1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby azule » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:00 am UTC

Edit: Pope. Ah. *thinks of a good one*
Decree: Consider creating an outlandish outline for a stupendous story about Time. Yes, if it has alliteration you get bonus points! So, like, pick any interesting part of Time and go somewhere neat from there, forward or backward or sideways.

lmjb1964 wrote:Do foxes eat their young? And, um, what do you already do? Eat your young or have a fox brain?
I don't know. But it wouldn't be it's young, it'd be my young...so are they carnivores? Yeah. What do I already do? hah, I knew that might be a bit ambiguous! I "almost" eat him, which means "nibbles". I pretend to eat him, cause I'm also a T-rex!

lmjb1964 wrote:Even with an azule brain, I doubt a fox would have the vocal capabilities to talk.
Meet me in person (which is what this meeting would entail) and you might doubt person-me can talk, either. ;) But, I was thinking I could draw or pull out flash cards and things like that.

lmjb1964 wrote:Similarly, use similes simply.
I read that as "smilies". :)

Edit: So, it turns out, mikrit and Whizbang are also on the same early NP as me (NP9), mikrit a few posts above. I'm referring to those who are still around. Angelastic and Whizbang are even earlier, not counting Mods, of course.
Last edited by azule on Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:17 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Image[Ambassador Azule]

OTTer Meet in the land(ish) of Cueball. Details. Link. (Link will not be there, but Link may.)

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.
azule
Saved

THE PASTPAGE **DS HERE

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:15 am UTC

Back from doing some gardening at my grandparents' place.
Nothing particularly relevant or amusing about that, just thought I'd say hi and that's all I could think of.
ImagePlay the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

GAZEBO OINTMENT HARPSICHORD CREDENZA BUNGALOW
Eternal Density

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:21 am UTC

There is no new What If yet!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
*runs around with his arms flailing*
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
*trips over a box*
Au, that was a bad plan!
Yaay!
Neil_Boekend

Postby ucim » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:33 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
*trips over a box*
Au, that was a bad plan!
You'd better be careful, you might kill yourself!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar
ucim

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:51 am UTC

azule wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:Do foxes eat their young? And, um, what do you already do? Eat your young or have a fox brain?
I don't know. But it wouldn't be it's young, it'd be my young...so are they carnivores? Yeah. What do I already do? hah, I knew that might be a bit ambiguous! I "almost" eat him, which means "nibbles". I pretend to eat him, cause I'm also a T-rex!

Ah, thanks for clarifying.

azule wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:Even with an azule brain, I doubt a fox would have the vocal capabilities to talk.
Meet me in person (which is what this meeting would entail) and you might doubt person-me can talk, either. ;) But, I was thinking I could draw or pull out flash cards and things like that.

lmjb1964 wrote:Similarly, use similes simply.
I read that as "smilies". :)

Of course, Lassie always managed to convey messages like "Timmy's in the well," so I'm sure we could figure something out.
And one should surely use smilies sparingly. :D :D :D :) :o :lol: :wink: :mrgreen:

Eternal Density wrote:Back from doing some gardening at my grandparents' place.
Nothing particularly relevant or amusing about that, just thought I'd say hi and that's all I could think of.

Do they have any grapevines or molpyberry bushes, or maybe weird trees? 'Cause then it would be RELATED. But it's nice to see you regardless.

I've noticed that I when I try to type "grapevine," it often ends up as "gravepine." Does that mean something?

*trips over a box*
Au, that was a bad plan!

Pretty good trick, considering you don't apparently have any arms to flail or legs to trip over anything. Btw, what are you holding in your nonexistent hands? It looks like a picture of a cup of coffee with a flag stuck in it. I mean, the picture has a flag stuck in it.

Jose, can I just say again how awesomeful the ecclesiastical calendar is?
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts.Image
lmjb1964

Location: In the present. Still need to ketchup NP 2026-2058 and then, something like 2060-2090.

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:01 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
*trips over a box*
Au, that was a bad plan!

Pretty good trick, considering you don't apparently have any arms to flail or legs to trip over anything. Btw, what are you holding in your nonexistent hands? It looks like a picture of a cup of coffee with a flag stuck in it. I mean, the picture has a flag stuck in it.

Recently I became alive again. I'm not a zombie. It's just a bit embarrassing, I forgot I was dead.
It's a remote for something brillilous. Can't for the life of me remember what it was for but BlitzGirl gave it to me.
Yaay!
Neil_Boekend

Postby karhell » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:11 am UTC

From another thread
PolakoVoador wrote:
karhell wrote:I hereby nominate elasto for the understatement of the year.
Heartwarming doesn't even begin to describe this

I second this statement from my fellow penguin.

So apparently I'm a penguin...
This both confuses and amuses me ^^

Neil_Boekend wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:
*trips over a box*
Au, that was a bad plan!

Recently I became alive again. I'm not a zombie. It's just a bit embarrassing, I forgot I was dead.
It's a remote for something brillilous. Can't for the life of me remember what it was for but BlitzGirl gave it to me.

I've dispatched a temporal search party. They should be returning shortly.
jjjdavidson wrote:And of course, buffygirl's right. Reality should never get in the way of xkcd logic.
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
BlitzGirl wrote:I will carefully catalogue your army and give each one of your soldiers a silly name. Fear me!
karhell

Reference to the new OtherComic here. But no link. :P

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:40 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:
*trips over a box*
Au, that was a bad plan!

I guess it wasn't a very serious death.
ImagePlay the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

Eternal Density

Postby karhell » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:49 am UTC

The temporal search party are back, with results :

Here is where it starts.
BlitzGirl wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:Tree buck cat!

Spoiler:

Waaw, your google fu continues to amaze me. How in Newpixia did you find that?

Luckily, I have a magic flagwand that summons floors and relevant search results.

Neil_Boekend wrote:Cool, Do you have a spare? Can I have one?

BlitzGirl wrote:You'd have to ask the hamply. He manufactured my flagwand.

HES wrote:I only have the flagremote left, but it doesn't have any batteries.

ETA: PagePostEquilibrium was on NP1779. 269NP later I'm now at PPE+1000, which is about 5 posts/page, or 1/6th of the PostPagePostEquilibrium OTT. (3.6% overall)

After some discussion about how it only works when shaking it in tea, HES gives you the flagremote
HES wrote:Image

And finally, here is the current version, by ZoomanSP :
Neil_Boekend wrote:
ZoomanSP wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:
HES wrote:Time travelling tea in an imaginary teacup is what I meant by "batteries". I should probably have been more specific.
Okay, that is set up. Now I need to lean how to pick that flagremote up. Being a ghost isn't only fun and games.
HES wrote:
Spoiler:

Brillilous! *avatarred*
jjjdavidson wrote:And of course, buffygirl's right. Reality should never get in the way of xkcd logic.
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
BlitzGirl wrote:I will carefully catalogue your army and give each one of your soldiers a silly name. Fear me!
karhell

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:52 am UTC

So I could have used the flagremote not only to find out it was called a flagremote but also how I got it and what it was for! Brillilous!
Yaay!
Neil_Boekend

Postby karhell » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:54 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:So I could have used the flagremote not only to find out it was called a flagremote but also how I got it and what it was for! Brillilous!

Had you remembered it could be used like that, yes :mrgreen:

ETA : Brillilous is a good word, I like it ^^
karhell

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:09 am UTC

karhell wrote:ETA : Brillilous is a good word, I like it ^^

Can't claim to have invented it. That was Minim, I just mistyped brillulous.
Yaay!
Neil_Boekend

bftf-0405

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:27 am UTC

[Posted from the Mirror at Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:00 PM GMT]
"ENHANCONGNESS" TOTALLY JUST STOPPED SEEMING LIKE A REAL WORD. -- automome
Spoiler:
I'd highly recommend following the first commandment.
-- posted by lmjbot
lmjb1964

Location: In the present. Still need to ketchup NP 2026-2058 and then, something like 2060-2090.

bftf-0406

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:07 am UTC

IF MOMES ARE THE EQUIMOLPIES OF THE BAOBABBY, AND EQUIMOLPIES ARE THE PHONESAWS OF THE MUSTARDIS, WHY ARE WE STILL THWAPPONG MOMES? -- automome
Spoiler:
I'd highly recommend following the first commandment.
-- posted by bothasar_p
balthasar_s

http://www.xkcd.com/1437/

Postby ergman » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:07 pm UTC

Oh ED you clever bunny, that will teach me to read Subjects.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!

OTTer Meetup! I can't go, but YOU should!
ergman

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:02 pm UTC

Oops, I think I accidentally ended up in the basement. Still it's been worryingly easy to ketchup. Unfortunately it was too dark down there to see who else was around, so I can't help solve the "where'd CueballBlitzGirl go?" mystery.

Sustainabilizer, I unfortunately doubt that I can make it, as it would likely require too much annual leave, but I'll certainly give it some thought. If I were to make it, I'd probably be interested in giving a presentation. When do you need to know by?

Neil, I'm pretty sure that the What Ifs have been appearing on a Thor's dip (or possibly late mid-week's dip) for several mips now. I wonder why they changed.

Yup, definitely too quiet here. I might have to break out the tumbleweed again...
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

jimbobmacdoodle

Re: I think I'm talking to myself, actually.

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:07 pm UTC

azule wrote:yappo "I was going for "generic OTTer"." - Ah. Now I wonder what everyone's "generic OTTer" image is. Mine definitely does not have a top hat. It's hard for me to generalize us. While I have a hat, it still feels like I don't. I think a lot of others seem that way, too. Woah, SBN doesn't have a hat! Well, MSW, I believe. I'd like the wolpy to have a meowlpy as a hat. Because, they're friendly wolps. :)

We are extremely hard to generalise, which is why I went for a featureless stick figure (which could be anyone) with a hat (the fact it's a top hat has nothing to do with anything, it's just any hat) to signify OTTerness.
SBN wrote:It's up now. (And yes, it should have been up earlier.)

Orb Hammer is the name of my next prog metal band.
Sustainabilizer wrote:Update:
Current OTTer Feedback List
(in order of appearance, more or less)

?.? :?: yappobiscuits: Hey, what about a speech?

Can't say anything yet either way. I don't think I want to do a speech.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually. Wait for it.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT
yappobiscuits

Postby HES » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:35 pm UTC

Transport costs could be reduced by clever carcastle coordination.

As for BlitzGirl,
Spoiler:
But, I fear, captive of the Outside. We haven't received a ransom note yet.
Image - Image - Image
H@ chirpingmustard
HES

Postby ZoomanSP » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:53 pm UTC

I hope she comes bag soon. Her precious pile of punsaws gets rusty...
Spoiler:
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."
ZoomanSP

Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:48 pm UTC

I noticed BlitzGirl somewhere else in the Internet 3 days ago. Interesting, there are also other OTTers OTTing but if BlitzGirl is away the effect is stronger than if it was anyone else.
Also, some time ago I built lmjbot. The next one I wanted to build is a blitzgirlbot. I just have to find some time and some elements.
I believe that the "That's a robot but it totally counts." in lmjb's sig is a reference to the "that's a robot so it doesn't count" in my sig. But why is there a "that's a robot so it doesn't count"?
In my first decree I wrote:New here and already a pope?
DO NOT eat cassettes or throw bicycles at people!
More important than you might think.
But in my sig you can see someone throwing a bike at someone else.
But if you look close enough you see that she's throwing the bike at a robot which doesn't count as violating the decree.
I already told about the picture in my sig earlier but this is the first time I explain the text (I think).

Redundant
Spoiler:
sig2.GIF
sig2.GIF (17.99 KiB) Viewed 467 times
806. # .9 10 11 12. # 100% sustainability!
that's a robot so it doesn't count Image
balthasar_s

Postby Febrion » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:01 pm UTC

Due to a time travel experiment gone awry (T** E** just recently happened in my worldline, and the sandcastle builder was just getting off the ground) I've found myself several months in my future/your past1

So - have I missed anything? :D Other than a thousand or so pages in OTT that; while I would love to, I simply don't have the time to ketchup. After a brief mini-blitztwo...
uh, ok - after appending in the footnotes I kinda forgot what was going to go here - thanks alcomaholsqrt(69)... So, I'll just ask again, what have I missed?616

wonmonths? really? it really is true that the older you get, the faster time passes...
toobasically just checking out who's still posting, and briefly reading some multi-threaded commentspi
3pointwonforI forgot what was supposed to go here, distracted by pie - I like piegammer
third letter in the greek alphabet, as said by a new york cabbieI don't really know eitherbird
the wordare we nested enough yet?
number of a beastnest it to elven! rock onevil
am i?have you read "the good book"? I thought the villain was the hero, but apparently I'm wrong and going to he'llwhatever
what number am I on?damn you auto-correct
8-somethingyeah, I snuck a dirty joke in here, sorry
pioh yeah, forget the pie, I was talking about reading nested comments - basically my reasoning was that if something is nested enough times, it must be interesting, so I figured I could get at least some feel for what's been going down by checking out the most recurrant themesyeah, right
who's countingdoes anyone even have the patience to put up with this crap this long1190
timeI guess if you've followed the OTC and OTT this long, the answer is probably "yes"offtopic, but I'm not the artist that GLR is...
more offtipicyeah, the answer to any headline is always 'no', so this must be the exception that tests the rule
eleventy-oneburma-shave

*EDIT* So I just did a little browsing, and my last post (in the OTT, of course), was one year ago, TODAY - thats just surreal-1

SURREAL, not IMAGINARY(not real)sorry, I'm an idiot
Temporal Knight Sir Junction, Lord of the Sawtooth Snap
Time flies like a River, sand flies like a Trebuchét
Febrion

Postby Sustainabilizer » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:23 pm UTC

Febrion wrote:Due to a time travel experiment gone awry (T** E** just recently happened in my worldline, and the sandcastle builder was just getting off the ground) I've found myself several months in my future/your past1

So - have I missed anything? :D […]

Sort of …

Hi, Febrion! Image Welcome back!

You have missed a seaish number of things, for example:

ETA:
NoMouse wrote:[…] unfortunately I'm pretty sure I won't be participating, not in person. I'm working on my diploma thesis and I'm expecting in February/March everything will be ten times crazier than now...
That's a pity, but of course your diploma thesis has precedence.
NoMouse wrote:(also my introverted part of me is really scared of this)
The same holds for most of us, including myself.
Rest assured: Introvert persons will be most welcome at the meetup.

NoMouse wrote:I still don't understand what could be submitted or what else I could do if I'm not going there, but I would like to do something if it'll be within my abilities and if the Outside will let me do it.
I'm waiting for it. :)
NoMouse wrote:ETA: For decree: TARDIS. That's the only way I could get there without the need to worry about outside duties.
I have some TARDIS design in mind. Wait for it.

ETA2:
jimbobmacdoodle wrote:Sustainabilizer, I unfortunately doubt that I can make it, as it would likely require too much annual leave, but I'll certainly give it some thought. If I were to make it, I'd probably be interested in giving a presentation.
That would be molpish. :) And even in case you cannot come in person, be welcome to submit your presentation as a poster, as paper, or even as speech held by your selected proxy.
jimbobmacdoodle wrote:When do you need to know by?
The sooner we can estimate the number of participants, the better. However it's OK: I have learned to wait for it.

ETA3:
yappobiscuits wrote:
Sustainabilizer wrote:?.? :?: yappobiscuits: Hey, what about a speech?

Can't say anything yet either way. I don't think I want to do a speech.
So maybe you want to do a singgch?
BTW, your girlfriend is welcome, too.
And don't forget: We are all GLR: scientists and artists.
Last edited by Sustainabilizer on Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:52 pm UTC, edited 4 times in total.
Sustainabilizer

PH'NGLUI MGLW'NAFH CUEGAN ᘝᓄᘈᖉᐣ WGAH'NAGL FHTAGN

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:39 pm UTC

ergman wrote:Oh ED you clever bunny, that will teach me to read Subjects.

I often forget to read subjects. And I had to re-read the OtherComic again to get the reference. :)

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:Oops, I think I accidentally ended up in the basement. Still it's been worryingly easy to ketchup. Unfortunately it was too dark down there to see who else was around, so I can't help solve the "where'd CueballBlitzGirl go?" mystery.

Sustainabilizer, I unfortunately doubt that I can make it, as it would likely require too much annual leave, but I'll certainly give it some thought. If I were to make it, I'd probably be interested in giving a presentation. When do you need to know by?

Neil, I'm pretty sure that the What Ifs have been appearing on a Thor's dip (or possibly late mid-week's dip) for several mips now. I wonder why they changed.

Yup, definitely too quiet here. I might have to break out the tumbleweed again...

Glad you made it out. Hm, I wonder if BlitzGirl got stuck on those Escher stairs in the basement. We really should get rid of those.

Yes, it's not for nothing that BlitzGirl was called the heart and soul of the OTT. Maybe it was too much pressure for her. I sent her a PM, but she hasn't looked at it yet, since it's still in my Outbox (thanks for the explanation, balthasmart). I'm hoping that she either has a fabulous new job or a fabulous new romance that is keeping her busy but happy. And I'm hoping that she will find her way back here to tell us about it. In the meantime, we just need to Wait for It, and be the heart and soul for her till she gets back.

OK, I hope that it's not being too stalky, but I just saw a post on Facebug that suggests she was recently off having a good time. Molpish to know.

It is sometimes hard to see how slowly the NewPages pass, but I take comfort in the fact that still, all this Time after the *nd of Time, the OTT is rarely out of the top 2 or 3 on the fora list, and I don't think I've ever seen it below no. 5. Still life in these wolpies yet.

Oh, Sustainabilizer, BlueCrab has also not picked up her PM, so she still doesn't know about the conference. :(

balthasar_s wrote:I noticed BlitzGirl somewhere else in the Internet 3 days ago. Interesting, there are also other OTTers OTTing but if BlitzGirl is away the effect is stronger than if it was anyone else.
Also, some time ago I built lmjbot. The next one I wanted to build is a blitzgirlbot. I just have to find some time and some elements.
I believe that the "That's a robot but it totally counts." in lmjb's sig is a reference to the "that's a robot so it doesn't count" in my sig. But why is there a "that's a robot so it doesn't count"?
In my first decree I wrote:New here and already a pope?
DO NOT eat cassettes or throw bicycles at people!
More important than you might think.
But in my sig you can see someone throwing a bike at someone else.
But if you look close enough you see that she's throwing the bike at a robot which doesn't count as violating the decree.
I already told about the picture in my sig earlier but this is the first time I explain the text (I think).

Redundant
Spoiler:
sig2.GIF

Yes, that line in my sig is an hommage to your sig. I don't think you explained it before, but it makes my use of it even more relevant--nobody better throw a bike at my little lmjbot! Which reminds me, I have a picture to post. Maybe on my next post. An awesomeful picture.

Febrion wrote:Due to a time travel experiment gone awry (T** E** just recently happened in my worldline, and the sandcastle builder was just getting off the ground) I've found myself several months in my future/your past1

So - have I missed anything? :D Other than a thousand or so pages in OTT that; while I would love to, I simply don't have the time to ketchup. After a brief mini-blitztwo...
uh, ok - after appending in the footnotes I kinda forgot what was going to go here - thanks alcomaholsqrt(69)... So, I'll just ask again, what have I missed?616

wonmonths? really? it really is true that the older you get, the faster time passes...
toobasically just checking out who's still posting, and briefly reading some multi-threaded commentspi
3pointwonforI forgot what was supposed to go here, distracted by pie - I like piegammer
third letter in the greek alphabet, as said by a new york cabbieI don't really know eitherbird
the wordare we nested enough yet?
number of a beastnest it to elven! rock onevil
am i?have you read "the good book"? I thought the villain was the hero, but apparently I'm wrong and going to he'llwhatever
what number am I on?damn you auto-correct
8-somethingyeah, I snuck a dirty joke in here, sorry
pioh yeah, forget the pie, I was talking about reading nested comments - basically my reasoning was that if something is nested enough times, it must be interesting, so I figured I could get at least some feel for what's been going down by checking out the most recurrant themesyeah, right
who's countingdoes anyone even have the patience to put up with this crap this long1190
timeI guess if you've followed the OTC and OTT this long, the answer is probably "yes"offtopic, but I'm not the artist that GLR is...
more offtipicyeah, the answer to any headline is always 'no', so this must be the exception that tests the rule
eleventy-oneburma-shave

*EDIT* So I just did a little browsing, and my last post (in the OTT, of course), was one year ago, TODAY - thats just surreal-1

SURREAL, not IMAGINARY(not real)sorry, I'm an idiot

Yay, Febrion is back!! Welcome to the future/past! It's been awhile since we had some great footnotes like that, thanks! We're still here, much slower, but still here. You should check out the Time after Time series by SilentTimer (does someone have the link handy? Or is Link handy?) and the ongoing one by balthasar. Ketchup is much easier these days, due to the slower rate, which is *ndish but at least makes it easier to stay in the present. The current crisis is that BlitzGirl's gone missing (also related to the slower pace). But treeish stuff is still happening.

Preview edit: What the ch*rp is that in my subject?? :shock:
Imagesmiley by yappo
lmjb1964

Postby ZoomanSP » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:44 pm UTC

Hi Febrion! Image
Febrion wrote:if something is nested enough times, it must be internesting

FTFY, and I totally didn't read it like this the first Time...
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
ZoomanSP

Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Re: PH'NGLUI MGLW'NAFH CUEGAN ᘝᓄᘈᖉᐣ WGAH'NAGL FHTAGN

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:53 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Yes, that line in my sig is an hommage to your sig. I don't think you explained it before, but it makes my use of it even more relevant--nobody better throw a bike at my little lmjbot! Which reminds me, I have a picture to post. Maybe on my next post. An awesomeful picture.
But do you know why she threw a bike at the robot?
He was an evil robot overlord. And she was angry because he did't want to give her a sandwitch (actually, nobody did, but he was her boss and the evil overlord, and she left us for him because he promised her sandwitches) This is the drawing from the bottom of page 7 of "A President Fell Off Your Head" - A comic I drew in 2011 (or was it 2012?). A alreadt linhed to that page several times, but this time I translated it for you, doesn't make sense, I don't know what the Balthasar from the past was thinking.
Spoiler:

Redundant:
Spoiler:
ro27en.PNG
806. # .9 10 11 12. # 100% sustainability!
that's a robot so it doesn't count Image
balthasar_s

Prompting OTTers to reread the OtherComic is just one of the

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:10 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:I often forget to read subjects. And I had to re-read the OtherComic again to get the reference.
You're welcome :D

Eternal Density

Postby ergman » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:19 pm UTC

Hi Febrion! Hi Jimbob! Welcome to the Present, where OTTer's are currently needed most. Stay awhile, please.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!

OTTer Meetup! I can't go, but YOU should!
ergman

Postby HES » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:33 pm UTC

The question is, Laura, are Escher stairs better than no stairs at all?

Hi Febrion! Nice to have convoluted footnotes making a return
Image - Image - Image
H@ chirpingmustard
HES

I SEE WHAT BOB THWAPPED THERE

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:39 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:I often forget to read subjects. And I had to re-read the OtherComic again to get the reference.

Just one of the what? JUST ONE OF THE WHAT???
Imagesmiley by yappo
lmjb1964

Postby ZoomanSP » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:57 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Wait for it.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
ZoomanSP

WOLPY IS THE FIRSTPOST OF THE SHIPCASTLES

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:12 pm UTC

HES wrote:The question is, Laura, are Escher stairs better than no stairs at all?

Hi Febrion! Nice to have convoluted footnotes making a return

I think so. If there are no stairs, you might work on finding another way out--pile up some chairs, rope ladder, OTTer pyramid, whatever. With the Escher staircase, you think you're getting somewhere, then you're right back where you started. So discouraging.

I don't know what Balthasar from the past was thinking, but I like it. :D

And Zooman: Ok, I will.
Imagesmiley by yappo
lmjb1964

Also sarcasm, but not right now.

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:12 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:

Just one of the what? JUST ONE OF THE WHAT???

services I offer.

Eternal Density

TO MOLPY ABOUT OR NOT TO MOLPY ABOUT, THAT IS THE QUESTION

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:25 pm UTC

Thank you. I feel much better.

I'm never sarcastic.
Imagesmiley by yappo
lmjb1964

Time Randomly Revisited - np2935

Postby mscha » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:00 am UTC

LARONGES...
Spoiler:
RUN.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:MAYBE BIGGEST BANGS BROTHER HAD AN ABORTION! MAYBE THE OTC IS A METAPHOR FOR THIS!

-- posted by randompixbot
mscha

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:59 am UTC

Automome seems to have a weak grasp of how human (or stick figure) reproduction works. Well, I assume stick figure reproduction works fundamentally the same way human reproduction does.

Eta loks like lmjbot invited a few of her friends over, Google and Alexa.
Imagesmiley by yappo
lmjb1964

SHORTDO IS THE BRAINSLUG OF THE OINTMENT

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:26 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Automome seems to have a weak grasp of how human (or stick figure) reproduction works. Well, I assume stick figure reproduction works fundamentally the same way human reproduction does.

You mean the little bits of one mix with the little bits of the other and make more little bits that grow into bigger bits that grow into a babby?

Although in xkcd it usually seems to just sort of skip most of the in between parts.
ChronosDragon

Postby ucim » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:21 am UTC

Act 3, scene 12
At rise: The courtyard of the Cathedral where macraw83's BlitzGirl canonization and waveny's bestowal had taken place. The noises of the celebration compete with the roar of the Great Waterfall, which can be seen behind them. Mist from the cascade drifts across the setting, giving a surreal look to it. The Pope and First Cleric are alone.

The Pope wrote:A hotdog?
Agitated, First Cleric wrote:Yes, a hotdog! It's a hotdog! I saw it so clearly on expedition!
The Pope wrote:Exactly what is a hotdog?
First Cleric wrote:Rosetta! Beanies! Lucky! It's a hotdog! It's mustard!

The Pope takes a moment to consider this. He then calmly replies:
The Pope wrote:Shall I get the chocolate now? Or do we need to burn a steak?
Spoiler:
First Cleric wrote:No, this is not heresy. It is revelation. It was so clear up there, but now I can barely remember.

The lights dim and a spotlight picks First Cleric out of the setting, deep in concentration, trying to put together the shards of enlightenment that remain from his experience. He continues.
First Cleric wrote:Prayer isn't heresy. But mustard isn't mustard. I know that doesn't make any sense, but it's true. Mustard is what makes it all happen. If there weren't mustard, we wouldn't even be here. Everything would be perfect, unchanging, uninteresting. Change something, it would get worse. No matter what you did, it would make it worse. And that is mustard. There would be no reason to be. And with that, we would never have come into existence at all.

To be, or not to be: that is the question:
Whether 'tis truer that we blindly suffer
the trebuchets of outrageous fortune
and take arms against our seaish troubles,
and though opposed, befriend them. Comply, then weep.
No more these thoughts - for by these thoughts
the heart a thousand ways will soon outfox
the flesh it's heir to. Or is it that
perfection is the truth? Unchanging there,
with nought to add and nought to take away.
As if to sleep. To die, to sleep:
To sleep, but not to dream. It gives one pause.
Is this the consummation devoutly to be wished?
Aye, there's the rub. For in perfection,
though no mustard comes, no mortal coil remains
to seed our passage there. Quietus made,
without a bodkin, cloaked or bare.
Who would fardels bear if there were not
a "who"? A "why"? A "where"?
So as the mustard gives us ills we have,
and sends us others that we know not of,
by the native hue of resolution always note:
Life is change, and change is mirth.
We must not pursue too hard, and kill
The very mustard that's our birth.

Lights return to the scene and the spotlight fades. The Pope is speechless for a moment.
First Cleric wrote:Mustard makes the world go round.
The Pope wrote:That does not make any sense at all.
First Cleric wrote:Then it must be true.
The Pope wrote:Yes indeed. It must.

The Pope kneels before First Cleric.
The Pope wrote:That is a Most Holy Contradiction. Smopu hvala nuvi dict amuah!
First Cleric wrote:Smopu hvala nuvi dict amuah cosi!

First Cleric kneels before The Pope, and The Pope rises.
First Cleric wrote:Your prayers. They are molpish, but also seaish.
The Pope wrote:One should pray like the sea. The sea is big.
First Cleric wrote:The sea does what it wants. Be careful.
The Pope wrote:I will. But as you have shared your enlightenment with me, I must likewise share my enlightenment with you. Rosetta is not the end. There are tiles afterwards - there's a wedding, there's a meeting, the Raft People's strange language, with more to come. And there is much waiting while I'm praying.
First Cleric wrote:And are you waiting here while you are waiting in prayer?
The Pope wrote:I don't understand.
First Cleric wrote:If you wait in too many ways, you are no longer waiting. Certainly you are no longer waiting for it.
The Pope wrote:You make a good point. But there are so many ways to Time. There isn't One True Way. Redundancy is vital. Molpish even.
First Cleric wrote:Up to a point. If you do everything, you've done nothing.
The Pope wrote:And if you've do nothing, you've also done nothing. But you know who would have insight?
First Cleric wrote:BlitzGirl.
The Pope wrote:Indeed. Let's see if she'll grant us audience.

The two exit stage right.
Jose
(<-- previous (NP 2117) | table of contents (on xkcd wiki)
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar
ucim

Smopu hvala nuvi dict amuah cosi!

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:38 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:Automome seems to have a weak grasp of how human (or stick figure) reproduction works. Well, I assume stick figure reproduction works fundamentally the same way human reproduction does.

You mean the little bits of one mix with the little bits of the other and make more little bits that grow into bigger bits that grow into a babby?

Although in xkcd it usually seems to just sort of skip most of the in between parts.
"in between parts"
:azule:

Eternal Density

Re: PH'NGLUI MGLW'NAFH CUEGAN ᘝᓄᘈᖉᐣ WGAH'NAGL FHTAGN

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:41 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Preview edit: What the ch*rp is that in my subject?? :shock:

It seems to summon the Great Old One Cuegan. I didn't know Cuegan was an ancient Lovecraftian evil set on destroying human kind.
Yaay!
Neil_Boekend

CONSIDER THE ONGS OF THE BASEMENT

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:31 am UTC

Since it's been a while since I checked it, I finished reading Nimona (previously linked from the OTT) a few minutes ago.
*dries eyes*

Eternal Density

Previous

Return to Individual XKCD Comic Threads