1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

cellocgw

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby cellocgw » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:36 am UTC

HES wrote:
WARNING: EXPLICIT CONTENT

Which spurs me to say (aka rant) -- how many gosh-chirping words have Our Friends The Media appropriated to mean "obscene or sexual (or both)" ? Heck, if I write " 2 + 4 = 6" , that's pretty explicit! Or, why does "adult content" always mean boobies, rather than, say, explicit :oops: violence, or even a round-table discussion of the characters' motives in Dead Souls?

Then again, it's a cliche in my family to refer to a certain condiment which has become chirpish here as "mouse turd." Which I guess now could become minimolpy turd. :twisted:
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:41 am UTC

soooooo sorry. again.
Last edited by cellocgw on Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:51 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:46 am UTC

delete delete delete
Last edited by cellocgw on Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:51 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Former OTTer

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:47 am UTC

delete... rats. the forum doesn't let me. sorry sorry sorry
Last edited by cellocgw on Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:50 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Former OTTer

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:49 am UTC

Where the heck is everyone? I accidentally double-double posted! Sorry!!!!

cellocgw wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:Well, fellow OTTers, I am molpying down for the night. Wish me luck and good health as I go into oral surgery tomorrow, to get my wisdom teeth removed. It should be a fairly straightforward procedure, as there are no complications of any sort and I am told I won't remember a thing. By the by, if I happen to post anything...strange...tomorrow, there may be a good reason for it. We'll see. Until then, molpy down!

Probably too late to suggest this, but: save your extracted teeth, drill a small hole, and string them for a necklace!
(Yes, a certain OTTer, enthralled with the movie "If" , actually did this in his college days.) :oops:

BlitzGirl wrote:Thanks, waveney and Eternal Density! :)

Angelastic wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:In 2008 I upgraded to a Wacom Bamboo Fun with drawing area of 6x8", and noticed the improvement immediately. Less wrist strain, cleaner lines, etc. This was also a good graphics tablet, and I still have it as well. However, it met with a horrific moving accident in late 2011, and gained several etches on its surface. It's still workable, but inconvenient to use.

Could you tell me more about this moving accident? I'm moving soon, and while I still have the box my Bamboo came in, I was thinking about maybe bringing the tablet with me in a suitcase so I can use it during the time that I'll be living in a hotel while looking for a new apartment, instead of leaving it behind for the movers to take to wherever I end up living. So I'm wondering whether being wrapped in clothes would be sufficient to protect it in the suitcase, or I should put the whole big box in the suitcase.

Sure! A suitcase should be fine. What happened to my poor tablet was that it got packed in a moving box with other flat, somewhat fragile rectangular objects of the same size, including picture frames and a mirror. All of the objects were wrapped in bubble wrap, but somewhere en route the mirror shattered, and the shards sliced through the bubble wrap and wreaked havoc on everything else in the box, including the tablet. That's how it ended up with etches in its surface.

Since then I've bought a cheap neoprene sleeve (the kind used for slim notebook computers) and keep the tablet in that whenever I transport it anywhere, whether it's in a backpack to the local library or on a long move (though I keep it in my laptop case or suitcase, no more moving boxes). Sounds like clothes would do the trick, too. As long as you don't have anything sharp in your suitcase, no problem. :wink:

Gotta be some really bad Etch-A-Sketch jokes in there!

cellocgw wrote:
azule wrote:That's good. So does this imply that OTTers are left-brained? ;)

I errr... saw what you did there.

If we keep this going from one OTTer to another, is that a chainsaw letter?
Former OTTer

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:55 am UTC

cellocgw wrote:Where the heck is everyone? I accidentally double-double posted! Sorry!!!!

It's quintuple posting. ;-) And all others are baking cookies. All but Blitzgirl. She's almost certainly up to something completely different but wowterful astonishing. :)
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:08 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:Where the heck is everyone? I accidentally double-double posted! Sorry!!!!

I am busy making 2.6 MC/sec and making more time machines and upgrades and stuff.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:39 pm UTC

higgs-boson wrote:

It's quintuple posting. ;-) And all others are baking cookies. All but Blitzgirl. She's almost certainly up to something completely different but wowterful astonishing. :)

Nope, before she coma-ed she was baking cookies to.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

he/him/his

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:41 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:

I am busy making 2.6 MC/sec and making more time machines and upgrades and stuff.

I tried it, found it resistible. @cellocgw, you could report the posts and say "accidental double post" or some such, and they'd eventually disappear.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:55 pm UTC

Treeish drawing BlitzGirl! "And they lived happily ever after!"

BlitzGirl wrote:What happened to my poor tablet was that it got packed in a moving box with other flat, somewhat fragile rectangular objects of the same size, including picture frames and a mirror. All of the objects were wrapped in bubble wrap, but somewhere en route the mirror shattered, and the shards sliced through the bubble wrap and wreaked havoc on everything else in the box, including the tablet. That's how it ended up with etches in its surface.
So, did you
Spoiler:
(runs from the punsaw)
BlitzGirl wrote:Apparently Amtoo is not comfortable with the Panther Salve.
Maybe there's a real panther involved.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:15 pm UTC

Ongelukje? (accident?)

I think our hero accidentally chopped an arm off his sister during a simple game of cards.

he/him/his

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:55 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:Ongelukje? (accident?)
Spoiler:

I think our hero accidentally chopped an arm off his sister during a simple game of cards.

"Wanna join?"
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:55 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:I felt like making a sketch. So I made a sketch. Some Time after Time...

Redundant:
Spoiler:

ASketch.png

ASketchSmall.png

Keywords: BGUM sketch future after time cuegan offspring kids children sandcastle new
redundant148.png

Lovely! I ought to commission you to draw some new slides. :)
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:10 pm UTC

Make cookies while you work doo-doo doo doo doo doo doo
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

MistyCat

Postby MistyCat » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:21 pm UTC

BlindPosting from 450
Cheered by Sigcouragement from AluisioASG and Earthling on Mars.

I've made it to 450/1417
I shall reach the end.
Purrr.
MistyCat wrote:Ch*rpedy ch*rp the ch*rpng ch*rp.

Waiting for Lucky

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:26 pm UTC

It's Thursday (heretical, outside, yadayada boom-de), and I'm sad 'cause it's the one weekday with neither a new comic or a what-if.

Can someone come up with a special name for Thursdays, preferably SFW as well as free of chirpish mustardy words?

:cry:
Former OTTer

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:37 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:It's Thursday (heretical, outside, yadayada boom-de), and I'm sad 'cause it's the one weekday with neither a new comic or a what-if.

Can someone come up with a special name for Thursdays, preferably SFW as well as free of chirpish mustardy words?

I was thinking the same thing. :( Maybe XKCDammit Day? Or is that too mustardy?
Image- Kieryn

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:38 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:It's Thursday (heretical, outside, yadayada boom-de), and I'm sad 'cause it's the one weekday with neither a new comic or a what-if.
How about Heavyday. 'cause it's a day where we have to wait for it.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:42 pm UTC

ucim wrote:

Jose

I think he's a masochist...
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:44 pm UTC

Nilday?
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:45 pm UTC

ucim wrote:

Jose

OTTer Day, the day OTTers observe the One True Command

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:51 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:OTTer Day, the day OTTers observe the One True Command
I'm Jose, and I approve this message.

Jose

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:59 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
Whizbang wrote:OTTer Day, the day OTTers observe the One True Command
I'm Jose, and I approve this message.

Jose

We can wait. But in the meantime... #newslide :)
Image- Kieryn

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:21 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:We can wait. But in the meantime... #newslide :)

Reminiscent of http://xkcd.mscha.org/viewer/864

I like the animated lights. Treeish!

Jose

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:28 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:Probably too late to suggest this, but: save your extracted teeth, drill a small hole, and string them for a necklace!
(Yes, a certain OTTer, enthralled with the movie "If" , actually did this in his college days.) :oops:
They don't let you take them anymore. Something about "biohazard". While I like the games, I don't see why that means I can't take my teeth. :P

Maybe this is supposed to be User Submission Day. We should fix that by releasing original xkcd-style comics ourselves on Thursday. Problem solved.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:40 pm UTC

Redundant-:
Spoiler:
821 OTTified.png

Mustard version:
821 OTTified.png

ETF: mustard.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:05 pm UTC

azule wrote:
Maybe this is supposed to be User Submission Day. We should fix that by releasing original xkcd-style comics ourselves on Thursday. Problem solved.

Not a bad idea...:

[Heresy]
Spoiler:
"Social Norms"
unknown-toon.png

Caption text: "America's coffee industry runs on the idea that america runs on coffee."

On second thoughts... this is terrible! I should stick to OTTifications and obelisk.

[/Heresy]
Image- Kieryn

ttscp

Quantum Flash Fiction Competition

Postby ttscp » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:11 pm UTC

I saw this in Scientific American and thought otters might want to submit: Quantum Shorts flash fiction competition. According to the web site, "We challenge you to take inspiration from quantum theory to write flash fiction: a short story no longer than 1000 words."

I'm working on a story; given how creative we are as a community, I thought others here might also want to submit.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:15 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
azule wrote:

Not a bad idea...:

[Heresy]
Spoiler:
"Social Norms"
unknown-toon.png

Caption text: "America's coffee industry runs on the idea that america runs on coffee."

On second thoughts... this is terrible! I should stick to OTTifications and obelisk.

[/Heresy]

Nice. Which somehow zaped my alleged brain into coming up with yet another wacked-out idea for bored OTTers : Start OTTifying PHDcomics. Tho' that might be a little like the motto over at suck.com :P
Former OTTer

Kieryn

Re: Quantum Flash Fiction Competition

Postby Kieryn » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:18 pm UTC

ttscp wrote:I saw this in Scientific American and thought otters might want to submit: Quantum Shorts flash fiction competition. According to the web site, "We challenge you to take inspiration from quantum theory to write flash fiction: a short story no longer than 1000 words."

I'm working on a story; given how creative we are as a community, I thought others here might also want to submit.

Cool thanks for sharing that - that is interesting. I might think about writing a submission myself... in any case I'm going to need some topic for my next slide-based story...
Spoiler:
after obelisk is over. :shock:
Image- Kieryn

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:30 pm UTC

ONGUSTIFOLIATE...

-- posted by newpixbot
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:37 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:Not a bad idea...:

[Heresy]
Spoiler:
"Social Norms"
unknown-toon.png

[/Heresy]

I like it. :)

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:08 pm UTC

@Kieryn: Treeish OtherOtherComic!
@ttscp: Thanks for the heads-up about the flash fiction contest! I might have a go at that...
@Whizbang: Awesomeful OTTercomic - I see it's the one your avatar comes from!

ucim wrote:
Randammit, Jose. Image

ETA: Somehow missed this one in the sea of cellocgw posts:
cellocgw wrote:
cellocgw wrote:
azule wrote:That's good. So does this imply that OTTers are left-brained? ;)

I errr... saw what you did there.

If we keep this going from one OTTer to another, is that a chainsaw letter?

Image Image
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:19 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Bad Hair Man

Postby Bad Hair Man » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:18 pm UTC

Greetings again from the past. I'm up to page 302 out of 1417 now. Or 21.3% of the way through. I think that's something like half-a-percent of improvement over where I was last time. Progress! :) (Although for all I know I'm asymptotically approaching 25% completion or something, which would bode ill for my ever catching up at all.)

Anyway, this is what's happening in the thread right now:
spamjam wrote:Image
That and some haphazard discussion of making a bible of Time (by writing commentary on or near each comic frame) and then sending a physical copy to Randall, one page at a time.

But my reason for writing to you is the following. A post made April 11, but edited in the future (April 16) to send a message to Blitzgirl the past (I quote only the edit):
elementropy wrote:<temporal edit>

Blitzgirl:
Spoiler:
I hope you are doing well in your quest; we are cheering you on with more and more excitement as you get closer to catching the fast train we're riding into the future! BEAUTIFUL job on the poem, too!

StratPlayer wrote:
histrion wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:The Time Less Traveled

Two Times diverged in a forum thread:
The Now, and newpages long since made.
But which to wander? In my head
Current posting, the past unread,
Meant I would not be long delayed.

But lack context? I wouldn't dare -
So back into the past I went.
The One True Comic waited there
With newpix left by users fair
And discussions of religious bent.

Both Times that day appeared as just.
I chose the posts that had amassed.
And in Time, I knew I surely must
Re-glimpse the Now that was discussed,
Although by then it would be Past.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere newpix and newpix hence:
Two Times diverged in a thread and I —
I chose the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

That. Is. AWESOME.

Abso-posit-lute-ivly!!!

"Time is amazing, each moment that occurs;
the more I learn of it, the less I know it.
Hail Blitzgirl, of the massive titulars:
Time traveler, inspiration, and poet!"

--Anon

I just want to say, that this poem, long since posted from the perspective of the page on which these words will land, and not yet posted from the perspective of the page on which I currently stand, really is wonderful. Blitzgirl writing to the future, still in the past (I'm not sure just when, but presumably prior to the page I'm currently on, given that elementropy presumably posted it ahead of where she currently was then, so that she would shortly run into it), describing the journey she and I were/are both on, beautifully. It's very poignant, and I am touched. :cry:
HAL9000 wrote:The Passover bunny walks on water! So he be an representation of Horus!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:26 pm UTC

Thanks, Bad Hair Man! I wrote that when I was on Newpage 283, not long before your current past location - and it appeared on Newpage 338, so you will hopefully see the original soon. :) (My, the gap between Past and Present was riverish those dips!) I'm glad you enjoyed it. Image
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:40 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:I felt like making a sketch. So I made a sketch. Some Time after Time...
Spoiler:

Eee, baobabish and flutterbeewingish! Image So is the girl Megball's kid, and the boy Beanette and Amtoo's kid? Image Image
mscha wrote:ONGLE...
Spoiler:

Aha, I was wrong, THERE'S the safeword :P
mscha wrote:ONGUSTIFOLIATE...
Spoiler:

Amtoo: Ah. This is awkward. Did you hear us in there?
Expando (unconvincingly): ...no....
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:46 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
Spoiler:

Eee, baobabish and flutterbeewingish! Image So is the girl Megball's kid, and the boy Beanette and Amtoo's kid? Image Image

Thanks! Yes, that was the initial sketch concept: the child of Megan and Cueball and the child of Beanette and Amtoo build a sandcastle together. Image
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:59 pm UTC

Treeish! And in the background, is that a grown-up LaPetite in the boat? And is that Rosetta and Megball further inland? :)
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

BlitzGirl

Nopixly OSH

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:08 pm UTC

Yes and yes. :)
Top o' the nopix, Time to repost the OSH:
OSH

This is Cueball.
What newpix is he from?
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: Nopixly OSH

Postby SBN » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:36 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Yes and yes. :)
Top o' the nopix, Time to repost the OSH:
OSH

This is Cueball.
What newpix is he from?

frame 45
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”