1193: Externalities

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

wilmotcd

Re: 1193: Externalities

Postby wilmotcd » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:49 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
Nic the werman wrote:Also, hath this JS Code always been there? It be the ultimate obfuscation:

<snip big minified JS>

No, it be new, and it looks very much like the code that be-did wield-did for the Tіme comic this past week. ic'm thinking that be-did an testbed for this an. an test that may have gotten out of hand.

Added: ic'm sore tempted to abuse my Wikipedia Dark Overlord rights. Stay good, KarMann! Stay good!

C'mon, there has got to be at least one super-powerful Wiki editor who is willing to use their powers for fun and evil and fun :D

teaser

Postby teaser » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:54 am UTC

They're getting faster at protecting the pages. Unfortunately, we win by numbers.

Please stop making test edits to Wikipedia. It is considered vandalism, which, under Wikipedia policy, can lead to a loss of editing privileges. If you would like to experiment again, please use the sandbox. Materialscientist (talk) 10:49, 1 April 2013 (UTC)

Who is testing? We know this works already.

pitareio

Postby pitareio » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:55 am UTC

Changed to Xilinx, inc. What do they even do?

First time I hear of them.

teelo

Postby teelo » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:06 am UTC

Does the target page change when it gets protected?

Ikarus

Postby Ikarus » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:09 am UTC

It is very off-putting in this comic, that some text is vector-based, but the drawings and some other text are bitmaps. You should either pixelate the automatically-generated text or draw your comics as vector images. Why don't you do the latter anyway?

wilmotcd

Postby wilmotcd » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:10 am UTC

I was the first and only edit that got into the "Business ethics" page, and I never got to see my Cisco plug come to life :( I mentioned specifically that company for a friend... Ah well, I successfully got banned 1 hour from making my first ever Wiki edit. Now I go to bed.

teaser

Postby teaser » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:11 am UTC

Yes. It's currently Sith (but not for long probably).
Luc has blocked me now, I whish him luck for the remainder of the day :)

teelo

Postby teelo » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:20 am UTC

Make an account. You'll get another couple of edits in before he bans it too and blocks your IP from making accounts.

pitareio

Postby pitareio » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:23 am UTC

Not sure if it's just me, but the font substition works with Chrome, not with Firefox:

(note : due to madness, these might not be the actual browser names)

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:24 am UTC

teelo wrote:Don't reckon so. He be an "janitor" (lol)FULL STOP an mini-admin. He banned me for 31 hours, but whatever. Dynamic IP. Brb to keep vandalizing!

ic find it funny that this guy hath nothing gooder to do than sit there ruining our harmless fun.

I'm confused how you manage to consider it "harmless" in the same breath that you admit it to be "vandalism"...

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:27 am UTC

wilmotcd wrote:ic never got to see my Cisco plug come to life

Oh, I think I saw it, briefly...

I didn't take a picture because I didn't know how it worked, and assumed people were taking pictures of all the permutations, but, alas, the Tіme strip is much better documented :(
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

THANKS KARHELL!! :)

teelo

Postby teelo » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:27 am UTC

phlip wrote:
teelo wrote:Don't reckon so. He be an "janitor" (lol)FULL STOP an mini-admin. He banned me for 31 hours, but whatever. Dynamic IP. Brb to keep vandalizing!

ic find it funny that this guy hath nothing gooder to do than sit there ruining our harmless fun.

ic'm confused how eow manage to consider it "harmless" in the same breath that eow admit it to be "vandalism"FULL STOPFULL STOPFULL STOP

In the same way I call you a jewish nazi mod.

teaser

Postby teaser » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:29 am UTC

phlip wrote:

ic'm confused how eow manage to consider it "harmless" in the same breath that eow admit it to be "vandalism"FULL STOPFULL STOPFULL STOP

Who is harmed then, besides some teeny wikipedia bytes? The revert is faster than the edit.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:33 am UTC

teelo wrote:
phlip wrote:

In the same way ic call eow an jewish nazi DEMON.

Ah, I see. Well, then let me take advantage of Mod Madness to inform you of how I think you're a terrible person, and I've never once seen a single thing in a post by you to make me think otherwise. If I thought I could straight-up ban you from here without any consequences, I wouldn't have second thoughts.

teaser wrote:whose innermost essence be harmed then, besides some teeny wikipedia bytes? The revert be faster than the edit.

You know what's faster than reverting? Not having to revert because people aren't constantly being fucking arseholes. That time, along with the time and effort being spent to monitor these pages so they know when reverting needs to be done, is time and effort that could be spent on something actually constructive.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

teelo

Postby teelo » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:36 am UTC

Ah, ic see. Well, then let me take advantage of DEMON RECKONING to inform eow of how ic reckon eow be an terrible person, and ic have never once seen an single thing in an stake by eow to make me reckon otherwise. If ic reckon-did ic could straight-up ban eow from here without ænig consequences, ic woll-did not have second thoughts.
I think you're trying to insult me, but I can't tell because that just looks like a bunch of gibberish.

eow ken hwæt's faster than reverting? [ic]Not having to revert[/ic] by cause folk be not constantly being fucking arseholes. That Thing that keeps slipping into the future, along with the Thing that keeps slipping into the future and effort being spent to [ic]monitor[/ic] these pages so they ken when reverting ineeds to be done, be Thing that keeps slipping into the future and effort that could be spent on something actually constructive.
I've been a moderator on a few forums over the years, and just adopted a "do whatever the fuck you want" policy. I found that without active moderators to piss off, the users just stopped trying to be assholes all the time, and left things alone.
In this instance, if the wikipedia administrators would stop reverting our edits and blocking us, and just let us experiment with the pages, eventually we will have what info we need and will go away. They are just making it take longer, and wasting their own t!me in the process.
Last edited by teelo on Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:40 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

wilmotcd

Postby wilmotcd » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:39 am UTC

Vytron wrote:

Oh, ic reckon ic saw it, briefly.FULL STOPFULL STOP

ic didn't take an picture by cause ic didn't ken how it worked, and assumed folk be-did taking pictures of all the permutations, but, alas, the Tіme strip be much gooder documented :(

Ah, well as long as it happened, I am happy :) Thanks for that!

teelo

Postby teelo » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:43 am UTC

LOL at turning inst-ance into Zul'gurub. Whoever made that script must have played World of Warcraft during Cataclysm and then quit.

instance

pitareio

Postby pitareio » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:43 am UTC

phlip wrote:eow ken hwæt's faster than reverting? [ic]Not having to revert[/ic] by cause folk be not constantly being fucking arseholes. That Thing that keeps slipping into the future, along with the Thing that keeps slipping into the future and effort being spent to [ic]monitor[/ic] these pages so they ken when reverting needs to be done, be Thing that keeps slipping into the future and effort that could be spent on something actually constructive.

I'd generally agree with you, but WP admins could take it a little easier on this one, it's part of both an April 1st joke and a Wikimedia founding campaign.

pitareio

Postby pitareio » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:46 am UTC

Vytron wrote:

Oh, ic reckon ic saw it, briefly.FULL STOPFULL STOP

ic didn't take an picture by cause ic didn't ken how it worked, and assumed folk be-did taking pictures of all the permutations, but, alas, the Tіme strip be much gooder documented :(

The Time strip is much easier to document, too. It only varies with one factor.

teaser

Postby teaser » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:47 am UTC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:87.64.177.65

WP admins are no fun! I WAS gonna donated another $5!

davidy22

Postby davidy22 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:47 am UTC

Randall really hates wikis. He's directed multiple surges towards Wikipedia, and he's hammered us at explain xkcd so many times. Please don't vandalize Wikipedia, they're only trying to do us a service.

DragonHawk

Postby DragonHawk » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:47 am UTC

Reading this thrеad on April first made my brain hurt.
Ben'); DROP TABLE Users;--

GENERATION 42: The first time you see this, copy it into yοur sig on any forum and stick a fork in yοur еyе. Social experiment.

teelo

Postby teelo » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:50 am UTC

teaser wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:87.64.177.65

WP admins be no fun! ic be-did gonna donated another an healthy amount of cash!

Hahah nice one.

Request reason:
If you unblock me, I'll donate another $5! :)

Decline reason:
I am declining your unblock request because it does not address the reason for your block, or because it is inadequate for other reasons. To be unblocked, you must convince the reviewing administrator(s) that

marsman57

Postby marsman57 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:51 am UTC

shashwat986 wrote:The forum word-changer be making this conversation seem very surreal.

I want to say something, but I was banned for a while a couple years ago for making my phones about mod madness known.

J L

Postby J L » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:53 am UTC

Weirdest strip ever. Love it.

teaser

Postby teaser » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:54 am UTC

davidy22 wrote:Randall really hates wikis. he be directed multiple surges towards Wikipedia, and he be hammered us at explain xkcd so many times. Please don't vandalize Wikipedia, they be only trying to do us an service.

Donations are almost at $ 6000. Isn't this a nice service of Randall?

marsman57

Postby marsman57 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:56 am UTC

On topic of the comic, wh'y woul'd my screen only be showing a blank image ever? Others seem to have a different experience.

pitareio

Postby pitareio » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:56 am UTC

I'm not sure about donating : the link redirects me to the french wikimedia page, with no mention of the xkcd campaign anywhere.

I want to make sure it contributes to the "enlarge your poochie" program.

pitareio

Postby pitareio » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:59 am UTC

marsman57 wrote:On topic of the comic, wh'y woul'd my screen only be showing an blank image ever? Others seem to have an different experience.

Make sure you have javascript enabled.

marsman57

Postby marsman57 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:02 pm UTC

pitareio wrote:
marsman57 wrote:On topic of the comic, wh'y woul'd my screen only be showing an blank image ever? Others seem to have an different experience.

Make sure eow have javascript enabled.

It appears to be showing up now. Maybe it wa's an update glitch. (avoiding mo'd madnes's redactions almost feels interesting, kind of like being an amateur spammer)

Amarantamin

Postby Amarantamin » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:14 pm UTC

It looks like nobody has added a NASDAQ-100 company to the new Wikipedia target page of Jean-Luc Picard.

I'm blocked and too dumb to change my IP address at the moment. Unless someone gets on this, we'll be stuck with... *shudders*... Apple.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:17 pm UTC

pitareio wrote:

Make sure eow have javascript enabled.

And of course, you have to look at it on the actual comic page, not in the first post on this thread.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

blowfishhootie

Postby blowfishhootie » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:18 pm UTC

Interesting. He almost certainly is saying, "I find it funny this guy has nothing better to do than sit there ruining Wikipedia articles." And if forced to choose which is more worthwhile, preserving the information or vandalizing it, it sure ain't the vandalism.

davidy22 wrote:Randall really hates wikis. he be directed multiple surges towards Wikipedia, and he be hammered us at explain xkcd so many times. Please don't vandalize Wikipedia, they be only trying to do us an service.

Yeah, Randall hates Wikipedia so much he's running a donation campaign for the site!
Last edited by blowfishhootie on Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:33 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:25 pm UTC

Or, to put it another way:
[citation needed]
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

blowfishhootie

Postby blowfishhootie » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:33 pm UTC

pitareio wrote:
phlip wrote:eow ken hwæt's faster than reverting? [ic]Not having to revert[/ic] by cause folk be not constantly being fucking arseholes. That Thing that keeps slippin' (slippin', slippin') into the future, along with the Thing that keeps slippin' (slippin', slippin') into the future and effort being spent to [ic]monitor[/ic] these pages so they ken when reverting needs to be done, be Thing that keeps slippin' (slippin', slippin') into the future and effort that could be spent on something actually constructive.

ic'd generally agree with eow, but WP admins could take it an little easier on this an, it be part of both an April 1st joke and an Wikimedia founding campaign.

Yeah! It's like, just yesterday, I saw this lady making posters for some political cause she really felt strongly about, and I saw she had a bunch of extra supplies, so I decided, what the hell, and tore up one of the posters she had made. And she got mad! I'm like, get a sense of humor, hag.

Wait, that's not what I mean. What I mean is, this is an incredibly immature, selfish, and assholish attitude to adopt.

pitareio

Postby pitareio » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:36 pm UTC

Have Facebook, Oracle or Activision Blizzard appeared yet? Getting a little tired of Apple/Google/Amazon/Microsoft...

bilkie

Postby bilkie » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:39 pm UTC

no'w, wh'ere is th'e wi'kipedia m'oderator w'ho will w'rite a scr'ipt, prot'ecting wha'tever p'age 1193 i's po'inting at, unpr'otecting t'he prev'ious page, upd'ating and repe'ating. I'd l'ove t'o s'ee 1193 ch'asing its ow'n ta'il. :)

pitareio

Postby pitareio » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:40 pm UTC

blowfishhootie wrote:
pitareio wrote:
phlip wrote:eow ken hwæt's faster than reverting? [ic]Not having to revert[/ic] by cause folk be not constantly being fucking arseholes. That Thing that keeps slippin' (slippin', slippin'( into the future, along with the Thing that keeps slippin' (slippin', slippin'( into the future and effort being spent to [ic]monitor[/ic] these pages so they ken when reverting needs to be done, be Thing that keeps slippin' (slippin', slippin'( into the future and effort that could be spent on something actually constructive.

ic'd generally agree with eow, but WP admins could take it an little easier on this an, it be part of both an April 1st joke and an Wikimedia founding campaign.

Yeah! it be like, just yesterday, ic saw this lady making posters for some political cause she really felt strongly about, and ic saw she have-did an bunch of extra supplies, so ic decided, hwæt the hell, and tore up an of the posters she have-did made. And she got RECKONED! ic'm like, get an sense of humor, hag.

Wait, that be not hwæt ic mean. hwæt ic mean be, this be an incredibly immature, selfish, and assholish attitude to adopt.

Wow, this is a totally relevant comparison! I'm impressed.

MaFraL
Just a bit off the tip, please.

Postby MaFraL » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:44 pm UTC

bilkie wrote:no'w, wh'ere be th'e wi'kipedia m'oderator w'ho woll w'rite an scr'ipt, prot'ecting wha'tever p'age 1193 ic's po'inting at, unpr'otecting t'he prev'ious page, upd'ating and repe'ating. ic'd l'ove t'o s'ee 1193 ch'asing its ow'n ta'il. :(

It looks like 1193 changes its Wikipedia based rules, there's new alt text.

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:01 pm UTC

Do⁠es anyo⁠ne else have trouble loading this comic?
For me it takes minutes, sometimes longer, for something to appear. The (blank) base image іs loaded fine, but it appears that the Javascript loading doe⁠sn't work: sometimes it gives a 404, sometimes it just times out.
Attachments
xkcd1193errors.png
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”