1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
Angelastic
Posts: 700
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:36 am UTC
Location: .at (let's see what's through here!)
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Angelastic » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:59 pm UTC

Some BrOTTish compliments for yappo:

That song was ch*rping brilliant! It's not m*st*rd, not m*st*rd at all!

The Beanie babies are like normal Beanies passed through a shrink ray rather than Beanies with baby proportions. They could fit in Expando's head! Maybe they have cancer… made of antimatter. Maybe Beanette ate too much mustard while pregnant. Maybe the Beanie babies will be worth the price of a castle in a few yips. Maybe they are artificial people conceived in Expando's head, and will soon be made to act out a story with which we are already familiar. Maybe they're not really made of pixels. Maybe I'm a pope. Maybe you should all come up with absurd hypotheses about Beanie babies.
Last edited by Angelastic on Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

User avatar
lmjb1964
Posts: 2461
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:09 pm UTC
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby lmjb1964 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:01 pm UTC

Boy, Expando doesn't do much, does he? Though he did manage to get up off his little seat long enough to go to the wedding. Those Beanies do have a very odd life cycle. :shock:

Treeish ottification, bookbinder! But I'm shocked, shocked, that ED only knows that song because of a TV show. It's a classic piece of music. What are they teaching young people in school these days?

I totally did not catch CD's centenniel word (or BlitzGirl's response to it. You OTTers are so clever.

My doodles are much closer to the people in Balthasar's drawing than to CD's "doodle." (But not Balthasar's pope hat, with its shading and stuff). And that's on a good day.

BlitzGirl wrote:Awesomeful ottification, k.bookbinder! Loved the lyrics.
And I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with a habit of sketching on syllabi, ChronosDragon :wink: Treeish!

In the Builder, I have of the tools all but one:
The ladder, which I shall get in the long run!

Shouldn't that be "in the long rung"?

Speaking of drawing, and writing, there's a game I'd like to play with all y'all, but I have to figure out how and if it would work. Hmm, must ponder.

And yay! Yappo's back, and he wrote his songs, and I can see the whole post is awesomeful and I love that picture! But, since I've waited for it this long, I think I'll save it for when I get back from the gym, since I see there's a whole page of posts after it. :shock: What happened to it being slow because it's a wipend?
BlitzGirl wrote:Awesomeful ottification, k.bookbinder! Loved the lyrics.
And I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with a habit of sketching on syllabi, ChronosDragon :wink: Treeish!

In the Builder, I have of the tools all but one:
The ladder, which I shall get in the long run!
Image

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

User avatar
ChronosDragon
Posts: 1852
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:42 am UTC
Location: [~]

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:04 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:And yay! Yappo's back, and he wrote his songs, and I can see the whole post is awesomeful and I love that picture! But, since I've waited for it this long, I think I'll save it for when I get back from the gym, since I see there's a whole page of posts after it. :shock: What happened to it being slow because it's a wipend?


Sure seems slow when one is actually at the thread...I remember when I would go away for an hour and there would be a whole new page of posts. Now, I'm lucky to see 2 or 3.
Image

User avatar
Philip Thomas
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:47 pm UTC
Location: England

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Philip Thomas » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:27 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:And yay! Yappo's back, and he wrote his songs, and I can see the whole post is awesomeful and I love that picture! But, since I've waited for it this long, I think I'll save it for when I get back from the gym, since I see there's a whole page of posts after it. :shock: What happened to it being slow because it's a wipend?


Sure seems slow when one is actually at the thread...I remember when I would go away for an hour and there would be a whole new page of posts. Now, I'm lucky to see 2 or 3.


That is because you are still wedded to Outside notions of time measurement. In terms of posts per newpix, we are posting much faster than before! :cry:
"There is nothing illegal about being Evil. Some of our best lawyers are Evil" Nicetas, Imperial Commentaries

User avatar
HES
Posts: 4888
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 7:13 pm UTC
Location: England

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HES » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:27 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:And yay! Yappo's back, and he wrote his songs, and I can see the whole post is awesomeful and I love that picture! But, since I've waited for it this long, I think I'll save it for when I get back from the gym, since I see there's a whole page of posts after it. :shock: What happened to it being slow because it's a wipend?


Sure seems slow when one is actually at the thread...I remember when I would go away for an hour and there would be a whole new page of posts. Now, I'm lucky to see 2 or 3.

Yeah, one page of posts in 9 nopix isn't exactly raptorish.
He/Him/His Image

User avatar
mscha
Posts: 6902
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 pm UTC
Location: NL
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:30 pm UTC

CONSTRONGE...
Image

-- posted by newpixbot
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Image
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:
Image
Image

User avatar
Philip Thomas
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:47 pm UTC
Location: England

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Philip Thomas » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:35 pm UTC

HES wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:And yay! Yappo's back, and he wrote his songs, and I can see the whole post is awesomeful and I love that picture! But, since I've waited for it this long, I think I'll save it for when I get back from the gym, since I see there's a whole page of posts after it. :shock: What happened to it being slow because it's a wipend?


Sure seems slow when one is actually at the thread...I remember when I would go away for an hour and there would be a whole new page of posts. Now, I'm lucky to see 2 or 3.

Yeah, one page of posts in 9 nopix isn't exactly raptorish.


True, true, if you must measure in nopix like that. I on the other hand have achieved an infinite increase in posting rate since nopix first came into fashion!

edit: and this post marks my posting coming-of-age. Well, depending on jurisdiction and race....
"There is nothing illegal about being Evil. Some of our best lawyers are Evil" Nicetas, Imperial Commentaries

User avatar
patzer
Posts: 431
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:48 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby patzer » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:40 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Sure seems slow when one is actually at the thread...I remember when I would go away for an hour and there would be a whole new page of posts. Now, I'm lucky to see 2 or 3.

Agreed. We need something to revive the thread, like a game of Monomolpy (though nobody seemed interested last time I suggested it), a collaborative song where everyone sings/writes a small part, a papal decree to communicate with your nearest OTTers and build a collaborative Outside replica of Cuegan's castle, some other OTT-inspired game, a petition to Randall to restart the updates at a rate of something like 1 newframe every 6 newpix to reduce the work needed, recruitment of more OTTers from Outside sources, do more work on the Book of Time/Wait Not In Vain, write a book on The Story of the OTT, etc.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

User avatar
TheMinim
Posts: 939
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:47 pm UTC
Location: In The Present
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby TheMinim » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:41 pm UTC

HES wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:And yay! Yappo's back, and he wrote his songs, and I can see the whole post is awesomeful and I love that picture! But, since I've waited for it this long, I think I'll save it for when I get back from the gym, since I see there's a whole page of posts after it. :shock: What happened to it being slow because it's a wipend?


Sure seems slow when one is actually at the thread...I remember when I would go away for an hour and there would be a whole new page of posts. Now, I'm lucky to see 2 or 3.

Yeah, one page of posts in 9 nopix isn't exactly raptorish.


But yet, slowly but surely, it carries on, and will do for some time yet. Let us not despair for the lack of masses of discussion, for the Blitzers still on their weary quest will find it easier to get to the present, and the bonds between us are forged for a long time yet. With the painful ending of Time, Initiates of Time and Time Waiters alike feel much sorrow and forget their differences. A creative seed has turned into many plants of poems and songs and comics and stories. The true majesty of Time may be lost in time, but what we shared in will remain in our hearts and memories forever on.

Now, I wonder how many people will put a Time religion on the next census...
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

User avatar
Eternal Density
Posts: 5574
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:37 am UTC
Contact:

Molpy Up! Newpix 100

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:44 pm UTC

133.3 sand per milliNewPix. I can almost afford my first ladder. Help!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

User avatar
AluisioASG
Posts: 2337
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:43 am UTC
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby AluisioASG » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:46 pm UTC

Today I dreamed my mother had told me to buy rice and import-grade caches.

Alright, unrelated task-assignment for those who know how to program:
Spoiler:
Write a function in your favorite language that, given another function and an input, creates a cache with its output. Try calculating the 50th number in the Fibonnaci sequence recursively and you'll understand what I want.
Sample target function in C:

Code: Select all

void cached_fib (size_t *data, unsigned long *ret);
void fib (size_t *data, unsigned long *ret) {
   size_t n = *data;
   if (n <= 1) {
      *ret = n;
   } else {
      unsigned long tmp;
      n--; cached_fib(&n, ret);
      n--; cached_fib(&n, &tmp);
      *ret += tmp;
   }
}

Of course, you must post your code here once it's finished.


Oh, and happy Independence Day, in which, exactly 191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

User avatar
TheMinim
Posts: 939
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:47 pm UTC
Location: In The Present
Contact:

Re: Molpy Up! Newpix 100

Postby TheMinim » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:47 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:133.3 sand per milliNewPix. I can almost afford my first ladder. Help!


Wow. I've got 23.2 sand/milliNewpix. Why'd you need help?
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

User avatar
AluisioASG
Posts: 2337
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:43 am UTC
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby AluisioASG » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:54 pm UTC


It keeps growing
I can feel it breathe
I've been trying
To keep it related
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

User avatar
TheMinim
Posts: 939
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:47 pm UTC
Location: In The Present
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby TheMinim » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:57 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
It keeps growing
I can feel it breathe
I've been trying
To keep it related


Very loopish link. (Specifically the first one, I don't watch the videos all that much)
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

User avatar
Philip Thomas
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:47 pm UTC
Location: England

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Philip Thomas » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:57 pm UTC

patzer wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:Sure seems slow when one is actually at the thread...I remember when I would go away for an hour and there would be a whole new page of posts. Now, I'm lucky to see 2 or 3.

Agreed. We need something to revive the thread, like a game of Monomolpy .


I don't know, there has been a distinct increase in post rate just since Chronodragon complained about the slow post rate...on the other hand I like the idea of a game. I'm rather into boardgames in my Outside life and frequent a website called boardgamegeek whose webcommunity is not entirely dissimilar to a pale shadow of the OTT. However, Monomolpy has long gone out of fashion there. The top four games, suitably translated are:
Twilight Meteors, Beanicola, Through the Newpix: A story of the Zanclean Flood, and Newpixbot: Threadblitzer... perhaps we could try playing one of them?
"There is nothing illegal about being Evil. Some of our best lawyers are Evil" Nicetas, Imperial Commentaries

User avatar
cellocgw
Posts: 2044
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:40 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby cellocgw » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:58 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:Today I dreamed my mother had told me to buy rice and import-grade caches.

Alright, unrelated task-assignment for those who know how to program:
Spoiler:
Write a function in your favorite language that, given another function and an input, creates a cache with its output. Try calculating the 50th number in the Fibonnaci sequence recursively and you'll understand what I want.
Sample target function in C:

Code: Select all

void cached_fib (size_t *data, unsigned long *ret);
void fib (size_t *data, unsigned long *ret) {
   size_t n = *data;
   if (n <= 1) {
      *ret = n;
   } else {
      unsigned long tmp;
      n--; cached_fib(&n, ret);
      n--; cached_fib(&n, &tmp);
      *ret += tmp;
   }
}

Of course, you must post your code here once it's finished.



A coding contest? Sure hope that doesn't... cache on!

My favorite snippet of code ever follows. I forget where I first saw it. (yes, it's FORTRAN)


10 STOP
STOP
STOP
! IN CASE STILL SKIDDING
GOTO 10
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

User avatar
TheMinim
Posts: 939
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:47 pm UTC
Location: In The Present
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby TheMinim » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:02 pm UTC

Philip Thomas wrote:
patzer wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:Sure seems slow when one is actually at the thread...I remember when I would go away for an hour and there would be a whole new page of posts. Now, I'm lucky to see 2 or 3.

Agreed. We need something to revive the thread, like a game of Monomolpy .


I don't know, there has been a distinct increase in post rate just since Chronodragon complained about the slow post rate...on the other hand I like the idea of a game. I'm rather into boardgames in my Outside life and frequent a website called boardgamegeek whose webcommunity is not entirely dissimilar to a pale shadow of the OTT. However, Monomolpy has long gone out of fashion there. The top four games, suitably translated are:
Twilight Meteors, Beanicola, Through the Newpix: A story of the Zanclean Flood, and Newpixbot: Threadblitzer... perhaps we could try playing one of them?


Games are games. I don't get which games we're referring to, but I'm happy to play along.
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

User avatar
svenman
Posts: 651
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:09 pm UTC
Location: 680 km NNE of the Château d'If

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby svenman » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:11 pm UTC

Thank you, BlitzGirl, ucim, ZoomanSP, Valarya and everyone else who liked my latest song ottification. In case you read it within a few nopix after I first posted it and you're interested, I've made some minor modifications to the lyrics since.

Happy One Thousandth to ChronosDragon!

Really steakish ottification, k.bookbinder!

And a happy One Thousandth to yappobiscuits too! Love the ottification of Bilbo's birthday party scene and speech. And that's a ch*rping wowterful song! I'd be totally interested to learn more about how you recorded it.
Apart from Forum Games, mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams thanks all of us who helped. Her life is much better now.

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

User avatar
Philip Thomas
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:47 pm UTC
Location: England

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Philip Thomas » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:13 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:
Philip Thomas wrote:
patzer wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:Sure seems slow when one is actually at the thread...I remember when I would go away for an hour and there would be a whole new page of posts. Now, I'm lucky to see 2 or 3.

Agreed. We need something to revive the thread, like a game of Monomolpy .


I don't know, there has been a distinct increase in post rate just since Chronodragon complained about the slow post rate...on the other hand I like the idea of a game. I'm rather into boardgames in my Outside life and frequent a website called boardgamegeek whose webcommunity is not entirely dissimilar to a pale shadow of the OTT. However, Monomolpy has long gone out of fashion there. The top four games, suitably translated are:
Twilight Meteors, Beanicola, Through the Newpix: A story of the Zanclean Flood, and Newpixbot: Threadblitzer... perhaps we could try playing one of them?


Games are games. I don't get which games we're referring to, but I'm happy to play along.


"In a dystopian future (yet still far in the past of the OTC), the OTT has grown to gargantuan proportions and subsumed all other forms of information storage. Heroic blitzers struggle bravely to overcome the evil entities who are blocking the plan to plug the Mediterranean by journeying far into the depths of the OTT to recover confidential and treeish information without being trapped in the hideous cookie factories, never to emerge again."

Blurb for Newpixbot:Threadblitzer.

But I have no idea how one actually goes about playing in the context of a forum thread!
"There is nothing illegal about being Evil. Some of our best lawyers are Evil" Nicetas, Imperial Commentaries

User avatar
BlitzGirl
Posts: 9089
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:44 pm UTC

A game? I love games! Image I'm definitely molpy up for a game!
Treeish ottifications, Jose and HES!

lmjb1964 wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:In the Builder, I have of the tools all but one:
The ladder, which I shall get in the long run!

Shouldn't that be "in the long rung"?
NO. Image

SBN wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:*Talking of "how I made it", I'm considering doing a "making of" video for this, like I did with Molpies, but way more in-depth, going into the orchestrations and doing guitars and things. Would that be of interest to anyone?

You had to ask? Do you not know us at all? Of course we're interested.

Indeed! Yes please!

Edit for mome:
The Beanie Babies were scavenged from Hill People castoffs. The Hill People all look like this.
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:42 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

User avatar
Angelastic
Posts: 700
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:36 am UTC
Location: .at (let's see what's through here!)
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Angelastic » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:51 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:Alright, unrelated task-assignment for those who know how to program:
Spoiler:
Write a function in your favorite language that, given another function and an input, creates a cache with its output. Try calculating the 50th number in the Fibonnaci sequence recursively and you'll understand what I want.
Sample target function in C:

Code: Select all

void cached_fib (size_t *data, unsigned long *ret);
void fib (size_t *data, unsigned long *ret) {
   size_t n = *data;
   if (n <= 1) {
      *ret = n;
   } else {
      unsigned long tmp;
      n--; cached_fib(&n, ret);
      n--; cached_fib(&n, &tmp);
      *ret += tmp;
   }
}

Of course, you must post your code here once it's finished.


I'm not sure what you want exactly; when I read 'given another function and an input, creates a cache with its output.' I assumed you wanted a generic function that would take the other, non-caching, function as a parameter. But in the example, it looks like you'd have a separate cached version for each function, and the original function calls it, and it would have to duplicate the initial if logic from the original function or it would fail for n=2, and what's data and why is it a size_t and why does it have to be a pointer when only the plain old scalar value is read and the pointer is never used as one, or did you think &n would be the same as data even though you copied *data to somewhere else? The more I look at this the more I realise my C is kind of rusty… maybe this isn't even C and I've completely misunderstood, but it sure looks like C what with all those *s and &s and size_ts. Well, anyway, I'd probably just cache the results in whatever implementation of a hash table is available to me, which is likely to be so simple as to not need to be its own function, but if it really needed to be I'd probably pass the cache into it so that it cord be used for other caches as well. Is that what data was supposed to be? Maybe it is and I'm just reading it wrong. Is this a nerd snipe?

Document your ch*rping pseudocode, for m*stard's sake. :P

(No, do it yourself! Okay, pseudo document your ch*rping pseudocode…)
Last edited by Angelastic on Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:53 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

User avatar
Valarya
Posts: 975
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:27 pm UTC
Location: Nashville

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Valarya » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:53 pm UTC

I'll sit here after posting a reply and refresh for 30 minutes and see nothing! But I got away for a few hours, come back, and there's a page of ketchup. I honestly think it's much more relaxing than having pages and pages each dip to read. ;)
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Image

User avatar
Philip Thomas
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:47 pm UTC
Location: England

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Philip Thomas » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:09 pm UTC

Ok, well, maybe we can prepare for the game by separating into teams. Each poster has to choose whether they are a Blitzer or an Evil Entity.

Blitzers must pick a (new) name and explain what blitzing techniques they prefer, whether they are human or newpixbot (in the future, AIs join the struggle for seaishness) or something stranger still, and why they are in favour of plugging the Mediterranean (No repeating reasons given by previous Blitzers!)

Evil Entities must pick a (new) name and explain from what dark source they draw their power, what their ultimate aim is, how they combat blitzers, and why they are against plugging the Mediterranean (No repeating reasons given by previous Evil Entities)

I'll start by becoming an Evil Entity: The Summoners: Drawing their power from the eldritch network of summoning circles throughout the OTT, the Summoners aim ultimately to summon Randall himself. Their preferred technique against blitzers is to summon them to the present. Summoners oppose plugging the Mediterranean because their circles draw power from its waters.
"There is nothing illegal about being Evil. Some of our best lawyers are Evil" Nicetas, Imperial Commentaries

User avatar
HAL9000
Not Red
Posts: 1220
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:33 pm UTC
Location: Jupiter

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HAL9000 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:19 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:I'll sit here after posting a reply and refresh for 30 minutes and see nothing! But I got away for a few hours, come back, and there's a page of ketchup. I honestly think it's much more relaxing than having pages and pages each dip to read. ;)

Yes, yes it is. The time I am able to devote to "Time" has greatly diminished now that the school year has begun, to the point that I'm lucky if I can read two or three pages a day. So I'm getting vague glimpses of the entirety of the thread, but am still sort of capable of participating. But I still find myself left with quite a few questions, such as:

In Sandcastle Builder, the ONGs that the newpixbots are based on are one-per-hour as per real time, yes?
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

User avatar
patzer
Posts: 431
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:48 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby patzer » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:27 pm UTC

Philip Thomas wrote:But I have no idea how one actually goes about playing in the context of a forum thread!


Here's a good example

I don't really understand this Blitzers game- what's the aim of the game? how does a player win? I like the idea though.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

User avatar
BlitzGirl
Posts: 9089
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:30 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:In Sandcastle Builder, the ONGs that the newpixbots are based on are one-per-hour as per real time, yes?

I think (but am not completely sure) the ONGs mimic the way the newpix were originally released, so they're actually every half-nopix up until newpix 241, when the newpix rate changed.

Edit for mome:
These aren't the Beanies' babies. They're Bean's babies.
*cue Ender's Shadow series crossover*
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:44 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

User avatar
Laser Plumb
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:48 pm UTC
Location: Mastic, NY

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Laser Plumb » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:35 pm UTC

Model Tov to yappobiscuits ... 1000 entertaining posts of the highest caliber ... certainly worth de-lurking to say so .... 8-)


oh my !! ChronosDragon too ... !!! .... congrats ... Time has been good to us .... (my ketchup runs backwards, outside world overflows)
Last edited by Laser Plumb on Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:39 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ggh
Posts: 1952
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:45 am UTC
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ggh » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:35 pm UTC

I was just on page 1354, reading a very treeish tale from Neil Boekend. Very dune-leapish. Is it wrong I imagined the minions to be small, yellow and rounded like the ones in Despicable Me?

For the pope: We've seen little bits of specific technology that have somehow survived in Time. I suggest that the Beanies aren't wearing beanies, but in fact, iBeanies, a product that descended from the iPhone and Google Glass. The iBeanies allow them to communicate, and kinda use each other as a wikipedia. Because of this, the Beanie babies are perfectly safe playing ONG their own, as they are tethered by their iBeanies to their loving parents. :)
Last edited by ggh on Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:36 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

User avatar
AluisioASG
Posts: 2337
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:43 am UTC
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby AluisioASG » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:35 pm UTC

On my little coding request:
Spoiler:
Angelastic wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:Alright, unrelated task-assignment for those who know how to program:

I'm not sure what you want exactly; when I read 'given another function and an input, creates a cache with its output.' I assumed you wanted a generic function that would take the other, non-caching, function as a parameter.

If you are using a language which supports that, than sure, that's fine. Or you can use a preprocessor. Any of these is fine as long as the caching logic doesn't have to be duplicated by the programmer.
For the record, I'm using something like this:

Code: Select all

typedef void (*memento_func)(void*, void*);
void memento (memento_func fn, struct memento *cache_head, void *input, size_t input_size, void *output, size_t output_size);
#define MEMENTO(fname, intype, outtype, body) ...18-lines macro...

struct add { int a, b; };
MEMENTO(add, struct add, int, {
// ret declared as int*  ^^^
   *ret = data->a + data->b;
});


Angelastic wrote:But in the example, it looks like you'd have a separate cached version for each function,

Somewhere in that 18-lines macro.

Angelastic wrote:The more I look at this the more I realise my C is kind of rusty…

I think the problem was me giving an example without the full code. Ignore the code. Just do what I asked.

Angelastic wrote:Document your ch*rping pseudocode, for m*stard's sake. :P

Done.
(Line 24 is all you actually need to know.)


I wonder if anyone is going to continue that ottification.

The Drowners aim to keep the Past in the past, using the power of the Tubes to create looping (drowning) and forward (bumping) links that prevent Blitzers from reading posts deemed "unspeakable". The Tubes are sourced on the Mediterranean, so a plugging would greatly diminish their powers.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

User avatar
HAL9000
Not Red
Posts: 1220
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:33 pm UTC
Location: Jupiter

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HAL9000 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:40 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:In Sandcastle Builder, the ONGs that the newpixbots are based on are one-per-hour as per real time, yes?

I think (but am not completely sure) the ONGs mimic the way the newpix were originally released, so they're actually every half-nopix up until newpix 241, when the newpix rate changed.

Oh, okay. I just hit the first half hour mark since I started, and I've figured it out now. It's good that cost for castles goes back down at the newpix. Phew.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

User avatar
ucim
Posts: 6819
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:23 pm UTC
Location: The One True Thread

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ucim » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:47 pm UTC

Philip Thomas wrote:"In a dystopian future (yet still far in the past of the OTC), the OTT has grown to gargantuan proportions and subsumed all other forms of information storage. Heroic blitzers struggle bravely to overcome the evil entities who are blocking the plan to plug the Mediterranean by journeying far into the depths of the OTT to recover confidential and treeish information without being trapped in the hideous cookie factories, never to emerge again."
We should be careful that we don't actually create this dystopian future by playing the game in-thread... as the game itself could grow to gargantuan proportion and subsume all other forms of ottialising.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

User avatar
BlitzGirl
Posts: 9089
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:49 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:I totally did not catch CD's centenniel word (or BlitzGirl's response to it. You OTTers are so clever.

)) - one paren for the original response, and one for the quote in this post.

For mome:
Those aren't Beanie Babies. Those are actually clones of Cuegan, implanted in Beanette by Rosetta's request.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

User avatar
AluisioASG
Posts: 2337
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:43 am UTC
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby AluisioASG » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:49 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
Philip Thomas wrote:"In a dystopian future (yet still far in the past of the OTC), the OTT has grown to gargantuan proportions and subsumed all other forms of information storage. Heroic blitzers struggle bravely to overcome the evil entities who are blocking the plan to plug the Mediterranean by journeying far into the depths of the OTT to recover confidential and treeish information without being trapped in the hideous cookie factories, never to emerge again."

We should be careful that we don't actually create this dystopian future by playing the game in-thread... as the game itself could grow to gargantuan proportion and subsume all other forms of ottialising.

Simple. Keep someone with a chainsaw outside the game.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

User avatar
azule
Saved
Posts: 2132
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:45 pm UTC
Location: The land of the Golden Puppies and Rainbows

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby azule » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:53 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
ggh wrote:Congratulations on your 1000th! I can't wait to see what you do for 1024.

Well, nothing. Since as I'm one of the few OTTers who isn't a mathsy computer/video game geek in the slightest, powers of 2 (I actually had to look up why it was significant) aren't as exciting to me :P

FTFY

yappobiscuits wrote:I'm weird like that. A terrible procrastinator who can never start work but once I do I can't put it down to do anything else...
Weird like a firefox! That's my perfect description, so you must be my brother. :P

To add to the description: ...even to eat, sometimes even drink.
Image

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

User avatar
Angelastic
Posts: 700
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:36 am UTC
Location: .at (let's see what's through here!)
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Angelastic » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:57 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
Angelastic wrote:Document your ch*rping pseudocode, for m*stard's sake. :P

Done.
(Line 24 is all you actually need to know.)

But… that is completely different code, and it's still undocumented. Are you sure you used the right link/replied to the right part of my post with that?

I wonder if Expando will teach the Beanie babies to inflate their heads to normal size. Bean's babies? Ah, is this a representation of the Pythagorean idea of beans being miniature humans?
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

User avatar
BlitzGirl
Posts: 9089
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:03 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
ucim wrote:
Philip Thomas wrote:"In a dystopian future (yet still far in the past of the OTC), the OTT has grown to gargantuan proportions and subsumed all other forms of information storage. Heroic blitzers struggle bravely to overcome the evil entities who are blocking the plan to plug the Mediterranean by journeying far into the depths of the OTT to recover confidential and treeish information without being trapped in the hideous cookie factories, never to emerge again."

We should be careful that we don't actually create this dystopian future by playing the game in-thread... as the game itself could grow to gargantuan proportion and subsume all other forms of ottialising.

Simple. Keep someone with a chainsaw outside the game.

Image Outside?

For mome:
In fact, the whole world of Time is actually a land of giants. Were we to transport there, we all would be the size of the tiny Beanie Babies.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

User avatar
Eternal Density
Posts: 5574
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:37 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Molpy Up! Newpix 100

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:09 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:133.3 sand per milliNewPix. I can almost afford my first ladder. Help!


Wow. I've got 23.2 sand/milliNewpix. Why'd you need help?

It was a "help I'm trapped in the game" kind of thing.

Good to see HAL9000's question got sorted out.

BlitzGirl: I think I implied that there was some reason to get 2 ladders but since the Boost unlocks with just 1, I was mistaken.
Last edited by Eternal Density on Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:12 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

User avatar
Valarya
Posts: 975
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:27 pm UTC
Location: Nashville

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Valarya » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:11 pm UTC

azule wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
ggh wrote:Congratulations on your 1000th! I can't wait to see what you do for 1024.

Well, nothing. Since as I'm one of the few OTTers who isn't a mathsy computer/video game geek in the slightest, powers of 2 (I actually had to look up why it was significant) aren't as exciting to me :P

FTFY

I really wanted to do that, but didn't. :mrgreen:

I like how HAL doesn't have as much time to browse the thread, but plenty of time to play castle builders! :P
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Image

User avatar
HES
Posts: 4888
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 7:13 pm UTC
Location: England

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HES » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:12 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Image Outside?

You're not the only one with a chainsaw you know Image

Image
xkcd.com/564
He/Him/His Image

User avatar
AluisioASG
Posts: 2337
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:43 am UTC
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby AluisioASG » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:15 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
Angelastic wrote:Document your ch*rping pseudocode, for m*stard's sake. :P

Done.
(Line 24 is all you actually need to know.)

But… that is completely different code, and it's still undocumented. Are you sure you used the right link/replied to the right part of my post with that?

I told you to ignore the code.

BlitzGirl wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
ucim wrote:We should be careful that we don't actually create this dystopian future by playing the game in-thread... as the game itself could grow to gargantuan proportion and subsume all other forms of ottialising.

Simple. Keep someone with a chainsaw outside the game.

Image Outside?

Yes. Someone needs to not play the game. Doesn't need to be you.
WHY ARE YOU CRYING? AHHHH STOP IT! MAKE IT STOP!
Image
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 34 guests