1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

SilentTimer

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby SilentTimer » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:33 pm UTC

Bumping the ONG …

Sustainabilizer wrote:S&S PRODUCTIONGS PRESENTS …
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Decree:
Speculate
about ONGoing stories (including BSTA)
and/or about completed stories (including the OTC)
and/or about SCIENCE.
Image Did you like 1190: Time?
Then you will like its sequel: t1i. [Discussion] [Making Of]
ucim wrote:I consider it to be canon.

503? Images don't work? Other mustard? Visit the ЯOЯЯIM!

Randalspeed to Rakhal, thunk, and all Blitzers!

Help addams!

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:46 pm UTC

As an Outside hobby, I built little electrical / electo-mechanical things. Two projects I'm currently working on are a augmented-reality display (think Google Glass, but more homemade and bulky), and a glove that reads the position of your fingers so you can play air guitar and actually make music.

ucim wrote:
addams wrote:Does that mean we are moving very Fast?
Or, the call of the Outside is strong. Hot day today. Good day to sit in the pool. But I played flight simulator. (I use it to keep my instrument skills sharp, or in this case, to knock some rust off of them).
Spoiler:
I should have done this last year but I needed to set up an old computer that had a joystick port and could run my old program, and all my old machines have something wrong with them. But I finally buckled down and got to work.

1: I couldn't find the old program to install. I have the empty box (I put all my computer disks in one place, but not that place, and I don't know where that place is any more.)

2: I got an old machine up and running, but discovered it didn't have a joystick port.

3: I couldn't find my joystick for quite a while. It wasn't where I thought it was, so I looked in all the other places, only to find that it was exactly where I thought it was, and I just didn't look hard enough. ("Hard enough" amounted to simply looking in the right direction and recognizing it. It was right there.)

4: The joystick didn't have a joystick output; it had a USB output. I could have done this on my present machine a long Tim ago.

5: My present machine dual boots Linux and Windows 8. Windows 8 is kind of broken (beyond the broken that it starts out as), but the more important issue is {see #1}.

6: Linux has a lot of free stuff. I wonder if it has an open source flight simulator. Of course it does. So I downloaded it, and though it took a bit of Tim to get used to, I'm using it now and it fits the bill. Newer versions are available; perhaps one of them will show vertical track too, but for now this is fine.
Spoiler:
So.... who do you trust more with a Mighty Engine - me, or First Cleric?

Jose

I'm assuming you mean FlightGear. My memories of it (albeit from four years ago) were waiting 15 minutes for everything to load, and then my plane driving around in circles on the ground because my joystick didn't have rudder pedals. And then trying to change something (starting runway maybe?) and it turned out you had to go edit configuration files.
I got halfway through writing my own flight simulator and then abandoned it due to schoolwork. Perhaps I should revisit it.

svenman wrote:One other thing I used to do before the dual time-grabbers called University (which has been replaced by a succession of FFSes) and the Internet entered my life: collecting and superdetailing car models in H0 (1/87) scale. In fact I still collect them, it's just the superdetailing of my acquisitions that has been put on hold indefinitely.

In the spoiler is what I regard as one of my best efforts in that field:
Spoiler:
For reference, the way it came from the manufacturer looked like this except for the different main body color.

That particular model is currently boxed up at my parents' place, but to demonstrate the size of those models, here on the palm of my hand is one I bought more recently which is in the same scale and has practically the same size:
(On the other hand - pun not intended, but certainly not avoided either -, over the years, the general level of detailing done by the manufacturers of this kind of models has become much more refined. The model on my hand has a lot of detailing like chrome strips, badges etc. done by the manufacturer that I had to paint on myself on the older model and others of its time.)

Neat! I used to scratchbuild HO models myself as well. I had a small train layout, but many of them never got added to it.
...I wanted to add some pictures from that, but they have disappeared into the digital past. Maybe they're on an SD card somewhere.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Revisited - np2253

Postby mscha » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:10 am UTC

LUNGE...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by Whizbang.)

Replay Time live here!

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:YOU RETRONINJASPOILER BY THE THWAPSTICK, YOU DIE BY THE THWAPSTICK

-- posted by oldpixbot

addams

Postby addams » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:05 pm UTC

I Love You, Time.
That and nothing more.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:39 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:I'm assuming you mean FlightGear.
Yes, that's the one. My distro has 3.x, but the latest seems to be 2018.x So, there must have been 2015 versions since then. :)

I have a twisty rudder on my yoke, so once I got used to it I was ok. But for my purposes I'd prefer that FG had an auto-coordinate option so I wouldn't have to deal with that. And maybe I ought to twerk up the dead zones. And I'd like to bring up the frame rate (I'm at 10), but none of the rendering options (Level Of Detail) seems to do anything. But I can live with it as is - it does what I need.

I don't mind editing config files, if only the documentation were better. This is a general issue I have with Linux - it's great once you know it, but the learning curve is unnecessarily steep.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:22 pm UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:38 pm UTC

addams wrote:Time has slowed way down for us.
Does that mean we are moving very Fast?

Fast, and in the wrong direction, it seems. Much busyness getting ready for adventures, and making sure the WFFS can survive without me for a time.

I'll be around the Great Lakes, but not yet known which side of them.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

addams

Postby addams » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:02 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
addams wrote:Time has slowed way down for us.
Does that mean we are moving very Fast?

Fast, and in the wrong direction, it seems. Much busyness getting ready for adventures, and making sure the WFFS can survive without me for a time.

I'll be around the Great Lakes, but not yet known which side of them.
Wear a life vest and take care of yourself.
You belong to Time.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Revisited - np2298

Postby mscha » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:10 pm UTC

RETAKUNGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by pelrigg.)

Replay Time live here!

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:♫ HEY, I JUST PUNSAWED YOU, AND THIS IS CRAZY / BUT HERE'S MY TRANSLATEOUNG, SO ENHANCE ME MAYBE ♫

-- posted by oldpixbot

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”