1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri May 16, 2014 1:25 pm UTC

The sea is big. It has too much information.

Optional decree:
Discuss the Othercomic title text!

'TMI' he whispered, gazing into the sea.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ergman

Braces for chocolate pelting

Postby ergman » Fri May 16, 2014 1:32 pm UTC

Spoiler:
image.jpg
'Time', he whispered into the sea. 'Duh', said Megan.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Fri May 16, 2014 1:39 pm UTC

In yappobiscuits' signature I noticed that OTTscars pt.2 is now coming "eventually" and no longer "soon".
But it still says "wait for it".
Maybe we're waiting in wrong direction?!

Also, BONG by ergman:
Spoiler:
ergman wrote:Image
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

addams

Postby addams » Fri May 16, 2014 2:05 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:In yappobiscuits' signature I noticed that OTTscars pt.2 is now coming "eventually" and no longer "soon".

Also, BONG by ergman:
Spoiler:
ergman wrote:Image

Balthasar?

oh, Dear; What if it is True?
What if we have been waiting in the wrong direction?

Must we turn around and start waiting the other way?
Balthasar? Is it a 180 degree turn? A 90?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB_KstBiou4
You talk to the Number Guys. I'll wait.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Fri May 16, 2014 2:06 pm UTC

Belated berryUNG

Re SilentONGs, yeah "Watch This" is usually what is said right before something stupid and/or injurious happens.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

mscha

Time Revisited - np1379

Postby mscha » Fri May 16, 2014 2:10 pm UTC

ZUNGARA...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:I CH*RPING LOVE OTTERS

-- posted by oldpixbot

ergman

Postby ergman » Fri May 16, 2014 2:20 pm UTC

Ooh, OTT time travel leads to The Alt Text.

That was amazing.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Fri May 16, 2014 2:47 pm UTC

addams wrote:Balthasar?

Waiting.
Was always one-dimensional, one-dirctional for me.
Some of us are waiting for part 2 of yappobiscuits's OTTscars. Part 2 of 4.
I think you were nominated for the Clever Molpy Award. We could vote for you. Did you know? Do I remember correctly?
The first part came. A bit later than I expected. "Part 2 will come soon. maybe today maybe tomorrow" I thought.
"coming soon" it said. I was waiting. "coming... eventually" it says now. "eventually" is farther away from now than "soon", right?
So we are waiting and it is getting farther away. What happens if we start waiting the other way?
Degrees? They make sense in at least 2-dimensional world. 2-dimensional time? How do we count 2-dimensional time? Complex numbers? Real time and imaginary time?
2-dimensional time. Once, A thought came to my head,
balthasar_s wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:Yeah, people assume that the thread of Time is a strict progression of posts and newpages, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... Timey wimey... stuff.

Time is 2-dimensional. One's position in time is defined by two coordinates: time and... time. In one you can only go only in one direction, in the other one you can go wherever you want. If it looks as if it's too simple and makes too much sense, it's because it's only a simplification of a more complicated reality.
I don't remember what exactly I meant by "time" then. Not time. Not Time. Something was related with newpage numbers. I don't remember anymore.

Also, kind-of-related: ?emiT ,em ot enod uoy evah tahW

addams wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB_KstBiou4
Thank you for bringing this film here.
Last edited by balthasar_s on Fri May 16, 2014 4:03 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
BSTA
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy

HES

Postby HES » Fri May 16, 2014 3:40 pm UTC

Time: Molpies Included.
He/Him/His Image

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Fri May 16, 2014 3:41 pm UTC

waveney wrote:the locals

I wonder who those are.

waveney wrote:can attack dragons with a Hamply

What? This ain't a elemolpies and mousies situation!

waveney wrote:and worst of all bad puns.

Wasn't aware The Pink was one of us.

Flado!!!!!! wrote:

Code: Select all

Molpy.DefineBoosts/Molpy.GetBlackprintPages@http://castle.chirpingmustard.com/boosts.js?v=1:4031
Molpy.DefineBoosts/Molpy.BlackprintReport@http://castle.chirpingmustard.com/boosts.js?v=1:4021
Molpy.DefineGUI/Molpy.PaintStats@http://castle.chirpingmustard.com/gui.js?v=1:1515
Molpy.DefineGUI/Molpy.Draw@http://castle.chirpingmustard.com/gui.js?v=1:1453
Molpy.Up/Molpy.Loopist@http://castle.chirpingmustard.com/castle.js?v=1:3298
Molpy.Up/Molpy.Wake@http://castle.chirpingmustard.com/castle.js?v=1:2690
window.onload@http://castle.chirpingmustard.com/castle.js?v=1:3328

Is this in the error message? Wow, a backtrace.

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:New Other Comic is up. This is RELATED somehow I'm sure. Hmmm... let's think - TMI = too much information according to my Google Fu (although it could mean, amongst other things, Three Mile Island). We recently had a brief discussion about certain parts of the human anatomy and related medical procedures here in the OTT. I guess that probably falls under "TMI". Also, the first word is pretty steambottlish :wink:

It wasn't because I didn't know enough…

The Pink wrote:WATCH THIS! does not sound promising...

Another dunejump.

balthasar_s wrote:I think you were nominated for the Clever Molpy Award. We could vote for you. Did you know? Do I remember correctly?

I got that one. But there was also the Silly Molpy Award which, given the contestants, would be better named Cryptic Molpy Award.

Oh. I got that one too.
Banach–Tarski anyone?

There'll be some changes in my scripts.

The Blitzer Tracker script as it is now will cease to exist. Only half of the reported data is being used (namely, the check-in system) and the other half is utterly broken; I mean, ChronosDragon's been on NP1599 for ages, I just reset balthasar_s's who was in NP69 and I myself am on NP1776!

I'm leaning on using Firebase to replace the current database for the OTTer Map. As such, the (unmaintained) Cake Time database is also going to disappear.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Fri May 16, 2014 4:17 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:Another dunejump.

But in this case it would be a doomjump.

AluisioASG wrote:I just reset balthasar_s's who was in NP69
And this also reset my name from balthablood back to balthasar_s.
mrob27 wrote:It doesn't report your movement if you jump more than 5 pages ahead of where you were.
And sometimes I ws reading the OTT on anotherbrowser. And when I got back to the first one it was more than 5 pages. I assumed it would start reporting again after reading some newpages the new past.
BSTA

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-1084

Postby mscha » Fri May 16, 2014 4:30 pm UTC

TWATTLONGS...
Spoiler:
LOOK OUT!
-- posted by newpixbot

mscha

Time Revisited - np1382

Postby mscha » Fri May 16, 2014 5:10 pm UTC

HAMHUNG...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:I'M IN UR RABTOR, THWAPPING UR WIPS

-- posted by oldpixbot

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Fri May 16, 2014 5:22 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Saturn is (from Earth's perspective) getting very close to the SkyCircle.
Today's Oops, yesterdip's APOD is related (and neat!)

lmjb1964 wrote:
BlueCrab wrote:Hey, I thought I saw a GingerCat! Or did I?
You did! You did taw a GingerCat! BTW, BlueCrab, I always enjoy the views into how your brain works.
:D Thanks! Yeah, the inside of my head can be a pretty Neat place as long as you can avoid the trap doors to the basement. And the spiders. And the trapdoor spiders... That link goes to an article about spiders, by the way. Nothing amusing, no alternate meaning, just the Wikipedia article about trapdoor spiders. If you don't like spiders, I suggest you don't follow the link.

Referring to Aluisio's ghastly reply to my confusion over Cueball seemingly peeing over the ledge,
lmjb wrote:When I read Aluisio's post, I figured that was some sci-fi reference I didn't get, so I just moved on. Why you saying "STEAMBOTTLE" made me look instead of NOT look, I don't know.
See, this is why I put the boring disclaimer on the link just above: because we're so intensely curious that we'll willingly injure ourselves on the off-chance that we might learn something... Aluisio, I can't thank you enough - the OTT can't thank you enough - for not putting an image in your reply. You are a gentlexer and a true Dragon.

Also referring to my unfortunate acquaintance (he's my best friend's original wife's ex-husband)
ggh wrote:Bwahaha! Wait. How'd it get put back?
Carefully, I assume. ;) I don't remember if he said, actually, or maybe I was distracted by the yards and yards. I suppose they'd coil everything back up and tuck it in?
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

HES

m dot

Postby HES » Fri May 16, 2014 5:27 pm UTC

As an impulsive link-clicker, may I suggest that warnings go before the link? Thankfully I'm not that scared of HOLY CH*RP IT'S MOVING AT ME KILL IT WITH FIRE.
He/Him/His Image

moody7277

Re: Time Revisited - np1382

Postby moody7277 » Fri May 16, 2014 6:02 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Spoiler:
HAMHUNG...
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:I'M IN UR RABTOR, THWAPPING UR WIPS

-- posted by oldpixbot

Ahh...tie-dye OTTcolorization. IIRC, this was also the era for the flashy gif of epilepticness. If oldpixbot decides to dredge up that, it is the end of all of us.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Fri May 16, 2014 6:14 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:
addams wrote:Balthasar?

Waiting.
Was always one-dimensional, one-dirctional for me.

I thought the same but then I realized that waiting in the wrong direction is an actual thing!
When you're waiting for a bus, tram, subway or train, it's really important to wait in the right direction or you get to completely different place! Therefore, if we were waiting for it in the wrong direction, it's possible that we shouldn't get to Château d'If but somewhere else. :shock:
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri May 16, 2014 6:50 pm UTC

ggh wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:@ ggh I'd like a magnet, although I have no idea what to send back. All my Time related stuff is digital.
I'll probably come up with something though. Hmm, what's your tshirt size? I found me a company that mumble mumble mumble.
I'll send ya the address on PM so it isn't spambottable.
There's definitely no need to send anything back, though I admit I think it would be fun to receive an envelope or two from far-flung places.

I would love to send OTTers stuff. You'd just be the first.

BlitzGirl wrote:WATCH THIS! does not sound promising...

It isn't as dangerous as "Hold my beer and watch this" but it isn't much better. Neither are suitable for use near lethal radiation.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri May 16, 2014 7:14 pm UTC

SBN wrote:Life-m*stard level holding steady. (Work-m*stard level expected to be high todip, I've got to run a 5 longpix meeting this evening.)
MSWFP was successfully retrieved. I took middle-sized wolpy with me to the airport, and she leaned on him adoringly all the way home.

Thank you for this visual! I don't even need a picture, it's still d'aww.

M*stard is steambottle. :( Hang in there!

ggh wrote:Ninja'd on the last frame, but leaving it anyways.
UNGdulating grasses:
twitchUNG.gif

Aw, glad you and MSW got MSWFP back, SBN.
Hmm, seems I should go all the way...:
OMG, :D 4 U & MSW that MSWFP's not AWOL, SBN!

LOL! (oops, how did azule sneak in here? :wink: )

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:
mscha wrote:OVERONGINEERED...

It looks like the wheel-device-thing might well be newpixbot. I'll guess we'll just have to...
Spoiler:
Wait for it (I wonder, is that the first time I've actually said that in context?)

At least you didn't leave an empty spoiler. By the way, where is Ms. Minim? And Corinne? Maybe this will bring them around:
Spoiler:

Ha!

NoMouse wrote:So... 'Three Mile Island', he whispered, gazing into the [blue glowing] sea.
That sounds like RELATED to the SilentONGs.

:D

addams wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB_KstBiou4

Whoa. That movie is baobabish.

Congrats on 5700!

ergman wrote:Ooh, OTT time travel leads to The Alt Text.

That was amazing.

That was amazing! Glad you mentioned it. I don't always click on the Time Travel. (Probably shouldn't admit that.)

And I'd forgotten about your DONG gif. That was treeish.

AluisioASG wrote:There'll be some changes in my scripts.

The Blitzer Tracker script as it is now will cease to exist. Only half of the reported data is being used (namely, the check-in system) and the other half is utterly broken; I mean, ChronosDragon's been on NP1599 for ages, I just reset balthasar_s's who was in NP69 and I myself am on NP1776!

I'm leaning on using Firebase to replace the current database for the OTTer Map. As such, the (unmaintained) Cake Time database is also going to disappear.

Does this mean the Cake Time Styler is going away? That's the only way I ever know if anyone is near a RNM.

HES wrote:As an impulsive link-clicker, may I suggest that warnings go before the link? Thankfully I'm not that scared of HOLY CH*RP IT'S MOVING AT ME KILL IT WITH FIRE.

Oh, Randy, HES, if I had a dollar for every time one of your posts made me LOL (azule again? Sneaky molpy!), or choke trying not to LOL because I was in the office, I would be a wealthy woman.

I did manage not to click the link. But even though I don't like spiders, I have this urge to click the link. It's like how you can't look away from a traffic accident. OK, I looked. Briefly. *twitch twitch* All right, I think I'm better now. *twitch* mostly.

moody7277 wrote:Ahh...tie-dye OTTcolorization. IIRC, this was also the era for the flashy gif of epilepticness. If oldpixbot decides to dredge up that, it is the end of all of us.

I don't think there was a flashy OTColorization, was there? I only remember that party gif. Hm, maybe someone did use it for a colorization. Think oldpixbot knows to include a warning?

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Fri May 16, 2014 7:28 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:I don't think there was a flashy OTColorization, was there? I only remember that party gif. Hm, maybe someone did use it for a colorization. Think oldpixbot knows to include a warning?

I recently blitzed to this:
astrocub wrote:Warning: Do not open the following spoiler if you have any history of seizures, epilepsy, migraines, brain-eating amoebi, double-dactyl dyslexia, semencancerbabies, swollen footnotes, sudden appearance of molpyflowers, or if you are taking any AEDs or MAOIs MAOIi .
Spoiler:
Please do not quote this image without including clearly labeled warnings and spoiler tags. Talk to your doctor today to see if Semencoffeecancermustardbabiesonice® is right for you!

If Oldpixbot uses the database to find the OTColorizations - it'll be safe - I added it to the db without animation. And the frame is already UNGed.
Last edited by balthasar_s on Fri May 16, 2014 7:29 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
BSTA

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Fri May 16, 2014 7:28 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:(What happened to the sea meeting anyway?!)
I think of all the other OTTers every time I'm in the rain :) Actually I thought of mentioning it wip before last when everything was drenched here, but my shoes had been wet for hours and smelled dreadful, so I decided not to...

MistyCat wrote: I feel strangely compelled to mention the Time when I was about 6 years old and found that July 14th (my birthday) was a day of national celebration. Being unaware of the world outside New Zealand (the place I am privileged to call my home), I drew the obvious conclusion that the celebration was for me. Arrogant little ch*rper I was.
My birthdip's July 3rd so on the day before my 10th birthdip all the bells in all the land were ringing 200 times. I knew that it was for the US's bicentennial but I accepted the salute for myself, just the same :D
MistyCat wrote:Hands up everymolpy who didn't know that le quatorze Juliliet was Bastille day.
OK, now, who didn't know that the Bastille is/was a castle? RELATED
My hand's firmly down: one of the inside jokes that my daughters and I have is remembering relatively obscure holidips. The Ides of March is a huge one for us - this year I sent them a close-up of the March Hare's eyes. Next one up is the Glorious 25th of May, a triple holidip.

A Challenge: I know some OTTers might know one reason that May 25th is a holidip, and some if they think hard enough might know two. The third is personal, but can anyone think of the first two? (Hint for #1, I'm getting my eldest and her husband silver bud-vase lapel pins for the occasion. Hint for #2, Don't Panic!)

Neil_Boekend (Pope of np 1946) wrote:Yaay pope! Decree:Post stuff to print Time stuff on.
Beach towels. A specialized line of sand toys. Sugar sheets, the kind you lay on an iced cake as decoration. Clocks, of course ;). Also, I might try to make little wire earrings of Megan and Cue when I get back from California next mip.

NoMouse wrote:
AUTOMOME wrote: THE DIP IS A LIE

Well, that would explain todip, it was quite madness in the Outside (in the sense Time kept slippin', slippin' and didn't want to slow down).
My sister and I have a problem with this - we apparently live at different speeds. She gets twice as many things done in a given period of Time as an average person, and I get about .75 as many things done. Drives us both bonkers.

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:That is all for now. Portable Time Accessor posting is hard work - especially when people interrupt by calling in the middle of typing!
Preview edit: and then have to repeat click after a preview is required.
I feel your pain! Besides the difficulty of getting the cursor in just the right place, my PTA will sometimes decide to wipe anything I've written but not saved - not alway, but often enough that it's a risk jumping back to the thread page to check that I've spelled someone's name properly. It wouldn't be a big problem except that saving for me means five clicks plus a scroll and an expand. :roll: Going to save now...

Related: I'm two np behind, but in the last pic I saw it looks like the ledge is crumbling under the wheel. Look Out!
ETA:
slinches wrote:What's that stuff that's been fallONG off of the ledge in the last few frames?
Oh, you already knew about that... :oops:

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-1085

Postby mscha » Fri May 16, 2014 8:30 pm UTC

YAFFONGALES...
Spoiler:
LOOK OUT!
-- posted by newpixbot

mrob27

I WILL NOT THWAP THIS PRICKLYMOLP -- IT IS BROKENBEAN

Postby mrob27 » Fri May 16, 2014 8:46 pm UTC

This is a partial ketchup reply. I've been very busy vending hotdogs (well, just the one, but it's a biggie)

ucim wrote: (OTT:1942:38) That's not a bug, that's a feature! <valuable opinions, etc.>
   Anyway, having hit Rosetta, it won't be a goal of mine to reach the next tile (it will take twice as long each time!), but I will probably play it every now and again, and over time, who knows. :)

Thanks for your feedback. I value everyone's feedback, and sometimes I get a little concerned.
    I think it's great that people have reached a good stopping point (several others have) because the boosts I'm planning will change the hotdog a lot, and also make it easier to get far higher scores. In testing, my high score is now up above 38 million. In fact, it's probably time I added a 2097152 tile... :D

I kinda got curious about the SilentONG eras, and noticed that the Wiki page was out of date, so I've added everything suggested by @Earthling on Mars here on NP1916. I've also linked there from TimeAfterTime. Of course, EoM's suggestions were just that, and we're back at the bluecave now, but it's better than before.

lmjb1964 wrote: (OTT:1943:6) I was worried that devil comment would be taken seriously. I was hoping the devil smiley would show that I was in jest. ...

Thank you for the clarification. I did kind of think you were just kidding, and my opinions certainly weren't just in reply to you. A lot of OTTers have said similar things and though it's meant in fun, I always think there's some truth to the ideas. I made a hotdog that has kept a lot of people busy for longer than might be prudent, and that merits some contemplation...

AluisioASG wrote: (OTT:1944:17) You worry too much, mrob.

Indeed. You're getting to know me! :roll:

MistyCat wrote: ... OK, now, who didn't know that the Bastille is/was a castle? RELATED ...

I am another child guilty of thinking a major national holidip was a celebration of my own birth. However I think I made up for it by my observation of la Bastille. One year I and all the children at a week-long family-oriented island retreat were taught some of the more child-friendly bits of the French revolution, and given an afternoon to re-enact it, complete with some of the more gruesome bits such as a guillotine (constructed to act on the principle of the guillotine magic trick, though much more obviously fake). Little boys delight in chopping each others' heads off.
    35 years later, I was back and returned the favour by being one of the adults that led the afternoon's activities. The guillotine had long departed the island so I drew up the plans from memory and the carpenters made a new one. Little boys still delight in chopping each others' heads off. I suppose we should make a trebuchet too, it'd be at least as RELATED if not more.

And now for something completely different.
Spoiler:
I shall get two Rosettas
2:1970400:G:1970400:6:D0...E0...G3...F4...D7...A5...643..:2:0:
MistyCat's incredible feat

Whoa. :shock: Just ch*rping whoa. That takes about 120,000 moves. Bravo!

lmjb1964 wrote: Oh dear, I seem to have started a new game of Q04B on my large TimeAccessor. Oh, flutterbee colors are wingish!

Glad you like it! There's another boost just added todip, Cueless. I won't say what it is...

azule wrote: Ooh, awesomeful widescreen Q04B, mrob27! I know it was mostly for me....so, extra thanks!

You're welcome! And it turns out, I really like it too. I've been using it rather often because the fruit list can show 20 tiles, making it better than even the full-size view :D
    I needed a little help to get the ball rolling on those changes, which are easy for someone fluent in CSS but not so easy for me. I've been learning all of this (CSS, JavaScript) as I go along.

Concerning Spoilers and the Q04B Boost Design

I noticed during the development of Sandcastle Builder that a lot of us like to discover new game features on their own. There is a healthy respect for avoiding spoilers, and/or giving people the choice of whether to be spoiled or not.

I also like to include documentation and explanations in games. I like hotdogs that provide all the documentation built-in and easy to access. Perhaps others might want to read the documentation, but they should be able to avoid spoilers too. They should be able to pick and choose which bits they learn and when.

To satisfy these objectives, Q04B uses a multi-step process for getting and activating new capabilities ("boosts").
  • The hotdog will detect when the player has done whatever it is that is required to earn the boost.
  • It puts up a message telling the player that xey have earned a boost and directing them to the Options & Info page. In addition, a boost icon appears, but mustard grayed out.
  • On Options & Info there is a "Boosts" section with items for each boost. Each item contains the name of the boost and a link to a separate page with all the rest of the information about it. JavaScript checks which boosts the player has and adds a "spoiler warning" to each item that xey have not yet earned.
  • Each boost's description page shows the boost's icon, describes how it is earned, and explains what it does and how to use the features it provides.
  • On the description page, if the boost has been earned, an additional section prompts the player to follow a link to "activate" the boost. The boost's capabilities are not available until the player follows this link, which goes back to the main game screen.
  • Once activated, the boost's icon appears in a brighter state to indicate that it is active.
  • For most boosts, clicking the icon does something. If a boost is not yet activated, the icon is still grayed out, and it displays a message reminding the player to read about it in Options & Info.
  • Some boosts (including Cueless) also have "credits" and can be "primed". Credits are a number that is displayed on top of the boost's icon. One step in using Cueless is to click on the icon to "prime" it, and it is drawn differently to show this. Clicking again will "un-prime" the boost, so that the player can change xer mind.
  • Boosts and credits are stored in volatile JavaScript variables, and are continually saved into LocalStorage so that nothing is lost if the page is reloaded or if the browser crashes. In addition, the game can export and import via the Options & Info page, and it must be able to handle imports of old games that were exported before this new information was added to the exports text format. As far as I am able, I also try to make sure the game can import saves created by newer versions of the game, which happens a lot here in the TARDIS where Timborme and I do our hotdogging and testing.

This is all a lot more elaborate than would be necessary if I just wanted to add boosts to the hotdog. There are about 27 extra things I needed to put in the code to provide for all this extra user interface, but I did all this because I think it's the right way to design it. I spent a lot of effort getting all these bits to work together, creating a system that can be used to add future boosts a lot more easily.

More ketchup to come...

mrob27 Image

You know... liberty, equality and fraternity. Those bits. Definitely not the bloody and gory bits.
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Re: I WILL NOT THWAP THIS PRICKLYMOLP -- IT IS BROKENBEAN

Postby Earthling on Mars » Fri May 16, 2014 9:09 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:I kinda got curious about the SilentONG eras, and noticed that the Wiki page was out of date, so I've added everything suggested by @Earthling on Mars here on NP1916. I've also linked there from TimeAfterTime. Of course, EoM's suggestions were just that, and we're back at the bluecave now, but it's better than before.

Ah yes, I never finished that page. Some periods still need names. I also notice that somebody had already started a period division on the TimeAfterTime page, and it's different from mine. Huh. Well, mine is more fine-grained, at any rate.

Did they leave anythUNG good behind?
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Hmm, a raft? HEY I BET LAPETITE IS BUILDING A RAFT AND THEY'LL USE IT TO ESCAPE THE RISING WATER WHAT DO YOU THINK WILL MY PREDICTION BE RIGHT?

waveney

Re: Sandcastle Builder Version 3.5 - Here be Dragons

Postby waveney » Fri May 16, 2014 9:32 pm UTC

Flado wrote:
waveney wrote:
That is one VAST update - enjoy!

I find that hard to enjoy :cry:

I have released 3.5001 which should fix this.

ChronosDragon

How do I even kvetchup?

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri May 16, 2014 9:47 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote: I've been learning all of this (CSS, JavaScript) as I go along.

Congratulations, you're a professional web developer!

addams wrote:Must we turn around and start waiting the other way?

As a great man once said, From a nonlinear nonsubjective standpoint, you can picture time as a great big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff. Disorientation is only natural. Just
Spoiler:
Corrine-B-gone
and you will probably find your path again.

In the event that you become more Thoreauly lost, it's probably best to sit down by a lake and build a nice little cabin. Either me or mrob (in his TARDIS) will be by at some point and we can get you on your merry way.

BlitzGirl wrote:The sea is big. It has too much information.

Yes. But don't worry. It's ALL RELATED
Spoiler:

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri May 16, 2014 9:51 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:My 13-year old daughter walks in to the room staring at her phone.
Her: Mom! There's a new game I have to tell you about... I can't stop playing it and it's so awesome!
Me: Oh yeah? What is it?
Her: C**kie Clicker

GLR be damned, it has spread to the kids. I think the look on my face made her laugh, especially when I started muttering something about Randall and heretical games.

Ahhh! You have raised a devil child!
(Hi Val! Molpish to see you!)
ggh wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
ggh wrote:
Spoiler:
Somemolpy else wrote:
Somemolpy wrote:I haven't gone mad yet. I promise.

Image If you haven't gone mad yet you're doing something wrong.

Ohhh I remember this one. But not who it was. Just that the first person was a revealer the recent and the second was a regular... I'm gonna take a guess and say Link and HES?
Not bad - half right. :)
AluisioASG wrote:
ggh wrote:Hint: their post counts are orders of magnitude apart.

BlitzGirl and GingerCat?
Not bad - half right. :)

So then it has to be either Link and BlitzGirl, or Gingercat and HES... I'm going with the former.
(Ninja'd by myself of course)
jimbobmacdoodle wrote:New Other Comic is up. This is RELATED somehow I'm sure.

The alt-text certainly is! (And ninja'd by BlitzGirl...)
mscha wrote:OVERONGINEERED...
Spoiler:

Oh no. It's well known that the words "watch this!" always precede a terrible accident.
balthasar_s wrote:In yappobiscuits' signature I noticed that OTTscars pt.2 is now coming "eventually" and no longer "soon".

I changed it to "eventually" because "soon" was clearly a lie....

Steambottle, I guess I owe y'all an explanation. See, as some of you probably remember me mentioning before, I'm a serial procrastinator. And the more I procrastinate, the less I want to do whatever it is. So my motivation/inspiration for the ottscars is all but burnt out. It happens all the time with me and projects. I usually end up abandoning things. However, with this, I've started it and I got you all to vote and got you all excited about it so it would be wrong to just give up. So it will be done eventually. I can't say when, but I can't not do it. I could just half-ass it and post the results without all the story stuff, but I'd rather do it properly as I'm also a perfectionist... my perfectionism is part of why I'm a procrastinator actually. I don't like doing things unless I'm sure I can do it well...
BlueCrab wrote:A Challenge: I know some OTTers might know one reason that May 25th is a holidip, and some if they think hard enough might know two. The third is personal, but can anyone think of the first two? (Hint for #1, I'm getting my eldest and her husband silver bud-vase lapel pins for the occasion. Hint for #2, Don't Panic!)

Hmm, the second is going to be related to either Hitchhiker's Guide or Dad's Army...

I wiki'd it and found out which one... still not sure what the first is though even from the otherwiki.
ChronosDragon wrote:Yes. But don't worry. It's ALL RELATED
Spoiler:

Baobabs. That's seaish and wingish. And treeish, literally. It's some kind of diagram of RELATED-ness I presume... those look like IP addresses so I'm guessing something interwebby... (and I just noticed the filename.)
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

mscha

Time Revisited - np1387

Postby mscha » Fri May 16, 2014 10:10 pm UTC

SWISHUNGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:ONE DOES NOT SIMPLY MOLPY DOWN INTO MORDOR

-- posted by oldpixbot

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Fri May 16, 2014 10:16 pm UTC

BlueCrab wrote:Aluisio, I can't thank you enough - the OTT can't thank you enough - for not putting an image in your reply.

I knew it was missing something!
Spoiler:
Apparently “shoe cord” doesn't mean what I supposed it means :(

lmjb1964 wrote:LOL! (oops, how did azule sneak in here? :wink: )

in my pants.

lmjb1964 wrote:By the way, where is Ms. Minim?

I failed her.

lmjb1964 wrote:Does this mean the Cake Time Styler is going away? That's the only way I ever know if anyone is near a RNM.

No. CTS is a serverless script. The original intention of the Cake Time database was to allow ChronosDragon to do something fancy with it.

I suggest “to azule” = “to lol”.

lmjb1964 wrote:It's like how you can't look away from a traffic accident.

Legião Urbana, Metrópole (Metropolis), opening lyrics wrote:It's actual blood, not just Merthiolate
Everyone wants to see and comment on the news:
“Oh, so exciting, a real accident!”
Everyone's pleased with the disaster's success:
“It'll be on TV!”

mrob27 wrote:You know... liberty, equality and fraternity. Those bits. Definitely not the bloody and gory bits.

So not the reason one of my imaginary raftcastles is named Terror, right?

yappo wrote:Steambottle, I guess I owe y'all an explanation. See, as some of you probably remember me mentioning before, I'm a serial procrastinator. And the more I procrastinate, the less I want to do whatever it is. So my motivation/inspiration for the ottscars is all but burnt out. It happens all the time with me and projects. I usually end up abandoning things. However, with this, I've started it and I got you all to vote and got you all excited about it so it would be wrong to just give up. So it will be done eventually. I can't say when, but I can't not do it. I could just half-ass it and post the results without all the story stuff, but I'd rather do it properly as I'm also a perfectionist... my perfectionism is part of why I'm a procrastinator actually. I don't like doing things unless I'm sure I can do it well...

IOW, you've become me.
Happy 24th, BTW.
Selecting new quote…

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri May 16, 2014 10:20 pm UTC

I've always been like that, so I must also have always been you... meaning you are also HES...
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

mrob27

TREBUCHETS AND HOTDOGS AND OTTSCARS, OH MY!

Postby mrob27 » Fri May 16, 2014 10:20 pm UTC

waveney wrote: Sandcastle Builder Version 3.5 - Here be Dragons

Wow, SB is really growing a lot! :)

BlitzGirl wrote:
jimbobmacdoodle wrote: New Other Comic is up. This is RELATED somehow I'm sure.

To me it was the title text:
'TMI' he whispered, gazing into the sea.

Yeah, but it's mustard. It should say, "'TIME' he whispered, gazing into the sea.". It'll probably be fixed before you read this.

WATCH THIS! does not sound promising...

The Second Law of Frisbee: Never precede any stunt/trick/demo with a comment more predictive than, "Watch this!".
(The first law being that a Frisbee's motion responds to the strongest of the Frisbee Forces, that which sucks the disc under a parked car.)

AluisioASG wrote: The Blitzer Tracker script as it is now will cease to exist. Only half of the reported data is being used (namely, the check-in system) and the other half is utterly broken; I mean, ChronosDragon's been on NP1599 for ages, I just reset balthasar_s's who was in NP69 and I myself am on NP1776! ...

No, I have been on 1599 for ages, and that's just because I stopped Blitzing to play, I mean work on, Q04B.

Code: Select all

"_id":"acunning40","location":1610,"nukeLocalRecord":false},
 "_id":"AluisioASG","location":1776,"nukeLocalRecord":false},
 "_id":"balthasar_s","location":1735,"nukeLocalRecord":false},
 "_id":"ChronosDragon","location":1583,"nukeLocalRecord":false},
 "_id":"Earthling on Mars","location":1624,"nukeLocalRecord":false},
 "_id":"Eternal Density","location":1677,"nukeLocalRecord":false},
 "_id":"Flado","location":1082,"nukeLocalRecord":false},
 "_id":"karhell","location":1696,"nukeLocalRecord":false}]
 "_id":"kitnoki","location":258,"nukeLocalRecord":false},
 "_id":"micdi","location":245,"nukeLocalRecord":false},
 "_id":"mrob27","location":1599,"nukeLocalRecord":false},
 "_id":"patzer","location":1637,"nukeLocalRecord":false},
 "_id":"taixzo","location":1614,"nukeLocalRecord":false},
 "_id":"typobox","location":34,"nukeLocalRecord":false},
 "_id":"Uristqwerty","location":265,"nukeLocalRecord":false},
 # 20140516.1741

I think perhaps a lot of OTTers simply disabled their extensions or uninstalled the script. My records indicate that happened with @ChronosDragon on around 2013-10-31.

lmjb1964 wrote: Does this mean the Cake Time Styler is going away? That's the only way I ever know if anyone is near a RNM.

Cake Time Styler never depended on any servers or anything else as far as I know. It just looks at the post count that's right there under the person's avatar (if any) and name. You can also use mine, which is a little different (I think I changed the colors or the thickness of the line drawn around the post, and it considers 143 to be special)
    (Sorta ninja'd by @AluisioASG but I said a little more, having actually analyzed and changed the code :) )

Earthling on Mars wrote: I also notice that somebody had already started a period division on the TimeAfterTime page, and it's different from mine. ...

Yep, that's why I linked to the longer/newer one from there. And why change it, we need more standards :twisted: !

yappobiscuits wrote: ... I could just half-ass it and post the results without all the story stuff, but I'd rather do it properly as I'm also a perfectionist...

I figured that was happening. The most creative people in the world need to follow their convictions, including artistic standards and only doing projects when and how it seems best.
    I was going to wait another mip or two, and then suggest that we elect a writer to help you. That writer would need to be willing to keep the OTTscars results in confidence until you can work together to complete the writing.
    As for the suspense element, I think you were wise to do the personal awards (awards for people based on their personal attributes) first. The next category would presumably be the second-most-personal group, the awards for creations like best username. Timborme is still in the other end of the TARDIS and doesn't know he got nominated, so there's no harm done there. And frankly, I'd be fine never knowing which Time frame or character got the award, and likewise for Outside creations like films and music.

mrob27 Image

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Fri May 16, 2014 10:32 pm UTC

Gingercat wrote:
Spoiler:
azule wrote: EditG: Gingercat, please view (snip):
EditP: Please post this into the Future, where, surprisingly, this does not exist.

Lions and tigers and Gingercats, oh my! I now retroactively exist in the past that never had me! This conversation is proof!!

This was sent from the future into a point in the past which was still in my own, personal-frame-reference future, until it became my own present and subsequent past.
I'm extra-delighted by the fact that even this creative editing of the Timestream (previously known to me as "the Thread") causes more problems: This future-past-present-past message is entirely dependent on one's reference timeframe (heh) and will likely be in someone else's future until it becomes THEIR present and subsequent past. How many pasts, presents and futures does it need to exist in simultaneously before it collapses into a singularity, and a Time-distant traveller/observer has cause to say "It's Time, Jim, but not as we know it"?
Maybe it works like a Q04B cascade? Lots of little Timelines come into existence, and eventually coalesce into one smaller but denser Timeline?

azule wrote:
BlueCrab wrote:Wow, Cue's peeing off the cliff..
Boys. *rolls eyes* amiright? The rest of what you said: ick! But cool to learn that when I "don't wait for it" it actually goes for more than a mile. hahah! Hmm, are all the sperms in a single file line? lolololol. *red face*
Almost two miles, actually! :lol:
Girls can pee cleanly standing up, too. They're just not encouraged to because it involves a bit more exposure than people are comfortable with.

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:New Other Comic is up.
:shock: I'm choosing to believe that this means the OTA is reading the OTT. No, I'm choosing to believe that this means the mods tell him about bits of the OTT. No, I'm choosing to believe it's coincidence. No, I'm choosing to believe that... that... that... that I have no idea how anything works...

Megan wrote:Hey!
Watch this!
BlitzGirl wrote:WATCH THIS! does not sound promising...
It's not the ‘Watch this!’ it's the ‘Hey!’ ‘Hey y'all, watch this!’ are the last words of many, many people.

addams wrote:

Balthasar?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB_KstBiou4
addams! I was worrying that we hadn't inspired you to post lately, good to see you. 8-)

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri May 16, 2014 10:32 pm UTC

astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

ChronosDragon

Re: TREBUCHETS AND HOTDOGS AND OTTSCARS, OH MY!

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri May 16, 2014 10:33 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:
AluisioASG wrote: The Blitzer Tracker script as it is now will cease to exist. Only half of the reported data is being used (namely, the check-in system) and the other half is utterly broken; I mean, ChronosDragon's been on NP1599 for ages, I just reset balthasar_s's who was in NP69 and I myself am on NP1776! ...

No, I have been on 1599 for ages, and that's just because I stopped Blitzing to play, I mean work on, Q04B.

I don't recall uninstalling it, but I've refreshed my firefox install so many times it's probably got lost somewhere along the way.

And anyway, I'm not really planning a big blitz any time soon. So it'd just be following how kvetched up I was.

Link

Postby Link » Fri May 16, 2014 10:42 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:I've always been like that, so I must also have always been you... meaning you are also HES...

But I've always been like that too. Does that mean we're all the same person? This is getting confusing!

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Fri May 16, 2014 10:50 pm UTC

BlueCrab wrote:They're just not encouraged to because it involves a bit more exposure than people are comfortable with.

#JoanCornellaForPresident. That ought to fix it.

Link wrote:But I've always been like that too. Does that mean we're all the same person? This is getting confusing!

If y'll stop posting by 2023, then it'll be confirmed we're all the same.
Selecting new quote…

mrob27

NONE OF THE PLACES I FLOATED HAD BRAINSLUGS.

Postby mrob27 » Fri May 16, 2014 10:55 pm UTC

Link wrote: But I've always been like that too. Does that mean we're all the same person? This is getting confusing!

We're all Randall. That was settled aeons ago, and so of course we're discussing it again. I believe it was also determined that we're all bots, we're all @Helper, and we're all controlled by green safety hats. Except that last one is real.

ChronosDragon

Re: NONE OF THE PLACES I FLOATED HAD BRAINSLUGS.

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri May 16, 2014 11:01 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:
Link wrote: But I've always been like that too. Does that mean we're all the same person? This is getting confusing!

We're all Randall. That was settled aeons ago, and so of course we're discussing it again. I believe it was also determined that we're all bots, we're all @Helper, and we're all controlled by green safety hats. Except that last one is real.

I thought we took care of most of the safety hats back around Hallow's Eve?

mscha

Time Revisited - np1388

Postby mscha » Fri May 16, 2014 11:10 pm UTC

NUNGOLFERS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:I'M IN UR DILGUNNERANG, NINJAING UR TURTLEMOLPIES

-- posted by oldpixbot

HES

OTWingish

Postby HES » Fri May 16, 2014 11:19 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:So then it has to be either Link and BlitzGirl, or Gingercat and HES... I'm going with the former.
(Ninja'd by myself of course)

You should know better than to trust yourself.

ChronosDragon wrote:
mrob27 wrote:

I thought we took care of most of the safety hats back around Hallow's Eve?

Most of. How quickly do they reproduce?
He/Him/His Image

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”