1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Link

Re: I'm not blind anymore but I can't see straight either.

Postby Link » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:59 pm UTC

azule wrote:Link "newer versions of Skype for Linux have dropped support for ALSA (yes, seriously) and now only support PulseAudio *spits on floor*" - I know of these things, but why do you find one acceptable and the other not? Quality?
Spoilered for unmolpish rant:
Spoiler:
I like ALSA because it's a simple no-frills API that hooks directly into the kernel and, as of a few yips ago, mostly Just Works™. Then, just as people are starting to realise ALSA no longer needs layer upon layer of sounds severs, mixers and abstraction APIs like it did several yips ago, Mr. Lennart "You Should Fix Your Kernel To Support My Broken Software" Poettering barges in and starts throwing PulseAudio in everyone's face. OK, so it does some things you can't do with ALSA alone, which is treeish and all, right up until the point you start demanding everybody and their neighbour's wolpy starts using it for their whole system, even in situations where ALSA is fine. Basically, it's a solution to a problem that never existed, except Poettering insists it did, and subsequently tries to declare himself Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer of All Things Linux so that he can ram his alleged One True Sound System (and One True Init System) down everyone's throat by papal decree.

The thing is, every application I use that requires sound supports ALSA, except for new versions of that proprietary piece of m*stard Skype, and because of that, I should migrate my entire system to a different sound system. Basically... Chirp. That. Mustard.

Eep, my personal molpishness level is running sandishly low. Image
Link used Emergency Kitten! It's super effective! Image

macraw83

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby macraw83 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:12 pm UTC

HES wrote:I thought at first it was to do with whether I was friends with any of the commenters, but that's not the case. It does seem to be mostly below photos, or perhaps "below most photos".
Well, all I have to say is Epsilon.
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:40 pm UTC

Molpy back! Bloodstock was awesomeful but there wasn't much RELATED stuff... I called a few people a "silly molpy" though, much to their confusion. Though I suppose, camping in tents was RELATED, especially since it rained rather Zancleanly on Saturnip/Sunday mornip and I had a few puddles in my tent.

Also not RELATED but felt like sharing, one of the highlights of the festival was comedy-medieval-metal band Jaldaboath (or "heraldic templar metal" as they call themselves). Imagine Monty Python and the Holy Grail/Blackadder meets a metal band. They were most hilarious and I think some OTTers might appreciate them (i.e. those who are fans of comedy music i.e. Angelastic). Have some songs.

HES wrote:Space-hamply jam sounds like a hamply making music in space, like Chris Hadfield. Molpish
Space hamply-jam sounds like astronaut food made out of hamplies. Unmolpish.

Space Hamply Jam also sounds like a hamply playing basketball with Bugs Bunny and Michael Jordan.
lmjb1964 wrote:Hi, everymolpy! I realized that at the rate I was going, it would take 1000 lifetimes to ketchup to all if you.hyper. So when no one was looking, I used the RAZOR time portal to leap into the present. Hm, I'll probably get in trouble for not logging that trip, not to mention personal use of work equipment. Oh well, I'm sure there have been some raptors and zombies in the thread recently. I can make it RELATED.

I had reading along, but it's so hard to reply on my MTA and so frustrating not to reply to all the awesomeful things I see. I have some downtime coming up (or is it uptime coming down?), so hopefully I can do some ketchup then.

And of course now I'm off to the pit, but my MTA should get service so I can do a little OTTing.

Molpy on!

hyperbole

Yay, you've been stuck in the past far too long! Glad you found a portal and can finally molp about with us here.

And macraw! Congrats on a most glorious and triumphant blitz.
ChronosDragon! That Pun Sawyer manip was hilarious.
pelrigg wrote:@ yappo: I hope you had a seaish, treeish time at your festival. Hope you didn't get wet or cold while you were there. (Or is that part of the fun????)

Yes to all three.
pelrigg wrote:Rather than making this a "Hi/Bye" post, here's a few t-shirt slogans that popped into my brainpan while driving home from work (and both my brain cells thought I should share them):

--"TEAM CUEGAN"

--"TEAM MEGBALL"

--"Time waits for no one... but I Waited for Time" {with "xkcd 1190" underneath.}

Awesomeful ideas! TEAM MEGBALL!
And awesomeful shirt realisation from BlitzGirl. Wrong team though ;)
ucim wrote:Seems I'm Pope - Decree: tales about your favorite vanished feature.

Google Maps' functionality. For a long time now it's not worked for me at all. It stays frozen in the same spot, can't move it or do anything with it at all. So I just use Bing maps instead now.

Also, BBC iPlayer's downloadable software that allows you to download TV shows to watch in your own time. It used to be called iPlayer Desktop and it was pretty cool. You could set things to "series record" so that certain shows would automatically download. Also, if you pause in the middle of something and close the program or whatever, it would remember your place and resume it. But they've since revamped it and it's now called iPlayer Downloads, and "series record" is no longer a feature so you have to remember to download each show every time, and it no longer remembers your place and just goes back to the beginning. Also a few other menu items and customisable stuff has been removed. I presume they were attempting to simplify and "streamline" it, but it just sucks now...

Also the facebook app on my ipod touch has gotten more and more crashy over time. Now I pretty much can't open any external link without it closing down. Sometimes it just closes completely randomly.

And bookface's general leaning towards trying to decide for you what you want to see and not showing you other stuff...
azule wrote:"If you see her, say hi." - yappo can just say hi to every girl he sees. I'm sure that's what he was going to do anyways. ;) If not, he should. "Hi, are you friends with a hamply? No? Would you like to be?" (I don't know that that means anything, but it made me laugh.) "Okay, how about an otter?" (Yes, lowercase.)

NoMouse wrote:Bonusgif, with more molpies:
Spoiler:

:mrgreen: Awesomeful!
HES wrote:"Hotdogs on a raftcastle" would be a terrible film. And not the good kind of terrible that makes the original watchable.

"HotdONGs on a raftcastle", on the other hand, belongs firmly in the back room of the video store.

:azule:
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

HES

Postby HES » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:55 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:it rained rather Zancleanly on Saturnip/Sunday mornip and I had a few puddles in my tent.

Ah, yes. Ex-hurricane Bertha dumping the rest of her rain before getting to me :twisted: (I was left with rather unmolpish winds though, which made cycling and hamplyballing rather *ndish.)

Yesterdip's task is complete. Todips task was dealing with some mustard, but it turns out it was actually misunderstood custard so that's done too. 35%.
He/Him/His Image

NoMouse

Re: I'm not blind anymore but I can't see straight either.

Postby NoMouse » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:02 pm UTC

azule wrote:NoMouse - Neat pictopost. So, France has our Statue of Liberty held hostage? OMd, what will we do?!

It's epsilon, to give someone a gift and then steel it back, right? Anyway, this one was in the birthplace of Frédéric Auguste Bartholdi, the sculptor who designed the statue (while Eiffel designed the construction). There seem to be about at least ten other Statues of Liberty just in France.

---

A few newpages back, there was a decree about vanished features. The current talk about changed Facebug comments behavior reminded me of something I've discovered today. In the last few days, I suddenly started mistakenly closing tabs in Firefox. At first I was like "Oh, ch*rp" and continued browsing. But today, I have realized that the reason why I keep closing tabs on mistake is because there are close buttons on all of my tabs. Which is the default state but I was sure I have changed this somehow, so that there were no close buttons at all (I use middle mouse button to close tabs). I wasn't sure if I did it via some extension, so maybe the extension stopped working, I thought. I found nothing. So I googled it up and it turned out it was a hidden option in about:config that I have changed (browser.tabs.closeButtons set to "2"). So I checked this setting and to my surprise, it was still set to "2". Epsilon. Maybe some extension has interfered with this function? I turned off some of the extensions which I thought could be causing it but still nothing. I googled again and - *gasp* - have found, that Firefox has deleted this little feature in the last version (31.0). WHY?, I asked myself. And what I found blew my mind. So apparently, someone thought that this feature was a bug. Like... what? A bug? How can a feature be a bug? The feature wasn't breaking anything. You can look yourself for the reasoning the person who "reported" this "bug" used. It seems like complete nonsense to me. I just can't understand this. So now I have to use yet another extension, to bring this feature back. Of course, there's always the danger this extension will stop working after some update and no one will fix it. :?
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Re: Anyone seen June Bug recently?

Postby Earthling on Mars » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:16 pm UTC

HES wrote:
Spoiler:
azule wrote:
HES wrote:For decree, I always remove my signature when posting outside ICT.
Why? I did that once, but since then only for certain reasons. Those reasons even apply here. Usually it's for when I start a new thread and want there to be focus on the content/instructions and not my sig.
"outside ICT" usually means FaiD, where a) my signOTTure isn't relevant and b) I'm usually writing shorter, conversational posts where it gets in the way.

I always turn my signature off in Forum Games, because it's so seaish. Not so much when I post in General though; I post there rarely enough that I don't figure it gets in the way too much.

I don't understand what the ONG is doing. (Aerial view?)

Edit: Oh, binary round number milestone.
Last edited by Earthling on Mars on Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:09 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

HES

Postby HES » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:18 pm UTC

The latest version of Firefox (Actually, a couple of versions ago since they burn through version numbers like mopies to a grapevine) mustarded a lot of stuff up, including removing perfectly useful features from herebedragons. There's probably an add-on to fix it.
He/Him/His Image

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:35 pm UTC

Yappo! Treeish to see you!

yappobiscuits wrote:Also not RELATED but felt like sharing, one of the highlights of the festival was comedy-medieval-metal band Jaldaboath (or "heraldic templar metal" as they call themselves). Imagine Monty Python and the Holy Grail/Blackadder meets a metal band. They were most hilarious and I think some OTTers might appreciate them (i.e. those who are fans of comedy music i.e. Angelastic). Have some songs.
I'll have to check them out when I get home from work, that sounds molpish.

yappobiscuits wrote:And macraw! Congrats on a most glorious and triumphant blitz.
Thanks! I still have a few things that I skipped (mostly regular installments such as TLTW and AOTC that I felt would be best Blitzed all at once) but I'm glad to finally be back in the Now.

yappobiscuits wrote:So I just use Bing maps instead now.
:shock:

HES wrote:Yesterdip's task is complete. Todips task was dealing with some mustard, but it turns out it was actually misunderstood custard so that's done too. 35%.
Good luck, HES! I know it'll be great once it's done.

@NoMouse: I know this is only a treatment rather than a preventative measure, but if you're not aware of it, ctrl-shift-T reopens the last tab you closed (and seems to be able to continue through your past closed tabs further than my attention span will allow).

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:41 pm UTC

macraw83 wrote:

What am I meant to do? Try to use Google maps even though it's completely non-functional? It's a desperate measure I know, but at least it works!

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:48 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
macraw83 wrote:

What am I meant to do? Try to use Google maps even though it's completely non-functional? It's a desperate measure I know, but at least it works!
I... I really don't know... I suppose I should consider myself fortunate that I've never gotten to that point. Though, not having used either, I'd probably go to Yahoo! Maps first, just considering it's not Bing. But then again, Microsoft has lots more money to throw at problems, so...

ETA: I just performed an informal study, and I think I like the layout and appearance of Bing Maps more than Yahoo! Maps.
Last edited by macraw83 on Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:51 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:50 pm UTC

New googlemaps,
right bottom corner,
question mark icon,
"back to classic Google Maps",
Old googlemaps
oldgmaps.PNG
oldgmaps.PNG (15.83 KiB) Viewed 13227 times
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

HES

Postby HES » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:53 pm UTC

Why do you need maps? "Down the river, second tributary on the left. If you reach the sea you've gone too far"
He/Him/His Image

Sustainabilizer

It seems, HES saw her on facebug.

Postby Sustainabilizer » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:55 pm UTC

Earthling on Mars wrote:Edit: Oh, binary round number milestone.

Indeed. :) Happy 1000000000!
You may open your spoiler now.

For decree: The Rosetta space probe carries a Rosetta Disk.
Spoiler:
Wikipedia wrote:It has an estimated longevity of 10000 years.
Last edited by Sustainabilizer on Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:10 pm UTC, edited 4 times in total.
Confused about the OTT? See the Wiki!
Want more 1190: Time? Check out TimeAfterTime!
There is a MIRROR of the OTT, just in case.
Thanks for participating in my Scientific Conference and OTTer Meetup!
Help for addams completed successfully. Thanks!

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:56 pm UTC

HES wrote:Why do you need maps? "Down the river, second tributary on the left. If you reach the sea you've gone too far"
Not all of us are otters who frequently moonlight as a hamply, river navigation doesn't necessarily come naturally.

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:58 pm UTC

macraw83 wrote:@NoMouse: I know this is only a treatment rather than a preventative measure, but if you're not aware of it, ctrl-shift-T reopens the last tab you closed (and seems to be able to continue through your past closed tabs further than my attention span will allow).

Yes, I know this, I even use a mouse gesture for it. I even have a closed-tabs-button on the right, like it was in Opera, where I can see all the closed tabs listed. But it's still annoying. Especially when you close a tab you're not on and don't even notice it at first. And then when reopening, the tab takes focus and you have to switch to your original tab. It sound like trifle but when it happens on regular basis, it's pretty annoying and it breaks my workflow. Not to mention that the close buttons take space so less text can be displayed on the tabs.

Regarding Google Maps - the new version is not bad in everything but there are some annoyances. First, they have completely dropped the 45-degree view functionality. Second, it's slower, even on a decent fast machine and fast internet connection. And third - that annoying strip with photos which takes a lot of screen space opens every time I switch to satellite view ("Earth" actually) and have to close it again and again. The best thing about the new Google Maps is that you can still switch to the old Google Maps (under the help button). Ninja'd by balthasaur on this.

Regarding Bing maps - they are completely unusable here where I live.
Last edited by NoMouse on Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:00 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:New googlemaps,
right bottom corner,
question mark icon,
Old googlemaps
oldgmaps.PNG

Nope, literally nothing works, can't even open menus.

I hereby relinquish popedom to the next poster.

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:03 pm UTC

NoMouse wrote:[FF tabs rant]

That sounds frustrating. I don't use FireFox anymore as I've found Chrome to generally be more stable. Chrome at least only activates the "close tab" button on the active tab, but it still reserves the space for it on the inactive tabs, eliminating space for text.

ETA: I decree that yappo is still pope.

Molpy on.
Last edited by macraw83 on Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:04 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
right bottom corner,
question mark icon,
Old googlemaps
oldgmaps.PNG

Nope, literally nothing works, can't even open menus.

Try this: https://maps.google.com/?output=classic

HES

Postby HES » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:08 pm UTC

NoMouse wrote:First, they have completely dropped the 45-degree view functionality

Eh? I agree on the other points, but I can only use 45-degree view on the new one.
You have to be in Earth view.
He/Him/His Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:11 pm UTC

Thanks NoMouse, that seems to function.

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:13 pm UTC

macraw83 wrote:I know this is only a treatment rather than a preventative measure, but if you're not aware of it, ctrl-shift-T reopens the last tab you closed (and seems to be able to continue through your past closed tabs further than my attention span will allow).
Wowtreeish! Works in Seamonkey too. I really wish these hidden features were documented somewhere. It's not like it would take much - just (I suppose) discovering them in the first place.

While I'm at it, it used to be that Seamonkey (a mozilla browser) would scroll down to where you were upon reload. Now it doesn't. So, I can't just reload my tabs, I have to open each one, scroll to the bottom, and THEN click reload (the page) so I know where I am. This is (of course) most used in the One True Thread, but there are other places it steambottles.

I miss AOL instant messenger. Actually, what I miss is everyone being on it, which is what made it useful. I can run IM software that logs me into it, but people don't seem to do IMs anymore. Texting is the thing, and I don't see paying 25c per message for something I could get free.
Spoiler:
Verizon does give you 500 free text per year, if you ask nicely, but it didn't use to, and I wasn't going to pay extra to get something that I used to have for free, that costs Verizon next to nothing, and that I don't want to use anyway (I hardly use cell phones). /rant
As to google maps and bing, there's also openstreetmap.org and I like their philosophy. Their coverage isn't quite as seaish as the commercial products though. Google maps has a feature that lets you print the map "with more detail", but I can't find it. Google reminds me to use that feature whenever I try to copy a map any other way. I find the best least bad riverishest steambottle way is to just press the PrintScreen button and print the resulting screen image.

right bottom corner,
question mark icon,
Old googlemaps
... until they stop supporting it. I'm still angry at what they did to google docs, though it led to developing my own web site.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:23 pm UTC

HES wrote:
NoMouse wrote:First, they have completely dropped the 45-degree view functionality

Eh? I agree on the other points, but I can only use 45-degree view on the new one.
You have to be in Earth view.

Oh, wow. Thanks for this. They have added it back! It wasn't there before, I'm completely sure. I was searching on the web and found people complaining about the same. That was probably several months ago, though.

ETA: False alarm. It seems to tilt the view but it does not show the actual aerial photos taken from 45 degree, like the old maps did. And it stopped working on the old maps for me too. :?
ETA2: No, they do work on the old maps. I was just too zoomed out.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:45 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
macraw83 wrote:

mapquest.com? (Not my first choice either, but MSWFP uses it, and seems to like it.)
Thanks for the back to classic guidance, though I fear that option may disappear at some point.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:37 pm UTC

121ONG:

Looking at the latest ONG sequence, I believe we are zooming out!

yappobiscuits wrote:I hereby relinquish popedom to the next poster.
macraw83 wrote:ETA: I decree that yappo is still pope.

Agh! It's a loop!

ETA: I just got a bit of foramustard...
Spoiler:
General Error

SQL ERROR [ postgres ]

Errno 2: pg_connect(): Unable to connect to PostgreSQL server: could not connect to server: Connection refused Is the server running on host "192.168.152.1" and accepting TCP/IP connections on port 5432? at [ROOT]/includes/db/postgres.php line 108 []

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:39 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

I decree that I'm not making a decree

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:44 pm UTC

macraw83 wrote:
HES wrote:Why do you need maps? "Down the river, second tributary on the left. If you reach the sea you've gone too far"
Not all of us are otters who frequently moonlight as a hamply, river navigation doesn't necessarily come naturally.
Yes, river navigation by moonlight is tricky.
macraw83 wrote:
NoMouse wrote:[FF tabs rant]

That sounds frustrating. I don't use FireFox anymore as I've found Chrome to generally be more stable. Chrome at least only activates the "close tab" button on the active tab, but it still reserves the space for it on the inactive tabs, eliminating space for text.

ETA: I decree that yappo is still pope.

Molpy on.

I've used Chrome for quite a while (well Chromium now) and I rarely accidentally close a tab. BTW, the close tab buttons do work on any tab, active or not.
But I use ctrl+shift+t quite a bit to reopen tabs I closed intentionally, so using it for occasional accidents doesn't really bother my workflow.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:55 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Looking at the latest ONG sequence, I believe we are zooming out!
... or the camera operator is tied to the tail of one of the battery rockets, which has become sentient and taken off by itself. It will fly to Earth, go out of control, and hit the Rock of Gibraltar, which will collapse into the strait. Thus begins Time.

BlitzGirl wrote:ETA: I just got a bit of foramustard...
At least they are using a decent database. Alas, they didn't trap for access errors. I wonder if the message gives hackers any useful info.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:28 am UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:Since we are only a few here at the moment, I thought I'd entertain you with a puzzle.

A man in desert nomadic lands was once quite rich, but died owning only 23 camels (camelMolpies). He had three sons and his will directed that the first son should receive half of his camels, the second one-third and the last son one-eigth of the camels.

The law was very strict in those days and the sons also wanted to honor their father's wishes without "dividing" any of the individual camels.

They searched long and hard for a solution, without success.

A wise person rode into their village on a camel and helped them find the answer. Are you that wise person?

Having only just read this, I'd like to offer my substantially-late possible solution...

Spoiler:
Converting to a common base:
The first son gets "12/24" of the camel total.
The second son gets "8/24" of the total.
The third son gets "3/24" of the total.

There are 23 camels initially, so these fractions wouldn't make sense, but the wise man adds his camel to the total, which bumps up the total to 24.
Therefore, the first son takes 12 camels, the second son takes 8, the third son takes 3; those add up to the original 23 camels. The 24th goes back to the wise man, who loses nothing while helping them solve their problem.

Is this correct?
I am Schrödinger's Gingercat.

Eternal Density

I LIKE MY WOMEN LIKE I LIKE MY LEGO: COVERED IN FLUTTERBEES

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:40 am UTC

Gingercat wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:Since we are only a few here at the moment, I thought I'd entertain you with a puzzle.

A man in desert nomadic lands was once quite rich, but died owning only 23 camels (camelMolpies). He had three sons and his will directed that the first son should receive half of his camels, the second one-third and the last son one-eigth of the camels.

The law was very strict in those days and the sons also wanted to honor their father's wishes without "dividing" any of the individual camels.

They searched long and hard for a solution, without success.

A wise person rode into their village on a camel and helped them find the answer. Are you that wise person?

Having only just read this, I'd like to offer my substantially-late possible solution...

Spoiler:
Converting to a common base:
The first son gets "12/24" of the camel total.
The second son gets "8/24" of the total.
The third son gets "3/24" of the total.

There are 23 camels initially, so these fractions wouldn't make sense, but the wise man adds his camel to the total, which bumps up the total to 24.
Therefore, the first son takes 12 camels, the second son takes 8, the third son takes 3; those add up to the original 23 camels. The 24th goes back to the wise man, who loses nothing while helping them solve their problem.

Is this correct?
Yes.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:12 am UTC

Page 800, and that beesnake is getting suspiciously close to Megan...

Edit: Ah, it wasn't a Beesnake, it was a Facebug :lol:

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:43 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:I hereby relinquish popedom to the next poster.
macraw83 wrote:ETA: I decree that yappo is still pope.

Agh! It's a loop!
That's what I was going for :lol: (Well, that and I was hoping yappo might respond with something witty)

Eternal Density wrote:BTW, the close tab buttons do work on any tab, active or not.
Ah, well, that may be the case normally, but not when the tabs are small. I am constantly either having tons of open tabs in each window, or using small windows because I'm at work and don't want to have various non-work things showing up in all 24"(x2) of monitor space for when people walk by, or both, so I never see the buttons except on the active tab :P

Oh, and it looks like Gingercat is Blitzing pretty quickly here as of late (or maybe at least a lot faster than I was)

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:59 am UTC

macraw83 wrote:(Well, that and I was hoping yappo might respond with something witty)
He did. You just have to
Spoiler:
Jose

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

MINIMEHT SUMMONED

Postby AluisioASG » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:16 am UTC

Corinne! We need you here in the Present!
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:24 am UTC

I'm sure Corinne will show up eventually if we
Spoiler:
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

MAXIMUM KETCHUP YIELDS MAXIMUM WOWTREES

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:53 am UTC

Or we could deploy the
Spoiler:

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:08 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Or we could deploy the
Spoiler:
Careful, it has a button called "I'm feeling Lucky".

I don't think I want to feel Lucky. Or to have Lucky feel me. :)

Jose

Eternal Density

I FIND YOUR LACK OF COMAS DISTURBING

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:17 am UTC

ucim wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:Or we could deploy the
Spoiler:
Careful, it has a button called "I'm feeling Lucky".

I don't think I want to feel Lucky. Or to have Lucky feel me. :)

Jose

Happy CH*RPING 2300th!

(contains seaish unmolpish ch*rpies)
Spoiler:

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:49 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
ucim wrote:Does BlitzGirl update her location
to show that this thread's her vocation?
It's always in sync
with the present, I think.
That's been my preoccupation.

Jose hit it right on the nose
As far as my location goes
As soon as I've read
A newpage, I head
To update that part so it shows

Aye, and I.

ChronosDragon wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:There's no newpage as newpage-y
As Newpage Sixty-One
We One-dered 'bout a "newpix"
How should one refer to one?
We parried for a fewpix
But when all was said and done
In the debate for how we view pix
"Newpix" has surely one

One won one, in that one. One wonders if one'd have one if won won instead.

This reminds me of something... Must be said out loud for full effect:

"OneOne was a racehorse; TwoTwo was one too. OneOne won one race, TwoTwo won one too!" --> "1 1 was a racehorse; 2 2 was 1 2. 1 1 1 1 race; 2 2 1 1 2!"

(There's a small 'snap!' sound from the vicinity of the cat's box.)

Running scans... Sanity check: FAILED

(An alarm sounds in the facility...)

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:55 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Happy CH*RPING 2300th!
Thanks! :) I hadn't even noticed. I'm supposed to say something obscene, but I guess I missed that chance. Ch*rpin' Must*rd!

Happy 3800 to you - you're getting pretty close. But you'll have to
Spoiler:

Jose

Link

PUT SPOILERCAKE ON VOLDEFRAME

Postby Link » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:31 am UTC

Well, I'm off to go camping. See all'y'all in a wip!

balthasar_s

bftf-0122

Postby balthasar_s » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:55 am UTC

THIS NEEDLE-PULLED THONG IS NOW ABOUT REDUNDANT BEESNAKES. DISCUSS. -- mome
Spoiler:
I'd highly recommend following the first commandment.
-- posted by newpixbothasar_p

Edited to update URL
Last edited by balthasar_s on Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:14 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”