1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:36 am UTC

ucim wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Depends on how seaish the baobab is, I suppose.

Jumping out of an airplane strapped to a baobab that can do whatever it wants to does not sound like a much better idea. :)

Have faith in the baobab. Maybe it has only the best intentions.

Optional decree:
I don't know. Something about trees?
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:07 am UTC

Thank you all xuys for a particularly treeish ketchup! No special comments, but cake for everyone!
Spoiler:

For decree:
BlitzGirl wrote:

Redundant:
Spoiler:

Ketchup-Tree.jpg

redondant.jpg
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0301

Postby mscha » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:30 am UTC

BINDONGNESSES...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:33 am UTC

I click every single one of Newpixbot's spoilers, because they all say "Wait for it" and I need to know when Newpixbot says "RUN."
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:01 am UTC

Othercomic! It's literally gobbledegook to me. :shock:
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:53 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Othercomic! It's literally gobbledegook to me. :shock:

It's not gobbledygook, it's regular expressions: with gobbledeygook, at least the speaker knows what they're saying.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:40 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:

It's not gobbledygook, it's regular expressions: with gobbledeygook, at least the speaker knows what they're saying.

I note three different spellings of "gobbledygook" in this post. /(ni){3} chu([p|c|br]a){3} (p[i|o]ng){2} ball/.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:41 am UTC

*floats through the floor up from the basement*
Happy newyip everymolpy!
Sorry, I had a busy few wips. I shall now travel back to NP 1685 and ketchup like a madman (or rather: as a madman. Like a madman would imply I am not a madman and thus it would be incorrect).
*dissapears in a small flame, barely scorching the floor*
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

MistyCat

Postby MistyCat » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:12 am UTC

taixzo wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:

I note three different spellings of "gobbledygook" in this post. /(ni){3} chu([p|c|br]a){3} (p[i|o]ng){2} ball/.

I'm not as good at Regex as I am with VB6 search patterns, but I can certainly follow that standard.
Purrr.
MistyCat wrote:Ch*rpedy ch*rp the ch*rpng ch*rp.

Waiting for Lucky

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0302

Postby mscha » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:30 am UTC

HUMDONGERS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:46 am UTC

*reappears in a riverish cloud of snow*
Yaay, Ketchupped again!
Many brillilous posts, but I had a little oops with the ketchup post and accidentally closed it.

ETAP:
As they climb up the mountain they feel the air is getting colder. Not accustomed to the low temperatures they find it interesting and continue. At one point they will see snow, for the first time in their lives. As they have a snowball fight a rumble can be heard. The rumble turns out to be a avalanche.
Thus end the MisteryPix.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

HES

Postby HES » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:14 am UTC

HES's alarm doesn't go off, he misses his exam and fails at life. He never has children, his descendants don't exist and the next 11000 years are dramatically altered. Thus ends Time, before Time.

Thankfully I only missed useful studying time, not an exam, but I'm going to have to sort out alternative de-coma arrangements.

~~ whirly time ripple ~~
Hi Blitzers! I'm on a secret quest to make my post count match the newpage. I say quest, I'm not doing anything I wasn't before. Anywho, I'm currently at
~~ ripply time whirl ~~
Oops, I just posted again. I'd better go before this octopus
~~ whirly time ripple ~~
Last edited by HES on Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:36 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
He/Him/His Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:42 am UTC

Ooooh, it's a snake!

List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

DrSamCarter

Postby DrSamCarter » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:54 am UTC

mscha wrote:Ooooh, it's a snake!
Spoiler:

Or a very large wormolpy.

Or even a legless lizard, which sounds like a euphemism but isn't.

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0303

Postby mscha » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:30 pm UTC

ONGOLDSBY...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:32 pm UTC

HES wrote:HES's alarm doesn't go off, he misses his exam and fails at life. He never has children, his descendants don't exist and the next 11000 years are dramatically altered. Thus ends Time, before Time.

Thankfully I only missed useful studying time, not an exam, but I'm going to have to sort out alternative de-coma arrangements.

How about this?

Spoiler:

I wonder whether Cueball is a very good molpyhunter, or whether the snakes are waiting for it him.

ETA for decree: Wow.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:38 pm UTC

HES wrote:HES's alarm doesn't go off, he misses his exam and fails at life. He never has children, his descendants don't exist and the next 11000 years are dramatically altered. Thus ends Time, before Time.

My daughter has an app on her phone that makes her do math problems to turn off the alarm. (But she still also sometimes asks me to wake her up.) I find that 300 pounds of wolpy will prevent oversleeping quite effectively.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0304

Postby mscha » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:30 pm UTC

INTERCHONGEABLENESSES...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

HES

Postby HES » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:34 pm UTC

Yes newpixbot, the dialogue is interchangeable with that of the OTC. What's old is new again, and is molpish.
He/Him/His Image

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:33 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:And hmm, when Cue is captured by Jabba the Molpysnake, will he be made to wear a revealing gold jockstrap?

As far as we know, he's already naked. I'm not sure how much more revealing a jockstrap would be.

Don't you know? being naked just means not wearing any clothes. Having a little bit of "accentuating" clothes is what makes you "nude" or revealing.
ChronosDragon wrote:
HES wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:I can't decide if I'd like to learn to fly a plane or not. Kind of a moot point, since I don't have the time or money to do it at this point, but I am intrigued by the idea of flying a plane. It's seems a little scary though, because, you know, dragons.

It's super easy, way less effort than driving.

Apart from the landings.

And the takeoffs.

And the dragons.

Well, if it's anything like flying with real flappy wings, it's just a matter of solving a few simple differential equations in your head to get the flight path. And don't worry, we only engage enemy planes...though our definition of "enemy" is kind of dependent on how hungry we are.

and if we have a can opener handy... I pe4rsonally don't peel apart these things by hand any more. it's too uncivilized.

Also, I've always wanted to ride a zeppelin. flying by wing is really tiring, and then I have to eat a mcdonalds to keep my energy up. It would be nice to fly without all that pesky flapping and work.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:38 pm UTC

I love snakes - I have a remote controlled one! :D
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

HES

Postby HES » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:48 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:I love snakes

This does not come as a surprise :wink:

TheMinim wrote:I have a remote controlled one! :D

This is awesome!
He/Him/His Image

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:05 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:And hmm, when Cue is captured by Jabba the Molpysnake, will he be made to wear a revealing gold jockstrap?

As far as we know, he's already naked. I'm not sure how much more revealing a jockstrap would be.

Don't you know? being naked just means not wearing any clothes. Having a little bit of "accentuating" clothes is what makes you "nude" or revealing.
ChronosDragon wrote:
HES wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:I can't decide if I'd like to learn to fly a plane or not. Kind of a moot point, since I don't have the time or money to do it at this point, but I am intrigued by the idea of flying a plane. It's seems a little scary though, because, you know, dragons.

It's super easy, way less effort than driving.

Apart from the landings.

And the takeoffs.

And the dragons.

Well, if it's anything like flying with real flappy wings, it's just a matter of solving a few simple differential equations in your head to get the flight path. And don't worry, we only engage enemy planes...though our definition of "enemy" is kind of dependent on how hungry we are.

and if we have a can opener handy... I pe4rsonally don't peel apart these things by hand any more. it's too uncivilized.

Also, I've always wanted to ride a zeppelin. flying by wing is really tiring, and then I have to eat a mcdonalds to keep my energy up. It would be nice to fly without all that pesky flapping and work.

I suppose you need a time zeppelin.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:12 pm UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:
Spoiler:

I wonder whether Cueball is a very good molpyhunter, or whether the snakes are waiting for it him.

They just want to say hello!
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

chirpingmustard.com status

Postby AluisioASG » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:59 pm UTC

I have regained access to cm.c's management account. And in order to prevent this kind of incident from hampering our operations, I've been thinking on adding some redundancy to the domain's management. Apparently I can assign another administrator, a sysadmin and a funder (Wiktionary says that's a word). Any candidates?
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

january1may

Postby january1may » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:23 pm UTC

Off-topic: over the last few dips, the OTT had been going fast enough that I don't feel like doing a proper ketchup anymore. So from this point on (at least for a while), I would be doing my blitzing without reading the Present very much. Which IIRC is actually the proper way to do it anyway.
With that in mind...

JFOM Blitz Report 8
Progress: NP127/np201

There is some discussion of the tide (well, the lack of it) on NP108. Of course, we now know what's going on :D

I don't see why would Cueball be taking away flags :o from the looks of it, OTTers of NP109 don't either.

Random enigmatic blitzer message again (NP109).

A thought on the problem of blitzing... as I read the OTT of the late shortpix, I can't help but wonder what they would think if/when they get to longpix! Actually makes me sad a bit (especially now on NP112, when there's like only 54 or so shortpix to go).

IIRC, even with singular "they", it's still "they are", not "they is" (still NP112).

CamelCase is definitely written LikeThat and not likeThat. This is the system used on TVTropes, on MeatBallWiki, and on early Wikipedia (um, WikiPedia). Never heard of PascalCase before (if anything, I associate the "likeThat" version with programming variable names, or at least much more so than the other one).

Either I fail Arda-ography, or Mordor's east coast is in Rhundo. Not that anyone cares about such minor and unrelated details :) (Note from NP120: there was, eventually, plenty of discussion of other details of the quote in question - without anyone noticing that particular one!)

It's a bit funny how explainxkcd names for the two main characters caught on so easily. If anything, "how to name the characters" would've been an obvious debate point (and, IIRC, it was further on when other characters were introduced), but these two just got stuck with Cueball and Megan (almost wrote "Cuegan and Megball"... that's still in the future).

TheMulattoMaker appears to be one of the forgotten early blitzers. Apparently not posting signposts of your progress means your achievement is forgotten. Sorry, TMM. I'll remember you. (And you hadn't posted since *March anyway.)

And after a weird discussion of whether a newpix was apparently missing (sounds like it was np199), I leaveONG this blitz because need to go to bed after *midnight. I guess I'll leave the Madness for my next report :shock:

do after some googling, I almost fail it - it's in Khand, but Rhun is close
ONG wait, what, is this the second time I got to post a mysteryONG in a blitz report? :o
RETRACTONG...
There are two films that I particularly like.
One of them is a science-fiction dramatic comedy involving a boy who accidentally travelled in time. Extremely popular when it originally came out in 1985, it retains a major cult following to this day.
The other one, of course, is Back to the Future.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:39 pm UTC

A retracting snake sounds somewhat terrifying. :shock:

january1may wrote:TheMulattoMaker appears to be one of the forgotten early blitzers. Apparently not posting signposts of your progress means your achievement is forgotten. Sorry, TMM. I'll remember you. (And you hadn't posted since *March anyway.)

Ooh, another primordial blitzer? We try not to forget them. In fact, Jose probably has a title prepared...
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:43 pm UTC

january1may wrote:It's a bit funny how explainxkcd names for the two main characters caught on so easily. If anything, "how to name the characters" would've been an obvious debate point (and, IIRC, it was further on when other characters were introduced), but these two just got stuck with Cueball and Megan (almost wrote "Cuegan and Megball"... that's still in the future).

I still maintain that "Cueball" is really Rob. He is referred to as "Rob" many times, which explainxkcd explains away as basically "Rob is another guy who looks and acts exactly like Cueball but only shows up in the comics where GLR has to refer to him by name". If we applied the same heuristics that we did in naming Megan, the guy is obviously Rob.

...Although that would mean that we'd have to replace Cuegan and Megball with Robgan and Megrob. :?
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

HES

Re: chirpingmustard.com status

Postby HES » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:47 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:I have regained access to cm.c's management account. And in order to prevent this kind of incident from hampering our operations, I've been thinking on adding some redundancy to the domain's management. Apparently I can assign another administrator, a sysadmin and a funder (Wiktionary says that's a word). Any candidates?

I'd love to be the sysadmin of something, however

taixzo wrote:If we applied the same heuristics that we did in naming Megan, the guy is obviously Rob.

You mean to say... we should standardise our naming protocols?
He/Him/His Image

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:47 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
january1may wrote:TheMulattoMaker appears to be one of the forgotten early blitzers. Apparently not posting signposts of your progress means your achievement is forgotten. Sorry, TMM. I'll remember you. (And you hadn't posted since *March anyway.)

Ooh, another primordial blitzer? We try not to forget them. In fact, Jose probably has a title prepared...

According to the !OTPV, these are some of his quotes I've found interesting:
TheMulattoMaker wrote:I humbly submit that we begin measuring time in ‘newpix’, equal to thirty standard minutes.

Hm, I thought there would be more of them.
Selecting new quote…

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:20 pm UTC

AluisioASG's avatar wrote:Image

Aww, where did the wolpy go?
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:33 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:
Spoiler:
january1may wrote:It's a bit funny how explainxkcd names for the two main characters caught on so easily. If anything, "how to name the characters" would've been an obvious debate point (and, IIRC, it was further on when other characters were introduced), but these two just got stuck with Cueball and Megan (almost wrote "Cuegan and Megball"... that's still in the future).
I still maintain that "Cueball" is really Rob. He is referred to as "Rob" many times, which explainxkcd explains away as basically "Rob is another guy who looks and acts exactly like Cueball but only shows up in the comics where GLR has to refer to him by name". If we applied the same heuristics that we did in naming Megan, the guy is obviously Rob.

...Although that would mean that we'd have to replace Cuegan and Megball with Robgan and Megrob. :?

I was going to say something, but then I remembered I already posted it:
BlitzGirl, Newpage 1216 wrote:Cueball is called Steve in http://xkcd.com/809/ - that came to mind because I recently read that OtherComic. His last name is Munroe, like GLR, in http://xkcd.com/135/ too. Though Rob is certainly the most frequent name, shows up in 8 or 9 OtherComics, I think.

Also, yappo's "Megan and Cue" would be quite mustarded up if it were "Megan and Rob." :P
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:37 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
AluisioASG's avatar wrote:Image

Aww, where did the wolpy go?

ENHANCE!
SAM_0020.jpg
SAM_0020.jpg (47.23 KiB) Viewed 13219 times
Selecting new quote…

HES

Postby HES » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:43 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Also, yappo's "Megan and Cue" would be quite mustarded up if it were "Megan and Rob." :P

Yes. being such masterful lords of Time, the elder OTTers chose the name so that one day a young prodigy from the north of England could write a song that was without mustard.

(As for the actual argument, I put forward that cueball is a nameless character, "Cueball" is just a title.)
He/Him/His Image

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:47 pm UTC

HES wrote:(As for the actual argument, I put forward that cueball is a nameless character, "Cueball" is just a title.)

Like Cueball the Cueball? Or maybe Cueball Cueball?
Selecting new quote…

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:49 pm UTC

Cueball Cueball cueball Cueball. Cueball cueball Cueball cueball.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

HES

Postby HES » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:50 pm UTC

No, like Cueball nothing, I.e. cueball. The others would be cueball rob, cueball steve, cueball munroe...
He/Him/His Image

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:52 pm UTC

Image Rob, Image Steve, Image Munroe...
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Soup

Postby Soup » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:54 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
HES wrote:(As for the actual argument, I put forward that cueball is a nameless character, "Cueball" is just a title.)

Like Cueball the Cueball? Or maybe Cueball Cueball?

"Cuen, the Ballt" or "Balln, the Cuet?"

I think I vote for the second oneindecisive.

n Name
tTitle
indecisive And I think I will change my mind a prime number of times. :D

ETA: Holy ninja'd!
ETA2:
BlitzGirl wrote:Cueball Cueball bacon Cueball. Cueball bacon Cueball cueball.
Last edited by Soup on Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:56 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting for it...

Go username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, Rakhal, thunk!!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:55 pm UTC

Cue the Soup!

...Ball the Soup?
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”