1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

IF THWAPPING IN THE BLUECAVE IS HILLISH, CONSIDER ME GOATED.

Postby mrob27 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:41 am UTC

第四十五章

(chapter 44)

Morobu decides to stay here tonight, giving himself more time to consider what he has learned and to choose a plan for exploration. At the moment he is inclined to follow mscha, so he inscribes these intentions on his blank Cueball tile:

私はかなり混乱し、失われた取得する前に三日間、  
以前ここにミーシャと出会い、今戻ってきた。    
私はちょうど私の仲間の巡礼者の測量努力を発見した。
私はこの池でここに夜を過ごすでしょうし、     
おそらくミーシャの足跡をたどるでしょう。     
        守炉部二十七、五月二十八日の夕方。
(I met mscha here three days previously before getting quite
disoriented and lost, and have now returned. I have just discovered
the surveying efforts of my fellow pilgrims. I will spend the night
here on this pond and will probably follow in the footsteps of mscha.
             Morobu-Niju-Nana, 28th day of the 5th month, evening.)

With a bow to the two bonsai and the wowtree image in the hokora, Morobu places his tile at the end of the row of four pilgrims' tiles, making five.

IF BLITZING IN CHRONOCORP IS WEIRD, CONSIDER ME KEUGHT UP

Neil_Boekend wrote: Molpies are pet-able. Raptors are dinosaurs and other non-pet-ables.
Obligatory RELATED OTTification

Thanks for the meme help, @Link!

AluisioASG wrote: ETA @azule: I've taken a look at OTToMeme's code. Would it be possible for you to modularize the meme generator in a “call function, receive meme string” style? That way I could write a Memetic Post Enumerator.

Though I think @Azule's JavaScript might be well adapted to that, you could also consider mine (written in Perl) or @Link's (written in Python) if either of those languages is better for some reason.

pelrigg wrote: While ketchuping these last 3 pages I saw mrob27's post with it's LINK TO... So I went there and took a peek. I'm still confused, but nothing some research can't cure.

@ED answered, but I've also added you to AUTOMOME:

ONLY TWO THINGS COME FROM THE BASEMENT: PELRIGG AND REDUNDAKITTIES

Steakish ottification yappo!!!* I suppose folks will want to hear you sing it!
*(just want to point out Forum Spell Check underlined the first three words of this post.)

Rather than considering it heretical, I have decided that my spell-checker underlines OTTish words to indicate its approval. If there aren't enough underlines in my post, it's a sign that I'm having writer's block, and I need to take a walk on the beach or molpy down for a while.

Oh wow, @january1may, more orphan-memes rescued! Thanks! I knew the Hungarian Phrasebook one sounded familiar, but couldn't get beyond that. ... and yes, I also thought of first-person RPG's and such hotdogs when I saw the "{verb} THE {noun#1}S... WITH YOUR {noun#2}" one. I guess it's okay to leave a few of them unidentified.

Eternal Density wrote:Tardises? Shouldn't that be Tardii?

The Doctor Who community mildly prefers "TARDISes", and @Link's AUTOMOME uses that spelling; I however prefer the plural seen on Swedish OtherWiki. As a compromise in my AUTOMOME I have "TARDISES", but "MUSTARDISEN".

bachaddict wrote: I also contributed three models to a display of Technic sets. We had 117 sets, and won a box of 1600 bricks for Best Collection!

Yes, I was impressed when I watched your video. That has to be the most ch*rping impressive array of Technic vehicles I've seen anywhere. Technic is what I buy most of the time, because my passion is building orreries. Kinda big images here, only one of which I've posted before:

Spoiler:
Scale models of Jupiter and the moons Io, Europa and Ganymede

A triple star with a planet and moon

Miniaturizations of the same design

Five planets + three moons

5 planets + 4 moons, using only sets 8273 and 8287

balthasar_s wrote: A small hint: 41/29 is very close to the square root of 2.

Oh, that helps. There's a construction similar to the Golden spiral that yields a rectangle in the ratio 1:√2.

Start with two 1×1 pixels side-by-side:

Code: Select all
     _ _
    |_|_|

Then below this, add two squares to make a rectangle:

_ _
    |_|_|
    |   |
    |___|
    |   |
    |___|

This is a 2×5 rectangle. Now add two 5×5 squares on the right:

_ _ _________ _________
    |_|_|         |         |
    |   |         |         |
    |___|         |         |
    |   |         |         |
    |___|_________|_________|

This is a 12×5 rectangle. Now add two 12×12 squares on the top (I won't draw a figure) and you get a 12×29 rectangle. You can keep doing this as long as you want (the numbers you get are the Pell numbers 1, 2, 5, 12, 29, 70, 169, 408 and so on) but when you want to stop, you add a single square.
  So we'll add a single 29×29 square and we get 29×41. That is, as you say, close to the ratio 1:√2, and as @HES already pointed out, you can add just one more pixelB and you get 29×41+1 = 1190.
  I don't feel like this is the answer, it's just a bunch of coincidences. But it was fun doing anyway :D

mrob27 Image

B Perhaps a pixel of butter, if you can find a buttermonger to buy one from. Oh, what sad times are these when buttermongers are harder to find even than shrubbers! I must find me a Master of Searchfu!

Edit: Mwa-ha-ha-haaaa! Oops, sorry. *ahem* I mean, uh...

Find me a shrubbery!
(or anything molpish, or memeish,..)

Spoiler:
orr-2c-complete.jpg
One of my orrery models .

orr-pk-08.jpg
Miniaturizations of Orrery 2C

orr-d-lighter.jpg
5 planets and 3 moons

orr-h-overview.jpg
5 planets + 4 moons!
Last edited by mrob27 on Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:44 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
Yᴇs, I'ᴍ ᴍᴇɴᴛɪᴏɴᴇᴅ ɪɴ хᴋᴄᴅ ʙᴜᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ᴀɴᴅ I ʜᴀᴠᴇɴ'ᴛ ᴄᴏᴍᴍᴜɴɪᴄᴀᴛᴇᴅ ᴅɪʀᴇᴄᴛʟʏ;
ʙᴜᴛ ʟɪᴋᴇ ʜɪᴍ, I ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ ᴘᴀssɪᴏɴ ɍᴏʀ sᴇʟɍ-ᴘᴜʙʟɪsʜᴇᴅ ᴡᴏʀᴋ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴏɴʟʏ ʜᴀᴘᴘᴇɴs ᴛᴏ ʙᴇɴᴇɍɪᴛ ᴏᴛʜᴇʀs
mrob27

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby karhell » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:43 am UTC

Molpy back !
mrob27 wrote:[center]Mystery Memes
{verb} THE {noun#1}S... WITH YOUR {noun#2}

I'm fairly sure this one come from a variation of the Ramirez meme, but haven't found any conclusive evidence.

Oh, and LeavONG
jjjdavidson wrote:And of course, buffygirl's right. Reality should never get in the way of xkcd logic.

AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
karhell

Postby HES » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:57 am UTC

For pope:
Spoiler:

One that looks nice, and is not too expensive.
Image - Image - Image
H@ chirpingmustard
HES

OH HAI, I DEMUSTARDED YOUR POPE

Postby Link » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:58 am UTC

AUTOMOME 2.5 RELEASED

This version provides ketchup with mrob27's recent changes (well, mostly) and adds a few new memes and some vocabulary (including BlitzGirl and Eternal Density as new characters). The web version has received some changes that allow words containing underscores (it would previously m*stard the <em>phasis in this case). A crawlpy that caused the filter cookie to be cut off if it contained a semicolon has also been fixed. If you encounter any m*stard on the web version, delete your cookies and hard-reload the page (Ctrl-F5, in most cases).

AUTOMOME wrote:BLESS YOU, CUEBALL. BLUEBALL.
Link
418 I'm a teapot

Re: OH HAI, I DEMUSTARDED YOUR POPE

Postby HES » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:16 am UTC

AUTOMOME wrote:BLESS YOU, CUEBALL. BLUEBALL.

:azule: automome, you know not what you've done! Image
Image - Image - Image
H@ chirpingmustard
HES

Postby SBN » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:33 am UTC

HES wrote:I haven't even had organised sand for 16 years :shock:

Not sure if that makes you young, or me old.
My kids got their first one 20 years ago. It was on a little desk next to their dad's desk.

For decree:
Spoiler:
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

kalira,kr4, micdi, PayasYouDraw, svenman, preciousidiot, TieSoul, et al. GLRspeed blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!
SBN
Saved

Postby HES » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:42 am UTC

My dad probably had one - he worked in sand reorganisation at the time - but I didn't have access to anything until a couple of yips later.
Image - Image - Image
H@ chirpingmustard
HES

Postby balthasar_s » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:01 pm UTC

@410x290: Interesting, I didn't notice the 1189 before. I'll give the answer together with a picture which will be spoilerfree after frame 46.
I was wondering if I can make RIES output 41/29. I failed. But now I have RIES on my botcastle.

My first organised sand not shared with anyone else was in 2007.
(780/1370) (1691/2041). # 3 4 5 6 7
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
balthasar_s

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:20 pm UTC

My first private organised sand was probably when I went to the "HTS" (College? University? I don't know what the equivalent is. Engineering school) which was in 2001.
Deceased on NP 836. May he rest in pieces.
Gone to meet his Maker. Kicked the bucket. His metabolic processes are history, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile. This is an ex-Neil
Available in the Department of Post-mortem communications.
Neil_Boekend

Postby Sustainabilizer » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:15 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:@410x290: Interesting, I didn't notice the 1189 before.
But it fits. The DIN 476 formats (same as ISO 216/269) are designed such that the area of an A0 sheet of paper is 1m². So it makes sense to define the MOON True Format such that it has a RELATED area.

EDIT: GOING ONG
Sustainabilizer

Previous

Return to Individual XKCD Comic Threads