1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Re:1190 - chirpingmustard updates will resume shortly

Postby AluisioASG » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:23 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:OTT Time Travel: Newpage 24
Featuring a few posts by our own Aluisio!
mscha wrote:OTT Time Machine, with an ONG by our very own Aluisio.
Shh, you'll wake up the other ones!
~YVOA-101043

ETA: implicit decree
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

taixzo

Re: 1190: Time: HOTDOGGING IS SO *LAST HECTONEWPIX*.

Postby taixzo » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:30 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:By visiting xkcd.com to see the latest comic, then adding "fora." to the beginning of the URL to visit fora.xkcd.com. Or just type that last thing in directly. Spoilered for heresy:
Spoiler:
My theory is that there are people who, for whatever reason, do not leave a browser open to the forums all the time, and have no room on their Windows ME-based netbook's screen for a bookmarks bar. Or maybe they have to buy a new organised sand and they forgot how to import history from the old one. Or they're using something that has no bookmarks, like a friend's phone. And what sort of "friend" hasn't also bookmarked xkcd?

These poor souls occupy a misty half-existence between the Outside and the Basement. Their only salvation exists in the fact that they can memorise a short URL and type it on demand. The fora home page exists for those lost semi-Outsiders. It is a gateway in from the cold, mere clicks away from OTTishness.27

Have mercy upon them, these poor ch*rped souls living on the precipice, a Cueball's slip-and-fall away from drowning in the internet's sea of m*stard. By placing the One True Sequence Number (1190) and the One True Title (Time) in our post titles, we light a zanclean beacon of molpishness that is sure to bring flutterbeewinnghish visions to their eyes. You could spend a thousand lifetimes surfing through reddit and 4chan, reading as fast as you could, and you'd never know the world had threads like this in it. We shall welcome them forward unto Newpage after Newpage after Newpage, seaishly ever after. So Molp It Be.

27 (This very author admits to having done this himself, in the misty past before he became aware of explainxkcd. It's because I'm Cueish.)

Or just Google "xkcd forums". That takes you there.
  The bot's a good idea too. More bots! Image

*raises hand*

I am one of those people; as much of the time I see the OTT it is not from my TimeAccessor, but rather a public one at which I cannot modify bookmarks or the like.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

balthasar_s

Re: CONSIDER THE PUNSAWS OF THE OTC

Postby balthasar_s » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:39 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Well, you'll be here in spirit, for sure. And depending on the time zone, it could technically extend past Good Friday, right? So, after Good Friday, celebrate the Timiversary in Hawaii time.
Actually, I plan to wait until today.

mrob27 wrote:The remapped frame doesn't show up yet (at the expected URL), presumably because the balthenhancinatorbot doesn't know these are ONGing so fast…
Indeed. But the bot had no problems enhancing two frames each hour.
mrob27 wrote:So I'll have to upload mine.
There is always waiting.

Thank you, mysterious author, for t-1!

(The timeaftertime wiki page did not notice t** **d of it. Maybe I'll do something with it if I'm not ninjaed.)

davean wrote:Everything good here after the migration?
There are some changes which means a little extra work for some of us but everything important works correctly, so yes good.

mrob27 wrote:on their own custom servers using other versions of phpBB
I don't use a real phpBB. Only some css, javascript, smilies.

ucim wrote:Balthasar's movie "Time - what have you done to me?" (especially its very last frames)
You mean the recursion, the chirping mustard or the redundant redundant test screen?

ucim wrote:
HES wrote:Did the fora mustard force the shortpix rush at the end, then?
I think so.
I don't. It was still ONGing even when the mustard arrived.

Aotc, and some posts later, this is a reference to something? I think I saw something like it before.
ETA: Monty Python. I didn't watch this so I didn't know. About quoting: I have some old Polish radioplays. Together with my sisters we sometimes repeated whole fragments of it. Because these were so good and funny.

mrob27 wrote:(a Firstpost from ЯОЯЯІМ ТТО ƎНТ, possibly the first?)
This was the first: http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&p=3700049#p3700049

Eternal Density wrote:Y'know, GLR should have a bot that posts the new comic discussion thread and links to it from the comic page. That's what I'd do.
mrob27 wrote:]The bot's a good idea too. More bots! Image

This idea (about bot starting thread not about linking) appeared before somewhere in IXCT. The answer was not to do it because IXCT rules:
IXCT rules wrote:Provide some commentary below. This is a discussion after all... No point in just posting what's on the front page of xkcd.com and providing nothing else of value

Eternal Density wrote:That's what I'd do.
I would not do this. But I'm not a GLR and I don't make comics that have threads created around them.

mrob27 wrote:My theory is that there are people who, for whatever reason, do not leave a browser open to the forums all the time [...]
I type "forums.xkcd.com" every time I want to visit the OTT.

mscha, is it possible to download all your autolevels at once?
Last edited by balthasar_s on Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:00 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Revisited - np164

Postby mscha » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:40 pm UTC

TUNGSTITE...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
Replay Time live here!

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:I DIDN'T CHOOSE THE THWAPSTICK LIFE; THE THWAPSTICK LIFE CHOSE ME

-- posted by oldpixbot

Sciscitor

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Sciscitor » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:02 pm UTC

The new forum has broken the import of the OTT into the Database. Just as I thought the mustard was quite riverish. What I should have expected was that the more riverish the mustard the harder to find. :oops:

Nevertheless, it is fixed now so I can report that all is well again. :D
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

mscha

Re: CONSIDER THE PUNSAWS OF THE OTC

Postby mscha » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:23 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:mscha, is it possible to download all your autolevels at once?

Do you mean, the hidden t-1 pix where I autoleveled, or changed the gamma, or otherwise made them better visible? No, sorry, I only did that ad hoc. (I don't even have a proper archive of the ENHANCEd images at all.)

ETA: let's go swimmUNG
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
Colorization by dawnfire.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

ggh

Postby ggh » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:00 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:RAZOR to the rescue! There has been a Raptor sighting.
B!wahaha! I would have wet myself too.

Welcome Ember!

Corinne - so glad to see you again!

balthasar_s wrote:I type "forums.xkcd.com" every time I want to visit the OTT.
In my rich fantasy life where I have time to do things, I ask you for a photo of your keyboard and a measurement. Then I build you a structure that fits over your keyboard and types "forums.xkcd.com" when you move a slide, or maybe roll a ball across it or something. I'm imagining a rigid structure with a bunch of #8 wire bits that hang down from a line on the top rack, but are bent so that each hangs above the appropriate key.

Storing the contraption and placing it carefully over your keyboard every time you want to go on the forum would take far more time than actually typing "forums.xkcd.com", but I'd be completely comfortable with that.

Yay for the fixing Sciscitor! I think it amazes me, even more than when folks make cool stuff for the OTT, when they maintain it. :)

ETA: PFFTHHUNG
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:17 pm UTC

I hate it when the raptors get loose in the RAZOR carpark! The zombies are worse, though, what with them dropping body parts here and there, plus they smell really bad. Image Image

Seriously, that video is hilarious, and that raptor is amazing! I want one.

balthaselephant wrote:I type "forums.xkcd.com" every time I want to visit the OTT

Me too. Actually, I usually just have to type "for" and it knows where I want to go and fills in the rest. :)

Thanks for fixing the database, Scisitor!

ggh wrote:
balthasar_s wrote:I type "forums.xkcd.com" every time I want to visit the OTT.
In my rich fantasy life where I have time to do things, I ask you for a photo of your keyboard and a measurement. Then I build you a structure that fits over your keyboard and types "forums.xkcd.com" when you move a slide, or maybe roll a ball across it or something. I'm imagining a rigid structure with a bunch of #8 wire bits that hang down from a line on the top rack, but are bent so that each hangs above the appropriate key.

Storing the contraption and placing it carefully over your keyboard every time you want to go on the forum would take far more time than actually typing "forums.xkcd.com", but I'd be completely comfortable with that.

Awesomeful! *waits for it*

Hi, ember, Revealer the Recent! Welcome!

And yay, CorinnetheSnake! It's great to see you. Hope to see TheMinim too, but I guess we'll have to
Spoiler:
Are you kidding? I know better than to leave this empty when you're around! :)

ETA more excitement.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

mrob27

1190: Time: I HAS A LEGO. YOU CAN HAS MY LEGOSES.

Postby mrob27 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:52 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Image

Shocking, I know. Here, let me distract you with kittens, molpies and ice cream g. Image Image Image
  Seriously, though, I meant not to suggest that anyone in particular is a poor ch*rped soul teetering on the precipice of the eternal m*stard of a perpetually non-OTTish life, just that there are such people and that the short URL allows facile enmolpiment.

Thanks for the clarifications, @balthasar_s. Yes, Waiting would have been preferable. Somehow I got stuck in the habit of always trying to ONG both t-1 frames at once.

ggh wrote:In my rich fantasy life where I have time to do things, I ask you for a photo of your keyboard and a measurement. Then I build you a structure that fits over your keyboard and types "forums.xkcd.com" when […]

Of course, by rule 1044 of the Internetr, it's already been done using LEGOs(es). At least twice. I'd recommend the second, because it's "robot piszący na klawiaturze".

mrob27 Image

g Well, one of each, anyway… and a goat Image Why a goat? Ni!

r"If you can imagine it, there is LEGO of it. There are no exceptions."

i For decree:
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

ggh

Re: 1190: Time: I HAS A LEGO. YOU CAN HAS MY LEGOSES.

Postby ggh » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:52 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:Of course, by rule 1044 of the Internetr, it's already been done using LEGOs(es). At least twice. I'd recommend the second, because it's "robot piszący na klawiaturze".
And because it's really really cute!)

So naturally I tried googling "lego of women in shower playing guitar" and was momentarily disappointed, until I saw http://www.metafilter.com/65453/The-internet-is-no-longer-lacking-pictures-of-women-playing-electric-guitar-in-the-shower which reported that GLR really did register wetriffs.com and his readers filled it, and was momentarily extremely pleased, until I discovered that it no longer exists, and was disappointed again.
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:19 am UTC

For decree, NP111:
blowfishhootie wrote:Posting in this thread has definitely slowed down big time.
Selecting new quote…

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:30 am UTC

I'm not sure I understand what the decree is doUNG:

But I'll bring quotes from the current Time travel newpage of 111 as well:

Elendel wrote:
xspeedballx wrote:Will we all still care about each other after the end of Time?

Will there be anything left to care about after the end of Time?

Yes and yes.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:22 am UTC

ggh wrote:
mrob27 wrote:Of course, by rule 1044 of the Internetr, it's already been done using LEGOs(es). At least twice. I'd recommend the second, because it's "robot piszący na klawiaturze".
And because it's really really cute!)

So naturally I tried googling "lego of women in shower playing guitar" and was momentarily disappointed, until I saw http://www.metafilter.com/65453/The-internet-is-no-longer-lacking-pictures-of-women-playing-electric-guitar-in-the-shower which reported that GLR really did register wetriffs.com and his readers filled it, and was momentarily extremely pleased, until I discovered that it no longer exists, and was disappointed again.

Well, never fear, the wayback machine saved it.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

addams

Postby addams » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:33 am UTC

taixzo;
You are a hero.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:36 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:I'm not sure I understand what the decree is doUNG
Well, the pope post comes with a couple OTTT[MT] links, so I'd guess it has something to do with them.
Selecting new quote…

addams

Postby addams » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:25 am UTC

I ate my chocolate Bunny from his ears to the eggs covering his eggs and tail.
I ate my chocolate Bunny all at one time.

I ate my chocolate Bunny.
Now; I feel funny.

It's not literally funny.
It's literally the opposite.

A warning to others, don't ear your chocolate Bunny from ears to eggs all at one time.
Turn him over; Eat him from eggs to ears. That should save you from The Bunny Blues.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:53 am UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

Eternal Density

1190: "Time" is definitely this thread

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:03 am UTC

My appointment with doctors is any minip now, I just have to
Spoiler:
avoid annoying CorinneTheSnake
ETA still waiting
ETA once they remembered me it went quickly. The 'good news' is I should respond very well to chemo. Thanks, lymph nodes.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:37 am UTC

OperatiUNG Connect Castle is a go!

OTT Time Travel: Newpage 122
Complete with posts by ChronosDragon and slinches, and many dearly basemented OTTers.

slinches wrote:
boozledorf wrote:I have had it with him and his slow-ass castle building.
... See you at the next newpix.

Yes, we need more productive castle builders like Megan. I miss Megan.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:13 am UTC

Now I miss both halves of Megball. :( Good thing there's so much wowflutterawebabishfulness here to make up for it. :D

And glad to see you back from the outside, BlitzGirl.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:19 am UTC

Glad to be back, slinches! It's epsilon out there. :shock:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

This is the thread you are looking for

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:03 am UTC

WOOO I have a brand^240 new seaish^24" Time Viewer attached to my lapleopard! (which means I have the lid closed and am typing with a leopard that has blue teeth) ! It looks awesomeful! And I actually have a second (temporarily redundant) one which I can add once I get my new organised sand :D And Storm Angel also has one, and when he's not using it I'll be able to use all three. Baobabs!

^240 acer
^24" 60cm
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:33 am UTC

taixzo wrote:Well, never fear, the wayback machine saved it.

This gave me the idea to check Time in the wayback machine. We still don't have the ‘hash’ for np1, after all; who knows...
The first archived copy is indeed from Randix 1 Innocence 0H, and the image looks really early. However, the hash is 8eb156cce408df8bb83528382d6a2aa2ce6c74f3c573fd12b058cd1c56420672 – np2.
So close... :?

Heretical: Monday 25 March 2013

ETA op200: Cueball still connectUNG on his own.
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

OTT Time Travel:
kenmelken wrote:HE MOVED!!!!
kenmelken wrote:So, now the question is: was that just a random error that one of them got missed, or did cueball just not move (highly unlikely in my opinion), or has the time now extended to an hour between newpix releases?

Apparently, there was some ado about a possibly missing newpix, or one without CuevementC. Strangely, the archives don't see any problem – still a np every shortpix, and Cueball moves every time.

Cueball movement
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:02 am UTC

Ack, mscha edit-ninja'd me! Image I haven't been OTTninja'd in forever! I basically said the same thing: the UNG here is from Newpage 125, and there is quite a bit of concern at that point about the lack of Cuevement between np198 and np199 - some protoOTTers saw no change between the two pix, which appear distinct in the thread now. May have been server delivery mustard or somesuch, since longpix didn't kick in for 40 more newpix and mscha's archives were unaffected.

Anyway, that's awesomeful, ED! I have a blue-toothed leopard too, very useful critters.
(Also I'm glad that the docs had a bit of good news for you!)
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Revisited - np201

Postby mscha » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:10 am UTC

BEDUNG...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
Replay Time live here!

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:SO I HERD U SUSTAINABILIZE WINGISHNESS

-- posted by oldpixbot

ggh

Postby ggh » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:26 am UTC

taixzo wrote:Well, never fear, the wayback machine saved it.
Oh taixzo, you champion! Thanks!

EngineerUNG Feat: Taking this newpix in isolation
I'm seeing an elaborate sand castle, complete with a St. Louis Arch.
Agatha the Awesomeful

Eternal Density

German shorteners predict the same hard time (1190)

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:27 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Ack, mscha edit-ninja'd me! Image I haven't been OTTninja'd in forever! I basically said the same thing: the UNG here is from Newpage 125, and there is quite a bit of concern at that point about the lack of Cuevement between np198 and np199 - some protoOTTers saw no change between the two pix, which appear distinct in the thread now. May have been server delivery mustard or somesuch, since longpix didn't kick in for 40 more newpix and mscha's archives were unaffected.

Anyway, that's awesomeful, ED! I have a blue-toothed leopard too, very useful critters.
(Also I'm glad that the docs had a bit of good news for you!)
Hehe, I got bOTTninja'd when I made my 5000 unbasementstairs post :P
Cuevement? Is that a word we've used before, or a new one?
Sadly I won't get to see what 2 (let alone 3) working seaish Time Displayers look like until my new Organised Sand arrived, as my current lapleopard only runs one. Hopefully I'll have it in a wip. It depends on how long it takes for the parts to ship to the company who are assembling it. The assembling will take some time too, and then they'll spend a dip ensuring the sand is organised correctly and shows the correct patterns of blinking lights. It's gonna be molpish and like unto a raptor :D I also have the ability to make time run faster, which is a bit heretical since I won't have to wait for it for as long. Or maybe the better way of looking at the situation is that i'll get more it for the same amount of waiting.

While the news isn't 100% perfect, it's at least as good as I expected from the CT scan report. It's good to know that they're fairly positive about being able to blast away any stray m*stard, though the process is likely to leave me feeling rather steambottle while it's happening.
I can reasonably expect to be okay so long as I stay out of petri dishes.

ggh

Postby ggh » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:10 pm UTC

Interesting... if I use the search-user's-posts link off mscha's profile page, the first listing is his latest post, as expected. For me, or ED, or BlitzGirl, tho, the most recent post is from two days ago. Is anyone else seeing that?
Agatha the Awesomeful

HES

1190: "Time": Short answer, Yes.

Postby HES » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:35 pm UTC

The forum search and egosearch ("your posts") have been unreliable and exhibiting weird behaviour since the update. There are several threads on the matter, most notably in the "Forum migration" announcement sticky.
He/Him/His Image

ggh

Postby ggh » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:36 pm UTC

Ah, y'know I had read about folks having trouble with egosearch, but I didn't know what that meant. Also, I thought it had been fixed. I guess I stopped looking at the Forum Migration thread after a few days.

Hey, this has nothing to do with the forum, but while I'm here learning internet things that everyone else knows already: how do folks make line breaks on facebug? When the migration was taking place, and the facebug group was active, I noticed that some posts had line breaks, but when I hit enter, it would just post what I had so far. *little voice whispers in my ear: what if you like googled that?* *um, yeah, I could do that.* *oh! shift key!* *little voice: now, that wasn't so hard, was it?* *um, no, I guess not* :oops:

UNG-oh, here it comes!

ETA: before I molpy down here, I'd like to leave these here:
Back in November, ggh wrote:Loved your Blitzdrawing, balthasar! Oh, and thank you for leading me to CD's rendering with the trees. The one I was thinking of was:
ImageAnd thank you karhell, for pointing out this:
karhell wrote:As for 3D renderings, HES also made this.
Very interesting....
(That rendering is bigger if you follow the link.)
And then t-1 ended like this:
which looks like this with a bit of filtering:
Trees in the fog... evidence of CD's involvement? evidence that CD inspired someone? Red herring?

I find the artifacts interesting because they're not in the known-CD one, implying a different creation process, and also because they suggest to me that the shot may be composited in some way, and I had been assuming that everything was being rendered at once.

Redundant:
Spoiler:
remapt-1_0828lightlyFiltered.png
Agatha the Awesomeful

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Revisited - np214

Postby mscha » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:40 pm UTC

MARKUNGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by adnapemit.)

Replay Time live here!

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:♫ COME, MISTER BLUENHANCY MAN, BLUENHANCY ME BAG / REDUNDABIKE COME AND ME WAN' GO HOME ♫

-- posted by oldpixbot

karhell

Postby karhell » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:44 pm UTC

PreviewEdit: ninja'd >.<
Spoiler:
ImpactUNG

While I'm at it :
Belated welcome to CorrineTheSnake !
And welcome to Ember, Revealer the Recent, and if I understood that well, BlitzGirl the Stealthy !
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:00 pm UTC

Ha, I like how we're ninjaing ourselves postUNG newpix again. :D

OTT Time Travel: Newpage 144

dangerous wrote:My prediction is the castle will be destroyed looking very much like the first frame and will loop?
Entropy...
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mrob27

1190: Time: IMMA CHARGIN MAH RHETHATM

Postby mrob27 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:29 pm UTC

ggh wrote:Ah, y'know I had read about folks having trouble with egosearch, but I didn't know what that meant. Also, I thought it had been fixed. I guess I stopped looking at the Forum Migration thread after a few days.

I think the Forum Migration thread was all about the CSS stuff for the first few pages. Someone expressed the belief that "egosearch" was this (except with your ID instead of mine), which is what you get when clicking on the number of posts under your avatar/username/etc. (which now is visible only if your window is 701 pixels wide or wider).
  Eventually @gmalivuk pointed out that We're calling it "egosearch" because it's what search_id=egosearch is supposed to give. To be explicitly clear, it's a search query like this, except with your username instead of "mrob27". It's bloody useful for folks who are participating in multiple threads, or it would be, if it were working. There has been a lot of confusion because deep inside the vast botwarren of forum software, which from the descriptions I've seen seems frighteningly similar to Mrorl's OTTronic Bard, our search results are getting cached in a ch*rped-up way, and the m*stard shows up only if you try a search with exactly the same parameters and options as a previous search, or something like that. I'm sure @davean has been running up and down past banks of relay racks and panels of blinking lights, pulling tubes and moving levers in frustration and shouting down to some hapless assistant to try it now!
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:03 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Yay, AotC!! Awesomeful! But in addition to mourning ShortBean (and TallBean's loss), we have to worry now about BlitzGirl? :(
Ironic comment, since you were the one that thwacked her a few posts later!

lmjb1964's BF orally wrote:"So, my brother was having dinner with Eric Idle recently..."
Awesomeful! It's all RELATED! I wonder what kind of OTTer he'd be. :) (Both Eric and your BF)

And BlitzGirl, you find the molpiest ice cream! Rakhal ought to be baobabbed.

And welcome CorinneTheSnake! SSssssay "hi" to TheMinim, if you sssee her!

Triggered by Eternal Density's you-know-what, BlitzGirl wrote:Randammit, I wasn't expecting it! Image
Got me too. One of your two main weapons is still effective. :)

Ember wrote:I started reading through all the xkcd comics the best part of a year ago now and came to this forum to read some of their associated threads at the same time. Then one of those threads starting taking on a life of its own. :P

I have really enjoyed reading the discussions and speculations as each newpix arrived, the poems, the songs, the artwork, the stories, the puzzles, and later on the sequels and the games, and have finally reached the present...
Oh My Randall! Welcome Ember!! Is this another Stealth Blitzer? You read everything??? (Or skipped on a bit, brother?) Either way, awesomeful, and molpish to have you aboard! Smopu hvala nuvi dict amuah!

Pull up a chair! (But be careful of that comfy one over there; I hear it triggers seaish chocolate, which is not to be confused with sea salt chocolate; that is a different kettledrum full of fish!)

Any other Blitzers (or SchitzoBlitzers) sneak into the presssent?

I just type 'f' and my browser knows. Where to go. It doesn't know about Blitzers. :)

It's so nice to see the OTTcolored Ungs!

ggh wrote:In my rich fantasy life where I have time to do things, I ask you for a photo of your keyboard and a measurement. Then I build you a structure that fits over your keyboard and types "forums.xkcd.com"...
Wouldn't it be awesomeful if the structure were powered by marbles, like the Wintergatan song machine? (Or even more awefulsome - powered by stale chocolate bits).

Baobabs! I'm so happy we have RAZOR to defend us! Time would have been much shorter if raptors were loose on the beach!

I'm so glad for Eternal Density's good news. M*stard that it wasn't better, but there is much still to appreciate, and as long as you know to stay away from petri dishes, you'll be molpish. And that seaish timeviewer must be awesomeful! I've dreamt of getting something like that, but the longer I go without it, the less I need it. The irony would be the day I break down and get one, and then never use its seaish potential. Not sure I'd want blue teeth controlling the screen; needle-pulled things are more raptorish, no? But I suppose it's a whole new experience, like the first time I used a cordless phone. Even though I'd heard that others had similar feelings and was "ready" for it, it still felt very epsilon to not have that cord connecting the handset to the wall!

ggh wrote:Trees in the fog... evidence of CD's involvement?
That's where my money is. Not so much because of the specifics of the trees and fog, but the overall style.

mrob27 wrote:...which is what you get when clicking on the number of posts under your avatar/username/etc. (which now is visible only if your window is 701 pixels wide or wider).
On narrower screens, there's an icon and screen name that appears at the top of posts; it links to the same thing.

mrob27 wrote:Acknowledgment of the error was relayed from Randall by @Stereo, OTT:57:34: "oops, sorry about the brief wrong-frame update; there was a disagreement between servers about time zones. it's being sorted out and the normal timeline should resume momentarily." I'm a bit surprised these "words of the OTA" were not canonicised in the Annals of Time Mustard. Perhaps the Third Cleric can find something in the ancient writings.
I'll ask Third Cleric, if I can pry him away from the argument about whether or not BlitzGirl is dead. He might have simply gone to the wrong room.

I have a feeling that somewhere there were a few questions for me, but I can't find them. Perhaps I have gotten lost in the timey wimey stuff, but re-ask if you want. Maybe I'm getting senile too, but it is not true however that I have been secretly replaced by Folgers Crystals.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:36 pm UTC

CelebratUNG destruction:

OTT Time Travel: Newpage 150

While trying to post this the first Time, a strange individual called General Error attempted to stop me. Apparently he's still at war with the forces of Colonel Mustard, as chronicled in ye olde book of face a yip and a half ago.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:10 am UTC

Oops, I appear to have ended up in Negapix in our favourite Sandcastle Hotdog...

Now I'm Stuck in Reverse, have gone Below the Horizon and even went Forward to the Past!

I'm only mildly concerned... :wink:
I am Schrödinger's Gingercat.

ggh

Re: 1190: Time: IMMA CHARGIN MAH RHETHATM

Postby ggh » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:19 am UTC

mrob27 wrote:I think the Forum Migration thread was all about the CSS stuff for the first few pages. Someone expressed the belief that "egosearch" was this (except with your ID instead of mine), which is what you get when clicking on the number of posts under your avatar/username/etc. (which now is visible only if your window is 701 pixels wide or wider).
  Eventually @gmalivuk pointed out that We're calling it "egosearch" because it's what search_id=egosearch is supposed to give. To be explicitly clear, it's a search query like this, except with your username instead of "mrob27". It's bloody useful for folks who are participating in multiple threads, or it would be, if it were working.
Thanks for the great description! I can't wait to try these things when the current search woes pass. Poor systems guys.

So... anyone know how to play a record that's glued to a wall without ripping it off the wall?

ucim wrote:
ggh wrote:Trees in the fog... evidence of CD's involvement?
That's where my money is. Not so much because of the specifics of the trees and fog, but the overall style.
Yes, but then, notice that HES image with the sun bouncing off the water, reminiscent of that highlight on the Earth in the opening hidden scene. And I still strongly suspect BlitzGirl had something to do with the b&w ONGs, but gee, didn't that tree-fling look balthasarian? There was something that seemed mscha-ish to me too, but I can't remember what it was. Time After Time on the Orient Express?
Agatha the Awesomeful

taixzo

Re: 1190: Time: IMMA CHARGIN MAH RHETHATM

Postby taixzo » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:27 am UTC

mrob27 wrote:
ggh wrote:Ah, y'know I had read about folks having trouble with egosearch, but I didn't know what that meant. Also, I thought it had been fixed. I guess I stopped looking at the Forum Migration thread after a few days.

I think the Forum Migration thread was all about the CSS stuff for the first few pages. Someone expressed the belief that "egosearch" was this (except with your ID instead of mine), which is what you get when clicking on the number of posts under your avatar/username/etc. (which now is visible only if your window is 701 pixels wide or wider).
  Eventually @gmalivuk pointed out that We're calling it "egosearch" because it's what search_id=egosearch is supposed to give. To be explicitly clear, it's a search query like this, except with your username instead of "mrob27". It's bloody useful for folks who are participating in multiple threads, or it would be, if it were working. There has been a lot of confusion because deep inside the vast botwarren of forum software, which from the descriptions I've seen seems frighteningly similar to Mrorl's OTTronic Bard, our search results are getting cached in a ch*rped-up way, and the m*stard shows up only if you try a search with exactly the same parameters and options as a previous search, or something like that. I'm sure @davean has been running up and down past banks of relay racks and panels of blinking lights, pulling tubes and moving levers in frustration and shouting down to some hapless assistant to try it now!

Interesting. For me, it gives:

fora.xkcd.com wrote:Sorry but you are not permitted to use the search system.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:39 am UTC

ggh wrote:So... anyone know how to play a record that's glued to a wall without ripping it off the wall?
Sure. Glue a record player to it and make the record player go around the record. Not so odd as it may seem.... a "rotary" engine in aviation is an engine where the prop is mounted to the engine itself, and the shaft is mounted to the airplane. Yes, the entire engine goes around and around.
Spoiler:
and the green grass grows grapevines grow all around!
The engines that are built the more obvious way are called "radial" engines.

However, there's a molpier way. (Not that making a turntable go around the record isn't molpish!) Records have been played with laser beams; the turntable's arm would hold a laser instead of a stylus, and no contact is made. But they have also been played as scans - take a picture of the record and let organized sand follow the grooves. (There's a little more to it than that because of the way the grooves are shaped, which is different for the differnt kinds of records, but with some duckduckgo you might find some hints - can't do it now because I'm being called to grill some fish). (Not cuttlefish though, and not kettlefish either).

I betcha our robot overlords know. :)

ggh wrote:Yes, but then, notice that HES image with the sun bouncing off the water, reminiscent of that highlight on the Earth in the opening hidden scene. And I still strongly suspect BlitzGirl had something to do with the b&w ONGs, but gee, didn't that tree-fling look balthasarian? There was something that seemed mscha-ish to me too, but I can't remember what it was.
It's because we're all Randall.

Jose
edit: tag mustard
Last edited by ucim on Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:28 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”