1196: "Subways"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

MrStoneman

Re: 1196: "Subways"

Postby MrStoneman » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:55 am UTC

Of course, what I really want to know is why the Ohio-California tunnel connects LA and Chicago.

I guess that could be a subtle dig comparing Englewood to Cleveland, though?

ToffeeTree

Postby ToffeeTree » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:56 am UTC

Created an account to say: Calgary doesn't get a mention? The C-Train predates the Vancouver system, and while it's not as extensive as some of the other systems, it appears to meet the criteria: the trains run frequently and part of its downtown route is underground or elevated.

areimer

Postby areimer » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:55 am UTC

Hi guys!
Thanks for the comic to Randall! Here is a photograph of the participants on a seminar that deals heavily with metro maps and the like. The author of "underground maps unraveled" is holding up his book on the subject.

postimg DOT org/image/7i1bkd407/

(asymptotically speaking) Everybody here is a fan, all the best!

Andreas

amorya

Postby amorya » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:04 pm UTC

From the description for the poster:

This is a 24"x36" poster of comic #1196, a completely hand-drawn map of every subway system in North America­combined. The lines are linked up by color, so you can take the green and blue lines from Chicago to San Francisco, or catch the transcontinental shuttle bus to Los Angeles (service every 15 minutes).

Jack21222

Postby Jack21222 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:19 pm UTC

jenmoa wrote:
Jack21222 wrote:The map is missing the E branch of the Boston Green line, to Heath St. It has the B, C and D branches to Boston College, Cleveland Circle, and Riverside respectively, but not the E branch.

The E branch is there, it just isn't labeled because on this map it runs into New York. You can see where it breaks away from the other green line branches at Copley.

This comic made me absurdly happy.

Indeed there is! For some reason, I didn't make the connection. I only wish my E branch green line went to NYC. That would be awesome. I live 1 block from a stop.
broken_escalator wrote:The Mako is powered by the rage of the physics it denies.

Reka

Postby Reka » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:30 pm UTC

I love this part:
Covertly-repurposed Amtrak line

(It's quite true: Philly's R5 line from Center City through the Main Line and out to Thorndale runs on Amtrak's tracks.)

CharlieBing

Postby CharlieBing » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:42 pm UTC

I wandered through this thread and didn't see this wonderful global homage to Harry Beck that was the cover to a book about subway maps... wonderful stuff.

zaphodbeebledoc

Postby zaphodbeebledoc » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:25 pm UTC

I've heard of a square circle, but never a tadpole circle

The current London Tube Map.
bouer wrote:I wonder if we can get XKCD tax-exempt status?

GodRaimundo wrote:A weekapix just makes me hungry.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:39 pm UTC

Someone should make a map showing every Subway™ in America and the routes connecting them.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

DaBozz88

Postby DaBozz88 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:32 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:Someone should make a map showing every Subway™ in America and the routes connecting them.

Google Maps could fairly easily do this.

Also, I travel from NY to Philly by rail a lot, and I'm upset about how they're linked.

senor_cardgage

Postby senor_cardgage » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:08 am UTC

CharlieBing wrote:I wandered through this thread and didn't see this wonderful global homage to Harry Beck that was the cover to a book about subway maps... wonderful stuff.

Dude got Chicago and Minneapolis switched. That calls into question the legitimacy of the entire map.

speising

Postby speising » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:40 am UTC

senor_cardgage wrote:
CharlieBing wrote:I wandered through this thread and didn't see this wonderful global homage to Harry Beck that was the cover to a book about subway maps... wonderful stuff.

Dude got Chicago and Minneapolis switched. That calls into question the legitimacy of the entire map.

and why is vienna east of budapest?

CharlieBing

Postby CharlieBing » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:44 pm UTC

senor_cardgage wrote:
CharlieBing wrote:
I wandered through this thread and didn't see this wonderful global homage to Harry Beck that was the cover to a book about subway maps... wonderful stuff.

Yeah, and Melbourne looks like it moved to Adelaide, and so on, and so on... and as it turns out, the designer got some things wrong, especially when locating stations on a single line. But the success of Beck's map was that it ignored the surface geography and presented the traveller with the underground topology, which is all s/he needs: going back to the global map, just as long as when you get off at Dubai station (regardless of where it is on the map) you actually find yourself in Dubai, then it's all good. :-)

speising

Postby speising » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:36 pm UTC

CharlieBing wrote:
senor_cardgage wrote:
CharlieBing wrote:

Yeah, and Melbourne looks like it moved to Adelaide, and so on, and so on... and as it turns out, the designer got some things wrong, especially when locating stations on a single line. But the success of Beck's map was that it ignored the surface geography and presented the traveller with the underground topology, which is all s/he needs: going back to the global map, just as long as when you get off at Dubai station (regardless of where it is on the map) you actually find yourself in Dubai, then it's all good. :-)

but when you want to travel from italy to austria, you should not wait until you've passed romania...

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:43 am UTC

speising wrote:but when you want to travel from italy to austria, you should not wait until you've passed romania...

Scenic route.

And WOOO!!! Harry Beck. WOOOO!!!!!!!!
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

neremanth

Postby neremanth » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:51 pm UTC

zaphodbeebledoc wrote:I've heard of a square circle, but never a tadpole circle

The current London Tube Map.

That annoys me so so much. I mean, the innaccuracy of the name probably annoys me even more than the fact that now you have to negotiate stairs in both directions if you're travelling between Paddington and Euston or King's cross with a wheely case and don't want to change trains. Which itself annoys me considerably.

frotty

Postby frotty » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:28 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Also, LOL at people who apparently don't understand that this *comic*, like so many others, is a joke.

Could you please explain the joke to me? I don't see it, I do see one of his interesting info-graphics. But I too noticed that it was incomplete and that there are other subway lines that would work. Not interested in trains or anything like that. Is the joke an incomplete poorly executed infographic? Or that someone might be irritated by the infographic due to its (intentional or not, execution and assertions?) I'm honestly asking!

I did learn an expanded definition of the term subway - I've spent my entire life assuming it meant a portion of a train line that goes underground, and not:
"a network containing high capacity grade-separated passenger rail transit lines which run frequently, serve an urban core, and are underground or elevated for at least part of their downtown route."

I fail to see how that definition actually serves as a distinguisher... doesn't it make all trains a subway? If one part of a network has a subway on it does it make the entire network a subway? Is the joke supposed to be that I don't understand this?

Just curious, because living in Chicago 36 years I would never refer to the trains that remain elevated their entire route aside from short stints at ground level a "subway." That seems bizarre to me! Maybe it's right, but I think anyone asserting an above ground train is a subway is goofy! tut tut!

subway: underground
elevated: aboveground
rail system: subway, elevated + ground level trains
bus system: busses! in systems!
transit system: bus lines + train lines

Wikipedia:
Subway: An underground rapid transit rail system (mainly US usage)

CharonPDX

Postby CharonPDX » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:21 pm UTC

plattypus1 wrote:I was delighted to see that XKCD made this map-- for two seconds, and then I saw that it was done wrong. First off, the definition's really weird-- XKCD includes all rail lines that are part of a network for which at least one line has an underground segment in the city's central core.

And here I was going to argue for Portland, OR's "MAX" system - which has one line that runs one stretch underground. :mrgreen:

Specifically, the Blue line and Red line run through the core of Portland's downtown (on the same tracks,) then as they leave downtown enter Portland's West Hills. They stop in the middle at the Oregon Zoo/Washington Park station, which is the deepest rail stop in North America (260 feet from station to surface!) But this is the only station underground. The rest of both lines, along with the other two lines, and the connected-related "WES" commuter rail, are above-ground. (The vast majority of the system is grade-separated, but there are a few short locations where there is traffic sharing - however the traffic sharing is *ONLY* with same-system buses, not with general traffic.)

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:02 pm UTC

frotty wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:Also, LOL at people who apparently don't understand that this *comic*, like so many others, is a joke.
Could you please explain the joke to me? I don't see it

Those cities aren't actually connected to each other. The connections themselves (e. g. a submarine to Puerto Rico) are wherein lies the joke.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:18 pm UTC

Ekaros wrote:I would love to see this for Europe, including Europe side of Russia...

Me too. I like the London loop map especially, but some of the others are nice too.

Edit: by the way, I always liked that London (and New York) have subway lines that run on the surface or even above ground; Chicago has Elevated Trains that go underground....
Last edited by bmonk on Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:41 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:28 pm UTC

BuddyBoombox wrote:Heh, so according to the rollover text, I'm just going to assume every time I get on a subway, I have abut a %33 chance of ending up in NY.

Especially if they manage to connect them as described in "A Subway Named Mobius" by A. J. Deutsch (1950)
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

montrealais

Postby montrealais » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:57 am UTC

frotty wrote:I did learn an expanded definition of the term subway - I've spent my entire life assuming it meant a portion of a train line that goes underground, and not:
"a network containing high capacity grade-separated passenger rail transit lines which run frequently, serve an urban core, and are underground or elevated for at least part of their downtown route."

I fail to see how that definition actually serves as a distinguisher... doesn't it make all trains a subway? If one part of a network has a subway on it does it make the entire network a subway?

Like several writers I prefer that as the definition of "metro," as a general term including underground, elevated, and at-grade systems of that kind, since "subway" does suggest an underground system; however, I should point out that most systems calling themselves "subway," including New York and Toronto, include elevated or at-grade portions. In Toronto, for example, everyone refers to, say, Victoria Park station as "a subway station" even though it's above ground (in fact elevated).

This definition refers to the system's functional, not structural, characteristics; in terms of the service you receive, it doesn't matter very much whether the trackage itself is underground or elevated or a combination. It serves to distinguish subway/metro systems from, for example, streetcars (which are not grade-separated and do not have as high a capacity) or commuter trains (which generally do not run as frequently as subways and serve areas well away from the urban core).

Conversely, there are many train lines that run underground that are certainly not "subways." In Montreal, the Deux-Montagnes commuter train line runs in a tunnel for the last 5 km of its route into downtown, but it's still a commuter train, not a subway.

joe_g_wv

Postby joe_g_wv » Sun May 12, 2013 4:43 pm UTC

I attended WVU and was happy to see the Personal Rapid Transit system on here.

Conspicuously absent is the U.S. Capitol Subway System, now fully automated

But my favorite piece of trivia (tragically not on this infographic) is that there's a BRT Green Line station reconstructed inside the repurposed Memorial Tunnel in Southern WV

danix

Postby danix » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:56 pm UTC

Heh, awesome! Randall didn't just manage to put in the Mexico City subway system right, he put in the updated map showing newly-opened line 12 (it's the one that goes from Mixcoac to Tlahuac). According to this, I should be able to get on Line 7 and go ... all the way to Atlanta :shock: , line B to Miami, line 8 to Philly or simply line 5 for a Capital-to-Capital ride from Mexico City's airport to Washington DC :D

Heh, as someone else noted, Guadalajara seems to be missing. Though I know why that might be the case: there's no such thing as a Guadalajara metro. They dug the subway tunnels, and when they were finishing everything, ready to put in the trains... they found out they didn't fit in the tunnels. Thus, they downgraded the whole thing into a "light rail" system. :mrgreen:

TortoiseWrath

Postby TortoiseWrath » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:20 am UTC

WanderingLinguist wrote:Yep, the subway system [in Seoul] is MASSIVE.

O RLY?

WanderingLinguist

Postby WanderingLinguist » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:59 pm UTC

TortoiseWrath wrote:
WanderingLinguist wrote:Yep, the subway system [in Seoul] is MASSIVE.

O RLY?

Tokyo Metro has 179 stations. Seoul Metropolitan Subway has 607. Even if you count the JR stations along with Tokyo Metro, it's still not as many. By length, the Seoul subway system is the biggest in the world. By number of stations, it's number two. And there are many more lines under active construction (several new stations opened in just the last few months).

It's kind of silly to compare the two systems as they are structured quite differently (and anyway, who really cares?) But I think the Seoul subway system definitely qualifies as massive.

Keep in mind that something close to half the population of the country lives in the Seoul metropolitan area.

Now, if you talking about which subway system is more confusing, I think Tokyo wins hands down :wink:

randomperson4000

Postby randomperson4000 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:35 pm UTC

Actually, the San Francisco part is less thought of as underground but as overground. They're referring to BART, of course.

Crissa

Postby Crissa » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:00 pm UTC

CharonPDX wrote:(The vast majority of the system is grade-separated, but there are a few short locations where there is traffic sharing - however the traffic sharing is *ONLY* with same-system buses, not with general traffic.)
That's not true! On the bridges, such as the Broadway, the lane sharing includes general traffic. (I just drove on it recently.)

The rest of the space is shared where the trains cross roads, which isn't much of a big deal with the way they laid out the trains. Which is pretty cool.

They do have one street car that lane shared along its entire path, but it's slightly smaller and does not share rail with the other trains.

-Crissa

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”