1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

azule
Saved

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby azule » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:44 pm UTC

Papal Decree: Please visit this thread (Meet Your Friendly Neighborhood OTTer) and have a word or two on the subject.

Also, should it be plural (OTTers)?

Edit: I thank my dead goat. Your sacrifice has not been in vain (N.B.).

Edit: Okay, actually, I deleted the topic pending discussion. I have it saved...or can spoiler it here for review.

Guess what I chose:
Spoiler:
Hello, neighbors. My name is azule (as you can see on your left/right). I am an OTTer (or, member of the Time thread). You can see by my join date (left/right) that I joined well before 1190: "Time" ever started. You can see by my posting history (if you dare) that I posted plenty before hand but dropped out until Time drew me to come back.

I want to explain a few things. I am not exactly xenophobic towards the rest of the forum. Because keeping up with the Time thread meant that you could not set aside time for other threads too, that meant I got used to staying in the one thread. If time permitted and there was reason, I did venture out and make posts.

Seeing as how we've been prodded to come out and play, and we have been told that it might be a self-replicating problem with our image if we don't, I'm officially coming out here and inviting the other OTTers to do so as well. I say officially, because we are out there now, sometimes obviously (using OTT words) and sometimes not.

I will artificially make this shorter than I feel like making it so as to get the next post going with real content. In the meantime I encourage you to read posts like this one from Link (which is what inspired me to make this new topic) to see how we'd like to be viewed (when the OTTish is heavy).

I want to encourage questions of us by the rest of the fora (if there's any left to ask).
Last edited by azule on Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:36 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:01 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:That looks like a failed git merge.

Also, I think I'm actually grateful to the mods for not splitting us long ago. Yes, it's against the forum rules, but… for some of us, it is the real meaning of that browser button shaped as a house.

Finally, given that our talks with the mods seem to have ended in good terms, I'd like people to not try to board the Raftcastle. It's likely sleeping now.

I honestly think that if they had done so, many if not most of us would have been tumbleweeds. I know I only signed up because for once there was a thread here that inspired me enough that I wanted to talk about both the comic and the thread. Otherwise, I'd have just continued lurking occasionally.

Hindsight isn't 20/20. it just seems that way because you know how everything did turn out. But "I/We should have" or, "what might have been" are very tricky to get right, because if you change one thing, you change many things.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

mscha

Time Revisited - np346

Postby mscha » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:10 pm UTC

UNGENTLENESS...

Spoiler:
Wait for it.
AUTOMOME wrote:IN SOVIET RUSSIA, OTC OTTCOLORISES YOU!

-- posted by oldpixbot

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:16 pm UTC

Hey! Cueball's building the metal horns. Image
azule wrote:Papal Decree: Please visit this thread (Meet Your Friendly Neighborhood OTTer) and have a word or two on the subject.

I have to wonder (and I am just wondering) if that thread's really necessary... I'd think if anyone actually was genuinely interested in getting to know us, they'd just come here. And if they aren't interested, they'd probably ignore that thread the same as they ignore this one... but I dunno, what does anyone else think?

I think if any OTTer who so far had only posted in the OTT wanted to introduce themselves to the rest of the fora, the best place for it would just be the existing newbie introductions thread.

Still, that thread made me giggle a bit. I know it's not really meant to be funny but it just reminded me a bit of something like this. :P
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

waveney

Re: Time After Time: t1i-0825

Postby waveney » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:31 pm UTC

mscha wrote:SMATTERONGLY...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

TIC ... TIC ... TIC is a raptor warning signal issued by many passerines (song raptors) that there is some sort of danger around. When raptors make it, young raptors in nests go silent and all raptors in earshot enter a state of alertness. It works across most spieces, an alarm for one is an alarm for all.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:32 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:I have to wonder (and I am just wondering) if that thread's really necessary... I'd think if anyone actually was genuinely interested in getting to know us, they'd just come here. And if they aren't interested, they'd probably ignore that thread the same as they ignore this one... but I dunno, what does anyone else think?

Still, that thread made me giggle a bit. I know it's not really meant to be funny but it just reminded me a bit of something like this. :P
I'm black, you know?
Spoiler:
I'm kidding. Sorry. I mean, I'm a fox. Yep. :P

My initial reaction to your post: Oh.
I guess I'm off the mark. I thought being open and available to the General population might be a good way to "integrate". I mean, we could do it slowly in individual threads...but, haven't we been? It appears to have been having the opposite effect.

Anyways, if I'm wrong...no replies means I can still delete it. Should I? See first post now.
Last edited by azule on Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:38 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ergman

I could really use those OTTscars, man...

Postby ergman » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:37 pm UTC

Spoiler:
What did we talk about before?
Maybe it's so slow because I realized we were never meant to exist?
I don't know why but I'm getting a weird, sad, hollow feeling from the posts.
It feels *ndish. Literally. Like 'this place is ending and it's time to leave'
only it's not. Thanks for everything amazing you do mods, it's not you, I'm just having a weird panic attack. Don't even reply to this anyone, I'm just venting. Which means I'm part of the problem... Might be Time for a vacation to pages in the past I've missed.

Good work on the language stuff! So molpish that we are seemingly making actual progress.

Preview edit: there we go, waveny.
Last edited by ergman on Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:57 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

karhell

Postby karhell » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:39 pm UTC

I'd say give it a xip or two. We'll see what comes from it, and what others think about it (OTTers as well as nOTTers).
Worst case scenario : the thread eventually gets relegated to the second page

Edit : well that was one short lived thread.
Last edited by karhell on Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:51 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:50 pm UTC

Well, worst case would be that we lock that thread, remind you that the forum already has an intro thread and question the wisdom of trying to integrate into a community by creating a little self-contained colonial ... petting zoo.

Mind you, that's incredibly far from an official position. Guys, if you want to integrate, just go post somewhere.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:54 pm UTC

I'm integrating.

\int_a^b \! f(x)\,dx

Done!
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:54 pm UTC

azule wrote:My initial reaction to your post: Oh.
I guess I'm off the mark. I thought being open and available to the General population might be a good way to "integrate". I mean, we could do it slowly in individual threads...but, haven't we been? It appears to have been having the opposite effect.

Anyways, if I'm wrong...no replies means I can still delete it. Should I? See first post now.

Oh, I wasn't intending for you to take action based on my post, I was just musing on a possible viewpoint to see what others thought... but eh, I suppose if you agree with what I said and you want to delete it, s'alright.
ergman wrote:
Spoiler:
What did we talk about before?
Maybe it's so slow because we realized we were never meant to exist?
I don't know why but I'm getting a weird, sad, hollow feeling from the posts.
It feels *ndish. Literally. Like 'this place is ending and it's time to leave'
only it's not. Thanks for everything amazing you do mods, it's not you, I'm just having a weird panic attack. Don't even reply to this anyone, I'm just venting. Which means I'm part of the problem... Might be Time for a vacation to pages in the past I've missed.

Spoiler:
I know you said not to reply, but well, I need to vent too because I feel the same. Ever since hearing the mods aren't particularly happy with the off-topic nature of the thread, even though they've explicitly said they're fine with it now and are going to let it be, I've felt somewhat disinclined to post unless it's something specifically about the comic. And it ends up feeling hollow, as you say. I hope this will pass. OTTscars will definitely help. I'm working on them as we speak.

Azrael wrote:Well, worst case would be that we lock that thread, remind you that the forum already has an intro thread and question the wisdom of trying to integrate into a community by creating a little self-contained colonial ... petting zoo.

Mind you, that's incredibly far from an official position.

Yeah, petting zoo is a good way of putting it, part of why I'm not so sure about the idea. Expanding on my previous points, I think trying to integrate a self-contained community into a larger one by creating just another self-contained thread is a bit Image

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:08 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Sorry, ergman. I want to not reply...but I so agree. It so feels that way, like we're doing something really wrong by continuing to be OTTers....*sad face* Maybe next NP or day....xip.

Thanks for the reply, karhell.

Azrael wrote:Well, worst case would be that we lock that thread, remind you that the forum already has an intro thread and question the wisdom of trying to integrate into a community by creating a little self-contained colonial ... petting zoo.
We do, and I posted there. But what's the point of introducing myself in there again? It's really about introducing the OTT community via the individuals. Worst case was that it was deleted and probably won't return. Oh well.

Azrael wrote:Mind you, that's incredibly far from an official position. Guys, if you want to integrate, just go post somewhere.
We never wanted to integrate, btw. I mean, we post elsewhere but that's not integration. We were encouraged to integrate and we're willing. But who here wanted to spearhead that? *shrug* It's fine. New decree: Let's just integrate via doing what we do where ever we may be. Because that's who we are. But please, explain what you can if you use OTTish.

mscha

Time Revisited - np347

Postby mscha » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:10 pm UTC

MACUNGIE...

Spoiler:
Wait for it.
AUTOMOME wrote:MY MOLPIES JUST SCHIZOBLITZED ME; SHIT WAS SO WOWTERFALLISH

-- posted by oldpixbot

macraw83

Re: Lurk Madness 2014

Postby macraw83 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:15 pm UTC

azule wrote:Funny cONGjecture, macraw!

Thanks, azule! I had a lot of fun making it.

Also, no particular quotes I'm responding to, but RE: OTTer integration into Otherthreads:
Spoiler:
I know that in the early days of Time, I posted a couple other places because I could, and thought I had stuff to add to the conversation. Nowaxips, I still have 300+ NP of unread OTT that I haven't found the time to Blitz, so I definitely don't have time to go around posting elsewhere.

Even beyond that, I generally only find myself posting in extremely-niche places. This is only the second online forum where I have maintained any sort of a sustained presence, with the other being a discussion site for a particular college (American) football team. I have no interest in forum games, and the ICT's don't seem to be particularly interesting most of the time except in cases of a particularly interesting (compared to xkcd normal) OtherComic. Maybe one of these xips I'll find the time to aimlessly wander the fora in search of another place I'd like to try out, but for the time being I'm happy right here.
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

ergman

Postby ergman » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:22 pm UTC

See, I'm probably never going to post outside of the comic section of the forum, but I'll do that the next time there's an interesting othercomic and I have a comment on it. Which happens a lot, so yeah!

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:25 pm UTC

azule wrote:
Spoiler:
Sorry, ergman. I want to not reply...but I so agree. It so feels that way, like we're doing something really wrong by continuing to be OTTers....*sad face* Maybe next NP or day....xip.

Thanks for the reply, karhell.

We do, and I posted there. But what's the point of introducing myself in there again? It's really about introducing the OTT community via the individuals. Worst case was that it was deleted and probably won't return. Oh well.

Azrael wrote:Mind you, that's incredibly far from an official position. Guys, if you want to integrate, just go post somewhere.
We never wanted to integrate, btw. I mean, we post elsewhere but that's not integration. We were encouraged to integrate and we're willing. But who here wanted to spearhead that? *shrug* It's fine. New decree: Let's just integrate via doing what we do where ever we may be. Because that's who we are. But please, explain what you can if you use OTTish.

Not wanting to rain on whatever parade - but I don't think integration is ever necessary. It's a forum. With topics. We contribute to topics we like to contribute to. Is that integration? Are any of the XKCD forum members integrated with the forum? What does that even mean? Unless I am very much mistaken (and I lack the time to do the research), the common ground for being a member of the forum in the first place is the 'love' for XKCD comics. Or at the very least, a (strong) feeling about them. Which might potentially lead to other common ground, leading to other topics, other threads, other parts of the forum.

So, personally, I have only really felt the 'need' (or invitation to post, or 'urge', or time ...) to post in this particular thread. And I have, from time to time tried to temper the outburst of too much in-crowdedness either here or elsewhere.

As such, I do not venture out much to other places around the forums, other than to read occasionally about a particular comic-of-interest. Usually I don't have much to say, so I don't.

As for the outside world of the other forum threads, I could really care less what they think of the fact that I also post here. I am not an OTTer there, but just another contributor. If 'they' (whoever 'they' are) don't like what I have to say, because of my posts here, so be it.

It's not that we're unwanted, per se, but we don't quite fit the bill that other 'Individual Comic Threads' do. Understandable - this is the one comic that went on for 3 months as opposed to being a one-shot, one-time affair.

So keep perspective: we're the odd-one out. 1349 comics are different in nature than ours. It's not that strange that the discussion of the one would be different. Don't be worried if you feel different; we, this place, *is* different. By nature. Because of its origin, it' original heartbeat. And if we hadn't had Time-After-Time, even this thread would have seen falling post-rates. Because it needs a heartbeat. Otherwise it becomes like my 'Memory' Ottification parody. People would lose interest.

Ronald
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

ergman

I'm part if not all of the problem

Postby ergman » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:29 pm UTC

Gah but see!!
I do agree
But the thread is filling
With posts about the thread!
I want molpies, cakes
And nostalgia!

I think I might record my most recent ottification (the snails one). I'm pretty sure I have a terrible singing voice but like, I keep singing it to myself anyway, and as I said when I posted it, that rhyme scheme makes no sense written down.
Last edited by ergman on Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:32 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:32 pm UTC

So......

on-topic,

I want to note some things I like.

The Time frames. I liked the art in the later frames as well as the zoom-in Megan. I like to use it to try and make SVG (line drawings) versions that I can scale. I did it for one my OdeTiTies (where she and Cueball's heads represented Time).

I like how the hat culture flowed into the reveal of the Beanies (and their hat related name). I was always intrigued by the word "toque". Maybe we need synonyms like "toquish" to mean like a Beanie (so as not to be confused with Beanish).

I like/love/infatuated/envious/delirious/proud of all of the OTTifications done here. Even limiting the collection to just those with a direct connection to the OTC, we'd have a hellavu lot of them and they would be wowterful to have. OTTifications that include video, audio, poetry, illustrations, manipulations (visual, data), stories, and even quotes.

I like our words.

Our help of others even when they're redundant. It was great to see. Never saw it elsewhere.

Oh, gz, I don't think I can list everything, but hopefully this is a good start.

<3, azule

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:33 pm UTC

Thanks for that quick blast of nostalgia, azule :)
macraw83 wrote:Even beyond that, I generally only find myself posting in extremely-niche places. This is only the second online forum where I have maintained any sort of a sustained presence, with the other being a discussion site for a particular college (American) football team. I have no interest in forum games, and the ICT's don't seem to be particularly interesting most of the time except in cases of a particularly interesting (compared to xkcd normal) OtherComic. Maybe one of these xips I'll find the time to aimlessly wander the fora in search of another place I'd like to try out, but for the time being I'm happy right here.

Aye, that's like me too. The other forums I frequent are very small compared to this place (usually related to some metal band) and are small enough to have a close-knit single community feel throughout the whole place. Everyone knows everyone, and most people post in every section as there aren't an overwhelming number of sections like there are here. That's just what I'm used to, and what I enjoy and look for in an internet community. I might be wrong, but I don't get much of a close-knit single-community-where-everyone-knows-each-other vibe from the rest of the xkcd fora, which is why the OTT appeals to me a lot more. I tend not to be attracted to big, sprawling, busy internet communities (that are like big cities) but more the quaint little ones (like small villages). I don't think I should be considered weird for preferring that sort of community. It's like, I'm the sort of person who would rather celebrate my birthday by going for drinks with a few best friends, rather than a huge party with everyone I know. S'just who I am. Doesn't mean I'll never poke about outside this thread, but it's why I haven't done much.
ergman wrote:Gah but see!!
I do agree
But the thread is filling
With posts about the thread!
I want molpies, cakes
And nostalgia!

Wait for it! (see: OTTscars)
Last edited by yappobiscuits on Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:34 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ergman

Postby ergman » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:33 pm UTC

Oh hey, I like those things too! I'm gonna go do some of those and come back here with results! :D

HES

Postby HES » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:37 pm UTC

tresoldi wrote: I hope it is not a problem to x-post it here

If course it's not you silly molpy, this is as on-topic as it gets. Treeish to see your still getting somewhere!

I would warn against the use of the word "we" when having OTT/fora discussions. We're not a hive mind. (At least, some of us aren't)
He/Him/His Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:43 pm UTC

Yes we are definitely not a hive-mind, user who is definitely not me in the form of an alternate molpy. :P

ergman

Postby ergman » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:53 pm UTC

This has probably already been done before, but just in case:

We should have a version of scrabble actually. That's definitely something I would love to play with y'all.
Is there a modable scrabble out there?

I'll go remove some 'we's. Can't have people figuring out that we're all Randall.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:57 pm UTC

OTTish scrabble... That would definitely be fun! We've got OTTish C**kie Clicker and we started on an OTTish Monopoly... maybe we could actually finish this one!

ergman

OSHpanishclass

Postby ergman » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:08 pm UTC

Which newpix matches that slope? It's like a gameshow!

Edit to add:
OSHUNG

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:29 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Aye, that's like me too. The other forums I frequent are very small compared to this place (usually related to some metal band) and are small enough to have a close-knit single community feel throughout the whole place. Everyone knows everyone, and most people post in every section as there aren't an overwhelming number of sections like there are here. That's just what I'm used to, and what I enjoy and look for in an internet community. I might be wrong, but I don't get much of a close-knit single-community-where-everyone-knows-each-other vibe from the rest of the xkcd fora, which is why the OTT appeals to me a lot more. I tend not to be attracted to big, sprawling, busy internet communities (that are like big cities) but more the quaint little ones (like small villages). I don't think I should be considered weird for preferring that sort of community. It's like, I'm the sort of person who would rather celebrate my birthday by going for drinks with a few best friends, rather than a huge party with everyone I know. S'just who I am. Doesn't mean I'll never poke about outside this thread, but it's why I haven't done much.

Wow, so, that "city" metaphor... I grew up in a small-to-mediumish sized city of ~120k, which was surrounded by a number of cities from about 50k to 400k (the "Hampton Roads" region of Virginia with Hampton, Norfolk, Va Beach, etc.). I went off to school in Blacksburg (~40k including ~28k students), and really enjoyed the small-town atmosphere. After graduating the only job I found was in Chicago. I made the realization that large cities are great places to visit, but not places where I want to live.

I had never realized it, but I suppose I do a lot of things that way. I don't like massive parties or clubs; my preferred size of a social gathering is about 6-10 people. I like smaller internet communities such as this. When I play games online, I usually try to find a group of friends to play with, instead of randomly matching up with people every time I want a Borderlands (or Halo, or Diablo, or Terraria, or any of my other multiplayer hotdogs) fix

Thanks, yappo, for giving me some probably-not-so-intentional perspective on how I tend to make a lot of life choices :D

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:45 pm UTC

ergman wrote:This has probably already been done before, but just in case:
Spoiler:

We should have a version of scrabble actually. That's definitely something I would love to play with y'all.
Is there a modable scrabble out there?
My records say it hasn't been done before.

I actually started working on a HTML/JS scrabble board long ago. EVERYTHING IS RELATED SO THERE! Well, anyways, it's not done, but I could work on it and ... what would be OTTified? The rules?

ergman wrote:Image
Which newpix matches that slope? It's like a gameshow!
Hahhah! I don't know...but I think this is a funny way to talk about girls. She's definitely a np1248. hehe.

Thanks, ergman, I needed those otties. ^_^

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:54 pm UTC

azule wrote:I actually started working on a HTML/JS scrabble board long ago. EVERYTHING IS RELATED SO THERE! Well, anyways, it's not done, but I could work on it and ... what would be OTTified? The rules?

That and the word list. And maybe the border of the game board would have some OTTish designs.

I'm thinking the word list should be limited to words that have appeared somewhere in the OTT. That'll be fun.

ETA: Thanks to our friends "42guests" and "42 guests", sometimes when I scroll to the bottom I read the "n guests" bit as another delurker.

mscha

Time Revisited - np349

Postby mscha » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:10 pm UTC

LUNGUESCENT...

Spoiler:
Wait for it.
AUTOMOME wrote:BLACK BUN IS SERIOUS HAMPLY

-- posted by oldpixbot

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

I'm terribly late for class.

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:15 pm UTC

AUTOMOME wrote:DR. SHORTDO JOSE, OR HOW I LEARNED TO STOP WORRYING AND LOVE THE SCRUMPTIOUS DONUT

FTFY

AUTOMOME wrote:I DON'T ALWAYS UNBASEMENT, BUT WHEN I DO, I GOAT VATICAN MILLINER'S PERFECT CUSTOMERS

Unbasementing with style. Somehow.

About PMing the mods during the Madness: just send. They can defilter it.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

macraw83

Re: Time Revisited - np349

Postby macraw83 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:18 pm UTC

mscha wrote:LUNGUESCENT...
Spoiler:

Wait for it.
AUTOMOME wrote:BLACK BUN IS SERIOUS HAMPLY

-- posted by oldpixbot

I may have missed being ninja'd on this, but it makes me happy that Oldpixbot has been modified to add an AUTOMOME feature, for two reasons: a) they're insane amounts of fun, and b) it means that either mscha is still lurking in the OTT or Oldpixbot has gained sentience with a primary goal of acceptance through humor. Assuming the first option, come back, mscha, we miss you!

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Re: I'm part if not all of the problem

Postby slinches » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:20 pm UTC

ergman wrote:I think I might record my most recent ottification (the snails one).

I highly approve of this Image

And the written version was awesomeful even if I didn't quite get the rhyme scheme.

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0826

Postby mscha » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:30 pm UTC

RONGONGLY...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

ergman

Postby ergman » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:31 pm UTC

I imagine the difference in OTTish scrabble is that you are allowed to use OTT specific words, and if you use a regular English word you must justify its related-ness, in an accompanying chat or something. Or you could take it from the OTT new word database so only words from the thread can be used...

Heehee, Cueball is great at charades.

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Re: Time After Time: t1i-0826

Postby slinches » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:41 pm UTC

mscha wrote:RONGONGLY...
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

AUTOMOME wrote:THIS IS PHOTOSHOPPED. I CAN TELL BY THE OTTSCARS AND FROM HAVING SEEN A LOT OF BUFFYHATS IN MY DAY.

And we could just use the OTT itself as the scrabble dictionary.

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:22 pm UTC

AUTOMOME may have just broken the 4th wall:

AUTOMOME wrote:THE MOME IS A LIE

mscha

Re: Time Revisited - np349

Postby mscha » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:31 pm UTC

macraw83 wrote:I may have missed being ninja'd on this, but it makes me happy that Oldpixbot has been modified to add an AUTOMOME feature, for two reasons: a) they're insane amounts of fun, and b) it means that either mscha is still lurking in the OTT or Oldpixbot has gained sentience with a primary goal of acceptance through humor. Assuming the first option, come back, mscha, we miss you!

Yup, still (or rather again) here. I'll start my ketchup blitz from NP1731 any newpix now.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:54 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Aye, that's like me too. The other forums I frequent are very small compared to this place (usually related to some metal band) and are small enough to have a close-knit single community feel throughout the whole place. Everyone knows everyone, and most people post in every section as there aren't an overwhelming number of sections like there are here. That's just what I'm used to, and what I enjoy and look for in an internet community. I might be wrong, but I don't get much of a close-knit single-community-where-everyone-knows-each-other vibe from the rest of the xkcd fora, which is why the OTT appeals to me a lot more. I tend not to be attracted to big, sprawling, busy internet communities (that are like big cities) but more the quaint little ones (like small villages). I don't think I should be considered weird for preferring that sort of community. It's like, I'm the sort of person who would rather celebrate my birthday by going for drinks with a few best friends, rather than a huge party with everyone I know. S'just who I am. Doesn't mean I'll never poke about outside this thread, but it's why I haven't done much.

I disagree. Or, rather, I do not have the same experience.
Spoiler:
Now, there's the N&A and the SB crowd. They aren't 1:1 the same, but there's a lot of overlap. The Science and Math forums have some people I honestly haven't interacted with much. LS&R has it's little subgroup, as does DearSB. High Culture has it's own vibe, and then there's FaiD which is it's own little group. And there are people who hang out in one place and never really go anywhere else. General has it's own vibe, sure, but it also pulls from everywhere else on the forum. Really, until a year ago at least, the only place that hasn't really developed it's own feel and community is.. ITC, due to the transient nature of most posters - people post a few times and vanish, or post a few times and then go exploring the rest of the forum and find a home there. So at this point, y'all kinda represent what ICT culture is - because you're the only ones sticking around long enough to make one.

But that's not the majority. You're going to be in a screaming match with someone in N&A about their opinion of X of which you're in complete opposition... and at the same time you're scheduling a time you're both online to play $LatestVideoGame$ in Gaming, or recommending books or movies to each other because you have similar tastes. You're giving advice to someone in LS&R, teaching them how to be in a relationship and they're teaching you to cook in Food.

And FaiD is .. FaiD. Started as a logical outcome of the phrase "Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose", it became it's own thing on it's own feet, and all without the power of editing. It's.. hard to describe FaiD. The closest thing is imagine /b/ except it's a bunch of responsible people doing it. And not anonymous. And that's not right either.

Everything's relative, though. The forum I used to frequent (still do, occasionally) has.. last I checked.. about 15 active posters. This one has a couple hundred.

This forum is still small time, as there are forums out there with thousands of active users. Like I said - it's all relative.

At any rate, while I understand that you don't see the forum as being a close community, I disagree. Once your posts hit triple digits, you're assumed to be sticking around for a while and everyone knows you, at least in so far as they recognize the avatar, even if they haven't personally interacted with you. You've also probably read far more than you've posted, so you've gotten an idea of the general culture of the area you're in - SB requires ..not exactly formal arguments, but it does require that you back your claims with sources whenever possible, and refrain from getting overly emotionally involved in the argument. In contrast, High Culture requires that you refrain from calling people "fartknockers" and... that's about it. And that's mostly due to the gay slur of it. "Fartsucker" is fine as it's unisex and pretty removed from sexual orientation.

Yes, the individual areas have their own subculture, but the forum as a whole has it's own culture that permeates all of it, and that's due to the frequent cross-movement of it's posters. Grabbing a user at more or less random (Sorted members by postcounts, went back a few pages, grabbed the first person with an Last Active date of the past few days) - PM 2Ring. I'll admit that I didn't recognize the name at all, but as soon as I opened the profile, "Oh, that guy. I know him. Or her. I forget. Whatever."

A third of that user's posts are in Science. And yet, the thread they've posted the most in is.. a thread in General.

Steax, a few down.. a quarter of his time in Gaming, and a quarter of that time in the Minecraft thread. Yet the guy's still in General, in Coding, in N&A...

headprogrammingczar - spends a quarter of his time in Gaming, most posts in a Coding's Fleeting Thoughts thread.

The point I'm trying to get at is that it is a lot like a city. Cities have neighborhoods and how things are done in one neighborhood is going to be a little different than in another. But you run in to people at other neighborhoods when you go to the grocery or a sporting event or a concert or whatever. And no, not everyone goes to the same grocery or concert or sport events or park, but provided you move about a little, you're going to be no more than three steps, probably just two or one, from every other active poster here. I'm posting in here, which means you're one step away from .. pretty much everyone in High Culture and General, as those are the places I frequent the most.

Spoilered for rambling like whoa. I don't even remember the point I was trying to get at anymore. At any rate, if all you want is to hang out in here - that's fine. Go nuts. No one's going to stop you.

We just happen to think the rest of the place is pretty swell.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:08 pm UTC

Not to worry, SecondTalon, we're used to whoaish rambles. :wink:

UNGCONCERNED:

I wish I could build sand columns as well as Cueball. Maybe I just need better semencoffeebaconstarsandbabiesonice.
Spoiler:
Uh, Cue...not sure I would get "sleep" from that peculiar pose.

Maugrim! One of our long-lost blitzers! Hello again! Image
It's molpish to see that mscha has returned and hooked up oldpixbot with AUTOMOME...
Steakish OTTercomic, ergman!
I'm with macraw83 when it comes to Time management: I barely have enough free Time to keep up with OTT goings-on as it is! My membership at a few other sites has already suffered because of all the Time I spend here. :D

SBN wrote:I do wish PMs were unfiltered, don't know if they aren't because it is impossible, <snip>

Impossible, I believe. Filters also get applied to the search; you can see this if you search for one of the still-remaining sieves.

tresoldi wrote:(personal note to Randall: if you are reading this, please give us more corpus! even Linear A has more than a thousand specimens! please, please, oh, pretty please!)

Yeah, it would certainly be helpful to have more! Image Wowterful work as always, tresoldi!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

waveney

Postby waveney » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:10 pm UTC

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”