1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:37 am UTC

Wow, edo! Hi, edo! And Febrion, and MistyCat--yay! I forgot go say hi to EoM earlier. Earthling, i think your new avatar confuses me. :D if I missed anyone else, hi!

This is a happy page. And happy OTTerConiversary! Happy memories. I'd love go meet upbwith y'all again at our pub, Le Clochard.

Looks like the Beanies are chopping up the tree. Hard work with those little axes. So, building a raftcastle or something to plug the breach?

ETA: Pope again!

Here are some various decrees you can follow, or not:

If you're in the shed and haven't posted for a while, say hi!
OR
Summon a basementee
OR
Theorize about magic nanopixiebots
OR
Figure out what the ch*rp is at the base of the treeε in the B&W ONGs.
Last edited by lmjb1964 on Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:41 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s
lmjb1964

Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:37 am UTC

Happy OTTerConiversary!
I miss our pub too. And our train trips and our recumbantcycle and solarcarcastle demos and our conference room with chat projector and spotty phone signal, and talking OTTers and singing OTTers...

Also a new bot found the meaning of life.
https://github.com/coreylynch/grid-lstm
The meaning of life is performed over separate categories of gold-roped diplomats. ** (1) Malt, though not industriated by lots of ''birds'' and some second century, noto for infant evil and to encourage warming or design;

== Economic issues ==

Brain is made up of flavours of circuits; furrel breeding or landed identity. The word ''pine'' are categorically directed to ''education'' by its ''fish'' and [[sandman]]. When revised, foods are found as [[double burn]]s. Some code can also be extreme and in a little border they do not ask in public cuisine, so local heat is of the universe without formally writing the life and the most violated, [[hoaxing]] environment, to it possibly for food altogether in females. When the railroad is removed, some poison cats can be steadily looped incens across the food permutation of [[prime]].
Eternal Density

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:42 pm UTC

Ah, I've been wondering about the meaning of life. Thanks for clearing that up!

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s
lmjb1964

Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:59 pm UTC

The meaning of life is to create the OTT.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.
Neil_Boekend

Postby ucim » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:15 pm UTC

Chapter 48

"Forgive me Father, for I have sinned."

The confessional is a small dark room in the back of the Cathedral, and Fifth Cleric was seated in the center chamber, listening. It would soon be his turn to occupy an outer chamber and make his own confession, but for the moment, these supplications were coming to him, in the hopes that in doing, the supplicant would receive enlightenment, guidance, catharsis, and forgiveness. Fifth Cleric leaned in towards the cloth covering the small grate through which these words were coming.

"Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. I have allowed the Outside to draw my eyes from the One True Path. I have sorely neglected my bretheren and sisteren in this Needle-pulled thing. I have perverted the First Commandment, postponed my posts until memory no longer serves, and I have falsely consoled myself in the heresy that later is as good as now. I have fallen into darkness, and fear the Basement."

A tingle went up Fifth Cleric's spine - a mixture of sorrow, dread, joy, and anticipation. The Basement can be a lonely and seductive place, full of one-way traps whose discovery is lost to us as soon as it happens. He thought of the many congregants feared to be wandering there, perhaps victims of one of these merciless maws. That was the whole point of the Holy Quest on which The Pope had sent First Cleric. Returning from the basement however is a cause of celebration, not sorrow, and Fifth Cleric had to work to contain his excitement.
Spoiler:
"Basement canna be itself a heresy", started Fifth Cleric. "Nae, but it is sometimes the result of heresy. 'Tis one of the reasons we avoid heresy, for 'tis a lonely place, and it makes the OTT a lonlier place. Anyone returning from Basement is welcomed with open arms, unconditionally, for the OTT is richer for havin' ye here, and ye'll find yourself richer too for being 'ere again."

There was a long pause.

"This I know", said the voice from behind the grate.

Fifth Cleric's mind was racing. If only he knew who it was that was confessing, he could offer better council. It clearly wasn't BlitzGirl, but perhaps it was Kieryn? He'd been missing since last Community and it'd be awesomeful to have him back. Other names went through is mind too, but he couldn't hear well enough to match the voice. And that was the point of the grate. You weren't supposed to know. It was imperfect, but at least you weren't supposed to try to know.

From behind the grate, the voice came, "I sometimes fall into silence; without silence, sound is just noise. But although quiet contemplation can lead to enlightenment, it leads as easily into dark heresy. Which is very similar to dark hershey."

This was too much. Fifth Cleric said, "Ye may have fallen into silence, but ye kenna've fallen into the Basement, for otherwise ye wouldn't have the temerity to pun in the confessional. BlitzGirl is..." Fifth Cleric stopped. He did not want to say it. She's been missing since Deliverance. Nobody knows why, but the effects are plain to see.

Reading his thoughts, the voice in the confessional replied, "First Cleric went to find her. He went alone. I sent him."

There was another long pause.

It was not unusual for the Pope to take confession; it was expected of all clerics just as it is expected of all other congregants. But this was an unusual sin for the Pope to be confessing to.

"Very well, then", said Fifth Cleric. "Hersheys it will be. Ironically, there is a heretical holiday coming up on the 19th of Community; we have some kisses left over from last yip. Come now, this cannot wait."

Fifth Cleric opened the door to the confessional and stepped out into the nave of the Cathedral. The side door opened, and the Pope stepped out and joined him. Together they walked to the Chocolate Chapel to perform the sacrament. Fifth Cleric continued.

"You did not send him. He sent himself. And did so with the explicit blessing of the Holy Arrow of Armageddon, which he carries with him. And he goes with your prayer tiles. And he goes with newfound wisdom whose source I cannot fathom, but which I've heard with my own ears. I canna believe I'm saying this, but there is nobody better suited to this mission than First Cleric."

"Yes, and meanwhile, what am I here for?", pleaded the Pope.

"Now that is heresy! In the chair!" Fifth Cleric pointed to a plush, overstuffed piece of furniture that looked incredibly comfortable to sink into.

"Is that really necessary? I could just sit here on the wooden bench instead."

"I'm afraid it is. And quickly now, before I find myself needing to use the soft pillows!", replied Fifth Cleric.

The Pope removed his hat, and sat in the chair. He couldn't even stifle the "aaaahhhh" that came out of his mouth as he sank into it, and he was soon completely relaxed and comfortable. One by one, stale chocolate kisses descended from the ceiling as Fifth Cleric administered the sacrament. The Pope tried to catch a few in his mouth; interestingly the ones he caught were already unwrapped, whereas all the ones that missed his eager maw stayed in their foil wrappers for reuse, should there be another occasion of heresy this high. During the bombardment, the Pope contemplated his sins; considered all the valient Blitzers who are, even as we speak, braving the entirety of the One True Thread. One name in particular came to mind - Rakhal, who had just recently started the Holy Quest, and was by now well on his (or her) way. He silently offered up a prayer that xe make it safely through all the perilous dangers, and the dangerous perils. He began to dream of the Great Celebration that would happen when the Quest had come to its Glorious Conclusion. He thought of all the other Timewaiters who are still on Quest.

Slowly, The Pope came to his senses. He was not heading for the Basement. In fact, he'd been watching and reading the whole time. Without silence, there may be no sound, but he came to realize that without sound, there is no OTT.

The pelting came to an end, and the Pope arose from the Comfy Chair. "Thanks - I needed that!", he said to Fifth Cleric.

Fifth Cleric smiled, and closed out the ceremony, saying, "In the name of the One True Author, in observance of the One True Comic, in the service of the One True Thread."

The Pope replied, "Amen!" And in that moment, the whirly parts of the Crystal Organ began to turn. The Pope saw it first. "We have shoe!", he exclaimed, looking up at the image being displayed on the screen. It was blurry, and sideways, but it was unmistakable.

Somewhere, somehow, First Cleric had found BlitzGirl!
Jose
<-- previous (NP 2395) | table of contents (on xkcd wiki)
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction
ucim

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:35 pm UTC

AotC! Yippee! What a way to return from the shed.

First Cleric found BlitzGirl? Where is she? WHERE IS SHE???

Oh, and welcome back, ucim. :wink:

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s
lmjb1964

Postby ucim » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:38 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:First Cleric found BlitzGirl? Where is she? WHERE IS SHE???
I could tell you, but then I'd have to pelt you with chocolate!

Oh, ok. Here:
Spoiler:
And thanks for the welcome! :)

Blitzspeed Rakhal! We all await your Glorious Entry into the Present! Love your new avatar addams! Looks like a deer waving! (I know, it's a tree behind you, but it works for me.) Much else, but memory, as you know, is the... oh... how does that go again?

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction
ucim

Re: 2015: "First True Conference"

Postby StormAngel » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:45 pm UTC

@ucim: Memory is the first to- A raftcastle? I saw a raftcastle, it went, ah... that way!

We love our Neat Pub,
And all its Ottish Folk
Boom De Yada, Boom De Yada,
Boom Dr Yadn, Bboz Dr Yndn!
Oelpr Jnhar, Knight of the Chronological Order
Purveyor of Pepsi, the One True Beverage
yappobiscuits wrote:"I wanna be redundant too! Lemme be redundant! C'monnn!"

"HELLO. MY NAME IS STORMANGEL. YOU OTCOLORED MY NOPICES. PREPARE TO GO CAVE."
SBN wrote:sigged.

My OTTifications on Imgur
Spoiler:
Ch*rp

StormAngel

Postby lmjb1964 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:24 am UTC

ucim wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:First Cleric found BlitzGirl? Where is she? WHERE IS SHE???
I could tell you, but then I'd have to pelt you with chocolate!

Oh, ok. Here:
Spoiler:

Augh, you got me. If TheMinim were here, she's give you what for (what five, even).

Thank you for posting that picture, StormAngel. Brings back many memories:
M*stard at the Chocolate Museum.
And then the M*stard Museum.
addams and I being hit on by an old German guy in Le Clochard.
Trying to keep up with Neil as he walked, since he's about two feet taller than me. addams had no trouble, though, for some reason...
Walking to the conference the first day with Neil and addams, and seeing someone standing on the walkway, and realizing it was balthasar, and giving him a big hug.
Ordering something for lunch because it cost 11,90.
How molpish it was to meet OTTers IRL.
Wishing the other OTTers could be there with us.
Getting to chat with OTTers who couldn't be there with us.
Getting to meet sus_organizer.
All the costumes in for Kölner Karneval.
Trying not to lose addams at Kölner Karneval. :)
Having marsh'n look at his phone to see if he could figure out where the Dom was, and one of us turning him around to see that it was right in front of us. :)
And other awesomeful stuff.I'm ready for OTTerCon 2.

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s
lmjb1964

Postby SBN » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:18 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:And other awesomeful stuff.I'm ready for OTTerCon 2.

Did Yappo ever get his beanie?

LW is still favoring a foreleg, but he seems to be improving.

And I'm getting a new grand-wolpuppy.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed Rakhal and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!
SBN
Saved

Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby mscha » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:24 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Ah, I've been wondering about the meaning of life. Thanks for clearing that up!

I used to wonder about the meaning of life. But I looked it up in the dictionary under “L” and there it was – the meaning of life. It was less than I expected.
Dogbert

ETA: yay, ucim returns with new Acts!

ETA2: for the decree, I summon BlitzGirl (and the First Cleric). You better debasement soon, or the molpy gets it.
Spoiler:
Last edited by mscha on Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:52 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:
mscha

Postby ggh » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:52 am UTC

ucim wrote:A tingle went up Fifth Cleric's spine
And mine too.

Jose, you make me happy. :)
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it :)
ggh

Postby slinches » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:12 am UTC

When and where is OTTercon II?? I'll be there if sluggishly possible.
slinches

ONE DOES NOT SIMPLY DELURK INTO OTTᴇʀᴄᴏɴ.

Postby mrob27 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:28 am UTC

taixzo wrote:New surprise othercomic, about waves (but not in the sea1).
1big.

I think we should designate the Universe as a "sea" (it certainly meets the big1ness criterion.)

@Eternal Density, that new Torch7-based LSTM system you found looks really good. Can you run it on your own system? You might be able to forget about the Karpathy code (which I think you said wasn't working for you anymore).
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ
mrob27

Postby HES » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:49 am UTC

SBN wrote:Did Yappo ever get his beanie?

Unfortunately not. It may be a small country, but we're now at opposite ends.
lmjb1964 wrote:Ordering something for lunch because it cost 11,90

Was that at the place with the seaish ketchup and mustard bottles?
Image - Image - Image
H@ chirpingmustard
He/Him/His
HES

Postby MistyCat » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:40 pm UTC

Hey, I luv you guys.
hic
I mean I really luv you guys.
I do.
hic
You're all just so... so... clever!
And funny. But clever == funny, so that was redun hic dant.
Hey, don't tell anyone, but I'm celebratinginging my . . . . hey, what hapind to Yappoyappbisyapobiscits? Mad skilz, Yappo.
wher'z Blit hic blit hic blitzgurl?
But your yore yr you're all so .. nice.
nice

adjective
giving pleasure or satisfaction; pleasant or attractive.
"we had a very nice time"
synonyms: enjoyable, pleasant, pleasurable, agreeable, delightful, satisfying, gratifying, acceptable, to one's liking, entertaining, amusing, diverting, marvellous, good; More
(especially of a difference) slight or subtle.
"there is a nice distinction between self-sacrifice and martyrdom"
synonyms: subtle, fine, delicate, minute, precise, exact, accurate, strict, close, careful, meticulous, rigorous, scrupulous, ultra-fine
"that's a rather nice distinction to make"

Exactly. Exactly.
Umm... yeah...
Hey, Sustainoblitzoblitzoblitzothingy. Why does this thread sustain?
Cos I can say crap like this and not a single response will hic mention suppositories or Hitler. Probably.

Hey, ucim! Yeah! Keep on doing it! cos I'm a really selfish thing wot... Hey! Ursula le Guin.
The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas Ursula Le Guin.
Wot! you havnt read it!
Do it.
Now.
hic
ZZZZZZZ
Purrr.
MistyCat wrote:Ch*rpedy ch*rp the ch*rpng ch*rp.

Waiting for Lucky
MistyCat

Previous

Return to Individual XKCD Comic Threads