1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Gingercat

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Gingercat » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:19 am UTC

moody7277 wrote:Slightly modified some sort of Markov chain or under the influence of absinthe? Only your green fairy can tell.

She won't be telling me anything. After the 1,942nd "Hey!" of the day I stuffed her in a bottle and threw her down a well.

As Popecat, I decree that we discuss our most / least favorite Zelda games and their oddities.

(ETA: My condolences for the copious amounts of life-mustard seen within the OTT recently; my thoughts are with you all.)
I am Schrödinger's Gingercat, and you can't prove I exist without disproving the same! :twisted:

Sustainabilizer wrote:Looks like we'll get together in a pub, confuse the bartender by ordering just 1 beer for our ghost, then watch the ghost drinking it.

addams

Postby addams » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:45 am UTC

Out with Life Mustard and On with Time.

Please, tell me a Zelda Games story.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Zelda
mscha wrote:BUBUNGAS...
Spoiler:
RUN.
(Colorization by ucim.)

Replay Time live here!

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:BEANIE 2: ELECTRIC BAGALOO

-- posted by oldpixbot

(sniff-sniff)
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:04 am UTC

Back In MY Day (BIMD), we didn't have any of this fancy "Internet" to look up the locations and methods for things! We had to find them all ourselves and that's how we LIKED it! (Largely 'cause there wasn't any other choice.) Nowadays we've got kids on my damn lawn, catching their damn Pokemon, while I'm stuck waiting for the servers to decide that they're gonna let me back in after crashing about mid-way through the time limit for the Pokestop Attractor I put down! They're making use of MY Attractor! (Which was the whole point, and I'm secretly glad to be of assistance, but I'm missing out!)

Now where was I? Oh yes, Zelda! Specifically, for me at least, of the "Ocarina of Time" and "Majora's Mask" varieties. BIMD if you were a Completionist like me, you had to go and find every damn one of them "Gold Skulltula" nasties in OoT. Could hear 'em scritchin' and scratchin' somewhere out of sight, not knowing you didn't have the necessary item (or Scarecrow Song, who knew?) to get 'em; always wondering what exactly the deal was with that top floor of the Fire Temple you couldn't get to, the only clue was that damn fairy glowing on an unreachable platform in the sky and one missing Skulltula on the totals count... I tell you, the youngin's have it easy these days. Mind you, I love a challenge, and I loved this game. I learned real early that you could get the BFSBiggoron's Sword before setting foot in any temple at all, and that the Giant's Knife wasn't worth looking at even though it looked exactly the same. The difference between Excalibur and Excalipoor, you know?

And don't even get me started on the sheer complexity that is Majora's Mask. You just know that we oldskool Completionists must have every mask ever! And the methods to getting them were perfectly reasonable, anyone could figure 'em out. Just like getting the biggest wallet! And everything else that isn't both nailed down and on fire.

I've spent so much time on those games in total now that it gets me thinking about the Hereafter. You know what I mean, right? When you get to that age where whenever you enter a room you stop and ask... "Now what was I here after?"
I am Schrödinger's Gingercat, and you can't prove I exist without disproving the same! :twisted:

Sustainabilizer wrote:Looks like we'll get together in a pub, confuse the bartender by ordering just 1 beer for our ghost, then watch the ghost drinking it.

thunk

1190: "Time": AUTOMOME, IN T1I, WITH THE LAPLEOPARD

Postby thunk » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:32 am UTC

moody7277 wrote:Slightly modified some sort of Markov chain or under the influence of absinthe? Only your green fairy can tell.

No. This is supposed to make sense. Whether it does is an exercise for the reader.
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Blitz on, my friends Rakhal and iskinner!
You're almost now, macraw. Welcome forward.

avatar image by officialhyperionmemer

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:26 am UTC

Zelda, eh? Well, I wasn't exactly into them when I first started gaming. It was obviously good enough that I played the first games on the NES, but the real first Zelda game that I played and LOVED was A Link to the Past. There's just so much awesome. Just thinking about it makes me consider starting a new game and playing through it. Oh, if only I had the energy to go through games more than once. I really loved some things like when you get turned into a bunny! Or the Lost Woods! Or whatever the dark world was called!

Ocarina of Time (TIME!!) was also freakin' great! Epona! So fun to go galloping around. Sadly I never really played Majora's Mask. Wind Waker was okay (pigs!) but, well, nothing is ever going to be as great as Link to the Past (2D) and Ocarina (3D). There's nothing else needed. I hear there's a new game coming. Nintendo even put the game up as it's only item during their E3 conference. (I don't know anything about this besides that info.) Could it be great? You never know. Except that nostalgia says: No! ;)

I guess the only thing missing is a great 2D sidescroller (not top-down like the SNES). Sure, some might say Zelda II, but I don't know....

Yeah, that's it. Sorry. (I skimmed the past page, sorry.)

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Revisited - np3052

Postby mscha » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:10 am UTC

UNGULARNESSES...
Spoiler:
RUN.
(Colorization by buffygirl (based on previous colorization by Swein).)

Replay Time live here!

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:IF WAITING FOR YOUR UNGS IS CH*RPING, CONSIDER ME THE 1ST CLERIC.

-- posted by oldpixbot

Link

1190: "Time": IN THE HILLS, NO-ONE CAN SEE YOU :AZULE:

Postby Link » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:50 am UTC

I love Zelda (obviously)! I think I finished Ocarina of Time maybe three Times, with one would-be-100%-but-unable-to-get-one-upgrade-because-of-m*stard run. Unfortunately I've never been able to get my hands on a Majora's Mask cartridge, and have only played it on an emulator. Of course, the one really steambottle thing about Majora's Mask is having to reset to Dip One whenever you want to turn your N64 off, and an emulator fixes that. Also, there's a treeish high-resolution texture pack somewhere on the interwebs, which is good because the N64 native resolution is potato quality on any screen larger than around 15".

And then there's The Wind Waker, which teaches us that, much like in Time, the Sea is Big in Zelda. I love the sense of freedom you get from that hotdog.

I'm quasi-ashamed to admit I've never played any of the more recent Zeldas. Consoles are pretty expensive, and while I saw them as worthwhile investments when I was younger, I tend to keep my money for more versatile stuff nowadips. I suppose I could buy a Wii controller from DX.com and use an emulator, though.

--

Ruh-roh, the UNGs are approaching that moment again. Better start buying ice cream.

HES

Postby HES » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:45 am UTC

I don't know much about Zelda, I was never really in to pokemon.

Gingercat wrote:Nowadays we've got kids on my damn lawn, catching their damn Pokemon

I like that the "get off my lawn" cliché old-man-rant has a fresh bout of truth to it.
Image - Image - Image
H@ chirpingmustard
He/Him/His

ggh

Postby ggh » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:56 pm UTC

I'm not sure if I ever played Zelda... I think the Little Wonder's dad might have played it and let me drive for a while long ago.
I do remember playing Leisure Suit Larry though. Good times.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

macraw83

Re: 1190: "A Time to Write"

Postby macraw83 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:52 pm UTC

[Blindpost=NP2502]

Eternal Density wrote:
azule wrote:Oh, edit, pope! As SkimPope (like skim milk only lactose intolerant), my decree is to do a quick skim of NP [your post count] and tell us your findings. If your post count is way higher than that, then write exactly that many words into a story for OTTers' enjoyment
A Storm of Steel and Steam: Book One: Chaos of the Mage Stones

Chapter One - In Which Charity Meets Skids

[snip]

Hmm, that's a fair amount riverish. Maybe I'll write the rest tomorrip?
Treeish! Steakish! Even though this NP has possibly taken the longest to Blitz, it was well worth it for all the awesomeful stories that it spawned! I look forward to reading part 2!

Eternal Density wrote:
azule wrote:Second pope edit: Eh, to be nice, if your postcount is higher than NP then skim in on a NP containing that numbered post (meaning, there's 40 posts a page, then figure out the math of where that post lands). I'm sure most people are within 100,000 posts.....

Oh, never mind then.
NOOOOOOO! :(

I do hope you reconsider...

Eternal Density wrote:Oops, I keep raising my post count without lengthening the story. Um...

Chapter Two: In Which
Spoiler:
Wait for it

Much better!
And now I find myself looking forward to Part 3 :P

Eternal Density wrote:ETA did I mention how awesomeful it is to have no more chemo? :D :D

Yay! Congrats! Best news I've heard all wip!

Unrelated yet RELATED: Today is shaping up to be very molpish! I'm almost done with my Blitz..... and I have plans to meet an OTTer in person tonight (something I've never done) before going to a concert! I'm not sure if xe would be ok with me revealing which OTTer xe is, since xe's been a bit basementy lately, but I expect it to be treeish!

[/Blindpost]

[BlindETA]

Gingercat wrote:[The Chronicles of Torgos]

I've been meaning to tell you that I've really enjoyed the first two three installments of this story, and am looking forward to encountering more as I approach the Present. My wife has run a few campaigns (only one at a time, though) over the past 4 or 5 yips, and I've played in most of them. Right now, we are both running campaigns, with mine being the first serious attempt I've made at it. I'm really interested to see where Torgos' story goes :)

[/BlindETA]

[BlindETA=NP2503]

Eternal Density wrote:A Storm of Steel and Steam: Book One: Chaos of the Mage Stones

Chapter Two: In Which Charity is Discovered
Ah, the actual Chapter Two :)

Treeish!

[/BlindETA]

Does the basement ever end?

You're almost now, Rakhal!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:35 pm UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:32 pm UTC

[Blindpost=NP2507]

I have arrived on the first NewPage on which there is no ellipsis (...) between it and the Present page :!:

Not long now!

[/Blindpost]

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:46 pm UTC

macraw83 wrote:
[Blindpost=NP2507]

I have arrived on the first NewPage on which there is no ellipsis (...) between it and the Present page :!:

Not long now!

[/Blindpost]

Hooray macraw83! We await you in the Present! :D
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to thunk, Rakhal, iskinner, and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Revisited - np3064

Postby mscha » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:10 pm UTC

FURLUNGS...
Spoiler:
RUN.
(Colorization by schwartzbewithyou.)

Replay Time live here!

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:BECAUSE YOU ARE HEADCRAB MUSTARD

-- posted by oldpixbot

macraw83

Re: CH*RP! IT'S LIFE-MUSTARD… AGAIN.

Postby macraw83 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:51 pm UTC

[Blindpost=NP2508]

mrob27 wrote:I haven't posted for quite a while… somewhere on NP2501. There was a little Outside stuff going on, but then I got concerned for my mother, and learned that she had passed away.
  There are proper places on the xkcd fora for grieving, and discussing death in general, most notably the Dear SB area within Serious Business. It's a bit awkward for me to discuss such things online, rather I've been using phone conversations with friends, including Mom's friends.
  But it's also hard not to mention it here. I don't have much to say at the moment about Time, or about all the things we've been doing that are inspired by it. My bOTTeriada story is trickling ever-more-slowly as the next chapter (The Dragons of OTTifiability) continues to be stalled by my other activities. I guess that will go on for a while.

mrob27 Image

I'm really sorry about your loss. When I lost my Mom in May, it wasn't entirely unexpected, and I was able to be there in her last hours. I can't even imagine how much worse it must be for you, I'm so sorry.

Please feel free to drop by whenever you please. We are here for you. Take as much time as you need; you will be missed, but we will understand. As someone recently said to me:

Peace to you.
Peace to your Mother.

[/Blindpost]

balthasar_s

d

Postby balthasar_s » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:47 pm UTC

ggh wrote:Thanks indian-on-the-moon!
! You are correct about the fastness :)
On saturday I woke up at 5:30 for some reason. I checked the ott (actually I wanted to check if one of the STAFs I sent recently had already arrived but I looked at the OTT too).
I saw your post.
I thought:
Actually, this will be easy.
The viewer already knows the ONGtimes.
I can do it.

It was after 6.
I quickly programmed it and checked that everything works correctly.
And then I went to eat breakfast.
I wasn't late for breakfast.
I spent the next 9 hours fixing bikes.
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1018. # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here is why. # OTT facebug copy
(that's a robot so it doesn't count Image
This text was autogenerated:

Gingercat

Re: 1190: "A Time to Write"

Postby Gingercat » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:09 pm UTC

macraw83 wrote:I've been meaning to tell you that I've really enjoyed the first two three installments of this story, and am looking forward to encountering more as I approach the Present. My wife has run a few campaigns (only one at a time, though) over the past 4 or 5 yips, and I've played in most of them. Right now, we are both running campaigns, with mine being the first serious attempt I've made at it. I'm really interested to see where Torgos' story goes :)

It's great to know it's being enjoyed :)

I only have a very minor update at the moment due to the other characters resolving their personal arcs, as well as a LOT of distraction last session due to Pokemon Go ("Hey! There's an Eevee in the corner, awesome! I thought my house only had Zubats in it!") and other games that the others present are very excited about. I'll leave it until we have another session I'm present at before posting a proper chapter (this Friday is a "maybe" due to probable Outside commitments, so it might be another couple of weeks before I have a proper update. Not great pacing but can't be helped.)

ETA a missing bracket.
Last edited by Gingercat on Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:41 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

thunk

48a: Traffic is Ch*rped

Postby thunk » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:21 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
Image Donaldify the OTC Image

Not in this day and age.

Blitz on, my friends Rakhal and iskinner!
You're almost now, macraw. Welcome forward.

avatar image by officialhyperionmemer

Gingercat

Re: 48a: Traffic is Ch*rped

Postby Gingercat » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:48 pm UTC

thunk wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:

Not in this day and age.

I don't think there's sufficient hair available for that...

mrob27

1190: "Time": I'M DEVELOPING A SYSTEM TO OTTCOLOURISE ARBITRARY COMAVISIONS.

Postby mrob27 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:27 am UTC

Thank you for the condolences (both here and private), they are much appreciated.

Yesterdip I methodically debugged a poorly-working computer that I had built 6 years ago, and figured out that its failure to work was from a memory module that I installed a couple months ago. That's good, now it will work reliably again!
 Only no. After getting it to thoroughly pass the memory test, the machine wouldn't actually boot into Linux anymore, nor would it boot from an install CD or Live USB or whatever. It got stranger and stranger as I kept trying different versions of Linux install and/or recovery disks, including ones I know for sure had worked on that machine in the past. I eventually had to conclude that I broke something in that computer during the several times I had it open to move memory sticks around diagnosing which had the defect.
 So ch*rp. I didn't lose any data, but it seems that computer will now not work without a new motherboard, processor, memory, and maybe a new CPU cooler fan and video card. That's a rather painful punishment for doing something mysterious (and presumably stupid) the details of which will probably never be revealed.

balthasar_s wrote:I believe that this is the first drawing where the wheelstick is a real thing (2009 or 2010), from a comic I made: image

I like the hovering fish (if that's what it is) and the extra-large resistor.

Eternal Density wrote:I was home alone yesterdip, so I did the thing / [video, and lyrics]

That was great fun, thanks! Your OTT-lyrics fit really well to the original, I think.

addams wrote:oh, dear; I have a very high post count.

Gee, so you do. Rivalling @BlitzGirl, in fact :shock:

Gingercat wrote:And we got an accurate boat prediction way back in NP237!

Hey yeah! I had hitherto only noticed the prediction at OTT:253:30.

ggh wrote:
mscha wrote:As far as Image is concerned, I think it simply means ‘health’[…]

Alternatively, it could be the beanie telling Cugan it's “healthy”, whatever it is they're eating

That's an intriguing theory. I'd put its plausibility between the original 'cream' theory and my 'plant-species name / yarrow' theory. I will again invoke the argument that:

Teaching nouns is pretty easy, if the noun is a physical thing
 that you can point to, or by using pictures. Since these Beanies
 are from a culture that has been involved in the evacuation of
 many people from the doomed lowlands, there is even a decent
 chance that these particular Beanies have done some language-
 teaching or -learning with other strangers.

and assert that nouns make up the majority of words that any non-Unglish-speaking Beanies would attempt to teach Cuegan.

azule wrote:I finally read the fullness of your page […]

Oh uh, hmm. Another thing I haven't finished. :oops: I really had a lot to write about each of those 15 or so sections, but I kinda ran out of steam. Or did I run out of yarrow-paste? So please disagree to whatever extent is prudent, in the interest of science-iness and all that.

I like the Threadmark chapter, @Eternal Density!

mrob27 Image

Spoiler:
beaniehealth.png
"ᒣᓭᐧᖊᔑᐨ" from frame m2792
beaniehealth.png (1.08 KiB) Viewed 49 times
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

AluisioASG
Location: Eternally laid in splendid cradle, to the sound of the sea and the light of the deep sky

Re: 48a: Traffic is Ch*rped

Postby AluisioASG » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:47 am UTC

Gingercat wrote:
thunk wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:

Not in this day and age.

I don't think there's sufficient hair available for that...
Y'all might be too young to understand that. Or maybe I'm the one not getting it.

Um, maybe I do get it, but it's not what I had meant anyway.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Eternal Density

BUILD A SANDCASTLE AND MAKE THE SEA PAY FOR IT

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:52 am UTC

mrob27 wrote: So ch*rp. I didn't lose any data, but it seems that computer will now not work without a new motherboard, processor, memory, and maybe a new CPU cooler fan and video card.
So that leaves the HDD (assuming it's not SSD), case and PSU. Anything else?
Oh, CD drive. Nearly forgot since my new organised sand has no opticals.

@macraw83 I have even better news to come further in your blitz.
Still yet to finish chapter 4 of CotMS. Oops.

For decree:

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”