THE MADNESS GOES

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Radical_Initiator
Just Cool Enough for School

Re: THE MADNESS GOES

Postby Radical_Initiator » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:55 am UTC

Why not both? Have a Mod Madness 2013, Round 2, and like all good sequels, increase the number AND the inebriation of the mods.
I looked out across the river today …

Dopefish

Postby Dopefish » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:16 am UTC

Or you could randomly mod people during the event. We wouldn't ruin everything...

Or you could give us all enough alcohol that everything looks unreadable even without filters. That'd be cool.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:18 am UTC

I think you have the gifting going in the wrong direction.
In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
- Albert Schweitzer, philosopher, physician, musician, Nobel laureate (14 Jan 1875-1965)

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:22 am UTC

Dopefish wrote:Or you could randomly mod people during the event. We wouldn't ruin everything...

Or you could give us all enough alcohol that everything looks unreadable even without filters. That'd be cool.

Having only this mod madness looked in to what needs to be done to give titles (and by that I mean I think this is the first year I could)...

Do you realize how hard it is to do something without banning them and deleting everything they've done, ever?

Really hard. Really really hard.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Radical_Initiator

Postby Radical_Initiator » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:22 am UTC

Yeah, poxic may be right. Personally, I think the spirit of Mod Madness is satisfied as long as someone's getting drunk, something's getting wordfiltered, and someone's getting banned and/or titled. How and in which order these things happen is the will of Ra.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:58 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Dopefish wrote:Or you could randomly mod people during the event. We wouldn't ruin everything...

Having only this mod madness looked in to what needs to be done to give titles (and by that I mean I think this is the first year I could)...

Do you realize how hard it is to do something without banning them and deleting everything they've done, ever?

Really hard. Really really hard.

And yet it's only ever happened on accident, like...once-and-a-half.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:00 pm UTC

Fantastic Idea wrote:Yeah there's kinda fewer mods doing it every year so either we need more mods or I need to get more of them drunk.

Did someone say drunk? I can do that part.

...also, who are you?

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:07 pm UTC

A moderator that someone left in the fridge for way too long.

Label your shit, people.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:17 pm UTC

Thanks. Now I'm wondering how good those non-contact printers they use for labelling eggs would be at that task.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

Dopefish

Postby Dopefish » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:25 pm UTC

My time in the fridge was cool.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Re: THE RECKONING cometh

Postby Azrael » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:28 pm UTC

jules.LT wrote:I'm betting that the threads about March Madness had more posts than the whole rest of the forums, these last few days.

You know what's great? Data. Although they don't label the vertical axis, which is bullshit.

Traffic on the whole during this period is driven by ICT and the massive response to 1190: "Time". That traffic can be seen to taper off as Madness got into full gear, but remember that the Time thread was mostly exempted from the filters, and I doubt we'll see a significant increase over the next few days that could be correlated with their removal.

You don't really see a decrease except in N&A and SB, which is to be expected.

As for increases directly related to Mod Madness, the announcement thread really isn't long enough to cause a site-wide change. Especially not with the huge influx in ICT. You will notice a spike in FaiD, where the a large portion of the filter-related discussion took place.

I suppose the only real indicator would be last year's data, when we didn't have the major ICT disruption masking the Madness effect.

roband

Postby roband » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:33 pm UTC

But of course, that's not relevant because they're talking about the March Madness basketball thing...?

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:38 pm UTC

jules.LT wrote:Anyway, it's fun for a day or two but it gets old quickly.
I'm betting that the threads about March Madness had more posts than the whole rest of the forums, these last few days.
Are we done yet? :|

roband wrote:But of course, that's not relevant because they're talking about the March Madness basketball thing...?

Full context of the original quote does not suggest that they are talking about basketball. Especially given the astonishing dearth of NCAA related threads.

roband

Postby roband » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:41 pm UTC

Ah fair enough.

Radical_Initiator

Postby Radical_Initiator » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:42 pm UTC

Which surprises me a little. Did anyone mention the injury to Kevin Ware over the weekend? That was pretty terrible to watch; I can only imagine how much that hurt.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:44 pm UTC

Really? Of all the places (real and virtual) that are trying to make we watch and/or think about that, it was rather pleasant that this one wasn't. So please, take that delightful thought to the appropriate thread.

... which, as it looks, doesn't exist at all? Even better.

Radical_Initiator

Postby Radical_Initiator » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:48 pm UTC

Sorry.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:57 pm UTC

Azrael wrote:
jules.LT wrote:I'm betting that the threads about March Madness had more posts than the whole rest of the forums, these last few days.

You know what's great? Data. Although they don't label the vertical axis, which is bullshit.

Traffic on the whole during this period is driven by ICT and the massive response to 1190: "Time". That traffic can be seen to taper off as Madness got into full gear, but remember that the Time thread was mostly exempted from the filters, and I doubt we'll see a significant increase over the next few days that could be correlated with their removal.

You don't really see a decrease except in N&A and SB, which is to be expected.

As for increases directly related to Mod Madness, the announcement thread really isn't long enough to cause a site-wide change. Especially not with the huge influx in ICT. You will notice a spike in FaiD, where the a large portion of the filter-related discussion took place.

I suppose the only real indicator would be last year's data, when we didn't have the major ICT disruption masking the Madness effect.

There was also a drop in the academic section, including a few posts from new users that got lots of views (suggesting still-active readership from regular members) but no responses until the Madness ended.

Also, I'd've thought last year's PUA debacle resulted in a similar ICT spike.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:00 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:There was also a drop in the academic section...

Yup, although I haven't found any forums where the Madness drop was out of proportion with other dips during the last month.

gmalivuk wrote:Also, I'd've thought last year's PUA debacle resulted in a similar ICT spike.

http://simonsoftware.se/xkcd/stats.php? ... 7&time=all

Late March into early April last year were busy for the year, but not particularly noteworthy against the all time trend. And nowhere near what's been seen for Time.

Kethryes

Postby Kethryes » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:47 pm UTC

This year madness was pretty short, didn't it use to be longer, like 2 weeks? It barely lasted 5 days... :(

Well with the April 1st comic and That thing that keeps slipping into the future it was a bit troublesome (especially for the April 1st comic which required some serious investigation from the comunity)... but that is also what made it... interesting :lol:
J Thomas wrote:From the evidence I have seen it looks utterly foolish to think it's ridiculous to doubt you are right.

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:21 pm UTC

Whoa! So Time more than doubled the whole activity of the forum?

And it's still going up? No wonder I haven't been able to catch up (I'm being outpaced by about 10 pages daily.), and probably never will if Time goes on forever (as does time :shock: )

On topic: BTW, this thread is still messed up, as in, all the posts of the last page are marked new whenever someone posts, and unread posts from the last page are marked read whenever someone creates a new page, I probably was right when I said that was unrelated to MARCH RECKONING! :)
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

THANKS KARHELL!! :)

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:29 pm UTC

As has been previously mentioned, the unread posts confusion is a typical behavior for global announcements.

bentheimmigrant
Dotcor Good Poster

Postby bentheimmigrant » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:33 pm UTC

More odd is that I accessed it originally in General, but when I visit via ego search I seem to cycle through the subforums. I'm in Hardware now.
"Comment is free, but facts are sacred" - C.P. Scott

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:12 pm UTC

bentheimmigrant wrote:More odd is that I accessed it originally in General, but when I visit via ego search I seem to cycle through the subforums. I'm in Hardware now.

That is odd.

If I access this from the Board Index via view your posts, it consistently defaults to one of the semi-forgotton mod forums.

Global Announcements are weird.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:15 pm UTC

For me it consistently goes to the now-locked f=50 (which was our house subforum when I lived with Belial et al.), so if I want to reply I have to manually change to a different forum.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

jules.LT

Postby jules.LT » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:18 pm UTC

Azrael wrote:

You know what's great? Data.
I was kinda hoping for it :mrgreen:
You're right, it sucks that we don't have labels on the vertical axis. I'd have liked to see which sections are more significant (relatively inactive forums where 2 posts can make or break the trend should be ignored).
I would also have liked to be able to normalize for weekdays Vs weekends, but that might be asking a bit much :-P

What does the "Only writes" box do, btw?
Azrael wrote:Traffic on the whole during this period is driven by ICT and the massive response to 1190: "Time". That traffic can be seen to taper off as Madness got into full gear, but remember that the Time thread was mostly exempted from the filters, and I doubt we'll see a significant increase over the next few days that could be correlated with their removal.
The Time thread was exempt?? That changes everything! You have to exclude it from the data, then!
Bertrand Russell wrote:Not to be absolutely certain is, I think, one of the essential things in rationality.
Richard Feynman & many others wrote:Keep an open mind – but not so open that your brain falls out

jdc

Postby jdc » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:33 pm UTC

jules.LT wrote:
Azrael wrote:Traffic on the whole during this period is driven by ICT and the massive response to 1190: "Time". That traffic can be seen to taper off as Madness got into full gear, but remember that the Time thread was mostly exempted from the filters, and I doubt we'll see a significant increase over the next few days that could be correlated with their removal.
The Time thread was exempt?? That changes everything! You have to exclude it from the data, then!

Ah, but I think it's actually a bit more complicated than that. It was mostly exempt rather than wholly exempt. I think the filters were being used in That Thread the same as in other threads at first, then there was a change so the filters only applied to (I think) quoted text (and possibly subject lines?). So there was full madness to begin with, then partial madness until the reckoning was over.

I think.
Bumbling charlatan

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:45 pm UTC

jules.LT wrote:

... yes. That was sorta the point I was making.

operator[]

Postby operator[] » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:56 pm UTC

(I'm the author of that tool. It simply scrapes the "who is online" page once a hour, so it's nothing fancy.)

jules.LT wrote:
Azrael wrote:You know what's great? Data.
I was kinda hoping for it :mrgreen:
You're right, it sucks that we don't have labels on the vertical axis.
Aye. The reason for not including them is that the graphs don't measure a very sensible unit, but I can add a checkbox.

I'd have liked to see which sections are more significant (relatively inactive forums where 2 posts can make or break the trend should be ignored).
That's on the "forum" page.

I would also have liked to be able to normalize for weekdays Vs weekends, but that might be asking a bit much :-P
Yeah, I don't really have the time to add that.

What does the "Only writes" box do, btw?
It counts only users marked as "replying to message" or "composing new post" as contributing "activity", and excludes thread reads.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:03 pm UTC

operator[] wrote:Aye. The reason for not including them is that the graphs don't measure a very sensible unit, but I can add a checkbox.

First off, thank you for creating the tool. I had meant to credit your post in EtS, but was lame and forgot.

I don't particularly care about the units per se, but more about the overall magnitude. It'd be nice to be able to quantify the absolute changes of one forum against another, rather than comparing relative percent gains.

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:10 pm UTC

I like graphs.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

jules.LT

Postby jules.LT » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:10 am UTC

Thanks, operator ;-)
Bertrand Russell wrote:Not to be absolutely certain is, I think, one of the essential things in rationality.
Richard Feynman & many others wrote:Keep an open mind – but not so open that your brain falls out

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:29 pm UTC

Azrael wrote:http://simonsoftware.se/xkcd/stats.php?page=timeline&user=&forum=7&time=all
This link has left me to wonder what "User Activity" is and why mine is zero.

Also, what the "JIAHAIMWSN" forum is.EDIT: n/m, acronyms.

operator[]

Postby operator[] » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:30 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:This link has left me to wonder what "User Activity" is and why mine is zero.
It's something like how often you appear in the logs compared to the most commonly appearing user (Dark567, who has activity 1000). This includes data from back to 2010, so it's not anymore a very useful number. (The Timeline meaning of "activity" is slightly different.)

As for why yours is zero, I have absolutely no idea. I rebuilt the caches and now it's not.

CLD
be at least somewhat witty

Postby CLD » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:06 pm UTC

Is the Screech thread going to be re-renamed?
Spoiler:
Satea Murua
Episode 1 - Silent Square
Turn 2 taken - Uly, B, Rfuinbeg, Miryllastasia, Jalvier Chaussier, Shyl
Turn 2 waiting - Esteban Bernardo

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:06 pm UTC

At some point, I'm sure. It gets renamed occasionally.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Return to “General”