1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

Bicycles After Time: bftf-0481 (ENAP: 4 so far)

Postby Sustainabilizer » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:39 pm UTC

MMONGNS …
Spoiler:
I'd highly recommend following the first commandment.

MMONGNS = Massively Multiplayer ONGline Nerd Sniping

ETA:
Hmm… pope. Thinking about a decree.
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Meanwhile: Image

Welcome forward, and GLRspeed to your Blitz, mattachu!

Eternal Density wrote:By "chance" I stumbled upon a really interesting post about people not saying what they mean, and cultural differences in communication. http://travel.stackexchange.com/a/38192
I think it's interesting and relevant for two reasons: 1. it may illuminate some of the issues that online communities need to address to achieve sustainability and 2. It may help some folks who visit Germany.
Indeed, this will help to overcome the differences in communication, not only at the conference. Thanks!
Neil_Boekend wrote:As a Dutchman: That problem is real. The biggest problem for me is that the Netherlands seem to be changing from "direct" to "polite", at least in my area. I never was any good in finding the layers behind words, but putting them there while saying something different makes me feel about as dirty as I imagine taking a bath in sewage would feel. It's a short term solution that costs a lot of energy. If it is codified then it is also useless, because people will know what you mean anyway. If the code tells them it was insulting then it will insult them.
Essentially the same holds for me as a German.

Exodies wrote:Hello everybody. Did I read correctly that there will be a reenactment of the thread in Germany next February? I'll try to get there, talk of Phantasialand implies it's nearby.
Welcome forward, Exodies!
Yes, the conference/meetup is in Bochum. Want to hold a speech?

AluisioASG wrote:I'd like if Sustainabilizer can tell us a just bit more about the Big Picture, i.e. the project from which ENE is a part of, from what I understand.
You're right. I'll address this in depth later.

Happy 1000, ZoomanSP!
Steakish OTTification! :)

Welcome forward, StormAngel!
You'll be visiting the conference?

edfel wrote:The meetup sounds great! I'll try to come, I'm not so far from there (at least I'm on the same continent :p). Let's say 75% chances....

Excellent. :) Welcome forward, edfel!
edfel wrote:but it's hard to be sure before January.... is it fine to give a definitive answer only then?

Well, it does simplify the organisation of the event if we have definitive answers from all participants as soon as possible. However as a quantum physicist I'm familiar with calcuations which include some uncertainties. ;)

What about a speech?

freezeblade wrote:I'd love to go, but if it is really out in Europe, I can't make it, I'm stuck out here in California (just kidding, it's awesome here).

It's a pity that you cannot come, but welcome forward!

BlitzGirl wrote:Oh, well if the ENAP thing bothers people I can stop doing it. It's mostly been just a way for me to keep track.

They help me to keep track, too.
I like your ENAPs.

karhell wrote:Also, on the conference front, and after some unusually heated discussions with my wife, I have the regret of announcing I'll be unable to come to Bochum :(
However, digital attendance is perfectly viable. I am therefore a {'physical' : 0.0, 'digital' : 1.0, 'Speech' : 'Work in progress'}

I'm sorry that you cannot come in person, but I'm Waiting For your virtual presence and for your speech. :)

Welcome forward, bmonk!
Want to visit the conference? What about a speech?

Another steakish OTTification by ZoomanSP! :)

yappobiscuits wrote:So I just had "the talk" with my gf where I "came out" as an OTTer and explained the whole thing to her :P. I had to explain the conference because it sort of clashes with Jorvik Viking Festival which we're going to together, and thus had to explain the OTT too. It was difficult as she was very impatient and demanded a quick explanation. One does not simply quickly and easily explain the OTT. XD

Sure you can. It's an online discussion about the xkcd comic 1190: Time which evolved into a sustainable online comunity. ;)

ChronosDragon wrote:Image
Your luxury jet universe will be boarding in: approximately 3 millenia.

Wow⁷ – the inner of a luxury jet as a curved space-time? Which map did you use to create that? :shock:
BlitzGirl wrote:Is there any way I can catch an earlier flight? I don't think I have enough Time to stick around for 3 millenia.

Indeed. Then you'd be late for the conference.

In the subject, the one who is currently using BlitzGirl's account wrote:The errors, they burn! Ack!

That means that BlitzGirl is alive.
@BlitzGirl: If you need help with your invader, write it in the subject line.
(Just in case: Molpies to the rescue! ImageImageImage)

BlitzGirl wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:
ZoomanSP wrote:After more than 2166 newpages, scientists also discover that otters are a chatty bunch.

YESSS!!!! Someone finally cited my article! (No. 81, if you're curious.)
Thanks for posting that, Zooman. Made my dip.

OMR, that's actually you! In the SCIENCE notes! Image Neat!

Hey, that's a neat optional decree:
Bring SCIENCE!

For decree:
The Big Picture of ENE and The Conference
  • In 2012, the Bochum University of Applied Sciences (= The Sustainable University) prepared the launch of a new degree programme, Sustainable Development. Since autumn 2013, there are the first students who want to obtain a Bachelor of Science in this field.
  • Also in 2012, a group of scientists (including myself) filed an application for governmental funding of a new focus of research, Sustainable Development. In 2013, the funding was granted.
  • The first research project in the new field of research is the Erlebnisraum Nachhaltige Entwicklung (Sustainable Development – Room of Experience). The plan is to build a – physical :!:bluecave room, the Erlebnisraum, where Cueball visitors can experience sustainability: There will be neat visualisations of global data, simulations where you can take action (“Okay, let's replace all remaining light bulbs in Germany by energy-saving lamps. Then let's see whether the world climate notices.”), and so on.
  • When the visitors come out of the room, they'll be radiating eager to talk to their friends about sustainability. To simplify this, we should provide a sustainable online forum (running on 100% sustainable Free Software, respecting the privacy of their users, etc.). However realistically, they won't use a new forum but instead go to their usual online places (running on proprietary software, selling the private data of their users), discuss it there, get flamed for that, and the discussion **ds even before the first sandcastle was built.
  • This is where I come into play. I have experienced that an online community can be sustainable. This part is difficult to explain: I'm speaking of a web forum discussing a comic where two people are sitting on a beach, building sandcastles, trying to understand what the sea does, molpy, molpy, molpy, molpy, …
  • But I cannot simply send the visitors of the Erlebnisraum to the OTT. That wouldn't be RELATED enough. Instead, they must form their own sustainable online community.
  • That's something you cannot enforce. But I suggest that it can be encouraged. There are plenty of examples where the formation of a sustainable online community got discouraged by something which can be identified: specific moderator action, technical flaws which led to misunderstandings and thus to personal conflicts, etc.
  • I want to find out how the OTT works, so I can take appropriate action to further the formation of a sustainable online community among the visitors of the Erlebnisraum – or everyone else who wants to join. (For instance, first-year students are motivated to join a community, so why not let them form a sustainable online community?)
  • Appropriate action covers both technical as well as social aspects.
  • Technical problems include: How to make the platform REDUNDANT? How to grant the users full control over their data? How to make a program respect the privacy of its users without turning it unusable?
  • Some social challenges are: How to avoid discussions to turn into flame wars? How to avoid conflicts when newcomers join the thread?
These are the questions I want to answer. Thus the conference.

Thanks for your attention.
Questions, anyone?
Last edited by Sustainabilizer on Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:59 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Image OTTer Meetup in Europe, 13 Feb 2015

Confused about the OTT? See the Wiki!
Want more Time? Check out TimeAfterTime!
There is a MIRROR of the OTT, just in case.
Sustainabilizer

Why would I?

Postby balthasar_s » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:55 pm UTC

I want to ONG something too.

Spoiler:
I'd highly recommend following the first commandment.

ergman wrote:whoah. Cool retrospective ST. how long has your location been on the moon? are you and balthasar in cahoots?

Spoiler:
If you wonder why some of my photos are a little yellowish:
I don't digitally filter them. I take the photo at evening. My desk lamp's lightbulb gives a very yellow-orange-ish light. And my camere's white balance correction only works correctly in daylight. The 7 segment displays on the photo are red in reality.
stimb.jpg
with
806. # .9 10 11 12. # 100% sustainability!
that's a robot so it doesn't count Image
balthasar_s

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HES » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:27 pm UTC

Thanks for the background, Professor Sustainable. I have some thoughts that I'll add once my new timeaccessportal starts sending the correct kind of light to the data exchange.
Image - Image - Image
H@ chirpingmustard
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:
He's H-E-S, he's H-E-S, he's got a "HE" before the S
He's not a hess, our H-E-S
Not hes or h'es or hEs or Hes!
He's our H-E-S!
HES

SOMETIMES YOU HOTDOG THE OTTER, SOMETIMES THE OTTER HOTDOGS

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:51 pm UTC

Wow3, I guess I was pretty backed up on sleep debt — I slept in until almost noon today. Note, that's not from gradual yappocization, that's going straight from a 10:30 -> 18:30 schedule to a 1:00 -> 11:30 sleep schedule (or perhaps isolated event?). I feel really well rested, though :D

Sustainabilizer wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
Spoiler:

Your luxury jet universe will be boarding in: approximately 3 millenia.

Wow⁷ – the inner of a luxury jet as a curved space-time? Which map did you use to create that? :shock:

The private jet universe has the curvature that the engineers decided would be necessary for a comfortable flight. It happens to be the same curvature you can produce with Photoshop's "Distort -> Polar" filter. With slight modifications.
ChronosDragon

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:53 pm UTC

Treeish photo, deskthasar_s!

lmjb1964 wrote:Also from KarMann's sig (can't remember who actually said it):
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.

KarMann actually said it himself, on NP350.
(And then he said it again on NP354.)

Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image
Hoping to see you at the European OTT meetup this February!
BlitzGirl

Location: In the 2100s. (Ketchup required 1522-32, 1633-50, 1879-86, 2116-32.)

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:58 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote: For SCIENCE decree:
New Clock May **d Time As We Know It[/center]

That's a silly clickbait title. The actual content of the article is far more interesting.

I love that the most precise clock in the world uses tin foil in its equipment. What a resilient material — holds together humanity's best instruments, protects people from the mind probes of aliens and the government, and keeps baked goods from sticking to the pan.
ChronosDragon

We interrupt your regularly scheduled post...

Postby azule » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:04 pm UTC

This is borne of the offhand remark in the FART thread. I thought maybe we didn't have any use of "fart" humor here. Mostly not. They're primarily uses of the words "brain fart" and "old fart". The following are most of the rest of the uses.

(non-)Random "fart" quotes, for your pleasure:

StratPlayer (with the first use in the OTT) wrote:"Architectural" makes it sound all highfaluting and productive, when really it's more like the "Fiddly-Fart Around With the Big Mound in the Middle" period.
I don't know what this usage means.

Neil_Boekend wrote:My theory about the trails of the beesnakes is that they fart a lot. This is their mode of flight. The brown gasses can be seen in the air, usually faintly but due to the monochromatic filter the GLR uses this becomes black.
Awesomeful theory. I shall term it as "exhaust", though.

yappo wrote:Like a Nazgul's fart.
*shakes head*

cellocgw wrote:All the same, I'll wait for a car that runs on the Official Green Fuel: Unicorn Farts.
Latent22 wrote:If you can get them to fart out the end of their horn it would make filling the tank a lot easier!
Uh..*continues to shake head*

BlueCrab wrote:But that's a good thing - if our inner children weren't rude little beasts then who would laugh at fart jokes? Heh, I said ‘fart.’ :lol:
Okay, good, we can blame someone else for this kind of humor. :)

Thank you for visiting the fart wing of our museum. FOR SCIENCE TIME!
Image[Ambassador Azule]

OTTer Meet in the land(ish) of Cueball. Details. Link. (Neither Link nor Link will be there.)

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.
azule
Saved

Postby ucim » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:39 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote: For SCIENCE decree:
New Clock May **d Time As We Know It

That's a silly clickbait title. The actual content of the article is far more interesting.

I love that the most precise clock in the world uses tin foil in its equipment. What a resilient material — holds together humanity's best instruments, protects people from the mind probes of aliens and the government, and keeps baked goods from sticking to the pan.
This is heresy. We know what Time is. Time **ded over a yip ago, but we're still here. No new clock is going to change that, tinfoil or not!

For that heresy, I sentence you to the Creampuff Maiden... a new torture device I have created, which fills the Foam Maiden with the cream from creampuffs. And you will have chocolate until you repent!

And until you find the real BlitzGirl!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar
ucim

THESE AREN'T THE BAGPUNS YOU'RE BLITZING FOR

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:37 am UTC

We're happy to report that the newpix-O-meter is back online at its original web address. Due to technical reasons, it is also available at www.chronoscreations.net as well. I am looking at ways to subdivide my application better.
ChronosDragon

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:14 am UTC

ucim wrote:For that heresy, I sentence you to the Creampuff Maiden... a new torture device I have created, which fills the Foam Maiden with the cream from creampuffs. And you will have chocolate until you repent!

NOOOOOO!

ucim wrote:And until you find the real BlitzGirl!

Look, I think I found her: Image

For decree:
The World Is Running Out of Chocolate — But Scientists Have a Plan to Fix That
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image
BlitzGirl

Postby ucim » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:58 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Look, I think I found her: Image
Aha! Proof positive!

Now who was it that first made the prediction that BlitzGirl was LaPetite?

Uh... wait a moment, the Pope wants a few words with me.
Spoiler:
molpy molpy molpy
Ah, yes. TheMinim was LaPetite. So, BlitzGirl must be TheMinim!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar
ucim

ENAP: 3 so far

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:43 am UTC

So all I have to do is summon TheMinim?
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image
BlitzGirl

Postby lmjb1964 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:37 am UTC

Thanks for the cookie and the cupcake, azule and Zooman. Baked goods make everything better!

Did you notice where the work on that clock was being fine? In a basement lab. That's why we lose so many OTTers to the basement. They get down there, start working in that lab and lose all sense of time as we know it.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts.Image
lmjb1964

Location: In the present. Still need to ketchup NP 2026-2058 and then, something like 2060-2090.

Postby balthasar_s » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:12 am UTC

The dnsd.info domain is suspended. The dnsdynamic.com and .org are timing out. On their twitter some people say that they couldn't register dince the beginning of the month. They weren't receiving their registration emails. I'm afraid that this may be an **d of dnsdynamic.org. Now I will have to do what I should have done from the beginning. Register my own domain and use a DDNS service for it. I've never done that before. Somewhere in the past Aluisio pointed me to a DDNS.

balthasar_s wrote:
Spoiler:
More about this photo:
I'll be building a digital clock SilentTimer action figure! It will be a (silent) digital alarm clock. At alarm time it will flash "ong" on the display.
806. # .9 10 11 12. # 100% sustainability!
that's a robot so it doesn't count Image
balthasar_s

THE XIP IS TOO CH*RPING FLUTTERBEEWINGISH

Postby Link » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:22 am UTC

I use http://www.dynu.com/ for my VPN. It does whatever it wants what it's supposed to do, and works with ddclient, which is molpish.
Link
418 I'm a teapot

Re: ENAP: 3 so far

Postby TheMinim » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:38 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:So all I have to do is summon TheMinim?

TheMinim is watching you...
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
My madspace
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.
TheMinim

Postby ucim » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:46 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:So all I have to do is summon TheMinim?
No, that would be too obvious. We have to ask Corinne.

Corinne - in this box, filled with the cream from creampuffs, is either an advanced and dangerous AI which will do anything to convince you it's BlitzGirl, or it's BlitzGirl herself. Do we let it out of the box?

Jose
ucim

Postby HES » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:59 pm UTC

Does the box have internet access?
Image - Image - Image
H@ chirpingmustard
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:
He's H-E-S, he's H-E-S, he's got a "HE" before the S
He's not a hess, our H-E-S
Not hes or h'es or hEs or Hes!
He's our H-E-S!
HES

Postby ucim » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:10 pm UTC

HES wrote:Does the box have internet access?
Well, it's connected to the sands of Time.

Jose
ucim

Previous

Return to Individual XKCD Comic Threads