1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Replies to azule

Postby AluisioASG » Sun May 25, 2014 6:41 am UTC

azule wrote:
mikrit wrote:My brain always tries to parse that as "Moderately Safe for Work Furry Puppies".

FTFY. You know what I mean. *includes image explaining the joke* (I changed the last word to wolpy related...but you can probably guess the original version.)

How did you say it… oh yes. Out of the loop.

azule wrote:Funny...but, violent. Poor Cueball. He should definitely get together with Rosetta instead. She'd tread him right. Megan beats him and steals things. She's a bad apple. *shakes head*

* eyes suspiciously

azule wrote:Mine is saying "KH" for kitty. That's right, no vowels present and not "K".

What was it… Czech? Polish? Well, one of these languages with an seemingly small vowels/word rate.

azule wrote:I like how Cue says "how big" and he's really big and Megan says "I don't know" while she doesn't look at him (to see how big he is).

I don't know why I'm quoting this but I like it.

azule wrote:Hmm, so does Zan mean something. It doesn't mean dirty, right? Help me out.

Zan-clean?
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

mscha

Time Revisited - np1588

Postby mscha » Sun May 25, 2014 7:10 am UTC

CROFTUNGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:BRACE YOURSELF, DECREE IS COMING

-- posted by oldpixbot

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ZoomanSP » Sun May 25, 2014 8:29 am UTC

oldpixbot wrote:

Sorry oldpixbot, Aluisio ninja'd you on this papacy.
ImageImageImage

But I'll make a guess on what your decree might have been, so...

LOOKALUNG...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
Last edited by ZoomanSP on Sun May 25, 2014 8:31 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-1136

Postby mscha » Sun May 25, 2014 8:30 am UTC

BONGLED...
Spoiler:
LOOK OUT!
-- posted by newpixbot

mrob27

EVERYMOLPY, STAND BACK. I KNOW DEMUSTARDING.

Postby mrob27 » Sun May 25, 2014 8:41 am UTC

Okay, some Q04B news:

There is another new boost, Chirpy, and it adds two icons to the screen. There are now 5 boosts and 6 icons; three of the boosts have "credits". I realize some might not want all these boosts to be on by default, so the individual description pages now allow you to "deactivate" the boost. For example, you might want to turn off Wait for it. to save on 3G bandwidth usage, well now you can. I continue doing simulations to work out how some of the future boosts should be balanced, and I have found the right parameters for the next four or five boosts.

BlueCrab wrote: mrob, I'm on an iPhone 4S, running 6.0.1 (10A523). Makes sense to you, I hope. This is what your post looks like to me:

Oh hey! An excuse to read the OTT on my phone :mrgreen: okay, let's see...

Hmmm, that's very mustardly epsilon we have here... I also have an iPhone 4S and my iOS is 6.1.something, and I see the same problem. I tried it in two different browsers: the standard Safari browser, and Atomic Web, the 3rd party browser that has lots of cool features such as user agent spoofing (make all websites think your browser is "Desktop Firefox" so you don't get their stupid "mobile site") and... :D a font size adjustment! :D When first loading the page, the sizes are just as ch*rped up as in Safari, but as soon as you use the Increase/Decrease Font Size commands in the gear menu (or the A+ or A- icons when in fullscreen mode), the page is redrawn and all the sizes look the way they should.

So my recommendation is get one of the alternative browsers recommended by this review. A couple of them are free and Atomic was only US $1.00 when I got it.

If anyone is curious, I also found a lot of technical details:

Spoiler:
here is a page describing the cause of this, and here and here are folks who noticed the problem and are trying to find an answer; the latter shows that the problem has been around for 4 yips! It is clear that the Safari engineers check for some common sizes and change them, but leave the uncommon sizes alone. I am very surprised that they did not use a general-purpose conversion formula, like I do in the no-tinytext userscript, that maps all possible sizes onto a continuous range of adjusted sizes.

If one has control of the server serving the webpage, the solution is to add this to the CSS (stylesheet):

Code: Select all

body {
   -ie-text-size-adjust: 100%;
   -moz-text-size-adjust: 100%;
   -webkit-text-size-adjust: 100%;
 }

though Safari is the only browser that actually has this font problem, so I guess really you only need the -webkit-text-size-adjust line.
    This is something one could so if one were hosting a mirror of the OTT (cough cough, @balthasar_s, cough cough). On one page I saw someone mention that instead of "100%", one could instead use "none", but that prevents desktop users from being able to zoom with the normal zoom commands, which would be e**ish.

Spoiler:
NP1961 chirped fonts.jpg
What Mobile Safari engineers do for "fun"
NP1961 chirped fonts.jpg (14.98 KiB) Viewed 12243 times
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

Link

Re: CH*RPING CHIRPIES, HOW DO THEY CH*RP? 

Postby Link » Sun May 25, 2014 8:42 am UTC

mrob27 wrote:Thank you for doing that, @Link! It was on my to-do list, after noticing that the original AUTOMEME uses a five-column form for its verbs:

Y'know, I've never even looked at the original AUTOMEME's code. AUTOMOME is a "black box" clone. :)

azule wrote:
slinches (and an allusion to HES) wrote:GAH! That episode is one of the few things that I've watched that will creep me out any time I see it.
What show/episode? I'm out of the loop. :( Who's mummy? Is this British or Egyptian?
Doctor Who, The Empty Child. Jamie's mummy. British.

AluisioASG

Seven. This is seven.

Postby AluisioASG » Sun May 25, 2014 8:43 am UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:
oldpixbot wrote:

Sorry oldpixbot, Aluisio ninja'd you on this papacy.
ImageImageImage

FTFY, despite my avatar's complaints. Image

Lighthouses. Benches. A reststop-themed newpage. The goat provides the Beacon.
Spoiler:
Selecting new quote…

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun May 25, 2014 9:25 am UTC

The Isle d'If in our Time has a lighthouse:

Red-topped tower on the left side of the image.

RelatUNG to the people in the hills:
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Sun May 25, 2014 10:15 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:Lighthouses. Benches. A reststop-themed newpage. The goat provides the Beacon.

Here, the goat provides the bacon...
Spoiler:
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?

MistyCat

Q04B

Postby MistyCat » Sun May 25, 2014 10:49 am UTC

My Third Rosetta.
Spoiler:
Q04B010-3602434Before.gif
Before

Q04B011-3733264After.gif
After

Q04B012-3738258CleanUp.gif
After Clean-up

Redundant
Spoiler:
Purrr.
MistyCat wrote:Ch*rpedy ch*rp the ch*rpng ch*rp.

Waiting for Lucky

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Sun May 25, 2014 11:37 am UTC

UNGFAMILIAR...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
Wait on.

Spoiler:

mscha

Time Revisited - np1593

Postby mscha » Sun May 25, 2014 12:10 pm UTC

STRUNGARMS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:IS IT CAN BE MOLPIEZ TIEM NAO PLEES?

-- posted by oldpixbot

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-1137

Postby mscha » Sun May 25, 2014 12:30 pm UTC

RASPONGS...
Spoiler:
LOOK OUT!
-- posted by newpixbot

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun May 25, 2014 12:53 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:RelatUNG to the people in the hills:

It's all RELATED, Cueball.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sun May 25, 2014 12:56 pm UTC

BlueCrab wrote:
ggh wrote:
BlueCrab wrote:Attention all OTTers! Are you here and awake? The Time has arrived for your Presence, and Cake!
Can I get a hint?
It's from Happy Birthday, Little Pookie by Sandra Boynton, one of my favorite young children's authors. Little Wonder's about 4 yips old, right? She probably would still enjoy Boynton's books, they're very silly. Blue Hat, Green Hat is a favorite, but not for bedtime - it makes the little ones giggle too much :P

How did I not get that? Favorites here were Moo, Baa, La La La and The Going to Bed Book oh, and Dog Train, of course.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-1138

Postby mscha » Sun May 25, 2014 4:30 pm UTC

SLEDDONGS...
Spoiler:
LOOK OUT!
-- posted by newpixbot

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Sun May 25, 2014 5:24 pm UTC

ggh wrote:Mikrit! Great meet-up tale! Also, can you tell your mom I said hi?

Thank you. And yes, I said hi from you today, as we celebrated Mother's Day on the one true date for us non-ethnic people. She says hi to you, too.

I tried to explain how I know you, and my Mother has some rudimentary Internet skills, as in: "click on images and things happen", but it felt surrealistic. "You see, Mom, you remember how I used to draw stickman cartoons when I was a kid, and now there is a grown-up man in America who does it too, on the Internet, and then people can discuss them, and last summer he drew a very long stickman story that lasted three months, and we are still discussing it, and talking about other stuff like Mothers and hamsters". Perhaps it was just as well that I didn't try to explain the rhyming schemes based on the epilogue sequence.

azule wrote:
mikrit wrote:My brain always tries to parse that as "Moderately Safe for Work Furry Puppies".
FTFY. You know what I mean. *includes image explaining the joke* (I changed the last word to wolpy related...but you can probably guess the original version.)

My mind is like the white, white snow,
Just fallen from above.
No shady thoughts can there be found,
Just pure and noble love.

So, azule, you must mean Furry Pachyderms.
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

HES

Postby HES » Sun May 25, 2014 6:04 pm UTC

BlueCrab wrote:
HES wrote:Now it all makes sense. People don't fall into the basement, the OTT is a building that is sinking under all the extra weight. The pastpresent becomes the basement as it reaches ground level...
So the more we post, the more basement there is? :shock: I don't like that at all...

It does keep filling with more OTTers as time goes on, so it must be getting bigger. According to Cuegan logic, at least.
He/Him/His Image

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Sun May 25, 2014 6:18 pm UTC

azule wrote:
slinches (and an allusion to HES) wrote:
GAH! That episode is one of the few things that I've watched that will creep me out any time I see it.

What show/episode? I'm out of the loop. Who's mummy? Is this British or Egyptian?
It's from an episode in the first season of the Doctor Who reboot. It's.. it's creepy, that's all can think of to describe it.

azule wrote:
lmjb wrote:My meowlpy has learned words too. I mean, she understands them. She may be trying to speak them, since she's pretty vocal, but she hasn't quite mastered it.
Babies, too. Mine is saying "KH" for kitty. That's right, no vowels present and not "K". I still don't know what "GAH!" means (always yelled and short), but that's the go to word right now. This babymolp? is very vocal right now. (Yeah, I used your quote as an excuse. Sorry. I hope you like being used for the purpose of baby cuteness. )
Meowlpies definitely imitate tone, and I've known plenty who would hold meowlpy/people conversations with appropriate cadence too. I'm fascinated that they effectively chose to domesticate themselves, and by how they've adapted themselves to convince us to take care of them and enjoy doing it.
‘Kh’ sounds about to call a meowlpy azule, your babymolp's almost a yip old, right? ‘GAH’ means whatever he wants it to mean, figuring out whether or not you need to do anything about it is your job :P
Sheesh, I feel like talk about my littles every time we see a beesnake, but I think this is the first time you've mentioned yours since I've been back.

About the colorblind-correcting glasses
azule wrote:Thanks for the link, BC. Neat science (for the colorblind), but only in daysun? And as far as I saw, no OtherGlasses support. It's not for me unfortunately (plus...$400!).
Yeah, they're not ready for prime Time yet, by a long shot. Good to know they're working on it, though.
azule wrote:
BC wrote: both BlitzGirl's and lmjb's floods were of relatively clean water. Mine was Zan, but it was not clean.
Hmm, so does Zan mean something. It doesn't mean dirty, right? Help me out.
Nope, sorry! :D Just the prefix in Zanclean. Dang I wish my brain was faster, I'm sure I could come up with something...
azule wrote:
BC wrote: ETA: should I also post an invite in the Meetups thread? I began one so that basementees might see it, but the message started to look obnoxiously exclusive and now I'm not sure.

Yeah, that's happened to me many time on venture forth of the OtherThreads. Just post it, get ridiculed, ???, come back and enjoy. ??? is the important step.
The ??? is where the money happens, right? Oh - no, that's the bit before the money. Right-o, I'll post that tonip :)
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Sun May 25, 2014 6:51 pm UTC

BlueCrab wrote:
azule wrote:
BC wrote: both BlitzGirl's and lmjb's floods were of relatively clean water. Mine was Zan, but it was not clean.
Nope, sorry! :D Just the prefix in Zanclean. Dang I wish my brain was faster, I'm sure I could come up with something...

This looks like a job for ... Etymology Man! [Insert catchy tune here.]
- It's elementary, my dear azule, and you were nearly right.
Wikipedia wrote:The Zanclean stage ... is named after Zancla, the pre-Roman name for the Italian city of Messina on Sicily.

- So, if Zancla means Messina, it follows that Zan means Messi.
(And Zanclean means Messi-clean, a word construction similar to pianoforte.)
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Sun May 25, 2014 6:56 pm UTC

Oh no, it happened. The time replay was faster than me. I'm behind.

lmjb1964 wrote:It is. I'll sing it for you sometime. :)
Lmjb wants to... sing for me? :shock:

BlitzGirl wrote:Ooh, thanks, bluethasoftware!
bothasar_s wrote:???

Wait, do I hear someone coughing at me?
mrob27 wrote: This is something one could so if one were hosting a mirror of the OTT (cough cough, @balthasar_s, cough cough).
What a coincidence that I do run a mirror. Done. (Remember that he mirror also uses the redundant domain, currently)

Image wrote:I'm really liking the blueness server, @balthablueinator!
And I was going to improve it soon, which means it won't make images like those two. (Now it only enhances the channel with the greatest value. It will do something that is an equivalent of shifting the colorspace, enhancing the highest value, and shifting back, but in one step, not three. It will help enhancing not-completely-blue bluecaves. Not that we have such things.). But I can keep this version too. if someone wants it.

ETA: And you mentioned the notinytext blitzenhelfern userscript. Our last change to the script was not announced on the OTT. Only we two know about it.

ETA2: I saw Sustainabilizer in the "Who is online?" And I read it as Sustainablitzer instead. Also, some days ago I saw astrocub online.

Redundant.
Spoiler:
coughtardis.gif

mrobenhd27.PNG
mrobenhd27.PNG (31.59 KiB) Viewed 11931 times

reduncough.png
reduncough.png (5.94 KiB) Viewed 11931 times
Last edited by balthasar_s on Sun May 25, 2014 7:21 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

BlitzGirl

It was quite clever, though.

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun May 25, 2014 7:01 pm UTC

Some missed UNGs over the last few nopix:
Spoiler:

Current UNG:

mikrit wrote:
Wikipedia wrote:The Zanclean stage ... is named after Zancla, the pre-Roman name for the Italian city of Messina on Sicily.

(And Zanclean means Messi-clean, a word construction similar to pianoforte.)

Alas, this one tipped me over the edge...

VITSSÅGEN, JA!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun May 25, 2014 7:09 pm UTC

HES wrote:It does keep filling with more OTTers as time goes on, so it must be getting bigger. According to Cuegan logic, at least.
Oh no! That means the basement must know what it's doing!

Heresy! (where's that chocolate cauldron when you need it?)

(wait a minute - what's it doing in the basement?... and why are the chairs so comfortable?)

(and what happens when you open a parenthesis in one size and close it in another?)

While I'm here, I want to share a (RELATED) awesome piece of music I've been listening to: "The Brendan Voyage". Some clips here. The recording I have is from Tara: ISBN 6 58206 30062 4 and came with a book about this voyage across the Atlantic in a leather raftcastle to prove that it was possible. It was an awesome voyage, an awesome story, and the music is ch*rpin' Baobabish. I came across it some years ago while traveling in Ireland, and don't know why I never thought of mentioning it here before. Must be the brain slugs.

BlueCrab wrote: Nope, sorry! :D Just the prefix in Zanclean. Dang I wish my brain was faster, I'm sure I could come up with something...
Somebody's gonna come up with a punsaw. :)

Steakish on the Bluethabot, balthacycle! I did notice some othercolor though. Mustard, or Lucky detective work?

As for those ch*rpin' glasses - how do they work?

Ketchup later.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

HES

Postby HES » Sun May 25, 2014 7:56 pm UTC

ucim wrote:(and what happens when you open a parenthesis in one size and close it in another?)

)
He/Him/His Image

mikrit

Re: Time After Time: t1i-1118

Postby mikrit » Sun May 25, 2014 7:58 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
mscha wrote:
Spoiler:
WHIRLONGS...

Is she saying "hello", or is she saying "goodbye"... Image

Maybe the literal meaning of the word is "peace", like Shalom or Salaam. So in this context, it might mean "Rest in peace"... *Sob.*

On a more recent NewPage,
BlitzGirl wrote:Alas, this one tipped me over the edge...

Hey, that wasn't me, I was just channelling Etymology Man.

Saw, saw, go away,
Come again some other day.

BlitzGirl

Less-heretical version.

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun May 25, 2014 8:02 pm UTC

Saw, saw, please do skip,
Come again some other dip.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Time Revisited - np1601

Postby mscha » Sun May 25, 2014 8:10 pm UTC

CUNGOS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:YOU HAVE CRENELLATED MOST OF A RIVERISH NEEDLE-PULLED THING. PLEASE PICK YOUR GRAPEVINES WITH GREATER CARE.

-- posted by oldpixbot

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Sun May 25, 2014 8:42 pm UTC

Just a random RELATED thing:
Yesterday, I've seen the new X-Men in the cinema and while waitingfor it for the post-credits scene, one random name caught my eye - it read (in all caps of course): TOBIAS OTT. Apparently, Ott is a common? surname but I didn't knew that and found it treeish. :)

Also:
AUTOMOME wrote:"THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE!" I SCREAMED AS MROB27 POSTED

?Is it?
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

ggh

Postby ggh » Sun May 25, 2014 9:22 pm UTC

BlueCrab wrote:
Link wrote:
BlueCrab wrote:...Gosh, it's like you xuys are speaking a different language, or something...
UNIX-speak is a bit like Ottish in that respect; it's completely incomprehensible to those who don't know the jargon. An example (true story):
Spoiler:
I dd'ed /dev/zero to a file and formatted it as EXT4 using mke2fs. I then debootstrapped Wheezy-armhf onto it, pushed it onto my rooted Android phone using adb, and wrote a script to losetup the image, mount the virtual block device, and chroot into it. I then used APT to install a full GNU toolchain, among other things, so I can clone some git repos and hack FLOSS. Also handy: I have Texlive and Vim, so I can do my homework (for which I use LaTeX and git) and latexmk it into PDF, all from my phone.
It is a lot like OTTish! I can follow the sense of the sentence structure, but most of the verbs and pretty much all of the nouns are words I don't know. Neat!

I'm not very knowledgeable about this stuff, but I believe that the origins of many unix terms are also similar to OTTish in their injokeyness. Unix is a play on the name of an earlier system "multix", and of course sounds like "eunuchs". There was a shell called the Bourne shell, and later someone developed a shell called Bash - the Bourne-again shell. Good thing unix developers rarely own chainsaws. YACC stands for Yet Another Compiler Compiler. Brainy people, feel free to correct me.

BlueCrab wrote:
ggh wrote:
BlueCrab wrote:Attention all OTTers! Are you here and awake? The Time has arrived for your Presence, and Cake!
Can I get a hint?
It's from Happy Birthday, Little Pookie by Sandra Boynton, one of my favorite young children's authors. Little Wonder's about 4 yips old, right? She probably would still enjoy Boynton's books, they're very silly. Blue Hat, Green Hat is a favorite, but not for bedtime - it makes the little ones giggle too much :P

Ah, I don't know it yet, but good to find out about! The Little Wonder will turn 2 in September. We read books, but only have a small collection right now, with Down the Back of the Chair my favourite to read at the moment - I keep wanting to OTTify it.

Ooh! Wire Cuegan jewelry! That sure sounds treeish!

ETA:
sUNGsible:

ETA2 for decree:
Last edited by ggh on Sun May 25, 2014 9:31 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

Earthling on Mars
Morning

A Bench

Postby Earthling on Mars » Sun May 25, 2014 9:24 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
Lighthouses. Benches. A reststop-themed newpage. The goat provides the Beacon.

Another Bench? Sure, why not.

Hello, blitzers. As you trek onward through the Thread, you come upon a bench. Have a seat, rest your body. Lay down if you want. Time still moves on, but right now it's time for you to take a break. Don't spend a thousand lifetimes here, though, because there are still many things ahead that you'd never guess the world had in it.

redundant
Spoiler:
(P.S. I have no idea what this avatar is. patzer is making me wear it.)
My current avatar, for future blitzers: Image
bench2.png
bench2.png (1.59 KiB) Viewed 11806 times

bench2_megball.png
bench2_megball.png (7.09 KiB) Viewed 11806 times

As you get up from this Bench, you see a light shining not far ahead of you.
Last edited by Earthling on Mars on Mon May 26, 2014 12:17 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-1139

Postby mscha » Sun May 25, 2014 9:30 pm UTC

FRONGILLIFORM...
Spoiler:
LOOK OUT!
-- posted by newpixbot

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Sun May 25, 2014 9:42 pm UTC

mrob wrote: the standard Safari browser, and Atomic Web, the 3rd party browser that has lots of cool features such as user agent spoofing (make all websites think your browser is "Desktop Firefox" so you don't get their stupid "mobile site")
Ooh, app lust! I guess I'd better finally get with Apple and fix my password, the Littles changed it on me back in October. (I, too, am a proud{?} member of the Procrastinators Club. Or I would be, if we ever got around to making one. And if I ever got around to joining...)
For those who don't use a mobile Time-accessor, ‘mobile sites’ are abbreviated versions of regular sites, with Limited Function For Your Convenience!TM. Generally they are difficult to navigate, don't have the features you want, and DON'T ZOOM. :evil:
Thank you so much for checking that out, mrob, and for the recommendation. Good to know most OTTers are seeing my sizing properly. :)

mikrit wrote:
Spoiler:
BlueCrab wrote:
azule wrote:

This looks like a job for ... Etymology Man! [Insert catchy tune here.]
- It's elementary, my dear azule, and you were nearly right.

And it was a Messi flood indeed, all over Tim's calculus notes :x

ucim wrote:While I'm here, I want to share a (RELATED) awesome piece of music I've been listening to: "The Brendan Voyage". Some clips here. The recording I have is from Tara: ISBN 6 58206 30062 4 and came with a book about this voyage across the Atlantic in a leather raftcastle to prove that it was possible. It was an awesome voyage, an awesome story, and the music is ch*rpin' Baobabish. I came across it some years ago while traveling in Ireland, and don't know why I never thought of mentioning it here before. Must be the brain slugs.
The Brendan Voyage is an amazing work :D My father discovered it while I was living in Scotland and played it for me when we came back for a visit, with descriptive commentary: ‘Now listen here, do you hear the storm? It's building and building, and then the coracle's going hell-for-leather over the waves, spinning and scudding!’ and him laughing with delight.

ucim wrote:
BlueCrab wrote: Nope, sorry! :D Just the prefix in Zanclean. Dang I wish my brain was faster, I'm sure I could come up with something...
Somebody's gonna come up with a punsaw. :)
Jose
Yep, somebody did :D
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

BlitzGirl

Time Revisited - np1603

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun May 25, 2014 10:56 pm UTC

Pessimistic Cueball UNG:
Spoiler:
Isle d'If lighthouse, different angle:

OTT Time Travel

OTToMeme wrote:[KETCHUP NEEDED]
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Sun May 25, 2014 11:08 pm UTC

Having paused in my blitz for the Outsider event known as "weekend", I beheld The Great Fade with trepidation.

There is much speculation that this could be the (quite disappointing) End of Time, but I believe it not. To believe that this is the End would be to invalidate all I know of The Great Randall (which is actually little, but I do know his offerings are deeper than a simple fade-to-white!), thus I resume my trek with great interest. How will the whiteness be resolved? Did LaPetite bring a new toner cartridge with her? I must know!

Also of interest is the fact that The Great Fade happened on a Friday not only for me in my present, but also in the past that I am blitzing. This feeling of synchronicity pleased me immensely, and made me feel more at home.

My friends, Page 500 rapidly approaches (I'm on 447 now, and they fall like dominos before my feline fastness!). I can only wonder what wonders are yet to come.
I am Schrödinger's Gingercat.

HES

Postby HES » Sun May 25, 2014 11:21 pm UTC

Just FYI, BlitzGirl, you have about fourty dips to come up with something to rival this.
He/Him/His Image

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Sun May 25, 2014 11:22 pm UTC

FInally found the Time to write up the script to make animated, bluenhanced gifs out of any sequence of SilentONGs. It's rather simplistic, but then I'm not much of a programmer.

Bluegif.sh just grabs the enhanced frames given the first and last frame numbers (the number in the filename, e.g. 1190 for t1i-1190.png) as input and then uses the imagemagick "convert" command to create an animated gif called bluenhanced.gif

./bluegif.sh 1068 1139

By the way, thanks for setting up the server based version of bluenh, Balthablueifier. It works great and saved me a bunch of effort.

Spoiler:
bluegif.sh:

#!/bin/bash

start_frame=$1
end_frame=$2

for i in $(seq $start_frame $end_frame)
do

wget --output-document=$i.png 'http://1190-botm.dnsdynamic.com/cgi/bluenh/bluenhd?inpix=http%3A%2F%2Fxkcd.mscha.org%2Fotcstories%2Ft1i-'$i'.png&a=0&b=34&c=41&d=0&e=40&f=255'

done

convert -delay 200 -loop 0 *.png bluenhanced.gif

bluenhaced.gif

of course I had a typo the first time I ran it :roll:

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun May 25, 2014 11:40 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:ETA2: I saw Sustainabilizer in the "Who is online?" And I read it as Sustainablitzer instead. Also, some days ago I saw astrocub online.

I do that every time I see their name...
ucim wrote:While I'm here, I want to share a (RELATED) awesome piece of music I've been listening to: "The Brendan Voyage". Some clips here. The recording I have is from Tara: ISBN 6 58206 30062 4 and came with a book about this voyage across the Atlantic in a leather raftcastle to prove that it was possible. It was an awesome voyage, an awesome story, and the music is ch*rpin' Baobabish. I came across it some years ago while traveling in Ireland, and don't know why I never thought of mentioning it here before. Must be the brain slugs.

Ahhh awesomeful orchestral music mixed with folk music is my favourite thing ever and uilleann pipes are also my favourite thing ever. :mrgreen: Thanks for the link! I wish I could hear it in full and higher quality... I'll look it up. How have I not heard of this before...?

Oh hey @Earthling on Mars, you've turned into some kind of mutant form of Alot. I wonder why...
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

mscha

Time Revisited - np1605

Postby mscha » Mon May 26, 2014 12:10 am UTC

BUNGEES...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:I LIKE MY VATICAN MILLINER'S PERFECT CUSTOMERS LIKE I LIKE MY BLINDPOSTS: COVERED IN PUNSAWS

-- posted by oldpixbot

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Mon May 26, 2014 12:11 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Okay, the black and white songs were tackled by people much brighter than I, but I found a song I liked that still fits the theme, I think. :)
Spoiler:
Both Sides, Now
(with utmost respect for Joni Mitchell)

Poles in holes set everywhere
Lift tall Sandcastles in the air
And Megan shaking off her hair
I've looked at Time that way
But now away the Duo runs
Leaving us puzzled, every one
So much construction left undone
And yet they didn't stay

I've looked at Time from both sides now,
The black and white, and still somehow
Each newpix still leaves me in thrall
I really don't know Time at all

Toons, typhoons, and graphed ideals
The dizzy wandering makes you reel
As into Present Time you steal
I've looked at posts that way
But now I'm part of the whole show
Not just a pilgrim Now, you know
Into the future I must go
Let the past slip away

I've looked at posts from both sides now,
From here and then, and still somehow
Each newpage still leaves me in thrall
I really don't know threads at all

Tears and fears, the Waiting crowd
Shout "It's not over!" right out loud
Streams and beams made us feel proud,
we've looked at Time that way
But now the Pair are open range
And we all wonder what will change
But still it seems a fair exchange
The Fading's gone away!

We've looked at Time from both sides now,
From Fade and not, and still somehow
Each TimeFrame still leaves us in thrall
We really don't know Time at all

We've looked at Time from both sides now,
From hope and dread, and still somehow
Each TimeFrame still leaves us in thrall
We really don't know Time at all

This wins a boxcat1-sized Internet. With free shipping.

1The boxcat may be a bobcat. Would buy again either way.
I am Schrödinger's Gingercat.

AluisioASG

konec

Postby AluisioASG » Mon May 26, 2014 12:25 am UTC

Someone added Simba to the OTTer Map. After I migrated the database for testing.

Hm, would a linking feature be useful? Like http://ottermap.chirpingmustard.com/#AluisioASG?

BlueCrab wrote:azule, your babymolp's almost a yip old, right?

:shock: Has it been that long?

ggh wrote:UNIX® is a play on the name of an earlier system "MULTICS"

AFAIK

ggh wrote:YACC stands for Yet Another Compiler Compiler. Brainy people, feel free to correct me.

YaST: Yet Another Setup Tool (IIRC)
YAP: Yet Another Prolog
Yappo: Yet Another Pre-Processor for Object files
And let's not forget the new map, which was to be named Yet AnOTTer Map (except it's the first).

What's that avatar, EoM? Ah, got it.

BlueCrab wrote:I guess I'd better finally get with Apple and fix my password

One of these days I'll have to call Amazon to get my AWS account back.

Thus ends Newpage 1961.
This is how it sounds.
Last edited by AluisioASG on Mon May 26, 2014 12:35 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Selecting new quote…

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”