1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

here, have some more to say

Postby ergman » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:16 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Hi from the future! Image

New Othercomic!
I wonder what would happen if predictions were applied to OTC dialogue...
Weird, because you linked to http://www.xkcd.com rather than xkcd.com, the alt-text revealer (by mrob) didn't work.

(Distantly related, I read some seaish news about a riverish glau.)

What sort of summerish news did you read?
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!

Hairy Fat Mother of the OTT
Bftfhasar_s, meta-after-time-vendor of Spaaace wrote:I paste my came.
ergman

Saying some more

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:38 pm UTC

ergman wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Hi from the future! Image

New Othercomic!
I wonder what would happen if predictions were applied to OTC dialogue...
Weird, because you linked to http://www.xkcd.com rather than xkcd.com, the alt-text revealer (by mrob) didn't work.

(Distantly related, I read some seaish news about a riverish glau.)

What sort of summerish news did you read?
Allegedly, Summer Glau is expecting a daughter in January.

Using the quotes from the latest OtherComic, and the SwiftKey keyboard on my phone, I got a few OTTish results:
Elementary, my dear [friend of mine is a bit too rare even if you didn't have doublepost or factory automation]
Bond. James Bond [with the trebuchets]
I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch [the video and audio and video clips and more details about the unnecessary message for when you have no castles as I had that myself and my 67th Newpixbot]
You have my sword. And my bow. And my [67th Newpixbot]

What is it about the 67th Newpixbot????
ImagePlay the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

GAZEBO OINTMENT HARPSICHORD CREDENZA BUNGALOW
Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby 12obin » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:02 am UTC

You have my sword.
And my bow.
And my half-butt

...that's cool, phone. That'll win me friends here.

Elementary, my dear friend who is nice to have clean things!
[Robin or 12obin. any pronouns]
12obin

Re: HAMPLYMAN, HAMPLYMAN, DOES WHATEVER A HAMPLY CAN

Postby pelrigg » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:26 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
1000 Posts!
The big 1K
My first milennia of posts! Er, my first milpostia?

Spoiler:
So, several mips ago, my friend asked me if I could sing tenor--ten or twelve miles away from her. No no, just kidding. She asked me to sing tenor for a memorial service at her church. (Tenor is a lot easier for me than soprano these days.) She also said she was worried that her soloist was going to flake, so I told her I'd learn the solo just in case. It was a Holly Near song, and I really liked it, but I didn't get to sing it. :( Feeling frustrated, I realized the only obvious course of action was to ottify it. I couldn't find an instrumental version of the song (couldn't find a recording of the song online at all, in fact) so yappo very kindly took the vocals out of the recording. It has all these echo-y effects that made it hard for him to get rid of all the vocals, but I think it works pretty well. I meant to post this a while ago--I even told y'all that I had a song on the way--but I do tend to procrastinate. Plus, I hear all the mistakes, and kept thinking I should re-record it. But if I did that, it would never get posted. So, to make a long story short (too late!), here's
The Otting
Ottification of The Promise by Holly Near

Congrats on the millennium imjb!
And thanks for the ottification and the manip, too!
Here, have some cake:
Spoiler:
I Duck Duck Go'ed: "Cake With 1000 Candles" and these are what I got. (I assume the top one has a cake under there someplace.) Thought I'd put them both up just to make sure there were close to 1000 candles. It's been so long since I've posted a picture, I hope I made them quotable.

---
Seaish ottification on the Movie Quotes waveney.
---
Thanks ED for the Summer update. Trust you to be keeping up with Her Glau-ness. (I had seen a reference to her having a fiancé. So I guess this officially makes it "serious".)
---
And to 12obin the Elder-poster: Greetings and hello and welcome back.
---
Redundant:
Spoiler:
candles_on_birthday_cake.jpg
candles_on_birthday_cake.jpg (60.21 KiB) Viewed 322 times

cake1000candles.jpg
cake1000candles.jpg (54.69 KiB) Viewed 322 times

Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.
pelrigg

Re: Saying some more

Postby HES » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:35 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch [the video and audio and video clips and more details about the unnecessary message for when you have no castles as I had that myself and my 67th Newpixbot]

Which reminds me, the GLR+WW video you posted still isn't working. Do you know of any other links?
Image - Image - Image
H@ chirpingmustard
HES

Re: Saying some more

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:46 am UTC

HES wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch [the video and audio and video clips and more details about the unnecessary message for when you have no castles as I had that myself and my 67th Newpixbot]

Which reminds me, the GLR+WW video you posted still isn't working. Do you know of any other links?

Epsilon, I got an error first time but then refreshed and it worked.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually. Wait for it.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT
yappobiscuits

Postby azule » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:28 am UTC

Blindpost milenipost congrats to lmjb! (Will have to check out content later, but sounds molpish.)
Image[Ambassador Azule]
I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.
azule
Saved

Re: Saying some grapevines

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:33 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
HES wrote:

Epsilon, I got an error first time but then refreshed and it worked.

I think I saw more than one copy of it
*googles 'GLR+WW' which doesn't help*

Now I can only find that one but it does seem to be working. Epsilon.
waveney wrote:There has been a lack of recent ottifications so:

Spoiler:
1427modified.png
Steakish! Thanks for making that.
Title text:
More actual results:

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You [grapevine!]
Revenge is a dish best served [with grapevines.]
They may take our lives, but they'll never take [our grapevine grapevine.]

I wonder if I should have named CueMegAll "Grapevine Grapevine" instead. It's kinda fitting.
Oh wait, that's a pun.
Last edited by Eternal Density on Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:34 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
ImagePlay the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

Eternal Density

Postby pelrigg » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:34 am UTC

Has anymolpy mentioned this Listverse List "10 Mysterious Features Of The Earth That We May Never Understand" yet? Number 1 on the list is RELATED.
I know I might/maybe have been ninja'd on this since I've missed a couple of pages ...er... couple of dozen pages ...okay, okay... couple of hundred pages. (Satisfied?}

Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.
pelrigg

Postby ZoomanSP » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:04 am UTC

Congrats on the millennium post, lmjb!

Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."
ZoomanSP

Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ucim » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:57 am UTC

Chapter 40

And so it came to pass that on the twenty-fourth day of Revelation, the Great and Most Holy Quest of macraw83 had come to its Glorious Conclusion. Preparations were well underway for the seaish celebration that would occur; as the rays of sunrise danced on the mist of the waterfall, the air was filled with the rich aroma of freshly baked cupcakes, the sounds of hundreds of varied musical instruments tuning up, and the palpable anticipation of a sea of Timewaiters just waiting for it.

It had been nearly a full yip since the Second Scribe had noted the sudden disappearance of macraw83 and fearing the worst, had gone to the Pope for council. As always, his advice was to follow the First Commandment, and macraw's Glorious Arrival into the Present this day showed the wisdom of this approach, for on this day he would be crowned as the latest in the elite group of Timewaiters known as BlitzGirls. But he was nowhere to be found.
Spoiler:
The Second Scribe and the fifth cleric were conversing in the anteroom.

"Mebbe just stopped in for a pint", he said, "just like during his blitz.".

"I hope not - that was a very long pint back then", replied the Second Scribe. "I don't know if there's another like it."

Being a fan of very long pints himself, the fifth cleric decided that just maybe he might want to find out himself. It would however require a Holy Quest, and such journeys were fraught with danger, peril, hazard, and risk. Even thinking about the green mindslugs gave him the willies, and he didn't know if he could get past the cookie clicker unscathed. No, he'll get his pints the easy way - let somebody else quest, and he'll join in the celebration afterwards. But first, the guest of honor would have to show up!

Anticipation was high, and as the crowd gathered just outside the Cathedral, the din of a sea of Timewaiters waiting for it was becoming so loud that conversation was becoming difficult. This was by far the longest blitz ever to be celebrated, meriting of course the most seaish celebration ever conceived. Although it seemed like forever, it wasn't long before macraw himself approached.

"Where have you been?" asked the second scribe anxiously.

"Just giving you a chance to wait for it", replied macraw with a wink. "Even airplanes have to taxi sometimes."

The second scribe gingerly helped him on with his airplane hat. It always looked as if it was going to fall off, but that was part of the fashion. Nonetheless, it would not do to have a wardrobe malfunction in the middle of the ceremony, especially with a hat. On a cat. She carefully and lovingly ensured that all would go well, jostling the hat this way and that until she was certain that it would neither come off nor take off by itself.

With a whoosh the door to the anteroom opened and in strode The Pope and First Cleric, resplendent in their ceremonial robes, and there was something about the way First Cleric carried himself that spoke of newly gained enlightenment.

Taken by surprise, the second scribe exclaimed, "You're not supposed to be here!"

"...which is precisely why I must be here", replied The Pope, who beamed at macraw83 and said "I knew you'd make it!".

"To be honest, sometimes I didn't", admitted macraw. "The journey just kept getting longer and longer, and I must confess to you that I sometimes lost heart."

First Cleric chimed in, "We all do sometimes. We think it's a great failure at the time, but it isn't. What matters is that you kept going. And you kept going even if you had to wait for it while you were waiting for it. So, now you are here, not because you didn't lose heart, but because you allowed yourself to regain it."

These words took a moment to register, but when they did, it took another moment to register that it was First Cleric that had said them. These were words unlike any that he had ever said, and everyone was awestruck. The Pope broke the silence by observing that it was too bad fifth cleric didn't hear that firsthand, because he'd never believe it.

"Aye, but I did", came a voice from behind. "I still canna believe it!"

"Come, we must be off", said The Pope to First Cleric, "There is much Waiting to do", and with that, they exited before First Cleric could saying anything else. The second scribe gave macraw a seaish hug, and then departed herself to prepare for the ceremony that was about to occur. This left macraw83 alone with the fifth cleric, who wondered aloud about just how seaish those pints were, and where he could get some.

For a moment their laughter drowned out the noise of the crowd outside.

The heralds gathered just outside the doors of the Cathedral, and on cue sounded the clarion call. This was the first time since many could remember that all the heralds were all playing together, and the sound was awesome; after the initial fanfare, each of the heralds wove the melody in and out of all of the other heralds in forty-seven part counterpoint while the Crystal Organ began to spin up. Just as the music seemed to reach its climax, the Crystal Organ took the theme and the Great Doors were thrown open for the procession of the Clerics, Scribes, and BlitzGirls. Row by row they emerged from the Cathedral under the shimmering of the Crystal Organ's whirly parts, and as they emerged, the choir of Raft People added thier voices to the growing symphony of sound. They were familiar words in a foreign tongue, whose meaning was perhaps best summarized as "I am greatly blessed to be among you".

As soon as the clerics reached their seats, they began to sing along with the Raft People, and when the rows of scribes arrived, they did the same in glorious counterpoint. The music came to a thunderous close just as the last of the BlitzGirls arrived at their place on the dais, and The Pope arose. Facing the crowd, even The Pope was awed. This was no ordinary seaish celebration - the horizon itself was not far enough away to contain the mass of Timewaiters that had come to honor macraw83's awesomeful accomplishment.

In a voice that echoed throughout the valley and carried far beyond the horizon, The Pope spake:

"Of all the sacraments pertaining to the One True Thread, the Quest is the highest. It is also the most perilous, fraught with dangers that reside in the past that would be traversed, other hazards that lie in a future that has not yet happened, and the risk that a future menace may find itself transported into the past, to further jeopardize the unsuspecting Quester. Many of these hazards were unknown at the beginning Of Time when the first Blitzgirl, our own esteemed Blitzgirl The First, pioneered her way through the One True Thread.

We are here to celebrate the Glorious Arrival into the Present of macraw83, who having also felt a Great Void, a Void that can only be filled by drinking from the One True Thread, ventured out to drink from the River of Time. Facing dangers known and unknown on this difficult journey, he found the snare now known as the Long Pint, and summoning strength he did not know he had, conquered it to emerge in Glory. I bid you macraw83, come forward, arise, and kneel."

The second scribe beamed with joy as a cat, upside down in an airplane that was flying upside down, swooped in and touched down on his knees gently in front of The Pope.

The Pope raised his hands above macraw's head and continued, "macraw83, in honor of your Zanclean Quest of drinking from the One True Thread and by the power vested in me as Pope of the Order of the Holy Contradiction, do I hereby consecrate you and bestow upon thee the title of BlitzGirl the Next, that it be known for all time and for all of Time that you have truly and properly Waited For It. Furthermore do I consecrate and bless the Gospel of macraw83, a True and Holy Record of your Quest, to be counted among the Holy Books, alongside the Gospel of BlitzGirl, and all the other gospels, that it provide inspiration to all who follow, and indeed, to all Timewaiters, for all time, for all of Time, and for all the Time After Time. Smopu hvala nuvi dict amuah!"

There was a great cheer arising from the congregation, and the heralds sounded the opening fanfare of the Smopu Hvala, the Raft People's Hymn of Honor. The Pope raised his hands to quell the crowd, but they would not be quelled so easily. Even The Pope would have to wait for it. When the crowd finally calmed down, The Pope once again spoke:

"We are greatly blessed not only by BlitzGirls, but also by a seaish number of other people, quiet and patient Timewaiters who, in the background, help make all you see possible. Look around you at the Great Cathedral, the wingish Grotto, the grounds that seem to all but tend themselves. All of this would not be possible without the dedicated work that happens backstage. Today we honor waveney, whose secret (and not so secret) codes have immeasurably helped integrate the designs of our own Hot Diggety with the skills of the Raft People, making it possible to have infinite castles without infinite mustard, and ensuring that we don't have our castles going into silly places. Unless that's what we want. All this he has done using just numbers, and letters, and symbols, and... things. Things beyond the comprehension of Mortal Man.

I bid thee, waveney, come forth, arise, and kneel!"

Imagine now for yourself the sight of a huge hairy orangumolp sitting in the crowd caught completely by surprise, looking around and then incredulously mouthing the word "moi?", an utterance rumored to come from Old French whose unmistakable meaning seems to have been preserved for millennia.

"Yes, waveney, you", confirmed The Pope. "You do not go unnoticed. Come forth, arise, and kneel!"

Somewhat reluctantly at first he arose from the crowd and moved, and then with greater and greater excitement started leaping over people, taking advantage of a few fortuitously placed vines to swing himself up onto the stage. As he crouched before The Pope, the pontiff placed his hands above waveney, saying:

"As Pope of the Order of the Holy Contradiction, in recognition of the steakish contributions you have made to the Incantations that Control the Magic, do I hereby Bless and Consecrate you and bestow upon thee the title of Big Banana of Code, that it be known for all time, and for all of Time, that through your mysterious scriptures you have greatly enhanced the treeish mechanisms of the One True Thread while we all Waited For It."

Once again the heralds sound the fanfare of the Smopu Hvala and the crowd erupted in cheering that can be heard far beyond the horizon. Both waveney and macraw83 were carried off to the feasting and dancing and molpyberry wine that has become an integral part of these sacraments. The Pope, First Cleric, and the second scribe waited on the dais for a moment as the crowd disperses.

"That was beautiful.", said the second scribe to The Pope. "I've been dreaming of this for over a yip."

"That is what the First Commandment is all about", replied The Pope. "Go join macraw in his glory. I'll come in a moment."

The second scribe wasted no time, leaving The Pope alone with First Cleric.

"I believe you had some enlightenment?", asked The Pope.

First Cleric thought as hard as he could. Yes, there was enlightenment... seaish enlightenment, even. It was in there... he just couldn't quite reach into his mind and pull it out. The Pope was patient however, and the First Commandment was an integral part of his being. Still, First Cleric struggled to make sense of the sense he had made when he had made sense. Finally, with a burst of mental power, he managed to come up with something. Maybe it would be enough.

Struggling with all his might, he stammered "It's a hotdog!"
Jose
(<-- previous (NP 2068) | table of contents (on xkcd wiki)
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar
ucim

YOU WOULDN'T THWAP A MOLPY

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:22 am UTC

I haven't congratted lmjb yet, and I don't have any cake, so instead, have some riverishraptormolppens:

ETA AutoMome is guaranteed 100% coincidental! Wow.

Eternal Density

botcastleselftestanddemustardbot

Postby balthasar_s » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:34 am UTC

I still don't know what exactly causes the mustard that makes the botcaltle inaccessible from outside but I know how to detect it.
So I wrote a bot that runs every 60 minutes that can detect the two most common mustards and reset a process or the whole botcastle.
I hope it will work correctly.

ETA,
ZoomanSP wrote:Image

I see teeth.

Redundant
Spoiler:
teeth.JPG
I see teeth.
teeth.JPG (19.65 KiB) Viewed 71 times
(791/1370) (1691/2050). # .8 9 10.
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
balthasar_s

Postby Migratory Chicken » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:08 pm UTC

Hello again! I got some sigcouragement by Aluisio warning me against taking the 303, since the 304 is faster. I have no idea what that means, but I guess I'll find out soon (or late) enough. Although at this point I'm not very worried about "slow" or "fast". I also received a private message from pelrigg welcoming me to the OTT, and telling me I'll find more people welcoming me on NP 2116. Well, I won't be reading you for a while, but thanks to all who welcomed me to the thread!

pelrigg also asks if I came upon Signpost Alpha yet. I honestly don't remember. A few months ago I saw a (many times edited) message about a rest stop for blitzers, but that's probably not it. I'll keep my eyes open!

Also, this message from page 913:
NoMouse wrote:(Possible time portal. I don't know how far in the past the original message is, I quoted a quote)
ucim wrote:--snip--
My own username means "I teach" and "I learn" in Serbo-Croatian. (I cheated by using an ordinary c instead of the proper SerboCroat letter, to make it easier to type.) I like the idea that teaching and learning happen together.
--snip--

Oh, now I see. If I add the correct diacritics - "učím" - it means "I teach"1 in Czech too. It never came to my mind that it could mean that, even though diacritics is not sometimes used in the electronic form for technical reasons (or because of laziness).

[...]

1 If you want to say "I learn" in Czech, you have to add a special reflexive pronoun - "učím se" = literally "I teach myself". It stays in the same form for other persons - "učíš se" = "you teach yourself", "učí se" = "he/she/it teaches himself/herself/itself" and so on. It's actually kind of interesting and weird when I now think about the literal meaning.

Somebody may very well have mentioned it, but in Polish "uczę" is "I teach" while "uczę się" is "I learn". Polish has some first person singular verb endings in '-ę' where in Czech or other Slavic languages it'd be '-im', but when ucim explained his username I thought, "hey, I know this!" :D I don't speak Polish very well at all yet, but as I improve, it could open the doors of other Slavic languages to me, because they're all quite similar.
Migratory Chicken

Postby HES » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:34 pm UTC

Videomustard: probably my end then, I'll try a different browser.

Whackamolpy: squeeeeeee!
Image - Image - Image
H@ chirpingmustard
HES

Previous

Return to Individual XKCD Comic Threads