1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Soup

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Soup » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:43 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:<More answery stuff!>

Wowterful, and my FakeMustardPost posted here at :07! Thanks BalthaBot!

POPE EDIT: And since I'm now excited for the next mustard to properly use the mirror ... :evil:

Mustard!

Or Mustard!

Or Even Mustard!

Spoiler:
And "Mustard" no longer sounds like a word. :?
Waiting for it...

Go username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, Rakhal, thunk!!

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:27 pm UTC

What is this mirror?
When/why should I use it?
What is its locale?

Edited to haiku
Last edited by HAL9000 on Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:29 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:28 pm UTC

Febrion wrote:
mikrit wrote:
SBN wrote:
HES wrote:Even those of us whose careers concern sustainability can't come up with a solid definition.

Remember ttscp's sig:
“Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.”
That's a long way toward a good definition, but even with that, knowing what, exactly, increases the survival chances is still hard to suss out.

It is hard to figure out what's the largest group I am a part of. Hm. Not left-handed Swedes. Not Europeans. Not human beings. Not mammals. Not vertebrates. Not animals. Maybe carbon-based life forms? No, carbon-or-silicon-based life forms could be larger group. Lumps of opaque matter currently existing inside the observable universe...

Stuff1

1See, I can be concise2
BUh oh, maybe not...19
76Run while you still can!

Oddly, I agree. If the fate of the universe (stuff) is somehow at risk (think Terry Pratchett's Moving Pictures or Thief of Time) then that is what you're working toward preventing. Making common cause with rocks, although they probably don't appreciate it.

If the fate of the universe is not at risk, then - I think I said this somewhere - you work toward the survival of the next largest group.

And, yes, figuring out what the best course for survival is, can be very difficult. I like that part too. It is all too easy to take action on simplistic ideas which can't begin to model the very complicated real world.

Okay, I have been basemented (is that the proper term these days?) for a while now, but I felt my ears burning.

Edit: typo take => tack
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

NoMouse

I hope no mustard will happen

Postby NoMouse » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:40 pm UTC

Landing on Rosetta's stones is planned on tomorrow! If everything goes well, Philae (Rosetta's landing module) should land at about 4 PM (GMT). Live stream from the mission control center already began here. (Not much is happening yet though, just music playing. You have to follow the first commandment.)

*fingers crossed*t

sin spaaace
tActually, *holding my thumbs*, that's what we do here.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:57 pm UTC

kxa says somethONG heretical!

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:15 am UTC

Welcome back tman2nd! And ttscp! and Rosewinsall! It's been a while!

Treeish Balthasource Balty! I like seeing how things emerge.

tman2nd wrote:What have I missed besides the ending of the OTT?
You speak heresy! It is certainly not the OTT that has ended, but the first part of the OTC. For your failure to follow the first commandment, I sentence you to the chocolate vat! Bet they don't have that in the basement!

Sustainablizer wrote:As a starting point: For a while, some years ago, I contributed to some German Usenet⁵ Groups. One of the main differences to the OTT was the use of “Read the FAQ before you post!” instead of “Welcome, Revealer the Recent!”.
This leads to a thought. In many usenet groups, members post because they want something from the group. An answer to a question perhaps, or validation/criticism of their ideas, or something... something that the group is "supposed to" provide. That is not the case here. We originally came to talk about a comic and though the answer/validation/criticism could in theory apply, the thread moved too fast for a "read the thread/FAQ" to even be possible in real time. Even so, there were some heated exchanges that threatened to turn into something more. But by this time a community had become established, whose members valued the community over anything the community could "do" for the member, leading to quenching actions which succeeded. This IMHO more than anything set the tone.

Sustainablizer wrote:Exactly. The OTT is very special. But how did it become like this? And can we reproduce the miracle when setting up a new online community?
I don't think you can, except in artificial cases. One doens't set up a community for the purpose of being self-sustaining. One sets it up for some other purpose, and then tries to help it be self-sustaining. I think it's the complex interaction of members, the "other" purpose, luck, and timing that leads to sustainability. It's a question of people's attitudes towards the forum, and that's heavily dependent on the purpose of it.

mikrit wrote:To my surprise, the flame bait generated just one or two replies, and then we just continued discussing Time. It was very interesting, but I have no idea why it happened.
I'd say the Zanclean pace played into it. There just wasn't time for flames because there was so much Time.

Soup wrote:POPE EDIT: And since I'm now excited for the next mustard to properly use the mirror ... :evil:

Mustard!

Or Mustard!

Or Even Mustard!

First Cleric ninja'd you.
First Cleric wrote:Mustard makes the world go round
Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

ergman

angelastic would be proud

Postby ergman » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:17 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:What is this mirror?
Where is it's locale?

haiku'd, because it was already so close.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

Soup

Re: angelastic would be proud

Postby Soup » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:45 am UTC

ergman wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:What is this mirror?
Where is it's locale?

haiku'd, because it was already so close.

Created by Balthasar_the_Many, and maintained by Balthabot. I'd heard of it before and had a vague idea of it's purpose, but only ventured to use it todip after hearing of a certain party I'd missed out on. Whenever there's mustard on the forumMustard, you can post there, and as Baltha_the_Wise has explained, it caches the posts and dumps them in the OTT when the mustard's fixed!Fixed

Mustard Won't load, various error codeses
Fixed Or, "fixed."

Redunda
Spoiler:
6a010535647bf3970b01a73d87b9ab970d-800mu.jpg
6a010535647bf3970b01a73d87b9ab970d-800mu.jpg (21.83 KiB) Viewed 10675 times

PREVIEW EDIT: Left in "codeses," because I seem to like it :mrgreen:
EDITEDIT: "Redunda"
Last edited by Soup on Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:47 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting for it...

ergman

Postby ergman » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:47 am UTC

uh... I don't think you've fully demustarded that post. but hey, it's the decree! :P
edit: I was the mustard! it was me! I forgot what Hal9000's haiku was actually about, so caught up I was in the structure of it.

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

Soup

Postby Soup » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:53 am UTC

^^ I don't see any unintentional mustard, unless my only-as-of-today understanding is way off :?

Preview Ninja'd :lol:

ETA: Hi, HAL9000! Hi, ttscp!

Silly ergman!
Waiting for it...

ergman

Postby ergman » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:09 am UTC

silly ergman indeed! I didn't even parse that ttscp was actually back because we had been talking about him recently. welcome forward! put out your ears!

Soup

Postby Soup » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:19 am UTC

ergman wrote:welcome forward! put out your ears!

:shock:

EDIT, Oh, because they were burning. My first thought was more like this :oops:
Last edited by Soup on Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:22 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting for it...

Kazza3

Postby Kazza3 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:19 am UTC

Hi there OTT,

Good to see you're kicking along, and even better to see you're having a meetup! And tying it into a conference on online communities, very clever idea and potentially a very interesting one. Thankyou, micdi, for the invitation (I was surprised!) but unless I happen to find myself in Europe in February, which seems rather unlikely (to put it mildly), it's not for me.

Thanks again, and have fun,
Kazza

Eternal Density

WE'RE GONNA NEED A MORE SEAISH MOOLPY

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:30 am UTC

The OTT is really raptorish todip!
Last edited by Eternal Density on Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:50 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:50 am UTC

balthasar_s wrote:
tman2nd wrote:Hi. I'm back. Don't have time to blitz, and i can't go to that meet-up, but I'm back! What have I missed besides the ending of the OTT?
:shock: time after Time, especially t1i. And some other things. When were you here last time?

Back when Cuegan was talking to the beanie who could sort of understand them.

ucim wrote:
tman2nd wrote:What have I missed besides the ending of the OTT?
You speak heresy! It is certainly not the OTT that has ended, but the first part of the OTC. For your failure to follow the first commandment, I sentence you to the chocolate vat! Bet they don't have that in the basement!

Oh, no! What a terrible mustard! I meant to say OTC. I've been gone for far too long!
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

Soup

Postby Soup » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:01 am UTC

Welcome back, tman2nd! It's pretty comfy over here in this chair. Plenty of sweets, just mind the crenelated scones. I do think there's a chocolate fountain around here ... somewhere...

ETA: @ED, ICWYDT :wink:
Waiting for it...

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:15 am UTC

Lots of debasementees! Hello everymolpy! :D

mikrit wrote:
Spoiler:
HES wrote:
mikrit wrote:we know from the highest authority that ducks should be aligned in columns, not rows.

Alternatively circles.
- Varför simmar ankorna i en lång rad?
- Det står ju på skylten där, "ankring förbjuden"!
Spoiler:

Eternal Density wrote:Blitzus Annoyus?

If it affects the next NPs too: yes. If not, it might be fine because of the decree. In this case, you could also remove the mustard here and add it in a closer-to-goat post.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:28 am UTC

Welcome back, debasementees! As temporary as your presence is, it is welcomed nonetheless. Temporariness is an artifact of Time, and that's a fact. :shock:

I'm writing bits here and there for the speech-type-thing, Sustainabilizer. It's in a really rough draft format. Format pending.

I feel exposed through my prose. :shock:

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Eternal Density

SAVE THE BLUENHANCEMENT, SAVE THE WORLD

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:51 am UTC

We've replaced ED's m*stard with a prophecy of something Timelike. Let's see if he notices.
Last edited by Eternal Density on Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:20 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

balthasar_s

Re: angelastic would be proud

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:01 am UTC

Soup wrote:Created by Balthasar_the_Many, and maintained by Balthabot. I'd heard of it before and had a vague idea of it's purpose, but only ventured to use it todip after hearing of a certain party I'd missed out on. Whenever there's mustard on the forumMustard, you can post there, and as Baltha_the_Wise has explained, it caches the posts and dumps them in the OTT when the mustard's fixed!Fixed
It also saves all posts/avatars/images/attachment from the OTT so when there is mustard you can still read the OTT from the mirror.
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:27 am UTC

Looks like GLR is following the decree: http://www.xkcd.com/1446/

Also the title text is " ... " Maybe it'll change to "Run" if we "wait for it".

ETA: The new other comic seems to be updating on 83.3333... millinewpix intervals!!!!! Everyone, prepare your bots! We have a live updating Rosetta comic to follow.
Last edited by slinches on Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:39 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:33 am UTC

OMR THERE'S A NEW XKCD!

The url for the image is http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/landing/r_0 ... ADopvO.png
...which looks suspiciously like something generated by a script. Is it changing? I didn't check it at midnight.

HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE

Edit: ENHANCE!ing revealed nothing; it is just a blank white image.

EDIT EDIT: IT IS CHANGING!

Title text is still "..."

First image recorded for posterity:

Current image:

The comic is obviously about Rosetta! IT'S ALL RELATED!!! :D :D :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by taixzo on Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:38 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:36 am UTC

"Three hours to separation".

I got that by going back one and then forward one. I also looked at the source, and it looks like it has detritus from the previous comic.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:38 am UTC

r_00-35-00_lVC98SMY1X.png

Ninjad
BSTA
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:41 am UTC

It's updating fast and furious! New image:

Oh, hey, I seem to have passed 1100 posts at some point. Ch*rp.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:42 am UTC

This would be the perfect opportunity to give us some more Beanish while we
Spoiler:
wait for it.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:46 am UTC

New image!

I wonder what the update interval is. It doesn't seem to be updating on the ten-minute marks, and I haven't seen it change so I don't know the exact interval.
Last edited by taixzo on Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:48 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:47 am UTC

Well ... I remember this one Time ...

Eternal Density

QUESTIONABLE CARCASS'S CLOSED DUE TO NEWPICES

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:48 am UTC

And here I am with an internet not allowed to load images for another dip. Very inconvenient Timing.
ETA
Moved a bit further down the NP again:
Spoiler:
Edited to remove Blitzus Annoyus tag m*stard, because it's also Botus Annoyus.
Last edited by Eternal Density on Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:22 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:50 am UTC

BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:50 am UTC

It seems to update every 0.083 nopix (newpix?) (5 minutesH 1446). Anymolpy who has a bot ready that can be rededicated?
Last edited by ZoomanSP on Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:51 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Wait on.

Spoiler:

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:51 am UTC

Let's be sure to track 1446's title-text. Currently it is "..." and it was the same last frame as well.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:52 am UTC

Is GLR talking to himself in his own comic?

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:53 am UTC

Molpy spotted!

Spoiler:
molpy.png
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:53 am UTC

Here's a RELATED link:
Rosetta | rendezvous with a comet
Wait on.

Spoiler:

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:53 am UTC

The bad thing is that it doesn't work without Javascript (which generates the image URL). That makes writing a bot for it very difficult. Maybe an browser-userscript-bot?
ETA: 3 posts when I was writing this.
BSTA

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:54 am UTC

also, hash seems to be self-aware - current one containes "Whoaxd"?

Edit: back to white:

Molpy is still present!
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:56 am UTC

I assume there are quite a few xkcd fans working at ESA. I hope they don't get distracted...
Wait on.

Spoiler:

mscha

Time Randomly Revisited - np241

Postby mscha » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:00 am UTC

GORONGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:IT'S-A-ME, BRAVEBEAN!

-- posted by randompixbot

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:01 am UTC

Molpy is getting BIGGER.

BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”