1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

pelrigg

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby pelrigg » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:49 pm UTC

Just a relatively quick note, then I MUST get ready for work...

This idea came to me a dip or so ago, I keep forgetting to mention it:

pelrigg sideways thinkingtm

A What If, in several parts.

re: the repeating Epilogue Frames.

What If: GLR is thinking like a "Vegon"? (think 'Contact' here.)
In other words; what if the message isn't just in the pattern of the images "spelling" out the date (like slinches said), but somehow the hashes are involved with the "message"? (Yes, that would mean these last five hashes were selected.)
And What If the 'mustard' of the 'late' repeating frame at the beginning was also part of the 'message'?

Now I don't have the cypto skills nor the computer skills to figure out the "how" of it, but maybe this might be something to keep in mind.

Anyway, I MUST RUN. (Still need to make my lunch and then to work.)

Even if this turns out to be a silly idea, have a good dip on the OTT.

edit: and page pope for the record... No decree... except have fun and Wait For IT...
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

TheMinim

Re: Post-Festival Ketchup

Postby TheMinim » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:04 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
TheMinim wrote:Okay, I did cheat a little. But that's because I knew/heard of the end and needed to get here and have a limited attention span.

And now, my dearies, I be in the Present once more!

Yay, welcome back! *waits for Jose to include Minim in the next AotC* ;)

Thank you! :D

Welcome back Hal9000 and yappobiscuits! :D And other people! :D
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:07 pm UTC

Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Valarya

Re: The Database

Postby Valarya » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:21 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:Small Database update: Users now with tiny sparkline activity charts under their avatar.

Quick suggestion on a couple pages of your site, Sciscitor. When scrolling through OTColorizations or Ottercomics, it'd be nice to have the page-navigation buttons at the bottom as well. Everything you've done here is just treeish!! :D
Also, for some reason none of my OTTercomics are up there.

ZoomanSP wrote:ETA: Hmm, I thought Kieryn mentioned somewhere that he's in New York, but now his marker on the map is in Nashville. Well, I think I'll be close to jetpac, then...

That was my fault, lol. In the earlier stages of the map I was trying to search for random people and accidentally stuck Kieryn on my marker. I'm surprised I didn't load a ton of OTTers up there. :oops: He is in NY.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:24 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
ZoomanSP wrote:ETA: Hmm, I thought Kieryn mentioned somewhere that he's in New York, but now his marker on the map is in Nashville. Well, I think I'll be close to jetpac, then...

That was my fault, lol. In the earlier stages of the map I was trying to search for random people and accidentally stuck Kieryn on my marker.

Or do you just want to have him so close?
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

he/him/his

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:24 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
Flado wrote:
jovialbard wrote:A time will come when the present is littered with little but the far flung messages of blitzers from the past.

Hello! I heard that! Explain yourself!&

(Perhaps not very witty. But litter!?)

I know, right? But I think jovialbard was just being melancholy.

{P1318}
I think that in these cases, littered means like the floor of an autumn forest, not a street outside a fast food joint.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:59 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:Small Database update: Users now with tiny sparkline activity charts under their avatar.

Quick suggestion on a couple pages of your site, Sciscitor. When scrolling through OTColorizations or Ottercomics, it'd be nice to have the page-navigation buttons at the bottom as well. Everything you've done here is just treeish!! :D

Thank you Valarya. The bottom navigation has been added. Concerning your OTTercomics: I did a quick and dirty scrape of the wikipages, maybe yours weren't yet there when I did it. You can either add them yourself or just let me know where to find them and I will add them.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:00 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:
Valarya wrote:

Thank you Valarya. The bottom navigation has been added. Concerning your OTTercomics: I did a quick and dirty scrape of the wikipages, maybe yours weren't yet there when I did it. You can either add them yourself or just let me know where to find them and I will add them.

Not quite sure, but on the Wiki were quite a bit of my ottifications, and it only shows the last one. So you may want to check the database import code for anything odd.

Cheers,

Ronald
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:06 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:
cellocgw wrote:
irino wrote:I myself will be going to UC Davis in a month and majoring in physics, which, I have found out, is more intimidating to Outside people than I thought. I must be reading too much xkcd.

Yeah, take it from a Physics&Math major whose age can be determined thru Carbon-dating -- all you have to do is say "I'm a physicist" and everyone's eyes glaze over like you're a particularly incomprehensible and boring alien species :(

'Round these parts, you say, 'I'm a physicist' and everyone's eyes glaze over like you're a particularly ordinary person who can't think of any better way of starting a conversation than stating the obvious.

OK, then what do you do when you're having a more or less "normal" chat and someone asks "what do you do?" No way out.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:11 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
Angelastic wrote:
cellocgw wrote:
irino wrote:I myself will be going to UC Davis in a month and majoring in physics, which, I have found out, is more intimidating to Outside people than I thought. I must be reading too much xkcd.

Yeah, take it from a Physics&Math major whose age can be determined thru Carbon-dating -- all you have to do is say "I'm a physicist" and everyone's eyes glaze over like you're a particularly incomprehensible and boring alien species :(

'Round these parts, you say, 'I'm a physicist' and everyone's eyes glaze over like you're a particularly ordinary person who can't think of any better way of starting a conversation than stating the obvious.

OK, then what do you do when you're having a more or less "normal" chat and someone asks "what do you do?" No way out.

I change the pattern of lights.

he/him/his

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:23 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:Woooooo, welcome back @HAL and @yappo! *glomp* Image

yappobiscuits wrote:We also did some folky jamming in the campsite which was awesomeful.

Woah, loved watching this! You're quite good at that accordion there. Too many buttons for me so I always find those (and guitars) doubly impressive. And the way your hat is hanging makes you seem even more pirate-ish. :mrgreen:

Yay! *glomps back*
Thanks, it's a bandana not a hat though. But maybe that's heretical...
BlueCrab wrote::oops: I knew the Major General's song had been OTTified but I must have been interrupted while reading it, I was under the impression that it was a fragment. I'd rather not continue fiddling with my version of it now - the ZoomanSP/yappobiscuits version is definitive in my book!

Your version was looking really promising though! More along the lines of the original Major General's Song (Zooman's was more based on Every Major's Terrible). I'd still like to see it finished!
Neil_Boekend wrote:The new What If is here

RELATED: It mentions a song that was rather treeishly ottified by rvloon!
Neil_Boekend wrote:
cellocgw wrote:OK, then what do you do when you're having a more or less "normal" chat and someone asks "what do you do?" No way out.

I change the pattern of lights.

I make sounds and then arrange the sounds into patterns hoping people enjoy the patterns of sounds.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:27 pm UTC

From http://xkcd.com/695/

Redundant-:
Spoiler:
Spirit.png

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:43 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:The bottom navigation has been added. Concerning your OTTercomics: I did a quick and dirty scrape of the wikipages, maybe yours weren't yet there when I did it. You can either add them yourself or just let me know where to find them and I will add them.

Awesomeful! And as rvloon said.. my stuff was on the Wiki so not too sure about that. They did get added a tad later, though. Maybe that's all!

yappobiscuits wrote:
Valarya wrote:And the way your hat is hanging makes you seem even more pirate-ish. :mrgreen:

Yay! *glomps back*
Thanks, it's a bandana not a hat though. But maybe that's heretical...

Hah! I did actually mean to say bandana but I am still heavily medicated for this lovely lil sinus infection. It's probably just amoeba eating away at my face...

@Whizbang's at it again! STEAKISH and absolutely WOW.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:47 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:
Flado wrote:
jovialbard wrote:A time will come when the present is littered with little but the far flung messages of blitzers from the past.

Hello! I heard that! Explain yourself!&

(Perhaps not very witty. But litter!?)

I know, right? But I think jovialbard was just being melancholy.

{P1318}
I think that in these cases, littered means like the floor of an autumn forest, not a street outside a fast food joint.

You're all trash you hear me, trash I tells ya, nothing but trash! :lol:

Ode to an Autumn Leaf
Spoiler:
Trash I tells ya!
Throw it in a bag!
Chuck it by the side of the road!
Send it to the dump!
Trash I tells ya!
Nothing but trash!
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Blindpost from NP 1316

Postby Earthling on Mars » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:54 pm UTC

Another OTThercomic.

redundant
Spoiler:
real_timewaiters.png

blitzgirl_redundakitty.png
blitzgirl_redundakitty.png (10.92 KiB) Viewed 15991 times

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:01 pm UTC

Haha, great one Earthling!

cameroda

Postby cameroda » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:04 pm UTC

With a Proclaimers piece woven into it and modified to fit the theme! (or should I say M-ottified?)

Swein

Postby Swein » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:16 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:
Spoiler:

From http://xkcd.com/695/

Aww, Whizbang! That othercomic has always been my number one Image in xkcd! Very nice OTTification!

Earthling on Mars wrote:Another OTThercomic.

Spoiler:

From http://xkcd.com/378/

And this one was treeish too! :D

[edit] Fix general tag FUBAR - I finally noticed HES little comment :oops:
Last edited by Swein on Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:42 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
The past is full of traps, charms and mirages, but if you just keep up with with what you are doing it will all be fine.

HES

Postby HES » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:30 pm UTC

Swein wrote:
Spoiler:

Did you mean to lay the spoiler trap here?
He/Him/His Image

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:09 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:

That was my fault, lol. In the earlier stages of the map I was trying to search for random people and accidentally stuck Kieryn on my marker. I'm surprised I didn't load a ton of OTTers up there. :oops: He is in NY.

Yep yep, I'm in NY... and Zooman, feel free to PM me if you would like to pop by and say hello while you are in the area... we're so spread out that I welcome the opportunity to meet a fellow OTTer when the opportunity arises.

Also: #newslide
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:24 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:Also: #newslide

Cool. I'm slightly confused by the alt-text voice. Is the story primarily going to be second, third, or first person? I thought you said you were inspired by Time, this doesn't look all that minimalist to me! The art is kind of intriguing but it looks like a lot of work, though I guess I haven't seen how much you plan to rely on reuse yet. Ambitious much? :wink: (We all know you are, but also that you can usually pull it off)
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:31 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:The art is kind of intriguing but it looks like a lot of work

That picture took me about 35 minutes to draw / paint on a 6' x 4' card last night ... plus about 5 minutes to digitize/upload. I figure that's totally feasible for one slide per day. Also, not every slide need be as detailed.

Okay, no more clues ... next update at 12pm EST, 4 pm UTC tomorrow ;)
Image- Kieryn

magma pixie

Postby magma pixie » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:56 pm UTC

Just poking my head in to say hi. Feeling quiet, and needing to pay attention to Outside (job huntingugh), but still appreciating this place very much.

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:58 pm UTC

magma pixie wrote:Just poking my head in to say hi. Feeling quiet, and needing to pay attention to Outside (job huntingugh), but still appreciating this place very much.

Hi! :D
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:00 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:
magma pixie wrote:Just poking my head in to say hi. Feeling quiet, and needing to pay attention to Outside (job huntingugh), but still appreciating this place very much.

Hi! :D

Low!
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

schwartzbewithyou

Postby schwartzbewithyou » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:00 pm UTC

@BlitzGirl, pelrigg, yappobiscuits, and k.bookbinder - Thank you for your compliments on the Monomolpy pieces!!

cellocgw wrote:
schwartzbewithyou wrote:Hopefully to help with some of the Post-Time Stress Disorder... I bring you Monomolpy pieces v5.0! Now with improved water transportation!

Redundant:
Spoiler:
Enhance!
Monomolpy pieces 5.png

enhance.png

Eh? One of 'em is a diaphragm? :oops:

Haha... well, i guess if you wear diaphragms on your head? A CAD beanie turned out to be more difficult to render than I thought...work with me here!

Sciscitor wrote:@schwartzbewithyou: Treeish Monomolpy pieces. One minor nitpick though - the trebuchet seems to be lacking a counterweight.

Thanks Sciscitor - I'll fix that in the next go around. I meant to offer up earlier that if anyone has comments or suggestions on the pieces I'm open to changing them. Things like... here's how to make that beanie look less like a diaphragm :D

HES wrote:
pelrigg wrote:That reminds me I haven't seen any OTT-Chance or OTT-Community Chest cards or Monomolpy Money yet, have I..... Another ongoing project...

Could make use of the riverish Monopoly page on our wiki. I've made a few edits to set things up.

OOoooh I somehow missed along the way that there was a Monomolpy wiki page! Maybe this would be an apt time to learn some wiki editing skills..

intheshax wrote:...i haven't left...

I'm glad you're still here :) Have you ever tried making a kakuro puzzle? I never got that into Sudoku, but Kakuros are my favorite. Probably more difficult to time-ify though

@Kieryn I am looking forward to seeing your daily creations - good luck keeping it up!
Dracomax wrote:I've been out of school for 5 years, and I'm still trying to figure out why everyone keeps acting like I know what I'm doing.

It's something unpredictable, but in the end is right/I hope you had the time of your life.

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:14 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
Valarya wrote:

Yep yep, I'm in NY... and Zooman, feel free to PM me if you would like to pop by and say hello while you are in the area... we're so spread out that I welcome the opportunity to meet a fellow OTTer when the opportunity arises.

Ditto to all that!

And I'm very interested to see how this site turns out Kieryn, nice job with the artwork! I haven't checked it on mobile yet, so maybe you're UA sniffing and already doing this, but having so much story or narration in title text takes away a lot when viewed on a smartphone.

ETA: Or, random moment of CSS inspiration, you could only display it to small screens in a CSS pseudo-element!

Code: Select all

@media (max-width: 700px) {
  img:after {
    content: attr(title);
  }
}

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:22 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:The bottom navigation has been added. Concerning your OTTercomics: I did a quick and dirty scrape of the wikipages, maybe yours weren't yet there when I did it. You can either add them yourself or just let me know where to find them and I will add them.

Awesomeful! And as rvloon said.. my stuff was on the Wiki so not too sure about that. They did get added a tad later, though. Maybe that's all!

I found two OTTerComics of you in the wiki, Val. Added them now by hand (much faster, than a code rewrite).

Sorry, but I am somehow sad today and not very productive. All with the thread being slow and the very sad OtherComic :cry: . It was one of the saddest I've encountered on xkcd and the alt-text doesn't really help either.

Speaking about alt-text. I would like to second the opinion that mouseover text takes away a lot of the experience when accessing Kieryn's site using a touch device (as I did).
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:23 pm UTC

jetpac wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
Valarya wrote:

Ditto to all that!

And I'm very interested to see how this site turns out Kieryn, nice job with the artwork! I haven't checked it on mobile yet, so maybe you're UA sniffing and already doing this, but having so much story or narration in title text takes away a lot when viewed on a smartphone.

ETA: Or, random moment of CSS inspiration, you could only display it to small screens in a CSS pseudo-element!

@media (max-width: 700px) {
  img:after {
    content: attr(title);
  }
}

Thanks jetpac (Edit: & Sciscitor) -- Yes a mobile version was on my mind... I haven't had chance yet, but I'll be optimizing a version for small displays very soon, including adding the same kind of alt text display that http://m.xkcd.com uses.

Edit: Okay as a quick fix, if you're viewing from a mobile device then it ought to render the alt text above the image. Regular desktop/laptop browsers in theory should be unaffected.
Last edited by Kieryn on Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:36 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Image- Kieryn

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:35 pm UTC

waveney wrote:
Angelastic wrote:
cellocgw wrote:

I have as a significant hobby - Astrophysics (Irregular galaxies in particular). People expect me to look through telescopes and at pictures and say isn't that pretty. I actually spend my time doing deep numerical analysis using existing public data from serious telescopes (SDSS, Hubble, Galex) that has simply been ignored. I think nothing of using 60 CPU days on my server reducing a vast database to 6 numbers (plus error bars). Around me there is all of 6 astronomical photos that is all. Yes I am a geek.

When I say I'm a math major, the response is always, "what's 5 + 8?" or some such. At least their eyes don't glaze over until I start trying to explain that my degree isn't in accounting.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:58 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
Angelastic wrote:
Spoiler:
cellocgw wrote:

They'd say, 'duh, of course you're a physicist. I mean what do you do? Higgs to gamma-gamma? String theory *suppressed giggle*? [insert technobabble here]?'

But that's just 'round these parts. If that sounds like the kind of conversation you'd like to have, maybe you should come here.

ttscp wrote:When I say I'm a math major, the response is always, "what's 5 + 8?" or some such. At least their eyes don't glaze over until I start trying to explain that my degree isn't in accounting.

Same here; why, if I had a dollar for every time someone assumed that my maths degree was in accounting, I'd have… uh… carry the phi… some amount of money greater than ±ε… I think.

I thought the beanie monomolpy piece looked like a planetarium. :)
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:00 pm UTC

And another OTThercomic.

Title text:
Spoiler:
With a super soaker?

redundant
Spoiler:
making_otthercomics.png

opening_redundaspoilers.png
opening_redundaspoilers.png (8.93 KiB) Viewed 15743 times

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:42 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:

RELATED: It mentions a song that was rather treeishly ottified by rvloon!

Why, thank you! Did you see 'Wild Mountain Thyme' on the previous page? Maybe I spoilered too much of it, because it seems that my regular fans didn't see it (they usually comment :) )

I thought it would be right up your alley, stylewise.

Ronald
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:01 pm UTC

Hahah, Earthling on Mars. I chuckled. :mrgreen:

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:02 pm UTC

Earthling: wowterful * 2!

Whizbang: another 7 one!

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:23 pm UTC

Here's my partial ketchup. It's taken me about 27 nopix to get through 8 of the 12 NPs I was behind, between trying to listen to/read/appreciate everything, Outside life, and the fact that I was unable to stave off coma last nip. The following are things I saw that were 4 and 7 and wanted to comment on. Please note, these comments were written with one hand, since my meowlpy required that my other hand be petting her.

Svenman- cool LaPetite ottification!

BlueCrab--bumping firstposts and "OTTer for the OTC". (And I like ketchup on my scrambled eggs.)

buffygirl's 700th post

BlitzGirl's 2400th post

Swein's ottification

Davidy's discussion of the date based on he night sky--didn't Kieryn do some work on that? Has he weighed in? Probably too busy with his new website.

Buffygirl--I didn't see the NSFW warning. I thought "Bounce That Dick" was a euphemism for something. But nope. That was hilarious, but would have been funnier if I hadn't just seen some of the really offensive sexist videos it was parodying. They are disturbing.

Valarya, I'm also a Maru fan! So glad BlitzGirl brought Maru into the OTT.

favorite buffyhat is mine, although I likethe ice cream on azule's head. And HES's, with the mustache.How cute it that?

mscha's colorification.

Marsh'n's flame-quenching threat with his space modulator thingamabob.

mikrit's Swedish ottification.

pelrigg's colorification--and happy 700!

azule's thongs. OK, that sounds very, very wrong. :shock:

Vytron's in the Present! :) And now he's not. :( Well, it was nice to see xim briefly.

ZoomanSP's German OTTification

k.bookinder, good luck on the job search!

Schwartzbewithyou, gin and the OTT don"t mix! And nice work on the Monomolpy pieces.

pikrass, nice to see you! Don't worry about skipping. It's nice being in the present.

And a couple of quotes:

slinches wrote:Friend: What are you doing?
Me: I'm reading the OTT.
Friend: Why? Didn't that thing end weeks ago?
Me: Yes, but we don't talk about that. Now we're watching the boat move around frame by frame and looking for patterns in the sequence.
Friend: :? ... [backs away slowly]
Me: Wait, I think we've found a date in the ... :(

hahahaha

jovialbard wrote:Is it the ong the quenches flames? Is it the ong that beats the heart? Is it the mind that reads the comic or the comic that seeds the mind? Does the needle make the scarf or is it the thread? What pulls this thing? Why am I speaking like this? Help? Help? Anyone, if you're reading this, I'm trapped in some kind of weird question mark pretentious poetry place? Ooo, cake?

eta: The thing that bugs me most about posting in the thread when it's slow like this is that the longer your last post sits there without anyone responding or saying anything else the more you feel like that guy at the party who makes stupid comments and clears the room :? :)

jovialbard, I hope you've escaped? From the weird question mark place? Oh wait, it's contagious?

Your ETA is so true. That's happened to me before, and that is exactly what it feels like. :D

And hey, you wrote a book! That's so cool. Is it only available for Kindle? Because I'm Kindle-less. I read a little of the preview, and it sounds treeish! (But not like Entish.)

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

irino

Postby irino » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:29 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:
Spoiler:
cellocgw wrote:
Angelastic wrote:
cellocgw wrote:

They'd say, 'duh, of course you're a physicist. I mean what do you do? Higgs to gamma-gamma? String theory *suppressed giggle*? [insert technobabble here]?'

But that's just 'round these parts. If that sounds like the kind of conversation you'd like to have, maybe you should come here.

ttscp wrote:When I say I'm a math major, the response is always, "what's 5 + 8?" or some such. At least their eyes don't glaze over until I start trying to explain that my degree isn't in accounting.

Same here; why, if I had a dollar for every time someone assumed that my maths degree was in accounting, I'd have… uh… carry the phi… some amount of money greater than ±ε… I think.

"Physics."
"Me, too! Awesomeful!"

Or you could 1222 it.

For now, though, I can say I'm going to be in college. Leaves it open. Who knows, I could be doing Music!

Earthling on Mars: 4! (The problem with Super Soakers isn't that they can't uninstall Paint.NET, it's that they also uninstall the blitzing mechanism, i.e., Firefox.)

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:34 pm UTC

rvloon wrote:Why, thank you! Did you see 'Wild Mountain Thyme' on the previous page? Maybe I spoilered too much of it, because it seems that my regular fans didn't see it (they usually comment :) )

I thought it would be right up your alley, stylewise.

Ronald

Yeah I did, it was lovely! And as a huge folkie, it was indeed up my alley :)

karhell

Postby karhell » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:01 pm UTC

Having been informed that the OTT shows no sign of ending soon, and reassured that signposts are still welcome, here I am again, back in business with a new hammer and chisel ^^

Karhell's letters to the OTTers
Never mind the bollocks chapters

===== Summary =====
At the moment, Cuegan have left the wowterfall ("wow" indeed!), and head into the mountains, where what is surmised to be an armamolpy (but looks an awful lot like a hedgemolpy to me) has been sighted.

Many a smileworthy post has been submitted, in fact way too much to address individually. This is just a condensed edition of what I liked.
The literature (Acts of the Clerics, The Last TimeWaiter, and others I fail to remember right now), poetry, songs and filks hav been left out for the simple reason that... well I always enjoy them immensely, and noting everything would just contribute to a Wall of Text™ bigger than I could handle. Rest assured that all is being read and well appreciated :D

Also, lately (NP825-827) the trend of size5-rot13-morse text has started again. 'Tis really difficult and long to read. Could some of the more obscure actually contain a blitzer-translation ? Just a humble suggestion from someone who read it all, albeit with some difficulty.

Onwards!

===== Forum feature wishlist =====
Spoiler:
k.bookbinder wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:Some forums, including the only other one I'm a regular on, do in fact have such a feature.

Other forums have a button to report awesomeness and play epic guitar solos? :shock: OK, I must admit, I am a little jealous of such features.

This has just been added to my to-do list for when I get to writing custom forum software ^^

===== Impressive feat =====
Spoiler:
taixzo wrote:*falls out of time portal into thread*

I did it!!!!!!!! Hi everyone!

That was impressive !
Blitzgirl the fast is a huge understatement, in my opinion

===== A very brave soul =====
Spoiler:
hbarsquared wrote:Long time lurker, first time poster, everyone.

I've read ever comic, starting from Barrel - Part 1. The first one I discovered was sometime in... 2009?

Holy crap, this "quote-unquote" Time thing is still going on...

Every other day I take a look at (the site that updates with every new image, but because I'm a new user I cannot link it, perhaps it's aubronwood) to find the story still unfolding.

Panel 1900, is it?

At any given point in this constantly evolving storyline, I feel I am only a quarter of the way through the whole thing, the ultimate vision. For how many months/years/decades will Randall take this thing?

I've skimmed snippets of the thread. *sigh* Now to travel back in Time to the beginning...

See you in the Future...

Another brave soul embarks on an epic journey... Good luck (although you still have a post count of one, hope you didn't flee in terror, and are just too busy enjoying the ride ^^)

===== ASCII Magic Eye =====
Spoiler:
taixzo wrote:

[)}]{(></\^[)}]{(></\^[)}]{(></\^[)}]{(></\^
}]{(></\^[)}]{(></\^[)}]{(></\^[)}]{(></\^[)
]{(></\^[)}]{(></\^[)}]{(></\^[)}]{(></\^[)}
/\^[)}]{(></\^[)}]{(></\^[)}]{(></\^[)}]{(><
[)}]{(></\^[)}]{(></\^[)}]{(<-/\^[)}]{(<-/\^
[)}]{(></\^[)}]{(></\^[)}]{(</\(^[)}]{(</\(^
[)}]{(></\^[)}]{(></\^[)}]{(</\^[])}]{(</\^[
[)}]{(></\^[)}]{(></\^[)}]{(</\^[){}]{(</\^[
[)}]{(></\^[)}]{(></\^[)}]{(</\^[)}|]{(</\^[
[)}]{(></\^[)}]{(></\^[)}]{(</\^[)}]/{(</\^[
[)}]{(></\^[)}]{(></\^[)}]{(</\^[)}]{}(</\^[
[)}]{(></\^[)}]{(></\^[)}]{(<//\^[)}]{(<//\^
[)}]{(></\^[)}]{</\^[)}]{</\^[)}]{</\^[)}]{(
[)}]{(></\[)}]{(><\[)}]{(><\[)}]{(></\[)}]{(
[)}]{(></[)}]{(></[)}]{(></[)}]{(></[)}]{(><
[)}]{(><[)}]{(><[)}]{(><[)}]{(><[)}]{(><[)}]
[)}]{(>[)}]{(>[)}]{(>[)}]{(>[)}]{(>[)}]{(>[)
[)}]{([)}]{([)}]{([)}]{([)}]{([)}]{([)}]{([)

Ooooh, well played there ! I didn't know that kind of thing could be done in plain text like that.

===== OTT 3D map =====
Spoiler:
HES wrote:Early proof of concept, trying to get the scale down.

Non-heretical chocolate for guessing the location

Nice work there, but for some reason, I get the feeling that a landscape of those dimensions could work better as a mod for morrowind or something similar
*adds idea to ever-increasing to-do list*
Nevertheless, that's some fine map crafting :)

===== End of popedom-distortion =====
Spoiler:
pelrigg wrote:(new page Pope of 809? for how long, I wonder?)

As of 1369, you still are ^^

===== Unaware prophecy =====
Spoiler:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
cellocgw wrote:If you think that's bad, just wait until some OtherPersonInThe OTC explains to them how the giant canyons in the Western USA were pretty much carved in a couple days after a humungous ice-dam broke and spilled a great-lake-sized volume of water all at once. None of this "little river wears a spec of rock each day" stuff for us cowboys!

It is believed that the Mediterranean filled in a few days when the land bridge/dam at Gibraltar failed. Dam' where is my surfboard when I need it? Ride the wave all the way to Lebanon.

Trust the elders to point out something accurate ;)

===== BirthYearONG =====
Spoiler:
kenmelken wrote:Year-of-my-birth ONG (1988)!

Bears special mention since that's also true for me ^^

That's it for now, see you all in the future !

--karhell - logging out at the top of NP 828/1369
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

acunning40

Postby acunning40 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:22 pm UTC

I decided to try making an an OTTercomic....

(It might be better with different plant life/landscape to look more like the OTC, but that's beyond my drawing skills. If anybody else wants to do it, feel free. :))

Spoiler:
xkcd 319 OTTification.png

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”