1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby SBN » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:06 pm UTC

azule wrote:
SBN wrote:Welcome, Revealer the Recent*

*Yeah, still pending. Who's in charge of these things, anyway?
You could be. Just make sure you get PagePope and decree it as such. :)

But pagepope decrees only last for a page. (Though, Revealer the Recent doesn't seem to be lasting long either, we've had quite a few recent delurkings.) And, yeah, if we apply it retroactively we pretty much held the title at least briefly. (Looks like I held it for 4 posts back on NP24.) Not that anyone would have known that then, due to mod-delay.

So, assuming I can time it right, my decree is to make a new OTTer title, and bestow it. Alternate form, more molpies with captions and text descriptions.
And I hearby decree that the title Revealer the Recent is bestowed on any new OTTer delurking, and held until the next new OTTer delurks.
Also, this is for Yappo:
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

ergman

Postby ergman » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:35 pm UTC

by order of the pope, I bestow upon SBN, the pope, the title of Blessed Momtriarch of the One True Thread, for taking care of everyone with her (you are a her right? I swear someone said something like this before) motherly intuition/spidey sense.

take it or leave it.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

Eternal Density

Okay now it's time to rejig those NL boosts

Postby Eternal Density » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:46 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:Image
Spoiler:
redunboard.JPG
keyboa.JPG
This be treeish!

Oh hey, guineamolp comics to read...
Last edited by Eternal Density on Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:47 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:46 pm UTC

Alternate form yay!
Spoiler:
*meowlpy walks in front of a weatherman's report, across the greenscreen "ocean"*
"The sea is big."
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

Re: Way overdue for coma in my pants

Postby Eternal Density » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:24 pm UTC

waveney wrote:Comparing the new three and RRR - one is Seriouly overpowered, the others underwelming.

All these are assuming one uses Panther salve and that costs 9 Glass blocks each time (spend 10 get 1).

Lucky on its own does not get enough castles to affect the least sigificant digit of castles (Same goes for any sand to castle operation these days - which makes Blitzing pointless anyway now)

RRR on its own still does not get enough to add any castles (and costs 30 Glass) - It should have an Activate/Deactivate like the others.

Catamaran - is very modest, it would affect the castle numbers if you look on the least significant digits on the stats page, but it would not be enough to be notified. Adding RRR to this is still be too low. As for the costs - 100 Blocks per throw - one could probably afford it a couple of times per ONG, or replacing a Wave and a River at the moment about 100th of current castle stock.

Redundant Raptor - is pathetic on its own it would fall below the minimum number to affect the castles, though if you had this and RRR it would just affect the numbers, but only just. (As for the costs - 150 Glass per use for no affect - not worth bothering with)

Let the Cat out of the Bag - this is seriously seriously overpowered - Using that but not the other two would generate at the moment E166 Castles, by the time one could get it, the result is likely to easily break the maximum number stored in Javascript - E308. As for the cost - 80 blocks a throw could be afforded a few times per ONG or replacing a ladder and a bag - at the moment less than 100,000 of current castle stock.

The last one is much much too powerful, the other three not worth bothering with, but cost a lot.

FYI I have less kitty clicks than Ladders (the sand tool I have least of),
Whoops, RRR was meant to have a toggle added to it, but I forgot to finish doing that last nip. Thanks for pointing it out.
Also the design of these boosts was to be cumulative (you get PS and then RRR, then LCB, then Catamaran, and finally RR) so at the time each originally unlocks they should be more effective and become less so over time. At least that was the idea. I didn't take into account that LCB is faaaaaar more powerful due to the different pricing regime for sand tools compared to castle tools. As for RR I overestimated how many redundaclicks you'd have because last time (which was several wips ago) I underestimated it. If I remember correctly.
Anyhow I'm about to push some new numbers, let me know how it looks. Maybe I've overcorrected, but with a few tries we might hit the right spot. (Or you could mess around with the code yourself and make a pull request with the numbers you think will work)
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:33 pm UTC

ergman wrote:by order of the pope, I bestow upon SBN, the pope, the title of Blessed Momtriarch of the One True Thread, for taking care of everyone with her (you are a her right? I swear someone said something like this before) motherly intuition/spidey sense.

take it or leave it.

Her is correct. And thank you.
!!!
Spoiler:
Surprised elemolpy

frame 2964
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time

svenman

Postby svenman » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:38 pm UTC

Time to do a long overdue partial blitzketchup on replies again. By the way, I've given up on keeping my wikifying and my replies coordinated, so I'm triply schizoblitzing: reading the OTT up to one page, wikifying its content up to another and being ketched up with replies to still another page.

In other news: My Randall, the wiki keeps timing out on me tonip. Editing is very steambottlish like that.

NP1508:
ChronosDragon wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:I wonder when you'll hit the 53-bit limit.

After a certain point, you stop caring about the last few digits. So, you divide your number by some factor to get it within the limit, and store the factor.

I guess you're probably already aware of that, but you've basically just described exponential (aka "scientific") notation of large numbers.

As far as programming is concerned, your suggestion therefore pretty much amounts to: convert to floating point.

Still a lot of Sandcastle-Builder-related content which I'm mostly not going into.

Sad poems on NP1509. And treeish Metal Molpies by yappobiscuits!

On NP1510 the sad poetry devolves into silliness molpy molpy molpy grapevine. And there's an equally silly (but nevertheless neat) song ottification by EternalDensity (to be fair, the original song was just as silly). StormAngel makes an animated othercomic manip - is rickrolling an OTT meme now?

Seaish ottification flowchart by mrob27 and wingish OTC frame colouring by BlitzGirl on NP1512.

On NP1514, balthasar_s presents us a OTC-related short film which is totally awesomeful!

Now signing off from my blitzketchup for tonip because I need to molpy down. Looking forward to when I get to ketchup on my replies to NP1519 because I already know there'll be a lot for me to comment on. Saving my song ottification I've been working on for then, too.
They came walking from faraway
Now I'm under their spell
I'd love knowing the stories that they tell...
Apart from Forum Games, mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams thanks all of us who helped. Her life is much better now.

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:04 pm UTC

rONG:

Hi, svenman! Tripleschizoblitzing sounds tricky - hope it's going well for you!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:26 pm UTC

I can feel it flowing...
...but something seems wrong. Hang on.
Spoiler:
A polar bear cub sits in a stream.

frame 3010

Some Ways to Time

Eternal Density

My brain just noticed my coma deficiency :(

Postby Eternal Density » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:32 pm UTC

svenman wrote:NP1508:
ChronosDragon wrote:

After a certain point, you stop caring about the last few digits. So, you divide your number by some factor to get it within the limit, and store the factor.

I guess you're probably already aware of that, but you've basically just described exponential (aka "scientific") notation of large numbers.
As far as programming is concerned, your suggestion therefore pretty much amounts to: convert to floating point.
I almost made the point that CD had basically reinvented floating point numbers, but I forgot at the time and never got around to it. So, thanks :D

also,

Code: Select all

### 1.91
- Messed with new Not lucky Boost numbers Just a bit
- Increased the Countdown time: Flux surge and Imp ninja
- Finished the Run raptor Run toggle, Buffed it some
- Break tags were Added (deScriptions with Buttons in)
- Added a New badge for Very high Blitzing speed
- Changelog is Writ with teTrameter Dactylic

ChronosDragon

Re: My brain just noticed my coma deficiency :(

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:43 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
svenman wrote:NP1508:
ChronosDragon wrote:

I almost made the point that CD had basically reinvented floating point numbers, but I forgot at the time and never got around to it. So, thanks :D

So I did. I'd forgotten that floating-point numbers work basically exactly like that. So that may not have been an original idea, but I thought it was at the time.

Uh oh. Judgement Dip is setting in again.

astrocub

Postby astrocub » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:53 pm UTC

Hi ED, I seem to have a broken Double or Nothing. It shows up in my boosts, but there is no button to click. Reloading the game doesn't lock DoN, and it hasn't been showing up as a boost available for purchase for the past few days. I've tried importing my game into both FF and chrome. Any ideas? Is it permanently locked for me because I did something wrong? I'm paranoid that I'm doing everything wrong in my game :oops:

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:57 pm UTC

Image Hi astrocub! It's treeish to see you!
Sorry you're having problems with DoN. Hopefully ED will fix the mustard for you. :)
Spoiler:
*riverish chirpy suddenly pecks a sparrow-raptor*
"Chirp!"
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

Eternal Density decodes, and is betrayaling she.

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:01 am UTC

This is relevant to StormAngel but the alttext is very relevant to us all:
http://joegp.com/printing-possibilities/
astrocub wrote:Hi ED, I seem to have a broken Double or Nothing. It shows up in my boosts, but there is no button to click. Reloading the game doesn't lock DoN, and it hasn't been showing up as a boost available for purchase for the past few weeks. I've tried importing my game into both FF and chrome. Any ideas? Is it permanently locked for me because I did something wrong? I'm paranoid that I'm doing everything wrong in my game :oops:
Inconceivable!

I'm serious, if the button is missing off Double or Nothing, and it isn't being locked when you load, then somehow the Laws of Javascript are being suspended. Are you sure you're a) not getting any error messages and b) the game is even working At All?
I'm utterly flummoxed by this. Does DoN have any description?

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:07 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:This is relevant to StormAngel but the alttext is very relevant to us all:

I think we all need those. One per OTTer.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

my brain is outpacing my chocolate consumption

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:14 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:This is relevant to StormAngel but the alttext is very relevant to us all:

You should all have an ED printer.

BlitzGirl

Can we convert EDs to Glass Blocks?

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:20 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:

You should all have an ED printer.

Nah, you need an ED printer. That way you can print out another one of yourself each Time one of us has a question.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

astrocub

Postby astrocub » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:28 am UTC

Inconceivable!

I'm serious, if the button is missing off Double or Nothing, and it isn't being locked when you load, then somehow the Laws of Javascript are being suspended. Are you sure you're a) not getting any error messages and b) the game is even working At All?

It's 4 to see all of you again too!
The boost has no description or stats. Game is definitely working correctly, and I'm not noticing any errors. I'm getting redundakitties up the wazoo now thanks to the Redundant Redundance Supply of Redundancy! I just wish I could double my zetas of castles.

Spoiler:
redumbdakitties.jpg

Eternal Density

weird and weirder

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:43 am UTC

astrocub wrote:
Inconceivable!

It's 4 to see all of you again too!
The boost has no description or stats. Game is definitely working correctly, and I'm not noticing any errors. I'm getting redundakitties up the wazoo now thanks to the Redundant Redundance Supply of Redundancy! I just wish I could double my zetas of castles.

Spoiler:
redumbdakitties.jpg
Perhaps you could supply a game export so I can test it?
Spoiler:
spoilered for our protection, of course

astrocub

Postby astrocub » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:59 am UTC

I sent it to you in a message, thanks for your help!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:00 am UTC

rONG:

Feeling a bit steambottlish. I think I might go take a minicoma.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

astrocub

Postby astrocub » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:00 am UTC

Ugh, not the steambottle! I hope all your parasites are benign, Blitzgirl ImageImageImage

And yayy DoN works again! Thanks ED!! Annnnd now I have zero castles, chirpin' Randall mustard.

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:19 am UTC

OK, the Sandcastle Builder OTG got me to read the OTT and post again. I have a lot of ketchup-ing to do, so here's just a quick question... When (and how) do I get glass blocks? :)

Nice to see y'all again, btw! :D
Last edited by BytEfLUSh on Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:24 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

-- Professor Dan, The Man from Earth (paraphrased)

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:20 am UTC

Castle Clicker wrote:Judgement Dip Warning

The countdown is at 2,730NP

err...it was at 100-something earlier. I think it's counting up!?

Eternal Density

so, Django looks pretty treeish

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:25 am UTC

BytEfLUSh wrote:OK, the Sandcastle Builder got me to read the OTT and post again. I have a lot of ketchup-ing to do, so here's just a quick question... When (and how) do I get glass blocks? :)

Nice to see y'all again, btw! :D
They're produced by a Glass Blower, from Glass Chips, which are produced by a Glass Furnace. Glass Furnace is unlocked
Spoiler:
when you get the Glass Factory Badge.
ChronosDragon wrote:
Castle Clicker wrote:Judgement Dip Warning

The countdown is at 2,730NP

err...it was at 100-something earlier. I think it's counting up!?
It's affected by a lot of different things such as number of newpixbots, rate at which newpixbots produce castles, and
Spoiler:
the number of hpt/chronotech/cybernetic boosts you have.

BytEfLUSh

Re: so, Django looks pretty treeish

Postby BytEfLUSh » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:31 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:They're produced by a Glass Blower, from Glass Chips, which are produced by a Glass Furnace.

Ahh... Then all I need is a Glass Blower now, I guess. :) Thanks.

ETA: Umm, if it's not too much to ask, how do I get a Glass Blower?

-- Professor Dan, The Man from Earth (paraphrased)

Eternal Density

Re: so, Django looks pretty treeish

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:44 am UTC

BytEfLUSh wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:They're produced by a Glass Blower, from Glass Chips, which are produced by a Glass Furnace.

Look in Glass Chip Storage. If it's not available there, get more Glass Chips.

preciousidiot

Postby preciousidiot » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:24 am UTC

Page 16. The belief that it will be over in 24 hours is fading. The consensus seems to still be that it will be over by the end of the week at the latest. There is much debate over the meaning, and whether people read too much into everything. My progress through Time is slow but steady, much like Time itself.

Cueball has left Megan to her own devices. It is only a matter of time before construction truly begins.
The Great OTT Blitz of October 2013, started 2013-10-13
40 pages, 4 dips (updating my dips count pre-emptively)
current newpage: 41/1547
current newpix: 118

mrob27

Postby mrob27 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:36 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
BytEfLUSh wrote:
Look in Glass Chip Storage. If it's not available there, get more Glass Chips.
ED sorta ninja'd me on this (I was a read-only OTTer for a while todip) and answered fine, but I wanted to give a more general (and also less spoil-y) answer.

Note that in the first answer, ED said:

Glass Blower, from Glass Chips, which are produced by a Glass Furnace

That means that the progression goes:

Glass Furnace → Glass Chips → Glass Blower

Here's my general-purpose hint: each → means "Wait For It".

I've got another one, but I'll spoil it so you can come back to it later:
Spoiler:
In general, the game is set up so that most of the time, you can just keep doing whatever seems to be the "newest thing", and just keep doing it for a while. Highlight the following for more: In fact you should try everything that's possible within the available resources. What's the most number of fill_in_any_sand_or_castle_tool_here you have you ever tried owning at once? How many can you buy now? Why not find out? (You can always restore from an earlier save).
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:37 am UTC

Look who I've found!
Luckily for me, there are only 97 comics to reverseblitz.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:45 am UTC

Thanks, astrocub! The minicoma helped. :)
Now, if only my roommate and her boyfriend would stop yelling at the television set... Outsiders. Sheesh.

AluisioASG wrote:Look who I've found!

I'm not sure why that foxmolpy wants to eat beesnakes.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

So much for making progress.

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:51 am UTC

Is this a relay? Cos you just started me forwardblitzing.

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:54 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Now, if only my roommate and her boyfriend would stop yelling at the television set...

Cool, interactive TV!

BlitzGirl wrote:

I'm not sure why that foxmolpy wants to eat beesnakes.

Well, I guess we'll have to
Spoiler:
wait for automatic food machines.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:56 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:

I'll probably be blitzing that myself later. Sign me up for the last leg.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

okay back to Django documentation

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:03 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:

I'll probably be blitzing that myself later. Sign me up for the last leg.
Well I'm done now. *passes the baton*
Yeah, the dry Department of Redundancy Department is loud but supersteambottlishly amazing but least cybernetic redundant!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:10 am UTC

New Othercomic is up. And not very random.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

preciousidiot

Postby preciousidiot » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:29 am UTC

peewee_RotA, page 17 wrote:17 pages?

No catching up with this one

*laughs hysterically and pours a coffee*
The Great OTT Blitz of October 2013, started 2013-10-13
40 pages, 4 dips (updating my dips count pre-emptively)
current newpage: 41/1547
current newpix: 118

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:31 am UTC

preciousidiot wrote:

You're gonna need some semencancer with that if you're ever going to survive. :wink:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

Oh yeah I forgot about the othercomic.

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:34 am UTC

OTThercomic is up!

Intrinsically redundant:
Spoiler:
ayn_random.png
ayn_random.png (16.55 KiB) Viewed 12602 times
ayn_redundant.png
ayn_redundant.png (17.56 KiB) Viewed 12602 times

ETA
BlitzGirl wrote:
preciousidiot wrote:

You're gonna need some semencancer with that if you're ever going to survive. :wink:

That's actually incredibly unfunny when you think about it.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:46 am UTC

Awesomeful OTTercomic. :D

(I spy some spelling mustard in the redundant version.)
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”