1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

taixzo

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby taixzo » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:55 am UTC

Happy (slightly belated) Timiversary, everyone!
(I was out of town for the weekend.) Also, welcome back to all the recent de-basementees!

Ack, BlitzGirl's back! *scrambles rapidly to hide the rampant punning of the last dozen newpages*

BlitzGirl wrote:Thank you arotenbe for saving the very first newpix - though the direct image link may be lost for all Time, at least we have that copy. Hm. One of these yips we must try and cajole the address of that image from GLR - how, I have no idea, and that's probably low priority compared to the sea of other questions we have about Time, but it is steambottlish not to have that link.

I've asked Randall a few times in IRC, but he always ignores the question, even if he was actively talking. I suppose it is intended to remain a mystery.

Rakhal wrote:Even as we speak the events of t-1 are taking place to the east. Poor beanies!

West. (Or, technically, very very far east.)
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, iskinner, and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Gingercat

The Chronicles of Torgos, Vol. 15

Postby Gingercat » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:48 am UTC

Welcome to The Chronicles of Torgos, Vol. 15! The theme of today's update is "The Enemy Within", where Torgos and co. track down the Dread Captain and his remaining allies, and things take a very interesting twist...
<- Volume 14

The journal pages here feel thick and heavy, like they're weighed down with the knowledge of several lifetimes. Their very existence seems slightly fuzzy, as if they're having trouble maintaining the one physical form; they seem to shift their base substance from paper to iron to copper to silver to paper, while maintaining the texture of heavy paper...

The journal continues:

Spoiler:
Having dealt with one of the vampiric crew, we head straight to the main keep and begin exploring. We find an obsidian tunnel leading into the extinct volcano that the keep is built into the side of, and lacking any better options for sneaking in (kicking in the front door seems like a Very Bad Idea), we make our way into it. The Barbarian makes an appearance here as well; it seems that she feels that the vampiric courtesans are worthy of an attempt at redemption / curing of their vampirism, and that they're essentially innocent in these goings-on (they don't actively kill anyone; they're just making the best of a pretty poor situation), so she's going to try and save the two she disappeared with. Fair enough; that's an example that I think I can follow.

The going is quite rough in this tunnel; lava-flow tunnels are filled with exceptionally sharp spines of rock. By the time we got to the end of it, we were all bleeding in various places from cuts; even my scales couldn't fully prevent the spines from digging in and breaking off. Incredibly unpleasant for all involved.

Finally reaching the end of the tunnel, we find a narrow stone chimney that raises a considerable distance before ending abruptly in what appears to be a solid wooden door laid horizontally across the top of the chimney, complete with a very ornate lock and handle. It's wide enough that if we could levitate, two of us would be able to travel directly upward side by side. The walls are very smooth, with no handholds available even for the most adept among us at climbing (and that certainly isn't me!), so we begin discussions on exactly how we're going to do this. Even if we use the Rope of Climbing in our possession, it's still too far up to reach the rope if it anchors itself to the door, which I have no doubt will also be trapped in some manner.

After some back and forth of ideas within the group, I come up with a plan: I can use my Transmutation skills to create some iron pitons out of the stone that is readily available around me! By the time the magic wears off and they revert to stone, we will be long-gone and no longer need them. Humming a working tune to myself, the others sit by and chat while I create a high-quality set of pitons. Using these, our resident Rogue uses them and the Rope to easily climb up the shaft and start examing the door; he's able to balance on a set of pitons while he works, making the trap examination a LOT easier. He calls down to us "Definitely trapped! Looks like it's set to go off when the door is opened", and he sets to work disarming it. It seems to take a long time; there's a prolonged sound of tinkering, clicks, mutterings from the Rogue, and mechanical adjustments. Once he's finished, he calls down that the trap has been disarmed and flings the door open with a crash; we all begin climbing up the rope and pitons to the now-open door. While we had no doubt that our movements were known anyway (the vampire lord is able to use rats, bats and other small creatures as countless spies in his domain), the echoing BOOM of the door crashing open would be as good as a personal retinue of horn-blowing heralds. Upon reaching the top and looking at the door, we can see that the rogue simply removed the entire locking mechanism. A bit difficult for a magical trap to spring if the mechanism it's monitoring doesn't exist as part of the door anymore!

We find ourselves in a hallway with a plain stone door at either end. Along the walls of the section leading east, there seem to be a lot of small holes in the walls, which are also lined with portraits. The eyes in these portraits are of the art style where they seem to follow your every move; very creepy. Covering the hall from one side to the other is a gridwork of very fine wires - Obviously a trap, but very easy to walk straight into (and get pincushioned by crossbow bolts for your efforts!) if you're not paying close attention. Aside from the tripwires, there's also a pressure plate in the floor. Once again our trusty Rogue does some tinkering and disables the traps; I try to Detect Magic, and the portraits show up as having some sort of magic inherent to them. Traps within traps!

Walking past one, a Wraith materialises out of it and attacks us! Unfortunately for it, we're more than capable of taking down one Wraith; it gets thoroughly trounced without even landing a single blow. Grinning evilly, I say "I've got an idea!" and use a Firebolt cantrip on the next portrait along. Naturally, another Wraith materialises from it, and gets trounced just as easily. Laughing and delighted by the idea of applying FIRE to a problem, I continue to Firebolt every remaining portrait one at a time while my comrades lay the smack down on everything that emerges. The party's Paladin then sanctifies the skeletal remains secreted into the alcoves behind each now-ruined painting, and we approach the door at the end of the hall. The Rogue checks for traps... And the stone door itself seems to be trapped (of course it is); the trap is magical in nature. I examine the trap to see if I can tell anything about it, and all I can tell is that the entire door has an aura of transmutation magic.

With no obvious leads, we decide that we're not going to let a simple stone door stand in our way! I toss a Firebolt at it to see if it triggers the trap, and the Firebolt splashes harmlessly across the stone and dissipates; no reaction from the trap. The Barbarian decides to "axe it a question", strikes the door to start destroying it... And the door grows a pair of stone hands that immediately grab the axe and start crushing it! The axe is having none of that though; it's destined for greater things than being mangled by a silly pair of stone hands. They crush an impressive set of dents into its edge, turning it from a smooth edge into a serrated one, before the Barbarian wrenches it free. Mighty offended, she attacks the door in a rage, and every strike gets her grappled by another set of hands; her last strike is with the very hefty ironshod boots she's wearing, which just so happen to deal massive extra damage to construction work and the like... Such as this door! She's temporarily held by three separate sets of hands, but gets free, smashes the door some more, and turns it to dust. In short order, the door is defeated, the axe looks even more badass, and we can proceed... Into another hallway (this time just a plain hallway) with another door of the same kind at the other end of it.

Since noone feels like fighting another door, we consider ways around it. I could use a Stoneshape spell to create a tunnel directly around the door through the wall... Or I could just transmute the stone that the hinges attach to and turn it into thin, flimsy, low-grade copper... Done! The door immediately tears free of its moorings since the copper absolutely can't handle the weight, and it falls forward and onto the floor with an echoing BOOM. We carefully make our way around it and through the doorway... And find ourselves facing a handsome, black-eyed individual wearing a tarnished golden crown. I know from my visions who this is, and it's not the Dread Captain; it's one of his underlings. After some of our usual pre-battle banter, we get right down to it and start smashing him. During the battle, he points a finger at the Rogue and utters some complex trigger words; the crown on his head glows, and a twisted iron crown appears on the Rogue's head. I recognise this; I yell "Crown of Madness, guys!!" as the Rogue suddenly grins evilly, turns to the Paladin, and SHANKS him.

[OOC: He rolled near-max damage for this, and it's perfectly in-character for him to strongly dislike the Paladin anyway so hey, opportunity to settle an old grudge... And how!]

The Paladin is one-shot by this Sneak Attack out of nowhere and goes down in a heap. Thankfully the Rogue is able to break the spell before he's inclined to do any further damage (the iron crown on his head shatters and vanishes), and I give the Paladin one of my few remaining Potions of Healing. He's back up and in the fight, heals himself, and the fight is properly on! After getting absolutely wrecked, Crown Head goes down and stays down, and his appearance changes to that of a tiger-man... It turns out that he's a Rakshasa! That crown he's got is thoroughly cursed; anyone who isn't a Fiend puts it on, they're gonna have a bad time as it sends them permanently mad unless removed with a Remove Curse spell. Nasty!

Another door, another stone-to-copper transmutation, and we enter the next room through its eastern door. We are suddenly faced with THREE enemies. A female vampire with a big, heavy leatherbound tome, wearing fancy robes (known from my divinations as "The Librarian"); a platemail-clad warrior vampire with a massive Greatsword slung across his back (henceforth nicknamed "Tin Man"); and the Big Bad himself, a Vampire Lord, the Dread Captain: Ivan Dawntide! Tall, handsome, dressed in a Cloak of Shadows, he's a truly imposing figure. Our Barbarian attempts to strike up a conversation with the two underlings, telling them that we're only here for Big Ugly there and we have no beef with them personally. The Librarian informs us that we can go thoroughly and directly to Hell, but Tin Man remains impassive (which is interesting); he doesn't say anything, doesn't even unsling his greatsword, he just stands back and observes. We begin our battle with the Librarian as I dump a Lightningball on her head for her insolence, being sure to include Ivan in the blast radius (but not Tin Man!), and it's on for young and old. The Librarian is taking heavy damage, and her spells aren't really doing as much damage to us as she'd like, myself and my companions have been taking obvious care to not hit Tin Man with any attacks, spells or splash damage (we'll continue to leave him alone unless he takes obviously hostile actions), and Tin Man himself just stands back and watches. After a few rounds of battle, Tin Man decides to act. He unslings his greatsword, moves slowly and deliberately into the combat...

And shanks The Librarian with the greatsword, shoving it right through her.

My mouth simply falls open at this point as she turns to him with a hissing shriek and spouts an impressive stream of insults and vitriol, before turning and fleeing directly up the wall (vampires inherently have Spider Climb at all times). He simply follows her up the wall and shanks her again (that's GOTTA hurt), while my comrades turn their attention to Ivan himself since The Librarian is now out of reach. I get another Great Idea, and carefully consider the implications of bouncing a Lightning Bolt through the Librarian, onto the ceiling, and using the reflection angle to have it come back down and hit Ivan as well - Two bats with one bolt! [OOC: The DM loves this idea and has me roll an Arcana Check to see if I can actually pull off the correct angle. With a base roll of 18 even before any of my bonuses, it's a definite "Yes".] The successful execution of this idea fills me with Inspiration! That will be sure to come in handy later, either for myself or to assist one of my comrades should the need arise. [OOC: The DM awarded Torgos "Inspiration" for this, because it was "a truly inspired idea".] It's at this point that Ivan decides to activate the suits of armor, which suddenly animate and come at us.

Seeing that things are going thoroughly south, the Librarian drops to the floor and runs through the southern doorway, with Tin Man following close behind, the stone door slamming shut behind them (no doubt it's of the same nature as the others); I can only wonder precisely what happened between those two for him to take such an aggressive stance against her (assisting us in the process). Ivan rolls his eyes in a manner that practically yells "Ugh, not AGAIN", tells us that he'll deal with us idiotic interlopers later, turns into Swarm of Bats Form and vanishes into the ceiling and out through one of the many boltholes in it, doubtless going after his spawn to slap some Lordly Sense into them. With his departure, the animated armors stop as suddenly as they started.

Suddenly finding ourselves without enemies, the group collectively shrugs and decides to go exploring. We could theoretically go after them, but just finding them may be difficult, and it seems that Tin Man will take care of the Librarian for us. At the western end of the room, another doorway beckons, this one appearing to lead to a library...
Last edited by Gingercat on Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:02 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I am Schrödinger's Gingercat.

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "Ket"

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:57 am UTC

I've begun to ketchup, and I have determined that it seems 'Reekslayer' is not the name of an exiting metal band. So I posit it as a Vital Hotdog Function metal cover band. Well, more metal than VHF sometimes is.

Last nip StormAngel and I played some hotcardboarddogs with friends. Both were new to us: Port Royal and Villages of Valeria. Both are pretty treeish! Both involve resource management and figuring out which cards to invest in to get the most victory points before the game ends sooner than I anticipated. Fun :D

And now, this:

ETA
addams wrote:Opalized Wood must be so beautiful.
Imagine the process of creation...

One replacement molecule at a Time over long spans of Time...
And; You didn't bother?? well...We are each our own individuals.
I've seen opal and I've seen wood, seeing them put together didn't seem extremely urgent. It's not that I don't think it's interesting, but I wasn't in a museumy mood.

There's ways of artificially making opal-like substances in a matter of months, so opals can probably form in only a few years given the right conditions.
Last edited by Eternal Density on Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:18 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:03 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:I've begun to ketchup, and I have determined that it seems 'Reekslayer' is not the name of an exiting metal band. So I posit it as a Vital Hotdog Function metal cover band. Well, more metal than VHF sometimes is.

Last nip StormAngel and I played some hotcardboarddogs with friends. Both were new to us: Port Royal and Villages of Valeria. Both are pretty treeish! Both involve resource management and figuring out which cards to invest in to get the most victory points before the game ends sooner than I anticipated. Fun :D

Hee hee, a like the idea of a VHF cover band called Reekslayer.

And those hotdogs sound similar to A Feast For Odin.

addams

Postby addams » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:47 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:And now, this:

ETA
addams wrote:Opalized Wood must be so beautiful.
Imagine the process of creation...

One replacement molecule at a Time over long spans of Time...
And; You didn't bother?? well...We are each our own individuals.
I've seen opal and I've seen wood, seeing them put together didn't seem extremely urgent. It's not that I don't think it's interesting, but I wasn't in a museumy mood.

There's ways of artificially making opal-like substances in a matter of months, so opals can probably form in only a few years given the right conditions.
How??
Spoiler:
Just drop me a link.
I will amuse myself trying to understand it...
The Bright OTTer Blanket is Pretty!
It is Nice to have you back present in the present.

Have you seen all the other Otters coming present?
It has been very exciting. Echoes from not long ago.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Revisited - np152

Postby mscha » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:40 am UTC

LUNGTHINESSES...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by jeffallen55.)

Replay Time live here!

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:"DEMUSTARD THE BRAINSLUG" SOUNDS LIKE A DUNEJUMPISH HOTDOG.

-- posted by oldpixbot

Rakhal

Postby Rakhal » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:50 am UTC

More molpishness!

addams wrote:
Cheep plants, Cheep fish, Cheep any living thing...
Those things may be carrying contagious disease and/or pests!

Well, when things go 'cheep' you know what they are doing!

GnomeAnne wrote:
This is not good, all the cool people show up and no one has cake?
I will have to make one.
**Waves excitedly at
Earthling
BlitzGirl
yappobiscuits
Sciscitor
Quantized
mscha
And
Rakhal

Cake... cake is good. You can never have enough cake!

GnomeAnne wrote:
ETA:I originally wrote "I'm with our Stormwarden on this one", but then I thought is "our/the Stormwarden" correct, or should it be treated like a name "I'm with Stormwarden"?
I have been assuming it is a title, but now that I wrote it I'm not so sure. Is it from stormlight?

Rakhal Stormwarden has been my internet name since 1990 when I started playing a game called IgorMud. It was sort of inspired by a character in one of the Darkover books.
Been a long time since I've MUDded, I doubt many do these days :(
I also used to run a fanfiction site called 'The Penultimate Ranma Fanfiction Index' and still own the domain 'rakhal.com'

--Rakhal

(prepares for a long day demustarding brainslugs...)

balthasar_s

Re: Basement Blindpost

Postby balthasar_s » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:56 am UTC

macraw83 wrote:and b_s has been supplying us with a steady diet of puzzles and stories as well
Don't eat puzzles!

mrob27 wrote:@balthasar_s, sorry if Q04B was a bit frustrating. I think the purpose was to have the tiles be a surprise. The total number of Q04B tiles is approximately log2(the Sea). Timbormeb played for 16 mips and got over 400,000,000 points.
Not actually frustrating.
I don't go back to the game because I'm not someone who plays games so much.

We created enough 2 words paragraphs that there are now two before pages.
BFTF replay.
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023. # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here is why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't count Image
This text was autogenerated:

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:34 am UTC

What colorful waterottermolpies you've found, ED!

Huh, we're almost done with the camera-panning in the OTC replay already? I remember it being much longer, but that might be because I never experienced it live. I only ever blitzed the newpages where the OTT was discussing it.

taixzo wrote:Ack, BlitzGirl's back! *scrambles rapidly to hide the rampant punning of the last dozen newpages*

Image Luckily for all you punners I won't manage to schizoblitz those newpages until maybe next yip someTime. I'm sure the statute of limitations will have run out.

Speaking of luckish things, another Rosetta-in-a-castle panel:

The more Timey version, I suppose, of this old sketch:
Spoiler:
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:34 pm UTC

GnomeAnne: I see you had a similar idea about your avatar.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, iskinner, and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Revisited - np170

Postby mscha » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:40 pm UTC

LUNGSIGHTEDNESS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by dawnfire.)

Replay Time live here!

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:IF HARPSICHORDS ARE THE CHIRPIES OF THE MOME, AND CHIRPIES ARE THE RIBBITS OF THE PRICKLYMOLP, WHY ARE WE STILL SUSTAINABILIZING HARPSICHORDS?

-- posted by oldpixbot

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:25 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:GnomeAnne: I see you had a similar idea about your avatar.

Yes, for the madness. I use a similar one to yours in some other places, but I like the show better than Cameron's film anyway, so I used this one here. I do like the movie, I just like the show more. I was worried the sequels wouldn't be as good, but it looks like they well be.
Waiting For It...

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:44 pm UTC

In his post-title, Eternal Density wrote:GREEN FLAMES!
Referencing Acquisitions Incorporated, or something else, or something random?

Gingercat wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:I've begun to ketchup, and I have determined that it seems 'Reekslayer' is not the name of an exiting metal band. So I posit it as a Vital Hotdog Function metal cover band. Well, more metal than VHF sometimes is.

Considering that I've never played any of those three games, I'll say they all sound like Dominion. What are some of the ways they are different?

balthasar_s wrote:
macraw83 wrote:and b_s has been supplying us with a steady diet of puzzles and stories as well
Don't eat puzzles!
Are puzzles better or worse for you than cassettes?
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:46 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Spoiler:

That sketch is gorgeous!! Amazing!!

I would absolutely love to see more art in that exact style.

Edit to add: The next Torgos update will be completely caught up; you'll finally get to see whether he gets the redemption he craves, or whether he caves in to his madness and goes full Chaotic Evil...

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:35 am UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:Hey ED, sounds like you passed through Ebor on your trip. I did parts of my field work there. Did you see the Ebor Wowterfalls?

Did we EVER!!!
Spoiler:
20170317_152524.jpg
20170317_145944.jpg
macraw83 wrote:
In his post-title, Eternal Density wrote:GREEN FLAMES!
Referencing Acquisitions Incorporated, or something else, or something random?

Gingercat wrote:

Considering that I've never played any of those three games, I'll say they all sound like Dominion. What are some of the ways they are different?
Earlier that dip, I came acr,ss someone who referenced Acquisitions Incorporated and explained the reference, and since i like memes I did so too.

Game differences: (between Dominion, Port Royal, and Villages of Valeria)
Decks and drawing/discarding cards:
Spoiler:
Dominion is a deck-building game in which you buy/gain cards from the supply and they become part of your personal deck. You draw a hand of five cards from your own draw pile each turn. In Port Royal you don't have a hand at all, just an amount of gold and a lineup of people you have hired. People and ships (which give gold) are revealed from a single shared draw pile (there's also expeditions for longer term investments, and tax cards which are a catch-up mechanic). Discarded cards go to a single discard pile, which gets shuffled when the draw pile is empty. In VoV you do have a hand, and the cards in it you can Build to create a structure, Develop to become a resource generator, or discard for various purposes, but you don't have your own deck like in Dominion. Instead, any cards you discard go face-up on any one of the piles of available structures. When someone draws they can take the card at the top of any of those piles, or draw one from the single face-down pile if they don't like any of the face-up ones.

Money and Resources:
Spoiler:
In Dominion there are treasure cards which you can play to provide money points to spend on buying card(s) at the end of a turn. The treasure cards stay in your deck when used in this way. (The alchemy expansion also has a potion treasure type while works in the same way as the coins.) In Port Royal, when you earn gold you draw the appropriate number of cards from the deck face down and put them in front of you - all the cards have a single gold coin on the back. When you spend gold to hire a person you put that many of your facedown cards into the discard pile (you can then turn them over so all the discard pile is the same way up.)

In VoV it's a little more complicated. Any card you have chosen to Develop is a resource generator that produces one of the four types of resources. Each player has a number of gold tokens. When you want to Build one of your cards as a structure, you place a gold token on a resource generator card to get one of that resource. (Resources aren't represented by any tokens because they are consumed immediately to build the structure.) A resource generator can only have a single gold token on it. You remove the gold tokens from your resource generators at the start of your own turn. Each player starts the game with a single wild resource generator (i.e. it can make 1 of any of the four types of resources) and three gold tokens. You can put a gold token on any other player's free resource generators (except the wild) which can get you a resource you don't have available, and blocks them from using that resource generator until their next turn. (That's relevant because player actions aren't limited to the plalyer's own turn, more on that later.) The downside of putting gold on someone else's resource generator to use their resource is that when the gold is cleared off at the start of the turn, it is now THEIR gold token! That means they can now produce a higher number of resources, and you can produce a lower number of resources. Some cards let you get more gold tokens, and one of the actions you can choose to take gets you an extra gold token.

Player turns:
Spoiler:
In Dominion, players turns are completely separate, except for Reaction cards which might be triggered if you have one in your hand and the active player triggers the condition, which generally is caused by them playing an Attack card. The active player can play 1 action card, then play their treasure and buy 1 card. Many of the action cards let them play additional action cards, draw additional cards from their deck, and buy additional cards from the supply. Once their turn is over they discard their remaining card and all their cards in play and draw a fresh hand of 5.

In Port Royal, there is one active player, but the other players get to do something after their turn is done. The active player draws cards from the draw pile until they decide to stop (or their turn gets forcibly ended by drawing two ships of the same colour - there's 5 colours). Then if they decided to stop they can take 1 of the drawn cards (if it's a ship they get a number of coins and discard it, if it's a person they pay that number of coins and keep it), or possibly 2 or 3 cards (if they have drawn 4 or 5 different colours of ships without getting duplicates) (there's a way to repel ships you don't want to keep around, which helps you achieve that, if you invest in the appropriate kind of person cards). Once the active player has taken their card(s), then each remaining player may take 1 of the drawn cards (while stocks last!) so long as they can pay the active player 1 coin. (then all the drawn cards are discarded.) One of the people you can hire lets you take an additional card. (If you do that on another player's turn you have to pay the an additional coin.)

In VoV, there is one active player, but after they take their action for the turn, each other player may also choose to take a more limited version of that action. If the active player chooses to Build, they also get to draw a card after they build, and then each other player may also choose to build but they don't get to draw a card. Harvest lets the active player draw 3 cards and every other player draw 1 card. Develop lets you make one of your cards into a resource generator and costs you 1 discarded card if it is your turn, or 2 discarded cards for the following players. Tax lets you get a gold token and draw a card, and lets the following players just draw a card. And hire lets you take a person card if you have the appropriate structures built, if you pay one of your gold tokens - or two gold tokens for the following players. Also various structures and people give you a benefit when you take a particular action, but only when you do it on your turn, not following another player's turn. Unlike the other games, nothing gets drawn or discarded at the beginning or end of turns.

I think it's nifty that you can choose to do an action on any player's turn, and you may need to do so to prevent yourself from falling behind, but if you Build or Develop on someone else's turn there's a 1 card penalty, and a 1 gold penalty to Hire. (There's never a reason not to draw a card when another player chooses Harvest or Tax.)

A quick link regarding opal synthesis: http://sciencing.com/grow-opals-5453934.html

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”