1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:48 pm UTC

Optional decree:
What would your guest opinion review of Time say?

azule wrote:(I'm denying him any denying that he's an OTTer. ^_^)

Steakish research!

Sustainabilizer wrote:I guess that BlitzGirl got a message from the future via the Chronotransponder on the moonbase. The same happened to me.

It is a remarkable piece of technology, the Chronotransponder...

NoMouse wrote:Yay, BlitzGirl's bag! I mean, back... no, no, no, wait with the punsaw, it was just a mistake, waiiiii---

VITSSÅGEN ...oops.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image
Hoping to see you at the European OTT meetup this February!
BlitzGirl

Location: In the 2100s. (Ketchup required 1522-32, 1633-50, 1879-86, 2116-32.)

Postby HES » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:05 pm UTC

For decree:
Spoiler:
Molpy molpy molpy molpy
molpy molpy molpy molpy
molpy molpy molpy molpy
grapevine grapevine
Image - Image - Image
H@ chirpingmustard
HES

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:13 pm UTC

So cutting! So insightful! I give that review two molpies up.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image
BlitzGirl

Postby NoMouse » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:56 pm UTC

For decree, see my signature. :mrgreen:

Okay, that's not much of a review, more like a trailer or something.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.
NoMouse

Postby SBN » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:02 pm UTC

Tossing firstpost forward.
togg wrote:I immagine that you have speculated (and more than that) about the sexual actraction of the two characters. I'm curious to know what you have managed to reconstruct!

Welcome, togg, Revealer the Recent. Nice to have you here.

Yes, there was speculation about that. I myself, being an old married person, believe that also of Megan and Cue. The comfortable silence they seem to share indicates to me a familiarity not quickly developed.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

kalira,kr4, micdi, PayasYouDraw, svenman, preciousidiot, TieSoul, et al. GLRspeed blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!
SBN
Saved

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:11 pm UTC

I'd watch that trailer, NoMouse. :D

Welcome to the thread, togg!
togg wrote: I'm curious to know what you have managed to reconstruct!

For PG audiences, we have this: Image
And for R-rated material, this:
Spoiler:

There has been much discussion about the Cueball-Megan relationship over the last year and a half.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image
BlitzGirl

Postby dan_dassow » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:14 pm UTC

I have been truly fascinated by this thread in addition to the original work that spawned this thread. I’ve pondered two philosophical questions for a few months and especially after Randall received the Hugo Award:

1. There are potentially millions of people who have seen “Time” and this thread. As a result there is a large pool of people who could continue this thread indefinitely. Unless some event, such as Kurzweil’s technological singularity or mass extinction intervenes, how long do you believe that this thread will continue? Would you expect others to continue this thread once the original contributors to this thread are incapable of posting to this thread? If you believe that this will continue indefinitely, what do you believe would be the primary impetus for this thread to continue? If you believe that this thread will eventually cease to have contributions, what do you believe would be the likely reason or reasons for contributions to this thread to cease?

2. If a cultural anthropologist were to study the social dynamics of this thread, what conclusions do you believe that anthropologist would determine? Could a cultural anthropologist truly understand the social dynamics of this thread without becoming a participant? Could a cultural anthropologist participate in this thread without contaminating their results?

3. Have these questions or similar questions been discussed before? Are these questions so inherently self-referential and recursive that they would be difficult to answer?
dan_dassow

Postby HES » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:16 pm UTC

Heh. I love it when I don't even have to open a spoiler
Image - Image - Image
H@ chirpingmustard
HES

ENAP: 1 so far

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:23 pm UTC

dan_dassow, those sort of questions seem perfectly suited for the upcoming "sustainable online community" conference featuring the OTT. :)
I imagine question 1 in particular will be a featured topic.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image
BlitzGirl

Postby azule » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:21 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
togg wrote: I'm curious to know what you have managed to reconstruct!

For PG audiences, we have this: Image
And for R-rated material, this:
Spoiler:

There has been much discussion about the Cueball-Megan relationship over the last year and a half.
I thought the "R-rated" might have a link... Maybe that would be under NC-17. ;) (American Movie Rating System terms, sorry to non-Americans.)

Welcome, togg! Hi, dan. Perfectly ninja'd reply by BlitzGirl.
Image[Ambassador Azule]

OTTer Meet in the land(ish) of Cueball. Details. Link. (Link will not be there, but Link may.)

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.
azule
Saved

ENAP: 3 so far

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:10 pm UTC

HES wrote:Heh. I love it when I don't even have to open a spoiler

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image
BlitzGirl

Postby ucim » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:14 am UTC

Better watch out BlitzGirl - TheMinim is still around!

ENAP?

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar
ucim

Postby lmjb1964 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:15 am UTC

Hi! I meant to post earlier, but there was so much I wanted to respond to, and tis post kept taking longer and longer to write. As it is, I think I'll post now and respond to NP 2124 later.

Thanks for the sun-eating dragon pix, CD! Treeish!

ucim, I really enjoyed reading your thoughts on the development of the OTT. We could make a surveymonkey poll asking why people left the OTT and PM it to some of the previously more active basementees, and we'd have more data-y stuff for the conference.
Also, awesomeful alliterations aplenty!!

azule wrote:Thought -- Did you know that it's hard to get a (new) decree followed? I hope, though, that my story outline decree is a work in progress thing and that we'll see someone's musings at some point. :) Like, lmjbot's decree: I hope to get to mustarding up a newpix. Sounds like fun.
lmnija'd! (See? It's l-m-n, alphabetically sequential letters...) You didn't owe me anything, but awesomeful submission! :) Now, I owe you one and I owe me one...so one or two? hah!

Well, I think it's easier to get decrees followed if they don't involve work. :) Even if it's fun work, like creating otties or coming up with alternate story lines. I was going to give an outline of my Molpy Hunter story. I have so much of it in my heard. But then I thought, I AM going to write it, and I don't want to give anything away.

balthasar_s wrote:Yesterday I was talking to a friend. At some point:
I: ..of course, what else could I do?
he: Well, you could always fly to the moon or something like that...

He doesn't know about this moonbase thing.

Well, yeah, it is a secret moon base.

I may be biased, but I think the drawing of lmjbot is adorable.

karhell wrote:Or, with a bunch of screw pumps and a reservoir, we could create a water lift right next to the exit, that way you can kayak out all you want without ever needing to flood the basement !
With minimal modification, we could even use the design to flush basementees right into the lift and back here!

Brilliant!

Thanks for linking to that xkcdsucks article about time, ggh. I see that azule has found that he is an OTTer. I think he would have to be (despite his not knowing that it was a hedgemolpy). He's obviously very comfortable with OTTish. I also thought it was a pretty good article, although I thought this paragraph was kinda lame:

Jon Levi on xkcdsucks wrote:That being said, you don't write a story for the sake of dropping every single piece of your research into it. And that's what I think Randall has done. The extensive journey sections look like they were written simply to show off Randall's knowledge of Afro-European fauna. As a writer, you are not supposed to do this. I think research is a fine way to make your fictional world feel more real, but there is such a thing as overdoing it.

As a writer you're not supposed to do that? I don't really think that's true, any more than I think that Time represents the full breadth of GLR's knowledge of the Zanclean flood or Afro-European fauna.

But I can forgive him because he used awesomeful :D (which also marks him as an OTTer.)

And good luck with costume. You could go with the Charlie Brown ghost costume, which if I remember correctly was a washcloth with eyeholes cut out. But then all the Little Wonder would get would be rocks.
Charlie Brown was really depressing.

SBN wrote:Regarding costumes, assuming you're referencing the Little Wonder's costume, and not your own. I used this technique when my two were little.
Kid: I want to be (thing I couldn't possibly pull off) for Hallowe'en" Me: "Yeah, maybe you could be that."
time passes
Kid: I want to be (thing I couldn't possibly pull off) for Hallowe'en" Me: "Yeah, maybe you could be that."
time passes
Kid: I want to be (thing I can actually make) for Hallowe'en" Me: "Oh, good idea, you can be that."
time passes
Kid: I want to be (thing I couldn't possibly pull off) for Hallowe'en" Me: "But you're being (thing I can actually make), remember?"

Also brilliant, and hilarious.

Welcome to the OTT, togg! Always so cool to see new faces.
By the way, I think that's an important point about this community. The members made a conscious effort to welcome new OTTers and do their best to help them feel comfortable here.

Eternal Density wrote:I'm still in two minds about OTTerCon2015 attendance. On one hand, I don't really have any major reasons not to go, on the other hand, Social Anxiety!

I want to second what Ergman said and others said. Don't let this stop you. I'll tell you a story (spoilered for seaishness).
Spoiler:
I didn't start playing percussion till I was in my twenties (although I played other things, could read music, etc.). I had been playing almost a year when my teacher referred me to the local professional theater company to play percussion. I didn't have an audition. I just met with the music director, who gave me the book (the show was Oliver!), and said, "Do you think you can play this?" At that time, most music theater books were hand-written, making them hard to read. And some of the bell and xylophone parts gave me a definite Black Page moment. But I looked at the music and said, "Sure."

I had so much anxiety before rehearsals started, and during rehearsals, and even once the show opened. In facts, for several yips, a few wips before rehearsal would start for a show or other major gig, I would have stress nightmares--I didn't have my music, I couldn't get into the theater, I was in the wrong place. But I kept doing it, and it got better. And it changed my life, and brought me experiences I never would have imagined.

Then, about 6 yips ago, we suddenly lost the instructor for our Musical Theater course, 1 mip before the class started. I said, "I can teach it." So, they hired me. For that mip, and for the first few wips or so of the class, I was freaking out. Hardly sleeping, couldn't eat before the class because my stomach was in knots, stress nightmares. But I did it, and it was a good experience.

I know for some social anxiety can be paralyzing, and it isn't something you can just decide to overcome. But if you're thinking you don't want to go because you think it might be hard for you--just go. Do it. You might feel uncomfortable, nervous, anxious. But you're not jumping out of an airplane. It's not going to kill you. And if you don't take those risks and push yourself out of your comfort zone, you'll miss out on so much. And once you start taking those risks, it gets easier to do.

*puts soapbox away*

On a RELATED note, send thoughts of molpishness so that when I ask my boss if I can take a wip off in Feb or Mar, he says yes.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts.Image
lmjb1964

Location: In the present. Still need to ketchup NP 2026-2058 and then, something like 2060-2090.

What would summon themoonim?

Postby ergman » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:21 am UTC

hopefully that will summon Theminnim.

Dan_dassow:
1) sounds like you should attend the meetup. These are things we plan to discuss, and have, somewhat, throughout the thread. My personal opinion on sustainability is that I probably haven't been alive long enough to determine what that word even means. I don't plan on going anywhere myself though.

2) as for the cultural anthropologists, I think quite a few of us came here with that intent, and ended up going native :P

3) If we keep talking about ourselves, we will never run out of material!
EDIT And speaking of recursion, here's a spur of the moment hat! Recursive castles are a bit of a custom.
togg wrote:I immagine that you have speculated (and more than that) about the sexual actraction of the two characters. I'm curious to know what you have managed to reconstruct!
Welcome Togg! Their relationship reminds me of that of many childrens works, where there is an obvious pairing that always avoids fruition for the sake of whatever tension lies in the preamble.

edit: mightily preview ninja'd! It's a great feeling :D
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!

OTTer Meetup! I can't go, but YOU should!
ergman

Postby ZoomanSP » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:49 am UTC

Lots of OutsideH going on this wipend, so just two things to say:

Welcome back home, BlitzGirl! :D

HES wrote:Aww, I missed a blitzyaphesogirl opportunity because I was in the pub.

Go home, hamply, you're drunk.
Spoiler:
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."
ZoomanSP

Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:52 am UTC

Thanks, ZoomanSP! :D
Steakish castlehatting, ergman.

ucim wrote:ENAP?

Empty Nopix After Post.

lmjb1964 wrote:I was going to give an outline of my Molpy Hunter story. I have so much of it in my heard. But then I thought, I AM going to write it, and I don't want to give anything away.

Yay, more story to Wait for! Molpish luck on the wip-off possibility.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image
BlitzGirl

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:52 am UTC

*imagines HES at the pub...*
Spoiler:
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually. Wait for it.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT
yappobiscuits

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:32 am UTC

A pint to a hamply would be like the sea1.

1big
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image
BlitzGirl

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:43 am UTC

It comes in seas1?

I'm getting one!
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually. Wait for it.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT
yappobiscuits

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:34 am UTC

Just make sure you don't get a Zanclean one.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image
BlitzGirl

THERE IS NO BUNGALOW FOR THE BAOBABISH

Postby Eternal Density » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:48 am UTC

Hi all! Lots of molpish treeishness since my last post, which is especially good since it hasn't been very lONG.
Last nip and this mornip I practiced starting conversations with strangers, and it wasn't really all that bad. :D
ImagePlay the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

GAZEBO OINTMENT HARPSICHORD CREDENZA BUNGALOW
Eternal Density

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:56 am UTC

Yay! :D

SciONGtific testing...
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image
BlitzGirl

Previous

Return to Individual XKCD Comic Threads