1213: "Combination Vision Test"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

boothby171

Re: 1213: "Combination Vision"

Postby boothby171 » Fri May 17, 2013 4:19 pm UTC

If I cross my eyes just right, I can see the Statue of Liberty in 3D!

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Fri May 17, 2013 4:46 pm UTC

dp2 wrote:
Spoiler:
I was skeptical that everyone here claiming to have synesthesia were telling the truth and/or understood what it is. But Wikipedia says it's as many as 1 in 20 (though only 1 in 90 have the color grapheme variety, which is what this comic refers to).

NoMouse wrote:I have some sort of synesthesia but as others have said, for me it's just an association, I can't see the color really. I just imagine colored numbers in my head (and there's no way I could imagine this whole image, it works rather with individual numbers). Also my number (and letter) -> color association is not nearly as strong as weekdays -> color association. It always feels so wrong when someone uses different colors for weekdays (I have also just realized that it doesn't matter whether the weekdays are written in English or in my native language).

See, I do that to a degree also, but that's not synesthesia. Our senses aren't activated by the stimulus, it's just a mental association.

Well, I don't really know. I first heard about synesthesia around a year ago. But the Wikipedia article also says this:
Wikipedia wrote:Some grapheme → color synesthetes report that the colors seem to be "projected" out into the world (called "projectors"), while most report that the colors are experienced in their "mind's eye" (called "associators").[26] It is estimated that approximately one or two per hundred grapheme-color synesthetes are projectors; the rest are associators.[26]

So I think you're talking about "projectors" (and only projectors are able to see the hidden numbers in the comic), while the "associators" is what I'm referring to. Associators are probably very common, I would guess it's even more than 1 in 20, people just don't know it's something that not everyone has (a year ago, I didn't know that either). But I'm not an expert, maybe I'm wrong.

I also don't know, if it's uncommon when I immediately and automatically see numbers on my mental number line (also letters in alphabet, years, months, days, hours have their own number lines). Is that what everyone does or not? I always thought it's really what everyone else imagine1 but the Wikipedia mentions "Number form", so I'm a little bit confused. My number line (well, it's more like a strip or ribbon in space) just goes from left to right, although there are some slopes, there are color transitions, bigger numbers are darker, higher and farther away on the right (but I can pan and zoom to them) and it always looks the same. It's also interesting that it apparently uses logarithmic scale (distance between 10 and 100 is the same as between 100 and 1000 and so on) and negative numbers almost don't exist, only when mentioned, they appear almost black (the background is black too). Number lines for months, days and so are of course periodic and they are always zoomed to current time. So is that a "mental number line that we all have" or is it considered a "number form"?

1 I can't really imagine other way of imagining numbers or years than imagining them on a number line. If I try to imagine number without the number line (which is actually quite hard), it has no meaning for me2.
2 Except 42. 42 has always it's own non-mathematical meaning. :mrgreen:
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

WriteBrainedJR

Postby WriteBrainedJR » Fri May 17, 2013 5:00 pm UTC

NoMouse wrote:I also don't know, if it's uncommon when I immediately and automatically see numbers on my mental number line (also letters in alphabet, years, months, days, hours have their own number lines). Is that what everyone does or not?

I do not see anything in association with numbers. I do immediately associate numbers with athletes who wore those numbers on their uniforms (unless it's a useless number that nobody I like has worn, and that I never wore either. Those numbers disappear from my head sooner than they enter.).

straight

Postby straight » Fri May 17, 2013 5:28 pm UTC

I see one very large number with about 500 digits, but I'm not sure which is the first digit and which is the last, or what is the order of the intervening digits.

JBantha

Postby JBantha » Fri May 17, 2013 6:01 pm UTC

I see a very accurate map of Moon's gravitational variance on the eastern hemisphere based on 2006 observations.

I'm also lying. :twisted:

maxxxy

Postby maxxxy » Fri May 17, 2013 6:22 pm UTC

Well... I was going to say I saw a duckie and a horsie, but I changed my mind.

Tide

Postby Tide » Fri May 17, 2013 7:00 pm UTC

NoMouse wrote:
I also don't know, if it's uncommon when I immediately and automatically see numbers on my mental number line (also letters in alphabet, years, months, days, hours have their own number lines). Is that what everyone does or not? I always thought it's really what everyone else imagine1 but the Wikipedia mentions "Number form", so I'm a little bit confused. My number line (well, it's more like a strip or ribbon in space) just goes from left to right, although there are some slopes, there are color transitions, bigger numbers are darker, higher and farther away on the right (but I can pan and zoom to them) and it always looks the same. It's also interesting that it apparently uses logarithmic scale (distance between 10 and 100 is the same as between 100 and 1000 and so on) and negative numbers almost don't exist, only when mentioned, they appear almost black (the background is black too). Number lines for months, days and so are of course periodic and they are always zoomed to current time. So is that a "mental number line that we all have" or is it considered a "number form"?

1 I can't really imagine other way of imagining numbers or years than imagining them on a number line. If I try to imagine number without the number line (which is actually quite hard), it has no meaning for me2.
2 Except 42. 42 has always it's own non-mathematical meaning. :mrgreen:

Well, at least I see it in that way. Though mine is a bit different. It mostly goes upwards, and a little to the right at the same time, with all kind of slopes and turns. For example, it goes pretty straight upwards until twenty where it turns to only go in the left direction. Then at 100 it goes straight upwards again and then continues to change directon at various "important" numbers. Somewhere around 40 million or so it's get all blurry and diffuse, even if I try to "zoom" in or out. Today was the first day I really gave the negative numbers a thought, and I realized that they seem to be behind me in some weird way. So while "the ribbon" is just as clear as for the positive ones, it's behins my back and difficult to really look at. Also, it gets blurry as early as around -20 or something.

I also have colours for numbers, words, weekdays and so on. Today when I saw this comic I tried to write the colours of the numbers down, but it's very difficult. For example, both 2 and 6 are yellow, but the colour of 2 is very strong, deep and powerful (reminds me a lot of the colour of the word "algebra", by the way) while the colour of 6 is bright and annoying.Thinking of it, I think I also put a lot of other properties into the colours. 9, as a deep purple number, is very elegant, just like red, which is deep red.
I've always thought this is something everyone can "see" (and I still think a lot of people can), but at least I'm happy I do it. It's really helpful at times, for memorizing or writing. If I see a word for the first time, say that I'd never heard of the word "silence" before, and someone tells me it means "tystnad" in Swedish. Then the colour of "tystnad", which is light blue-grey will sort of rub off on to "silence" and they'll get the same colour. This is pretty awesome, since it means when I have words in foreign languages to learn as homework, I rarely need to read them more than once to remember - the rest is mostly to get the spelling right, if it didn't stick.

On the other hand it can work the other way around, when two things have the same colour but isn't the same. Generally I do good when it comes to maths, but I just keep copying equations and such things down the wrong way, or failing at easy calculations. This really, really sucks when you've solved a difficult problem only to get the wrong answer due to randomly replacing 4 with y, because hey, they're both red!

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Fri May 17, 2013 7:03 pm UTC

Jebobek wrote:The distant 2 that is not quite positioned for a decimal is there to diagnose obsessive compulsive disorder by driving them insane so much that they complain on the fora and out themselves. :twisted:

My thoughts exactly.
The reason I now see there's a 2 is because some people started bitching about discussing it.

Also I see an opportunity to merge posts:

San Fran Sam wrote:I see England. I see France. I see Susie's....
cellocgw wrote:boobies.

Sir Dancelot

Postby Sir Dancelot » Fri May 17, 2013 7:04 pm UTC

If I rotate the image just right I see Jesus.

18chai

Postby 18chai » Fri May 17, 2013 7:23 pm UTC

I have neither synesthesia nor color-blindness, yet I saw 42 after about 30 seconds of just looking for a general shape in the numbers. Do I win a prize?

vjg

Postby vjg » Fri May 17, 2013 7:25 pm UTC

I see dead people.

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Fri May 17, 2013 7:55 pm UTC

Tide wrote:Today was the first day I really gave the negative numbers a thought, and I realized that they seem to be behind me in some weird way. So while "the ribbon" is just as clear as for the positive ones, it's behins my back and difficult to really look at. Also, it gets blurry as early as around -20 or something.

Yes, I have similar experience. As I mentioned above, mine are almost invisible and while they are not really "behind" me, they are to my left and for some reason it's very difficult to look left. I can directly look just somewhere around -50 and smaller numbers are outside of my view. It must sound crazy for people who don't experience it in similar way. :D But it's funny that I have no problem to reach negative years, even though both my number line and timeline look very similar around zero . I can go million years into the past, I can see dinosaurs between 65 million and 200 million BC, then it's a little more blurred and the scale shrinks once more and I see almost nothing except 4.5 billion BC where the Earth "ends" and the timeline starts. And then there's 13.5 billion BC floating somewhere in another dimension outside of my timeline.

Tide wrote:Thinking of it, I think I also put a lot of other properties into the colours. 9, as a deep purple number, is very elegant, just like red, which is deep red.
Speaking of that, I think I also have a little grapheme -> personality association. Eg. 1 and 3 are very happy and positive numbers, 2 and 7 are sad, 5 is arrogant and so on, but I guess this is also a common phenomenon. Some numbers and letters have stronger associations with colors or characteristics, some are more difficult to realize.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

ensimismada

Postby ensimismada » Fri May 17, 2013 8:03 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote: I a personally-coloured message in a Klingon font without looking up the letters, but it wasn't easy.

I read the blog entry, Angelastic, and it blew my mind. Synesthesia is like a super-power!

Editer

Postby Editer » Fri May 17, 2013 8:37 pm UTC

maxxxy wrote:Well... I was going to say I saw a duckie and a horsie, but I changed my mind.

:D

I can see the Apostle Paul standing there to one side.
These days, if you don't have ADD, you not paying close enough attention. -- J.P. Barlow

Editer

Postby Editer » Fri May 17, 2013 8:38 pm UTC

tho74 wrote:
cplot wrote:This is what I love about xkcd.
I didn't know about synthesia before seeing this comic, it motivated me to look it up on Wikipedia.
And now that I have it makes me appreciate the wittiness of the comic all the more :D

You re sure you looked ub synthesia, not synesthesia? And that helped you to get the joke? :)

Synesthesia isn't easy to smell.
These days, if you don't have ADD, you not paying close enough attention. -- J.P. Barlow

contrariety

Postby contrariety » Fri May 17, 2013 8:39 pm UTC

I tend to "see" numbers more as a factor tree, where numbers that have a lot of twos, threes, and fives in their factorizations are very elegant. Strongest associations between 0-1000, peaking in the 64-256 range. The prettiest numbers are 100 and 144. In general even numbers are prettier than odd numbers.

Having a factor of 7 makes a number weird (I'd actually use the term odd, but that has a different connotation when dealing with numbers) and odd numbers with factors of 11 and 13 are ugly.

Being negative detracts slightly but not very much.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Fri May 17, 2013 9:07 pm UTC

NoMouse wrote:Speaking of that, I think I also have a little grapheme -> personality association. Eg. 1 and 3 are very happy and positive numbers, 2 and 7 are sad, 5 is arrogant and so on, but I guess this is also a common phenomenon. Some numbers and letters have stronger associations with colors or characteristics, some are more difficult to realize.

Sounds like ordinal-linguistic personification. I don't have that, but apart from the colours, a few numbers have textures; 8 is dark blue and the texture of Turkish delight, and 6 is green and slippery. J has a bit of a texture too, I guess. It's sort of flaky sand.

ensimismada wrote:I read the blog entry, Angelastic, and it blew my mind. Synesthesia is like a super-power!
Blowing people's minds is my evil genius super power. :twisted: :D I thought synaesthesia sounded like a super power until I realised I had it. I think it could be why I've always been good at spelling, and why I never made the mistake of writing my friend Sindy's name as Cindy (one name's orange and the other's yellow; how could you possibly mix them up?) but sometimes it can make things harder to remember, such as when I remember or look for the colour of a number/letter (of, say, a bus route or a level in a parking building) rather than the colour it's actually written in. Or that time when I couldn't find my 'S' fridge magnet because I was expecting it to be a different colour (and then I wrote a poem about it.) But hey, if you think it's a super power, I'll add it to my list of super powers, after hair gel, levitation and myopia.

Oh GodRandall I'm linking to my blog too much aren't I; I should stop linking too much because nobody likes people who spam links everywhere, but some of them are relevant and maybe people will like them and maybe if I post enough links somebody will finally love me. Oh no, I'm a terrible person. Wait, no I'm not; I'm exactly as awesome as you.

Well I guess if I'm going to link to stuff, I may as well link to the only other thing I wrote about synaesthesia (the last italicised section of this load of desperate writing-about-writing), in which, as it turns out, I said, 'Synaesthetes were real-world superheroes, until I found out I was one.'

Meanwhile, I've been looking for a link to something I saw in New Scientist, but I can't find it. There was some kind of experiment where they had jumbles of numbers like this one, and measured whether grapheme-colour synaesthetes were faster at picking out shapes made of a certain number. I think they found that they were, but then later there was a follow-up study which found that most synaesthetes only see the colours when they're focussing on the letters/numbers individually (or in small groups, anyway) so they couldn't really see an overall colour picture just at a glance. That's the case for me.

Edit: I forgot to say, I don't have any of these positional number things, but I do think of single-digit numbers that add up to ten as bars made up of appropriate portions of the two colours. One weird thing is that 4 seems to be different colours depending on context; with 6 it is red (then the 10-bar is made of complementary colours) but in the number 42 it's blue. I think actually most of the time it's bl… wait… now that I look at that 42 I just typed, it's definitely red. I wonder if it has to do with the different ways of writing the numeral. But that's pretty much the only grapheme I have more than one colour for, although I did notice while decoding the fake Klingon that a capital G is darker than a lowercase one.
Last edited by Angelastic on Fri May 17, 2013 9:12 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

SteevyT

Postby SteevyT » Fri May 17, 2013 9:08 pm UTC

If I look at it from across the room (~10-12 feet) I see a 12 or 13. The way the two/three is written makes it look kind of like the other.

jackal

Postby jackal » Fri May 17, 2013 10:00 pm UTC

I'm actually quite shocked there are so many of you synesthetics out there. Wikipedia does say (as someone referenced earlier) that there are as many as one in twenty synesthetics in the general population, but I've never met anyone who has openly admitted to me that they have this power/gift/condition/whatever. And yet here are dozens posting on this forum.

FWIW, I have absolutely zero symptoms of synesthesia that I know of. If a number or a letter or a musical note or whatever is in black text, it's black, and it's just a number. I don't see anything, feel anything, taste anything, see it happily hanging on a curvy factorial tree-shaped number line, or anything. It's just ink on a page.

I feel all alone here...

O-Deka-K

Postby O-Deka-K » Fri May 17, 2013 10:01 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:Blowing people's minds is my evil genius super power. :twisted: :D I thought synaesthesia sounded like a super power until I realised I had it. I think it could be why I've always been good at spelling, and why I never made the mistake of writing my friend Sindy's name as Cindy (one name's orange and the other's yellow; how could you possibly mix them up?) but sometimes it can make things harder to remember, such as when I remember or look for the colour of a number/letter (of, say, a bus route or a level in a parking building) rather than the colour it's actually written in. Or that time when I couldn't find my 'S' fridge magnet because I was expecting it to be a different colour (and then I wrote a poem about it.) But hey, if you think it's a super power, I'll add it to my list of super powers, after hair gel, levitation and myopia.

Mu ha ha! Now I know your Kryptonite!

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Fri May 17, 2013 10:15 pm UTC

O-Deka-K wrote:
Angelastic wrote:Blowing people's minds is my evil genius super power. :twisted: :D I thought synaesthesia sounded like a super power until I realised I had it. I think it could be why I've always been good at spelling, and why I never made the mistake of writing my friend Sindy's name as Cindy (one name's orange and the other's yellow; how could you possibly mix them up?) but sometimes it can make things harder to remember, such as when I remember or look for the colour of a number/letter (of, say, a bus route or a level in a parking building) rather than the colour it's actually written in. Or that time when I couldn't find my 'S' fridge magnet because I was expecting it to be a different colour (and then I wrote a poem about it.) But hey, if you think it's a super power, I'll add it to my list of super powers, after hair gel, levitation and myopia.

Mu ha ha! Now I know your Kryptonite!
:shock: :| Juuust focus on the reasonably-coloured ha. Focus on the ha and the K. Don't panic…
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
my robot army.

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Fri May 17, 2013 10:19 pm UTC

jackal wrote:I'm actually quite shocked there are so many of you synesthetics out there. Wikipedia does say (as someone referenced earlier) that there are as many as one in twenty synesthetics in the general population, but I've never met anyone who has openly admitted to me that they have this power/gift/condition/whatever. And yet here are dozens posting on this forum.

There are three1 possible explanations:
1) The number of synesthetics is very underestimated (because many people don't know it's something special)
2) Synesthetics are much more likely to post in this thread than non-synesthetics (there are probably loads of people reading the comic, so the number of synesthetics here doesn't say anything about the percentage in population)
3) xkcd-readers are not general population and there is correlation between synesthesia and geekness (just my hypothesis, may not be true)
Possibly combination of more of these factors.

1Four actually: 4) We are all lying.
Last edited by NoMouse on Fri May 17, 2013 10:20 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Klear

Postby Klear » Fri May 17, 2013 10:20 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:One thing that has always shocked me about synesthesia is how common it is. I remember the subject coming up in a group of friends of mine, and in the end I felt rather left out, as I was pretty much the only one without any form of it.

I was always shocked by the fact that not everybody has this. It's not really a matter of perception, it's about... you, know, colour of ideas. Sometimes I feels like people whose ideas don't have colours must be philosophical zombies.

In any case, if you call it synesthesia, it sounds surprising that a lot of people have it. If you call it "you know how different letters have different colours?", it's surprising that not everybody has it. I've known it by the second name until not long ago and I've always seen it as an everyday part of life.

Similarly, I was very surprised to hear that most people don't remember anything before their 4th year.

@NoMouse:

I think it's #1, with a little bit of support from #2. #3 sound too much like elitism to me.

jackal

Postby jackal » Fri May 17, 2013 10:21 pm UTC

NoMouse wrote:There are three1 possible explanations:]

#3 did occur to me. ;)

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Fri May 17, 2013 10:26 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:
O-Deka-K wrote:Mu ha ha! Now I know your Kryptonite!
:shock: :| Juuust focus on the reasonably-coloured ha. Focus on the ha and the K. Don't panic…

Funny, for me it's the second ha, that is reasonably-colored. :) The rest is just completely wrong.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Fri May 17, 2013 10:31 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:But hey, if you think it's a super power, I'll add it to my list of super powers, after hair gel, levitation and myopia.

I've identified three super powers that I possess, all of them in the form of total immunity from conditions that seem to be widespread in the general population: male-pattern hair loss, seasickness, and ice-cream headache.

Klear

Postby Klear » Fri May 17, 2013 10:33 pm UTC

NoMouse wrote:
Angelastic wrote:

Funny, for me it's the second ha, that is reasonably-colored. :) The rest is just completely wrong.

You know, I thought I'd mention that the colours will obviously be different for people from different countries, but now I see NoMouse is from Czech Republic too and... how can you say ha is correct?! The red a is dominating that word and its colour.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Fri May 17, 2013 10:43 pm UTC

Klear wrote:
NoMouse wrote:
Angelastic wrote:

You know, I thought I'd mention that the colours will obviously be different for people from different countries, but now I see NoMouse is from Czech Republic too and... how can you say ha is correct?! The red a is dominating that word and its colour.

Really? For me it's dominated by the green of the H. Are your word colours usually dominated by the last letter, or by vowels, or does it depend on the word? I think I read that some people colour vowels more (or less?) than consonants.
Haiku Detector
my robot army.

O-Deka-K

Postby O-Deka-K » Fri May 17, 2013 10:45 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:I've identified three super powers that I possess, all of them in the form of total immunity from conditions that seem to be widespread in the general population: male-pattern hair loss, seasickness, and ice-cream headache.

I've hypothesized that everyone has superpowers, but most people don't know it.

A friend of mine has the power of "winning at VLTs a lot".

I seem to have the power of "fixing things by touching them". You don't know how many times this has happened:
"Can you look at my computer for me?"
(Turning it on) "Sure. What's wrong with it?"
"How did you do that!?"
"Do what?"
"Turn it on. It wasn't turning on before!"

Klear

Postby Klear » Fri May 17, 2013 10:49 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:
Klear wrote:You know, I thought I'd mention that the colours will obviously be different for people from different countries, but now I see NoMouse is from Czech Republic too and... how can you say ha is correct?! The red a is dominating that word and its colour.

Really? For me it's dominated by the green of the H. Are your word colours usually dominated by the last letter, or by vowels, or does it depend on the word? I think I read that some people colour vowels more (or less?) than consonants.

It's usually both vowels and first letter (the farther the letter, the less impact), though H is a special case, since for me it's one of the colourless letters. Or rather, it's transparent. Other letters like that are O and I (and maybe a couple of others), though I is definitely white, not transparent, and O is depending on context a lot. The result each of the letters have on the colour of words is pretty much the same though.

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Fri May 17, 2013 11:27 pm UTC

Klear wrote:
NoMouse wrote:Funny, for me it's the second ha, that is reasonably-colored. :) The rest is just completely wrong.

Haha, hi there!
Well, I agree that "a" is red, but for me the first letter is dominant. I also agree, that O and I are white/transparent.

DanAxtell

Postby DanAxtell » Sat May 18, 2013 12:20 am UTC

vjg wrote:I see dead people.

You're probably just seeing Jackie Robinson and his multiple roles in history. If one overthinks like me, one imagines a relevance that he was known as the first colored player in Major League Baseball.

XKCD has apparently descended into product placement. I have irrefutable evidence that Randall gets a commission from the producers of "42" for every moviegoer with neither synesthesia nor colorblindness, but not both or either.

[Do I need to put a smiley after this? Am I over-overthinking? Are people aware of my thoughts? Next time I'll use square brackets and the Al foil hat.]

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Sat May 18, 2013 12:40 am UTC

DanAxtell wrote:XKCD has apparently descended into product placement. I have irrefutable evidence that Randall gets a commission from the producers of "42" for every moviegoer with neither synesthesia nor colorblindness, but not both or either

Aww, I got excited about the prospect of an h2g2 movie called "42", looked it up, and found it's just another baseball movie.
Haiku Detector
my robot army.

Swivelguy

Postby Swivelguy » Sat May 18, 2013 1:54 am UTC

Having neither, I thought I saw a "98" formed by rivers of white. Turns out my 98 is just the 42 plus a couple extra lines.
EVE Online: Daesis Wrack
Starcraft 2 (US): CosmicOsmo #465
Anarchy Online (RK2): Azzamis

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Sat May 18, 2013 3:07 am UTC

Klear wrote:Similarly, I was very surprised to hear that most people don't remember anything before their 4th year.

I can do a little better than that--I have clear memories of my third birthday party, but that's the earliest that I can definitely fix a date on.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sat May 18, 2013 3:37 am UTC

Klear wrote:Similarly, I was very surprised to hear that most people don't remember anything before their 4th year
Do you mean age 4, which is the beginning of their 5th year, or their 4th year, which begins at their third birthday?

Either way, I suspect a lot of people have scattered memories from age three or so, but they aren't terribly coherent or reliable. I definitely remember my mom being pregnant with and then giving birth to my sister, which happened a few months after I turned 3, and I have a single memory I know happened when I was two, because it was of watching the Challenger explosion on TV. (It likely stuck with me because of how the adults around me were acting, as I definitely won't pretend I understood what was happening at that age.)
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Plutarch

Postby Plutarch » Sat May 18, 2013 3:58 am UTC

Editer wrote:
maxxxy wrote:Well... I was going to say I saw a duckie and a horsie, but I changed my mind.

:D

I can see the Apostle Paul standing there to one side.

Both made me laugh, I remember that cartoon. :D

Davidy

Postby Davidy » Sat May 18, 2013 4:29 am UTC

You have to gaze through and focus past the picture. I see a 3-D tiger.

Anyhow, I think this cartoon shows that Randal does read and react to the forums. A week ago there was a discussion on "Time" about synethesia and now here we are!
"It's only funny until someone loses an eye, then it's still funny but they can only see it in 2-D."

Fire Brns

Postby Fire Brns » Sat May 18, 2013 4:53 am UTC

Diadem wrote:One thing that has always shocked me about synesthesia is how common it is. I remember the subject coming up in a group of friends of mine, and in the end I felt rather left out, as I was pretty much the only one without any form of it.
Don't feel left out, it doesn't help that much. I got headaches from it which is why I always hated math class. I could almost actually stand it if I wrote the numbers out like two hundred minus seventy six but my brain still had the mental image of numbers.

I remember when I realized that it was a weird thing to have when I got into an argument with my mom at the dinner table that four was red and she insisted it was blue and my sister and dad had no clue what was going on.

dp2 wrote:I was skeptical that everyone here claiming to have synesthesia were telling the truth and/or understood what it is. But Wikipedia says it's as many as 1 in 20 (though only 1 in 90 have the color grapheme variety, which is what this comic refers to).
I was tempted to agree with this observation because there are a bunch of synesthesia hipsters who will tell you a number is two different colors if you ask them a second time. But then I figured, hey, 19 people aren't going to post that they don't have synesthesia for everyone who does post that they have it in a thread about synesthesia. I do however feel bad that the color blind are being under-represented.
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It was the Renaissance. Everyone was Italian.

arthurd006_5

Postby arthurd006_5 » Sat May 18, 2013 4:59 am UTC

Diadem wrote:I liked the joke. But synesthesia of course doesn't work like that. The exact associations are different for different people, and it seems unlikely that colour blindness would actually matter.

There's some evidence to support the last part of this; in the Reith lectures one year, Ramachandran reported a colour-blind synaesthete describing "Martian colours", which they could see through synaesthesia, but not through direct vision.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”