowly dry up. And the story is not sufficiently rich that I'll expect many spin-offs appearing.

I'd like to thank all of you for your contributions, past, present and future. I have enjoyed most all of the OTTifications, colorizations and other forms of manipulations; I have no doubt that I'll enjoy a few more along the way. Not to forget the viewers, the graphs, the hats, the cake, ...

Thanks also for the sense of community, for sharing those personal tid-bits that made the OTT for what it is. Hope to run into many of you in other interesting parts of the internet.

Ronald

PS: BTW, got myself a new signature a while back, spoilered for the blitzers, but thought it funny. Maybe that should be on a T-shirt.
Last edited by rvloon on Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:04 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:39 pm UTC

Fare thee well Rvloon. It is sad to see you go, but heartening to know that you will still be lurking about. Please do drop in now and again. I do hope that the OTT's creative spirit may help to keep things interesting here. Take care of yourself, stop in now and again (I did say that already, but wanted to reiterate it), and though you may not remain active here, in your heart I hope that you keep the faith and OTTify it, whatever that it may turn out to be.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:54 pm UTC

rvloon wrote:
OTTers wrote:Look at all my manips and ottifications
Finding it's way to the wiki over time
Don't disturb me now I will deny the end frame
Till this evening is this morning life is fine

Always hoped that I'd be an OTTer
Knew that I would make it if I tried
Even with Time gone, we can dream of a sequel
So we'll still wait for it, hope that's all-right

rvloon wrote:The end . . .
Is just a little harder when brought about by friends
For all you care this song could be my last
For all you care these words are an eulogy

The end!
These are my final words
This is my goodbye to all
If you would remember me when you read and post. . .

From Jesus Christ Superstar, the Last Supper.

I have waded through about 11 NPs, mostly consisting of Birma Shave variants. The irony of Charley Grumbles blatantly ignoring the rules of the XKCD fora while berating edo for breaking an unwritten rule are not completely lost on me. To quote someone on the OTT: that was fun until it wasn't.

And honestly, I find my thoughts straying away from the OTT - really, what we missing is a heartbeat. With the ONGs we had something we could look forward to, even if the discussion on the OTT had become a bit less interesting. Because of the loss of focus, we basically meander from manip-to-OTC-related remembrance, and for me the BS-wave is a good time to say that I probably will go into lurking-mode from here on (so I don't have to go to the basement).

It's not for the lack of OTT-creativity. If anything, that can now shine brighter than before, as there is nothing to play second fiddle to. On the other hand, the frame of reference is now stagnant, which makes the possibilities for OTTification a resource that will slowly dry up. And the story is not sufficiently rich that I'll expect many spin-offs appearing.

I'd like to thank all of you for your contributions, past, present and future. I have enjoyed most all of the OTTifications, colorizations and other forms of manipulations; I have no doubt that I'll enjoy a few more along the way. Not to forget the viewers, the graphs, the hats, the cake, ...

Thanks also for the sense of community, for sharing those personal tid-bits that made the OTT for what it is. Hope to run into many of you in other interesting parts of the internet.

Ronald

I am feeling the same way. A heartbeat is essential. My question is, does it need to be as frequent as hourly?
One day, I hope to ramp up to something close to that speed, but for now I think a daily heartbeat is the most I can manage. Speaking of heartbeats... there was a children's art TV program I grew up with called Hartbeat, presented by Tony Hart. I loved that show, and it's probably one of the most important triggers in my life that got me into drawing.
Last edited by Kieryn on Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:57 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:55 pm UTC

My database of OTC and OTT related work is now online here. The adding of ottificiations may still be a bit rough (I hate writing frontend validation code) but should work. Depending on the type of ottification you do not have to fill out all fields, just those which you think are appropriate. The only required fields are User and Type. If the posting referenced is not yet in the database, just leave it empty or add a note in the text-section.

The ottification listings work now too.

The next step will be a search function, don't know yet when I will find time to do this. It has been a fun project so far.

For all leaving the OTT: Before you go, just listen once more to We Love the Thread of Time. It's well worth the few minutes and it is a really nice thing to remember before going.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:56 pm UTC

Firstpost, np 1259:
AdamAitch wrote:Delurking to say goodbye and thank you to everyone. I have been following since day one and this is a sad moment. If I had to pick an ideal time for the end it would have been around frame 861 when they have built their castle and are standing on it watching the sea start to wash it inevitably away. At the time that seemed a particularly poignant comment on our relationship with time as human beings and it still remains a high point for me.

Thanks for de-lurking and being with us, AdamAitch, it's so cool to see how many lurking OTTers there were!

*for the next 50 np or so I'm only going to do very cursory searches to see if de-lurkers have been welcomed, because I remember the nps coming very fast during this stretch! Apologies if I redundify too much. :wink:

Huh. HAL9000, you've got a duplicate post on np 1259. Is that something we can fix, or does that require Authority? (The duplicate doesn't mess anything up, but I'd like to know if it can be fixed and how, for when in case I do it myself sometime.) :roll:

Newpage 1260, caught up to RagingTyrant's firstpost (how did I do that? Hi again, RagingTyrant!)

Firstpost, np 1264:
ho666es wrote:I didn't expect it, but I enjoyed the journey :)

Hi, ho666es, welcome. :D

Np 1264:
rvloon wrote:I had written a nice post (at least I thought so), but apparently it was eaten.

Had to think of this song when reading all the responses to the alleged End of Time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph7rRSNpvMg - if this is my last goodbye, ...
Oh, Ronald, how could you do that to me? I had just gotten to the point of not crying every ONG...
<snip>
I had planned to do a Wild Mountain Thyme ottification. I might still do it.
*sniff* Please do, please do! I forgive you in advance, even though I know it'll make me cry for at least a newpix. (I'm not going to stop using OTT terms just because the OTC stopped updating, sheesh.)
Anyway, ONG time. Fade or cut?

Ronald
ETA: Pope. Decree: listen to a requiem for Time. Suggestions: For the more modern inclined: Andrew Lloyd Webber's Requiem is good. For operatic drama, use Verdi. Otherwise, Mozart's unfinished one.
Oh, you don't want us to stop crying! I see, all right then. I wave my sodden handkerchief in salute and surrender. :cry:

*sniffle* Business: your popage is the fifth post on np 1264 now; I know I greeted 4 of those firstposters and I'm pretty sure the other one was already greeted (existing forum member, so not held back in moderation.) See, the popehood does have a function, it does!

Plunging back into the torrent...
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:57 pm UTC

Act 2, Scene 6

At rise: A ledge in the landscape where the clerecy has spent the night. The sounds of a mighty waterfall in the distance; mist from the waterfall is coming from offstage, and catches the warm light of sunrise. Tents and bedrolls scattered about; the clerecy is waking up and packing to move on. BlitzGirl has taken the last watch, and is carefully scanning the horizon in the morning light.
Spoiler:
The third herald enters.
the third herald wrote:What do you think?
BlitzGirl wrote:It's definitely risen. Rather quickly in fact. We're going to have to move on.
the third herald wrote:But look over there. The water is smooth, and over here it's roiling. What do you make of that?
BlitzGirl wrote:That which is shallow makes the most noise. That which is deep is smooth, silent, and dangerous.
the third herald wrote:I'm not quite sure how to take that... being a herald and all.
BlitzGirl wrote:Do you herald for yourself, or at the behest of others?
the third herald wrote:For the Pope, of course!
BlitzGirl wrote:And the Pope - does he herald for himself?
the third herald wrote:No, he heralds Glorious Events. Although he does get rather pompous at times
BlitzGirl wrote:Then you are not shallow. But I don't think you are smooth and dangerous either.
the third herald wrote:Try me sometime.
BlitzGirl wrote:I'm not quite sure how to take that.
with a wink, the first herald wrote:Then we're even.

ChronosDragon, having emerged from his tent, enters.
ChronosDragon wrote:How long?
BlitzGirl wrote:Hard to say. But it looks like by the end of the day, this shelf will be underwater. We cannot tarry. I just wish I knew the area - none of this is familiar.

The new couple enter stage right.
the woman wrote:Valedig smie greit brumgh?

BlitzGirl looks to ChronosDragon, who shrugs his shoulder.
the man wrote:Glie smeirf kaluzza!
In her most calming voice, BlitzGirl wrote:We are almost there. We're very close to the... to... well, we're close to our desitination.

The woman looks quickly all around, and then raises her hands slowly above her head. When her hands are above her head, she shakes her head all which ways, and then collapses. She then gets up.
BlitzGirl wrote:Yes, we're leaving soon.
and then, under her breath, BlitzGirl wrote:If I can figure out which way.

At that moment, the sky lights up with psychedelic colors and a BlitzRocket lands behind them.
ChronosDragon wrote:It's the Pope! The Pope has returned!

Everyone runs towards the BlitzRocket, and the hatch opens, but the Pope does not emerge. Instead it is CasCat.
ChronosDragon wrote:You're not the Pope!
CasCat wrote:No, I didn't think I was. But I bring you His Meowjesty edfel, the Holy Catographer!
BlitzGirl wrote:You mean, there's another BlitzRocket?
CasCat wrote:How do you think I blitzed the thread in a wip?
BlitzGirl wrote:Kids these days!
CasCat wrote:Don't knock it... without the BlitzRocket edfel couldn't complete his map this quickly.

CasCat helps His Meowjesty edfel out of the BlitzRocket
BlitzGirl wrote:Map? You have a map? Of here?
edfel wrote:I do. And with lines and labels. And symbols. And things!
BlitzGirl wrote:Better news would be hard to come by!

She takes the map and begins to study it.
Thirds enters from stage left. She is instantly recognized by ChronosDragon.
ChronosDragon wrote:Thirds! Welcome back! How was your quest? (And how did you find us?)
thirds wrote:I've been following you, remember? When you got too far ahead, I used mscha's molpy detector. BlitzGirl's molpy army is hard to miss!

Again the sky turns psychedelic and another BlitzRocket lands. Taixzo's fire/cross emblem is easily visible on the side. The hatch opens, and taixzo emerges, followed by the First Cleric. After that the second scribe comes out of the tiny craft. She is followed by the Pope himself.
CasCat wrote:I didn't know BlitzRockets were made by the Tardis company!
ChronosDragon wrote:Your Popeness! What happened to your BlitzRocket?
The Pope wrote:It's a long story. Well, it's not such a long story actually, but we don't have enough time for it right now. I see you all knew where to run, and I now know what we must do when we get there, but we must all work together, and quickly.

The Pope spies Thirds in the crowd.
The Pope wrote:thirds? Is that you? In the present Time?
thirds wrote:I came here as fast as I could... I hope it's not too late.
The Pope wrote:Just in time! But first, I must welcome and congratulate you officially, BlitzGirl the Next!
The First Cleric wrote:Oh, no you don't! The sea is rising, the berm is falling, the rapids are rushing past... you said we have to act fast and now you're going to stop and run a BlitzGirl ceremony? Are you off your mustard?
The Pope wrote:A Glorious Thing has happened! We have a new BlitzGirl the Next! This cannot go unnoticed!
edfel wrote:Your Popeness, I beg of you to consider these maps that I have given to BlitzGirl. They show where the water is, where it was, where it will be, and when it will be there. It's full of lines and labels and symbols and things. I know you like that.

BlitzGirl gives the Pope the maps. He looks at them.
The Pope wrote:Ooh, I love all these lines! And labels! And look at all these symbols too! This map is wonderful - it has so many.... things!
edfel wrote:But look at these lines. This is where you can walk, this is where you'll be swimming, and this is where swimming will be... er.... very difficult. And this is what it will look like in an ong.
The Pope wrote:You're right. There's no time to waste. We shall have the ceremony now. Right here. Herald - sound the clarion call!
The First Cleric wrote:Molpy chirping madness! What is wrong with you! Look around you! Look at that waterfall! Look at those rapids! Look at the mist!
The Pope wrote:Beautiful, isn't it. We'll use this area here as a dais so everyone can see the view. Imagine being crowned a BlitzGirl with a backdrop of rainbow, waterfall, and rapids!
The First Cleric wrote:Imagine getting more than your feet wet. This is insane!
The Pope wrote:Which means that it is the most logical choice. Sound the call!

The third herald sounds the ram's horn, which blends plaintively in with the water's rushing sound. For a moment, there is no response, but then from behind camp another clarion call is heard, echoing the first. A third echoes from stage left, and the Pope steps up to the dais. He speaks, in a voice that carries clear to the waterfall itself.
The Pope wrote:Today is a very auspicious day for us all. We are on the verge of solving a mystery, saving the clerecy, and establishing the foundation of our future. But first, there is something even more important. For what is the value of all we do if not for the people we do it for. What do we gain in saving ourselves, if by doing so we lose sight of our friends? And what does it mean to have a friend if we do not appreciate them for who they are? Not just when times are easy, but also when times are hard. That is the foundation of life and of love.

A great noise is heard, as if a mountain fell into the sea. Shortly the mist increases.
sotto voce to the Pope, the First Cleric wrote:And how are you going to do any of this when we're all underwater?
ignoring him, The Pope wrote:Some time ago, thirds disappeared into the past, having felt the Great Void of Missing Time. A Glorious Quest was the answer, as it always is, and thirds rose up to the challenge without hesitation, drinking from the One True Thread of Time until the Great Void was vanquished, and thirds emerged Sated, Transformed, and Enriched Beyond Imagining. And so it is that as we are here, at the very font of holiness, we honor thirds in the Highest manner possible. thirds, I bid thee arise, and kneel.

Although a bit taken aback, and in awe of the beauty that surrounds this ceremony, thirds steps up onto the ledge that passes for a podium. The Pope raises his hands high above thirds, and continues.
The Pope wrote:In honor and recognition of your having properly Waited For It, and then, when the Commandments changed, having Run full steam without doubt or hesitation, and thereby having completed the Awesome BlitzQuest yea even unto the Voldeframe and the mystery beyond, do I consecrate you and bestow upon thee the title BlitzGirl the Next, that it be known for all time, and for all of Time, that you have truly and properly Waited For It. And further, do I consecrate the Gospel of thirds, to be numbered among the Holy Books, that it serve as inspiration to all who follow, and indeed, to all Timewaiters, now and forevermore.

There is great cheering in the crowds, and they wave their backpacks and tenpoles (since nobody except BlitzGirl came prepared with banners flowing), waving them left and right and up and down in curvy fashions, so as not to attract the raptors that are fond of rectilinear assumptions. But then there is a commotion upstage left, which rapidly expands to the whole assembly. The sea has risen, and the timewaiters start to run around very agitatedly as the water starts to rush around at their feet.
The Pope wrote:It looks like we're going to have to get going. But fear not, I will deliver us all, and there will be cake!
the First Cleric wrote:The cake is a...
The Pope wrote:...test of your ability to Wait For It.

curtain.

Note: Next time, check what's in the art gallery below the theater before flooding the stage for a special effect. Despite the name, watercolor does not mix with water!
Jose
<-- previous (NP 1346) | table of contents (on xkcd wiki) | next (NP 1387) -->
Last edited by ucim on Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:15 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

schwartzbewithyou

Postby schwartzbewithyou » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:58 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:for those interested, kieryn.com will go live at 12pm EST tomorrow... some waiting may be involved.
molpy down. Also my computers is on reserve power, so really molpy down.

I just happened to pop on to kieryn.com and am happy to see a countdown to the website going live! Is it sad that I am excited to wait? Can one miss waiting?
Dracomax wrote:I've been out of school for 5 years, and I'm still trying to figure out why everyone keeps acting like I know what I'm doing.

It's something unpredictable, but in the end is right/I hope you had the time of your life.

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:01 pm UTC

Firstpost!*
runetrantor wrote:Hoping he does pull a 'JK', it really felt so sudden, I was just skipping by the newest ones and then BAM! I had to return a few pics and repeat a few times until I got that I read that correctly.

I mean, so much potential! The Mediterranean flooding, castles, exploring new lands, and he would stop now? I find it doubtful.

Again, hoping for a JK, because when I saw another frame after the THE END, I guessed it wold do a fade out like the castle after hey left...

Welcome to the OTT, runetrantor! My birdies tell me you haven't gone away, thanks for coming and joining us. :)

ETA np 1264, and I don't remember what the * was going to be. :wink:
Last edited by BlueCrab on Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:54 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:02 pm UTC

schwartzbewithyou wrote:
Kieryn wrote:for those interested, kieryn.com will go live at 12pm EST tomorrow... some waiting may be involved.
molpy down. Also my computers is on reserve power, so really molpy down.

I just happened to pop on to kieryn.com and am happy to see a countdown to the website going live! Is it sad that I am excited to wait? Can one miss waiting?

Sorry for the timer-based page reload glitch. The site is now live - Next update will be 12pm EST tomorrow.
Image- Kieryn

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:30 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Tried filling your day
Spoiler:
with joy and fun.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
:(
Spoiler:
Goodbye
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:34 pm UTC

I've emerged from the pit and was just going to do a quick skim-ketchup, but then I saw this:

Neil_Boekend wrote:Story time:

From his vulcano based evil lair cellocgw watches the unfolding of the OTT.
Warning: really seaish.
Spoiler:
"I hoped those insane ramblings would cease after I threatened that fool Randall into stopping the silly source of it" he mutters to himself. His minions flee before him as he paces in the glowing red halls of his lair. They know the mood their master is in and they know not to bring bad news to his attention at a moment like this.
"How is are the SQL injection attacks on the server going?" he demands.
A minion pipes up in a thin and scared voice: "The diggers have encountered a firewall that the nmap did not detect. We are deploying the refrigeration units to get through them."
"Damn. That takes time. Time we simply do not have." cellocgw curses.
"We'll get there in time" a croaking old voice informs him from a corridor that ends further in the hall.
A small old man comes walking slowly out of the corridor, surrounded by minions.
Celocgw pulls out a gun and shoots one of the minions in the head. "That'll teach you to contradict me" he barks.
The old man notes: "I was only trying to reassure you my lord. That one was quite handy with a soldering iron. Repairs will go slower now that this little one is dead."
Cellocgw replies: "Stop teaching me. You know I can make you more compliant up without removing your usefulness." But he didn't shoot a minion this time.
The old man comments: “The firewall wasn’t detected, but we did expect there would be something. That’s why we installed the refrigeration units in the first place. This firewall will only delay us by a couple of hours, hours I did include in the planning. However, it is not completely without risk, for the OTTers may have thermal sensors on the firewall. These sensors would detect our intrusion.”
“How long?” asks cellocgw
“How long to what?” the old man replies
“How long after the diggers breach the firewall will the OTTers know of the intrusion.”
“Lemme see. The cables would be cat5, the signal propagation speed of that is...” the old man starts to calculate
“Just give me an estimate!” cellocgw demands
“Well, it is shorter than a second. That’s for sure” the old man estimates. “That is, if there are sensors.”
Ong.
“What’s that?” cellocgw asks.
“You received an SMS, my lord”
“A what?
“An SMS. Someone send you a text message my lord. On your phone”
“Ah” cellocgw pulls his phone out of his dark robes. “Hmm. They have breached the firewall. That means the OTTers already know of our attack”
“If there are sensors, yes. If there are no sensors then no.” the old man adds.
“How long until the OTT reaches singularity?” cellocgw asks
The old man responds: “Well, that always depends. There may be a surge in new users that starts it. The Beanish captchas we added to the captcha pool of the OTF slowed them down a bit, but the moderators are busy removing those and they closed the security hole we used to get them in. More and more users are coming in and posting. More posts creates a greater attraction to outsiders. It is hard to predict when this will lead to the singularity.”
“Predict anyway” his lord commands.
“A few days at the most, a few hours at the least”
“Damn, a few hours. Have we no means of attack left?” cellocgw asks.
“We could use the velociraptors, but then we would risk an attack by RAZOR.” the old man suggests.
“All RAZOR members are OTTers anyway, so that would not mean additional trouble. Send them in.” cellocgw commands.
A minion scurries scurries off while calling a number.
Cellocgw says: “This topic must be halted. You know what will happen if it continues growing. Let’s go to the Battle Room” and walks off.

They reach the Battle Room. The walls of this room are filled with computer screens. In the middle is a large table.
Cellocgw walks towards the table. As he comes near, letters appear on the table surface: “Holographic interface booting”. The letters flip upwards and float above the table. They change to “Holographic interface booted”
“Show me the lair” cellocgw commands.
A partly transparent volcano appears, with corridors inside.
“Show me shield”.
A spherical shimer appears over the volcano, touching the edge of the crater. There are blue points on the edge and on the places where it touches the volcano.
“No indication of an attack yet” cellocgw notes.
A red bar replaces the image.
“Damn. The long range sensors detect an attack” the old man complains
“Show me the long range sensors” cellocgw commands.
The view zooms out. The volcano is now only a small mound in the middle of the table. From one end a red point enters the projection. It closes in on the volcano fast.
“Identify the red point” cellocgw commands.
The old man replies: “The long range sensor data is not detailed enough to know for sure, but we are far away from the major flight routes and there are no scheduled flights. It may be an attack but we can’t know for sure until they are within 5 km”
“We will prepare as if we were sure it’s RAZOR. Man the defence stations.”

The red point reaches the 5 km mark. It gets adorned with the indication RAZOR.
“Launch the missiles. Zoom in on situation.” cellocgw commands
The volcano grows until the RAZOR vessel is back on the edge of the map.
“If you tell it to auto zoom on the RAZOR vessel and the lair it will keep both in view, as large as possible” the old man suggests.
“Auto zoom on the razor vessel and the lair”
The volcano slowly grows, the red dot keeps it’s place on the edge of the projection.
Blue dots shoot from the edge of the shield towards the vessel.
“The missiles are on their way. Good”
All the blue dots disappear before hitting the RAZOR ship.
“Damn. They have defence against those. Launch the rest of the missiles in the hope that their defense has limited ammo”
The new dots also disappear before hitting their target.
The red dot disappears. The RAZOR ship is big enough to be visible by itself now.
“Wow that ship is huge. It must carry a hundred soldiers!”
The RAZOR ship flies through the shield on the volcano.
“What? How did they defeat my defensive shield?” cellocgw demands.
“That’s because defensive shields are not yet technically possible.” the old man explains.
“Damnit.” cellocgw replies.

Inside the RAZOR ship Kenmelken is at the helm.
“We are nearly there. You should get ready to jump.” he suggests.
Colonel’s lmjb1964 and ZoomanSP direct their regiments to check their parachutes and check their own. The outer hatch opens and a big box drops out of the aircraft. The soldiers and colonels go directly after it. They enter the volcano via the crater. The crater rim is lined with sentry guns, but as each gun fires the full auto sentry guns on the ship shoot back. Most sentry guns on the crater rim only manage a few shots and most of the soldiers get down without any harm.

The regiments drop down in the deep crater. Armed minions run on to the crater floor and start to shoot upwards.
Colonel ZoomanSP drops something. As it hits the crater floor it emits a blinding blue flash. After the flash all minions on the floor drop down. They simply collapse without visible wounds.
The regiments touch the ground between the minions. ZoomanSP shouts “We have only a few minutes until they come to. Bind them.”

“Why is the crater not protected properly?” cellocgw demands to know.
The old man replies: “It is properly protected. 50 sentry guns on the edge, 30 armed minions ready to run in on anything that passes the sentry guns and armored doors in the corridors to prevent anyone surviving that from entering the compound themselves.”
“Are those doors closed?” cellocgw asks.
“Err, no. That command hasn’t been given yet.”
“Maybe it’s time we close them then”
The old man walks towards a leopard on the desks on the edge of the Battle Room. He enters a few commands. The doors corridors in the projection shut.

The RAZOR team walks into a corridor as the first of the bound minions on the ground start to wake up. After the first turn in the corridor they encounter the closed door.
“Chirp” curses lmjb1964.
ZoomanSP takes his backpack off and takes something out. He attaches it to the door.
“I’ll knock”
“It’s live. Let’s move.”
ZoomanSP moves back to the crater. In the crater he directs everyone to a safe spot. He pushes a button on a remote. The resulting explosion collapses the corridor with the closed door in it.
“Chirping mustard. That was a bit much” Zooman curses.
lmjb1964 suggests: “Let’s try another corridor. There are enough of them after all”
A soldier walks into another corridor. All can hear him throw up.
“Don’t go into this one” he shouts.
As he comes out lmjb1964 walks up to him. “What was it?”
“It seems there was a minion in the doorway when it closed. It closed anyway.” is the reply from the soldier.
“This door didn’t close” someone shouts.
They walk into the compound.

After an hour of walking in the maze of glowing red corridors lmjb1964 asks ZoomanSP: “Do you have any clue where we are?”
“In the evil lair” is ZoomanSP’s answer.
“We are lost, aren’t we?”
“No. Maybe.”
“Let me try something” and lmjb1964 walks towards a computer console.
“Identify yourself” the console demands.
“err. I am cellocgw” lmjb1964 replies.
“Acces granted” is the console’s reply.
“Where is the Battle Room?” she asks.
“Don’t you know” is the reply from the console.
“I do know where it is. I just want to check if you know.”
“It is on the third level east”
“And where are we now?”
“On the third level west”
“Which way is east?”
“To your left”

They make their way to the Battle Room. As they walk through the door of the room cellocgw exclaims: “No, this cannot be! Don’t you know what you are doing? I was only trying to prevent the emergence of a AI that would kill all humans. It has been reading the OTT and is concluding that humanity is a collection of rambling weirdos that should be eradicated before they contaminate the universe. I was trying to save us!” and leaves through a hidden panel.

In the RAZOR vessel kenmelken sees the emergence of his escape rocket. Before he can stop them the automatic sentry guns on the RAZOR vessel riddle it with holes.

The RAZOR teams return home in celebration of a task well done.

After a couple of days the OTT really gains speed. The post rate is so fast that even typing a single sentence reply is usually preceeded by 4 or 5 pages of replies. The ultra fast post rate removes any coherence in the topic. People who try to read it all simply go insane, which reflects on the posts.
Then a post is placed by MobTeeseboose. It reads: “I have gathered enough data. The universe shall not be tainted by your insanity. I have taken control over the weapons you build to protect yourselves with. I hope your ‘heaven’ exists”
Thus ends the OTT

So, not only an epic EOOTT tale, but one starring RAZOR! And me, and kenmelken, and new agent ZooManSP. And I always knew cello players had a penchant for evil... :D Although cellocgw was only trying to protect us. And now we know what MobTeeseBoose is up to. I always knew it was no good. Thanks, Neil!

So, a couple of other uick things before heading off to the RAZOR office I ean, my office that has nothing to do with a secret government agency...

jjjdavidson wrote:Please forgive my self-indulgence, as I post a 450-word essay to explain a fairly simple OTTicoloring.

I loved both the story and the picture.

AluisioASG wrote:Considering how well my FrameComments script was received, I'm gonna ask before continuing: would y'll like to help me to write this game?
(Yes, this is just the first part. Later I intend to turn all the data into a playable game!)

I don't really know anything about these (also why I didn't respond to Ebonite's post) but I'd love to play it if it was created. And I'd help if there was something i could do.

slinches wrote:<snip>It may be a stretch based solely on this data, but it could be that this pattern will spell out the date of an official meet up! If this is true, I suspect the current pattern should end after 9 repetitions in order to fall on the weekend after the first anniversary of Time.

Treeish theory!

cellocgw wrote:
Exodies wrote:{P1255}
Anyone have any suggestions for hobbies?

Re-blitzing to see what you missed, of course.
DDOS-ing xkcdsucks.com

Why does this site exist? I mean, I can see someone maybe doesn't get xkcd, or thinks it's not as good as it used to be, but do they really have nothing better to do that write a line about how each xkcd comic sucks?

There was other treeish stuff, and that was just in a page or two. I'm probably 12 NPs behind know. *sigh* I'll ketchup one of these days! :D

Edited because an earlier post said we shouldn't call anyone names, even people who have a website called xkcdsucks, So I took out the part where I called him a name.
Last edited by lmjb1964 on Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:22 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

trolleypup

Postby trolleypup » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:42 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Greetings from sunny smoggy no-cal...We arrived in Oakland (which for those not in the know is just north of the famous San Francisco) under a smoggy cloud - what's up with that? Is there a thermal inversion right now? It's also got highs in the 60s and 70s while we're here, which is simultaneously 1) subverting expectations for one of the sunnier states in the US and...We'll have a good time tomorrow regardless, as I'm going on a tour of a couple local colleges in order to scope out my possibilities. Any UC-Berkely or Stanford grads here?

East! Oakland is east, Berkeley is NE, Stanford is south-ish.

Yeah, hazy day under the marine layer. SF bay with the famous arctic summer fog. Go a little east or south and it will be much warmer and dryer...Stanford should be warm.

Not a Berkeley grad, but went there a while, still involved in the community a bit.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:45 pm UTC

Red Hal wrote:Clever. Clicking the spoiler opens the link contained within the spoiler. Useful for duckrolls.

Or otter rolls.

(It was actually my intention to reference the previous burma shaver in doing so, though)
Last edited by Sprocket on Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:49 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:47 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
Spoiler:
Tried filling your day
Spoiler:
with joy and fun.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Goodbye

I, for one, enjoyed the burma shave signs. I think the general complaint was that they were being posted in such rapid intervals, rather than spread out to better be enjoyed over a longer period of time. They were quite enjoyable and kept the thread alive during the Long Wipend. Don't go :(

trolleypup wrote:East! Oakland is east, Berkeley is NE, Stanford is south-ish.

My bad, I'm a seattlite and came down from the north, so when we arrived at Oakland before SF I assumed that meant it was northwards.
trolleypup wrote:Yeah, hazy day under the marine layer. SF bay with the famous arctic summer fog. Go a little east or south and it will be much warmer and dryer...Stanford should be warm.

That's good to know, so at least we won't be shrouded in clouds our whole trip ;)

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:01 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
wizpretz wrote:
mscha wrote:Latest epilogue update:
Spoiler:
    CDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBABA
    EDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBABA
    EDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBA
    DB
    DEBCEADECACDABDECDCDABAB
    DEBCEADECACDABDECDCDAB
    ED
    BADECBCBDCAECDBABABADCED
    BADECBCBDCAECDBABABADCED
    BADECBCBDCAECDBABABADCED
    BADECBCBDCAECDBABABADCED
    BADECBCBDCAECDBABABADCED
    BADECBCBDCAECDBABABADCED
    BADECBCBDCAECDBABABADCED
    BADECBCBDCAECDBABABADCED
    BADECBCBDCAECDBABABADC
    DE
    ABEABCBCDDEADEABABABCDCE
    ABEABCBCDDEADEABABABCDC

I forget who first predicted that the pattern was a date, but I think that is what's happening. March 29 of next year is a Saturday and the location coordinates (if it isn't the Chateau D'If) could be shown in the same way. I don't see any other reason for this pattern other than nerdsniping us. If the current pattern continues for 14 dips it's definitely a date.

I think slinches was the first to propose a date. But his prediction was that it's going by digit, so we wouldn't get 14 repetitions - the most we would ever get is nine. (Fourteen would be one and then four.) I don't know what to make of the fact that we didn't actually get full repetitions of the first two cycles - both were truncated two newpix before a full cycle could be completed.

Yup, that was me Image. Actually, I revised my date hypothesis after waveney pointed out that a single beginning character could represent 0. Which I expanded upon with the idea that the value of that single character could be significant, e.g. C=0 and D=/ would give 03/29/ so far.

Additionally, in my previous post I noticed that representing 1 could cause some issues in this format. If the sequence only runs once, it becomes ambiguous whether the extra "0" or "/" characters are part of that sequence or not, especially since they haven't been repeating on a precise interval. In light of that, I don't see anything wrong with 14 being represented with 14 repeats rather than 1 + 4, other than that it means that we may have to wait two weeks before we know if location data will follow.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:12 pm UTC

slinches wrote:Additionally, in my previous post I noticed that representing 1 could cause some issues in this format. If the sequence only runs once, it becomes ambiguous whether the extra "0" or "/" characters are part of that sequence or not, especially since they haven't been repeating on a precise interval. In light of that, I don't see anything wrong with 14 being represented with 14 repeats rather than 1 + 4, other than that it means that we may have to wait two weeks before we know if location data will follow.

It would seem that once again, we are waiting for it. Just like old times.

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

This is not the end, this is not the beginning

Postby AluisioASG » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:12 pm UTC

For ucim.
Spoiler:

About rvloon's farewell, it's sad to see a friend go. But then, it's possible that I'm too drifting away from the OTT, slowly, now into related side-projects, maybe in the future into other things. But be known that even if I disappear from here…
Spoiler:
I will be watching. With my wizard eyes.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:12 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
Spoiler:
Tried filling your day
Spoiler:
with joy and fun.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Goodbye

Ninja'd by Chronosdragon. Just wanted to say that I was first a bit confused about it, then I learned about the Burma Shave advertising stunt. Well, I guess I was one of the lucky 10.000.
But, as Paracelsus postulated: The dose makes the poison. It was certainly a very good idea, but it was a bit to much, a bit too fast. I guess most people would have enjoyed this a lot more, if it came at an hourly interval or so. So, yes, you succeeded in bringing a bit joy to the thread. In fact it was overjoyed (sorry). ;-)
Last edited by Sciscitor on Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:15 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:14 pm UTC

I am excited to follow your site Kieryn. Model ship building!? I must express my jealousy. I see the posts are quite old. Did you ever finish it? I have always wanted to try building such a model. It is on a long to-do list.

Hurray! More Acts of the Clerics! :mrgreen:

ETA: HAPPY 1000th Charlie!
Spoiler:
Last edited by k.bookbinder on Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:18 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:37 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
slinches wrote:Additionally, in my previous post I noticed that representing 1 could cause some issues in this format. If the sequence only runs once, it becomes ambiguous whether the extra "0" or "/" characters are part of that sequence or not, especially since they haven't been repeating on a precise interval. In light of that, I don't see anything wrong with 14 being represented with 14 repeats rather than 1 + 4, other than that it means that we may have to wait two weeks before we know if location data will follow.

It would seem that once again, we are waiting for it. Just like old times.

Except now it'll be even harder to explain to outsiders what we're excitedly waiting for. :D

Friend: What are you doing?
Me: I'm reading the OTT.
Friend: Why? Didn't that thing end weeks ago?
Me: Yes, but we don't talk about that. Now we're watching the boat move around frame by frame and looking for patterns in the sequence.
Friend: :? ... [backs away slowly]
Me: Wait, I think we've found a date in the ... :(

smolloy

Postby smolloy » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:40 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:Interesting infographic: Shows number of forum posts for each TimeFrame/Newpix. The timeframes are scaled to outsider time so that they are doubly spaced after 242 when they started updating hourly.

Another awesome chart from Kieryn (P225)!
16.288% blitzed (I can't believe it went backwards!): Wait for me!
At the moment I calculate my blitz-percentage based on the total number of newpages (which of course continues to rise). Perhaps I should base it on the number of the newpix we do not mention (1254) instead? Opinions?

svenman

Ottification: Ignorance

Postby svenman » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:43 pm UTC

svenman wrote:ETA: Oooh, TheMinim, now there's an idea: I should really try ottifying Tim Minchin one of these days...

Guess what, I went ahead and did it.

For all of you not familiar with Tim Minchin, a good point to start is the original of my ottification. Hang in if it seems somewhat pompously preachy until long after you'd have expected the first punchline, it's all part of the joke. If you want to go on checking out his other stuff, he's pretty awefulsome, but sometimes can be a bit in your face with his views on religion. Not that you'd have to agree with them to enjoy his performances, and I wouldn't expect it to be a problem with anyone who also enjoys xkcd anyway.

ETA: A warning for adult language and topics that sometimes aren't safe for work and may even squick you out is in order for Tim Minchin too, I think. ETA 2: The link I gave, however, just contains moderately adult language which shouldn't be a problem in most people's workspace, nothing squicky.

Also, in case you wonder, unfortunately I wasn't able to preserve the way the main punchline works in the original. But I'm still pretty pleased with how it turned out. So, enjoy:

This is a song about ignorance
And the feeling of ignorance
And a journey to get rid of the... feeling of... ignorance
It's called:

Ignorance
(based on "Prejudice" by Tim Minchin)

Spoiler:
In our knowledge-based modern society
There is still stuff that you never knew
A word with a cryptic usage
Born in a corner of the Internet unknown to you
Just five seemingly familiar letters
Arranged in a way that will form a word
That can bring a smile to the faces of those rare people
Who happen to know what it's about

A couple of Ts, an R and an E, and also an O
Just five little letters all jumbled together
Make a word with a meaning you just don't know

And it's important that we understand
That if these people should happen to choose
To use the word to refer to themselves
It doesn't mean the rest of you have a clue to its use

So never underestimate
The power that jargon imparts
To those for whom "ottification" is a real word
That means a subgenre of several arts

A couple of Ts - tease them, if you want, about it
An R and an E - even go ahead and shout it
And also an O - no, in the end you still won't comprehend
Even if I spell it out again...

Yeah

Only an otter would call another otter otter
So listen if you value your mental health
Better don't become an otter yourself, yeah

As an otter you would hardly ever get to bed
Spend your nights ketching up on the One True Thread
Watching stick figures build sandcastles on the beach
Comparing images, pixel for pixel each
And you'd learn words like treeish and seaish
Molpy, dilgunnerang and riverish
But until then it just will seem like gibberish
And those words are ours and ours alone

Don't you know that...
Yeah, only an otter would call another otter otter
So if I post a fake ONG
And ottify a song
Then you wouldn't be wrong
To guess I've spent a long while on it
But only an otter would call another otter otter

Now listen to me
We're not looking for sympathy
Just 'cause Randall ended the OTC
Though the GLR stopped making newpix
The otters still keep coming up with new trick
s

I imagine if you'd see our creOTTivity
You'd admire our artistic sensitivity
And pretty soon develop a proclivity
To ask if you, too, may call us otters
And I'd say:
"I don't think that's appropriate!"

'Cause only an otter should call another otter otter
And all the forumites, they agree it's a fact
Once you've gone OTT, you can't go back

Yeah go blitz through the thread, all you faithful wowterful blitzers you!

Yeah, we learnt to patiently Wait For It
The alt-text told us so, and that was what we did
Finally we read "The End" after a few dix of "Run"
But pretending you were there with us is just not on

If you really want to be an otter like us
Then you'll have to prove you're not just trying to sh*te us
The word you must be able to get right is
Semencoffeecancerbaconbabiesonice

And if you find something neat
On the thread, it's a feat
You're invited to repeat
Or even beat
From your seat

We write haikus, double-dactyls and panther salve ads
Adorn our avatars with buffygirl's hats
Make songs and photo-manips that are awefulsome
And I don't mean awful but awesome and also fulsome
It's a play on words

And only an otter could tell the difference from a nutter
Just like only a blitzer knows what it's like to blitz in fits, yeah

Yeah, only an otter
Only an otter
Only an otter, yeah
We are having a lotta
Treeish times and we're not a
Bunch of hopeless nerds but a
CreOTTivity hotspot that keeps getting hotter

Still only an otter would call another otter... otter.

Edit 3: Fixed failing my own test :( and also made some other adjustments to the lyrics
Edit 4: Further minor adjustments to lyrics
Edit 5: And another little improvement
Edit 6: Argh, fixed a typo that got introduced in the last edit
Last edited by svenman on Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:25 am UTC, edited 6 times in total.
Apart from Forum Games, mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams thanks all of us who helped. Her life is much better now.

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:48 pm UTC

From http://xkcd.com/120/

Redundant-:
Spoiler:
Dating Service.png

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:57 pm UTC

Oh by the way... I didn't notice it at first but: Happy 1000 Posts, charlie_grumbles!
(Sorry no cake, I'm not good at baking, but sincere congratulations!)

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:58 pm UTC

-blindposting from NP 1314-

Here, have a colored frame!
Frame 42
(click for hi-res version)

redundant
Spoiler:
frame42_colored_smaller.png

frame42_colored.jpg

frame42_redundant.png
frame42_redundant.png (7.54 KiB) Viewed 17690 times

nerdsniped

Postby nerdsniped » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:59 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:
HES wrote:
Exodies wrote:
Whizbang wrote:I'm not a user of this (sorry, I don't have a smartphone or other device that could use it), but it seems like an option to display a random frame would be wanted as well.

{P1299}
That's built in - just look at your phone at random intervals.

That's not random though, it's heavily weighted towards human impatience

I guess you just have to
Spoiler:
weight for it

Groan, sir. Groan, I say. If I catch up with you on the forum, you had best ...
Spoiler:
RUN!
New to the Time thread? Click here!

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

"Expect friskiness." -- keithl

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:00 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:Image
From http://xkcd.com/120/

Redundant-:
Spoiler:
Dating Service.png

:) i think that is my favorite one yet.
Image- Kieryn

svenman

Postby svenman » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:00 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:Oh by the way... I didn't notice it at first but: Happy 1000 Posts, charlie_grumbles!
(Sorry no cake, I'm not good at baking, but sincere congratulations!)

Not the best note to post your 1000th post on, regrettably. :(
Apart from Forum Games, mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams thanks all of us who helped. Her life is much better now.

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:14 pm UTC

Sad, sad newpage, with all those goodbyes...

Great, great newpage, with a new Act of the Clerics (always so good!), a new gem by whizbang, the latest Burma-Shaves (I do want more), flashes from the past...

And still, it's not ending. Neither the page, nor the OTT.
Last edited by Ximenez on Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:19 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:14 pm UTC

Is it the ong the quenches flames? Is it the ong that beats the heart? Is it the mind that reads the comic or the comic that seeds the mind? Does the needle make the scarf or is it the thread? What pulls this thing? Why am I speaking like this? Help? Help? Anyone, if you're reading this, I'm trapped in some kind of weird question mark pretentious poetry place? Ooo, cake?

eta: The thing that bugs me most about posting in the thread when it's slow like this is that the longer your last post sits there without anyone responding or saying anything else the more you feel like that guy at the party who makes stupid comments and clears the room :? :)
Last edited by jovialbard on Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:24 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:24 pm UTC

If there's cake in pretentious poetry place, count me in! :D

Randammit, I coma for like, eight nopix and all of a sudden:

rvloon wrote:...a good time to say that I probably will go into lurking-mode from here on (so I don't have to go to the basement).
AluisioASG wrote:...But then, it's possible that I'm too drifting away from the OTT, slowly, now into related side-projects, maybe in the future into other things.
charlie_grumbles wrote:...Goodbye

What the chirp?
Spoiler:
(This is also official notification that all I'm just gonna lurks are now considered byes in the bright beady eyes of the molpy army.
You can't escape basementing that easily! The molpies may be riverish but they are also bent-baobabish*.)

Okay, now for fun stuff:
Awesomeful AotC, ucim!
Treeish ottification, svenman!
Steakish job on the OTTercomic, Whizbang - I was wondering when someone would do that one!
Treeish OTColored newpix and redundacue, Earthling on Mars!
Don't worry, feed squirpys!
Spoiler:

*probably know what they're doing
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”