1214: "Geoguessr"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Quicksilver

1214: "Geoguessr"

Postby Quicksilver » Mon May 20, 2013 4:11 am UTC

Alt Text:"I'm not sure if you can get Epcot, but my friend just got LegoLand. He guessed California but it was the one in Denmark. Meanwhile, I'm rapidly becoming a connoisseur of unmarked dirt roads over flat, barren landscapes."
I've played it a bit and think it's cheap you get points even if you're way off the mark. I can relate to the flat barren landscapes too, but I usually guess Australia and its often right.

rhomboidal

Re: 1214: "Geoguessr"

Postby rhomboidal » Mon May 20, 2013 4:12 am UTC

I'm about as good at GeoGuessing as those evil movie aliens who only blow up the world's most famous landmarks and monuments. If it's not Paris, Mount Rushmore, or Giza, forget it.

xms

Postby xms » Mon May 20, 2013 4:15 am UTC

> I'm rapidly becoming a connoisseur of unmarked dirt roads over flat, barren landscapes.

A reference to the Time comic?

San Fran Sam

Postby San Fran Sam » Mon May 20, 2013 5:10 am UTC

Well, it could be worse. You could be playing "The View From Your Window" Contest.

http://dish.andrewsullivan.com/2013/05/ ... ontest-52/

No walking around. Enlarging doesn't help. You're on your own.
Last edited by San Fran Sam on Mon May 20, 2013 3:06 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Mon May 20, 2013 5:11 am UTC

San Fran Sam wrote:Well, it could be worse. You could be playing "The View From Your Window".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmJUbzu6RSU

DrZiro

Postby DrZiro » Mon May 20, 2013 5:13 am UTC

The example is a bit odd. The one in Denmark is the original, so that kind of proves the opposite of the point.

zerox

Postby zerox » Mon May 20, 2013 5:34 am UTC

DrZiro wrote:The example is a bit odd. The one in Denmark is the original, so that kind of proves the opposite of the point.

Which American is going to believe that?

KyleOwens

Postby KyleOwens » Mon May 20, 2013 5:43 am UTC

zerox wrote:Which American is going to believe that?

I for one tend to disregard anything a danish tells me.

firestar27

Postby firestar27 » Mon May 20, 2013 6:09 am UTC

KyleOwens wrote:I for one tend to disregard anything a danish tells me.

I too tend to ignore the advice of baked goods.

jpk

Postby jpk » Mon May 20, 2013 6:09 am UTC

KyleOwens wrote:
zerox wrote:Which American is going to believe that?

I for one tend to disregard anything a danish tells me.

An eclair on the other hand, is absolutely trustworthy.

PsiSquared

Postby PsiSquared » Mon May 20, 2013 6:42 am UTC

I liked the humour in this one, but the Parthenon in Nashville looks nothing like the original. It may be a replica, but it also looks brand new. That should have been a clear hint for the player that it ain't the one in Athens.

(Yeah, I know, nit-picking. At XKCD. Who would have believed?)

kkt

Postby kkt » Mon May 20, 2013 6:45 am UTC

Neat game. I can see another time sink coming on.

Speaking of replicas, there's a Stonehenge in Maryhill, Washington State...

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Mon May 20, 2013 7:29 am UTC

Best are those ones when it throws you into a single panoramic picture with generic landscape, you can't go anywhere and there's not a single sign with text.

Also I don't know if it's just me but it keeps placing me into New Zealand more often than it randomly should.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

jareds

Postby jareds » Mon May 20, 2013 7:47 am UTC

My very first GeoGuess: "OK, this street sign looks Dutch, but this is quite a rural area." Zoom in on Netherlands, click on a patch of farmland at random... and of course the right answer is in South Africa.

geospacedman

Postby geospacedman » Mon May 20, 2013 7:50 am UTC

PsiSquared wrote:I liked the humour in this one, but the Parthenon in Nashville looks nothing like the original. It may be a replica, but it also looks brand new. That should have been a clear hint for the player that it ain't the one in Athens.

(Yeah, I know, nit-picking. At XKCD. Who would have believed?)

Maybe Google built (will build?) a time machine and go back and do StreetView through history.

The one in Nashville is also made of concrete, not marble and stone like the original. Apart from that minor detail its a perfect replica even down to the slight curves everywhere. There are hardly any straight lines on it. I've been to both now. Any more Parthenon replicas I need to visit?

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Mon May 20, 2013 7:57 am UTC

I've actually heard that the Parthenon replica in Nashville is actually a really well-done temple.

usr_share

Postby usr_share » Mon May 20, 2013 8:16 am UTC

I was quite lucky on my first try. The first place had a sign in Spanish and a distinctly non-Spanish view, so I chose Mexico. The second one was in Quebec, as there was a stop sign saying "ARRET". The third one had no clues, but yellow lines led me to a reasonably accurate guess of the middle of the U.S. The fourth one was in Russia, but I mistook St. Petersburg for Moscow. The last one, though, was a total miss.

AtG

Postby AtG » Mon May 20, 2013 8:26 am UTC

zerox wrote:
DrZiro wrote:The example is a bit odd. The one in Denmark is the original, so that kind of proves the opposite of the point.

Which American is going to believe that?

Of course it's Billund, Denmark. The company is Danish. The original Legoland predates the one in Californa by 31 years.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Mon May 20, 2013 8:56 am UTC

25748 is my best so far.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Alphonse

Postby Alphonse » Mon May 20, 2013 9:14 am UTC

OK, what rules should we follow? Can we Google the names of the places? Using only GeoGuessr and my knowledge, my high score was 9837, but I would perform significantly better if I could search online for more information...

Titanium Dragon

Postby Titanium Dragon » Mon May 20, 2013 9:14 am UTC

Second try: 31974 points

~url spoilered for being page-breakingly wide.

Beat that. The worst of them was the road in the middle of nowhere in freaking Botswana. I had to walk like a mile along the road to find a pair of signs that gave the distances to the two cities, and then figure out where exactly that was. In fact, that was how I found a lot of the locations. It worked shockingly well. Got a bit lucky being in civilized territory for several of them though.

EDIT: One interesting thing this pointed out to me is that, even without GPS, thanks to Google, you can probably figure out where you are in the world by wandering around looking for signs, and then Googling. If you get teleported to some random location on a road on the planet, you could probably figure out where you were within a short period of time even without asking people for help.

Izmaki

Postby Izmaki » Mon May 20, 2013 9:36 am UTC

This proves how little Americans know about Denmark (and Scandinavia in general). At least no one questioned why people are talking about the capital of IKEA... Don't mind me - I'm just facinated of how little people know about a country that exports more quality bacon than any other. :P

Vanzetti

Postby Vanzetti » Mon May 20, 2013 10:19 am UTC

Titanium Dragon wrote:Second try: 31974 points

~URL spoilered again for still being page-breakingly wide.

Beat that. The worst of them was the road in the middle of nowhere in freaking Botswana. I had to walk like a mile along the road to find a pair of signs that gave the distances to the two cities, and then figure out where exactly that was. In fact, that was how I found a lot of the locations. It worked shockingly well. Got a bit lucky being in civilized territory for several of them though.

EDIT: One interesting thing this pointed out to me is that, even without GPS, thanks to Google, you can probably figure out where you are in the world by wandering around looking for signs, and then Googling. If you get teleported to some random location on a road on the planet, you could probably figure out where you were within a short period of time even without asking people for help.

This is cheating. You are not supposed to walk around.

Klear

Postby Klear » Mon May 20, 2013 10:24 am UTC

It doesn't matter which one is the original, though, does it? The picture could be either of them. He could have explored a bit, read some signs and such, to narrow it down.

Vanzetti wrote:This is cheating. You are not supposed to walk around.

If you're not supposed to walk around, why is there the "return to the start location" button?

I feel like I'm cheating when I google some landmark (such as a restaurant in South Africa I got), but who cares? Play it the way you like, I guess.

Titanium Dragon wrote:The worst of them was the road in the middle of nowhere in freaking Botswana. I had to walk like a mile along the road to find a pair of signs that gave the distances to the two cities, and then figure out where exactly that was.

I got a snowy road in the middle of nowhere once. I followed it for several minutes looking for signs, but nothing. Eventually I gave up and placed it in a random place in Norway - and I was within 100 km!

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Mon May 20, 2013 10:24 am UTC

So, you are not supposed to walk around though the feature is available in the game, but you are supposed to use google (or more generic: the rest of the internet) to get hints though the feature is not available inside the game?

Klear

Postby Klear » Mon May 20, 2013 10:49 am UTC

Flumble wrote:

So, you are not supposed to walk around though the feature is available in the game, but you are supposed to use google (or more generic: the rest of the internet) to get hints though the feature is not available inside the game?

Well, he didn't say that you should be using google. The way I see it, the most honest approach is to just look around and try to guess. I enjoy finding signs and googling the precise location though. To each their own I guess.

arthurd006_5

Postby arthurd006_5 » Mon May 20, 2013 11:05 am UTC

Flumble wrote:

Nobody invited you to accuse him/her of consistency :D

ashnur

Postby ashnur » Mon May 20, 2013 12:08 pm UTC

My best score was bit.ly/116uPQi (28394) but it was really because of the C question, which was one park in Japan from which I could not get out. Of course I could've use google, but that is kind of cheating, so I have not used it. If I've gotten 5K+ there my score would be at least ~31K
Last edited by ashnur on Mon May 20, 2013 12:10 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Titanium Dragon

Postby Titanium Dragon » Mon May 20, 2013 12:10 pm UTC

Everyone has their own way of doing it. Obviously if you just stand and look around, and don't use Google, you're going to get a lower score than those who walk around, or use Google, and in turn the highest scoring people will be the people who wander around AND use Google.

But really, I find a lot of the fun wandering around and actually looking for clues, then using Google to narrow it down. If you can get the exact spot on Google Maps, all the better.

ashnur

Postby ashnur » Mon May 20, 2013 12:13 pm UTC

Well, with google you can find the place much faster. Like for example, in Brazil road numbers are really hard to find. Or when I was put in Croatia on a small island, I knew the country and I knew some city names instantly, but it took me more than half an hour to find a road number to be able to find that damned island on the map.

dexeron

Postby dexeron » Mon May 20, 2013 12:31 pm UTC

You can really do it two ways: "pro-mode" - you have to figure it out based on only the knowledge in your head, apparently of international botany, geology, landmarks and language. I can't get much over 9000 that way.

Then there's "My really odd kidnappers left me with a smart phone when they dumped me in a random location mode". Using google and google maps, I can usually get in the 20000s, and beat 30000 once.

Both ways are fun, especially because the second mode often means having to figure out how to enter Cyrillic, Japanese or Korean characters into Google - and determining WHICH characters are actually useful to narrow down a location.
By and by, when the sidewalks are safe for the little guy...

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon May 20, 2013 12:55 pm UTC

kkt wrote:Neat game. I can see another time sink coming on.

Speaking of replicas, there's a Stonehenge in Maryhill, Washington State...

Bah. I bought my kid a desktop Stonehenge for a stocking-stuffer. Went well with the desktop Easter Island Heads kit.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Mon May 20, 2013 1:04 pm UTC

Carlington wrote:25748 is my best so far.

For clarity's sake, since it's been discussed, this was like my fifth try, and I didn't use Google but I did walk around.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Titanium Dragon

Postby Titanium Dragon » Mon May 20, 2013 1:19 pm UTC

dexeron wrote:You can really do it two ways: "pro-mode" - you have to figure it out based on only the knowledge in your head, apparently of international botany, geology, landmarks and language. I can't get much over 9000 that way.

Then there's "My really odd kidnappers left me with a smart phone when they dumped me in a random location mode". Using google and google maps, I can usually get in the 20000s, and beat 30000 once.

Both ways are fun, especially because the second mode often means having to figure out how to enter Cyrillic, Japanese or Korean characters into Google - and determining WHICH characters are actually useful to narrow down a location.

When I ended up in Japan, my method was to look around for a sign with Latin lettering, which fortunately was the name of the city I was in, and I found what looked like a highway designation (it was). When I was in Poland, I had a hard time because all the names of stores turned out to be big chains or otherwise non-specific, because I don't speak Polish - so I had to find a sign indicating cities and highways, which gave me my exact location (there are only so many three way intersections with two highways and three cities, each in a different direction, after all).

Andromeda321

Postby Andromeda321 » Mon May 20, 2013 1:37 pm UTC

This cracked me up as I just spent a few more hours than I'm willing to admit to playing this game. :)

Curiously I got LegoLand too... but got it right because I have no idea why one would pick the one in California over Lego's home in Denmark (heck there's one in Orlando now too!). The fact that the people are dressed up in cold-weather clothing also made it a bit of a better educated guess.

Klear

Postby Klear » Mon May 20, 2013 1:48 pm UTC

Andromeda321 wrote:Curiously I got LegoLand too... but got it right because I have no idea why one would pick the one in California over Lego's home in Denmark (heck there's one in Orlando now too!). The fact that the people are dressed up in cold-weather clothing also made it a bit of a better educated guess.

But why wouldn't it be the legoland in California? The clothing is a good clue though.

Kain

Postby Kain » Mon May 20, 2013 2:04 pm UTC

So far, my best without using google was 11844
Spoiler:
(om?v=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)

Would have been a bit better, but that northern Canada one looked rather similar to Colorado in the summer, and as the sun was at the horizon I couldn't really get a sense of latitude.
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

Fire Brns

Postby Fire Brns » Mon May 20, 2013 2:21 pm UTC

What about the Legoland in Florida?
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It was the Renaissance. Everyone was Italian.

AussieJono

Postby AussieJono » Mon May 20, 2013 2:47 pm UTC

xms wrote:> I'm rapidly becoming a connoisseur of unmarked dirt roads over flat, barren landscapes.

A reference to the Time comic?

More like reference to #915. If you lock people in a box for a year with 500 pictures of unmarked dirt roads over flat, barren landscapes then they're bound to start finding some more aesthetically appealing than others.
<pretentious quote> </pretentious quote>

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”