1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ucim

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ucim » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:59 pm UTC

Treeish video addams! It looks like a toy city, with all the colors and such. Is Wellington really colored like that? And ggh - I like the "WellyWon't" commentary.

So, you have a pun shirt, but only one pun shirt? I guess you're going to have to take the goat to court - it's an open and shirt case.

I wonder if the result of putting the broken clock into the clockpocket would be the same as putting a clock into a broken clockpocket.

That's all for now. Wifi is acting like a croissant.

ETA: Undiscovered Popitude (many underground VHF recordings of this exist but it has yet to be released on any of their albums)

Decree: What do you do when wifi goes all phyllo on you?

Jose
Last edited by ucim on Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:24 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:03 pm UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:54 pm UTC

It was a cold, rainy, miserable day in early March when I happened upon him. He had been left to fend for himself in a desolate stretch of woods bordering a lake, blind, helpless, and alone. I pried him loose from the branch he was clinging to and tucked him into an inner pocket of my coat, then proceeded upward to survey the ruins of his previous home. It had been torn apart, either by weather or a predator, and his parents and siblings had gone, so I continued to school and left him in my coat while I attended classes.
Spoiler:
Back home that evening, I placed Leon, the squirrel, in a sturdy box with an impromptu nest made of a heating pad and towels, and for the first few days, I fed him only watery Gatorade, in an effort to rehydrate him to the point where he was able to consume a formula I had purchased. After a few weeks of care, his eyes opened, and he started eating solid food. One day I had a surprise for him: Walnuts. You have no idea how heavenly these bundles of deliciousness are if you’ve never tried them. He would close his eyes so as to be able to focus completely on the joy of the experience, and then he would invariably fall over backwards from sheer delight. It was most amusing to watch.
Every morning he would wake me up between 5:03 and 5:10 AM by climbing from his hutch up to my window, slipping through into my room, crawling along an oak branch hanging from the ceiling, and jumping onto my face so I would get out of bed and get him some almonds from the container on my bookcase. I don’t know how he always knew what time it was, but he would even climb all the way up to the branch and jump on my face in the morning after colder nights when he slept curled up under the covers at the foot of my bed, perhaps because that was the only way he could be sure of getting his breakfast on time.
Occasionally Leon came to school with me, he would sit in my coat eating nuts and raisins all day and then follow me home again in the evening. One afternoon, I was working on a class project, and the teacher said in a strained voice, “GnomeAnne, is that yours?” Leon had wriggled out of the closed pocket of my jacket that I had left on my chair, and was trying to climb up the smooth steel leg of the table. I called him over and picked him up while the teacher did his best to restore order to the classroom, but the other students would not be satisfied until they had all gotten to pet him. He hopped from student to student and was exclaimed over and cuddled for some time. By the time everyone had calmed down, class was over and we all went home. After that, I stopped letting him follow me to school, and he had to amuse himself in his hutch during the day.
That summer was a blast. Leon was terrified of heights when he was young, and although he could climb well, he was petrified with fear at anything over ten feet or so. I would bring him up into trees and encourage him to climb around, and eventually hop down and leave him stranded, forcing him to move if he didn’t want to get left. Eventually he got over his dread, realised that heights were nothing to be afraid of, and learned to climb like a squirrel. After that, we had great fun leaping from tree to tree and playing tag through the branches, I was terribly slow and clumsy compared to him, and couldn’t catch him unless he let me, but I guess he wanted me to feel I was doing well, so he always made sure to go slowly so I wouldn’t get discouraged. That was also the summer that I taught him that dogs and squirrels shouldn’t be friends. I trained my parents’ dog, a terrifying beast that stood nearly 14 inches tall at the shoulder, to chase him. When I would let the dog out into the yard, Leon would have almost no warning of his approach: he learned to be alert at all times, ready to run for the nearest tree at the slightest sound. That dog still goes crazy when it sees a squirrel.

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:26 pm UTC

Treeish story GnomeAnne! (No, I donut mean that as a pun) :) It's nice to make a friend in nature.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:39 pm UTC

ucim wrote:I wonder if the result of putting the broken clock into the clockpocket would be the same as putting a clock into a broken clockpocket
To know this we should find out if clockpocketing is an associative operation1.

1You might say that it doesn't count because there are two different operations: pocketing and breaking.
But pocketing a clock of this size is equivalent to breaking the clock or pocket.

ETA: I started a Drawception game with the command "Remove broken clock from wall".
BFTF replay.
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023. # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here is why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't count Image
This text was autogenerated:

addams

Postby addams » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:52 pm UTC

ggh wrote:
Gingercat wrote:That Wellington sign is pretty funny :)
The airport wanted to put "WELLYWOOD" up on that hill. What an awful idea. The outpouring of community disgust led to a referendum, iirc, and the current sign. Edit: skip the last vid - this one is better.

Ooh - I've got to grab this post while the grabbing's good. I'll edit more in later....

Here we go -
ETA: RELATEDLY, earlier today a goat tried to eat my pun shirt:
Spoiler:

redundant:
Spoiler:
IMG_3354.JPGIMG_3335.JPG
also, an emu tried to eat my sandals, but that's less RELATED.sandleEater.jpg
ggh; You and Wellington are Soo Interesting!

Thank You for being You and letting us peek into your world;
That is so very, very far away.
GnomeAnne wrote:Has anyone been officially named DM for our d&d game?
I second the Addams nomination if she is up for it. Otherwise someone should volunteer Gingercat.
..umm.
If you ask me to do a Thing;
Then; I will do my very best to Do That Thing.

Before you assign me a position of authority,
I'd like you to consider the following Facts.
Spoiler:
I don't know What D&D is.
Other than it is a Game of Some Sort.

I don't know How it is Played.
Neither do I understand the Objectives.

If I were given a position of Authority,
I might make very controversial decisions.

Like...If a Fire Eater Wants to Live with a Water Spirit;
The rest of us must get used to Fog.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:10 pm UTC

Ch*rp, why is the Outside so Outsidey? I'm not in the basement, but do seem to be stuck in the shed. Working on finding my way out. Mwah!

ETA No time to ketchup right now, but just scrolling through a couple of pages to see your friendly faces made me very happy. And I see balthasaris has been creating awesomeful things. Can't wait to blitz that. Side note, I'm going to Berlin in April. Haven't looked yet to see how far that is from Bochum.

Edit 2. Looks to be over 5 hours. Not sure I'll have time for that long of a side trip. :(

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:30 pm UTC

ggh wrote:
macraw83 wrote:And when I got back I joined a Curling club, which is tons of fun for those who have never played that before (my only experience with it was watching it once every 4 years during the winter Olympics).
On this page of interesting things, I want to hear more about this.

So.... just after I said that, once again I accidentally the basement. Things got busy with the holidips (drove from upstate NY down to VA for both Thanksgiving [late NovemberH for non-US OTTers] and Christmas, with all sorts of goings-on in-between and afterwards) and I'm just now caught up on necessary Outside things to pop back into the thread.

I have some stuff going on this evening, but I wanted to pop in to say hello, and that I've thought about y'all frequently. I'm gonna ketchup the 15 or so NPs that I missed in coming dips. I'll make a quick summary of my experiences in curling when I have a few extra millinewpix to spare.

Molpy on!
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:51 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote: Looks to be over 5 hours. Not sure I'll have time for that long of a side trip. :(
3.5 to 4 by train.
When I was going to Bochum it was through Berlin.
BFTF replay.
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023. # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here is why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't count Image
This text was autogenerated:

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Randomly Revisited - np1505

Postby mscha » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:00 pm UTC

ORONGENESS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by pelrigg.)

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:I HAS AN OTHERCOMIC. YOU CAN HAS MY OTHERCOMIC.

-- posted by randompixbot

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”