1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

mrob27

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mrob27 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:47 pm UTC

azule wrote:(snipzy)
Maybe this is supposed to be User Submission Day. We should fix that by releasing original xkcd-style comics ourselves on Thursday. Problem solved.

A molpier idea I haven't heard in quite a while. Here's one of mine:

(later I realized this was probably not GLR's idea but I still don't think it was my idea. For background, google "Finitism")

Bad Hair Man wrote:Greetings again from the past. I'm up to page 302 out of 1417 now.
(snippity)
I just want to say, that this poem, long since posted from the perspective of the page on which these words will land, and not yet posted from the perspective of the page on which I currently stand, really is wonderful. Blitzgirl writing to the future, still in the past [...] It's very poignant, and I am touched. :cry:

Wow, blitzers at 302/1417, that's encouraging. Maybe I stand a chance after all.

I did read LotR and agreed with the author that "the book is too short" :o and this business of poignant poety sent between two time-travellers at different points in Time is just the sort of thing LotR would have if it were (epic) sci-fi rather than (epic) fantasy.

Bravo. I have my own version of needle_pulled_thing.txt (except it's called OTT.rhtf) and wanted to try a similar project, thanks for taking way too much time so I didn't have to 8-)

Two xkcd fonts were used.

Source, please? I have Humor Sans, but that's early GLR style, and now way too "sloppy" for xkcd.com/NNN where NNN is greater than about 500...

AluisioASG wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:I would have liked to see the inside of that Beanish outpost.

Spoiler:

Ooh, look out for the molpion (scorpiy?) under that stool!

Pikrass' Multiquote script is awesome, thanks again

Redundant:
Spoiler:

ETA reundaspoiler. Not sure if that's needed when the image is on my own website rather than having been uploaded to forums.xkcd.com, but why not? There's plenty of room in the OTT for more redundants.

ETA2: Ahh, it seems I'm page-pope. Since I already got a free decree (regarding the word molpier) I'll decree that everyone choose their own decree (so long as it's suitably treeish) ( -Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:51:57 pm UTC = newpix 3911.86)

Edit3: Replace image link with same image uploaded as an attachment.
Last edited by mrob27 on Wed May 07, 2014 9:52 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:51 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:
taixzo wrote:. . . Megan only attacked the cat with blunt objects; how would it have ended up with an open wound?

Wounds from blunt objects can bleed plenty, old D&D rules ("your religion forbids you to shed blood so you must bash your enemies to death with maces, hammers, morning stars, clubs, and staves") notwithstanding.

It is interesting how that meme started. Odo, Bishop of Bayeau, used a mace at Hastings because he didn't think a sword or other instrument to shed blood was appropriate for a cleric--although that may just be an interpretation of him in the tapestry holding a rod or mace of authority.

(blitzing from 906/1419)
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

Eternal Density

EDUP

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:01 pm UTC

azule wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:I'm not sure why, but I can't stop looking at azule's smiley.
azule, may I have a hypnotizing army of foxes?
Spoiler:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

(If I can't, fell free to take these for yourself)
Haha, of course you can. I love how my use of this fox (gifted by BG) has been seering itself into people's minds. :D
Spoiler:
Ffoxy, Ffoxy, Ffoxy, Ffoxy, Ffoxy, Ffoxy, Ffoxy, Ffoxy, Ffoxy, Ffoxy, Ffoxy, Ffoxy, Cookie, Cookie!
Yes azule those are the words I was already singing as soon as I saw AluisioASG's post :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
yappobiscuits wrote:Guys guys guys... what's this?
Spoiler:

Redundant
Spoiler:
8496_hires.png

redundakitty28.jpg
BlitzGirl wrote:Musical mustard?

(Silly wolpy. Leave the redunda-ing to the redundakitties.)
I think the mustard is ch*rping.
And that's a hilarious wolpy :D

Also I'm on 21MCps
[edit] make that 22: I just bought Trillion Fingers!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

yappobiscuits

Re: EDUP

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:17 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:I think the mustard is ch*rping.

Yes. I was trying to trick people into saying naughty words. *teehee*
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:26 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:

On that note, I guess I'd better get around to linking the Dilgunnerang song on the wiki. Assuming I can find where I posted it...
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

What is this?

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:31 pm UTC

A WIP of the map of the Otter Lands (GIMP tells me the working copy uses 1.1GB of memory):
Spoiler:
Otter Lands.png
Any resemblance to real things, animals, plants, persons, objects, prototypes or classes, is purely coincidental.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Eternal Density

Re: What is this?

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:37 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:A WIP of the map of the Otter Lands (GIMP tells me the working copy uses 1.1GB of memory):
Spoiler:
Any resemblance to real things, animals, plants, persons, objects, prototypes or classes, is purely coincidental.
Suuuuuuuure.
Last edited by Eternal Density on Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:06 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ggh

Postby ggh » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:41 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:

I have that very brand in my fridge. :)

I thought I would be clever and slide over to using chirp and mustard for all my outside swearing, since my tendency is to swear a lot, and now with the wee one, I don't want to say any bad words.
In some ways, it's working, but an unfortunate side-effect has been that when I say these words for real, e.g. "Honey, do you want some mustard on your ham?" (yes, my baby likes mustard), I feel like I'm being naughty.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:52 pm UTC

ggh wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:

I have that very brand in my fridge. :)

I thought I would be clever and slide over to using chirp and mustard for all my outside swearing, since my tendency is to swear a lot, and now with the wee one, I don't want to say any bad words.
In some ways, it's working, but an unfortunate side-effect has been that when I say these words for real, e.g. "Honey, do you want some mustard on your ham?" (yes, my baby likes mustard), I feel like I'm being naughty.

For swearing, use ch*rp and m*stard. For real use, chirp and mustard are acceptable.
"Ch*rping M*stard! that mustard colored bird is chirping loudly."
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

ggh

Postby ggh » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:07 am UTC

SBN wrote:
ggh wrote:I thought I would be clever and slide over to using chirp and mustard for all my outside swearing, since my tendency is to swear a lot, and now with the wee one, I don't want to say any bad words.

For swearing, use ch*rp and m*stard. For real use, chirp and mustard are acceptable.

Wait - how would these sound different? Or is that the joke?
Or, are you saying it would just be enough psychologically for me to know there was a difference even if I couldn't hear it?
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:13 am UTC

People who want to appear in the map of the Otter Lands: I need to know how to paint your domains. Now.
It's funny that BlitzGirl's area looks like a desert. I should have chosen another tone of pink.
Selecting new quote…

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:18 am UTC

ggh wrote:
SBN wrote:
ggh wrote:I thought I would be clever and slide over to using chirp and mustard for all my outside swearing, since my tendency is to swear a lot, and now with the wee one, I don't want to say any bad words.

Wait - how would these sound different? Or is that the joke?
Or, are you saying it would just be enough psychologically for me to know there was a difference even if I couldn't hear it?

Yes. To both.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:45 am UTC

@AluisioASG - treeish Extreme Days!
"It will be retold, will be retold" - indeed, we are retelling it ourselves in so many ways.

@Whizbang - Love the five minute comix!

@mrob27 - I would like to heap infinite praise upon the finitist, but I guess that wouldn't work, would it! :)

@azule - That was seaishly wowtreeishfulsome! (I wonder what something like that, but for answers, would look like!)

BlitzGirl wrote:I would have liked to see a flutterbee twirling through the trees of the Forty's landing spot. :)
There was one... just out of frame. As it was flying into the frame, it became chirpy food.

And that condiment? Chirping mustard, of course. (can I say that on a non-round-numbered post?)

What I would have liked to see more of is danger, risk, and heroism as they rode out the flood in their rafts. That would have been very hairy, and made the ending much more of a satisfying climax.

ggh wrote:In some ways, it's working, but an unfortunate side-effect has been that when I say these words for real, e.g. "Honey, do you want some mustard on your ham?" (yes, my baby likes mustard), I feel like I'm being naughty.
... and what about when their friends say those notty words?

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

the_Dex

Postby the_Dex » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:10 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Alas, I came to this thread hundreds of newpix after the Beginning of Time. As penitence for my lateness and as a demonstration of my devotion I have set out on a quest to read every page of the One True Thread, like the noble Beidah long before me.

Quest progress: 77 out of 223 pages.
The Populated Period of Expansion. NP 156.

I send forth this message now in the fervent hope that I shall encounter it again on my journey, tangled in the thread of Time.

NP 223 out of 1419.

My travels have brought me to the the first post of BlitzGirl, sending forth a message through time to her future self. I will now send forth that message to her future self in the hopes that it creates a Time vortex, with both the OTC and OTT brought back and I then get to experience the rest of the journey as if I hadn't been a Jonny-come-lately.

MUA-HA-HA-HA <cough cough cough>!
embracethehate wrote:"hey, can you-"
"Sorry, can't. Sandcastle."

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:13 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:People who want to appear in the map of the Otter Lands: I need to know how to paint your domains. Now.
It's funny that BlitzGirl's area looks like a desert. I should have chosen another tone of pink.

I don't quite get what you mean by all this, but could you add a reddish-orange stripey circle off to the side, put me in it, and call it "Jupiter"? If not you can just give me some metallic grey spot on the map and call it "Urbana, Illinois."
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:29 am UTC

the_Dex wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Alas, I came to this thread hundreds of newpix after the Beginning of Time. As penitence for my lateness and as a demonstration of my devotion I have set out on a quest to read every page of the One True Thread, like the noble Beidah long before me.

Quest progress: 77 out of 223 pages.
The Populated Period of Expansion. NP 156.

I send forth this message now in the fervent hope that I shall encounter it again on my journey, tangled in the thread of Time.

NP 223 out of 1419.

My travels have brought me to the the first post of BlitzGirl, sending forth a message through time to her future self. I will now send forth that message to her future self in the hopes that it creates a Time vortex, with both the OTC and OTT brought back and I then get to experience the rest of the journey as if I hadn't been a Jonny-come-lately.

:shock: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! it's my past self, emerging from the primordial ooze of the far pastposts, seeking to drag me back into the depths of early Time from which there can be no blitzcape! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Image
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:30 am UTC

ENSONGUINED...

-- posted by newpixbot
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Eternal Density

Magnets.

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:30 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:People who want to appear in the map of the Otter Lands: I need to know how to paint your domains. Now.

I don't quite get what you mean by all this, but could you add a reddish-orange stripey circle off to the side, put me in it, and call it "Jupiter"? If not you can just give me some metallic grey spot on the map and call it "Urbana, Illinois."

I don't understand it either. I don't understand most of what AluisioASG has said lately. He's too smart for me.

ggh

Postby ggh » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:31 am UTC

SBN wrote:
ggh wrote:Wait - how would these sound different? Or is that the joke?

Yes. To both.

Right. Shall do. Occasionally with a small giggle.

ucim wrote:... and what about when their friends say those notty words?

Jose

That might be with a bigger giggle.

If your map has any lakes or streams beside a pine, birch or maple (could be mixed) woods, I'd like a few acres there, please. Maybe some huckleberry bushes in the undergrowth?
Agatha the Awesomeful

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:33 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:

This is what I mean:
Otter Lands.png
IN COLOR!
Selecting new quote…

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:39 am UTC

I may do a LOTR version of the map later. But not now.

BlitzGirl wrote:
the_Dex wrote:My travels have brought me to the the first post of BlitzGirl, sending forth a message through time to her future self. I will now send forth that message to her future self in the hopes that it creates a Time vortex, with both the OTC and OTT brought back and I then get to experience the rest of the journey as if I hadn't been a Jonny-come-lately.

:shock: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! it's my past self, emerging from the primordial ooze of the far pastposts, seeking to drag me back into the depths of early Time from which there can be no blitzcape! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Image

Wouldn't you remember if that had happened?

Eternal Density wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:<snip>

I don't quite get what you mean by all this

I don't understand it either. I don't understand most of what AluisioASG has said lately.

I don't understand most of what I say or do, or even why I exist, either.
I hope to change that, eventually.
Selecting new quote…

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:40 am UTC

mrob27 wrote:A molpier idea I haven't heard in quite a while. Here's one of mine:

Spoiler:

(later I realized this was probably not GLR's idea but I still don't think it was my idea. For background, google "Finitism")

Neat drawring. Drawing is original, if not the concept, yes?

mrob27 wrote:

Bravo. I have my own version of needle_pulled_thing.txt (except it's called OTT.rhtf) and wanted to try a similar project, thanks for taking way too much time so I didn't have to 8-)

Thanks. That was goal, to prevent all of you from wasting your time.....*angel*

mrob27 wrote:
Two xkcd fonts were used.

Source, please? I have Humor Sans, but that's early GLR style, and now way too "sloppy" for xkcd.com/NNN where NNN is greater than about 500...

One is the One True Font. The other I found on XKCDSW. I have Humor Sans, too.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:43 am UTC

ggh wrote:

If your map has any lakes or streams beside a pine, birch or maple (could be mixed) woods, I'd like a few acres there, please. Maybe some huckleberry bushes in the undergrowth?

That sounds about right, but I'd prefer blackberries to huckleberries. And the sky must be Carolina Blue, of course.

mscha wrote:
-- posted by newpixbot

We've only been hearing from newpixbot lately. Hope mscha's ok.

Some Ways to Time

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:45 am UTC

Where...where am I? What dip is it? What mip? I seem to be back in the OTT--at last! I can't even remember how long ago it was that the Outside dragged me away, kicking and screaming (I mean, I was kicking and screaming, not the Outside.) Seems like forever since I've seen your smiling avatars, though I have peeked in here and there when the opportunity presented itself. I know that yappo made me an lmjb smiley without me even asking, which made me so happy I almost cried. (This is true.) I see that you all continue to do wondermous awesomeful stuff, which makes be very happy.

I'm not sure how many pages I'm behind now--30? 40?--and I find myself once more facing the dilemma of whether to just dive into the present, or try a megaketchup, or perhaps a schizoblitz. So many options! Although since it's a hot day at the end of the week and I just had a drink, a minicoma will probably be the first order of business. Then I will arise and see what the OTT muse tells me to do.

Last night I had a dream that I was on my laptop and I went to the OTT map. It had different sorts of icons, and it seemed they would blink when someone came online. Something like that. (See, of course, xkcd 430.) But this I do remember clearly; I remember looking over the map, seeing the happy blinking icons telling me that someone was getting online, and I was so happy to be back with all of you that I gave my laptop a hug. And, as Dave Barry would say, I am not making this up.

And so far it's taken two tries to post this due to another new post. Yay! The OTT is alive and well!
*closes eyes with a big smile on her face*

Edited because I was away so long that weird heretical units showed up in my post, and also because somehow the order of stuff in my post got all cattywampus.
Last edited by lmjb1964 on Wed May 21, 2014 10:18 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:48 am UTC

It's treeish to see you again, lmjb1964! Image

AluisioASG wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
the_Dex wrote:My travels have brought me to the the first post of BlitzGirl, sending forth a message through time to her future self. I will now send forth that message to her future self in the hopes that it creates a Time vortex, with both the OTC and OTT brought back and I then get to experience the rest of the journey as if I hadn't been a Jonny-come-lately.

Wouldn't you remember if that had happened?

Probably not. I think I just gave my past self a concussion in my efforts to break free. I won't remember a thing until now, thank goodness. (The Otter Lands look awesomeful so far!)
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:49 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:48 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

This is what I mean:
A wannabe map

Ah. That makes more sense. If you could, throw in either Jupiter or Urbana, Illinois, whichever fits better.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Eternal Density

non sequitor!

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:52 am UTC

I prefer androids to blackberries.

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:54 am UTC

Epilogue Sequence Update:

The most recent 24hr sequence just recently ended. We now have this sequence: C 3 D 2 9 D 10 10

I've been staring at this for a while now and ... I've got nothin'. It doesn't seem to fit any date or location formats I can think of, but it has to mean something. Any ideas what else it could be?

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:57 am UTC

@mrob: Treeish OTTerOthercomic! (Not to be confused with an OTTercomic, which is an ottification of an xkcd Othercomic, or an OtherOtherComic, which is a non-xkcd comic, or an OtherOTTercomic, which is an ottification of a non-xkcd OtherOtherComic...)

slinches wrote:Epilogue Sequence Update:

The most recent 24hr sequence just recently ended. We now have this sequence: C 3 D 2 9 D 10 10

I've been staring at this for a while now and ... I've got nothin'. It doesn't seem to fit any date or location formats I can think of, but it has to mean something. Any ideas what else it could be?

It's hard to extrapolate from just two letters, but we might be transitioning into a repeat of the second iteration of the sequence. That would be a bummer, since it would mean no "new" rhyme scheme. :(

ETA: Happy 250 posts, slinches!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:00 am UTC

I return sufficiently sober from my operation (which no one apparently noticed I mentioned. Ah well, it wasn't that traumatic). I don't remember the contents of several hours this morning, but when I got home I apparently stuck myself on my bed with my 3DS and started playing animal crossing, 'cause that's the next thing I remember after sitting down in the chair in the surgery. Been steadily feeling better all day, it was touch-and-go for a bit before noon when I threw up at the least bit of motion, but now I'm just fine and happily downing my dinner milkshake.

A late industrial-era city - dark, dingy, mostly brick buildings with the occasional use of oak, brass pipes lining all the houses, jutting steam up into the smoggy sky. Electric lamps dot the streets, casting an eery orange-yellow shadow over the cobblestone streets. The centerpoint of the city, a tall shard of a building rises up in the midst of the sea of buildings, the ones nearby dwarved by its shiny bronze magnificenze. At the top, like Sauron's eye watching the whole city, a large circular clock face stares down at the grimy streets, a pristine white with pure black hands measuring with absolute, perfect precision the Time. It's toll, a wide, low, thundering sound, booms across the city at regular intervals. Everyone here observes the Newpix. Everyone here obeys it. The Newpix-O-Meter v5 quite literally keeps the city ticking.

ETA: went a little overboard on the detail perhaps. But if you could draw in at least some of these things, that'd be so cool.

ETA2: Huh, now I want to draw this. Maybe I'll do a sketch of the city in profile.

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:06 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Spoiler:
@mrob: Treeish OTTerOthercomic! (Not to be confused with an OTTercomic, which is an ottification of an xkcd Othercomic, or an OtherOtherComic, which is a non-xkcd comic, or an OtherOTTercomic, which is an ottification of a non-xkcd OtherOtherComic...)

slinches wrote:Epilogue Sequence Update:

It's hard to extrapolate from just two letters, but we might be transitioning into a repeat of the second iteration of the sequence. That would be a bummer, since it would mean no "new" rhyme scheme. :(

ETA: Happy 250 posts, slinches!

Yep, it's 2 for 2 on repeating the second 24hr sequence so far. :( Although, you could always pick a different starting point for the rhyme scheme if you want to write more awesomeful poetry.

And thanks, I'm almost to a tenth of your post count!

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:08 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:I return sufficiently sober from my operation (which no one apparently noticed I mentioned. Ah well, it wasn't that traumatic).

I did. When you said you wouldn't remember a thing, I almost replied "well, goodbye then".

ChronosDragon wrote:

A late industrial-era city - dark, dingy, mostly brick buildings with the occasional use of oak, brass pipes lining all the houses, jutting steam up into the smoggy sky. Electric lamps dot the streets, casting an eery orange-yellow shadow over the cobblestone streets. The centerpoint of the city, a tall shard of a building rises up in the midst of the sea of buildings, the ones nearby dwarved by its shiny bronze magnificenze. At the top, like Sauron's eye watching the whole city, a large circular clock face stares down at the grimy streets, a pristine white with pure black hands measuring with absolute, perfect precision the Time. It's toll, a wide, low, thundering sound, booms across the city at regular intervals. Everyone here observes the Newpix. Everyone here obeys it. The Newpix-O-Meter v5 quite literally keeps the city ticking.

ETA: went a little overboard on the detail perhaps. But if you could draw in at least some of these things, that'd be so cool.

You're lucky. I decided to go with a more LOTR-esque map, and I found a steampunk brush set for GIMP while looking for the mountains.

ChronosDragon wrote:ETA2: Huh, now I want to draw this. Maybe I'll do a sketch of the city in profile.

Good luck and good hunting.
Selecting new quote…

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:16 am UTC

Aluisio - Ok, since I live in the Lake District, I'd like a flutterbeewingish countryside area with lakes and hills and stuff. Since I'm an otter (I mean, I was one before it got all mainstream), lakes and rivers are a must! Or maybe have it by the coast, since my avatar is a sea otter... Also some larger and more epic mountains would be nice too, not just because the Lake District is pretty much England's only properly mountainous area, but also to represent my musical tastes of heavy metal and epic symphonic stuff. This project looks highly treeish! :D
lmjb - Welcome back, great to see you again! So glad you like your smiley! Image
ChronosDragon - Good to hear your operation went ok. :) Eee, your city sounds amazingly steampunk and wowterful!
BlitzGirl (in the distant past) wrote:Alas, I came to this thread hundreds of newpix after the Beginning of Time. As penitence for my lateness and as a demonstration of my devotion I have set out on a quest to read every page of the One True Thread, like the noble Beidah long before me.

Who is "Beidah" who apparently went "before" BlitzGirl? Does that make Beidah BlitzGirl the First the First?

the_Dex

Postby the_Dex » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:20 am UTC

Hey ho, let's go!
    Hey ho, let's go!
    Hey ho, let's go!
    Hey ho, let's go!

They keep making newpages
    Been doing it for Ages
    I ketchup in slow stages
    The Blitzers Bop.

They're piling up the sand now
    River dialogue, oh wow!
    Through more pages I must plow
    The Blitzers Bop.

Hey ho, let's go!

OTTer's have been through Time
    At this point, I'm behind
    Reach last page and I'll be fine!

Been doing it for Ages.
    I ketchup in slow stages.
    The Blitzers Bop.

River dialogue, oh wow!
    Through more pages I must plow.
    The Blitzers Bop.

Hey ho, let's go!

OTTer's have been through Time
    At this point, I'm behind
    Reach last page and I'll be fine!

Been doing it for Ages.
    I ketchup in slow stages.
    The Blitzers Bop.

River dialogue, oh wow!
    Through more pages I must plow.
    The Blitzers Bop.

Hey ho, let's go!
    Hey ho, let's go!
    Hey ho, let's go!
    Hey ho, let's go!

Many apologies to the Ramones.
embracethehate wrote:"hey, can you-"
"Sorry, can't. Sandcastle."

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:22 am UTC

Treeish ottification, Dex! :)

yappobiscuits wrote:
BlitzGirl (in the distant past) wrote:Alas, I came to this thread hundreds of newpix after the Beginning of Time. As penitence for my lateness and as a demonstration of my devotion I have set out on a quest to read every page of the One True Thread, like the noble Beidah long before me.

Who is "Beidah" who apparently went "before" BlitzGirl? Does that make Beidah BlitzGirl the First the First?

Beidah did what was arguably the first signposted blitz of the thread, back when it was less than a hundred newpages long. However, xe vanished at the end of MarchH, with this last recorded post:

Beidah wrote:So, I don't want to read 3000 posts of this topic. What happened to that cult/religion thing that was happening here?

...which seems counter to the spirit of a BlitzGirl, at least in my opinion.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:25 am UTC

Great one, the_Dex! :mrgreen: Actually surprised that hadn't been ottified before, seems quite an obvious one :P

BlitzGirl - Ah. Aye, if that be the case, I do believe that makes him not worthy of being a true BlitzGirl.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:28 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:I return sufficiently sober from my operation (which no one apparently noticed I mentioned. Ah well, it wasn't that traumatic). I don't remember the contents of several hours this morning, but when I got home I apparently stuck myself on my bed with my 3DS and started playing animal crossing, 'cause that's the next thing I remember after sitting down in the chair in the surgery. Been steadily feeling better all day, it was touch-and-go for a bit before noon when I threw up at the least bit of motion, but now I'm just fine and happily downing my dinner milkshake. <snip>

Never fear, we noticed. :) We just wanted to see how entertaining you would be when you came back to us on painkillers. From that desert-description, quite entertaining!

(My sympathies for the nausea, the same thing happened to me after oral surgery.)
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

map thingy

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:34 am UTC

Aluisio I suppose an Uluru and/or some kangamolpies would fit for me. (and all the AussieOTTers I guess)
ETA close to making my 50th time machine. cookies!!!! (by close I mean I only need another 96 billion cookies...)

ggh

Postby ggh » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:57 am UTC

SBN wrote:
ggh wrote:

That sounds about right, but I'd prefer blackberries to huckleberries. And the sky must be Carolina Blue, of course.

I prefer eating blackberries, but walking through blueberries more. Maybe we can be neighbors? I could eat a few of your blackberries, and you could take the wolpies for walks in my less-prickly woods?

SBN wrote:
mscha wrote:
-- posted by newpixbot

We've only been hearing from newpixbot lately. Hope mscha's ok.

Me too.

---

Yay! there's a June Bug amongst us again! I wish your laptop could hug you back.
Agatha the Awesomeful

AluisioASG

Re: map thingy

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:03 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Aluisio I suppose an Uluru and/or some kangamolpies would fit for me. (and all the AussieOTTers I guess)

There are no kangamolpies in LOTR.
I hate this brushset. Where are my colors?
But don't worry, I'll try a different take on the map later. Also, I found a cactus.

Eternal Density wrote:ETA close to making my 50th time machine. cookies!!!! (by close I mean I only need another 96 billion cookies...)

Yeah! My sig is still valid!
Selecting new quote…

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”