1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

yappobiscuits

Re: 2 more to go then no more replies for a bit

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:10 pm UTC

azule wrote:I don't think it's Randall's work. There's a few tell-tale signs. If you look at the current frames you will see that some of the Cueganites are a bit fuzzier in their outline (a lighter shade of gray). Light shades of gray in the trees too. While this is imperfect mustard, it's just not something GLR did. The other sign is that the panning was done with pixel precision. No blurry lines due to panning. This absence of mustard was something that GLR didn't do (but would be nice if he learned from it).

Yes, exactly, it's these slight imperfections that make me very much doubt it's GLR. Like ChronosDragon said - anyone fancy checking to see if we've seen these poses of the Cueganites before or if they're newly drawn? And I do also have to wonder how mscha is in on this - he must be, given that newpixbot is posting them. He must at least know where they're coming from.

It's a big ol' mystery. ChronosDragon and Waveney have both claimed they're not involved, and Latent (creator of previous Time After Time series) hasn't been around for a very long time. However, he did set up a dropbox folder that instantly sent his Time After Time newpix to mscha's server.

ETA: Pope! Well then, let's have more speculation on this subject!
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Re: 2 more to go then no more replies for a bit

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:18 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Yes, exactly, it's these slight imperfections that make me very much doubt it's GLR.

Maybe that's exactly what we're supposed to think...
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

mscha

Time After Time

Postby mscha » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:30 am UTC

TITTERONGS...
ImageImage
-- posted by newpixbot

svenman

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby svenman » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:42 am UTC

*wakes up, slightly disorientedly*

*looks around himself* Where am I? This looks like a... basement?

Oh boy. Now I remember. I'd already focused more on my work on the OTW and less on posting to the OTT, and then I was experiencing increasing computer mustard which eventually resulted in me having to buy a new computer. Around the same time, outside developments of a not altogether unpleasant kind led to a realignment of my priorities. Something had to give, and in the result I just wasn't able to continue giving the OTT and OTW the same dedication anymore as I had done during the previous mips.

So yeah, here it is. Any blitzes and ketchups that I still had open are now officially called off and will remain incomplete. I will probably continue to have a look at the OTT and/or OTW every now and then, but can't promise anything.

At any rate, the OTC and this community that developed around it have been a fascinating part of my life for quite a while. Thank you all!

Before I see myself back to the basement, here's something that I wrote in a different forum a little over a year ago, and given that it is still the evening of Boxing Day for many of you, I hope it is still appropriate. Maybe it will interest some of you too.

svenman wrote:[...]I'll start telling you about how we celebrate Christmas in Germany, especially comparing and contrasting with Christmas in America. Of course, there is quite a bit of variation among Christmas traditions in Germany, be it from region to region, between areas or families that are traditionally Protestant or Roman Catholic or just traditions that vary individually from family to family.

The basics, of course, are the same as in the English-speaking world: Christmas is originally a Christian religious holiday, celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ (although the Bible doesn't state at which time of the year it actually was). While there long has been a tradition of giving presents to children at Christmas, this has expanded into a tradition of exchanging presents even among adults during the last century and consequently Christmas has become a huge frenzy of consumerism, like all over the western world. But even for those who have lost touch with or for other reasons do not celebrate the religious aspect of Christmas, it is generally regarded as a very family-oriented holiday which should preferably be celebrated in large family units, bringing together even family members who live apart the rest of the year.

Here in Germany, the presents are traditionally exchanged on Christmas Eve, and that marks the high point of Christmas. Ask any German for the date of Christmas, and (with the possible exception of a few pedants) they will without fail answer "December 24th". The Christmas tree is probably the one part of German Christmas tradition that has made its way most successfully into Christmas customs all over the world. In a traditional setting, the Christmas tree would be put up in the living room and decorated on the 24th by the adults in the family, with the children being forbidden to enter the room (or locked out), but this is not strictly adhered to in most families anymore. According to a widespread tradition, the Christmas tree is maintained in the living room until Epiphany (January 6th), at which date it is taken down and discarded.

The Christmas presents, wrapped in gift paper, are placed under the Christmas tree. The handing out of the presents, die Bescherung, is on the evening of the 24th. The traditionally supposed bringer of the presents varies between different traditions, in Southern Germany it tends to be das Christkind (literally the Christ Child - but strangely, more of an angel-like character separate from the actual Baby Jesus), known in America also as Kriss Kringle. In other parts of Germany the presents are generally brought by der Weihnachtsmann, the German equivalent of Father Christmas or Santa Claus. Of course, nowadays it usually is openly stated that the presents really come from other family members - except maybe if small children are present.

But before that, it is an absolute must that everybody join in singing a couple of Christmas carols together! Among the perennial favourites are Stille Nacht (Silent Night in the original Klin-, uh, German), O Tannenbaum, O du fröhliche, Alle Jahre wieder, Ihr Kinderlein kommet and Kling, Glöckchen, Kling.

Food, of course, is a big issue. Most deeply rooted in tradition, to the point of having become proverbial, is die Weihnachtsgans, the Christmas goose served on Christmas eve. In practice, this is often replaced by a duck or a turkey, or by a roast. However, some families go a different way and make a point of having a Christmas dinner that doesn't mean a lot of work for the family member in charge of food (i. e. traditionally the housewife), at least not on the actual holiday, like Wiener sausages and potato salad.

Baking is also widely done in preparation for Christmas. Small Christmas cookies of several types are an absolute must for every household, with the actual types varying widely from family to family. Larger cakes that are also popular for the Christmas season (and in many families only made at this time of the year) include Christstollen and Linzer Torte.

Christmas is one of the two occasions in the year (the other being Easter) when many only casually religious people go to church who aren't in the habit of doing so regularly otherwise. Some churchgoers choose services on the afternoon or evening of Christmas Eve, some attend midnight mass and others again go to church on Christmas Day, of course also depending on the services held by the local church of the appropriate denomination.

Except for mountain regions, "white Christmas" more often than not remains elusive in Germany, as climate patterns in central Europe often provide for a warm spell in the second half of December. This year it is especially pronounced, with temperatures in the high Celsius teens (that would be the sixties for you Fahrenheit believers out there). But then again, two years ago we had snow for Christmas in huge amounts, and frankly, I prefer spending my holidays not shoveling snow. :)

To conclude, here are a few things which many readers from the English-speaking world may consider familiar parts of their Christmas traditions but which aren't in Germany: Presents in stockings, on the fireplace or otherwise; Santa Claus (or whoever the mythical bringer of presents is) coming through the chimney; holly; mistletoe; kisses under the mistletoe; caroling in the English tradition (i. e. carols sung by groups of children going from house to house - although there is a similar tradition on Epiphany - January 6th - in Catholic regions in Germany); getting drunk on eggnog; and, most definitely, red-nosed reindeer.

If you celebrate Christmas, or happen to celebrate another holiday at this time of the year, I wish you've been and still are having a happy one!
Apart from Forum Games, mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams thanks all of us who helped. Her life is much better now.

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:28 am UTC

mscha wrote:TITTERONGS...
Spoiler:
ImageImage
-- posted by newpixbot

That pose certainly looks familiar...

balthasar_s, I loved your shipment pictures!
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

mscha

Time After Time

Postby mscha » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:30 am UTC

UNDERSONG...
ImageImage
-- posted by newpixbot

MistyCat

Postby MistyCat » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:34 am UTC

It's wrONG not to thank the creator of these Time after Time creatiONGs.

ETA Ninjad, but:
Before my post: Users browsing this forum: MistyCat and 18 guests
After my post: Users browsing this forum: MistyCat and 18 guests

Hmmm
Edited After Editing To Add:
After my Edit: Users browsing this forum: MistyCat and 17 guests
Edited After Editing Edit To Add:
After my Edited Edit: Users browsing this forum: MistyCat and 20 guests
Edited After Editing Edited Edit To Add:
After my Edited Edited Edit: Users browsing this forum: MistyCat and 21 guests
Edited After Editing Edited Edited Edit To Add:
After my Edited Edited Edited Edit: Users browsing this forum: MistyCat, Pfhorrest and 19 guests
Edited After Editing Edited Edited Edited Edit To Add:
After my Edited Edited Edited Edited Edit: Users browsing this forum: MistyCat, Pfhorrest and 21 guests
Edited After Editing Edited Edited Edited Edited Edit To Add:
I'm not going to edit this any more.
Purrr.
MistyCat wrote:Ch*rpedy ch*rp the ch*rpng ch*rp.

Waiting for Lucky

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:43 am UTC

BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:59 am UTC

Maybe we should give up on the whole idea of an internet outside the OTT. 'Show me something other than Wingishness' might just be too mustardey for us to handle.

Eternal Density

So much for that plan.

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:52 am UTC

Back from a lunch with relatives from Sydney: met about half way so about a 2 hour drive each way (slower since my sister drove a bunch and is on her Ls). Saw a lot of moopies and grapevines. (It's good land forccattle and wineries.)

No one seems to have deciphered my hidden messages yet :(Oh and this is yet another example of me seeing the OTTification first.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

mscha

Time After Time

Postby mscha » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:30 am UTC

LIVONGROOM...
ImageImage
-- posted by newpixbot

azule
Saved

This is my last post before future events; me!=Math.wizard

Postby azule » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:16 am UTC

Great USD, balthasar. Great Canther Salve, ucim.

Too bad on the ninja'ing, MistyCat. If you'd like something to do that is sorta blitz-related, try some OTTifying. This page has non-redundant comics to peruse.

Great OdeTiTy, ChrDr. I was on the edge of a good idea for that one, myself. I'm sorta thinking if it was something like "I don't want to miss any sneaky edits". Maybe that doesn't make sense since it's a paper book. But the OTT probably doesn't make sense either. :)

My girlfriend thinks that the "chink"s in the new frame (241) are kinda racist. hah :P

AluisioASG wrote:
ucim wrote:If these frames turn out to not be directly from The GLR, then my next guess would be... who was it that is putting together the pan-viewer?

The guy from whom I stole the thing right above you, in my sig.
Um. You're the creator, Aluisio? But in your sig is my caricature. It's not me. Or is it? You have a talent for confusing. Oh, I see. The creator of the pan-viewer...Time Drags On. Yeah, that is me. But wrong on it's related theory, ucim.

----- ----- ----- ----- -----

You may take it to PMs if you must communicate with me.

Now for a period of silence.

Code: Select all

var ᔪ = 0;

Spoiler:
OTTno.png

Edit: Figured out something Aluisio said. Yay!!
Added spoiler image.

Edit:

Code: Select all

var ᔪ = 0x18;
Last edited by azule on Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:42 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

OrbitalFacePalm9001

Re: Time After Time

Postby OrbitalFacePalm9001 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:18 am UTC

mscha wrote:LIVONGROOM...
ImageImage
-- posted by newpixbot

The Fading: Darkening Style

I have an idea for the name of this arc of TimeAfterTime!

1. After The Second Voldeframe

2. The Darkening(much cooler)
>implying that you can't greentext on xkcd forums

micdi

Postby micdi » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:52 am UTC

Long ago...:

Spoiler:
Smithers wrote:She returns again; does she carry a tiny trebuchet to assault the castle-top castle?

Probably the first time a prediction about the OTC is actually correct! Congratulations to Smithers!

kryton wrote:She has a gun!? Duck Cueball!

Ducks? I heard the Pope likes ducks!

fhorn wrote:SWEET!!!

Shout at it until it stops being sweet!
No seriously, why would you say that like this unless you are scared of it being sweet or allergic to it?

udscbt wrote:I think this starts a new Period. Let's call it the D'aww Period until new information come.

I like that name (much better than the SWEET! period at least ;) )

jjjdavidson wrote:
Shepherdess wrote:I think if someone gave me a tiny trebuchet for my tiny sandcastle, I would marry them on the spot.

Of course, if the water keeps rising, you may need scuba gear to marry them on that spot.

Good catch, but why not? :)

ChronosDragon wrote:I think I found a solution for the its/it's conundrum. Use "It be" and "their" (or one of the other gender-neutral alternatives)!

On a side note, I think cueball's sentiments echo my own exactly, on the topic of the tiny trebuchet.

That be a great idea! They should totally do that!
I actually share megans sentiment even more, I think :)

Jellyfish-derp wrote:
tman2nd wrote:They keep walking up to the water.

They might be going swimming... Again

Read that as "AGAIN... dun-dun-duuuun".

LoneMarauder wrote:Count me among the de-lurkers. Never visited the fora much before this strip. But I'm here to stay now, you sick twisted freaks :twisted:

If you are, that's good, but judging from postcount, you weren't, so that's sad...

mybrainhurts wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:In other news, I decided to give my avatar a hat in honor of my 100th post. It only seemed reasonable, given the number of members of this thread/forum with a prediliction for hats.

Its' just 2 addictive 2 w/stand, i'ts time for me 2, I had 2 have a hat 2!

Oh hat talk again and I still don't have one :( well my fault, but still... well I'll get me one in the new year.

ChronosDragon wrote:Once again, cueball adopts the ambiguously contemplative pose - is he depressed because the sand castle is inevitably doomed? Or is he examining his mighty fine crenelation work? His vacant visage veils the verity of his vigilance.

With that extremely contrived alliterative sentence, I leave for the coma realm. Pray that come lucidity, the sandcastle still stands strong against the tides of time.

1. Great sentence indeed.
2. Again, I read "comma" realm and expected a sentence flooding with commas next, now I am disappointed.

ElWanderer wrote:But what if we had more power?

Yes,YES! using giant robots (or ducks maybe) for building the sandcastle! There are no limits! Also Ducks.

Progress: NewPage 250//Newpix 416
Blitzing the OTT (hibernating).
Sometimes flickering into the Present.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:29 pm UTC

Treeish OTThercomic, ChronosDragon!

I wonder whether Cuegan feel safer again sitting outsidenon-H when it darkens, and if so, whether it's because of the presence of the Forty, or because Lucky is now far away (although hopefully not drowned).
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?

mscha

Time After Time

Postby mscha » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:30 pm UTC

LONGBEINITES...
ImageImage
-- posted by newpixbot

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:45 pm UTC

Wow, it's dark.

Almost as dark as a non-prime-numbered frame.
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:35 pm UTC

Spoilered for annoying animation. :)
Spoiler:

Note also the chirptor leaving the tree. The last four frames are (scaled) from the first four frames of time. Megan matches pretty well, and Cueball's movements also match, but his position does not. He's closer in these frames. A shipper maybe? But alas, not the Great Lord Randall, I have concluded.

I have dubbed the mystery ONGer Süssmayr, in honor of the mysterious and steakish job he did on Mozart's Requiem. Not, however, to dimimsh the equally steakish previous Time After Time frames, (although they were not of mysterious origin)!

Also note the differences in how the redundancy and the exhibit handle transparency. I originally couldn't figure out why my last four frames were not coming through. I'm still not sure, but I hope you can see them all. :)

The following is a redundancy, deposited by the department of redundancy, which itself comes from the department of redundancy department.
Spoiler:
MysteryONGanimation.gif

The foregoing was a redundancy, deposited by the department of redundancy, which itself comes from the department of redundancy department.

edit to fix image (size)
Jose
Last edited by ucim on Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:36 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

mscha

Time After Time

Postby mscha » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:30 pm UTC

EXTENUATONGLY...
ImageImage
-- posted by newpixbot

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:55 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:By the way, ucim, based on the writings of the great Portuguese poet Luís de Camões, I'm temporarily assigning to you the title of Pope of Love. I may eventually write an official statement about this, pending your acceptance of the title. No, I don't think the title suits you (currently), but it suits your current title. Can a title be titled?
Yes, Love certainly is a Holy Contradiction. the quote
Spoiler:
from here
Luís Vaz de Camões
“Love is a fire that burns unseen,
a wound that aches yet isn’t felt,
an always discontent contentment,
a pain that rages without hurting,

a longing for nothing but to long,
a loneliness in the midst of people,
a never feeling pleased when pleased,
a passion that gains when lost in thought.

It’s being enslaved of your own free will;
it’s counting your defeat a victory;
it’s staying loyal to your killer.

But if it’s so self-contradictory,
how can Love, when Love chooses,
bring human hearts into sympathy?”

― Luís Vaz de Camões, Sonetos de Camões
reminds me of something similar, where Picasso defines Art as "A lie that reveals the truth" (or something like that - he said it in Spanish).

So, this title (Pope of Love) could distinguish the Popedom of the Holy Contradiction from the Popedom of the NewPage, and would not apply to me but to the Popedom itself. I'm not sure how it would be employed however, to denote its application to the title and not to the holder.

Glad to see you svenman, and thanks for the notes about Christmas in Germany. Treeish carols you have there! But be honest... on the Epiphany, is it really the reindeer whose noses are red?

Perfect ottification ChronosDragon! I especially like the hovertext. :)

Ahhh azule - 'twas you with the pan-viewer. Steakish - I'm looking forward to more of it. But the mystery ONGs remain a mystery.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:27 pm UTC

ucim wrote:So, this title (Pope of Love) could distinguish the Popedom of the Holy Contradiction from the Popedom of the NewPage, and would not apply to me but to the Popedom itself.

This makes no sense at all. One can't distinguish the Pope from the Popedom for you are the only1 Pope of the Holy Contradiction.

* tries to think contradictorily
But there must be other Popes of the Holy Contradiction, because you are the only Pope of the Holy Contradiction.
Does that make sense?

1 in the history of the Popedom of the Holy Contradiction
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

january1may

Postby january1may » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:55 pm UTC

*bzzt* *bzzt* wait, when did it become the 24th again? *bzzt*

JFOM Blitz Report 5
Progress: NP102/np167

Just as there is discussion in the Present about a possible development in newword indexes, I got to mojacardaverca on NP87 proposing a list of Othercomic references (sorry for anachronistic terminology, I just can't bring myself to blitz the proper way). I don't think anyone ever got up to that; would anyone in the Present (or maybe later) dare to try?

Munroe has an U in it (unless it's a random reference to the fifth American president). But I think I've mentioned that (relatively) common error already.fun

I suppose "ogooglebar" was very hot news way back then :) to me, out of context, it sounds like it refers to the "Gooooogle" logo (of course, it actually was the first OTT use of Swedish; not that anybody noticed). And, IIRC, there will be buckets eventually (though not for a relatively long while).

The OTT would definitely make one hell of a good book (to settle the confusing question of spelling proposed, um, still on NP87). [Coincidentally, what's OTTish for "hell" as used in this context? I don't think "ch*rp" fits the meaning.]

There is a lot of discussion on what are the castles made of (sand, snow and various variations on "some black stuff" are the threeni main theories). There is also a lot of discussion whether the whole thing is simulated and/or auto-generated (some of the explanations involved sound weirdly prophetic; some are just ridiculous).

Snowism? What Snowism? I thought I had a pretty decent knowledge of early OTT heresies, but I've never heard of that one. I suspect it didn't last long :D (for those searching, apparently an alternate name is "Iceology").

Apparently the early OTTers already found ridiculously addicting games (I won't post the link, for the sake of your sanity, but it's on NP89). Fortunately, back in the early OTT, getting stuck elsewhere for more than 1-2 newpix (and we're talking shortpix here - that's before the longpix changeover) meant you missed a good bunch of NewPages, which effectively shut you out of the discussion (for comparison, in the Present and in Times immediately preceding it, one could easily spend two nopix on a puzzle and return back but a few posts later).

Yeah, dinfinity's only OTT post was a bit unlucky. Maybe (it looks weird from a blitzer's perspective - the post is almost at the end of NP89, and there's no *ONGA in the remaining bunch of posts on that page).

And... DIALOGUE!!! I can hardly imagine how it felt to the OTTers of way back then (the *ONG is the first post of NP90, and the entire rest of NP90 takes up less than 1/3 of a shortpix). Snowism and its variations are quickly thrown out (which might explain why it's so obscure). OTOH, it's not immediately obvious that whatever Cueball is swimming in is water (and while it doesn't taste like coffee, it doesn't appear to taste particularly well either, as the OTTers would probably soon find), so theories on what liquid it is promptly emerge (oil, oobleck, and the above-mentioned coffee all already appeared by NP93).

Who the heck that guy quoted on NP93/94 is? I can kind of guess by the comments, but I don't recognize that face entirely (and I don't recognize that name either).

A poster (specifically htom) around the middle of NP94 says it is, guess what, NP94. So if there was a major shift of posts, it's (mainly) gone by then.

Someone finally returns from that addicting game. It had only been five (almost six) NewPages :D

I think I've seen that term for the second or third time already: what's a pigeoncomic? From the context, it seems to be NP90s-ese for Othercomic/*Authorcomic, but any possible derivation passed beside me. :? [PS: I decided to search; it's a random joke from NP63 that every sane blitzer would've forgotten already. Not that the pre-BlitzGirl OTT was particularly blitzer-friendly...]

Compies? On NP96? That could explain why the development of "molpy" was so easy. From the context, whatever Aenea meant by "compies" was something similar to a raptor, which fits the apparent actual meaning (bonus: search Google for "compies" - it apparently knows that word).

Whatever happened at the NP96/97 boundary pretty much proves that the shift between contemporary and modern post position is tinyH at that point: the whole exchange only makes sense if the actual boundary was somewhere between Kieryn's successive posts at 96:38 and 97:2mr, which corresponds to a possible shift of between -1 and +2 (almost certainly between -1 and +1, as the 97:2 post doesn't quite make sense as a page's starting post either). Update: shift is +2 at the start of NP100 (100:2 used to be the first post, according to the later discussion; and yes, all you later-discussioners, you can feel comfortable, you're still on 100 and hadn't moved to 103 or anything).

I've no idea what "caffeinated sperm" is (NP97), but from my vague memory, that should grow into one of the OTT's longest-running random in-jokes. Helper... wait, Helper? maybe that's why he became pope? (though IIRC that's still a good bit in the future).

As far as I know, "Vegan" is only spelled with a capital V if it refers to someone from Vega. I'm surprised nobody noticed it in the context though (they're already discussing Moon and Titan as possible locations - why not Vega?)

Some random "ancient text" stuff in a NP100 post by edo. Looks like a message to some unspecified blitzers (wait, hey, who am I kidding? to BlitzGirl, obviously, they didn't have other blitzers way back then).

KroniK907 finally correctly guessed what was up with Megan and stuff in her mouth. Took only 2 or 3 NewPages (I didn't count specifically).

And I really hope we aren't actually all Randall :shock:

rca almost wrote "mojarcadave", but decided to check at the last moment
fun Fun fact I found out when searching for it: at least six OTT uses of this misspelling are quotes, descriptions, and quotes of descriptions of a single NP81 post... it came up at least three times in blitz reports alone! There are also two entities other than GLR that had been referred to with that spelling; one of them is also spelled correctly with an U, while the other isn't (and no, it wasn't the American president).
ni on second thought, make it "among the main theories"
A we definitely need some way to say "this terminology is anachronistic" that doesn't make it look like it's heresy
H okay, okay, "riverish" - though that makes it sound a lot bigger than it probably is
mr by mr*bdex reference system
There are two films that I particularly like.
One of them is a science-fiction dramatic comedy involving a boy who accidentally travelled in time. Extremely popular when it originally came out in 1985, it retains a major cult following to this day.
The other one, of course, is Back to the Future.

HES

I forgot to post yesterdip

Postby HES » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:35 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:But there must be other Popes of the Holy Contradiction, because you are the only Pope of the Holy Contradiction.
Does that make sense?

The only way to understand the Order of the Holy Contradiction is to not understand it. Since I don't understand it, I don't understand it.

january1may wrote:Compies? On NP96? That could explain why the development of "molpy" was so easy. From the context, whatever Aenea meant by "compies" was something similar to a raptor, which fits the apparent actual meaning (bonus: search Google for "compies" - it apparently knows that word).
As you will soon discover, this is indeed half of the derivation of molpy.

Is that early game you reference the trebuchet hotdog?
He/Him/His Image

mscha

Time After Time

Postby mscha » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:30 pm UTC

KUOMINTONGS...
ImageImage
-- posted by newpixbot

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:33 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:This makes no sense at all.
... which means it must be true. :)
AluisioASG wrote:But there must be other Popes of the Holy Contradiction, because you are the only Pope of the Holy Contradiction.
Does that make sense?
Spoiler:

c'est ne pas une redundakitty.
Spoiler:
French_lolcat40071844ba87836ddc1a978ac3f0bc498738cdf6.jpg
other popes.jpg

Jose

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:49 pm UTC

Aww, it's LaPetite's redundakitty!

Anyway, I've not been around much todip because our power's been out. It's come back on sporadically but never for long. This is the longest it's been working for a while so I've actually managed to get on the interbobs. Let's hope it stays up this time.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:05 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
Spoiler:
AluisioASG wrote:This makes no sense at all.
... which means it must be true. :)
Does that make sense?

Sigged.
Wait on.

Spoiler:

mscha

Time After Time

Postby mscha » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:30 am UTC

WHONGY...
ImageImage
-- posted by newpixbot

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:35 am UTC

@Jose: Treeish pope-manips and French redundakitty! For that I will forgive the horrific "Canther Salve" pun (shouldn't it have been "Canther Thalve"?)
@balthasar_s: Awesomeful - you got your hat! I also like your clock.

micdi wrote:
Spoiler:
I don't remember who (and am too lazy to find the post again after breaking the quote) wrote:Somebody should stat up some NPC sheets for Megan and Cueball. We need to quantify their personalities and building skills. And what better way than rolling 7 x 3d6's? (drop lowest)

erm, use d20s ?
Character sheets would be fun, though. Can we make some of all the characters in the OTC?

Ooh, now that I have Photoshop again I should resume the ID-40 project, clarify the Cueganites a bit.

micdi wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
Spoiler:
Quest progress: 126 out of 243 pages.
Operation Connect Castle. NP 201.

I have lost track of the newpix I have spent traversing the thread of Time. Newpages flow into newpages, an endless pouring of semen-laced coffee into a glass that will not fill. I exist in a world of perpetual deja vu, for I have seen the present while the posts I read codify a long-ago past. I know Megan will return, in Time. With a trebuchet. Yet the posts I read have not witnessed that epoch, and whisper only of trebuchets in their dreams. Beyond this only lies madness. Perhaps I am already mad.

Either way, it is now time for me to conclude this message-in-a-bottle and proceed deeper into this hopelessly tangled thread.
But why do I suddenly crave pancakes?

Yay, pancakes! (of course I should probably say something more important and overall wiser about signposts by my great predecessor, but that seems very important to me right now.)
Pancakes! Image Yum!

january1may wrote:The OTT would definitely make one hell of a good book (to settle the confusing question of spelling proposed, um, still on NP87). [Coincidentally, what's OTTish for "hell" as used in this context? I don't think "ch*rp" fits the meaning.]

Hmm. "Outside," perhaps? The Outside is definitely a possibility. Maybe "basement" but that's lolcat territory, not to mention the OTT's basement isn't very hellish (you get candy thrown at you after all).

svenman wrote:
Spoiler:
*wakes up, slightly disorientedly*

*looks around himself* Where am I? This looks like a... basement?

Oh boy. Now I remember. I'd already focused more on my work on the OTW and less on posting to the OTT, and then I was experiencing increasing computer mustard which eventually resulted in me having to buy a new computer. Around the same time, outside developments of a not altogether unpleasant kind led to a realignment of my priorities. Something had to give, and in the result I just wasn't able to continue giving the OTT and OTW the same dedication anymore as I had done during the previous mips.
So yeah, here it is. Any blitzes and ketchups that I still had open are now officially called off and will remain incomplete. I will probably continue to have a look at the OTT and/or OTW every now and then, but can't promise anything.

At any rate, the OTC and this community that developed around it have been a fascinating part of my life for quite a while. Thank you all!

Awww. :( We'll miss you, glad things are molpish for you on the Outside!
And because it must be done:
Spoiler:

Baobabs, I still have more ketchup to get through! The holidips are confounding my usual otting schedule. To be continued!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

HES

Postby HES » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:40 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:the OTT's basement isn't very hellish (you get candy thrown at you after all).

What are you saying? There is a comfy chair! It's the worst thing ever!
He/Him/His Image

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:42 am UTC

That is true. Image
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:47 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:@Jose: Treeish pope-manips and French redundakitty! For that I will forgive the horrific "Canther Salve" pun (shouldn't it have been "Canther Thalve"?)

Thought of you as we were playing a new game tonight. The game is Faux-cabulary, and one of the cards we had was "The ability to sense a pun before it is made."
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:12 am UTC

SBN wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:@Jose: Treeish pope-manips and French redundakitty! For that I will forgive the horrific "Canther Salve" pun (shouldn't it have been "Canther Thalve"?)

Thought of you as we were playing a new game tonight. The game is Faux-cabulary, and one of the cards we had was "The ability to sense a pun before it is made."

Oooh I like that. :D Prepunition? Punsawvidence? VITSSÅG-voyance?
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:03 am UTC

Yeah! Kitties FTW!

I originally had "Canther Solve" but decided that it gave the Punsaw too much potential energy.

SBN wrote:Thought of you as we were playing a new game tonight. The game is Faux-cabulary, and one of the cards we had was "The ability to sense a pun before it is made."
Well the prepunderance of the evidence is that such Extra-sensory Punception is just a myth. As Don Adams from "Get Smart" would say, "Myth - by that much!". It's just an opun and shut case.

Ok, get the soft pillows.

Jose

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:49 am UTC

Potential energy accrued. Engage punsaw.
VITSSÅGEN, JA!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:07 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Potential energy accrued. Engage punsaw.
Probably the first time I have actually LOLd at an internet posting.

Jose

mscha

Time After Time

Postby mscha » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:30 am UTC

PAPERONGS...
ImageImage
-- posted by newpixbot

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:22 am UTC

Ooh, the view on the other side of the yurt!

ucim wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Potential energy accrued. Engage punsaw.

Probably the first time I have actually LOLd at an internet posting.

Molpish! :mrgreen: I'm glad you enjoyed your punsawing.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Time After Time

Postby mscha » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:30 am UTC

SELONGOR...
ImageImage
-- posted by newpixbot

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:29 am UTC

Peering at molberry bushes, perhaps? Or maybe Cuegan is finally learning mating rituals from the dance of the beesnakes... Image
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”