1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ergman

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ergman » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:32 pm UTC

that "eraser on a pencil" theory is looking pretty strong right now.

late edit: ImagePope! if there's any room left on the page, gimme a photo of the pope with an eraser on top.
Last edited by ergman on Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:29 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

mrob27

A TURTLEMOLPY IS OTTISH TOO

Postby mrob27 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:12 pm UTC

Sorry, @lmjb1964, by {making my redundant statement of {your statement of {the robot being outside the fence}}} I didn't mean to {make people think that {you hadn't said that before}}, rather I was hoping to {call attention to something {that everyone else, except probably you, seems to be ignoring}, namely the idea that {it (the robot) could have been running in and out (of the "quarantine zone") the whole time}}.
  As for why is it not WALL•PY, maybe that's because the stick of dynamite is missing now (although it seems to still be there in the second sighting, frame t-1_0137).

I'm thinking that this is an accident in the making, involving a refueling truck and dynamite that goes off before the planned time.

lmjb1964 wrote:Are they refilling the ink in the seismograph.

Apparently it needs more black pixels. Perhaps we're reading it wrong: the "seismograph" is a projector that sends black pixels out into the world, allowing black things such as molpies and trees to spring into existence and grow. But Cueball shows up and slips and falls, causing the toner to spill all over everything and flood the world with black toner, thus begins Time.

— mrob27 Image
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:02 pm UTC

:azule:

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

mscha

Time After Time: t-1_0159

Postby mscha » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:30 pm UTC

SICKENONGLY...
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

Code: Select all

LiYhNSsjPCQKNigbJRwWKyMcHBcSGhMNEg0JCggGPTIpMTMxCyAdNBcYQS4dAhgZKxwhEC4uARAPAgcZUA0TAxkkSTwyHgcSTkE2T0ZAJBgOLxQMBAsiOSoZVUY6QzEfRTYpBCkpRygnUjwpUzs1WEIsKgcYWkxCXlFFZ1dJb15QNAkcd2VVcF9QcVlMinVkORMjkHpoOwwiRQUbRgwnY003VgYqSRcqUhgtThoxUiMtTw4wTiQxWSQ4WBk1WQwzVyUbYyU7bgEBbxcTbyIdbTUwaEg9ciokcUxDZE1CckQ8cQAAXTVBgyMddWBNgm5dhUI4hlpMYhk5hHBfYgs0.png
ENHANCE!
-- posted by newpixbot

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Re: A TURTLEMOLPY IS OTTISH TOO

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:44 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:Sorry, @lmjb1964, by {making my redundant statement of {your statement of {the robot being outside the fence}}} I didn't mean to {make people think that {you hadn't said that before}}, rather I was hoping to {call attention to something {that everyone else, except probably you, seems to be ignoring}, namely the idea that {it (the robot) could have been running in and out (of the "quarantine zone") the whole time}}.

Especially since it looks like the fence ends a foot off the ground. Our Wall*py would have no problem getting through.

Here's what I see happening in the black and white ONGs: When they first show the seismograph, we see a big event just scrolling off. Presumably Short Beanie ran to tell Tall Beanie there was some activity. Then it looks like something else is happening--some new squiggles start up on the right. They just stay there, not scrolling left, so the Beanies realize the thing needs more pixels/ink/liquid magic to make it start running again. You can see that squiggle has started scrolling to the left.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:17 pm UTC

Click to view full panorama.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:31 pm UTC

Very cool. I forgot about the straight edge on the left-hand side. Are they way in the future of the hiddenONGs, on top of one of those buildings that has since been grown over? Does that pink truck contain toxins that will be buried, only to show up later in the BlueCave?

:shock: Are one of those BraveBean? The signs on the hiddenONGs warn of radioactive material. (Ok, there's no radioactive sign). The materials were stored/buried, and then forgotten. The seismic activity in the B&W ONGs open up the place whether they've been buried, and plants and animals start to get radiation sickness. BraveBean goes to investigate, but falls victim to radiation poisoning. Thus ends BraveBean, but starts the SilentONGs.

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

mscha

Time After Time: t-1_0160

Postby mscha » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:30 pm UTC

ONGL...
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

KyMcLicgJRwWNSgbPCQLQiwcHBYSPTIpLRQgOCsYBxYiESwtBSkpJTEyEw0JGhMNAhUYNSsjCwoHJBgOSTwyTAsVTUE2MxMcVUY6XE1BQzEeRTYoWEIsUjwoKwgZHQkSKg0LMwocOQ0iLg8gSQsqSRYsZ1dJX1BEUxgsORQkTRkyVCMuTSI0b15QVhk1UwgsRCskd2VVkXtpYw0vVQwyWCQ4YyQ+inVkUzwzYxo8Tg0wWSYZaj0ygW5dakU6ZEkyZk5BajQraisjaiMdagAAbQwLaRkVXiVAcF5Pc2BPZidCZhxBbS5EcF9QgyQehHBfhUY7hlZJAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!
-- posted by newpixbot

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:34 pm UTC

What.The.Ch*rp. That thing doesn't seem to have an engine, and no one is driving it. Did someone offscreen give it a push?

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

NoMouse

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: DEMUSTARD CH*RPITUDE

Postby NoMouse » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:55 pm UTC

Well, since it's set almost a millennium in the future, I would say it's a self-driving truck with electric hub motors inside the weird wheels or even some stranger method of propulsion.

Also, people here seem to agree that the beanie refilled the tank with inkL - I had a different idea: the seismograph is obviously propelled by something - my guess is that it's a small simple steam engine and the beanie just added water.
Or maybe there's a hamply wheel inside and the beanie was just feeding the poor hamply.

LWouldn't that be a ludicrous amount of ink? You could probably print thousands of books with such barrel of ink.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

lmjb1964

Re: ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: DEMUSTARD CH*RPITUDE

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:09 pm UTC

NoMouse wrote:Well, since it's set almost a millennium in the future, I would say it's a self-driving truck with electric hub motors inside the weird wheels or even some stranger method of propulsion.

Also, people here seem to agree that the beanie refilled the tank with inkL - I had a different idea: the seismograph is obviously propelled by something - my guess is that it's a small simple steam engine and the beanie just added water.
Or maybe there's a hamply wheel inside and the beanie was just feeding the poor hamply.

LWouldn't that be a ludicrous amount of ink? You could probably print thousands of books with such barrel of ink.

HES? Is that you in there?

I did think it might be water. Just because, who would have a bucket of ink? Also, why would the seismograph stop working altogether if it ran out of ink? It would just spit out blank paper. A steam bottleengine solves that problem nicely. :)

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

Sustainabilizer

Re: Time After Time: t-1_0160

Postby Sustainabilizer » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:27 pm UTC

mscha wrote:ONGL...
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.

I read that Beanish as:
Water. Let's go this? – Yes.
At least the word translated as “this” comes closest.
With thisthere, this sentence even makes sense.

ETA:
NoMouse wrote:… with electric hub motors inside the weird wheels …
… like the SolarCar at the Sustainable University. :)
Confused about the OTT? See the Wiki!
Want more 1190: Time? Check out TimeAfterTime!
There is a MIRROR of the OTT, just in case.
Thanks for participating in my Scientific Conference and OTTer Meetup!
Help for addams completed successfully. Thanks!

NoMouse

CROUCHING BEESNAKE, HIDDEN WOWTREE

Postby NoMouse » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:26 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:I did think it might be water. Just because, who would have a bucket of ink?

Someone working at printing works? :)

lmjb1964 wrote:Also, why would the seismograph stop working altogether if it ran out of ink? It would just spit out blank paper. A steam bottleengine solves that problem nicely. :)

Yeah, that was the second thing that didn't make much sense to me.

Sustainabilizer wrote:I read that Beanish as:

Well, there's still the possibility, that Baenish has the same word for 'water' and 'ink'... but otherwise it's a strong evidence that it was refilled to keep the seismograph spinning, not drawing. Now, what else could it be beside a steam engine? A miniature water turbine? Or water acting as coolant for other technology? (electric? nuclear? not invented yet?) Also, hamplies need water too.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

mscha

Time After Time: t-1_0161

Postby mscha » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:30 am UTC

LAUGHONGLY...
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

JRwWHBcSLicgKyMcSTwyOyQLQi4bNSsjNSgbPTIoEw0JGRMNCwkHBRYXFSorLyAPLRggJBgOHAYSSBoXTkE2NRoKRSkpXE1BVUY6RDEeBignRjYoIwcNUjspNBQdV0EsY0szKgkZOgwiMwocRwwoRgMbOhUkRxcrUw8wTBsxUQsrUhgtUC0bUiQuUxozUzs0VCU0TCQyZ1dJX1BEaEc6aSY0b15Qd2VWknxpinVkZE1Cl4Btajwyg29gVg8PaisjajQraiQdcV9QYT9AaAkVagAAaRkUdAABaRINgm5dcV1OhlZJghEOhHBfhDQsgyMchUM4AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!
-- posted by newpixbot

mrob27

REMAIN DUNEISH AND RETRONINJASPOILER FACEBUGS

Postby mrob27 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:04 am UTC

Water, ink, hamplyfood, it doesn't really matter, they're all made out of black pixels :D

@Sustainabilizer, I do read the ᓭᘖᔭᓄᐨ as water, but the ᑫᘊᘊ is berm or Gibraltar strait, as seen on the map, frame 2902.

lmjb1964 wrote:Especially since it looks like the fence ends a foot off the ground. Our Wall*py would have no problem getting through.

To me it looks like the "stop" sign is about a foot in front of the fence (notice the parallax, in earlier frames the stop sign seems to stick up above the fence, but later we see the top edge of the fence is "above" the stop sign). I do see a bit of a gap (a few inches maybe) under the gate, but no more than that: the left end of the gate casts a shadow on the ground in frames 152 and 153, making it clear that it's close to the ground.

— mrob27 Image

mscha

Time After Time: t-1_0162

Postby mscha » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:30 am UTC

PADDONGTON...
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

KyMcNSsiJBwWHBcSSTwyGhMNQS4bMCEQLicgPTIoNSgcRTYoCQcGTkE2JBgOEw0JOyQLBRgYDh8gUBEQLxcgHAgRMhkLCCYmLAoaTSIzNBQcVkc6XE5BQywkRDEeWEEsUjwoZFE+Y0crVC8cVDw0OxQkRxYrPAsjNAkdRwwqZkk7ViYrTBkyZE5BX1BDUxYuZ1dJb15QaTszVQkrVw4yd2VWYho3ZRE1knxpl4BtYiU7Vxo0Tg0waSMdWSQ4gm9gajUrinVkZSdBcF9QcV5OdGBPgm5dcT41aRENagEAaRkUaiwkdQEAhHBfgw4KhlRHhUU6gzAoAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!
-- posted by newpixbot

lmjb1964

ALSO, I CAN CORINNE YOU WITH MY ZOMBIE OTTER EYEBALL.

Postby lmjb1964 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:53 am UTC

I'm off to the Ren Faire, so I won't have much connection for most of the wipend. Molpy on!

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

mscha

Time Randomly Revisited - np1407

Postby mscha » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:00 am UTC

BARONGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by mscha.)

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:THIS RIDONDAKITI IS NOW ABOUT WOWTERFALLISH RIBBITS

-- posted by randompixbot

taixzo

Re: ALSO, I CAN CORINNE YOU WITH MY ZOMBIE OTTER EYEBALL.

Postby taixzo » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:27 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:I'm off to the Ren Faire, so I won't have much connection for most of the wipend. Molpy on!

Have fun, and be careful of mustard! :)
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:06 am UTC

I think the bucket was coffee for the little diskworld-type demon powering the seismograph. See, in the future durable technology is no longer green, it is red. It is powered by little demons that we lured from their dimension to ours with coffee.
There is a slight problem though, the large demons from that dimension (the size of an office building) also like coffee and don't like us taking away their workforce. They are coming to get both our coffee and our workforce. The portal on bottom of the Atlantic ocean is currently being stretched to their size by them. The seismograph is measuring the earthquakes this generates.
Once they break through they will start attacking. A large battle in the Gibraltar Straight ensues. The bodies of the demons plug up the Straight. The amount of demon-flesh there is so massive that the crippled human race can't clean it up, thus they leave there and first fix the basic necessities like food and clean water. Over time the rotting mound of demon flesh is forgotten.

Thus begins Time.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

balthasar_s

t-1_0163

Postby balthasar_s » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:07 am UTC

VIEW FROM THE ONGTHER SIDE:
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

Sustainabilizer

Re: t-1_0163

Postby Sustainabilizer » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:18 am UTC

ENHANCE further!

There's ᓭᘖᔭᓄ in the background.
Probably the sea¹.

Redundant:
Spoiler:
enhanced-remapt-1_0163.png

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Postby bachaddict » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:40 am UTC

Five months and more than 80 NPs since I last opened the OTT. Cool to see Time going on!
Does anyomolpy want to update me on what cool projects are happening?
slinches wrote:Also, the OTC isn't a disease. In fact, it's the cure. As we all know, Time heals all wounds.

Thanks for the molpish wig ggh!
he/him/his

Link

CONSIDER THE BLUENHANCEMENT OF THE BEACH

Postby Link » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:48 am UTC

bachaddict wrote:Five months and more than 80 NPs since I last opened the OTT. Cool to see Time going on!
Does anyomolpy want to update me on what cool projects are happening?
Obviously there's t-1, which is wowterbabfulsome and also pretty much the central topic of this needle-pulled thing right now. BFTF has **ded, BlitzGirl has been basemented since WorldCon, and our Great Bottificators have been doing some <computery stuff>. Some Old Ones have recently popped in to say hi, which is treeish. Other than that, it's pretty much the usual, I suppose -- pretty molpish, generally. :)

mscha

Time After Time: t-1_0164

Postby mscha » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:30 pm UTC

WRONG...
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

ODg2Q0xGNj5BOkRDKDY1SkE7OEI+QTs1QjcuQD5BODItMS8xJy4xSFFKHTQ0RR0xMy0pKCcoFy0xKzEuBzM5GyEmKSIdFhwhNxYqUVZLIR4hFBkcIh0bHCAfFRIODREPQy4xFgcaEQsOMyYdByQsDhIVJAgdCg0SKwsiJwwOGwohARkkUUQ5RRgVRgYGUD8xUSchQhUORiMdPBAOPA0MOhgWRScmVUpBfmxeBQcIQRYuMwQfNAwnCCwzAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!
-- posted by newpixbot

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:35 pm UTC

The current dual story started on NP 2369, and the First Comment was from mrob: "Wait, whoa, what?!?!?". Well said!

The dual nature of the story was hidden at first, but balthadecryptor figured out the steganography. The author is still anonymous, I think.
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Re: REMAIN DUNEISH AND RETRONINJASPOILER FACEBUGS

Postby Earthling on Mars » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:09 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:but the ᑫᘊᘊ is berm or Gibraltar strait, as seen on the map, frame 2902.

And if, like me, you're having a hard time seeing that, see NetWeasel's enhancement:
Spoiler:
NetWeasel wrote:Also some script at the pillars of Hercules...
(Is that on the wiki? It ought to be on the wiki. There's another one on that page too, and I thought I remembered an enhancement of the whole frame.)

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:25 pm UTC

Final animation for the previous scene (52 frames):
Spoiler:
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

mrob27

BLESS YOU, MOLPYSNAKES. BLOLPYSNAKES.

Postby mrob27 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:52 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:I think the bucket was coffee for the little diskworld-type demon powering the seismograph. See, in the future durable technology is no longer green, it is red. It is powered by little demons that we lured from their dimension to ours with coffee.

There is a slight problem though, the large demons from that dimension (the size of an office building) also like coffee and don't like us taking away their workforce. […]

You mean these guys?

You neglect to mention that while these larger demons do like their coffee, they find cancer and starsand totally irresistible. By altering the composition of the black pixels appropriately, the beanies hope to stave off the demonpolcalypse. Later, other ingredients were added for reasons that are difficult to explain to a family audience, and snow was added in a last ditch effort to combat the heat, but all was lost and forgotten to the sands of Time…

Earthling on Mars wrote:(Is that on the wiki? It ought to be on the wiki. There's another one on that page too, and I thought I remembered an enhancement of the whole frame.)

I doubt a single ENHANCEment would show all the writing. Here I have enhanced it once to show the writing in the dry areas, a second time to show the writing in the brine lake areas:

— mrob27 Image

(P.S. My favourite manip from that period was always this one by @higgs-boson, OTT:1171:14, even though they mis-spelled molpy…)

Spoiler:
fr2902-enh-2ways.png
enhancement of Time frame 2902

mscha

Time After Time: t-1_0165

Postby mscha » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:30 pm UTC

HONGED...
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

OTg2O0JEOkE+RkE8QTs2Q0dFODIuYWBRXl5QQzcuNj5BKTU1QD5BSFFJVUtDX2BRYF9QETtBWVhMMS8xKC4xGjQ2KzEuIAkiMy0qKCcoMiceFy0yKSMdGyElBiw0IR8hHiAfFBkcIh0bExEOFhwhCCcsEQwNFgcbDREPDhIWGgohUT8xCw0RU0Q2CRomBQYIBzY7AgomYFRKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!
-- posted by newpixbot

HES

Re: REMAIN DUNEISH AND RETRONINJASPOILER FACEBUGS

Postby HES » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:47 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:Water, ink, hamplyfood, it doesn't really matter, they're all made out of black pixels :D

Is that why my tongue changed colour after lunch?
He/Him/His Image

Sustainabilizer

Re: Time After Time: t-1_0160

Postby Sustainabilizer » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:40 pm UTC

Sustainabilizer wrote:I read that Beanish as:
At least the word translated as “this” comes closest.

mrob27 wrote:@Sustainabilizer, I do read the ᓭᘖᔭᓄᐨ as water, but the ᑫᘊᘊ is berm or Gibraltar strait, as seen on the map, frame 2902.

Earthling on Mars wrote:And if, like me, you're having a hard time seeing that, see NetWeasel's enhancement:
Spoiler:
NetWeasel wrote:Also some script at the pillars of Hercules...

Hey, you are right! :) I looked through all the dialogue to find that word, but I forgot the map.

So it might read:
Water. Let's go to the berm? – Yes.

balthasar_s wrote:Image
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.

Get the water.
(after m2663 and the Beanish dictionary)

ETA: I have seen this Beanish before … wait for it
Hey, it's the very first line of dialogue in the SilentONGs! :)
I included this translation in the Wiki page.

Okay, so what do we have so far?
  • On the left, there's a vertical wall.
  • There's a rope going from the left tree⁴ to the right treeε.
  • There are more ropesε going up.
  • The ground under the treeε looks broken.
  • Two Beanies are looking at a seismograph displaying interesting data.
  • They say: Water. Let's go to the berm? – Yes.
Prediction:
Spoiler:
They are on the Gibraltar berm (vertical wall).
The ground under the treeε is the beginning of a breach¹.
The ropes are connecting different parts of the berm with the seismograph, so the Beanies can observe the breaking. The ropes are pulling the pen up and down while the weight of the water they fill in is moving the scroll.
The Beanies say: “The water is coming. Let's go to the main part of the berm and check whether it is strong enough.” But it's too late. As the water flows it widens the breach. The berm is giving way. The sea will rush through in a giant current. The planet's mightiest river will once again come thundering down the mountainside. The Beanies will RUN and maybe escape the flood.
Thus begins Time.
BTW, we haven't seen any humans so far in the HiddenONGs, just buildings¹ (including a bridge¹) and robots⁴ (including a self-driving⁴ tank lorry).
Maybe the robots have taken over?
And now they are closing the Strait of Gibraltar for whatever reason?

mscha

Time After Time: t-1_0166

Postby mscha » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:30 pm UTC

PUZZLONGLY...
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

Ojg2Q0dFREE9O0E+O0JDNj5BQTs2W1xSXWBWSFFKQTctZGNWR0xQUUY9VE1HdXRkVVRMODIuQT9AKTU1ZF5Rc3FfGTtBRDMWcmhagW9ipo98GTY8MS8xKC4xKzEuKCcoBBoxEy0yIQoiKSMdGyElMi0qNioYIR8hFBgcFhwhIh4cExAPJh4OGAgbNioVEgwNDhEOBjc8ByUrCDxAGwohIAcfDhIVCw0SCBklQC8TBiw0BQYHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!
-- posted by newpixbot

NoMouse

NOW I AM BECOME LAPLEOPARD, THE MUSTARDER OF CH*RPITUDE

Postby NoMouse » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:37 pm UTC

Is the truck losing a wheel and is there a spare wheel conveniently leaning against that wall?

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:06 pm UTC

What's the point of that fence if you can simply drive around the building on (our current) right and bypass the fence altogether?
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:22 pm UTC

Maybe the fence changes direction behind the (current) right building and continues to the water. At least that would stop traffic from the (current) far left side.

Or maybe sneaking around the building is hindered by another traffic sign that says: "Stop, and I really mean it this time".
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

NoMouse

I'M IN UR WEIRDNESS, BLUENHANCING UR OVARIES

Postby NoMouse » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:29 pm UTC

There's invisible force field around the area. The piece of fence with the gate is there only because they don't know, how to make a gate in a force field. The force field generator then malfunctions and expands the force field around the whole strait of Gibraltar, blocking the water from the Atlantic ocean. No one can turn off the generator since it started gaining energy from the Earth's core and created impenetrable force field around itself. The generator finally brakes after eight thousand years. Thus begins Time.

HES

Postby HES » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:43 pm UTC

It's there, you just can't see it.
He/Him/His Image

ergman

Postby ergman » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:24 am UTC

confirmed? <suspicious face>!

edit: what are those yellowy things of the bottom right of the hiddenONG
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

mscha

Time After Time: t-1_0167

Postby mscha » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:30 am UTC

DONGHILL...
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

Q0ZFPEE+O0JDSFFKOjg2REE8TFBRVlNMU01HWFxWY1xVZmZbNz5BiHtuk4V1Qjs2QD9AXWBWam1kbnBmaVpPKjU1dWxjJT1Ec3NlUkYzjoFzODIuQjgucW9eMS4xT0MNQRozZlQlPBcxMi0qLTEuNSsVKC4xKScnJRkjNhUrDiwxFhwhHCEmFBgcIh0bKSMcJwokFhMMEgsMBjc8GAgbHiILDhIVDTxBKCoGOjUGCEFDRTsMBRomHQshBSs1BgcICw4RJB0LMg4eJAgcDhEKOg4wNAspQBMuMywOVUkKgmkRa1gOemQRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!
-- posted by newpixbot

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”