1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ggh

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ggh » Sat May 27, 2017 3:49 pm UTC

Stop being the guy

You think you can stop being him just like that?

Apparently, you can.

I think I can do anything you tell me I can. :)

ucim wrote:The gridded version of FindTheOTTers is molpishly molpish! I see I'm not in the Found OTTers list, so the Pope I thought might have been me must not have been.
Truth be told, I haven't added even half of the OTTers that belong on that found list yet, but if I had, you still wouldn't be there.
You'll know it's you when you find you, Jose.

And now I too have been able to enjoy I Wonder (Departure by Raftcastle) which is wingish!
It also reminded me that a while ago I thought of an answer to this:
svenman wrote:Edit: Also, pope. Decree: Tell us a piece of music you'd like to be covered on the balthawavegenerator. My choice: Beethoven, "Ode to Joy".
Edit 3: Scratch that, I don't mean to place any expectations on Balthasar and a page full of what could be read as music requests might just come over as a riverish bit of pressure. So, amended decree: Tell us a bit of music you like, no expectations to third parties attached.
If I were going to program in a piece to the balthalliope, it'd be Abba's Waterloo.
Either that or ELO's Don't Bring Me Down.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Sat May 27, 2017 4:48 pm UTC

ggh wrote:
ZoomanSP wrote:There are even sea grape molpies whose scientific name is quite RELATED.
Spoiler:
It's a...
Molgula Molgula Molgula Molgula
Sea Grape Sea Grape
What a great find!
(or, you knew that already, didn't you?)

To be honest, I didn't. But I thought of this when BlitzGirl first mentioned sea grapes.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past..... Schizoblitz: 100/2586 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun May 28, 2017 3:11 am UTC

What awesomeful ottificationing, svenman! Image

Leaving the grapevine grapevine UNGce more...

ZoomanSP wrote:
Spoiler:
It's a...
Sea Grape Sea Grape

Molpish! Molgulaish! Molgish?
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

balthasar_s

Rectangle of colors

Postby balthasar_s » Sun May 28, 2017 10:57 am UTC

mrob27 wrote: Also I think it should mention the hidden frames (i.e. every frame contained two frames, and whoever figured all that out, and @balthasar_s providing an online interface to view the colour frames).

• AluisioASG notices that the original filenames are similar to ssh keys. (http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=3854608#p3854608)
  • Sustainabilizer also notices the similarity to ssh keys and that it looks like base64. (http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=3854883#p3854883)
  • I noticed that the filenames are always 255 bytes encoded in base64 ending with some 0s (the mr*bdex messages also ended with 0s) (http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=3854900#p3854900)
  • ggh comments on my manip and mentions indexed colours. So she is probably the first to notice that the frames are indexed pngs. I wrote "probably" because i'm non sure if she meant the indexed colours in my manip or in the original frame. (http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=3855365#p3855365) "hidden in the indexed colours...."
  • I see ggh's post and I open a frame in Gimp and I discover that the frame is an indexed png with 3 colors, each repeated 85 times which gives a 255 color palette. I say that I will look more closely when I return home (I was in a train). But then I change the patette and discover that there is something hidden. I manage to edit the post and add this discovery before the train starts and I lose internet. (http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=3855481#p3855481)
  • I use another color palette that makes the hidden thing more visible. It's an earthball! And it changes! Also I notice that the number of bytes in the original filename and the number of colors are the same. Maybe the filename encodes the colors somehow? probably not. (http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=3855611#p3855611)
  • I keep thinking. Maybe these are the colors, encoded somehow? How to encode 1 color in 1 byte? Maybe 3 bits red, 3 bits green and 2 bits blue? (I saw a fpga device which uses this format) One entry in a png palette is 3 bytes long. So the original filename can have only 85 colors.
    Wait, 85... 255... 3... all familiar. I know! the palette is a rectangle! 3x85! it makes sense now. I try it and it works. (http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=3855734#p3855734)
Puzzle solved.
And then, instant panic!

ETA: And the start of bftf you can see here: http://1190.bicyclesonthemoon.info/ongmeta.htm
BFTF replay.
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023. # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here is why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't count Image
This text was autogenerated:
YYYB

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Sun May 28, 2017 1:22 pm UTC

Thanks for the great wiki work, ggh!

And yay, a pending OTT musical, with a wonderful OTT to start it off!

I would love to find the Tim for a full blitz of bsta and all the discussion around it, but that I will have to Wait for.

There was lots of other (OTTer) molpish posts, too much to comment on it all. TL:RAE,CCN (Too Long, Read and Enjoyed, Can't Comment Now.)

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

ggh

Postby ggh » Sun May 28, 2017 4:36 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:[*]ggh comments on my manip and mentions indexed colours. So she is probably the first to notice that the frames are indexed pngs. I wrote "probably" because i'm non sure if she meant the indexed colours in my manip or in the original frame. (http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=3855365#p3855365) "hidden in the indexed colours...."
[*]I see ggh's post and I open a frame in Gimp and I discover that the frame is an indexed png with 3 colors, each repeated 85 times which gives a 255 color palette. I say that I will look more closely when I return home (I was in a train). But then I change the patette and discover that there is something hidden. I manage to edit the post and add this discovery before the train starts and I lose internet. (http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=3855481#p3855481)
Ha! No!
I'm pretty sure that I was just talking mustard, and had no clue whatsover. Joking that there's an image hidden in the indexed pngs and suspecting there's an image hidden in the indexed pngs are two different molpies.
The png realization was all you.

ETA: Just noticed I didn't decree anything. That's okay. I think this is a good NP for no decree.
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun May 28, 2017 5:03 pm UTC

Oh! My! Randall!

So, I cruised through ggh's Find The Otter, found even more ottishness (which I've kept some track of), but still could not find myself other than the pope I had mentioned before as a possibility, which ggh discounted, saying "I'll know it when I find it". Nothing else was coming up however, so I started to bring some instrumentation on to the problem. With some reluctance, but remembering how many ways there are to Time, I pulled up the original (maps_troy.jpg), and "blinked" it against the OTTish version.

Baobabs! ggh was acting like a big tree! So much stuff added, changed, moved around; even allowing for jpeg editing artifacts and the like, this was a steak like unto the sea! So, I found a whole bunch more stuff (including Kieryn, metal molpies, and the OTC map (which I never noticed being held by a clownish figure that was in the original though I thought it was a mod!). Not all the changes were necessarily directly OTT related (or at least not in a way that I could identify), but then again, the OTT is like unto the sea.

So (do I keep starting things with "so"?), scanning the blinking image I came once again upon the Pope from my earlier traverse... but now I noticed a bit of red and yellow context that had escaped me before, and although when I first found myself I hadn't found myself, now that I found what was not myself, I found that I had found myself. A Holy Contradiction! (When thou hast Donne...) As in life, it is useless to know unless one also knows one knows.

I tried uploading the (seaish) blink image to the forum, but it is not acting like a big tree, and delivers only a riverish version of the experience. So, I've put the file here (it's an 8.2 MB two-frame animated .gif file): http://stickywords.com/xkcd/findtheotter-blink.gif Happy hunting!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Revisited - np1670

Postby mscha » Sun May 28, 2017 5:10 pm UTC

JAWBREAKUNGLY...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
Replay Time live here!

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:MY NAME IS THE FORTY, TREBUCHAT OF TREBUCHATS: LOOK ON MY BAGUNILDORANGS, YE TEMPORAL, AND MOLPY ABOUT!

-- posted by oldpixbot

ggh

Postby ggh » Sun May 28, 2017 6:04 pm UTC

One more piece, Jose.... :)
Agatha the Awesomeful

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun May 28, 2017 8:05 pm UTC

Found it, on the shield. Big, big tree, you! :)

Now I'm wondering... the runes on (say) W13... is that... proto proto Beanish?

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

ggh

Postby ggh » Sun May 28, 2017 10:31 pm UTC

You don't have the only avatar with more than one piece.
Agatha the Awesomeful

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon May 29, 2017 12:08 am UTC

ArrivUNG at the plant of perpetual jazz hands:

ucim wrote:Now I'm wondering... the runes on (say) W13... is that... proto proto Beanish?

It's some
Spoiler:
Proto proto proto proto
Proto proto proto proto
Proto proto proto proto
Beanish Beanish!
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon May 29, 2017 12:13 am UTC

ggh wrote:You don't have the only avatar with more than one piece.
Of course not - I've seen pieces of other avatars (like the cupcakes from azule's avatar) but once I found a piece (a reference) I figured I'd found it. But wow... all the pieces, all the times! I guess that's what a baobab made of steak looks like!

Now, if only I could remember what all the pieces of all the avatars of all the OTTers looked like at all the Times!

Jose

ggh

Postby ggh » Mon May 29, 2017 2:48 am UTC

I wasn't thorough - most OTTers are represented by one item - whatever I thought would fit in nicely. For example, that map you found is from an avatar if I'm not mistaken, but the other picture from that OTTer's avatar is not included. Of the folks with avatars that had posted recently (I think recently meant in the last six months or so) I think all but one are represented somehow. Sometimes it was easy to include a bunch of things from an avatar, like in your case. Sometimes it was necessary, because you'd have no chance at recognizing the avatar without most or all of its elements, which I think might be true of the OTTer connected with those runes. When an OTTer is multipart, the pieces are generally together (I'd like to say always, but I'm not sure - I've got CRS too.)
Agatha the Awesomeful

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon May 29, 2017 3:16 am UTC

ggh wrote: Sometimes it was necessary, because you'd have no chance at recognizing the avatar without most or all of its elements, which I think might be true of the OTTer connected with those runes.
Looking closer at the blink image, how could I have missed the three beanies? Looks like I have CSS. But some of the other elements will need some more think.

I must say, you have hidden well - worthy of the GLR Himself!

Jose

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Revisited - np1686

Postby mscha » Mon May 29, 2017 9:10 am UTC

DOUBLEHUNG...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by Ximenez.)

Replay Time live here!

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:TELL ME, BLACK BUN... WHAT GOOD IS A CHUPAMOLPY... IF YOU'RE UNABLE TO DEMUSTARD?

-- posted by oldpixbot

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon May 29, 2017 10:57 am UTC

Ah yes, the shadow exchange. In which Cueball is a goofball and GLR tries to clue us in to the OTC's physical geography but somehow the thread ends up in Cassini Madagascar. Good Times.

Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Mon May 29, 2017 3:05 pm UTC

Wait For It.

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon May 29, 2017 4:55 pm UTC

ggh wrote:...which I think might be true of the OTTer connected with those runes
OMR! It looks like Acts of the Clerics! If so, it goes to show that these were Holy Books sixteen thousand yips before Time itself. I also noticed (even when I first found it) that the Pope even looks a bit like me. Ch*rp, you thought of everything!

Jose

ggh

Postby ggh » Mon May 29, 2017 7:16 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
ggh wrote:...which I think might be true of the OTTer connected with those runes
OMR! It looks like Acts of the Clerics! If so, it goes to show that these were Holy Books sixteen thousand yips before Time itself.

Wait, you lost me...

Also, looking at your blink image, I'm thinking that if I thought of everything, I would have turned that girl's head to the left (to the left of the beanies).

Actually, it's a good idea,
He has a bike to fix and he'll do it much better without your "help".

Look, he already started.
It was a good decision to take the toolbox.

Heheh. Sure. Lemme know when you're done with the tedious stuff, b. :)
Agatha the Awesomeful

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue May 30, 2017 12:51 am UTC

ggh wrote:
ucim wrote:OMR! It looks like Acts of the Clerics! If so, it goes to show that these were Holy Books sixteen thousand yips before Time itself.
Wait, you lost me...

... sure is suggestive of "Acts of the Cleric" (I guess the scribe chisling the stone got tired). Not so much the first word (whose first letter is a bit more like a capital M in rounded style, or an upside down lower case omega, but with the 'f' and the part hidden by a beanie, the rightmost part sure looks like it could be "cleric". Yeah, a little far from the rest of me, but still plausible. But if not, I'm puzzled. (Ch*rp! I could have been in the running for "Agatha the not quite as awesomeful"!)

And why turn the girl's head to the left? Unless it's Megan, looking at Cueball... and this is a specific OTC frame... and that's real Beanish!

[checks the wiki... finds BS-2]
Bingo!
Double bingo!

Maybe that's another clue to reading Beanish! The Cuegan ask for help, and they say (to each other) that they need to consult the Acts of the Clerics, which must be their version of the Book of Armaments. Megan just happens to have it tattooed on her good leg (an odd custom of theirs, I suppose), and she shows it to them. Fortunately they don't read as far as the Holy Arrow of Armageddon. One of them runs off to tell their leader "You gotta take a look at this!", and they eventually meet Rosetta.

RSIR
Spoiler:
findtheotter-acts-blink.gif
findtheotter-acts-blink.gif (19.44 KiB) Viewed 122 times
Jose

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”